subsequently, the practice of law. In 1880 he moved to Ottumwa, Iowa, where he
followed the profession until his death in 1900.
The son, Walter Scott Coen, received a public school education, and then entered
the office of his father to read law. He was admitted to the bar of Iowa in 1903 and
in several years' practice there won numerous successes in criminal cases.
Mr. Coen came to Fort Morgan, Colorado, in 1909 and has since practiced law
in that city. By strictest application to work, knowledge of jurisprudence and alert-
ness of mind, he has won successively a leading position in the bar of the city, of the
district and of the state. He now occupies a commodious suite in the Morgan County
National Bank building and is the owner of a valuable law library. He is attorney
for the Fi»st National Bank of Fort Morgan, the Weldon Valley State Bank of Wei-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 705
dona, the Goodrich State Bank of Goodrich, the Orchard State Bank of Orchard, The
Great Western Sugar Company, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company,
the Nile Irrigation District and the Weldon Valley Drainage District.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
One of his notable achievements in Colorado courts was his success on behalf of
the landowners of the Nile Irrigation District, for whom, in association with I. B.
Melville of Denver, he obtained judgment of seven hundred thousand dollars against
Henry L. Doherty & Company of New York, which now amounts to one million, four
hundred thousand dollars, and also judgment against the National Security Company
tor one hundred thousand dollars.
The fame virility and thoroughness which have brought him success as a lawyer
have marked his course in civic and social affairs, in which he is naturally a leader.
Politically he is a republican. He has served as chairman of the Morgan County
Central Committee and is a recognized republican leader in the state. He is a past
exalted ruler of the Fort Morgan Lodge of Elks, with which he has been closely identified
since coming to Colorado. He was chairman of the Legal Advisory Board of Morgan
county and also of the Four Minute Men, and his voice is ever at the command of
Mr. Ccen married Miss Mary Edith McGowan, July 24, 1906. A daughter, Alice
ELrabeth, came to them September 27. 1915. They own and occupy a cottage on
Platte avenue. Fort Morgan.
FRANCIS MARION MILLER.
Francis Marion Miller, a well known rancher living in the vicinity of Broomfield.
was born in Cooper county, Missouri, on the 27th of March, 1860, but from the age of
five years has been a resident of Colorado. Thus for more than a half century he
has lived within the borders of the state, witnessing its growth and progress as the
years have passed by. He is a son of George and Martha (Conners) Miller, who came
to Colorado in 1865. His education was accorded by the public schools of Arvada and
Ralston Corners and after attaining man's estate he engaged in cultivating a rented
farm for a few years in partnership with Benjamin F. London. In December, 1880,
he was married and in 1885 purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in the
vicinity of Broomfield since which time he has given his attention and energies to
its further cultivation and improvement. He now has an excellent farm property,
equipped with all modern accessories and conveniences, and everything about the place
is indicative of his progressive spirit and his practical methods.
On the 26th of December, 1880, Mr. Miller was married near Arvada to Miss Eliz-
abeth Kennison, a daughter of William and Martha (Clark') Kennison. Mrs. Miller
was born in England but during her girlhood days was brought to the United States.
To this marriage have been born the following named: Clark Marion, who wedded
Clementine Collins and has four children — Ralph, Frank, Arthur and Gladys; Mabel;
Martha, who is the wife of Thomas Russell and has two children, Mabel and Rose;
Mary, the wife of E. J. Brathoud; Bessie, the wife of N. J. Bell, by whom she has three
children, Esther, John N. and Dorothy E.; Sarah, who died at the age of sixteen years;
George, deceased; and Francis, who is attending school, at home.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Methodist church and Mr. Miller
is identified with the Grange. He is actuated in all that he does by a progressive
spirit that does not falter in the face of obstacles nor difficulties but regards such
more as an impetus for renewed effort on his part. What he undertakes he accom-
plishes and as the years have gone on he has made for himself a most creditable place
among the farmers of his community.
R. R. DANIELS, M. D., D. 0.
Dr. R. R. Daniels, a well known practitioner of Denver, is almost a native son of
Colorado, having lived in this state most of his life since one year of age. He was
born in Coffeyville, Kansas, August 5, 1880, his parents being Webster and Mary L.
