Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 8 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 8 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

upbuilding of his section of the state. He was born in Lebanon, Indiana, March 5,
1841. a son of Henry and Polly (Parks) Hamilton, who were southern people and
in 1S48 removed from Indiana to Iowa.

Harvey S. Hamilton took up the profession of teaching when a young man but
afterward turned his attention to carpentering, which he followed for three years.
At a subsequent period he engaged in the lumber business in California, rafting lum-
ber on the bay. He remained in the Golden state for three years, after which he
returned to Iowa, where he again spent a few months. He then came to Colorado,
settling at Cheyenne Wells in 18S7. Here he purchased an interest in a mercantile
store in connection with Mr. Hickman. Cheyenne county was organized in January,
1889, and with its development and progress Mr. Hamilton was associated to the time
of his death. He continued to engage in merchandising with fair success until 1893.
In 1896 he entered the field of banking, being instrumental in organizing the Cheyenne
County State Bank, of which he was a half owner. He remained president of the
bank from the beginning until his death, which occurred on the 1st of January, 1912.
He proved a friend in need to many. On many occasions people who could not get
anyone to endorse their personal notes, when hard pushed for money, would take their
case to Mr. Hamilton, who after carefully considering the question would endorse the
notes, so the cashier of the bank would then loan them money. He was very liberal and
just in everything, had confidence in the integrity of his fellowmen and rarely was this
confidence betrayed. He indeed proved a friend in need and a friend indeed and there
are many who have reason to revere his memory for his timely assistance to them. In
1908 he, with the Hickman brothers, purchased the controlling interest in the bank of
Windsor, Colorado, while in 1906 he had become identified with the sheep industry.
During the last six years of his life he was in ill health but he remained active in
business to the last and successfully and wisely controlled his interests. The capital
of the Cheyenne County State Bank of Cheyenne Wells was increased from fifteen
thousand to forty thousand dollars, showing the success of the institution. Mrs.
Hamilton still remains a member of its board of directors. As the years passed Mr.
Hamilton prospered, winning a substantial measure of success which the most envious
could not grudge him, so worthily was it gained and so honorably used. He was
also interested in the Keyless Lock Company, now the American Keyless Lock Com-
pany, and he owned land in Florida and had large real estate holdings in Colorado,
making judicious investment of his money in farm property in the state.

On the 30th of May, 1889. Mr. Hamilton was united in marriage to Miss Margaret
Woodrow, a daughter of Jeremiah and Parmelia (Byers) Woodrow, both of whom n-ere
natives of Ohio and were among the pioneers there, Mr. Woodrow following farming
and prospering in his undertakings. He passed away October 2, 1918. The maternal
grandfather, Ed Byers, was born in Kentucky and was a great hunter and trapper
of southern Ohio. His wife lived to be one hundred and five years of age, passing
away in the year 1884. She lived through the period when all manner of work was
done by the women of the household and she spun many a hank of flax thread. The
father of Mrs. Hamilton was a cousin of President Wilson. Mrs. Hamilton was the
second child in her father's family. She was educated in the public schools and
later took up dressmaking. She came to Cheyenne county, Colorado, in 1888 and
here met Mr. Hamilton. They were married in 1889, their marriage being the first
on the records of Cheyenne county. For thirty years she has lived in her present
home. At the time of her arrival there were in Cheyenne Wells but two stores, a
depot, a land office and a schoolhouse. Her garden produced the first rose that ever



60 HISTORY OF COLORADO

bloomed in Cheyenne county. To Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton was born a son, Harry
Woodrow Hamilton, whose birth occurred January 19, 1899". He acquired a public
school education and after his father's death he and his mother went to Ohio in order
to forget their deep sorrow. They lived in that state for three years and then re-
turned to Cheyenne Wells, where the son completed his education in the high school.
He did some splendid work in manual training, especially- along the line of cabinet
work, evidence of which is seen in his home. On the 11th of December, 1917. he
went to Denver to enlist in the first division of Company B of the Marine Corps and
was sent to Mare Island. After a few months he was promoted to first private and
several responsible duties were assigned him, including guard duty at the navy yard.
He was afterward one of seven selected to go to Virginia to prepare for overseas
service and left for France in October, 1918.

