who was born February 22, 1908, and died July 25, 1916; and William R., Jr., born
October 19, 1910.
Dr. and Mrs. Kincaid are a valuable addition to the social set of Lyons, in which
they are very popular, and their hospitable home is often the meeting place of their
many friends. Five years ago the Doctor served as mayor of Lyons and so well
did he discharge his duties that recently he was again elected to that important
office and is now giving the city an administration foreshadowing improvements
which will be of the greatest value in the further development of the community.
He also is health officer and as such exerts his professional knowledge in order to
guard the lives of his fellow citizens. A number of improvements along this line
have been suggested by him and some of them have been put in operation to good
advantage. Along professional lines he is a member of the Boulder County Medical
Society and fraternally belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modem
Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of the World. His political affiliation is
with the republican party, the principles of which he whole-heartedly upholds. In
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
his many endeavors toward improvements along various lines Dr. Kincaid stands
unique among the citizens of his city and his enterprising spirit is greatly admired
by all those who come in contact with him. Lyons is to be congratulated upon having
him among its citizenship, as it is upon the efforts of just such men that the advance-
ment of a community largely depends.
JEROME A. WEIR.
Jerome A. Weir, of Colorado Springs, seventy-eight years of age at the time of
his death, was one of those Colorado pioneers who faced all the hardships and priva-
tions of pioneer life, while in arduous toil his efforts to reclaim and develop a wild
region were producing results the benefits of which are still enjoyed. Mr. Weir was
born in New Jersey, about fifty miles from New York city, on the 4th of March, 1840,
and his life record covered the intervening period to the 2d of August, 1918, when he
passed away in Colorado Springs. His father. George Weir, was a merchant and a
manufacturer of agricultural implements. He wedded Elizabeth Beaver and he spent
his last days in Nauvoo, Illinois. The family numbered but two sons and Austin H.,
brother of Jerome A., is also deceased.
When eight years of age Jerome A. Weir became a pupil in a private school in
Philadelphia, but the family soon afterward removed to Allegheny, Pennsylvania,
where he attended the common schools for one winter. The next removal took the
family to Peoria. Illinois, and six months afterward to Nauvoo. There the father
passed away and the mother subsequently removed with her sons to Moline, Illinois,
in 1848. Later she became a resident of Keithsburg, Illinois, but afterward returned
to Moline. There Jerome A. Weir worked in the mills and learned the lumber busi-
ness while attending school. In the year 1861, having heard most interesting reports
of Pike's Peak and the discovery of gold, he started overland for the west and finally
reached California Gulch after a six weeks' journey across the country. He secured
work on a mining claim with a promise of two dollars and a half per day. but when
three weeks had passed and he received no pay he went to Breckenridge. Colorado,
where he remained until the following fall. He then returned to his old home in
Moline, Illinois, to bring his brother and two cousins to Colorado with him. The
return trip was one of much excitement, for the members were attacked by Indians,
although they finally reached Denver in safety. From that place Mr. Weir made his
JEROME A. WEIR
660 HISTORY OF COLORADO
way to Breckenridge and in January, 1863, camped on the site of Canon City, while
subsequently he removed to Little Buttes. There he worked for a short time at the
carpenter's trade but soon afterward secured employment at a sawmill on Fountain
creek, where he labored until the mill was destroyed by fire in August of that year.
After the destruction of the mill, which resulted in the loss of his summer's wages,
the company rented a mill on the Divide, fifteen miles from Colorado Springs, and
Mr. Weir finally secured an interest in the business and eventually became sole owner.
This was one of the first lumber mills of the district and was known as Weir's mill.
