is managing a part of the home farm. Ella M. is the wife of Mason Seavey, a cap-
italist of Denver. Hattie C. is now Mrs. Mathison, of Arvada, and is a noted horse-
woman. She was also one of the founders of Craig Colony, a large free tubercular
sanitarium. She has one son. Earl F. Walker is a member of Company G of the
Three Hundred and Fifty-fourth Infantry of the Eighty-ninth Division. A. E. F.
Arthur L.. the youngest of the family, is a graduate of the Gross Medical College of
Denver and for two and one-halt years was head physician in St. Anthony's Hospital.
He is now engaged in the practice of his profession in Central City, where he has won
Mr. Davis belonged to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and to Morning Star
Lodge. No. 47. A. F. & A. M. He was always loyal to the teachings and purposes
of these organizations and his life was ever upright and honorable, commending him
to the confidence and goodwill of all. There were no spectacular phases in his career.
He did not seek to figure prominently in any public light but concentrated his efforts
and attention upon his business affairs and by reason of his close application, sound
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
judgment and unfaltering enterprise he won a substantial measure of success.
PROFESSOR JOHN BERNARD EKELEY.
Professor John Bernard Ekeley, state chemist and head of the department of chem-
istry in the University of Colorado at Boulder, was born in Orebro, Sweden, on the
1st of January, 1869. His father, John Ekeley, also a native of that country, was born
in 1843 and came to America in 1870, at which lime he settled in Omaha, Nebraska.
In 1878 he removed to Wahoo. Nebraska, and was there engaged in merchandising
until 1890. In the latter year he became a resident of Stromsburg. Nebraska, where
he retired from active business and still makes his home. His wife passed away in
Omaha in 1874.
Professor Ekeley of this review was but three years old when brought by his
mother to the new world and the days of his boyhood and youth were passed in Ne-
braska. After attending the public schools of Wahoo until 1885. in which year he was
graduated from the high school of that city, he entered Colgate Academy at Hamilton,
New York, and completed his course in that institution in 1887. He next entered Col-
gate University at Hamilton and was graduated therefrom in 1891 with the degree of
Bachelor of Arts. Two years later Colgate University conferred upon him the Master
of Arts degree In 1900 he went to Germany, where he studied at the University of
Freiburg in Baden and in 1902 he received the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, while
in 1911 Colgate University conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Sci-
ence. In 1909 and 1910 he was a student in the University of Berlin and at the Sor-
bonne of Paris. In the meantime, however, he entered upon the line of activity that
has largely constituted his life work. From 1891 until 1893 he was instructor in chem-
istry in Colgate University at Hamilton. New York, and then accepted the position of
science master at St. Paul's School in Garden City, Long Island, where he remained
until 1900. It was subsequent to this lime that he went abroad for further study.
Since 1902 he has been head of the department of chemistry of the State University
of Boulder. Colorado, and since 1911 has occupied the position of state chemist. He
also has other interests, being a member of the Black Metal Reduction Company of
Boulder, and is a co-inventor of the process used by that company in extracting tung-
sten from low grade tungsten ores.
On the 18th of July, 1894, in Hamilton. New York, Professor Ekeley was married
to Miss Adelaide Evelyn Hobbs, a daughter of the late Thomas Hobbs. He is identi-
722 HISTORY OF COLORADO
fled with various college fraternities, including Delta Kappa Epsilon, Phi Beta Kappa,
Sigma Xi, Theta Nu Epsilon, and Alpha Chi Sigma. He is a fellow of the American
Association for the Advancement of Science, a member of the American Chemical
Society. American Electrochemical Society. Colorado Scientific Society, and is the
author of A Laboratory Manual of Inorganic Chemistry, John Wiley and Sons, 1912,
and also the author of various research articles on chemical subjects in American
and European chemical journals.
FRANCIS J. HILDEBRAND.
Francis J. Hildebrand is the owner of an extensive ranch property in Jefferson
county which he is successfully cultivating in addition to raising stock. Actuated by
a spirit of enterprise and progress, he carries forward to successful completion what-
ever he undertakes and his life record is an interesting one, for it is the story of
earnest endeavor crowned with success.
Mr. Hildebrand was born August 22, 1S71, on the ranch which is still his home,
his parents being Frank and Elizabeth Hildebrand, who were natives of Germany and
came to America in their youth. During the gold excitement at Pike's Peak the father
started west across the plains with an ox team in 1859. He first settled on land in the
Platte river bottom, just north of Denver, near the mouth of Clear creek, but the
floods of 1864 ruined his crops and he sold out. He then engaged in freighting between
Denver and Cheyenne and also worked in the placer mines in the Georgetown district.
