Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 9 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 9 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Mr. and Mrs. Barnet have one child, Corinne, who was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, March
15, 1895.

Mr. Barnet is connected with the Knights of Pythias. He holds membership also
in the Denver Civic and Commercial Association and is an associate member of the
Denver Manufacturers Association, thus being active in promoting interests of value
in connection with the upbuilding and improvement of the city and the extension of
its trade relations. He belongs to the First Baptist church, in the work of which he
takes an active and helpful part. His various connections have been the motive force
of his continued advancement in business life until his position today is one that
places him in the front rank of the business men of the city. He is most energetic
and determined in all that he undertakes and never stops short of the successful
accomplishment of his purpose.



A. NEWTON PATTON.



Knowledge of the law with ability to accurately apply its principles has made A.
Newton Patton a prominent attorney at the Denver bar as a specialist in bonds and pub-
lic and corporation securities, while business acumen in other directions has led to his
selection as the president of The Denver Title Guarantee Company. He is actively identi-
fied with interests having to do with the upbuilding of the city of Denver and the pros-
perity of the state. A substantial proportion of Denver's and Colorado's citizenship came
from Ohio and to this class A. Newton Patton belongs. He was bom in Highland, Ohio,
on the ISth day of July. 1867. His parents were Andrew Newton and Mary McCullough
(Fairley) Patton. His earlier ancestors were natives of Kentucky, belonging to the
earliest settlers of that state, whither they migrated from Virginia, and originally from
England and Scotland. His father served in a judicial capacity in Ohio for over twenty
years and was prominent with the legal profession until his death. He had attained the
venerable age of eighty-seven years when he passed away in 1899. Both Mr. Patton's par-
ents were educated in Ohio. Their family numbered nine children, of whom A. Newton
Patton of this review is the youngest. One of his brothers, James F. Patton, enlisted for
service in the Union army at the outbreak of the Civil war when he was only sixteen
years of age and was assigned to a regiment stationed on the frontiers of Wyoming to
protect the government telegraph lines from the Indian raids. He was stationed at Fort
Laramie and Fort Casper. Wyoming, in 1863 and while repairing and guarding the tele-
graph lines in the Sweetwater district, which had been cut by a party of Sioux Indians on
the warpath, he was shot, the bullet piercing the right lung and going clear through his
body. Of fourteen men who were sent out on that particular expedition only three re-
turned alive, one of these being "Jim" Patton. After careful examination by the post
surgeon his case was pronounced hopeless and he was given until the next morning to
live. He secured a number of morphine tablets prescribed by the army surgeon and in
the absence of his attendant he took a greater number of these to relieve his pain than
had been prescribed. Immediately he fell into a deep sleep, from which he awoke Just
seventy-two hours afterward. While he was in that condition his wound was kept thor-
oughly cleansed by the crude method of a clean cloth being used to clear out the wound
by passing it entirely through his body, and from the time he awakened his condition
began to improve and in eleven months he had entirely recovered. He had scarcely re-
gained his normal condition when he was again accidentally shot by a soldier cleaning
his gun. this time in the abdomen, and once more he was given up to die, but his almost
superhuman strength enabled him to weather this crisis also. Surgeons from various
sections pronounced both wounds incurable. Not another one out of thousands of simi-
lar cases known to surgery had ever survived, his last wound being very similar to that




A. NEWTON PATTON



68 HISTORY OF COLORADO

which caused the death of President James A. Garfield. Mr. J. F. Patton is still living,
making his home in Ohio, and is today enjoying fairly good health.

In early life A. Newi^on Patton of this review attended the public and high schools,
of Greenfield, Ohio, from which he graduated. He then came to Denver and entered the
law department of the University of Denver as a law student, matriculating in 1893. He
had the honor of being the first law student to matriculate in that institution, so that his
name is the very first one on the register of representatives of the bar v/ho are numbered
among the alumni of the University of Denver. He began practice immediately after
graduation, and has since become an authority on bond, title and trust laws. He has
specialized along that line in his practice and has developed ability in that field of
jurisprudence. Hjs opinions are recognized as authority on questions of that char-
acter. In 1914 he organized The Denver Title Guarantee Company, of which he has
since become the president. This is now one of the leading corporations of Its kind
In Colorado. He is also attorney for a number of mining, irrigation and industrial
corporations.