(Kent) Daniels. The father was born in the state of Illinois, while the mother was
a native of Ohio. In the year 1879 they removed westward to Kansas, then upon the
frontier, settling near Coffeyville, where Webster Daniels engaged in farming and
stock raising. He remained in the Sunflower state, however, for only two years and
706 HISTORY OF COLORADO
then decided upon a further change. Accordingly in 1881 he continued his westward
journey as far as Denver, where he toolc up liis abode and gave liis attention to con-
tracting, remaining active in building operations in this city until summoned from
this life in 1893, when he was fifty-seven years of age. His widow has since made
her home in Denver, where she has a wide acquaintance. In the family were two
children, the brother of Dr. Daniels being W. E. Daniels, now a resident of California.
Dr. Daniels belongs to the class of the self-made men. In his early life he was a
pupil in the public and high schools of Denver and also pursued a scientific course in
tlie Denver University, in which he continued his studies for two years. His pro-
fessional education has been of the most liberal kind, his medical training being re-
ceived at the Denver and Gross College of Medicine and the College of Physicians and
Surgeons, while, to round out his education he took a course in osteopathy at the
American School of Osteopathy, at the completion of which he established himself
in the practice of this profession in Denver, where he has continued to the present
time. He is now accorded a very high professional rank, his pronounced ability hav-
ing won for him a liberal practice throughout the state and even adjoining states.
He is also a well known writer on health subjects, for eight years being the editor
of an interesting and successful little magazine known as the Hygenist, which has
a national circulation among those interested in health subjects, including physicians
of both schools.
On the 29th of June, 1909, Dr. Daniels was united In marriage to Miss Olive I.
Shell, of Cripple Creek, Colorado, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Byron G. Shell, tlie
family being among the "old timers" of Denver and Cripple Creek.
Dr. Daniels maintains an independent attitude in relation to politics, preferring
to concentrate his time, efforts and attention upon his professional duties, whigh have
constantly grown in volume and importance. He has wide knowledge of the princi-
ples of medical science as well as of osteopathy and his sound judgment, readily
determining the best method of procedure, has brought him to the front in the ranks
of those who practice the healing art. He is studying the science of health, not alone
from the standpoyit of curative agencies but of prevention as well, and is one of those
apostles of learning who believe in disseminating knowledge that physical standards
may be advanced. His ideals are high and his ability is enabling him to put these
in considerable measure into practice.
ROBERT A. BROWN.
Robert A. Brown, secretary and treasurer of the City Bank and Trust Company
of Denver, one of the strong financial concerns of the city, also has many other im-
portant business connections and his sound judgment is manifest in his control of the
different interests with which he is associated. He has voice in the management of
various financial concerns and his opinions ever carry weight in business councils,
for his judgment is sound, his discrimination keen and his enterprise unfaltering.
Colorado is proud to number him among her native sons. His birth occurred in
Durango on the 9th of July, 1882. His father, H. G. Brown, was a native of Canada
who devoted his life largely to merchandising. Removing to the west, he became a
resident of Durango and there passed away when his son Robert was but three years
of age. His wife bore the maiden name of Belle Bivens and is now living at Rico,
Robert A. Brown, their only son, pursued his education in the public schools of
Rico and Durango. supplemented by a course of study in the State Agricultural College
at Fort Collins, from which he was graduated with the Bachelor of Science degree as
a member of the class of 1901. Throughout his entire business career he has been
identified with banking. When his textbooks were put aside he entered the Denver
Savings Bank, in which he was employed for three years, and thus .received his pre-
liminary training in that field. He was afterward connected with the First National
Bank of Denver and later was made cashier of the Columbia Savings & Loan Associa-
tion, with which he remained until the organization of the City Bank and Trust Com-
pany in 1909. He acted as assistant secretary for a number of years and in 1913 was
called to his present position as secretary and treasurer. The other officers are:
W. J. Galligan. president; George McLean, vice president; and C. W. Tunnell. assist-
ant secretary. The bank is capitalized for one hundred thousand dollars and occupies
a splendid building situated at the corner of Seventeenth and Arapahoe streets. It has
a surplus and undivided profits amounting to more than fifteen thousand dollars and
ROBERT A. BROWN
708 HISTORY OF COLORADO
its deposits reach eight hundred and eleven thousand dollars. The business of the
bank has been conducted along safe and secure lines. The officers have ever recognized
the fact that the bank is most worthy of patronage that most carefully safeguards the
interests of its depositors, and its business methods at all times have been such as
would bear the closest Investigation and scrutiny. From the outset of his career Mr.
