Colorado, believing that the future held much in store for the state.
Accordingly in 1872 Mr. Milheim again arrived in Colorado and for four years
was employed by Emile Riethman in herding dairy cows. He afterward worked at
632 HISTORY OF COLORADO
various occupations and carefully saved his earnings. Thrift is the basis of all suc-
cess and "thrift is the power to save." Mr. Milheim learned to save, spending nothing
more in those early days than for the necessities of life. In 1879 his capital was
sufficient to enable him to purchase eighty acres of wild land, constituting his present
homestead farm. For two or more years he was able to make but few improvements
upon the place and in order to secure the necessary money he engaged in the cattle
business in Wyoming for a part of the time. Subsequent to his marriage, however, he
took up his abode upon his land and concentrated his efforts and attention upon the
cultivation of the fields and upon stock raising. He thoroughly studied his work, made
the best use of his time and opportunities and bravely faced life's battles and came
out conqueror in the strife. He had but one hundred dollars when he landed in Colo-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
rado and although handicapped by the loss of his arm he had not lost his courageous
spirit. In the course of time he became the owner of an excellent farm on section 18,
township 1 south, range 66 west, in Adams county, near Brighton. He transformed
this place from a barren tract into one of the highly cultivated farms of the district.
His land was well watered by a splendid system of irrigation ditches and he annually
gathered good harvests. He was one of the interested advocates In the plan for the
Pulton ditch and became one of the stockholders in the company.
On the 14th of November, 1883, Mr. Milheim was united in marriage to Miss Emma
Hagus, a daugliter of Andrew Hagus, and to them were born four children, Fred A.,
Josephine, Clara and Benita. Mr. Milheim had membership with the Sons of Her-
mann and filled various offices in Koerner Lodge, No. 4, of Brighton. He also belonged
to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows as a member of Fidelity Lodge at Brighton.
Politically he maintained an independent course. He always attributed much of his
success to the encouragement and assistance of his wife, who since the death of her
husband on the 1st of January, 1916, has made her home in Brighton. Mr. Milheim
left behind him many warm friends, who esteemed him for his personal worth, his
ability and his courageous spirit.
ABNER C. GOODHUE.
Abner C. Goodhue, whose remains now rest in the Green Mountain cemetery
at Boulder, was prominently identified with the agricultural development of his
section of the state and with the promotion of its irrigation interests. His activities
were ever of a character that contributed to public progress and prosperity as well as
to individual success, and Boulder county numbered him among its most valued
residents. Mr. Goodhue was born in Toronto, Canada. October 1, 1832, a son of George
and Harriet (Cushing) Goodhue, who were also natives of Canada. On leaving that
country they removed to Minnesota, where the mother passed away. The father
afterward came to Colorado and spent his last days in Boulder county.
Abner C. Goodhue was reared and educated in Minnesota. In 1870 he was engaged
In shipping horses from Illinois, but earlier, from 1865 to 1867 he was in the freighting
business and during 1868-69 he contracted on the Union Pacific Railroad. George Rabb
was in partnership with him in the horse and cattle business from 1870 to 1S95, when
he sold out. Mr. Goodhue during this period was also engaged in teaming and freighting.
On removing to Colorado he purchased what was known as the Miller Tavern ranch in
1871. He lived thereon until his death, which occurred forty-one years later on the 29th
of November, 1912. Year after year he carefully and successfully tilled the soil, con-
stantly enhancing the productiveness of his farm, and as time passed on he also ex-
tended its boundaries by further purchases. Today the Goodhue interests comprise
eight hundred and fifty acres of land and the business has been incorporated undei*
the name of the Goodhue Farms Company. The active work of the fields is being
directed and carried on by the sons, who are engaged successfully in general farming
and stock raising. In 1873 Abner C. Goodhue, associated with others, built the South
Boulder and Rock Creek ditch, which has since been operated and is now known as
the Goodhue ditch, Mrs. Goodhue being president of the company that owns this irri-
It was in 1887 that Abner C. Goodhue was united in marriage in Boulder county,
to Miss Clara Waynick, who was born in Iowa, a daughter of W. D. and Martha (Clark)
Waynick, the former a native of South Carolina, while the latter was born in Ken-
tucky. In early life they became residents of Iowa and the father died in that state.
