City. Montana, and from that point proceeded to Helena, Montana, after which he
went down the Missouri river to meet the boats at the head of navigation at Fort
Benton. There he bought freight which he hauled to Helena, where he sold it. Again
he went to Salt Lake and loaded his wagon train for Virginia City, where he disposed
of his goods and then returned to Salt Lake. From that point he proceeded to Los
Angeles, California, for freight, making the return trip with goods to Salt Lake and
to Helena and continuing to do business in that way until 1S69. In the summer of
1868 he also put up hay at Fort Shaw, on Sun river, for the government, stacking
as much as eight hundred tons. In the winter of 1869 he returned to Illinois but
in the spring of 1870 made his way to Denver, where he began handling cattle, con-
tinuing actively in that business until 1874, when he turned his attention to the agri-
cultural implement business in partnership with Henry Lee. Their association was
maintained for four years, at the end of which time Mr. Coulehan removed to a farm
of one hundred and sixty acres, four and a half miles west of Denver, on West Forty-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
606 HISTORY OF COLORADO
fourth avenue, then known as Jefferson avenue, and a mile west of Berkeley. Mr.
Coulehan purchased the claim, which he converted into one of the valuable farm
properties of the state. He brought his land under a very high state of cultivation
and supplied it with adequate water, installing a complete system of ditches, with
individual and perpetual water rights. He planted sixteen acres to fruit and one
hundred acres to alfalfa, while the remainder of his land was devoted to the raising
of grain and vegetables. He also made a specialty of raising fine hogs and cattle and
all branches of his business proved profitable. He was likewise interested in mining,
owning stock in the Ade Consolidated Mining Company, besides having interests in
On the 16th of February, 1874, Mr. Coulehan was united in marriage to Miss
Catherine C. Mahan, a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Thomas
and Helen (Feley) Mahan. About the year 1855 her father made his way westward
to Iowa and engaged in farming near Iowa City, where the family soon afterward
joined him. The parents spent their remaining days in that state, where they were
numbered among the pioneers and held membership in the Old Settlers' Society.
Mrs. Coulehan was educated in the public schools of Iowa City and in the State
University and afterward became a teacher in the public schools. She is now prominent
in those activities to which woman directs her efforts. She is an active member of the
Catholic church, an honorary member of the Colorado Pioneers' Society and the second
vice president of the Pioneers Ladies Aid Society. To Mr. and Mrs. Coulehan were
born six children, of whom the only daughter died in infancy. The five sons are:
John T., a railway engineer; M. J., a contractor: Robert E., a ranchman living in
Wyoming; Leo C, an expert accountant, now in the military service of his country
as a brigade sergeant in the Cactus Division; and William J., who is in charge of the
Mr. Coulehan departed this life May 22, 1899. Of Catholic faith, he was a devout
churchman. He was exceedingly charitable and was actively interested in the estab-
lishment and welfare of St. Joseph's Hospital and of the Orphans' Home. He gave
freely of his means to assist in various benevolent projects and as he prospered in
his undertakings his charities were proportionately greater. There was no feature
of pioneer life in Colorado with which he was not familiar and with the gradual
development and growth of the sections in which he lived he was closely and help-
ROBERT B. MONTGOMERY.
Stock interests in Boulder county, Colorado, are ably represented by Robert B.
Montgomery, a successful agriculturist having a valuable farm property near Lyons,
on section 21. A native of Iowa, he was born in Marion county October 28, 1848, a
son of William and Mary (Dawson) Montgomery, the former a native of Maryland
and the latter of Virginia. In his younger days the father was a sailor and early
in the development of that state he removed to Iowa and there engaged in farming
in Marion county, where he acquired land which he operated for many years and
upon which he placed many improvements. In the 'SOs he sold and came to Boulder
county, where he bought a small place of forty acres near Hygiene. He subsequently
sold this property and made his home with his son, Alexander M., in Lyons until his
death. His wife has also passed away.
In the acquirement of his education Robert B. Montgomery attended school in
Marion county and early assisted his father in the management of the farm there.
