never sought or desired political office. He has served, however, as an official in con-
nection with the schools, acting as director for a considerable period and now as
president of the school board. His wife is a member of the Baptist church and both
are held in high esteem in the community in which they make their home. Mr. Mont-
gomery is truly a self-made man in the best sense of the term. He has depended en-
tirely upon his own resources since starting out in the business world, working his
way steadily upward through indefatigable energy and perseverance. His persistency
of purpose has at length won him a substantial measure of success and he is accounted
one of the representative farmers of Jefferson county.
Boulder county is fortunate in having among its agriculturists men who have
ever been characterized by progressiveness and thoroughness. Therefore great pros-
perity has come to this section of the state for this very reason and among those who
have contributed to that prosperity while attaining individual success is James Gould,
who has a valuable farm one mile northwest of Niwot. Mr. Gould is a native of this
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
state, having been born in the county in which he still resides May 9, 1876, a son of
honored Colorado pioneers, J. F. and Amy (Foster) Gould, of whom extended mention
is made on other pages of this work.
James Gould was reared under the parental roof and in the acquirement of his
education he attended the country schools of Boulder county, remaining upon the
home place with his parents until he became of age. At that time he decided to start
out independently and rented his present place from his father for several years. Tak-
ing advantage of all modern ideas and methods, his labors resulted In good crops and
he was soon enabled to acquire title to the property. He now has one hundred and
fifty acres, all of which is under a high state of cultivation. This he has owned since
his marriage, which took place in 1903.
On the 8th of September, 1903, Mr. Gould married Miss Bertha Paulus. a daughter
of Albert A. and Alice (Rawles) Paulus, natives of Indiana. To Mr. and Mrs. Gould
were born three children, of whom two died in infancy, the remaining son being Evan
P., born March 12, 1910.
Mr. Gould is a stockholder in the Farmers Union Mill of Longmont and fraternally
a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. In his business methods Mr. Gould
has ever followed the highest standards and his reliability and trustworthiness have
made him an exemplary citizen, who through his labors has contributed largely to
growth and development in Boulder county.
Adam Ginther, who is engaged in farming and stock raising in Adams county,
was born near Odessa, Russia, February 20, 1862, a son of Adam and Katie (Coppen-
stine) Ginther. In 1888 the parents came to America, settling in Weld county, Colorado,
where they took up their abode upon a farm. The father died January 5. 1892. and
the mother is still living at the ripe age of eighty years. In their family were eleven
children, nine of whom survive.
Adam Ginther was reared and educated in Russia and in 1889 crossed the Atlantic
to the new world, at which time he, too, became a resident of this state. For four
years he worked in Denver, but ambitious to engage in business on his own account,
he then rented a farm, upon which he lived for eight years. During that period he
carefully saved his earnings until his industry and economy had brought him a suffi-
cient sum to enable him to purchase the farm upon which he now resides, comprising
the east half of section 30, town 1, range 67 west, in Adams county. He now has one
of the finest improved farms of this section of the state. It is equipped with splendid
MRS. ADAM GINTHER
1/ • '• '
^ H ^
' fi £#"
' ■ ■
LIEUTENANT ADAM GINTHER
716 HISTORY OF COLORADO
buildings and the best farm macliinery and everything about the place is indicative of
the careful supervision and progressive methods of the owner. To his original pur-
chase he has added from time to time until he now owns six hundred and forty acres
of valuable land, of which one-half is under ditch. He carries on general farming,
raising good crops of various kinds, and his labors are indicative of what can be
accomplished through individual effort and perseverance.
