ditch and now well improved. He carries on general farming and also makes a
specialty of feeding stock. He is likewise a stockholder in the Farmers' Union Co-
operative Elevator & Supply Company at Longmont, Colorado, and his business affairs
are wisely and carefully managed, bringing to him the measure of success which is
In 1891 Mr. Johansen was married to Miss Delvina Servais, who was born at
Clifton, Illinois, a daughter of August and Louise Servais, who came to the new
world as children. Mr. and Mrs. Johansen have had a family of five children, but
the first born died in infancy. The others are: Louise, the wife of August E. Nelson,
of Boulder county and Bertha, Evelyn and Ruth Anna, at home.
The parents are members of the Lutheran church and Mr. Johansen gives his
political allegiance to the republican party, which he has supported since age conferred
upon him the right of franchise. For nine years he served on the school board and he
is interested in all that has to do with the material, intellectual, social and moral
progress of the community. His has been an active life and his success is the merited
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
reward of earnest, persistent labor. In addition to his Colorado property he is the
owner of a farm of forty acres in Iroquois county, Illinois, and his wife owns a third
HISTORY OF COLORADO 645
interest in ninety-two acres in tlie same county. Tliey are highly esteemed people
of the community in which they reside, enjoying the warm friendship and kindly
regard of many with whom they have heen brought in contact.
S. GUY MORROW.
S. Guy Morrow, who is extensively engaged in farming and stock raising in
Elbert county, was born in Licking county, Ohio, March 24, 1857. his parents being
Noah and Mary (Guy) Morrow, both of whom were born in Washington county,
Pennsylvania, whence they removed to Ohio, where their remaining days were passed,
their residence in that state covering an extended period. They had a family of six
children, four of whom are living.
S. Guy Morrow was reared in the Buckeye state to the age of fourteen years, when
he left home and started out to provide for his own support. Going to Pennsylvania,
he was for eighteen months in that state, after which he returned to Ohio and again
spent two years within its borders. In 1876 he arrived in Colorado, first settling in
Weld county, where he lived for two years. He afterward took a band of sheep from
Wyoming to the Pan Handle of Texas and remained in the south for some time. Later
he went to Leavenworth, Kansas, where he resided for a year and a half, and in 1880
he came to Arapahoe county, Colorado, and purchased the ranch whereon he now
resides. He has since greatly improved the property, adding to it fine buildings
and all of the accessories and conveniences of a model farm of the twentieth century.
He owns altogether four thousand acres of valuable land, upon which he has about
twelve hundred head of sheep and also some cattle and horses. His business interests
are extensive and wisely directed. He closely studies the problems connected with
sheep and stock raising in this section of the state and has provided every facility
for the conduct of the business. He is also the president of the Deertrail State Bank,
which was organized in 1910 by Mr. Morrow and other representative business men of
the community, and his keen business discernment and progressive policy have been
strong elements in its success.
On the 18th of January. 1885, Mr. Morrow was married to Miss Dicie Thompson,
who was born in Page county. Iowa, a daughter of James A. Thompson, who in 1875
removed with his family to Colorado, where both he and his wife passed away. Mr.
and Mrs. Morrow became the parents of five children: Olive A., now the wife of Hick
Hill; Edith May, the wife of C. L. Martin, of Limon, Colorado; Enos Guy, who is a
sergeant in the United States army, on active duty in France; Laura Mary, at home;
and Ruth, who died at the age of a year and a half.
In his political views Mr. Morrow is an earnest republican but not an office seeker.
He has served for twenty-five years on the school board and is much interested in the
cause of public education in his community. A self-made man. as he started out
to earn his own living when a youth of but fourteen years and had no financial assist-
ance, he has achieved a handsome fortune and is one of the prominent and repre-
sentative business men of his part of the state.
JEROME F. GOULD.
