creek, where he spent four years in the cattle business. He then purchased a place
on First creek and made his home thereon for five or six years, during which time he
.engaged in farming and also in cattle raising. He next removed to his present loca-
tion near Derby and is now cultivating three hundred and twenty acres of land, which
he devotes to the raising of various cereals and crops best adapted to the soil and
climate. In addition he still owns his one hundred and sixty acres on First creek.
He likewise owns another place, in Douglas county, upon which he is raising cattle,
and thus his business interests are extensive and important.
While in Tacoma, Washington, on the 6th of May, 1891, Mr. Crowley was married
to Miss Nellie V. Connors. Their children are: John J.; Anna D., the wife of Frank
Sandell, by whom she has one child, Stella A.; William, deceased; Francis P., who is
a member of the United States army, now in France; Robert Hales; Kathleen Mary;
and Helen Irene.
Mr. Crowley gives his political allegiance to the democratic party. For three
terms he served as school director and is a stalwart champion of the cause of public
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
education. His religious faith is that of the Roman Catholic church, his membership
being in the Sacred Heart church at Denver. He is interested in all that pertains to
the welfare and progress of the community in which he makes his home. Liberally
educated, he was well trained for life's practical and responsible duties and has made
wise use of his time, talents and opportunities as the years have passed. Coming to
570 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Colorado when it was still a frontier district, he has heen identified with its substantial
and permanent development and has contributed in no small measure to the advance-
ment of its farming and stock raising interests.
GEORGE J. W. LONGMORE.
George J. W. Longmore, a substantial and representative citizen of Boulder county,
was appointed postmaster of the town of Louisville in 1915 and has since ably dis-
charged the duties of that office. His birth occurred in Scotland on the 3d of Sep-
tember, 1882, his parents being Thomas and Rebecca (Boustead) Longmore, who spent
their entire lives in that country.
George J. W. Longmore, the youngest in a family of fifteen children, was reared
and educated in the land of his nativity and there remained until he had reached the
age of twenty-three years. In 1905 he crossed the Atlantic to the United States and
came direct to Colorado, taking up his abode in Boulder county and securing the posi-
tion of cashier in a bank at Lafayette. He continued in that responsible capacity for
six years, on the expiration of which period he embarked in the insurance business at
Louisville and was thus successfully engaged until appointed postmaster of the town
in 1915, in which connection lie has since made a most creditable and commendable
record. He has acquired considerable property holdings in Louisville and has long
been numbered among the prominent and progressive citizens of the community.
In January, 1911, Mr. Longmore was united in marriage to Miss Ellen Wilson, a
daughter of Thomas Wilson, of Corning, Ohio. They have become parents of two
children, T. Wilson and Catherine Janet.
In politics Mr. Longmore is a stalwart democrat, believing firmly in the principles
of that party, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist
Episcopal church. He has never had occasion to regret his determination to try his
fortune in the new world, for here he has found the opportunities which he sought
and in their wise utilization has won success, at the same time gaining the high regard
and esteem of those with whom he has been associated. A young man of energy, enter-
prise and progressive spirit, the future holds tor him splendid promise.
John Moody, a merchant of Hygiene, was born in Maryland, September 9, 18G4,
a son of Richard and Mary J. (Gray) Moody, both of whom were natives of England.
They came to America in the year 1853 and settled in Maryland, where they were
married in 1855. They continued residents of that state for a third of a century or
until 1886, when they removed westward to Nebraska and settled on a farm which
continued to be their place of residence throughout their remaining days, both father
and mother dying in that state. They had a family of twelve children, eight of whom
are yet living.
The youthful days of John Moody were passed in Maryland and the public school
system of the state afforded him his educational opportunities. In 1887 he became
a resident of Nebraska, where he togk up a timber claim of which he is still the
owner. In 1888. however, he went to Wyoming and there followed coal mining until
the fall of that year, when he removed to Colorado. Throughout the intervening period
or tor more than thirty years, he has made his home in this state. He was engaged in
merchandising at Perigo, Colorado, tor a period of eight years and in 1904 he took up
his abode in Hygiene, where he established a store and has since dealt in general
merchandise. He has an excellent stock of goods and is liberally patronized owing to
his earnest efforts to please his patrons and his straightforward dealings. In 1907 he
was appointed postmaster of the town by President Roosevelt and has since continued
in that position.
