McKinney and they now reside on a ranch in Elbert county, this state, with their
two daughters, Rosella and Adela. Cecelia S. Hawkey married Elmer Jewell and they
have a son, Velt. "
While Mr. Hawkey was not active in political life he was ever ready to give of
his time and means in order to promote public measures of value to his community
and through his agricultural labors contributed toward development and upbuilding.
He was considered one of the most reliable and trustworthy citizens of Douglas county
and enjoyed the respect of all who knew him. Mr. Hawkey was an honored member
of the Grange, in which organization he had many friends. His death was the occa-
sion of deep sorrow not only to his Immediate family but to tliose who lost in him a
personal friend whom they highly esteemed. His widow now resides upon the home
ranch seven miles north of Parker, in Arapahoe county, and many are those who
honor in her one of the pioneer women of the state. For fifty-five years she has been
a resident of Colorado and here her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren are
growing up, surrounding her with that loving care which is her due, and repaying
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
her in that way for the loving kindness which she has bestowed upon them.
BASIL B. CREIGHTON, M. D.
Dr. Basil B. Creighton is well known professionally and as a druggist to health-
seekers, visitors and business circles in the Pike's Peak region. He was born in Cin-
cinnati. Ohio, in 1864, a son of Peter Creighton, whose birth occurred in the north of
Ireland in 1813. The latter came to the United States in early manhood and located
in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he wedded Miss Mary Woods, a native of Armagh Ireland.
They lived industrious lives, rearing a large family. Peter Creighton passed away in
1879. while his wife was called to her final rest in 1895.
Basil B. Creighton was reared and educated in his native city. Following his
graduation from Hughes high school and a few years of business experience principally
with the Cincinnati Southern Railway he prepared for his life calling as a student in
the Medical College of Ohio, from which Institution he was graduated with honors in
1892. After competitive examination he became interne in the Good Samaritan Hospi-
tal at Cincinnati and in 1S93 came to Manitou. Colorado. After practicing through-
out the season at the famous summer resort he removed to Cripple Creek, at that
time an exciting pioneer gold camp. He soon received appointment as city physician
and as surgeon to the railroads then being built into camp. His public spirit was
evinced in the aid extended to the Sisters of Mercy in the establishment of their
hospital. After two years spent in practice, he returned to Manitou, where he assisted
in the establishment of Montcalm Sanitarium. His appointment as city physician
followed and his services have been accorded such general satisfaction that he has
retained this Important position many years.
On the 17th of April, 1899, in Cincinnati. Ohio, Dr. Creighton was united In
marriage to Miss Maud E. Rees, by whom he has four children: Basil Rees, Alice
Bernice, Mary Forest and Edwina. Naturally an optimist, his aid and Influence have
ever been given on the side of progress and improvement. He was one of the organ-
izers and has been for many years a director of the Hot Iron Club, a commercial
organization of Manitou, and has always been active in promoting her commercial in-
terests. In addition, for many years by voice and pen, he has championed the cause
of Manitou as the leading health resort in the west. His brochure, entitled "Manitou
Springs and the Springs of Manitou," written to advance the health interests of this
DR. BASIL B. CREIGHTON
692 HISTORY OF COLORADO
pictur.esque watering resort at the toot of Pike's Peak is a literary gem. It may be
said of him that his thoughts were ever of Manitou and that he worked continuously to
the end that the many might know and benefit by the charms of Manitou and the
health renewing qualities of her uniquely tonic climate and mineral springs.
RALPH C. TILTON.
Ralph C. Tilton is the efficient cashier of the Deertrail State Bank of the town of
Deertrail and is also extensively identified with stock raising in Arapahoe county.
He is numbered among the substantial citizens that Iowa has furnished to Colorado,
for his birth occurred in Decatur county of the former state on the 27th of May, 1888.
a son of Maynard and Letha (Barr) Tilton, the former a native of Maine, while the
latter was born in Indiana. For about thirty years they were residents of Iowa and
in 1915 came to Colorado, now making their home upon the ranch of their son. They
have but two children and the elder, Arthur, is now serving in the United States army.