On the 7th of August. 1S93. Mr. Ginther was married to Hiss Fannie Bell, who was
born in England, a daughter of William and Mary (Gibson) Bell, who were also natives
of that country. They came to America in 18S0, first settling at Des Moines, Iowa,
where they lived for six years. They then removed to Colorado and the mother is
still living in this state, but the father has passed away. Their family numbered
ten children, five of whom survive. Mr. and Mrs. Ginther became the parents of
seven children; Eva, who is the wife of Edwin Satt; Louise, who is pursuing a
course in nursing at the State University in Boulder; Sarah, who is pursuing a medical
course in the State University at Boulder; Benjamin, attending the high school;
also a student in the Denver high school; Ruth, at home; and Adam, who has
Before coming to America, Mr. Ginther served for five years in the Russian army
as a member of the Forty-sixth Regiment of Marines. By diligent application to his
duties, and fidelity to the service, he won successive promotions until he had attained
the rank of lieutenant, winning these promotions by creditably passing three severe
government examinations. During his service he sailed the Black Sea, and also
visited most of the important ports in European waters.
The religious faith of Mr. Ginther is that of the Lutheran church, while his wife
is a member of the Seventh Day Adventist church. His political endorsement is
given to the republican party. He has never been an office seeker but has been a
member of the school board for five years. For fifteen years he has served as presi-
dent of the Lelatta Ditch & Reservoir Company, and is thoroughly familiar with all
phases of irrigation, having taken an active and prominent part in its development
in Colorado. His has been an active life and his determination to win success has
resulted in the close application and energy which have made him the owner of an
excellent farm property in Adams county.
JOHN G. HUDSON.
The office of clerk of the district court of Washington county, Colorado, is in good
hands, for it is administered by John G. Hudson, who is well qualified for the posi-
tion and in the discharge of his duties has earned the appreciation of the court as
well as the public. He keeps his records and files in excellent condition and has intro-
duced into the office a system and order which greatly facilitate and expedite the cases
which come before the court. He was born in Rochester, Oakland county. Michigan,
May 3, 1S59, his parents being Dr. John K. and Amanda (Green) Hudson, natives
of the Empire state. The father was a physician and went to Michigan at an early
day. In that state he practiced medicine during the balance of his life, passing away
in 1865. His widow survived him for more than thirty years, her death occurring in
Mr. Hudson of this review was reared in Michigan, where he acquired his educa-
tion. In 1876, when sixteen years of age, he came to Colorado, being identified with
civil engineering in connection with railroad work. For five years he was with the old
South Park Railroad, now the Colorado Southern, and during this time was actively
engaged in work on the great Alpine tunnel. He then assisted in building the Oregon
Short Line, being so employed for three years, at the end of which period he went to
Kansas and from there returned to Michigan. The year 1885 marked his arrival in
Akron, Washington county, Colorado, and here he engaged in the painting and decorat-
ing business and also in contracting, being so occupied for ten years. In 1895 he
bought out an abstract business and the same year was elected to the office of county
clerk, serving for six years in that capacity and earning the high encomiums of the
public by the faithful discharge of his duties. He conducted the abstract business at
the same time and has continued the business ever since. For several years Mr. Hudson
also served as town clerk and at this writing he is completing his sixteenth year as
clerk of the district court, his continuance in the office proving his reliability, faith-
fulness and ability. For twelve years he served under Judge Burke. Recently Mr.
Hudson proved up on three hundred and twenty acres of land fourteen miles north-
HISTORY OF COLORADO 717
west of Akron. In connection with his office it may be mentioned that homesteaders
may make proof before the clerk of the district court and Mr. Hudson has made over
nine hundred proofs on half sections in the past six years. It is therefore but natural
that he is known by practically every agriculturist of the county and by almost all
other residents and all speak of him in the highest terms of approval.
In September, 1892. Mr. Hudson was united in marriage to Burtie B. Ball and
to this union four children have been born: John G., Jr., a machinist by trade, who
is twenty-four years of age and resides in Denver; Gilbert R., aged twenty-one, who
is taking the radio course in the United States army and is training at Lincoln, Ne-
braska; Leo F., at Fort Collins, Colorado, who is eighteen years of age; and Myrtle,
aged fourteen, yet at home.
Politically Mr. Hudson is a republican and has always been faithful to his party.