Brown has been a close student of banking and is now thoroughly familiar with the
principles that underlie the control of moneyed interests. He is a member of the Colo-
rado Bankers Association and also of the American Institute of Bankers. However,
he has not confined his efl'orts and attention to the City Bank and Trust Company alone,
but he has become officially and financially interested in various other business con-
cerns. He is now a director of the El Dorado Springs Company, is a director of the
Western National Life Insurance Company, a director of the Crawford Finance Com-
pany and also of the National Alfalfa Products Company.
In 1903 Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Mabel Woods, of Fort Collins,
a daughter of C. T. Woods, a prominent cattleman of that place. They have become the
parents of two children: Robert Douglas, thirteen years of age; now in school; and
Reba Belle, a little maiden of six summers.
The parents are members of the Christian Science church and Mr. Brown turns
for recreation to football and baseball, greatly enjoying both games. He never allows
outside interests to interfere with the faithful performance of his duties and the methods
which he has employed in the attainment of his success awaken approval and admira-
tion, for the world pays its tribute to him who through enterprise, unrelaxing effort
and clear-sighted judgment makes advancement in the business world without infring-
ing on the rights of others.
DUNCAN EDWARD HARRISON.
Duncan Edward Harrison is engaged in the drug business at Golden, Colorado,
but his connection with the state dates back to an early mining period and for fifteen
years he engaged in prospecting. He comes to Colorado from Cornwall, Canada. His
parents were John and Annie (Mcintosh) Harrison. The father was born in London
and was a paymaster of the British army in Canada. The mother was born in Scot-
land and was of the Catholic faith, while Mr. Harrison adhered to the Episcopal
Duncan E. Harrison of this review attended school in Cornwall, Canada, his boy-
hood home being on the St. Lawrence river. His textbooks were put aside, however,
when he was about thirteen years of age. after which he worked at the tailor's trade
with his brother for about three months and later was with another brother in the
tanning business, continuing in that position for two years. He next learned the
carpenter's trade in Potsdam, New York, and after thoroughly acquainting himself
with the business started for Canada and for six months remained a resident of
Toronto. He then once more crossed the border into the United States and for a
time was at Michigan City, Indiana, while subsequently he spent a brief period at
Dubuque, Iowa. He later located in McGregor, Iowa, then known as McGregor's Land-
ing, where he followed the carpenter's trade until starting for the west With the
coming of the Pike's Peak excitement, in 1S59, he began the long trip westward,
making the journey over the famous trail by wagon. He met many discouraged
prospectors returning to their homes and advising others to turn back. He was not
disheartened, however, finally meeting and talking personally with Horace Greeley,
who was then returning from a trip of inspection of ihe wonderful country and who
advised the travelers to continue on their journey. Mr. Harrison did so, passing
through Golden in July, 1859. This was but an incident of the journey, however,
since his objective was the gold field further on in the mountains. He continued on
to Central City, the early camp of those days, and there began prospecting, opening
up one of the very first claims on Lake Gulch. With the advent of the winter he
returned to Golden, making his way on foot down the trail, carrying his pack and pros-
pecting tools, as did all others at that time. Arriving in Golden, he purchased from a
Mr. Whitamore the property upon which his store now stands, and there he built a
log cabin in which he made his home, working at the carpenter's trade during the
winter and resuming his prospecting with the coming of the spring. In the meantime
his wife, who had remained behind at McGregor, had arrived, having made the trip
overland, as did her husband, and eventually taking up her abode in the little log
cabin, one of the earliest habitations in Golden. As the years went by and Mr. Harrison
HISTORY OF COLORADO 709
prospered, he built upon the lots originally purchased by him the business block of
three stores which still stands, one of which is now occupied by his drug store. He
also built a handsome and commodious residence which is now his home, the carpenter
work on all of these buildings being performed by himself. He has therefore been
one of the real builders of Golden in a constructive as well as in a figurative sense.