In 1867, however, at the age of nineteen, he started across the plains with a mule
team, headed for Colorado, walking most of the way. The trip consumed forty-one
days before Boulder county was reached and was fraught with dangers and hard-
ships. For a while he worked out by the month but subsequently bought a farm on
the Little Thompson and there engaged in the live stock business for a number of
years and to good purpose but finally sold out and acquired his present place of
eighty acres. He has brought his land to a high state of cultivation and has in many
ways improved the property. He has set out four hundred apple trees, now deriving
from this source a gratifying addition to his income, and moreover, has put up suit-
able buildings and instituted modern equipment until now his is considered one of
the valuable properties of the neighborhood.
In 1883 Mr. Montgomery was united in marriage to Miss Clara Chapman and to
them were born eight children, of whom Pearl has passed away. She was the wife
608 HISTORY OF COLORADO
of Thomas Wallace, by whom she had three children, her death occurring in the
spring of 1912. The other children of Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery are: Frank R., a
resident of Fort Collins, Ck>lorado; Florence, who married Albert Schwilke, of Estes
Park, Colorado; Arthur E., residing at Longmont; Charles E., who has joined the
colors and is with the American Expeditionary Forces in France; Iva and C. Orvis,
at home; and Ruth, who married L. Comstock, of Longmont.
Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery are among the most respected pioneer couples of Boul-
der county and all are agreed as to their high qualities of heart and mind. Their
religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church, in the work of which they
helpfully assist. Politically Mr. Montgomery is a democrat but although he keeps
thoroughly informed in regard to the public questions of the day he has never been
an office seeker, preferring to devote his whole attention to his private interests.
Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to
the Lyons organization, and has many friends among its members, Mrs. Montgomery
belonging to the Rebekah lodge. He is a public-spirited, progressive agriculturist
and citizen and has attained an honorable position in life entirely through his own
efforts, thus being entitled to the proud American title of a self-made man. Move-
ments for public improvement have ever received his support and he is never a lag-
gard when the public weal hangs in the balance.
Thomas Kneale, busily engaged in the work of tilling the soil and caring for his
stock upon an excellent farm in Boulder county, is of Manx nativity, his birth having
occurred on the Isle of Man, May 17, 1852, his parents being John and Ann (Christian)
Kneale, who were also of Manx birth. The father passed away on his native isle,
after which the mother came to the new world, settling in Colorado in 1876. Her re-
maining days were here passed, her death occurring in 1912 at the home of her son
Thomas. In their family were eleven children, four of whom are living.
Thomas Kneale was reared and educated on the Isle of Man and came to America
in 1872. when a young man of twenty years. He first settled in Jefferson county,
Colorado, where he engaged in the lumber business and in freighting. He followed
this business for twelve years and then went to Wyoming, where he engaged in the
live stock business for three years. In 1888 he purchased the farm in Boulder county
whereon he now resides, acquiring title to two hundred and forty acres. Irrigation
has converted the land into a rich and productive tract, for he has the entire place
under the ditch. He has worked carefully, systematically and scientifically in the
cultivation of his crops and has greatly improved the property by the erection of fine
buildings, making this one of the attractive farms of Boulder county. In addition he
owns a stock ranch of thirteen hundred acres above Eldorado Springs on the South
Boulder, on which he is extensively engaged in running stock. In all business affairs
he displays sound judgment and unfaltering enterprise and his determined purpose,
guided by keen sagacity, has brought to him substantial success. He is likewise a
stockholder in the Colorado Alfalfa Milling Company, of which he was manager for
ten years. This company operates mills at Ordway, Broomfield, Eastlake and Niwot,
Colorado, and at Riverton, Wyoming.
Mr. Kneale was married in Jefferson county, Colorado, to Miss Georgiana Hat-
field, who was born in Shelbyville, Illinois, a daughter of George W. and Ann (Rob-
inson) Hatfield, the former a native of Ohio, while the latter was born in New Jersey.
