still others in Morgan county. He sells on the installment plan to people who are not
able to purchase outright, and he now has five farms sold on contract.
On the 11th of December, 1895, Mr. Crouch was married to Miss Lora Schoppe, and
to them were born three children: Marjorie S., who was born July 11, 1897, and is now
attending the Colorado State University at Boulder; and J. Donald and J. Douglas, twins,
born September 11, 1902.
Politically Mr. Crouch maintains an independent course. His religious faith is that
of the Baptist church, to which he has always loyally adhered, and he is now serving as
superintendent of the Sunday school, while his wife enjoys a wide and well merited
reputation as a most successful primary teacher in the Sunday school. He has been
elected to the presidency of the Men's University Club of Fort Morgan and Mrs.
Crouch is the first president of the Women's University Club. Mr. Crouch was for-
merly president of the Chamber of Commerce and has ever cooperated heartily in plans
and measures for the good of the city. He is president of the Colorado Retail Clothiers
Association and the value of his ideas is recognized by all with whom he has been brought
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
in contact through this organization or through direct business connections. There are not
many towns of this size in the state which have a store like that owned by Mr. Crouch,
who keeps in touch with progressive business ideas through reading of the trade journals,
while from his personal experience he is always gaining valuable lessons. Important and
extensive as are his business affairs, however, he always finds time for cooperating in
movements for the general good, and is now chairman of the war activities board of
Morgan county, devoting much of his time to this work. The county was the first in the
United States to report an over-subscription to the first Red Cross drive, going over the
top with more than one hundred per cent. He brings systematic effort to his work in
this connection, and under the guidance of Mr. Crouch. Morgan county has indeed made
a most splendid record in connection with war interests.
GEORGE B. CULLINGS.
George B. Cullings. devoting his attention to farming and stock raising in Adams
county, was born in Green Lake county, Wisconsin, on the 9th of December. 186.3, a
son of George and Juliet (Appleton) Cullings. The father was a native of the state
of New York, while the mother's birth occurred in the state of New Jersey. They
became early residents of Wisconsin and were married in that state, after which the
father devoted his attention to the occupation of farming. He later removed with his
family to Dade county, Missouri, where they lived for three years, and in ISSl became
residents of Taylor county. Iowa, where they resided until 1892. In that year they
started westward for Colorado and established their home upon a farm in Pueblo
county. In 189S, however, Mr. and Mrs. Cullings returned to Iowa and their remaining
days were passed in that state. They had a family of ten children, two of whom have
departed this life, while eight are yet living.
George B. Cullings is indebted to the public school systems of Missouri and Iowa
for the education opportunities which he enjoyed and which qualified him for life's
practical and responsible duties. In 1884 he went to Nebraska and took up a home-
stead in Frontier county, residing upon that property for eleven years. In 1895 he
removed to Taylor county, Iowa, where he again settled upon a farm, continuing its
cultivation for about fourteen years, or until 1909, when he established his home in
Morgan county, Colorado, where he purchased land. He was for two years proprietor
of a feed store at Fort Morgan, after which he sold his interests in that locality and
made investment in the farm upon which he now resides in Adams county. He has
here on hundred and sixty acres of good land, most of which is under ditch, and
nearly the entire farm is planted to alfalfa. He is also engaged quite extensively in
raising hogs and horses, making a specialty of Duroc Jersey hogs. This branch of his
business is proving very profitable and he has made for himself a most creditable
position among the energetic and prosperous farmers and stock raisers of his section
of the state.
Mr. Cullings was married in 1886 to Miss Maggie Bennett, a native of Illinois, and
they became the parents of five daughters: Gertrude, who is now the wife of Walter
Lowrie, of Taylor county, Iowa; Grace, the wife of Thomas P. McCormick, of Den-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 653
ver. Colorado; Eleanor, the wife of William Waters, of Denver; Margaret, now a
student in high school; and Eloise, also attending high school. The wife and mother
passed away in 1907 and was laid to rest in a cemetery in Iowa, leaving husband and
five children to mourn her loss.