In 1890 Mr. Moody was married to Miss Ellen Young, a native of England, who
came to America in 1872. She is a daughter of Samuel and Anna Young, also natives
of England but now residents of Idaho. To Mr. and Mrs. Moody have been born six
children: Pearl M., the wife of George W. Hildenbrandt; Marietta, the wife of L. W.
Wells; Bertha M.; Edith Ploy; Charles R.; and one who died in infancy.
Mr. Moody has always been a republican in his political views, believing firmly
in the principles of the party. He has served as city clerk and has also been a mem-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 571
ber of the school board. He belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and has
filled some of the chairs of the local lodge. He is likewise a member of the Modern
Woodmen of America and served as its clerk for a number of years. He and his wife
are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, taking an active Interest
in all that pertains to its growth and the extension of its influence. In a business
way, too, his record is most creditable, for it illustrates clearly what can be accom-
plished through persistent and earnest effort guided by sound judgment. His business
connections have brought him a wide acquaintance in the sectiort in which he lives
and everywhere he is spoken of in terms of high regard.
SAMUEL VAN NESS ROGERS.
Samuel Van Ness Rogers, who became a resident of Colorado in the period of its
early development, was born in Rockbridge county, Virginia, June 14, 1840. His
ancestry on the paternal side is traced back to the early colonial period In American
history, and on the maternal side he came of German and Irish ancestry. In early
life he was for a number of years engaged in business in Virginia. Coming to Colorado
in 1875, he located in Tallahassee Basin or Gulch and afterward went to the present
site of Salida, where he expected to homestead. A snow storm, however, prevented
him from carrying out his plans and later he found the district which he had intended
to homestead had been taken up as a town site. From Salida he proceeded to the San
Luis valley, settling near Villa Grove in Saguache county. There and in Wet Mountain
valley he became one of the most successful ranchers and cattlemen of the entire state,
conducting extensive interests along that line.
On the 19th of December. 1867. Mr. Rogers was united in marriage to Miss Martha
A. Hill, who was born near La Fayette, Indiana. There were six children in the family
of Mr. and Mrs. Rogers and there are also seven grandchildren and two great-grand-
children. The children still living are: Mrs. Pearl G. Reinhardt, of Wallace. Idaho;
Claude S. Rogers, who is connected with the zinc plant at Caiion City; James L., of
Longmont; and Mrs. Annette Bibler, of Canon City.
The husband and father retired from active business in 1905 and spent his remain-
ing days, covering a period of five years, in the enjoyment of well earned rest, passing
away in 1910. His widow survives and is now living in Canon City.
P. D. NELSON.
P. D. Nelson, a member of the Colorado bar practicing at Berthoud, Larimer
county, was born in Shelby county. Iowa, January 15, 1877, a son of J. C. and Bergette
(Miller) Nelson, who are natives of Denmark. The parents came to America in 1874
and settled in Iowa, where they were identified with farming interests until 1910.
The father then retired from active business life and removed to Denver, where he
and his wife still make their home, enjoying in well earned rest the fruits of their
former toil. They became the parents of seven children, five of whom are living.
P. D. Nelson was reared and educated in Iowa. The public schools afforded him
his opportunities of mastering the common branches of English learning and some of
the sciences and later he pursued a course in the Denver Law School, from which he
was graduated with the class of 1906, for he had determined to make law practice
his life work. In January. 1907, he opened an office in Berthoud, Larimer, county,
■where he has since remained and through the intervening years he has built up a
clientage that is now large and of a distinctively representative character.
In 1904 Mr. Nelson was united in marriage to Miss Mildred Kissell, a native of
Iowa City, Iowa, and a daughter of H. B. and Elizabeth Kissell, who were natives of
Pennsylvania but became residents of Iowa during the pioneer epoch in its history,
there residing during the greater part of their lives. The father is now deceased, but
the mother is still living and makes her home with Mr. and Mrs. Nelson, who have
one child, Verna E., born February 9, 1917. Thus three generations are represented
In the household.