He was identified with building operations in this locality until about 1890, when
he purchased a stock of drugs and opened the store which he has since conducted.
He now has one of the leading commercial establishments of Golden, carrying a large
stock of drugs and druggists" sundries, and he is accorded a liberal patronage.
In the Cataract House at Niagara Falls, New York, on the 30th of August, 1S54,
Mr Harrison was united in marriage to Miss Mary B. Miles and they became parents
of five sons, namely: George Rawlin, Edward Eugene. Harry M. and John R., all of
whom are deceased; and Louis B., who is a graduate of the Colorado School of Mines
at Golden and is now following the engineering profession. The wife and mother
was called to her final rest some years ago.
In politics Mr. Harrison has always been a stalwart democrat since becoming a
naturalized American citizen and he served as one of the first county commissioners
of Jefferson county, proving a capable ofl^cial in that position. Fraternally he is
connected with the Masons, having membership in Golden Lodge, No. 1, A. F.
& A. M., of which he is a past master. He has always been a worthy follower
of the craft, loyally adhering to its teachings and exemplifying its tenets in his
relations with his fellowmen. He is a member of the Association of Colorado Pioneers,
the Jefferson County Pioneer Society and Masonic Veterans, Pacific Coast. He is
highly esteemed in the community in which he has so long resided and is one
of the real pioneers who have lived to witness the transformation of the visions of the
yesterday into the realities of today.
VERNER ZEVOLA REED.
Verner Zevola Reed, prominently known among Colorado's men of letters and as
a Denver capitalist, was born in Richland county. Ohio, on the 13th of October, 1863,
a son of Hugh Fulton and Elizabeth Amanda (Wolfe) Reed. He began his education
in country and village schools and for two terms was a student in the Eastern Iowa
Normal School. As the years passed he more and more largely extended his business
connections until he became a prominent figure in mining circles, in the banking
business, in connection with petroleum manufacturing, ranching, land reclamation
and irrigation projects in Colorado, Wyoming and other western states. Readily dis-
criminating between the essential and the non-essential in all business affairs, his
investments were so placed and his efforts so directed that most substantial results
accrued and at the same time his labors contributed to the development and upbuild-
ing of the various sections in which he operated as well as to the promotion of his
Mr. Reed was married on the ISth of July, 1893, to Miss Mary Dean Johnson, of
Bucyrus, Ohio. For fifteen years he spent the greater part of his time abroad and
he has also made extensive study of the American Indian myths and folk lore, espe-
cially among the Utes and some of the Pueblo tribes. He was one of the first to make
an automobile tour to the Sahara desert. His time in recent years has largely been
devoted to writing. He is the author of Lo-To-Kah. published iiv 1897; Tales of the
Sunland, also published in 1897; Adobeland Stories, in 1899; and The Soul of Paris,
in 1913. He has been a frequent contributor of essays, editorials, stories and ethno-
logical studies to various magazines and newspapers and is frequently heard as a
lecturer before clubs, colleges and societies on international politics and kindred sub-
jects. He has been a close student of men and events from prehistoric days down to
the present time of world crisis, his careful analysis bringing to light the close rela-
tion of cause and effect. He lives in Denver, Colorado, with a summer residence called
The Home Ranch at Sheridan, Wyoming. He belongs to the Athletic, Country and
Denver Clubs of Denver; the Golf and El Paso Clubs of Colorado Springs; and the
Explorers and Rocky Mountain Clubs of New York.
Mr. Reed was appointed by President Wilson as a member of the president's medi-
ation commission on September 29, 1917, the Hon. W. B. WMlson, secretary of labor,
being the chairman of this commission. The above commission was appointed for the
purpose of inquiring into the industrial conditions in the mountain region and on
the Pacific coast and to mediate or conciliate various labor difficulties existing at that
710 HISTORY OF COLORADO
time. Mr. Reed took a very prominent part in tlie settlement of the copper strike then
existing in Arizona, where many thousands of men were affected, in the then threat-
ened strike of telephone and telegraphic workers on the Pacific coast, in the averting
of a strike among the workers in the oil fields of southern California and in the set-
tlement of a strike of the oil workers then existing in the Gulf Coast and Louisiana
territory. In every controversy in which Mr. Reed took part a settlement was made.