Mrs. Hamilton is very prominent in Red Cross work and is chairman of the
chapter of Cheyenne county. Since her husband's death she has purchased the ele-
vator at Cheyenne Wells and she is also interested in the cheese factory, which is a
profitable concern. It was her son who conceived the idea of investing therein about
two years ago and the mother carried out the plan. No woman has for a longer period
been a resident of Cheyenne Wells than Mrs. Hamilton, who is thoroughly familiar
with every phase of its history and development. She is most highly esteemed by rea-
son of her personal worth and the memory of her husband is enshrined in the hearts
of all who knew him because of his sterling traits of character, his business ability,
his spirit of accommodation and friendliness. His record is indeed one well worthy
of emulation and there are many who might profitably follow his example.



MRS. IDA L. GREGORY.



Strong in its purpose, beautiful in its simplicity and most fruitful in its results, the
life of Ida L. Gregory has added new luster to the record of womanhood in Colorado. Im-
bued in early life with the noble purpose of assisting the young, she has devoted many
years to educating those who by an untoward fate have been surrounded by hardships,
temptations or uninviting environment, and to the work of the juvenile court she has also
given her thought, time and energy, being for many years the active associate of Judge
Ben B. Lindsey. Hundreds of boys and girls have been befriended by her and the influence
of her life work extends to thousands of homes.

Mrs. Gregory was born in Bolivar, Missouri, April 18, 1860, a daughter of Silas and
Laurinda (Cleveland) Sturdavent. The former was a son of Abel Sturdavent, of Holland
Dutch descent, who was born in the land of the dikes and on coming to the new world
settled in Lawrenceburg. Kentucky. The maternal grandfather. James H. Cleveland, was
born in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, and was a cousin of Grover Cleveland. He became one
of the first followers of Alexander Campbell, founder of the Campbellite or Christian
church, and was a minister of the gospel until his death in 1869.

Mrs. Gregory pursued her early education in the grammar and high schools of
Brooklyn, Indiana, being there graduated with the class of 1877. She afterward spent
four years as a student in St. John's Academy and won the Bachelor of Arts degree upon
graduation with the class of 1881. Later she taught five years in the Gregory free night
school at Denver, continuing the work from 1898 until 1903. She became president of the
Colorado Art Club and one day while the art students were giving an exhibit a poor boy
gazed longingly in at the window and then started down the street. Mrs. Gregory watched
him from the inside, and seeing him hasten on, she called after him. inviting him to
enter. "I ain't got the price," he said and again turned away. But Mrs. Gregory assured
him that she had and while conducting him through the art exhibit they talked to each
other of their plans. It seems that the boy had desired an education but had had no op-
portunity to meet his desire. Mrs. Gregory had dreamed of founding a night school and
hoped that money and opportunity might be forthcoming toward that end, but after her
conversation with the boy she decided that now was the opportune moment for opening the
school and asked the lad to bring his brother and any other boys of the neighborhood who
desired education. That night the school was opened with an attendance of five, with
Mrs. Gregory as the sole instructor. The school was maintained for about five years,
during which time the attendance steadily grew and Mrs. Gregory gathered about her, as
the occasion demanded, other teachers, some of whom gave their services gratuitously
until the school numbered about four hundred and fifty pupils under the charge of ten
teachers. Its worth has long since become recognized by city authorities, by philanthro-




MRS. IDA L. GREGORY



62 HISTORY OF COLORADO

pists and others and In the end it was taken over by the board of education of Denver.
This constituted, however, the initial step in night schools in Denver.

Mrs. Gregory had charge of the University School of Music from 1900 to 1910 and dur-
ing this period became the active assistant of Judge Lindsey. She had been appointed
probation officer in 1903 and this gave her excellent opportunity to study the youth of the
city, to learn of his environment, his temptations and his needs. In 1906 she was ap-
pointed chief probation officer and assistant judge and in 1907 she was appointed clerk of
the Denver Juvenile court, in which capacity she is still serving. In this connection she
became the active assistant of Judge Lindsey, sitting with him upon the bench in all
cases relative to delinquent boys, girls and women. These cases are tried in the utmost
privacy with only the parents present. Mrs. Gregory has the distinction of being the first
woman in the United States to receive an appointment of associate judgeship and often in
the absence of Judge Lindsey she presides over such cases, taking full charge of the court
and carrying on the work fully as well as the judge. Her keen insight into child nature
has made her invaluable and Judge Lindsey accepts with implicit confidence her decisions
in the cases she handles. She has sat with him in thousands of cases relating to chil-
dren and has acquired a fund of information in regard to juvenile court work in all of
its ramifications which makes her one of the authorities in this much studied field.