The mother afterward became a resident of the state of Washington, where she
passed away. To Mr. and Mrs. Goodhue were born three children: Hugh, who is
ABNER C. GOODHUl
684 HISTORY OF COLORADO
married and resides upon the ranch; Paul, who is also married and lives on the ranch;
and Burt, who makes his home with his mother. The three sons carry on the farm-
ing interests of the estate and are meeting with substantial success in their under-
takings. Mrs. Goodhue resides upon the ranch and the present large and modern
house, standing where for seventy years the old home has stood was built in 1915.
Mr. Goodhue was not an office seeker, but an earnest worker in the democratic party,
of which he was a member. His success was worthily attained. He began life's career
as a poor boy, — his first earnings being represented by fifty cents which he received
for an ox yoke which he had whittled by hand — and prosperity came to him as a
reward of incessant industry and honorable dealings. The name of Goodhue has been
closely and prominently associated with the development of Boulder county from
pioneer times to the present and has ever stood as a synonym for progressiveness
in matters of citizenship as well as along agricultural lines.
OTIS C. BOLTON.
Otis C. Bolton, actively and successfully engaged in general farming and stock
raising in Boulder county, where his birth occurred on the 7th of August. 1879, is a
son of Francis L. and Almira (Strock) Bolton, both of whom are natives of Ohio.
They became residents of Colorado in 18S7 and are now living in Niwot, this state.
Their family numbered three children, but Otis C. is the only one who survives.
Spending his youthful days under the parental roof, Otis C. Bolton, after mastering
the branches of learning taught in the public schools, gave his undivided attention
to farm work, to Avhich he was reared, having early become familiar with all the
duties and labors that occupy the time of the agriculturist. Throughout his life he
has followed farming and is now living on a farm of fifty acres, all of which is under
the ditch. The careful irrigation and cultivation of his land have made it very pro-
ductive and he annually gathers substantial harvests.
In 1897 Mr. Bolton was united in marriage to Miss Eunice Allen, a native of
Boulder county and a daughter of Alonzo and Prudy (Parker) Allen, both of whom
were born in Ohio. They had a family of two children, one of whom became Mrs.
Bolton, who by her marriage has become the mother of three children: Allen D., who
was born August 23, 1898; Vera A., who was born November 9, 1900, and is a high
school graduate; and Francis A., who was born March 16, 1908.
In his political views Mr. Bolton is a republican. Fraternally he is connected with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, his membership being in the lodge at Niwot,
and he is also identified with the Modern Woodmen of America. His life has been
quietly passed and his intelligently directed energy has brought results which are
gratifying. He works on diligently year after year, allowing no obstacles or diffi-
culties to discourage him or to bar his path, and steadily he has advanced toward the
goal of success.
JOSEPH R. CRUSE.
Joseph R. Cruse, successfully devoting his time and energies to farming and
stock raising in Jefferson county, was born in Missouri on the 16th of October, 1866,
a son of Wesley and Betty (Raine) Cruse. The father was born in Indiana and in
early life removed to Missouri, where he met and married Miss Betty Raine, a native
of Kentucky. In 1885 they became residents of Colorado and are now living at Mor-
rison, this state. They became the parents of six children and the family circle still
remains unbroken by the hand of death.
Joseph R. Cruse was reared and educated in Missouri, enjoying the benefits of
the public schools until he had passed through consecutive grades and become a high
school pupil. He accompanied his parents to Colorado in 1SS5, when a youth of nine-
teen years, and at that time started out in life on his own account. He was for ai
number of years engaged in the lumber business at Leadville and subsequently turned
his attention to farming, in which he has since continued. He devotes his time to the
development of the fields and the production of the crops best adapted to soil and
climate and he is also successfully conducting a dairy and is a member of the Milk
Producers Association. His life has been characterized by unfaltering energy and
HISTORY OF COLORADO 685
determination, wliicli qualities liave enabled liim to overcome obstacles and difficul-
ties in liis path and work bis way steadily upward to success.