He spent three years there and then located on Rule creek, where he engaged in the
lumber trade. In 1868 he built a mill on the Divide, on Squirrel creek, but in 1869
removed the mill to Easton. The previous year he discovered the body of Charley
Everhart near the present site of Colorado College and saw the band of Indians that
had scalped him. While going to work one day at Easton, Mr. Weir was surrounded
by a band of seventy-five Indians who demanded food. He refused to give it to them,
and by convincing them that a hostile tribe was threatening them, he dispersed the
In 1882 Mr. Weir left the Divide and located near Montrose, where he engaged in
sawing lumber for the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. Also in those early days he
sawed the first lumber used in Colorado Springs. His mill was destroyed by fire in
1883 and this terminated his connection with the lumber business. At that time he
purchased the Beaver ranch and the Curr ranch and entered upon a new mode of
life, devoting his attention to the raising of cattle and hay. These ranches are still
owned by the family and to their further development and cultivation Mr. Weir de-
voted his remaining days. He was a self-educated man but had an insatiable desire
for knowledge and was continually reading or studying. During his latter years he
specialized in drafting and had a complete equipment with which he drew the plans
for many of the buildings upon his own ranches.
In 1865 Mr. Weir was united in marriage to Miss Cina A. Judd, who passed away
August 24, 1886, leaving one daughter, who is Mrs. Mary Alice Wyman, who has a
son, William Weir Wyman, bom November 21, 1912, in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
On the 17th of October, 1S89, in Moline, Illinois, Mr. Weir was married to Mary L.
Huntoon, whose parents were from New Hampshire. Mrs. Weir was born in Moline.
Illinois, and comes from a fine old family of New Hampshire. Her father, Joseph
Huntoon, was for forty years deacon of the Congregational church in Moline, Illinois,
while her mother, whose maiden name was Sylvia Tenney, was one of the charter mem-
bers of the Congregational church in Moline, and all during her life was active and
prominent in the work of the church. Joseph Huntoon and his wife were among the
most highly respected people of Moline, Illinois. Mrs. Weir survives her husband after
many years of companionship and largely supervises her business affairs personally.
Mrs. Wyman and her son live with Mrs. Weir in the old home which was built by the
husband and father so many years ago.
In fraternal relations Mr. Weir was a Mason and he belonged to the Colorado
Pioneer Society. There were few phases of frontier life with which he was not familiar
and his reminiscences of the early days were most interesting and instructive, indicat-
ing conditions of that period and suggesting the great changes which have occurred
to bring the state to its present-day condition of progress and prosperity.
NORMAN S. BALLANTINE.
Large business enterprises are controlled by Norman S. Ballantine who is the
president of The Ballantine Land & Cattle Company and executive officer in many
other corporations which contribute to the material upbuilding and business devel-
opment of the state. Born in Nebraska City. Nebraska, on the 4th day of August,
1877, he is the son of George W. Ballantine. promoter of the Denver Union Stock-
yards, born in Brunswick. Missouri, on October 27, 1847, who is the son of John Bal-
lantine, a native of Scotland, whose birth occurred February 13, 1811, and when
only four years old was brought to America, the family home being established at
Zanesville, Ohio. He afterwards became a resident of Brunswick, Missouri, where
for many years he engaged in the wholesale grocery business. His death occurred
at Lincoln, Nebraska, on the 21st of January, 1875. His wife was Lucy A. CoUum,
who was born in Zanesville, Ohio, on January 12, 1818, and passed away on the 12th
day of December. 1896. George W. Ballantine acquired his early education in the
schools of his native city, Brunswick, Missouri, and completed his studies at Ne-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 661
City, Nebraska, to -which place he moved when a youth of eighteen. He estab-
lished the first lumber yard in Lincoln, Nebraska, in 1868, the year the state capitol
was located there, under the firm name of George W. Ballantine & Company, which
business he conducted until 1877 when he became identified with the Chicago, Bur-
lington & Quincy Railroad as its general livestock agent for all lines west of the
Missouri river. He served in that capacity for ten years and in January, 1887, took
up his residence in Denver, Colorado, to assume the duties of general manager of
the stockyards. At that time the corporation was no more than a feeding station
for livestock in transit, with a few stockmen operating at this point. Through
his efforts the yards were developed and from time to time were enlarged, resulting
at length in his promotion of the movement to build the present magnificent Exchange
building and the splendid Stockyards Auditorium where so many prominent athletic
events are held, as well as the Colorado stock show and horse show in recent years.