Ralph C. Tilton was reared and educated in Iowa, supplementing his early studies
by a high school course. He started out in the business world on his own account
when a young man of twenty years, going to Nebraska, where he secured the position
of assistant cashier in a bank, thus serving for three years. In this manner he gained
his initial experience in the banking business and in 1912 he came to Deertrail, Colo-
rado, to enter upon the duties of cashier of the Deertrail State Bank, in which capacity
he has since acceptably and capably served. He is a courteous and obliging official
and his business ability, combined with his genial manner, have done not a little to
further the business of the bank and make it one of the substantial financial institutions
of this section of the state. On removing to Colorado he also purchased a fine ranch of
nine hundred and sixty acres and has since added eight hundred and sixty acres to the
original tract. His place is splendidly improved and upon it he runs a large herd of
cattle and also many sheep. His live stock interests are extensive and important and
in addition to this he makes a specialty of raising alfalfa, harvesting large crops an-
On Uie 29th of December, 1910, Mr. Tilton was married to Miss Edna N. Brownell,
a native of Iowa, and they have become parents of two children, Ardis A. and Helen A.
Mrs. Tilton is a member of the Christian church. Both Mr. and Mrs. Tilton are highly
esteemed in the section of the state in which they make their home, occupying an en-
viable position in social circles by reason of their sterling worth of character and their
unfeigned cordiality. In all of his business career Mr. Tilton has displayed adapta-
bility and keen discernment as well as unfaltering enterprise, and since starting out
independently has advanced step by step, constantly gaining a broader outlook and
In the sudden death of Jesse Crooks, on December 9, 1918, Adams county lost
one of its best known and highly respected citizens, his demise causing sincere sorrow
among his many friends. He owned and occupied the farm upon which he resided
from 1907 to the end but dated his residence in Colorado from 1874 and was therefore
numbered among its pioneer settlers. He lived for a long period in Jefferson county
before removing to Adams county, where he was successfully engaged in carrying on
general agricultural pursuits. He was l)orn in Buchanan county, Iowa, June 4, 1855,
a son of James and Rebecca Crooks, who were natives of Ireland. Coming to America
in early life, the father settled in Ohio and afterward removed to Iowa, where his
remaining days were passed. To him and his wife were born ten children, of whom
three daughters and one son are living.
Jesse Crooks was reared in Iowa upon the old home farm and early became
familiar with all the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the farm-bred boy. He
remained at home until he reached the age of nineteen years and then sought the
opportunities of the west, coming to Colorado. He took upi his abode upon a farm in
Jefferson county, there residing until 1907. when he purchased his late place in Adams
county, comprising one hundred and fifteen acres, the greater part of which is well
irrigated, thus greatly enhancing its productiveness. He annually raised good crops
HISTORY OF COLORADO 693
and his enterprise and unwearied industry were the salient features in his growing
In 1SS2 Mr. Crooks was united in marriage to Miss Anna Evans, a native of
Pennsylvania, and to them were horn six children: James; Henry; Marian, who is the
wife of ;P. E. Graves; Viola, at home; Jessie, deceased; and William O.
In politics Mr. Crooks was a republican, having always supported the party since
age conferred upon him the right of franchise, but he never sought or held office.
He always concentrated his efforts and attention upon his business affairs and it was
by reason of his close application that he won a place among the substantial farmers
of Adams county. His untimely end on December 9, 1918, caused by neuralgia of the
heart, was a great shock to his family to whom he ever was a loving and sacrificing
husband and father. A man of sterling character and endearing qualities he also
left many friends to mourn his loss, and with his wife and children, as well as his
friends the memory of him will ever remain a blessed benediction.
CARL D. JOHNSON.
Carl D. Johnson, who follows farming and stock raising in Boulder county, was
born in Sweden on the 3d of March, 1856, a son of John and Katherine Johnson, who
were also natives of Sweden, where the father spent his entire life. The mother
afterward came with her family to the United States in the year 1870 and took up a
homestead claim in Colorado, whereon her son, Carl D., now resides. She continued
to make it her place of residence until she, too, was called to the home beyond.