In 1890 Mr. Cruse was married to Miss Lucy Kemp, a native of Nebraslia and a
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Kemp, who have passed away. Mr. and Mrs. Cruse
became the parents of six children: Charles, now deceased; Jesse, who is married
and follows farming; Bryan, who is also married and devotes his attention to farm-
ing; Albert, a bank teller in The Merchants Bank o£ Denver; and Richard and Lucy,
who have passed away.
Mr. Cruse is a well known representative of Odd Fellows Lodge, No. 13, at
Golden, in which he has filled all of the chairs. He loyally adheres to the teachinga
of the order and enjoys the highest respect of his brethren in the fraternity. In politics
he is a democrat and for two years has been filling the office of county commissioner.
He was also water commissioner under Governor Ammons for two years and for a
considerable period has served as a member of the school board, the cause of educa-
tion finding in him a stalwart champion. He has proven a progressive business man,
a loyal citizen, a capable official and a faithful friend — qualities which in every land
and clime awaken confidence, regard and respect.
Jonas Washburn is now living retired in Aurora, Adams county, but his has been
a most active, busy and useful life. He has at different periods been prominently
identified with merchandizing, railroading, mining, contracting, farming, stock raising
and dairying, and the methods he has employed in the attainment of his success well
entitle him to the respect which is uniformly accorded him. He was born in Scranton,
Pennsylvania, May 17, 1845, a son of Nicholas and Mariah (Smith) Washburn, who
were natives of the state of New York. The father removed to Pennsylvania in 1815
and there engaged in the lumber business and also in merchandising. Both he and
his wife were for many years residents of Pennsylvania, continuing in that state until
called to their final rest. Four sons were born to them, of whom three are living.
Jonas Washburn spent his youthful days in the state of his nativity and is
indebted to its public school system for the educational advantages he received. At
length he determined to try his fortune in the west and in February, 1879, arrived in
Colorado. He first located in Golden where he sought and obtained employment, with
the old wholesale grocery house of Chatman & Company, as salesman, both in the
store and on the outside as traveling representative, "in which latter capacity, he
traveled on horseback to the surrounding mining camps, including Blackhawk, Idaho
Springs and Central City. In December of 1879. he came to Denver and there entered
the employ of the Union Pacific Railway Company, in the freight department. Later,
he joined the operating forces of the Denver & Rio Grande Railway Company, and was
placed in charge of the supply department. The road being then under construction,
his work was of a most important and exacting character, and a part of the duties
performed by him was the forwarding to the front, of six thousand five hundred men,
whose labors went towards the building of this important artery of commerce.
In December, 1880, he became associated with Brick Pomeroy in the mining busi-
ness, and pursued this line of activity in Central City, Idaho Springs, and other points
throughout the state.
In March, 1887, he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. He purchased a
ranch of three hundred and twenty acres, eleven miles from Denver, and under his
careful management, it ultimately became one of the best improved places in the state.
He was largely instrumental in obtaining the establishment of a railroad station, and
shipping point there, by contributing liberally towards the expense of installing the
tracks for switching, and other facilities. The station was first named "Washburn,"
but is now known as Hazeltine. During his residence upon this ranch, he engaged
in the dairy business, specializing in high grade Jersey stock, and he has been instru-
mental, in no small degree, in improving the standard of stock in general, and Jerseys
in particular, throughout Colorado and the west. Disposing of this property, which
had in the meantime been brought to a high state of improvement, he purchased
another, and established a dairy, at Montclair, and conducted the same successfully
during the following years.
In 1900, he removed to Aurora, locating upon the property where he now resides.
He organized the Washburn Jersey Dairy Company, which soon acquired distinction
as one of the leading dairy companies of Denver and its environs. The company con-
MRS. JONAS WASHBURN
688 HISTORY OF COLORADO
tinued in business until 1916, during wliich time, Mr. Washburn was its president
and general manager. In addition to the dairying feature, the company engaged ex-
tensively in the stock business, raising highly bred Jersey cattle as well as large
numbers of beef stock. The company also became noted for the finely bred horses,
raised on its ranch, as well as for general agricultural and irrigation work, which it
conducted extensively. The various lines of enterprise, largely reflected the initiative
and far-sightedness of Mr. Washburn, who was responsible for their introduction and
development. His intelligently directed efforts and unfaltering enterprise brought
to him a measure of success that now enables him to live retired, enjoying rest and
comfort as the fruit of his former toil.