On the 12th of October, 1898, Mr. Patton was united in marriage to Miss Lucia Cas-
sell, of Denver, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William J. Cassell, well known and promi-
nent people of the city, identified with Denver's interests from pioneer times and es-
pecially with the temperance and reform work of the state. Mr. and Mrs. Patton are
proud of their three children. Lucia Cassell Patton, born in Denver in 1900, a graduate of
the North Denver high school and who was a student in the University of Colorado, is
at present teacher of French, Spanish and mathematics in the Kiefer, Oklahoma, high
school. Marietta Elizabeth, born in Denver in 1902, is a senior in the North Denver high
school; and Newton Cassell Patton, born in Denver in 1906, is now attending the Aaron
Gove school of Denver. The religious faith of the family for many generations has been
that of the Presbyterian church. In social circles they occupy a highly respected posi-
tion.

Mr. Patton is Identified with various fraternal organizations, belonging to the
Masons, the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of
The Maccabees, the Woodmen of the World, the Modern Woodmen of America and the
Junior Order of American Mechanics. Along strictly professional lines he is a member of
the American Bar Association, the Colorado State Bar Association and the Denver Bar
Association, being an ex-president of the last. He is also connected with the Civic and
Commercial Association. His political endorsement has ever been given to the republican
party and for nine successive years he served as a member of the council of the city and
county of Denver. He was a member of the committee which organized the department
of building and loan associations of the state of Colorado. In the republican primary
election of 1918 he was one of his party's candidates for district judge of the second ju-
dicial district, within and for the city and county of Denver. Mr. Patton has always
stood loyally for the best interests and activities in society and state affairs and the
ability which he has displayed and prominence to which he has attained in business
circles enable him to speak with authority, while his support of any proposition secures
to it a large following.



JACOB D. GUMAER.



Jacob D. Gumaer is the general manager of the Parlin & Orendorff Plow Company
at its large branch house in Denver and he is regarded as one of the most popular men
in the implement trade in the Mountain States country, while Denver classes him as
an honored and respected citizen. He has made his home in the Queen City of the Plains
for many years and is therefore widely known. He was born in Sullivan county. New
York, April 21, 1857, and is a son of Peter and Esther (Smith) Gumaer, both of whom
were born in the Empire state, where they were reared, educated and married. The
father engaged in the manufacture of flour on his own account for many years and passed
away in New York, after which his widow removed to Kansas, where her last days
were spent. They had a family of five children.

Jacob D. Gumaer of this review was the third in order of birth in the family and
in early life was a pupil in the public schools of Sullivan and Tompkins counties in
New York. In the latter county he also attended the Monticello Academy and following
his graduation from that institution he went to New York city, where he entered the
wholesale grocery business, continuing actively in that line for three years. He came to
Colorado, March 29, 1879, locating in Denver, and immediately secured a position with
the firm of Hartig & Patch, with whom he remained for two years. In 1881 he went



70 HISTORY OF COLORADO

to Kansas City and entered into the farm implement business with the Smith-Keating
Implement Company and became the traveling representative of the house. For nine
years he was manager of the Racine-Sattley Company of Denver and Kansas City, Mis-
souri, for the states of Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and Kansas. He returned to
Denver in July, 1901, to take over the management of the Parlin & Orendorff Plow Com-
pany. Denver branch. This is one of the largest farm implement manufacturing con-
cerns and plow companies of the west. They have a very extensive plant in Denver,
requiring a man of long experience, wide knowledge and ability to carefully direct its
interests. Mr. Gumaer thoroughly understands every phase of the business, the value
of the mechanical construction of its output and at the same time his long experience
in salesmanship splendidly qualifies him for the management of that branch of the
business — the introduction of its goods to the trade and the development of its patronage.
Mr. Gumaer's business record covers thirty-flve years of intense activity intelligently
directed. What he has accomplished represents the fit utilization of his time and talents.
He has at different periods been connected with leading implement houses of the country
and every change that he has made has indicated a marked step in advance. He has
telegrams in his possession indicating the regret of a house that was losing his services
and also telegrams from other houses desiring to at once seal the contract that would
secure his services. His name is indeed a well known one in implement trade circles
of the west and he is very popular among the men engaged in this line of business. In
1917 he was elected to the office of president of the Hardware. Implement and Paint Club
and made the opening address at the convention of the State Hardware Implement
Dealers' Association in January, 1918.