His religious belief is that of the Presbyterian church. He stands high in Masonic
circles, being a member of the blue lodge and chapter of Akron, the Knights Templar
at Fort Morgan and a member of the Mystic Shrine in Denver. Many have been the
compliments paid Mr. Hudson on his efficiency as an official and because of his loyalty
as a public-spirited American citizen, hut he must tind the greatest satisfaction in
the knowledge — a fact really conceded by everyone else — that he has discharged the
duties of every official position he has held to the best of his ability. He cooperates
in public movements readily and is ever desirous of promoting the welfare of his
fellow citizens, for he takes great pride in the growth of Washington county and Akron.
JOHN D. STEELE.
A representative of the successful agriculturists of the west is John D. Steele, of
Niwot. Boulder county, this state, a successful farmer and live stock man. A native
of Wisconsin, he was born April 2, 1865, his parents being Edward P. and Phoebe A.
(Evans) Steele. The mother was born in Pennsylvania and the father in New York
and both removed in early life to Wisconsin, in which state they were married. In
the year of the great rush to Pike's Peak — 1S59 — Edward P. Steele came to Colorado
and took up a homestead in Boulder county, whereon he built a log cabin, there resid-
ing until 1S64. After improving his place to a certain extent he returned to Wiscon-
sin in order to bring his family to the western frontier. The return trip to this state
across the plains was made by ox teams and four months were consumed in making
the journey. Three weeks after he and his family arrived here Mr. Steele suddenly
died. His wife is still living, making her home with our subject, and is now eighty-
four years of age. She became the mother of three children, all of whom survive.
John D. Steele of this review, who was born shortly before the western trip was
undertaken, was reared and educated in Colorado and after laying aside his school-
books engaged in farming and stock raising, being quite successful along those lines.
During the last ten years he has also operated a threshing outfit. He now owns five
hundred and sixty acres of valuable land in Boulder county, upon which he has made
many improvements, his ranch representing a lite of industry, perseverance and care-
ful application to local farming conditions. Mr. Steele has ever followed progressive
methods and through the development of his farm has largely contribut'?d toward
the improvement of his section of the state.
In 1887, at the age of twenty-two years, Mr. Steele was united in marriage to
Miss Blanche E. Bliven, a native daughter of Colorado. Her parents were Andrew J.
and Sarah (Hempstead) Bliven, who were born in Connecticut and came to this state
in 1S68. Both are now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Steele were born eight children,
of whom Merle, the first born, is deceased. The others are, in order of birth: Phoebe,
the wife of Roy Green; and Andrew, Douglas, Evart, Alice, Ray and Jessie, all at
home. Mr. and Mrs. Steele have many friends in the neighborhood in which they
reside, all of whom recognize in them a worthy couple of sterling character.
Mr. Steele is quite prominent in fraternal circles, being a member of Lodge No.
154 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also belonging to the lodge of the
Modern Woodmen of America. He is likewise a valued member of the Grange. In his
political affiliations he is a republican, steadfastly upholding the candidates of that
party in national and state issues. Although thoroughly versed in the questions and
issues of the day Mr. Steele has never actively participated in politics, preferring
to give his undivided attention to his farming pursuits. The cause of education,
however, has found in him a vigorous supporter and for a number of years he has
served on the school board of his district, doing everything in his power in order to
718 HISTORY OF COLORADO
imp'-ove educational facilities in Boulder county. There is great credit due him for
what he has achieved as he started out in life empty-handed and is now numbered
amcng the prosperous and well-to-do agriculturists of Boulder county.
ROBERT M. WORK.
Robert M. Work, district attorney of Fort Morgan, was born at Rochester Mills,
Pennsylvania. June 17. 1S78, his parents being Josiah and Sarah (Hindman) Work,
who were also natives of the Keystone state. The father there engaged in the lumber
business and later was active in irrigation work. He followed the lumber trade, how-
ever, in Pennsylvania until 1898, when he came to Colorado and established his home
in Greeley, where he lived for a time and then removed to Fort Morgan. He became
interested in irrigation projects and was president of several of the big irrigation
companies of northern and eastern Colorado. He bought two thousand acres of land
in Morgan county and was numbered among the wealthy and prominent residents of
his section of the state, putting all of his funds into irrigation projects and thereby
contributing in substantial manner to the development, upbuilding and consequent
prosperity of the region. He continued to reside in Fort Morgan throughout his
remaining days and passed away in December, 1909. During the Civil war he was one
of the reserves and drilled at camp but was not called upon for active duty. His
wife passed away in March, 1885.