Jerome F. Gould is a retired farmer of Boulder county and no other resident of
this section of the state has resided for so long a period in the district. Moreover,
he has traveled far on life's journey, having passed the eighty-fourth milestone.- He
was born in the state of New York, April 21, 1S34, a son of Jotham and Miranda
((Patterson) Gould, who were also natives of the Empire state, whence they removed
to Pennsylvania, where they lived for a number of years. In 1854 they became resi-
dents of Iowa, where they settled upon a farm, and there resided until 1863. In that
year they crossed the plains with ox teams and established their home in Boulder
county, Colorado, which was then a wild frontier district in which the work of progress
had scarcely been begun. They purchased a farm on Boulder creek and their remaining
days were passed thereon. They contributed to the early agricultural development of
the region and were well known and liighly r.espected among the pioneer settlers.
Their family numbered ten children, of whom three are yet living.
J. F. Gould of this review, one of the three survivors, was reared and educated in
Pennsylvania, the public schools affording him his educational opportunities. He was
646 HISTORY OF COLORADO
a young man of twenty years when he became a resident of Iowa and in 1861 he
arrived in Colorado, malting his way to Boulder county, where he preempted one hun-
dred and twenty acres of land. He has spent many years of his life upon that farm.
After a time he purchased other land, which he has since sold to his children. His
life has been devoted to general agricultural pursuits and stock raising and the care-
ful management of his business affairs, combined with his industry, has been a
salient feature in the attainment of well deserved success. He is now living retired,
enjoying a rest which he has truly earned and richly deserves. He started out in life
empty-handed but by persistent effort and energy has won a creditable measure of
In 1861 Mr. Gould was united in marriage to Miss Amy Foster, a native of Ohio,
their marriage being celebrated, however, in Iowa. They became the parents of eight
children: Olive, now deceased; Delia, the wife of A. M. Dodd; May, the wife of William
EUinger, living in Texas; Ernest, who has passed away; Flora, the wife of Charles
Sherman; Margaret, the widow of Albert Remley; James, who is upon the home farm;
and Lola, the wife of John A. Hill. Mr. Gould now has thirty-one grandchildren and
Mr. Gould is a self-made man whose enterprise and untiring labors have gained
for him the measure of prosperity which he now enjoys. In 1883 he was called upon
to mourn the loss of his wife, who passed away in that year and was laid to rest
in the Niwot cemetery. For about fifty-eight years Mr. Gould has resided in Boulder
county and there is no one now living in his neighborhood, who was here at the time
of his arrival. He has lived to witness remarkable changes as the years have passed
and the wild lands has been reclaimed for the purposes of civilization. He has seen
barren tracts converted into productive farms, while towns and villages have sprung
up and the work of progress and improvement has been carried forward along all lines.
He has ever stood for those things which are most worth while to the community
and he has rejoiced to see what has been accomplished.
Among those who for many years successfully followed farming in Boulder county
was Clemens Knaus, who was born in Germany, November 21, 1843. He was reared
and educated in that country and when a youth of eighteen came to America. Cross-
ing the Atlantic, he remained a resident of New York for several years or until 1866,
when he came to Colorado and for several years thereafter was engaged in the butch-
ering business at Black Hawk.
In this state Mr. Knaus was married to Mrs. Eliza (Greub) Bader, a native of
Switzerland and a daughter of Rudolph and Elizabeth Greub, who were also natives
of the land of the Alps, where they resided until 1852 and then made the voyage to
the new world. They first took up their abode in Illinois, where they lived for a
short time and then removed to Missouri, where they continued to make their home
until 1864. In that year they came to Colorado, settling in Boulder county. They
drove across the country with ox teams and three months were required in making
the trip, during which they experienced various hardships and privations, but with
resolute spirit they met these in order to establish a home upon the frontier. The
father took up a homestead claim and one hundred and forty acres of the land which
he thus secured was owned by Clemens Knaus. Upon his place he built a log cabin
and occupied that pioneer dwelling for several years. Both he and his wife passed
away in Colorado.
Following the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Knaus in 1874, he began farming upon
the land now owned by his widow. Mrs. Knaus had been previously married, her first
husband being Nicholas E. Bader. Mr. Bader came to Colorado in 1859 and took up
land, devoting his energies mostly to stock raising, although he took some interest
in mining. He was married to Eliza Greub, December 25, 1867, aud to this union
were born three sons: William E., Frank A. and George N., all of whom are living.