He remained the head of the Denver Stockyards for twenty-eight years as gen-
eral manager and vice president, and during the last four years as president. He
then decided to retire and allow younger men to carry on the work which he had
instituted. He was the one man who was responsible for the great growth of the
stockyards and the development of Denver as the livestock industry center of the
west. The value of his efforts in this connection cannot be overestimated. He was
also director of the stockyards bank but he has retired from all active business and
is enjoying a well earned rest in Denver. He is prominent in Masonic circles, asi
member of the Lincoln Lodge, No. 19, A. F. & A. M. of Lincoln, Nebraska; Lincoln
Chapter, No. 4. R. A. M., and Mt. Moriah Commandery, No. 4, K. T., in all of which
he has a life membership. He belongs to Denver Consistory, No. 1, S. P. R. S., and
El Jebel Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is a member of the Denver Chamber oi
Commerce, and well known in club circles as a member of the Denver Club, Denver
Country Club and the Traffic Club.
His first wife was Miss May Sherwin, whom he married in 1873. She passed
away on January 15, 188S. They were parents of but two children. The youngest,
John Howard Ballantine, died in Denver in 1909. Norman S. Ballantine was the
On January 20, 1890, George W. Ballantine was married to Ida Winnie, youngest
daughter of Hon. Peter Winnie, a pioneer of Colorado, having moved to Colorado
from Wisconsin in 1S63. Of this union they had one son, George W. Ballantine. Jr.,
born on August 17, 1892, who graduated from the University of Michigan as a civil
engineer in 1914. Shortly afterward he entered the employ of the International Trust
Company in the bond department. Some years later he, with others, organized, as
one of the incorporators, the firm of Bosworth, Chanute & Company, a bond house.
Wlien the United States called for men he enlisted in the service as a private and
was made second lieutenant on August 17, 1917, and in June, 1918, was promoted
to first lieutenant, in which capacity he served until mustered out in January, 1919.
On March 1, 1919, he severed his connection with Bosworth, Chanute & Company
and organized the present bond and investment company of Ballantine & Company.
He was married to Miss Marie Wilson on March 14, 1917.
Norman S. Ballantine attended the public school and continued his education
in the East Denver high school, from which he was graduated. He immediately
afterwards became actively connected with the livestock industry of the Denver
Union Stockyards and with the knowledge thus acquired he entered into ranching
and stock raising on his own account in Mesa county, near Collbran. His activities
in that connection later led to the organization of the Ballantine Land & Cattle
Company, which conducts its business on a mammoth scale. He has immense herds
of cattle, as well as large ranch buildings, and in all operations is meeting with
This company was incorporated in 1915 with Norman S. Ballantine as president
and George W. Ballantine as vice president, being a close corporation. In addition
to connection with this company, Norman S. Ballantine is president of The Moun-
tain States Rubber Company, manufacturers of leather belting and steam packing
and large distributors of mechanical rubber goods and automobile tires and tubes,
with plants located at Denver and Salt Lake City, Utah. He is also vice president
of The Ballantine Investment Company and connected with many other similar com-
panies and corporate interests, and his pronounced business ability makes his co-
operation a valuable factor In the conduct of any enterprise.
On the 29th day of October, 1913, Norman S. Ballantine was married to Miss
Margaret Garver of Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Garver, of this city.
They have one child, Margaret White Ballantine. who was born in Denver on March
662 HISTORY OF COLORADO
5, 1915. Norman S. Ballantlne belongs to the Country Club, Denver Motor Club,
Denver Athletic Club and the Lakewood Country Club. He is a thirty-second degree
Scottish Rite Mason, and a member of El Jebel Temple of Mystic Shrine.
With the stimulating example of his honored father before him he has so directed
his efforts and energies that he has added new laurels to the name of Ballantine as
a factor iu business circles, while his personal characteristics have brought him prom-
inently to the fore in the social life of the city, making him very popular among many
ERIC C. ERECKSON.