On the 8th of March, 1892, Mr. Gumaer was united in marriage to Miss Anna Cold-
water, of Lyons, Kansas, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Coldwater, who were natives
of Illinois. Mrs. Gumaer has become the mother of two children: Frank, who was
born in Newton. Kansas, March 10, 1893. and is a graduate of the Denver high school;
and Esther, who was born in Newton, May 23, 1896, and is also a graduate of the high
school of Denver and a graduate in music of the Denver Conservatory. She is well known
and popular in musical circles of the city.

Mr. Gumaer holds membership with the United Commercial Travelers. Politically
he maintains an independent course, not caring to ally himself with any party but pre-
ferring to cast his ballot according to the dictates of his judgment. He is a self-made
man who has reached a point of prosperity, his advancement being due entirely to his
capability and earnest effort. His close application, the integrity of his course, his
progressive spirit and his indefatigable energy have been the salient features in bringing
him to the creditable and responsible position which he now fills. The fine home which
he occupies is an indication of his success and of his well directed energy and thrift.
His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the City Park Congregational church,
of which he is an officer and trustee.



JOHN B. MAYERS.



John B. Mayers, who for a quarter of a century has been engaged in the ice,
business in Littleton and who has served as mayor of his city, was born in Wurtem-
berg, Germany, December 29. 1843, a son of Kaspar and Rosina Mayers. He was
brought to the United States by his parents when twelve years of age. arriving on
the 1st of September, 1856. He attended school in his native land until ten years of
age and as he is a well read man, well informed on many subjects, his higher educa-
tion must be ascribed entirely to his own efforts. Of a studious mind, he has an
insatiable appetite for good literature and has especially delved into history, both
religious and secular. Continuing along this line, he later in life studied Buckle's
"History of Civilization in England," deriving keen satisfaction from this critically
authentic work. At the age of fourteen he made his debut in the world of hard
knocks and disillusions — willing to work and ambitious to conquer — but without a
cent. He has made of life a success and is therefore entitled to the proudest title
bestowed in America — that of a self-made man. When this country was thrown into
that bitter struggle, arising out of the conditions of the south, clashing with the
principles of the north, Mr. Mayers gave his services to his newly adopted country and
continued throughout the Civil war, his record being more extensively given below.

When twenty years of age he began learning the butchering business, at which he
continued for many years. On the 16th of February, 1876, he arrived in Denver and
again became identified with the butchering business, forming a partnership with



HISTORY OF COLORADO 71

Henry Weinrich, their location being at Arapahoe and Eighteenth streets. There he
continued for four months and fourteen days. He then walked to Littleton, where
he arrived June 2, 1876, with forty dollars of borrowed money. Throughout the inter-
vening period he has largely made Littleton his home, being absent for only a brief
time during all the intervening years. He first engaged in the butchering business
and in the conduct of a hotel for two years, cooking tor the men who were engaged
on railroad construction. On tha 1st of July. 1878, he went to Leadville, where he
engaged in prospecting but was not fortunate in striking gold. He then turned his
attention to contracting and made some money in that way, but after four years he
left Leadville and again came to Littleton. For ten years he was engaged in the
artesian well business and made some money in that connection. His next venture
was in the ice trade and for a quarter of a century he has been an ice merchant of
Littleton, a fact that indicates his success. He has built up a big business and for
many years has enjoyed an extensive and gratifying patronage.