In 1868 Mr. Washburn was married to Miss Harriett Frink, a native of New York
city and daughter of Orin and Edith (Smith) Frink. Mr. and Mrs. Washburn occupy
an attractive home in the town and still own eighty acres of fine farm land. They
are consistent members of the Presbyterian church and their religious faith has guided
them in all of the relations of life. While they have had no children born to them,
they have reared and educated four boys, each of whom is now married, and all have
homes of their own. Fraternally Mr. Washburn is connected with the Masons, having
become a member of the craft, in his home town of Scranton. His political allegiance
is given to the democratic party, and his fellow townsmen, appreciative of his worth
and ability, have called him to public office. He has served on the city board and for
three terms was mayor of Aurora, giving to the city a businesslike and progressive
administration in which he brought about needed reforms and improvements. He
has always stood for public progress in civic affairs and has supported many measures
for the welfare and benefit of community and country.
WINTHROP EUGENE BLANCHARD. M. D.
Dr. Winthrop Eugene Blanchard may without invidious distinction be termed one
of the foremost surgeons of Colorado, his ability bringing him what is probably, the
largest practice in surgery in the city of Denver, where he makes his home. The
laudable ambition to make his life's work of worth to the world has prompted his steady
progress, bringing him to the liigh position which he now occupies in professional
circles. Colorado is proud to number him among her native sons. He was born in
Pitkin. October 27, 1S87, a son of Winthrop Blanchard. a native of France by right of
the fact that he was born on a French sailing vessel, the Winthrop, of which his father
was master. Winthrop Blanchard was reared and educated in France and came to
America in 1878, taking up his abode in Colorado. He was a railroad engineer and was
employed on the Pacific & Gulf Railroad and also on the Union Pacific to the time of
his death, which was occasioned by a railroad wreck in 1890, when he was thirty-
nine years of age. He was well liked among railroad employes and officials and he
took a very active and helpful part in the formation of better labor condition-s and
at the time of his death was president of the Colorado State Engineers' Union. He
was buried in Como, Colorado, where the Union Pacific Railroad Company erected to
his memory a handsome monument in the form of an engine, indicative of the fact
that he died heroically in the discharge of his duties. Some years before he had
wedded Mary Meyers, a native of Oldenburg, Germany, who came to America when a
young girl of seventeen years. In company with friends whom she met aboard the
vessel, slie made her way direct to Colorado and after a short residence in this state
met and married Mr. Blanchard. becoming his wife in 18S6. She is still living, making
her home with her son in Denver, and to her Dr. Blanchard attributes much of his
success in life. Slie became the mother of two children, the younger son being
Alfred Blanchard, a medical officer in the regular army, who spent over thirteen
months in the foreign service during the war. He is a graduate pharmacist, having
completed a course of study and successfully passed the examination before the state
board of pharmacy.
Dr. Blanchard of this review pursued his education in the public and high schools
of South Park, Denver, and in the East Denver high school, from which he was grad-
uated with the class of 1907. He then obtained employment at mechanical drafting
with a view to taking up the work as a life profession. At the age of seventeen,
however, he entered the employ of the Colorado Southern Railway Company and was
connected with various branches of mechanical work. Later he pursued a two and a
half years' course of study in the old Gross Medical College and was graduated from
the University of Colorado in 1907 on the completion of a medical course. Follow-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 689
ing his graduation lie was made house surgeon at the Denver City & County Hospital
and continued to act in that capacity tor two years. He then entered upon the private
practice of his profession, in which he has since been continuously engaged, giving his
time largely to surgical work. He is a member of the surgical staff of St. Anthony's
Hospital of Denver. He has pursued post graduate work in the Cook County Hospital of
Chicago and in the Surgical Congress of Chicago and every year since his gradua-
tion has given some time to post graduate study along surgical lines. He is a member
and the secretary of the Twentieth Century Medical Society, is a member of the
Denver City and County Medical Society, the Colorado State Medical Society and the
American Medical Association.