Mr. Cullings is a member of the Modern Woodmen camp at Rose Hill and is also
identified with the Grange. His political endorsement is given to the republican
party and he is now serving as a member of the school board in his district but has
never been a politician in the sense of ofBce seeking. With him persistent energy
has brought its due reward. He started out in life empty-handed and has worked
strenuously, his earnest efforts bringing to him substantial success. He made work
the rule of his life and his indefatigable energy has placed him among the well-to-do
citizens and representative farmers of Adams county.
HANS R. HOLLING.
Hans R. HoUing, who is engaged in ranching and stock raising near Mount
Morrison, was born in Germany on the 24th of May, 1871, a son of Glaus and Anna
HoUing. The father died when the son was but seven years of age. The latter was
educated in the schools of his native country and then came to the United States,
settling in Nebraska. He followed farming in that state until 1903, after which he
removed westward to Colorado for the benefit of his health. A year later he pur-
chased four hundred and seventy acres of land in Jefferson county, near Mount Mor-
rison, and has since engaged in the raising of hay and grain, hogs and cattle. He
has not only won a substantial measure of success in the conduct of his business
interests but has also won what is still better — good health in the climate of Colo-
rado. Aside from his farming interests, which are wisely, carefully and profitably
conducted, he is a director of the Bergen Ditch & Reservoir Company and is much
interested in the subject of well developed and adequate irrigation.
Near Omaha, Nebraska, on the 7th of July, 1903, Mr. Holling was united in
marriage to Mrs. Helen E. Soenke. who was born and reared in Davenport, Iowa, a
daughter of Henry and Catherine Puck. Mr. and Mrs. Holling are members of the
Grange and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. While he has
never been an aspirant for political office, he has served as school director. He co-
operates in all well defined plans, and movements for the general good and in his
business affairs has so carefully and wisely directed his activities that he has gained
a substantial measure of success.
ROCKWOOD G. WEBSTER.
Rockwood G. Webster followed farming in Adams county for many years but
is now living retired, enjoying a rest which he has truly earned and richly deserves.
He was born in Aurora, Illinois, December 10, 1839, a son of Moore R. and Mary
(McCrelliss) Webster, both of whom were natives of New Hampshire. They removed
to Illinois in 1831 and settled in Kane county, taking up their abode upon a farm
which continued to be their place of residence throughout their remaining days.
The father was a second cousin of the distinguished American statesman. Daniel
Webster, and also a cousin of Noah Webster, the lexicographer. In the family of
Mr. and Mrs. Moore R. Webster were five children, but Rockwood G. is the only
one now living.
Spending his youthful days under the parental roof, Rockwood G. Webster pur-
sued his education in the schools of Aurora. Illinois, after which he remained with
his parents until he reached the age of twenty and then went to Chicago, where
he engaged in the grocery business for eight years. On the expiration of that period
he removed to Sterling. Illinois, where he carried on mercantile interests until 1S69.
He then sold out and came to Colorado, settling near Denver, where he engaged in
the cattle business for eighteen years. In 1871 he purchased the farm whereon he
now resides in Adams county, comprising three hundred and twenty acres, all of
which is under ditch and is highly improved. He has introduced irrigation and
made all of the improvements upon the farm himself and has made his property
very valuable. Here he is extensively and successfully engaged in raising horses
and is considered an authority upon anything connected with the business.
654 HISTORY OF COLORADO
In 1860 Mr. Webster was united in marriage to Miss Mary D. Cook and to tliem
were born three children: Charles H., now a resident of California; Edward E.,
deceased; and Mary D., the widow of Ray Watson and a resident of Greeley, Colo-
rado. The wife and mother passed away in 1S93 and in 1897 Mr. Webster was again
married, his second union being with Mrs. Mary F. Randall, the widow of W. F.
Randall. By her former marriage she had one son, R. J. Randall.
Mr. Webster served on the school board in his home neighborhood for several
years. He is a stanch democrat in politics, having given stalwart support to the
party since attaining his majority. For eight years he has filled the office of county
commissioner, making a most creditable record in that position, as is indicated in
his reelection. He has closely studied the welfare of the community and has exercised
his official prerogatives in support of all plans and measures whicli he believes will
benefit the county in any way. He is widely recognized as a man of genuine per-
sonal worth. He has a beautiful farm on which he has planted trees along both,
sides of the road and some of these are now two feet in thickness. For an extended
period he was one of the leading agriculturists of Adams county and is still iden-
tified with farming and stock raising interests, although at the present time he
largely leaves the work of his place to others, while he is enjoying well earned rest.