During those early days he had many encounters with the Indians but bravely faced
all the hardships, privations and dangers of pioneer life and lived to see remarkable
changes as the work of progress and civilization was carried forward. In 1866 he
settled on land in the beautiful valley of Deer creek, seven miles southwest of Little-
ton, in Jefferson county, and his wife joined him soon afterward. They contributed
their full part to the work of general improvement and development and continued
residents of the county until called to the home beyond. In their family were two
children, Francis J. and Albert.
Both sons spent their youthful days under the parental roof, attending the com-
mon schools near their home, and after reaching manhood took charge of the farm,
which they further developed and improved. They engaged extensively in the stock
business and owned twenty-five hundred acres of land, of which two hundred acres
is under ditch. On the irrigated tract they raised large crops, utilized in considerable
measure for feeding purposes. They had high grades of cattle and their business,
wisely and carefully directed, brought to tliem a very gratifying measure of success.
In 1902, however Albert Hildebrand withdrew from the firm and removed to the Ohio
Creek valley in Gunnison county, where he is today one of the prominent cattlemen.
Francis J. Hildebrand of this review still continues to carry on the home farm.
In 1909 Francis J. Hildebrand was married to Miss Josephine C. Shekey, of Hum-
boldt, Iowa, and to them was born a daughter, Dorothy C. The wife and mother passed
away in 1912 and was laid to rest in the cemetery at Fort Dodge. Iowa, hgr death
being a severe blow to the husband and little daughter. Mr. Hildebrand is a mem-
ber of the Catholic church. He has spent his entire life on the ranch which is yet
his home, concentrating his efforts and attention upon its further development and
improvement, and he now ranks with the representative farmers of JelTerson county.
HERMAN H. CORDES.
While more than a third of a century has passed since the death of Herman H.
Cordes, he is yet remembered by the older residents of Denver as one of the most alert
and progressive merchants and business men of his time. He was born in Bremen,
Germany, of wealthy German parents, on January 11. 1850, but at the age of two years
was brought to America by his family, whose sympathies were with the revolutionists
of 1849. Because of their sympathies with those who believed in the ideals of today-
democracy— the family lands and fortune were confiscated by the government of Ger-
many and the Cordes family, with other believers in the cause of freedom, came to
The family established themselves in Sedalia, Missouri, where Mr. Cordes received
his early education in the public schools, later attending one of the academies. He
HERMAN H. CORDES
724 HISTORY OF COLORADO
began his business career as a merchant In Sedalia, Missouri, where he was a clerk in
tlie store of Morrison Brothers. It was in the autumn of 1874 that Mr. Cordes located
in Denver to take a position with the firm of Morrison Brothers in the Denver store.
He remained with this firm for a number of years and then accepted a position with
the Daniels & Fisher Company as head of their carpet department. Mr. Cordes made
friends quickly and it was not long before he had acquired an extensive acquaintance
in Denver. As an illustration of this, twenty-five years after his death one of Phila-
delphia's financiers, while in Denver on a visit, sought out one of Mr. Cordes' friends
in order to discover where he might find Mr. Cordes or his family, as he said: "I met
Mr. Cordes but once and I have never been so impressed with a young man and pre-
dicted a great future for him." In 1878, In company with his brother-in-law, Philip
Feldhauser, he entered the carpet business under the name of Cordes & Feldhauser.
The growth of the business was both rapid and substantial and before long theirs had
become the leading house in its line in Denver. Mr. Cordes' wonderful energy and
thoroughly progressive business methods were great factors in its progress. As has
been said of him, he was a merchant ahead of his time, and but for his untimely
death, seemed destined to become Denver's merchant prince. Early in the spring of
1884 he was taken suddenly ill and on the advice of his physician went to Los Angeles,
where a change of climate it was thought might restore his health, but there his death
occurred on the 26th of April, 1884, when he was little more than thirty-three years of
It was on the 1st of August, 1875, that Mr. Cordes was married in Denver to Miss
Caroline Feldhauser and to them were born a son and two daughters, namely: Arthur,
who died at the age of two years; Mary, now the wife of Dr. Samuel Fosdick Jones,
who is now a major in the service of the United States; and Caroline M., now the wife
of Samuel Huston Thompson, a member of the Federal Trade Commission. Mr. and
Mrs. Thompson have one daughter, Caroline Huston.