In the family were but two children, the younger being Frank Johnson, who is now
living in Routt county, Colorado.
Carl D. Johnson was a lad of fourteen years when he accompanied his mother on
the long voyage across the Atlantic and the trip across the country to Colorado. Since
that time he has resided in this state and has always followed agricultural pursuits.
He now owns the old homestead place, which comprises one hundred and twenty
acres of rich and productive land which is all under the ditch. He makes a specialty
of dairying and at the same time carries on general farming and annually harvests
good crops. For dairy purposes he keeps a large number of high-grade cows and the
products of his dairy find ready sale on the market. He leads a busy life and Blsi
unfaltering energy has been the basis of his growing success.
In 1887 Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Hilda C. Lett, a native 'of
Sweden, who came to America in that year. To them have been born three children:
OUie, the wife of Robert Etzler; Winifred, deceased; and Ardner F., who is married
and farms the old homestead.
Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are consistent members of the Lutheran church, contribute
generously to its support and take an active Interest in its work. Mr. Johnson has
served for twenty-seven years as a school director and has done much to further the
cause of education in his locality. His political allegiance is given to the democratic
party. He is a self-made man who, starting out in life empty-handed, is now the pos-
sessor of a substantial competence that is the direct reward of his industry and per-
Andrew Hagus. who for many years was a leading and representative farmer of
Adams county, passed away on the 5th of May, 1917. He had been identified with the
pioneer development of Colorado, where for nearly si.xty years he had made his home,
and as the years were added to the cycle of the century he bore his full share in the
work of general improvement and progress. He was born in Prussia, Germany, near
Cologne, on the 21st of June, 1837, his parents being Joseph P. and Elizabeth (Leasch)
Hagus. He was a public school pupil until 1849 and then accompanied his parents to
the new world, the family home being established at Galena, Illinois, where the father
followed the tailoring trade, which he had learned in his native country. The son
acquired a knowledge of the English language in the public schools of Galena and when
a youth of fourteen years started out in the business world by securing employment
in a nursery. His first wage was four dollars per month. Later this was advanced
to six dollars and during the last two years he spent at the nursery he received eight
694 HISTORY OF COLORADO
dollars per month. In 1857 he became a clerk in a merchandise establishment, in
which he remained for two years.
In 1859, attracted by the opportunities of the growing and developing west, Mr.
Hagus started for Colorado with three companions, each man driving his own team.
They left in March and after two months arrived in Denver. They then proceeded to
Deadwood and soon afterward were busily engaged in mining. In June of the same
year they made their way to the Gregory mines, where they successfully worked for
a brief period and then sold their interests, returning to Denver with the intention
of spending the winter there. However, they soon left the city to remove to Brighton
and Mr. Hagus began raising vegetables and supplies for the miners. He and his
companion were the first to engage in this line of business at Brighton and they
found ready sale for their products. They brought the first mowing machine, rake
and other farming implements that were ever brought into the locality. In the fall of
1S60, however, Mr. Hagus again made his way to the mines, where he made a profit-
able discovery, and later he began hauling supplies to the miners in different parts
of the mountains. Under the homestead act he preempted his farm in 1863 and secured
a quarter section of land, to which he afterward added by purchase until he became
the owner of two hundred acres, which he brought under a high state of cultivation.
He was interested in all that pertained to progressive agriculture and was largely
instrumental in furthering the Fulton ditch, being one of the stockholders and the
vice president of the company. He also extended his business activities in other
directions, becoming financially interested in the Brighton Mills, and from time to time
he invested in Denver property until his real estate holdings were quite extensive.