Fraternally Mr. Nelson Is a Mason, belonging to Berthoud Lodge No. 83, in which
he has filled all of the chairs. He is also identified with the Knights of Pythias, the
Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen of America as well as with the
572 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Eastern Star. Poli*ically he is a republican and is a recognized leader in the local
ranks of his party, his opinions carrying weight in its councils. He has been called
upon to represent his district in the general assembly, having been a member during
the twentieth session. He stands loyally for whatever he believes to be for the best
interests of the community and his worth as a man and citizen is widely acknowledged.
His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church.
MARY E. FORD, M. D.
Among the women who have done splendid professional work in Denver is Dr.
Mary E. Ford, physician, whose large practice is indicative of the confidence reposed in
her and of the ability which she has displayed in carrying on her chosen lite work.
Dr. Ford is a native of Pennsylvania, her birth having occurred in Indiana county,
that state, on Che 31st of January, 1865, her parents being Robert and Jane (Beatty)
Ford. The father came to America from Ireland, his native land, while the mother
was born in Pennsylvania. Robert Ford engaged in mercantile pursuits in Allegheny
City, Pennsylvania, and both he and his wife remained residents of that city for many
years, continuing there to the time of their demise.
Dr. Ford was the youngest of their family of five children. She attended the
public schools of Allegheny City and also became a student in the normal school in
Indiana, after which she entered the Boston University School of Medicine and was
graduated therefrom with the class of 1896. For a short period she engaged in prac-
tice in Allegheny City and then came to Denver, where she arrived in 1896. She has
since been engaged in the general practice of medicine and has been very successful.
Her ability is acknowledged by the general public and by the profession and her prac-
tice has steadily grown with the passing years. She is most conscientious in the per-
formance of all of her professional duties and is deeply interested in anything that
tends to bring to man the key to the complex mystery which we call life. She has
continued her studies, keeping in touch with the latest investigation and research
work, and while she does not hastily discard old and time-tried methods, she yet
eagerly takes up every new idea which her judgment sanctions as of value in her pro-
ZOPHER DE FOREST HAVENS.
If truth stands in the old adage that "opportunity knocks but once," it is evi-
dent that Zopher De Forest Havens responded at once to the call, for his business
career has been one of steady advancement in which he has utilized every chance for
progress. He was born in Atlantic, Iowa, January 24, 1874, a son of R. W. and Eliza-
beth (Hammond) Havens, who are natives of Michigan. They removed to Iowa at
an early day and the father there engaged in bridge construction work for the Rock
Island Railway Company throughout the state of Iowa. He remained a resident of
that section of the country until the fall of 1892, when he removed to South Omaha,
where he resided until June. 1917, when he removed to Denver, where he is now living
retired from active business. His wife also survives. Their family numbers three
children: Verne Le Roy, who is attache of the American department of commerce
in Santiago, Chile: Zopher D., of this review: and Alice E., who was principal of the
high school at South Omaha, Nebraska, at the time of her death there in March, 1902.
Zopher D. Havens spent his youthful days as a pupil in the public schools of Atlantic,
Iowa, and became a resident of South Omaha in 1893, at which time he entered into
active connection with the live stock business at the stock yards. There he remained
for twelve years, after which he located on a large ranch in Antelope county and
operated in the South Omaha stock yards at the same time. He continued in Ante-
lope county until March, 1915, when he entered into the live stock business on his
own account, starting in a small way and opening an office in Denver. His interests
have since grown to extensive proportions and for actual yard trading this firm handles
about as many cattle as any concern in Denver. He handles cattle exclusively and
is at the head of one of the important and representative firms of the Denver yards,
being president, treasurer and general manager of The Havens Live Stock Company,
which was incorporated in the fall of 1917.
On the 28th of September, 1892, in South Omaha, Mr. Havens was married to
Z. D. HAVENS
574 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Miss Annis M. Bennett, a daughter of Lindsey and Mary (Logan) Bennett, of At-
lantic. Iowa. Their children are five in number: Grace, now Mrs. George G. Hays,
was born in Atlantic, Iowa, in October, 1S94, and was graduated from the high school
in South Omaha but is now residing near Golden, Colorado. Mr. and Mrs. Hays have
a son, Verne Le Roy, who was born November 17, 1918. Mabel E. died in infancy.