Mr. Mayers was first married in Dayton, Ohio, on the 27th of May, 1866, to Miss
Barbara Waters, who passed away in 1912. The children of that marriage are: Charles
W.; Ella, the wife of George Griffith, living in Idaho; Fannie, the wife of R. W. Cand-
ler; and Mary, the wife of S. N. Playford. of Utah. For his second wife Mr. Mayers
chose Lunette Dailey Harrigan and they were married in Denver on the 16th of
November, 1914.

Mr. Mayers' military record covers service with Company E of the Seventy-First
Ohio Infantry, in which he fought for four years and four months during the Civil
war. While working as a lineman near Cumberland, Tennessee, he was taken prisoner,
but was paroled. On parole he went to Dayton, Ohio, and was exchanged in February,
1863, then rejoining his regiment. He was wounded in the battle of Shiloh and he
participated in the battle of Missionary Ridge, went to Nashville. Tennessee, and he
was also in the Atlanta campaign and thus loyally defended the Union throughout the
entire period of hostilities between the north and the south. Mr. Mayers has always
been interested in the welfare and progress of the city in which he has so long made
his home and has served as alderman, while for one term he was mayor of Littleton.
He has not adhered to any political party but maintains an independent attitude,
voting for men and measures that he thinks are most valuable to the country. He
is widely known as a progressive business man and his enterprise has brought to him a
substantial measure of success.



THOMAS BAYARD BURNITE.

Thomas B. Burnite is the president of the Western Engineering Specialties Com-
pany of Denver and as such is at the head of an extensive and prosperous business,
with headquarters in the Boston building. Through business and social connections
he has become one of the best known citizens of Denver, highly esteemed by all with
whom he has been brought in contact. He was born in Felton, Delaware, July 6, 1879,
a son of Wilbur H. and Marie Lindale Burnite, the former a native of Maryland, while
the latter was born in Delaware. The father was well known in connection with public
life in Delaware, where he served for two terms as state treasurer and held other im-
portant offices. He was also a member of the state legislature, serving as representa-
tive and as state senator one term each. In business lite he was a manufacturer of
lumber and operator of a sawmill producing ship keels, and he was also owner of
large peach orchards. He died October 21, 1918, and is survived by his widow, who
resides at Snow Hill, Maryland. Their family numbered six children: Martha; Lindale,
a resident of Denver; Clara; Thomas B; James Hyland; and Pauline.

In his boyhood days Thomas B. Burnite attended the country schools of Felton,
Delaware, and afterward entered the Williamson Technical and Trade School at Phila-
delphia Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated in 1900. After leaving that
school he secured a position with the Deane Steam Pump Company of Holyoke, Massa-
chusetts, and remained with the firm for a year, when he went with the Chicago
Pneumatic Tool Company of Franklin, Pennsylvania, and Cleveland, Ohio, as designing
engineer for two years. He next entered the Schenectady Locomotive Works as a
member of the engineering staff and continued in that position for two years, after
which he resigned and accepted a position with Charles C. Moore & Company, of
San Francisco, California, on power plant designing, with which he was thus con-
nected for two years. In July, 1906, he came to Denver, after the earthquake and
fire, and organized The Western Engineering Specialties Company, which under his



72 HISTORY OF COLORADO

guidance has developed into a prosperous industry. They are general agents for tht
T. L. Smith concrete mixers, Telsmith gyratory crushers, Byers hoisting engines,
Byers auto-cranes, Erie City Iron Works engines, Kimball elevators. Hill pumping
machinery, Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company compressors and pneumatic tools, and
Parsons trench excavators and back fillers, and Elgin motor driven street sweepers.
They take large contracts for mining machinery and equipment. The business was
incorporated in 1908 with Mr. Burnite as president and treasurer.

On the 17th of December, 1902, Mr. Burnite was married to Miss Marion Craw-
ford of Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Captain Robert Crawford, U. S. N.,
who has passed away. Mr. and Mrs. Burnite have become parents of three children:
Thomas Bayard, Jr., born in Denver, January 27, 1907; Jean, in 1913; and Marion, in
1915.