MARY WARNER MacMANUS. M. D.
Dr. Mary Warner MacManus, engaged in the practice of medicine in Denver since
1909, specializing in the treatment of women's and children's diseases, was born at
Cohoes, New York, on the 24th of October, 1862. Her father, William Warner, was a
native of England and came to the United States when twenty years of age. He settled
in Connecticut, where lie was engaged in the manufacture of underwear for some time.
He afterward removed to New York, however, and his last days were passed in Amster-
dam, that state, where he departed this life at the age of fifty-six years. He married
Margaret Moran. who was born in Ireland and died in 1913, at the age of eighty years.
In their family were six children, of whom two died in infancy, while one son passed
away at the age of sixteen years.
Dr. MacManus acquired her early education in a private academy at Cohoes, New
York, from which she was graduated as a member of the class of 1877. In 1880 she
became a resident of Amsterdam, New York, and in 1900 took up her abode in Denver.
She studied medicine in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, a homeopathic institu-
tion, and was graduated with the M. D. degree as a member of the class of 1909. She
then entered at once upon active practice and has specialized in the treatment of the
diseases of women and children, in which she has displayed marked skill. Anything
that tends to bring to man the key to the complex mystery which we call life is of
interest to her and her reading has been broad, keeping her in touch with the latest scien-
tific research work and the most advanced discoveries of the profession. She is a member
of the Colorado Medical Society and also of the American Institute of Homeopathy.
In 1887 Mary Warner became the wife of James J. MacManus and to them were
born three children, but all have passed away. Dr. MacManus is identified with the
Independent Order of Foresters and she is of the Roman Catholic faith. Her political
allegiance is given to the republican party. Her time and attention are mostly concen-
trated upon her professional duties, which she discharges in a most conscientious manner.
JOHN W. MONTGOMERY.
John W. Montgomery, busily engaged in farming and stock raising in
county, was born in Kentucky on the 27th of January, 1849, his parents being Alfred
and Nancy (Thompson) Montgomery, who were also natives of the Blue Grass state.
In 1S51 they removed to Illinois, settling in Warren county, where they continued to
make their home until death called them. They reared a family of nine children,
seven of whom are yet living.
John W. Montgomery spent his youthful days in Warren county, Illinois, dividing
his time between farm work and attendance at the public schools. In 1872 he went
to Kansas, then a young man of twenty-three years, and in 1874 he removed to Jasper
county. Iowa, where he engaged in farming for four years. On the expiration of that
period he returned to southeastern Kansas, where he again engaged in farming for
six years, and in 1883 he arrived in Colorado. The following year he purchased the
farm upon which he new resides. He at once took up his abode upon the place and
is the owner of an eighty acre tract of rich and productive land, all under ditch. His
farm is well improved and the neat and thrifty appearance of his place is indicative
of his progressive spirit and practical methods.
In 1880 Mr. Montgomery was united in marriage to Miss Augusta J. Faulkner, a
native of Kansas, and to them have been born eleven children: Harry G. ; George W.,
who died in infancy; Arthur L. ; Charles W., now living in California; James A.;
Warren C, who is with the United States army; Louis E.; Estella G.; Bertha A., who
is married; John W.. who is in the United States navy; and Maud A., who completes
Mr. Montgomery has also had military experience and is entitled to wear the
HISTORY OF COLORADO 711
little bronze button which proclaims him a veteran of the Civil war, for he served
for one year with the Union army, enlisting as a member of Company E, One Hun-
dred and Thirty-eighth Illinois Infantry, while subsequently he became a member of
Company H, Eleventh Illinois Cavalry. He thus proved his loyalty to his country, to
which he rendered valuable service by the faithful performance of every duty allotted
Mr. Montgomery gives his political allegiance to the republican party but has