Robert M. Work was reared and educated in Pennsylvania, attending the com-
mon and preparatory schools, after which he entered Westminster College. Subse-
quently he taught school for three years and then sought the opportunities of the
west. In 1901 he arrived in Colorado and in 1903 he won the Bachelor's degree
upon graduation from Colorado College at Colorado Springs, while the following year
the Master's degree was conferred upon him. After completing his more specifically
literary course he took up the study of law in Denver, where he pursued his reading
for a year and then completed his preparation for the bar as a law student in the
office of Stuart & Murray. In 1907 he was admitted to the bar and by reason of the
fact that Mr. Murray was ill and away from business Mr. Work remained for a year
in the office as Mr. Stuart's assistant under the firm name of Stuart, Murray & Work.
On the expiration of that period he came to Fort Morgan and formed a partnership
with L. C. Stephenson under the firm style of Stephenson & Work. This association
was maintained until 1911, when Mr. Work began practicing alone and so continued
until April, 1916. when he was joined in a partnership by George C. Twombly, now
serving as deputy district attorney. The firm name is Work & Twombly. They have
made for themselves a most creditable position in legal circles in Morgan county and
they have been entrusted with much important litigation. Mr. Work served as deputy
district attorney from 1909 until 1911 under Mr. Stephenson and did much of the
criminal work in the six counties for two years. He was named at the primaries in
1912 as the republican candidate for district attorney but met defeat at that election.
He was again the republican candidate in 1916 and popular suffrage placed him in the
position which he is now acceptably and capably filling. He was also called to public
office in 1909, when he became a member of the city council. For the past seven years
he has served as attorney for the Bijou Irrigation District and has otherwise been the
legal representative of other irrigation projects and corporations, including the Morgan
County National Bank. He is the owner of two thousand acres of excellent land in
Morgan county, eight hundred of which is improved irrigated land. He is largely
interested in the raising of Hereford cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs and has two hundred
and fifty head of each. He feeds cattle in the winter months and everything that he
has undertaken in the way of agricultural or stock raising activity has proven success-
ful. At the same time he has made for himself a most enviable position as a representa-
tive of the bar and he is now attorney and agent for large eastern land owners.
The underfaking which has distinguished Mr. Work in this vicinity was the success-
ful refinancing of the Bijou irrigation system, which involved the refunding of some
eight hundred and thirty thousand dollars in bonds and the passage of legislation pro-
viding a workable refunding act, which takes away from the irrigation district the
burden and the stigma which has brought so many irrigation districts in western
states to financial ruin. Their bondholders were induced to accept refunding bonds,
which are clearly special assessment bonds, so that any land owner at any time may
pay off his share of bonded indebtedness and be released from all other bonds. This
was the first district in the west to take advantage of such a course and many other
^^^^^^m'^ ■ - ^^^ ^1^1
Ms^" 1 ^
ROBERT M. WORK
720 HISTORY OF COLORADO
districts are now following the same procedure. The deal involved two years of negotia-
tions with a committee of bankers and attorneys from five different eastern states,
representing bondholders, with headquarters at Chicago, and the plan was finally con-
summated in November, 1917. Mr. Work has closely studied irrigation problems and
opportunities and is convinced of the value of building irrigation ditches in order that
the arid lands of Colorado may be transformed into productive fields, a fact which is
easily accomplished when water can be secured. His work in this connection has been
of the greatest possible public value, a fact now widely acknowledged.
On the 9th of June, 1909, Mr. Work was united in marriage to Miss Roberta Gib-
son and to them have been born four children: Robert Marshall, .Jr., who was born April
23, 1910; Raymond Phidelah, born July 27, 1911; Emma Gibson, born January 2, 1913;
and James Richard, born September 20. 1918.