On December 5, 1873, Mr. Bader passed away upon the same place where Mrs. Knaus
now resides. By the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Knaus there were ten children: John
A.; Matilda, the wife of Roy Hawley, of Rifle, Colorado; MoUie, who on January 15,
1901, married Ansel Duffield, by whom she has five children, the family residing in
Roggen, Weld county; Albert; Clemens; Fred; Emma, the wife of Mat Oliphant, of
Fountain, Colorado; Daniel; Jessie, the wife of James Whaley; and Carl. The chil-
dren are all yet living, but the family circle was broken by the hand of death when
648 HISTORY OF COLORADO
on the 8th of January, 1914, the husband and father was called to the home beyond,
his remains being interred in the Burlington cemetery. Mrs. Knaus still owns and
occupies the old homestead, comprising one hundred and forty acres of rich land a
half mile north of Niwot, in Boulder county. This is splendidly improved, all under
the ditch, and the fields are now very productive, bringing forth substantial crops
Thomas Richart, deceased, was numbered among the prosperous agriculturists
of Boulder county and his residence in that district dated from pioneer times, for
he took up his abode in Boulder county in 1S69. He was born in Ohio, December 1,
1848, a son of William and Nancy Richart, who were natives of Ohio. On leaving
that state they removed to Iowa in 1S56 and there both passed away. Their family
numbered five children, three of whom are now living.
Thomas Richart was reared and educated in Benton county. Iowa, and when
a youth of about twenty years came to Boulder county, Colorado, the year 1869 wit-
nessing his arrival. Great indeed have been the changes which have occurred since
that time. As there were no railroads in the district, he followed freighting for
a number of years, making trips across the plains when such a journey involved
many hardships and ofttimes dangers. He afterward turned his attention to farm-
ing near Niwot, purchasing land in 1876. Throughout his remaining days his atten-
tion was given to its further development and improvement and he made it a val-
uable farm property.
In Colorado, in 1876, Mr. Richart was married to Mrs. Mary (Shepard) Gates,
who was born in Appanoose county, Iowa, in 1857. a daughter of David L. and Mary
S. (Osborn) Shepard. Her father was born in Ohio, while her mother was a native
of Pike county, Illinois. They were married in Iowa and came to Colorado in June,
1861, both spending their remaining days in this state. They had a family of six
children, of whom three are now living. To Mr. and Mrs. Richart were born six chil-
dren: Thomas M., William L. and John, all now deceased; Mary A., the wife of
Jesse Anson; David !^rl Roy. who is now in France with the United States army,
being a musician in Headquarters Company No. 341; and Henry George, who is with
his mother upon the farm. By her former marriage Mrs. Richart liad a daughter,
Martha S., who is now the wife of Orange P. Wirick, of Los Angeles, California.
The death of Mr. Richart occurred January 24, 1918, and he was laid to rest
in Niwot cemetery, leaving a widow and three children to mourn his loss. Mrs.
Richart still owns the home farm comprising eighty acres, all of which is improved
and is well irrigated. She is a member of the Grange and also of the Seventh Day
Adventist church. Mr. Richart was held in high esteem as a pioneer resident, as
a progressive citizen, representative farmer and honorable man. With her husband,
Mrs. Richart shared in the high regard of all who knew them and she has an ex-
tensive circle of warm friends in her part of the state.
JOHN W. CLINE.
John W. Cllne, deceased, was born in Canada on the 23d of September, 1825, and
passed away in the year 1S93. For some time prior to his demise he had been a
resident of Colorado, connected with the agricultural interests of Adams county.
He was reared and educated in his native country and in 1859 he came to Colorado,
settling in Adams county, where he took up a homestead and remained to the time
of his demise. Throughout his life he carried on farm work and his energy and
persistency of purpose were strong elements in the development of his land, which
he converted into a rich and productive farm, while the sale of his crops brought
to him a substantial annual income.