Rial C, who was born April 6, 1897, in South Omaha, attended the South Omaha
schools, also the Boyles Commercial College of Omaha, Nebraska, and the Barnes
Commercial School of Denver and is now with the United States Marines at Fort
Lyons, holding the rank of corporal. Alice E., who was born in Neligh, Nebraska,
June 22, 1903, is attending school in Denver. "Walter D., who was born in Clearwater,
Nebraska, May 28, 1908, is also a pupil in the grades of Denver.
Fraternally Mr. Havens is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, having been a representative of the
former for twenty years. He is a republican in his political views yet holds principle
above party and does not hesitate to cast an independent ballot if his judgment so
dictates. In religious faith he is a Presbyterian. His has been an active and well
spent life, characterized by high principles and honorable purposes and resulting in
the successful achievement of his plans. His course proves that prosperity and an
honored name may be won simultaneously.
JAMES FIELD WILLARD.
James Field Willard. professor of history in the University of Colorado, was born
in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1876. His father, Edward Mahlon Willard, was born
in Philadelphia in 1S42 and was a son of Lewis Rue Willard, a native of Pennsylvania,
born in the year 1810. He in turn was the son of Thomas Willard, who was born in
Pennsylvania in 1780, indicative of the fact that the family became connected with
that state in colonial days. Edward Mahlon Willard was married in Davisville, Penn-
sylvania, in 1874 to Elizabeth Prudence Field, a daughter of James Field. He devoted
his life to the lumber business in Philadelphia and there passed away in 1897, having
for more than a decade survived his wife, who died in 1886.
James Field Willard, whose name introduces this review, began his education in
the public schools of Philadelphia and jn 1898 was graduated from the University of
Pennsylvania with the degree of Bachelor of Science. He afterward spent two years
as a student in the University of Wisconsin at Madison in post-graduate work and later
returned to the University of Pennsylvania, which in 1902 conferred upon him the
degree of Doctor of Philosophy. From 1902 until 1904 he was teaching history at the
Northwestern University of Evanston, Illinois, after which he spent two years as Har-
rison Fellow for Research at the University of Pennsylvania. In 1906 he became con-
nected with the University of Colorado at Boulder as assistant professor of history
and in 1907 was made professor of history, which position he has since occupied.
On the 4th of January, 1912, in Boulder. Professor Willard was married to Miss
Margaret Love Wheeler, a daughter of Stephen and Mary Kathleen Wheeler. They
have one child, Mary Kathleen Willard. Professor Willard belongs to the Alpha Chi
Rho fraternity. In politics he maintains an independent course. He largely concen-
trates his efforts and attention upon his work in the educational field, where he has
won a position of distinction, having specialized in mediaeval history in England and
the history of mediaeval taxation in that country. A book entitled The Union Colony
at Greeley, Colorado, 1869-1871, published in 1918, by the university, was edited with
introduction and notes by Mr. Willard.
SCHUYLER C. PECK.
Schuyler C. Peck, to whom opportunity has ever been a call to action, is now
the secretary and assistant treasurer of the Denver Coal By-Products Company, but the
extent and importance of his business interests do not monopolize his time to the
exclusion of active participation in public affairs at the present crisis In history, for
he is now serving as chief clerk on the United States exemption board No. 6, of Denver
and in every possible way is doing everything in his power to aid in promoting the
interests of his country.
Mr. Peck is a native of Michigan and a record of his family is given in connection
HISTORY OF COLORADO 575
with the sketch of Dr. G. S. Peck on another page of this work. He was educated in
the public schools of Buchanan. Jlichigan, to the age of seventeen years and then
started out to earn his own living, being first employed as a telegraph operator by the
Michigan Central Railroad Company. He continued in that work for four years and
was afterward advanced to the position of ticket agent at Saginaw, Michigan, with
the same road, filling the latter position until 1900, when he removed to Colorado,
settling in Denver, where he arrived on the 1st day of December, 1900. Here he estab-
lished the Peck Delivery Company and conducted the business successfully until 1912,
when he sold his interests in that line and became one of the organizers of the Denver
Coal By-Products Company, with which he has since been actively identified, filling
the offices of secretary and assistant treasurer. He has contributed in marked measure
to the success of the undertaking, which has rapidly developed and has become one
of the profitable concerns of the kind in the city.