GEORGE W. WILSON.
George W. Wilson is now enjoying well earned rest, having retired from active
business after many years' connection with ranchmg in Colorado. At the present
time he makes his home in Berthoud and the industry of former years provides him
with all of the comforts and some of the luxuries of life. He has passed the seventy-
sixth milestone on life's journey, his birth having occurred in Tazewell county, Illinois,
December 31, 1842. He is a son of Christopher H. and Asenath (Phinney) Wilson,
who were pioneer settlers of Illinois, where they located in the early '30s. The father
became a farmer of that state, there carrying on general agricultural pursuits until
1S45, when he removed with his family to Monroe county, Iowa, where he purchased
and improved land. The journey westward was made in a prairie schooner with five
yoke of cattle and a saddle horse. After taking up his abode in Monroe county he con-
tinued to develop his farm there until 1851, when he sold the property and settled on
the Cedar river in Blackhawk county, where he also developed and improved a farm,
continuing its cultivation until 1856. His health then failed and he removed to Wapello
county in southern Iowa, where he purchased another farm which he converted into
rich and productive fields, devoting his remaining days to its improvement. He
passed away in April, 1862, after which his widow continued the cultivation of the old
homestead until 1898, when she gave up the farm and went to live with her children,
passing away on Decoration day of 1910.
George W. Wilson was reared and educated in Iowa and remained with his
parents until he had attained his majority. In 1864 he came to Colorado, settling
first at Central City. At the time of the big Indian scare in Denver he and his
brother-in-law were called in to help fight the red men, but the battle did not materi-
alize. However, he was sent out on scout duty. Later he worked at Central City,
chopping wood for a year and a half. He subsequently devoted two years to teaming
and then took up his abode in the valley near Golden, where he cultivated rented
land for two years. He afterward engaged in freighting between Cheyenne and
Denver, carrying on that work for about two years, at the end of which time he
became attive in the building of the railroad between Denver and Cheyenne, giving
his attention to that work through one summer. He next returned to Central City,
where he took up dairying and also acquired land. He carried on farming there for
six and a half years, and as there were fine springs upon the ranch which he owned and
the city needed water, he began selling water and also sold milk. Later he piped the
water into the town, a distance of two and a half miles, but as he had a very limited
capital it was a pretty slow process to develop a water system. However, the springs
upon his place continued as a source of the city water supply for fifteen years and he
also hauled water to the mines and as far as Idaho Springs but finally sold out to the
city. He left Central City, however, ten years before he sold the property and took
up his abode in Larimer county, Colorado. He moved onto land upon which he had
previously filed and set about improving the tract, which was three miles west of
Berthoud. He continued to carry on farming there for a decade, after which he sold
and bought another farm in Larimer county a mile south of Berthoud, which he cul-
GEORGE W. WILSON
MRS. PERMELIA WILSON MRS. SARAH A. WILSON
656 HISTORY OF COLORADO
tlvated until January, 1907. He then took up his abode in the town, in which he has
since made his home, but he and his son purchased a half section of land in Weld county
and operated this together for four years, when Mr. Wilson retired permanently from
business life, although he is still the owner of the land, from which he derives a sub-
stantial annual income, which, together with his other savings and investments, sup-
plies him with all of the comforts and many of the luxuries of life.