Mr. Cline was married to Mrs. Elizabeth Smith, a native of Clinton county. New
York, and a daughter of Edward and Elizabeth McGovern, both of whom were natives
of Ireland. They came to America when young people and after living tor some
time in the Empire state removed to Wisconsin, where their remaining days were
passed. Their family numbered fourteen children, three of whom survive. Mr. and
Mrs. Cline became the parents of five children, but John E. and Bessie J., the first
two, have passed away. C. Henry is living on the old homestead farm, Lucy M. IS
HISTORY OF COLORADO 649
also at home and Alice E. is the wife of A. P. Ertz. The family circle was again
broken by the hand of death when in 1893 Mr. Cline was called to his final rest, his
remains being interred in the Riverside cemetery at Denver. He had led an active
and useful life which was quietly passed, but the sterling worth of his character
was recognized by his associates and gained for him the respect and goodwill of
all. His widow still occupies the old homestead, of which she has sold a part, but
she still owns sixty-seven acres from which she derives a good income. Excellent im-
provements and fine buildings have been placed upon the farm and it is one of the
attractive properties of Adams county.
Mrs. Cline is one of the few remaining pioneer women of Colorado. She was
born in New York, May 3, 1845, and was but three years of age when her parents
removed to Iowa county, Wisconsin, where they were pioneers. Her father par-
ticipated in the early Indian fighting, and was also one of the first to engage in
lead mining in that region.
On February 9, 1865, Elizabeth McGovern, now Mrs. Cline, married Patrick Smith,
a native of Ireland, who had come to America when a boy of sixteen years. The
young couple went to New York, and thence, by boat, to Panama. They sailed on
the ship. Ocean Queen, which afterwards became a training ship for the United
States navy. The trip being made during war times, the vessel was convoyed by
gunboats and guarded by a detachment of marines, since much mail and important
government papers were aboard the boat. Having crossed the isthmus they em-
barked on the famous old ship. Constitution, and after a voyage of four weeks and
tour days landed at San Francisco, whence they proceeded, by boat up the river
to Sacramento. There purchasing a team and supplies, they went to Virginia City,
and still later, on into Montana. During the trip, the driver mutinied and Mrs.
Smith taking the reins herself drove the four mule team through the mountain
passes of the Sierras. In Montana a party was organized to make the journey to*
Colorado, Mrs. Smith being one of three women in the party. They arrived in Denver
on the 2d of October, 1865. and within a few weeks located on a tract of one hundred
and sixty acres, in what is now Adams county, where the home is still maintained.
Mr. Smith died in 1870. To Mr. and Mrs. Smith were bom two children: James,
who resides upon a part of the original homestead; and Mary Isabel, now Mrs. George
F. Decatur, and they also occupy a part of the old homestead.
J. A. WILLIAMSON.
J. A. Williamson, the postmaster and one of the merchants of Barr Lake, was born
in Portage county, Ohio. December 6, 1845, his parents being Allen and Margaret
(Wilson) Williamson. The father was born in Pennsylvania, while the mother was a
native of Ohio, in which state they were married. There they resided for some time
and the mother passed away in that state, after which the father came to Colorado
in 1870 and spent his last days in the west. Their family numbered three children,
two of whom survive.
J. A. Williamson spent his boyhood days under the parental roof and in the acquire-
ment of his education attended the public schools. With the outbreak of the Civil
war. however, his patriotic spirit was aroused, and although he was yet a youth in
his teens, he responded to the country's call for aid, joining the Union army as one of
the boys in blue of Company M, Ninth Ohio Cavalry. He served with that command
for two years and although he was frequently on active duty in the thickest of the
fight, he was never wounded. He was with Sherman on the celebrated march to the
sea and took part in all of the engagements of that campaign. He never faltered in the
performance of duty, and his bravery and valor were recognized by all of his comrades.
When the war was over Mr. Williamson returned to his Ohio home and was
mustered out at Columbus, that state. He continued to live in Ohio until 1870, when
attracted by the opportunities of the west, he made his way to Colorado, settling in
Denver, where he resided for about fourteen years. In 1884 he returned to the Mis-
sissippi valley, taking up his abode in Chicago, Illinois, where he lived for three
years, during which time he was employed at the Union stock yards. In August, 1887,
he went to California, settling at Oakland, where he worked for the Southern Pacific
Railroad Company as a conductor. He continued upon the western coast until 1896,
when he came to Adams county, Colorado, where he engaged in merchandising, opening
a store at Barr Lake. Here he has since remained and has steadily conducted his
business with good success. He carries an attractive line of goods and is enjoying
650 HISTORY OF COLORADO
a gratifying patronage. During the period of his early residence in Colorado he was
a conductor and also an engineer, being one of tlie first conductors running on a
train into Denver.