Mr. Peck has been married twice. In Hastings, Nebraska, on the 22d of October,
1890, he wedded Miss Theresa Byerlein, a native of Saginaw, Michigan, and to them
were born two children: Marguerite, whose birth occurred July S, 1892, in Saginaw,
Michigan, and who is now the wife of Emile R. Mayer, of Brighton. Colorado; and Ruth,
who was born in Denver, March 14, 1902. Mrs. Peck passed away on the day of the birth
of her daughter Ruth at the age of thirty-two years. Mr.. Pack afterward married Miss
Harriet M. C. Vincent, a native of Canada, the wedding being celebrated in Denver,
April 8, 1903. Of the second marriage a son and a daughter have been born: Sidney J.,
who was born in Denver in August, 1905; and Dorothy J. C, born In Stonewall, Mani-
toba, June 15, 1909.
Mr. Peck is a man of domestic tastes who finds his greatest happiness at his own
fireside and he and his family are pleasantly located at No. 2336 Race street. In poli-
tics Mr. Peck is a republican. He belongs to Palestine Lodge, A. F. & A. M.. and was
the first master of the lodge, which was organized in June, 1918. He also has mem-
bership in Colorado Chapter. No. 29, R. A. M.; in Denver Commandery, No. 25, K. T.,
of which he served as eminent commander in 1908; and in El Jebel Temple A. A. O.
N. M. S. He likewise has membership in the Denver Civic and Commercial Association,
in the Rotary Club, and in St. Stephen's Episcopal church. In the last named he has
served for a number of years as vestryman and takes active and helpful part in pro-
moting the church work. In fact, his aid and influence are always on the side of
progress and improvement, whether relative to individual or community advancement
or relating to the material, intellectual, social or moral progress of the city.
WILLIAM L. HAUPTLI.
William Hauptli, vice president of the First National Bank of Wellington, Colo-
rado, was born in Norfolk, Nebraska, March 22, 1887, a son of Jacob and Euricka
(Krueger) Hauptli, the former a native of Switzerland, while the latter was born in
Germany. Jacob Hauptli came to the new world in 1874 and took up his abode in
California, but after a time removed to Norfolk, Nebraska, where he has resided for
the past twenty-two years, devoting his attention in large measure to railroading. His
wife is also living.
William L. Hauptli was reared and educated in Norfolk. Nebraska, and after his
textbooks were put aside he turned his attention to the banking business, securing a
position as bookkeeper in the Citizens National Bank of Norfolk, in which he after-
ward won promotion until he had become assistant cashier of that institution. He
subsequently went to Monowi and accepted the position of cashier in the Monowi State
Bank, remaining there for four years. He afterward came to Colorado in November,
1916, and settling in Wellington, purchased the First National Bank in connection with
H. B. Persons. They have the controlling interest in this institution and have since
successfully conducted it. The bank is capitalized for twenty-five thousand dollars
and has surplus and undivided profits amounting to more than eleven thousand dollars,
while its deposits reach one hundred and eighty-five thousand dollars. The bank is
enjoying a prosperous existence, owing to the enterprising methods and progressive-
ness of the leading stockholders. Mr. Hauptli also has farming interests here and
likewise conducts an insurance business, in which connection he has gained a large
In October, 1914. Mr. Hauptli was married to Miss Norene W. McCandless, a daugh-
ter of C. S. and Jennie McCandless, who were born in Pennsylvania and became pioneer
settlers of North Dakota. The father was a cement contractor but is now living retired.
576 HISTORY OF COLORADO
making his home at Hemet, California. Mr. and Mrs. Hauptli have one child, Winfred
H., born January 9, 1916.
The religious faith of Mr. and Mrs. Hauptli is that of the German Lutheran church
and fraternally Mr. Hauptli is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of
Elks. In politics he is a republican, well informed on the questions and issues of
the day. but he does not seek nor desire office. He has made steady progress along'
business lines, and experience and study are constantly broadening his knowledge and