In September, 1864, Mr. Wilson was married to Miss Sarah A. Cross, a daughter
of Lewis and Susan (Median) Cross, who were natives of Indiana. The father was
a farmer in Iowa until 1860, when he came to Colorado and settled at Central City,
where he followed mining and teaming for about six years. He then removed to a
farm near Golden and Improved it, continuing its cultivation for some time. He later
came to Larimer county and took up a homestead which he cultivated throughout
his remainirig days. Both he and his wife died in the '70s. To Mr. and Mrs. Wilson
were born ten children, of whom three passed away in infancy. Those still living are:
Charles L., who follows farming near Campion, Larimer county, and is represented else-
where in this work; Maude, the wife of W. E. Hankins, residing in Nebraska; Blanche,
the wife of Frank Fen ton, of Wellington, Colorado; George A., who follows farming in
Weld county; Susan, the wife of Robert Longan, living seven miles west of Grover,
Colorado; Asenath, the wife of Luther Kerns, a farmer of Weld county; and Frank
G.. residing at Coquille, Oregon. The wife and mother passed away in September,
18S7. and on the 8th of June, 1893, Mr. Wilson was married to Permelia Harris, a
daughter of Beverly and Rhoda (Lane) Searcy, who were natives of Kentucky. Her
father became a pioneer settler of Iowa, building the iirst house at Chariton, and he
was sheriff at Burlington, Iowa, in an early day. He served as a detective during
the Civil war and was also on active duty in the Mexican and Civil wars. He later
went to Kansas, where his last days were passed, but his wife's death occurred during
the period of the Civil war.
In politics Mr. Wilson has maintained an independent course. He has served as
justice of the peace, filling the office for two years, but otherwise has not sought nor
desired political preferment save that he was a member of the city council when at
Central City. He belongs to the Farmers' Union and for years has been a faithful
and devoted member of the United Brethren church. For about twenty years he was
a member of the school board and did all in his power to advance educational interests
in the district in which he makes his home. His aid and influence have ever been
given on the side of advancement and improvement and he has supported all plans
for the material, intellectual, social and moral progress of his community.
CHAUNCEY JEROME PARRETT.
For thirty-six years Chauncey Jerome Farrett was a valued and respected citizen
of Colorado. He won a notable measure of success as a sheep raiser and his life
record was of inspirational value to others in that it indicated what could be accom-
plished through personal effort and ambition. Mr. Farrett was born in Goshen. In-
diana, a son of David Parrett. who was a native of Ohio but in early manhood removed
to Goshen, where he lived until he established his home in Marshalltown. Iowa, as
one of its earliest settlers. There he turned his attention to merchandising and
continued active in commercial circles until his retirement from business. He lived
to an advanced age and both he and his wife passed away in Marshalltown. They
were the parents of a family of five sons and one daughter. Two of the sons, W. B.,
who afterward went to the Pacific coast, and Milton L., a resident of Marshalltown,
were soldiers of the Union army in the Civil war, the former enlisting in the Fifth
Iowa Infantry, while the latter became a member of the Twenty-third regiment from
that state. Another son, Arthur, became the editor of the Iowa Times-Republican,
while D. O. Parrett made his home in Denver.
In 1865. when a small boy, Chauncey Jerome Parrett made two trips from Omaha
to Denver in company with his brother, Milton L., who was engaged in freighting
on the western plains. The year 1871 witnessed his arrival in California. He spent
a short time near Sacramento but returned to Denver after an absence of eighteen
months. He took up his abode in Colorado in 1874, at which time he began sheep
raising on a ranch near Byers, on the Bijou, in Arapahoe county. From that time
forward his success w^s continuous. In 1893 he established feed yards in St. Marys,
Kansas, which he owned for many years, there feeding about fifteen thousand sheep.
As time passed he acquired the ownership of various tracts of land in different sec- ■
HISTORY OF COLORADO 657
tions of Arapahoe county and upon these tracts largely pastured his sheep. He
made extensive shipments to the eastern markets, finding his best shipping point
to be Deertrail in Arapahoe county. In all of his business enterprises he met with
substantial success. He was a man of keen judgment and business sagacity and
his sheep raising interests were most carefully and successfully managed. As he
prospered he acquired considerable city real estate and was the owner of valuable
realty at the corner of Seventeenth and Glenarra streets in Denver and a lot on Welton
street, between Sixteenth and Seventeenth streets. He also figured in commercial
circles in Byers, being interested with two partners in one of the leading stores of
In 1890 Mr. Parrett removed to Denver, establishing his home on Downing ave-
nue. From that point he supervised his business affairs and as the years passed
his financial resources continually increased by reason of his wise and careful man-
agement of his business interests. He won a very substantial measure of success
and at all times enjoyed the confidence and goodwill of those with whom business
or social relations brought him in contact.