Mr. Hatfield removed to Denver, Colorado, in 1859. when the beautiful capital city was
a tiny mining hamlet, composed of tents and a few log cabins. Like the others who had
come to the state in that early period, he engaged in mining during the first year of his
residence here, but in 1860 he returned to Illinois. He then started across the plains
with an ox team, accompanied by his family, and proceeding by slow stages, according
to that method of travel, three months had elapsed before he could complete the trip.
He then located in Denver, where he engaged in the butchering business, and both he
and his wife passed away in that city. They were the parents of seven children, all
of whom are yet living. Mr. and Mrs. Kneale had a family of ten children, but
lost three in infancy. The others are: Ethel, the wife of Clyde Carson, of Bouldef
county; Edith, the wife of First Lieutenant James I. Davis, who is now in France
with Company B, of the One Hundred and Fifteenth Field Signal Corps; Charles
Albert, who is now in France with the same command; Harriet I., the wife of
Clarence E. Jessee, of Boulder county; Walter, who was drowned in the Six-Mile
HISTORY OF COLORADO 609
reservoir when twenty-four years of age; Thomas A., who is farming the home place;
and Dora, who is now attending college in Fort Collins. The sons are members
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. Kneale belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and is a loyal
follower of the lodge. He is a democrat in politics and his fellow citizens, recogniz-
ing his worth and ability, have frequently called him to public office. He now is
democratic committeeman and has for several years served in this position. More-
over, he has done faithful duty as justice of the peace, for four years served as water
commissioner of his district and for nine years was a member of the school board.
Ever deeply loyal and patriotic, he served as chairman of the Liberty Loan campaign,
being captain of his district, and also was connected with the United War Workers,
while Mrs. Kneale was actively and officially connected with Red Cross work. Both
he and his wife are consistent and loyal members of the Methodist Episcopal church
and are held in the highest esteem, their worth being widely acknowledged by all
with whom they have come in contact. Mr. Kneale. outside of his extensive farming
interests, is a stockholder in the Farmers Life Insurance Company of Denver. The
business opportunities offered in the new world have enabled him to work his way
steadily upward since he started out in life empty-handed. Obstacles and difficulties
in his path have served as an impetus for renewed effort on his part and his determi-
nation and energy have brought him to an enviable position among representatives
of agricultural as well as business interests in Boulder county and Denver.
Henry Allison, a stone mason of Canon City and also the owner of fine ranch
property nearby, was born in Yorkshire. England, in March, 1850. He spent the first
twenty years of his lite in his native country and came to America in 1870, at which
time he took up his abode in Pennsylvania. After two years' residence in the east
he arrived in Denver, Colorado, in the summer of 1872, and later removed to Central
City, while at a subsequent period he went to Georgetown. Identified with mining
interests there, he met with considerable success, advancing far on the highroad to
In 1873 Mr. Allison returned to England and was there married to Miss Ann Lee
in her old home in Yorkshire. They became the parents of six daughters, of whom
five are living, and two sons. Of these, three of the daughters are married, as are the
sons, and there are seven grandchildren. One daughter, Blanche V. Allison, has for
some years occupied an important position in connection with the county court.
Following their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Allison began their domestic life in their
native land, but in 1881 returned with their family to the new world and settled
first in Pennsylvania, while in 1882 Mr. Allison again became a resident of Colorado.
Here he took up the occupation of farming and also followed the trade of a stone
mason. For eight years he lived at Leadville and for twenty-eight years has made
his home in Caiion City, where he still works at his trade and also gives his super-
vision to the conduct of a fine ranch near the town which he owns. Opportunity, of
which he has eagerly availed himself, has opened for him the door of success and
he is now one of the substantial residents of Canon City.
EMMET A. BROMLEY.
Emmet A. Bromley, a Colorado capitalist living at Brighton, although his business
interests keep him much of the time in Denver, has at different periods been closely
associated with ranching and stock-raising interests, with dairying, with the develop-
ment of oil lands and with banking. As the years have passed he has made extensive
and judicious investments in both farm property and city real estate, from which
he derives a gratifying annual income. His life record is the story of earnest endeavor
and brings to mind the statement of Carlyle that those things which are difficulties
in the path of the weak often become stepping-stones to the strong.