In 1864 Mr. Hagus was married in Galena, Illinois, to Miss Kate Ziegler, a native
of Germany, who passed away in 1S83. Their children were five in number: Emma,
who became the wife of Frederick Milheim; Henry J., who has devoted his life to
farming; Louise, the wife of Albert R. Ritter, of Denver; Katie, the wife of John
Barnard, of Steamboat Springs; and Fred, also a farmer. The elder son, Henry J.,
married Miss Martha Bruhart and has two children, William Louis and Lydia Eliza-
beth. After losing his first wife Mr. Hagus was married on the 10th of July, 1885, to
Magdalena Baden and they had two sons, Andrew, Jr., and John L., and a daughter,
Mr. Hagus gave his political allegiance to the republican party from the time
when he cast his first presidential ballot for Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876. He was
never ambitious to hold office, preferring to give his time and attention to his
business affairs and family interests. His religious faith was that of the Catholic
church, he being a communicant of the Brighton parish. Those who knew him, and
he had a wide acquaintance, esteemed him as a man of sterling personal worth and in
his life record he illustrated what it is possible to accomplish through personal effort
when industry is guided by diligence and determination. The many years spent by
Mr. Hagus in Colorado made him a most valued citizen of the state, for he was loyal
to its interests and active in promoting its growth and development in the community
in wliich he made his home.
ALFRED W. DULWEBER.
Alfred W. Duhveber is an attorney at law practicing at the bar of Fort Morgan
and' although one of its younger representatives has already displayed qualities which
indicate that liis future career will be well worth the watching. He was born in
Covington, Kentucky, on the 10th of April, 1892, and is a son of John and Anna (Linde-
mann) Dulweber, both of whom were natives of Ohio. The father engaged in business
as a lumber dealer and subsequently removed to Kentucky, where he spent the residue
of his life in Covington, remaining an active and progressive business man of that
place to the time of his demise, which occurred in December, 1898. His widow is now
living in Fort Morgan, Colorado.
Alfred W. Dulweber was reared and educated in Ohio. He also attended private
schools in Kentucky and became a student in the State University of Ohio, in which
he completed the classical course, winning the Bachelor of Arts degree. He afterward
studied in the University of Colorado at Boulder and won his LL. B. degree upon
graduation with the class of 1917. He had determined to make the practice of law his
life work and after a thorough preliminary course in the State University he located
at Brush, Colorado, where he entered upon the practice of law, in which he continued
until the 15th of September, 1917, when he came to Fort Morgan, where he has since
ALFRED W. DULWEBER
696 HISTORY OF COLORADO
r«~acticed. Here he entered into partnership with F. E. Pendell under the firm style of
Pendell & Dulweber, and they are making for themselves a creditable position at the
Mr. Dulweber is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and his
religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Catholic church. His political
views are in accord with the principles of the democratic party. He is a young man,
wide-awake, alert an^ enterprising, interested in public welfare as well as in personal
advancement, and gives active aid and cooperation to many movements for the general
Ralph' Eggleston is one of the prominent stock raisers of Jefferson county, spe-
cializing in pure blooded Holstein cattle and fine Shropshire sheep. He has come to
be a recognized authority upon questions relating to this business, and his practical
and progressive ideas are manifest in the excellent results which have attended his
Mr. Eggleston is a native of the Empire state. He was born in Dutchess county,
New York, April 7. 1868, a. son of James R. and Samantha (Selleck) Eggleston. He
pursued his education in his native county and afterward took up railroad grading,
which he jfollowed for twenty-five years, doing construction work throughout the United
States, Mexico and Canada. In 1896 he came to Colorado and made this state his
headquarters while still engaged in contract work. About twelve years ago. or in
1906, he i)urchased a 4arge ranch in Jefferson county near Morrison and after four
years moved to the place, since which time he has continued its cultivation and im-
provement. He is now one of the well known, prominent and successful sheep raisers
and also Specializes in handling pure blooded Holstein cattle. His stock has won vari-
ous prized at shows and his close study of everything connected with the raising of
fine stock| has made his opinions of value concerning the live stock industry in the
On the 9th of August, 1902, Mr. Eggleston was married to Miss Tempa May Rain-
water and they have a daughter, Katherine T., and a son, James R. Mr. Eggleston is a
Mason, iqentified with the lodge at La Grange, Illinois. His political allegiance is
given to the republican party and he keeps well informed on the questions and issues
of the day but has never sought or desired office as a reward for party fealty. He is
concentrating his thought, purpose and energy upon his business affairs, which have
been wisely directed and have brought to him a substantial measure of success, so
that he is; numbered among the men of affluence in the vicinity of Morrison.