Mr. Burnite is a prominent Mason. He has passed up through both routes and
has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and the Knight Templar
degree of the York Rite, and is a Shriner. He is also a member of the Denver Athletic
Club and the Lakewood Country Club, and he is a member of the Jovian Order, a
national electrical engineers' association, in which he has the title of Atlas, and is a
member of the Denver Civic and Commercial Association. His religious faith is that
of the Presbyterian church. His aid and influence are always on the side of progress
and improvement, of truth, reform and advancement. His business enterprise and
thorough reliability have constituted the foundation upon which he has builded his
success, while the sterling worth of his character has gained for him the high regard
of all with whom he has been associated.



GRANT S. PECK, M. D.



Dr. Grant S. Peck of Denver, was born in Swatara, Dauphin county, Pennsylvania,
on September 10, 1864, being the fourth son and the seventh child in a family of
eleven children born to the late John F. and Angeline Peck. The family was founded
in America by four brothers who came to the new world prior to the Revolutionary
war, one of these being the great-grandfather of Dr. Peck. During the Civil war, his
father who was also a native of the Keystone state, organized Company C, One Hundred
and Seventy-seventh Pennsylvania Infantry, of which he was chosen captain by his
company. He was with that command for three years and his military record was
one of distinction and honor. In the spring of 1865 he became a resident of southern
Michigan, settling on a farm in Berrien county where he devoted his attention to
farming and to the lumber trade. He died at this place in 1909, at the age of eighty
years. His wife prior to her marriage bore the name of Angeline Stober. She, too, is
a native of Pennsylvania and a representative of one of the old families of that state.
Mrs. Peck is still living and is yet enjoying good health, making her home in Buchanan,
Michigan, at the age of eighty-seven years.

Dr. Peck acquired his preliminary education in the public schools of Berrien
county, Michigan, and afterward attended the State Normal College at Ypsilanti,
Michigan, and the Northern Indiana Normal School, from there going to Wheaton
College at Wheaton, Illinois, for one year. The succeeding five years he was engaged
in teaching in the public schools of Michigan during the winters, providing for summer
schooling at the Northern Indiana Normal School at Valparaiso, Indiana, excepting
one year which was spent pioneering in South Dakota, holding government land.
Later, deciding to take up the medical profession, he matriculated in the University
of Michigan from which he was graduated in 1890 with the degree of M. D. Following
his graduation he settled in New Buffalo, Michigan, where he engaged in general
practice for a year. He then returned to his alma mater to become house surgeon
and assistant professor of practice and materia medica in the University of Michigan,
there remaining until 1892, when he came to Denver and was associated with Dr.
Norman G. Burnham, with offices at 708 Fourteenth street. His connection with Dr.
Burnham was maintained for seven years; he then moved his offices to 1427 Stout
street, there remaining until 1912, when he removed to his present location in the
Majestic building, specializing in the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and
throat.

He belongs to the American Medical Association, the American Institute of Homeo-
pathy, the Colorado State Homeopathic Society, the Colorado State Medical Society
and the Twentieth Century Medical Club. He is conscientious iu his practice, faithful
to the interests of his patients, and his highly developed power ranks him with the




DR. GRANT S. PECK



74 HISTORY OF COLORADO

leading physicians of Denver and the state. His own labors provided the means of
his education and his success is the merited and direct reward of his perseverance
and ability.

During the World war he held an appointment from the president as medical
examiner and member of Local Exemption Board No. 6, his associates on this board
being Mr. W. P. Horan and Mr. W. N. W. Blayney.

He also served for ten years as professor of the eye, ear, nose and throat in the
Denver Homeopathic College and was registrar of that college for two years, while
for twenty-four years he was eye, ear, nose and throat surgeon for the Denver Orphans'
Home and of the People's Tabernacle free clinic for fifteen years. He served on the
staff of the County Hospital for a number of years; is examiner for a number of the
old line life insurance companies; was at one time president of the State Homeopathic
Medical Society, the Denver Homeopathic Club and of the Twentieth Century Medical
Society.

He has pursued post graduate work at various times, taking several courses of
lectures in clinics in the New York Ophthalmic Hospital, in the New York Eye and



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 9 of 108)