Mr. Bromley is a native of Peru, Clinton county. New York. He was born Feb-
ruary 14, 1858, a son of John B. and Roxey Ann (Ayers) Bromley. His ancestors
in both the maternal and paternal lines arrived at Warwick, Rhode Island, in 1647
Vol. IV— 39
610 HISTORY OF COLORADO
and the families have been well represented in the Revolutionary and Civil wars.
The founder of the Bromley family in America came to the new world from Bromley,
England, a town that has since been absorbed by the growth of London.
Emmet A. Bromley attended school in his birthplace and in Plattsburg. He was
left an orphan when but nine years of age, after which he lived with relatives until
he reached the age of fifteen, when he started out in life on his own account. He
went to work on a steamboat on Lake Champlain, being thus employed for two years,
and afterward occupied a position in a clothing store in Burlington, Vermont, for a
similar period. On the 24th of April, 1877, however, he left the Green Mountain state
and crossed the continent to Denver, Colorado, where he was employed for a year.
He then purchased some cattle and rented a farm, after which he engaged in the
dairy business. Prospering in his undertakings, in 1883 he bought two hundred acres
of land near Brighton and has since managed that property, together with six hun-
dred acres of dry land situated east of his ranch. He was also engaged in the sheep
business and at one time he owned eight thousand acres of dry land. He has traded
all of his ranch property, however, for Denver property and his holdings of city real
estate are extensive and valuable, returning to him a gratifying annual income. He
is likewise the president of the Gibraltar Oil Company, to which he devotes much of his
time, and he is a director of the First National Bank of Brighton.
On the 24th of December, 1892. Mr. Bromley was married in Golden to Miss Anna
Dickson, a daughter of Thomas and Margaret Dickson. Mrs. Bromley was born in
Canada, where her ancestors settled at an early day. In her girlhood she crossed
the plains with her parents and the family home was established at Henderson,
Colorado, where her father and mother resided until called to their final rest. To
Mr. and Mrs. Bromley were born six children of whom the following are living:
Maria, who was educated in the St. Gertrude Seminary and is now at home; Emmet,
Jr.. who attended Wolfe Hall; and Clinton Enos and John D., who were educated at
The religious faith of the family is that of the Episcopal church and in his fra-
ternal relations Mr. Bromley is a Mason, loyally adhering to the teachings of the
craft. He is a past master of his lodge and is much interested in the work of the or-
ganization. In politics he is an earnest republican and a recognized leader in the
party ranks. He served as state representative from his district in the eighth and
ninth general assemblies and gave careful and earnest consideration to all the vital
questions that came up for consideration during that period. He was also state
senator during the eleventh and twelfth assemblies, a fact indicative of the faithful
service which he had previously rendered. He left the impress of his individuality
upon the laws enacted during his connection with both the upper and lower houses.
He is the father of the law providing for the loaning of state school funds to farmers
and thus he has contributed in large measure to the material development of the
agricultural interests of Colorado. For twelve years he was clerk of the district
court in Brighton and his official record, like that of his private life, is one over which
there falls no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil. He is a man of broad vision
and public spirit, of high ideals and of successful achievement.
JAMES AUGUSTUS WIRE.
James Augustus Wire, one of Brighton's enterprising business men, where he is
engaged in the sale of farm implements, was born near Winslow, Illinois, on the 30th
of July, 1873, a son of Jasper A. and Emily (Thorpe) Wire. The father was a Civil
The son pursued his education in the district schools near Winslow and after-
ward was graduated from the Aurora Business College at Aurora, Illinois. He then
took up the occupation of farming, which he followed in his native county for four
years. About that time, or in 1898, Mr. Wire was united in marriage to Miss Lula
Denny, who passed away in 1909.