On the 29th of November, 1916. Dr. Blanchard was married in St. Mark's Episcopal
church in Denver by the late Rev. Dr. John H. Houghton to Miss Ramona Blair, a
daughter of Dr. Robert and Susan (Atkinson) Blair. Fraternally he is connected
with Albert Pike Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Denver Chapter, No. 2, Colorado Commandery
No. 25, and El Jebel Temple of the Mystic Shrine; also with the Benevolent Protec-
tive Order of Elks, with the Alpha Kappa medical fraternity and with Sigma Gamma
Delta, a Greek letter fraternity. In politics he maintains an independent course,
nor has he ever sought or desired office. Although not a member, he gives his sup-
port to the churches, and his aid and influence are always on the side of progress,
reform and advancement. He started out upon his business career when a youth of
sixteen and through his own efforts and the assistance of his good mother he has
reached his present enviable position as one of the eminent surgeons of the west. He
is yet a young man and what he has already accomplished indicates that his future
career will be well worth the watching. He is actuated by the highest ideals and,
judged by the standard of not the good that comes to us but the good that comes to
the world through us is the measure of our success. Dr. Blanchard is a most suc-
ANNA E. JUCHEM.
Anna E. Juchem is the owner of valuable farm property in the vicinity of Arvada
and has spent her entire life in that locality. In fact she was bom pn the old Juchem
ranch at Arvada, a daughter of John and Anna Elizabeth Juchem. In her girlhood
days she attended the public schools of Arvada and she is now concentrating her efforts
and attention upon the development of her farming interests. She has a considerable
tract of land, which is carefully cultivated and is improved with all of the accessories
and conveniences of a model farm of the twentieth century.
That Miss Juchem is making a comprehensive, accurate and scientific study of
farming is indicative through her connection with the local Grange, known as Clear
Creek Valley Grange, No. 4, also with the State Grange and the National Grange. Her
political endorsement is given to the republican party. She is well known as a rep-
resentative of one of the pioneer families of Arvada who have been closely associated
from the early days with the agricultural development of this section of the stale.
She claims that she is the only person of her age in Colorado who has spent her entire
life on the place on which she was born, not having been away from the ranch more
than one month at a time, and not more than six months altogether.
Among the substantial and valuable American citizens whom Canada has furnished
to this country was Robert Hawkey, deceased, who for many years successfully fol-
lowed agricultural pursuits in Colorado, to which state he came in 1864, homesteading
upon land south of Parker in Arapahoe county. There he established himself and as
the years passed and his means increased he added to his holdings until he became
one of the most substantial ranchers of his county, for at the time of his demise
he owned one thousand acres.
Robert Hawkey was born October 18, 1844, and was reared under the parental
roof, receiving his early education in the Dominion. There he became connected
with farm work and early became familiar with those labors which make up the farm
curriculum, at the same time gaining a knowledge of methods which he applied later
and which proved of value to him in the cultivation of his land in Colorado. When
690 HISTORY OF COLORADO
a youth of nineteen years he came to this state, which remained his home until death
On October 18, 1866, Mr. Hawkey was united in marriage to Rosella Jaworski,
a daughter of Thomas V. and Cecelia (Shaw) Jaworski, who were among the pioneers
of Chicago. Illinois, to which place they removed in 1832, five years before the city
was incorporated. Of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hawkey four are now living.
Richard T., who was reared upon the home ranch, resides there with his mother, now-
managing the property for her, and is married to Maud Monroe. Daisy B. married
William F. Rowley, who passed away in 1912. They had become the parents of three
children. Retta B. Rowley married Harvey Kime, a native of Oregon, by whom she
has one child, Franklin, and they are now living on her mother's ranch just east of
Parker. Vera H. Rowley married George Seibert. who enlisted in the United States
navy and is now stationed at Newport. Rhode Island. Robert Rowley, a mechanic,
is serving with the United States army in Prance. Correna J. Hawkey married George