It was on the 26th of October, 1881, in Indianapolis, that Ida L. Sturdavent was mar-
ried to Thomas Gregory and she has a daughter, Maud Sturdavent Gregory, who is now
in the employ of the government in Washington. D. C. Mrs. Gregory was the first presi-
dent of the Colorado Arts Club, belongs also to the Wednesday Current Events Club and
to the Poets & Artists Club of Colorado. Her religious faith is that of the Divine Science
church. Her religious belief actuates her at every point in all of her busy life. Mrs. ,
Gregory conceived the idea and was the main factor in organizing the Colorado Junior
Reserves, the pioneer organization of its kind in the United States. The Denver Times,
on May 17, 1918, editorially said in part: "The proposed organization will be known as
the Colorado Junior Reserves. Plans to give every boy between the ages of sixteen and
eighteen a course of training under efficient drill-masters to be appointed by Adjutant-
General Baldwin, that cannot fail to be healthful for them. And to build their character,
to give them initiative and self-confidence, to inspire them with patriotism, to mold them
at the formative stage of life into strong virile men. assets to their community. These
things they will be blessed with even though the call of war never comes to them. * * * *
Credit for the idea should go to Mrs. Gregory, a pioneer in work among Denver boys. It
is constructive effort of the kind that Colorado's sister states will watch and emulate.
And it is one more step the state will have taken toward bringing this war to the quickest
possible conclusion."

Who can measure her usefulness or indicate the true force of her example? Sympa-
thetic, kindly, gentle and yet firm when occasion requires, she has dealt with thousands
of children, winning their confidence and starting many a one on the road to higher and
better things. She is a believer in the goodness of every individual and has closely fol-
lowed the admonition of Browning: "Awake the little seeds of good asleep throughout
the world."



MARTIN HER STROM.



The record of Martin Herstrom is the history of one who through successive steps
has advanced from newsboy to the ownership of one of the largest forge plants west
of the Mississippi. He is entitled to considerable credit and distinction for what he
has accomplished. With borrowed capital he has more than made good and is one of
the best known foundrymen and forge owners in the west. He was born in Chicago,
January 10, 1870, a son of Martin and Anna ( (Kopen) Herstrom, who were natives of
Herstrom Hall, Norway. They came to America in early life, settling in Chicago, and
in 1880 removed to Denver, where the death of the father occurred in 1885, while the
mother survived until 1913. They had a family of six children: Martin, of this review;
Mrs. C. T. Wright, of Huntington, Indiana; Haakon, of Denver; Mrs. Harry Dickson, of
Fort Scott. Kansas; Thomas, who was killed in a wreck on the Union Pacific Railroad in
1906, being a fireman on that road; and Louis, of Seattle, Washington, who is connected
with the Seattle Union Record.

Brought to Denver when a lad of ten years, Martin Herstrom pursued his early
education in the Broadway school and subsequently attended college. He later worked
on the Republican and the Tribune and then began learning the blacksmith's trade. Ad-
vancing in that connection, he became foreman in the shops of the Burlington Railroad




MARTIN HERSTROM



64 HISTORY OF COLORADO

Company and occupied that responsible position for a number of years, it bringing to him
broad and valuable experience. Anxious to engage in business on his own account, he
organized the American Forge Works. By 1904 he had progressed as far as it was
possible on a salary basis and he therefore decided to begin business on his own account,
so with a borrowed capital of seventy-flve dollars he made the initial step in the establish-
ment of what has since developed into one of the largest forge plants in the west and one
of the best equipped in the country. He employs a force of thirty-five men, working
night and day on government work at the present time. He has always been accorded
a liberal patronage and his business has long since reached profitable proportions. He
has one of the most modern forge plants west of New York. The output is in demand in
all parts of the world, particularly in connection with heavy mining machinery, manu-
facturing forged steel shoes, dies and balls for ball mills. His work has ever been
characterized by the utmost thoroughness and his energy and determination have
enabled him to overcome all obstacles and difficulties in his path and make his way
steadily upward to success, his patronage growing year by year.