Mr. Work is well known in Masonic circles, belonging to Oasis Lodge, No. 67, A. F.
& A. M.; to Fort Morgan Chapter, R. A M.; and Colorado Consistory, No. 1, S. P. R. S..
in which he has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He also belongs
to the United Presbyterian church and in these associations are found the rules which
have governed his conduct and shaped his relations with his fellowmen. His life work
has been far-reaching in its influences and results, and his record is one of much
benefit to the community in which he lives by reason of what he has accomplished in
connection with the irrigation project and also by reason of the excellent things that
he has done as a member of the bar. He is now carefully safeguarding the interests
of his district as its attorney and his work shows that he is well qualified to cope with
intricate and involved legal problems.
Harpin Davis, who passed away on the 10th of July, 1915, was one of Colorado's
pioneer settlers. He arrived in the state in 1863 and about a year later took up his
abode upon the farm on which he continued to reside until called to his final rest.
He made purchase of a tract of wild land about eight miles east of Golden and with
characteristic energy began its development and improvement, converting it into one
of the excellent ranch properties of the district. At all times and in every relation
of life he measured up to high standards of manhood and citizenship.
Mr. Davis was a native son of New England. His birth occurred in New Haven
county, Connecticut, February 24, 1825, his father being Anson Davis, who was born
in Oxford, Connecticut, in 1784. The father spent the greater part of his life upon
a farm and was a well educated man who successfully taught school for several years
in early manhood. He was called upon to fill various positions of honor and trust in
the community in which he lived and he passed away respected by all who knew him
in the year 1S68. In early manhood he wedded Sally Pruden and they became the
parents of ten children.
Harpin Davis spent his youthful days upon the old homestead to the age of fifteen
years, when desirous of learning something of the world and wishing to start in busi-
ness on his own account, he started to Philadelphia. However, he left the boat at
Burlington, twenty miles from that city, and secured employment in driving horses
along the canal. He did not enjoy that occupation, however, and for a year there-
after was employed at farm labor. He then shipped aboard a coasting schooner and
afterward became a member of the crew of a full-rigged vessel which was engaged in
the West India trade. He spent a number of years at sea and was promoted to the
rank of mate on his ship. At the age of twenty-two, however, he returned to his old
home and there took up the business of contracting in brick and stone work. He
also taught a few terms of school and proved a capable educator, imparting readily
and clearly to others the knowledge that he had acquired.
Mr. Davis became identified with the west in 1854, at which time he went to
California, thinking to make that state his permanent abode. The family, however,
did not desire to live so far west and the same year he returned eastward as far
as Davenport, Iowa, where he engaged in masonry work and also established and
conducted a lumberyard. In the fall of 1856 he removed to Florence, Nebraska, now
a part of Omaha, and for one term taught school there, after which he engaged in the
sawmill and lumber business. The year 1863 witnessed his arrival in Colorado and
after passing a year in Central City he removed to the vicinity of the farm upon which
he so long resided. It was about 1865 that he purchased this place, which is situated
about eight miles east "of Golden, and for many years thereafter he concentrated his
HISTORY OF COLORADO 721
efforts and attention upon its cultivation and development. He added many substantial
improvements, making it one of the attractive features of the landscape, with its growing
crops, its well kept buildings and its many indications of the progressive spirit of
On the 31st of March, 1850, Mr. Davis was united in marriage to Miss Mary A.
Chatfieia, a daughter of Enos Chatfleld. of Oxford, Connecticut, and a descendant of
George Chatfield, a native of England, who came to the new world in 1639, thus found-
ing the family in America during early colonial days. He made the trip in company
with his brothers. Thomas and Francis, who were members of the party conducted
by the Rev. Henry Whitfield and made a settlement at Guilford, Connecticut. George
Chatfield afterward lived in Killingsworth, Connecticut, until -called to his final rest.
Representatives of the family served as soldiers of the American army in the Revo-
lutionary war. Mr. and Mrs. Davis became the parents of four children. Charles H.