SQUIRE RALPH GIDDINGS.
Squire Ralph Giddings, proprietor of a garage, dealer in automobiles and manu-
facturer of the Giddings beet puller at Timnath, Larimer county, was born in Cameron,
Illinois, December 29, 1873, a son of Loren and Elizabeth (Stafford) Giddings, the
former a native of Illinois, while the latter was born in Pennsylvania. The father
devoted his entire life to farming save for a period during the Civil war. when he
was employed by the government at baling hay. He was reared and educated in Illi-
nois and when he reached man's estate turned his attention to farming as a life work.
He bought and improved land, which he continued to cultivate until 1881 and then
removed to Iowa, where he carried on farming until 1883. In the latter year he re-
moved to Larimer county. Colorado, at which time Fort Collins contained a popula-
tion of but fifteen hundred. He rented land ten miles northeast of the place and
there resided for fourteen years. He afterward engaged in farming in Morgan county
for two years, after which he returned to Larimer county and devoted his attention
to farming "near Timnath for a time. Later he retired and bought a nice home ini
Timnath, where he spent his remaining days, his death occurring in the spring of
1915, when he had reached the age of seventy-two years.
Squire R. Giddings spent the days of his boyhood in Illinois and Iowa prior to
coming to Colorado and attended the public schools of both states, while in Fort Col-
lins he continued his education until his parents removed with the family to a farm
about ten miles northeast of the city. As there was no school nearby, his father and
HISTORY OF COLORADO 697
others organized a district school and his sister was the first teacher, S. R. Giddiugs
being one of her pupils. Later he became a student in the high school at Fort Collins,
riding horseback to and from the town night and morning. He also aided his sisters
through high school. He remained with his parents until he reached the age of
twenty-two years and afterward learned the blacksmith's trade. He never served an
apprenticeship but worked under his brother, who is at the head of the Giddings
Manufacturing Company of Fort Collins. At a later period S. R. Giddings removed
to Timnath. eight miles southeast of Fort Collins, and there engaged in blacksmith-
ing. conducting his shop until 1915, when he retired from that business. On the 23d
of April. 1912, he invented and patented a beet puller, and he had also invented one
which was patented on the 23d of May, 1911. He commenced the manufacture of the
puller and since retiring from the blacksmithing business has devoted much of his
time to manufacturing his invention and also to the automobile business, operating
a garage and doing a general motor repair business. He likewise handles the Cole
car. He is now having a large sale for his beet puller and he has very strong recom-
mendations from the Great Western Sugar Company, which now uses his puller ex-
clusively. He has equally commendatory letters from prominent farmers throughout
this section of the state. Mr. Giddings expects in a very short time to incorporate
his business and enlarge the plant in order to manufacture the beet puller on an
extensive scale. Another branch of his business is putting in centrifugal pumps,
which are found throughout this section of the country as the result of his labors.
He likewise engages in the conduct of a gas and oil business in partnership with
E. W. Thayer, a banker, and he is a stockholder in the Timnath Water Company. In
all business interests he is actuated by a spirit of enterprise and progressiveness that
has accomplished most gratifying results.
On the 22d of February, 1900, Mr. Giddings was married to Miss Edith N. Willis,
a daughter of John L. and Luella (Cobb) Willis. They became parents of five chil-
dren, two of whom are living: Dora W., born November 26, 1908; and John H.,
born November 26, 1910. One child died at birth, while Elizabeth L,., who was born
in November, 1900, and Dorothy are also deceased.
Mr. Giddings is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Fort Collins
Lodge, No. 19, A. F. & A. M.; Port Collins Chapter, No. 11, R. A. M.; and Fort
Collins Commandery, No 13, K. T. He is likewise connected with the Woodmen of
the World. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church and in political
belief he is a republican. In all of his business affairs he is actuated by a progressive
spirit that accomplishes results which are far-reaching and satisfactory. He has made
valuable contribution to the world's work in inventing and manufacturing the beet
puller, which is of distinct value to this section of the country, in which the growing