On the 28th of December, 1892, in Denver, Mr. Herstrom was married to Miss Metta
Rose, of Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Monteville Rose, representing a well known
family of Denver and Missouri in which state Mrs. Herstrom was born at Sturgeon. They
have become parents of four children. Merle Rose, born in Denver, is a high school
graduate. Martin, Jr., born in Denver, May 13, 1900, was also graduated from the high
school and is chief bugler on the United States Battleship Delaware and was on active
duty in France with the marines and on the North sea. He sounded the bugle at the
visit of King George and Queen Mary to the Grand Fleet, assembled for the auspicious
occasion in the North sea. Emily Phyllis, born in Denver, is a noted toe dancer and
as representative of her art has traveled throughout the country. She is now attending
Mrs. Speer's exclusive school for girls, learning French and Spanish. Dorothy Fain,
born in Denver is still a pupil in the public schools.

In politics Mr. Herstrom maintains an independent course. Fraternally he is a
Mason of high rank and a member of the Mystic Shrine and he also beloogs to the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. At the early age of fourteen he was the champion
roller skater at Belmont and Hanson's rink at Denver, and won the seventy-five mile
race open to all, covering over seventy-five miles in six hours which at that time was a
world's record. Mr. Herstrom is also prominent socially, having organized the Silver
Leaf Social Club and the Shakespeare Literary and Debating Society. His religious
faith is that of the Christian Science church. Guided by a sane philosophy of life, actuated'
by a laudable ambition and characterized by a determined purpose, Martin Herstrom,
who begaft earning his living by selling papers, is today a prominent representative of
industrial activity in Colorado's capital.



ADAM -WOEBER.



Adam Woeber, builder of wagons, carriages, street cars and automobiles, in which
connection he has developed a business of extensive proportions, is still active along
this line although he has now passed the eighty-first milestone on life's journey. He was
born in Bavaria, Germany, in April, 1S37, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Alois Woeber, who
were likewise natives of Bavaria, whence they came to America in 1840, when their
son Adam was but three years of age. They settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, where the
father took up work at the blacksmith's trade, which he had previously learned and
followed in his native land. He remained in Cincinnati until 1853, when he removed
to Davenport, Iowa, where he resided to the time of his death, which occurred in the
early '60s. His wife passed away in Davenport in 1872. In their family were five
children.

Adam Woeber, the youngest of the household, was a pupil in the public schools of
Cincinnati, Ohio, after which he learned the moulder's trade and in 1853 he accom-
panied his parents on their removal to Davenport, Iowa, where he learned the trade
of wagon and carriage making. This he followed from 1853 until 1867 in Iowa, when
he left the Mississippi valley and made his way across the plains to Denver, Colorado.
When he had found a suitable location he established a wagon and carriage making
plant, having brought his stock and men with him from Iowa. He succeeded so well
in the new undertaking that he has remained in the business to this day. In 1882 he
built all of the street cars for Denver, Salt Lake City, Grand Junction, Pueblo, Colo-
rado Springs and Fort Collins, Colorado. The Woeber Company has built practically
all of the cars since that time for the Denver Traction Company and of recent years



HISTORY OF COLORADO 65

Mr. Woeber has devoted much attention to automobile manufacturing. Himself an
expert workman, he has been enabled to wisely direct the labors of those in his em-
ploy and has developed his plant along the most progressive lines, equipping it with
the latest improved machinery.

In 1854, at Davenport, Iowa, Mr. Woeber was married to Miss Gertrude Hommes,
who passed away in Denver in 1900. In the family were four children of whom three
are living, Rudolph L., Josephine and Clara.