Eric C. Ereckson, who follows farming and stock raising, was born August 18,
1870, in Boulder county, where he still makes his home. He is a son of E. G. and
Mary (Heart) Ereckson, the former a native of Sweden, whence he came to America
when a lad of ten years. He first became a resident of Iowa and in 1859 made his
way to Colorado, then under territorial rule and in the pioneer epoch of its develop-
ment. He followed mining for several years but in 1875 took up farming in Boulder
county, where he resided until his death in the year 1906. His widow survives at
the age of sixty-seven years. In their family were seven children, five of whom are
E. C. Ereckson was reared and educated in Boulder county and after reaching his
majority he began farming on the old homestead which he now owns, comprising
one hundred and sixty acres of excellent land under a high state of cultivation. He
has carefully developed and improved this place, which is all under the ditch, and
he is successfully engaged in general farming and stock raising, his industry and
enterprise bringing to him substantial results, for his crops find a ready sale upon
In 1897 Mr. Ereckson was united in marriage to Miss Lettie Williamson, a
daughter of Samuel and Luvesta A. (Way) Williamson. The father was born in
Indiana, September 19, 1832, and the mother's birth occurred in Iowa, where their
marriage was celebrated. They crossed the plains in 1864, making the long and
tedious trip with wagon and ox team. Three months had elapsed ere they reached
their destination. They took up their abode in Boulder county, Colorado, where the
father secured a homestead and thereon built a log cabin with a sod roof and a clap-
board door, from which hung the latchstring. indicating the hospitality of the pioneer
home. He occupied that primitive dwelling until 1878, when he replaced it by a
modern frame residence. His wife passed away in 1891, out the father is still living.
In the family were ten children, seven of whom survive. To Mr. and Mrs. Ereckson
have been born five children: Howard; Homer, who is now a pupil in high school;
Luvesta F.; Wilbur E.; and Stanley Wilson.
The parents are members of the United Brethren church and Mr. Ereckson is
serving as one of the board of trustees. Fraternally he is connected with the Odd
Fellows Lodge. No. 29, of Longmont. and also with the Modern Woodmen of America,
while his wife belongs to the Royal Neighbors, in which she has filled the chair of
matron. Mr. Ereckson is a democrat in his political views and has served as deputy
assessor for twelve years. He has also been a member of the school board and he
is interested in all that has to do with progress and advancement in his community,
cooperating in all those measures which tend to promote the material, intellectual,
social and moral upbuilding of the district.
Claus Fredstrom, of Boulder county, now deceased, was numbered among those
•citizens of foreign birth who, wisely utilizing the opportunities offered them in the
new world, win success and gain a place among the men of affluence in the commu-
nities in which they reside. Mr. Fredstrom was a native of Sweden, born September
25, 1859. His parents were Carl and Ulrika Fredstrom, natives of the same country,
where they remained through the period of their son's boyhood and youth. They
afterward came to the new world and spent their remaining days on this side of the
Atlantic. They had a family of four children, of whom three are living.
Claus Fredstrom was reared and educated in Sweden and came to America in
MR. AND MRS. CLAUS PREDSTROM
664 HISTORY OF COLORADO
1882, when a young man of about twenty-three years. He first settled in Nebraska
and during the period of his residence in that state was married. He afterward re-
moved to Colorado in 1905 and located upon the farm which is now the property of
his widow, becoming the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of rich and fertile
land, all of which is carefully irrigated and splendidly improved according to modern
ideas of farming. Year after year he carefully tilled the soil and his labors were
manifest in the excellent crops which he gathered. He divided his place into fields
of convenient size by well kept fences and secured the latest improved machinery
to facilitate his farm work.
On the 3d of June, 1889, Mr. Fredstrom was married to Miss Emma Shalander, a
native of Sweden, who came to America in 18S5. She is a daughter of Andrew and
Martha (Christopher) Shalander. who were natives of Sweden, where they spent their
entire lives. To Mr. and Jlrs. Fredstrom were born seven children: Warner, who
died September 24, 1908, at the age of eighteen years; Esther, at home; Gertie, the
wife of Roy Garner, of Longmont; and Ruth. Reuben, Sidney and Elin, all yet withi
their mother. The family circle was again broken by the hand of death when on the
21st of January. 1910, the husband and father was called to the home beyond, his
remains being interred in Mountain View cemetery at Longmont, where also lies buried
the son Warner.
Claus Fredstrom left a widow and six children to mourn his loss and there
were also many friends who deeply regretted his death. He was a deacon of the Luth-
eran church, to which his widow also belongs. Mrs. Fredstrom yet remains upon the
old homestead and manages the farm, both as to general farming and live stock. The
property is pleasantly and conveniently located four miles west of Longmont, so that
the opportunities and advantages of city life are easily obtainable.