In 1S76 Mr. Williamson was married to Miss Carrie Lahr, who was born in New
York, a daughter of John and Dorothy Lahr. They own the residence which they
occupy and Mr. Williamson has forty-three lots in the town and the store building
in which he conducts business. In 1897 he was appointed postmaster of Barr Lake
and has since served under different administrations, being reappointed under civil
service rule in 1914. His political allegiance has been unfalteringly given to the
republican party since he cast his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln. He
has served as secretary of the school board for eleven years and the cause of educa-
tion finds in him a stalwart champion. In fact his aid and influence are always given
on the side of progress and advancement and his work has been a potent force in the
upbuilding of the community in which he makes his home.
JAMES A. M. CROUCH.
James A. M. Crouch is the proprietor of Crouch Brothers' department store at Port
Morgan, and a most alert and energetic business man whos'e high standing in commercial
circles is indicated by the fact that he has been chosen for the presidency of the Colorado
Retail Clothiers Association. Carefully looking after every phase of the trade, he has' so
directed his efforts and energies that splendid results have accrued and the wisdom of
his opinions in relation to trade interests is acknowledged by many of the merchants of
Mr. Crouch is a native of eastern Tennessee. He was born November 23, 1865, a son
of the Rev. George A. and Emeline (Cox) Crouch, who were natives of Kentucky and
of Tennessee, respectively. The father was a minister of the Baptist church, devoting
his entire life to the work of preaching the gospel, both as an evangelist and as pastor.
He was instrumental in building a number of churches in his time and labored most
earnestly and untiringly for the cause, largely in Missouri. He baptized more than three
thousand people, and thus his work was of the greatest influence with those among whom
he lived and labored. He served as chaplain of a Home Guard regiment during the Civil
war and at all times his labors and influence were a potent element for good. He died
March 18. 1911. and his memory still remains as a blessed benediction to many who knew
him. His wife, a most estimable lady, passed away June 24, 1908.
James A. M. Crouch was reared in Missouri and attended the public schools of Breck-
enridge, Gallatin and Chillicothe. after which he was graduated from La Grange College
at La Grange. Missouri. Later, in Kentucky, he pursued a course in the Louisville
Seminary, covering a year and a half, and afterward he spent three years as a
student in the Rochester Baptist Theological Seminary at Rochester, New York, from
which he was graduated with the class of 1895. He, too. took up the work of the ministry
and accepted a pastorate at St. Louis. Missouri, serving the Euclid Avenue Baptist church
for five years. He also acted as supply pastor during his seminary course at Rochester,
New York, and at Cincinnati, Ohio, and at different periods he worked in stores at various
places from time to time. He thus spent thirteen years of his life, when his health failed,
and he then accepted a position on the road as salesman out of St. Louis, with head-
quarters in Denver. He traveled in Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and a large part
of Kansas and Nebraska for a year and a half. On the 11th of April, 1901, he came to
Fort Morgan, where he purchased a little store, and from time to time he has added to
liis stock and made removals in order to secure larger facilities, until. he now occupies
three floors of the Morgan County National Bank building. He started with two clerks,
and today employs thirty to thirty-five salespeople, in addition to which he does a large
mail order business, so that his postage in the past year cost him more than his rent
did during the first three years that he was in business, and his average gross income
per month during the past year was more than the entire first year's business. His trade
is increasing every year and is conducted under the firm name of Crouch Brothers,
although the brother now has no interest in the business. It was he, however, who
started Mr. Crouch of this review in business, and the firm style has since been main-
tained as a compliment to the brother. Mr. Crouch carries an enormous stock of goods
and draws business from five different counties in this part of the state. The business
In all of its departments is most carefully systematized and wisely directed. He studies
every principle and detail bearing upon the conduct of the trade and his sound judgment
JAMES A. M. CROUCH
652 HISTORY OF COLORADO
and progressive methods are manifest in the excellent results which have been secured.
Mr. Crouch is also engaged quite largely in buying and developing farms in Colorado. He
has improved several farms in his section of the state, which he has sold, and he owns