Mr. Woeber remains still a very active and well balanced business man, retaining
the vigor of one of middle age. In politics he is independent and from 1870 until
1872 was an alderman of Denver. He has ever been keenly Interested in the welfare
and upbuilding of the city in which he has so long made his home, having removed
to Denver during the pioneer epoch in its development, and through all of the inter-
vening years he has cooperated heartily in every project for the general good. He is
a devout communicant of St. Elizabeth's Catholic church.



CONVERSE C. BARNET.



Converse C. Barnet is today district manager of the Toledo Scale Company,
manufacturers of counter and heavy capacity scales. Ohio numbers Mr. Barnet
among her native sons, his birth having occurred in Camden, that state, on the 26th
of November, 1867. His father, William Barnet, also born in Ohio, belonged to one
of the old families of that state and of Pennsylvania that came of French ancestry.
The founder of the American branch of the family settled in the new world prior
to the Revolutionary war and the family was represented in the colonial army in
the struggle for independence. William Barnet, the father, was for many years
senior partner in the firm of Barnet & Whiteside, who were engaged in the manu-
facture of flour, and in sheep and cattle raising at Camden, Ohio. He became very
prominent in that section. At the time of the Civil war he put aside all business and
personal considerations in order to respond to the country's call for troops, enlisting
in an Ohio company. He was engaged in active duty along the Maryland and Ohio
borders. When the country no longer needed his aid he resumed his business activities
and made for himself an enviable position in agricultural and manufacturing circles.
He was born in 1833 and had therefore reached the age of seventy-eight years when he
passed away in Cincinnati, Ohio, December 31, 1911. He had married Celia Amanda
Duggins. whose name was originally spelled Duggan. She was born in Ohio, August
16, 1837, and is descended from Irish ancestry, the family being established in New
England at a very early day, while later representatives of the name became pioneer
settlers of Ohio and Indiana. Mrs. Barnet survives her husband and is living in
Cincinnati, Ohio. By her marriage she became the mother of five children but
only two are now living. Converse C. and Bertha.

The former pursued his education in the public and high schools of Eaton, Ohio,
being graduated with the class of 1885. The following year he was a student in the
Richmond Business College of Richmond, Indiana, from which he was graduated,
and he later attended the Longley Business College of Cincinnati, Ohio, in which he
completed a course by graduation in 18S8. On the 1st of January, 1887, he had become
identified with the Eaton Manufacturing Company of Eaton, Ohio, having charge of
the clerical force. He continued there for eighteen months, after which he completed
his preparation for a business career as a student in the Longley Business College of
Cincinnati. After leaving that school he entered the office of the Frisco Railroad
Company at Cincinnati in the commercial agent's department, there remaining for
several months. He was afterward with the Pullman Palace Car Company as assistant
to the manager in the Cincinnati office and continued in the Pullman service for a
year and a half. He next removed to Sidney, Ohio, and was associated with the Sidney
School Furniture Company, having charge of the sales force from the spring of 1890
until the spring of 1893. This was his first commercial experience along salesman-
ship and constituted his initial step to his present success. He afterward served as
a salesman with the company from 1893 until 1897 and later was in the furniture
business with the Miner & Moore Furniture Company of Cincinnati, as salesman,
from 1897 until 1899. He then returned to Sidney and was a salesman with the Sidney
School Furniture Company until March. 1899, when he entered the employ of the
National Cash Register Company, being given charge of the prospective business
department, a very important department of the service. He remained in that con-
nection, largely developing the trade of the house, until the spring of 1906, when he



66 HISTORY OF COLORADO

entered into active connection with S. F. Bowser & Company, Incorporated, at Toronto,
Canada, having charge ot the Canadian traveling force. He there remained for a year
in that connection. He served the company consecutively as sales manager, field
superintendent and district manager, having been made district manager for Colorado
on the 1st of January, 1913. He made a most creditable record during his six years'
connection with this position and as district manager he built up for the company
a business of extensive proportions in the sale of gasoline oil tanks, pumps and storage
systems. He had his headquarters in the Gas and Electric building in Denver. He
now is district manager of the Toledo Scale Company.

On the 23d of August, 1893, Mr. Barnet was married in Troy, Ohio, to Miss Jean
MacKinzie, a native of that place, daughter of James and Lydia (Robbins) MacKinzie.



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 8 of 108)