Mr. Parrett was married in Denver to Miss Maud Gildersleeve, a native of Mis-
souri, who had been. brought to Denver by her parents when this city was in its' in-
fancy. To them were born three children: Grace, Blanche and Chauncey.
In his political views Mr. Parrett was a republican, always giving stalwart sup-
port to the party and its principles yet never seeking or desiring office for himself.
In 1910 he went abroad with his family and while traveling over the European con-
tinent passed away in Munich, Germany, on the 20th of July of that year. In his
passing the business circles of Colorado met with a distinct loss and his death was
deeply deplored by many friends as well as by his immediate family. He possessed
sterling traits of character which gained him the respect, confidence and goodwill
of all who knew him, and he had made for himself a creditable position as one of
the representative stockmen of Colorado.
WILLIAM R. KINCAID, M. D.
A large and gratifying practice in Lyons and vicinity along medical lines bespeaks
the popularity as well as knowledge, experience and skill which Dr. William R. Kin-
caid has displayed in his professional labors since he has been a resident of the
city. However, this is but one phase of his activities, as he is also proprietor of
a successful drug store, and along a different line of business is connected with a
financial institution, being president of the State Bank of Lyons, a stibstantial in-
stitution which enjoys the full confidence of the public. Moreover, he serves at
present as mayor of Lyons, giving the city a business-like and resultant adminis-
tration. Born in Farmer City, Illinois, September 5, 1872. Dr. Kincaid is a son of
Andrew F. and Frances (Ritter) Kincaid, natives of Kentucky. The father followed
agricultural pursuits throughout his, life and when a child accompanied his parents
to Illinois. At the beginning of the Civil war he enlisted in the One Hundred and
Sixth Illinois Infantry and served for three years during that long and sanguinary
conflict. He participated in Sherman's famous march to the sea. After the strife
had subsided he returned to Illinois and in Dewitt county acquired land, which he
operated and improved tor many years, but he lives now retired, he and his wife
making their home at Farmer City.
William R. Kincaid was reared under the parental roof and in the acquirement
of an education attended school in Farmer City. He then took a six months' busi-
ness course at Quincy, Illinois, subsequently entering the medical department of
Northwestern University at Chicago and graduating with the class of 1894. Having
received his degree, he then established himself in the metropolis on Lake Michigan
and there practiced for a few months, quickly realizing, however, the difficulties
confronting a young physician in a large city. He therefore made his way to Elk-
hart. Illinois, and there found a fruitful field for his labors, remaining ten years.
At the end of that period he came to Colorado, locating in Denver in February, 1902,
and there maintained an office for one year. In 1903, he came to Lyons and here
he has since practiced with the exception of the first summer, which he spent upon
his ranch. Dr. Kincaid now has a very large and valuable practice and in the course
of the fifteen years which he has been established here and had a number of re-
markable cures to his credit. As his reputation as a conscientious and trustworthy
physician has spread his clientage has increased from year to year and he now de-
Vol. IV— 42
658 HISTORY OF COLORADO
rives a very gratifying income from this, source. He is a deep student and has ever
kept in close touch with the latest methods in regard to medical advancement and,
moreover, has profited by his own experience. He is careful in diagnosis and en-
joys a high reputation as a diagnostician, his opinion being often solicited by other
physicians in difficult cases. Dr. Kincaid has not only been medicaf adviser to his
many patients but has become a fatherly and helpful friend to many of them.
In the policy of the bank he exerts considerable influence and, moreover, his high
reputation professionally and as a citizen is a valuable asset of the enterprise. Dr.
Kincaid owns a ranch east of Lyons which he has rented and he also is part owner
in a lease on another large ranch of about two thousand acres, of which eight hun-
dred are under cultivation.
In December, 1893, Dr. Kincaid was united in marriage to Miss Jessie Burford
and to them were born five children: Lucille B., whose birth occurred on the 28th
of August, 1S95; Frances P., born June 12, 1899; Nellie I., July 3, 1901; Helen M.,