Mr. Wire on his removal to Colorado in 1898 settled at Littleton, where for one
year he engaged in farming. He then took up his abode in Brighton establishing him-
self in the livery business, to which he soon added feed and coal, and for a few years
teaming and contract work. In 1912 he began the implement business, which he is now
conducting. He is otherwise connected with the business interests of the town, being
the owner of the opera house block and considerable other property. Deeply inter-
JAMES A. WIRE
612 HISTORY OF COLORADO
ested in everything tliat pertains to the welfare and progress of the community he
gives active aid and cooperation to all movements for the general good. He has a
beautiful home of the bungalow type on West Park avenue containing eight rooms.
It stands amid attractive surroundings and one of Its most pleasing features is its
On the 23d of February, 1911, Mr. Wire was again married, his second union being
with Miss Lillian Rice of Hays, Kansas. She is a daughter of James R. and Lenora
(Sutton) Rice, who are very progressive farming people of Kansas, in which state
Mrs. Wire was born in Ellis county. She came to Colorado in 1910. She has a
brother, G. W. Rice, who is now in France; and a brother-in-law who is a physician,
Captain Arthur B. Gjellum, who is also on active duty with the national army, while
his two sisters are Red Cross nurses.
Mrs. Wire is a member of the Presbyterian church and takes an active part in
promoting its work and extending its influence. Mr. Wire belongs to the Woodmen of
the World and is also a member of the Mountain States Hardware and Implement
Dealers' Association. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party. Several
times he has been called upon to serve on the town board and has put forth effective
effort for the welfare and upbuilding of his city.
MARVIN W. TURNER.
The importance banking establishments have in regard to the upbuilding and con-
tinued growth of a section is well recognized and in fact it is acknowledged that the
progress of a community or district can well be gauged by its financial institutions.
Enterprises of this kind are therefore of the utmost importance and their progres-
siveness and reliability have much to do with the general weal or woe of a community.
Among the financiers and bankers who have wrought much good in Boulder county
is Marvin W. Turner, a reliable, confidence-inspiring, able and progressive banker
of Lyons, being vice president and cashier of the State Bank of Lyons. A native of
Michigan, he was born in Berlin, Ottawa county, April 24, 1877, a son of George D.
and Lillian C. (Marvin) Turner, the former a native of the Empire state and the
letter of Michigan. Mr. Turner, Sr., is now an honored resident of Grand Haven.
Michigan, and for twelve years he ably and efficiently served as county clerk in his part
of the state. He subsequently engaged in the abstract business and has since been at
the head of such an establishment. For fifteen years he was also in the employ of the
United States government, acting as deputy collector of customs. Mrs. Turner is
Marvin W. Turner was reared amid the surroundings of a refined home and under
the careful guidance of his parents received his first lessons in life. They were desir-
ous that he should have an excellent education and he therefore attended the public
schools in Grand Haven, Michigan, until his preparation permitted him to enter the
Michigan State University, from which he was graduated in 1898. Well fitted for life's
active duties, he made his first step in the world of commerce as an employe in the
Grand Trunk Railroad oflSces in Grand Haven, with which he was connected for a
year. Showing a decided inclination toward the banking business, he decided that
this was his real life work and therefore joined the staff of the National Bank of
Grand Haven and so ably did he perform his duties in that connection that he was
advanced from time to time until he became assistant cashier, in which important posi-
tion he continued until 1906. The great opportunities offered to a young banker in
virgin territory appealed to him and he therefore decided to come to Colorado. After
carefully surveying the ground and weighing the opportunities presented in different
sections of the state he decided upon Lyons as a likable point which promised to
come up to the hopes which he entertained in regard to establishing a bank. That
he made no mistake is evident from the subsequent success of the institution with
which he is now connected. In August, 1908, he assisted in organizing the Lyons
State Bank and ever since he has served as the cashier of the institution, which
under his able guidance has remarkably prospered. For the past two years he has
also been vice president. A man thoroughly versed in financial affairs, with long and
valuable experience, he has used his talents wisely and well. Ever careful in regard
to the usage of the bank's money as regards investments, he yet obtains the best returns
for the stockholders, at the same time never endangering in the least degree the secur-
ity of depositors. In fact, he is a safe, sane and conservative banker who is progres-
sive enough to extend credit to worthy clients and to worthy enterprises. Thus he
HISTORY OF COLORADO 613