JULHTS E. ADAMSON.
Julius E. Adamson, actively engaged in the real estate and insurance business
in Boulder and actuated in all that he does by the spirit of western enterprise which
has been the dominant factor in the upbuilding of this section of the country, was
born upon a farm in Appanoose county. Iowa. October 21. 1867. His father, John B.
Adamson, was also a native of the Hawkeye state, his birth having occurred in Lee
county. Iowa, in 1843. There he was reared to manhood and in Appanoose county
he wedded Miss Amanda Kelly. They continued their residence in Iowa for a num-
ber of years and there the mother passed away in 1872. Six years later the father,
having married Caroline Norwood, left his native state for Nebraska, where he spent
his remaining days, his death there occurring. He was a son of Henry Adamson, a
native of Ohio, while the family is of English extraction. The grandfather became
one of the pioneer homesteaders of Iowa. At the time of the Civil war John B. Adam-
son responded to the country's call for aid, joining the Union army in 1862 and serv-
ing until the close of hostilities. He was captured while at the front and for about
a year was held a prisoner of war at Tyler, Texas. After victory had crowned the
Union arms he returned to the north and his attention was thereafter given to gen-
eral agricultural pursuits.
Julius E. Adamson began his education in the schools of Appanoose county, Iowa,
and was about eleven years of age when his father removed with the family to a farm
in Nuckolls county, Nebraska, where he continued his studies. At the age of twenty-
one he went to Douglass, Kansas, to attend high school, making his home with an
uncle, Professor J. W. Shiveley. Later he became a student in the State Normal
School at Emporia, Kansas, and subsequently he took up the profession of teaching,
which he followed in Butler county, Kansas, for ten years. He proved an able edu-
cator, imparting readily and clearly to others the knowledge he had acquired, but
feeling that there was better opportunity for the attainment of success in other lines,
he turned his attention to the real estate and insurance business in El Dorado. Kansas,
in 1903. In 1908 he took up a homestead in Lincoln county, Colorado, and after
proving up on it he purchased adjoining land, which he still owns, although it is
now farmed by a tenant. In the fall of 1915. he came to Boulder, Colorado, where
he opened a real estate and insurance agency and has since conducted business along
that line. Through the intervening period of three years he has become well estab-
lished in business and is now accorded a liberal patronage. He is thoroughly con-
versant concerning property values and is a representative of many of the old and
reliable insurance companies, doing a good business in that connection.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 665
On the 24th of December, 1893, at Lathrop, Missouri, Mr. 'Adamson was married
to Miss Julia M. Creed and to them were born a daughter. Ruby K., and a son, Elza
H. Th& wife and mother passed away February 18, 191S, and her death was the
occasion of deep and widespread regret, tor she was a lady of many estimable traits
of character, her life being actuated by a kindly spirit and helpfulness toward all.
She held membership in the Christian church of Boulder and was deeply interested
in church work. Mr. Adamson is also a member of the Christian church and he has
membership relations with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Knights and
Ladies of Security. In the recent war with Germany he served on the committees
which had in charge the Liberty Bond. Red Cross and War Stamps drives. His son,
Elza H., while too young to have been taken into the draft, joined the Reserve Offi-
cers' Training Camp at the University of Colorado in his home city. Mr. Adamson
gives his political endorsement to the republican party and he keeps well informed
on the questions and issues of the day but has never sought office as a reward for
party fealty, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business affairs, which
are bringing to him creditable and well merited prosperity.
William Luke, who owns and cultivates a farm of one hundred and sixty acres
in Adams county, devoted to the production of crops and also to the raising o8 stock,"
was born in England on the 2d of December. 1864. a son of William and Sarah (Wil-
liam) Luke, both of whom were natives of England, where they spent their entire
lives. There they reared their family of nine children, of whom six are living.
William Luke spent the days of his boyhood and youth in England and acquired
such educational advantages as the schools of the country afforded. He came to
America in 188S and first took up his abode in Pennsylvania, where he worked in a
coal mine for a year. On the expiration of that period he sought the opportunities