Mr. Cordes was recognized as one of the best known representatives of mercantile
circles in Denver and as a citizen was of that type that meant a distinct loss to the
city when he was called to his final rest. His personal popularity was great. His
closest personal friends were men who in later years became the big men of Denver's
business and financial life. His thoughtful consideration of his employes, his many
acts of kindness and the helpful interest he took in all worthy causes needing assistance
combined to make his loss keenly felt by many outside of his own home. He was a
kind husband and indulgent father whose interest centered in his family and who found
his greatest happiness in promoting the welfare and comfort of the members of his
FRED S. HUSTON.
Fred S. Huston is prominent in, and representative of, financial interests in
■Washington county, being cashier of the First National Bank of Otis, Colorado. The
growth and development of this institution is largely due to his business ability and
his experience in the banking line. He was born in Waukee, Dallas county, Iowa, in
February, 1879. a son of John A. and Florence J. (Sloane) Huston, the father a native
of Pennsylvania and the mother of Iowa. In early life John A. Huston made removal
from his native state to Iowa, where he was engaged along mercantile lines and made
his home until 1888, when he proceeded farther- west, taking up his abode in Hyde,
Washington county, Colorado, where he gave his attention to the lumber business and
banking for several years until local conditions decided him to give up these lines and
he located on a ranch, where he engaged in the cattle business for some time. He ran
cattle and horses until 191,5. when the means which he had acquired permitted him
to retire from the active labors of life, his ranch of three sections being divided among
his sons. He now makes his home in Otis and Mrs. Huston is also living.
Fred S. Huston was reared under the parental roof and received his education
in the public schools of Des Moines, Iowa, as well as in Hyde and Otis, Colorado, having
come to this state with his parents. Up to the age of nineteen he was more or less
an invalid, but then his health improved considerably and he took up the occupation
of telegraphy and entered the employ of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad,
with which he remained for twelve years, — as agent at Otis, also as night operator and
dispatcher at Denver, and in the general offices in Omaha. Nebraska. In the fall of
1910 Mr. Huston, having carefully saved his earnings and acquired a handsome sum
with which to start in business, organized in partnership with others the Otis State
Bank, of which he became the cashier and as such was entrusted with its direction.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 725
In May, 1916, the institution was formed into a national banli under the name of the
First National Banlv. The president is M. B. Holland, while P. J. Sullivan, of Wray,
Colorado, is the vice president. The bank is capitalized for twenty-five thousand dol-
lars and its surplus now amounts to five thousand dollars, while the deposits have
reached the sum of one hundred and ninety thousand dollars. The First National Bank
erected a modern, well constructed and thoroughly protected bank building in 1916,
which has been the home of the institution ever since. In guiding the destiny of the
bank Mr. Huston has always followed conservative banking principles, protecting to
the best of his ability the interests of the depositors and stockholders, yet he is pro-
gressive and readily extends credit where funds, are needed for the extension of legiti-
mate business enterprises or in order to finance the marketing of farm crops, or live
stock deals. He has become recognized as an authority in financial matters and is
often consulted in regard to investments, as he is not only thoroughly acquainted with
the bond and stock market but also has considerable knowledge of local real estate
values. The growth of the bank and its prosperous condition must be largely ascribed
to his experience and ability and the honorable principles which have guided all his
In October, 1913, Mr. Huston married Alice M. Brandon and they have two chil-
dren: John Paul, born September 29, 1914; and Denzil F., born April 29, 1916. The
family is popular in the social circles of their community and their hospitable home
is a meeting place for their many friends, who esteem them for their high qualities
of character and heart. Their- residence is one of the finest in this section of the state,
appointed with all modern conveniences, comfortably arranged and tastefully furnished.
The religious faith of Mr. Huston is that of the Presbyterian church and his po-
litical allegiance is given to tlie republican party. He has always taken a laudable
interest in the promotion of the welfare and growth of his community and is a mem-
ber of the town council, taking active part in securing for Otis all the advantages of
a modern city. In tlie Masonic order he belongs to the various branches of the organ-
ization and the principles of brotherhood underlying the craft guide him in his con-
duct toward his fellowmen. He is still interested in the Huston Brothers' ranch and,
besides this, owns other farm property, deriving from these sources a gratifying addi-
tion to his income. Mr. Huston is a public-spirited citizen, a patriotic American and
a business man of high principles and standards and since being engaged in business
in Otis has earned the high encomiums of the public and has made many friends in
Although yet a young man Daniel Knaus has already attained a position among
the agriculturists of Boulder county which entitles him to distinction, as he has dis-
played progressive methods and ideas that have not only proved of value to him but
have demonstrated to others what can be attained through earnest labor. Mr. Knaus
has live stock interests besides following general farming, his place being located one
and three-quarters miles northeast of Niwot. A native of Boulder county, he was born
about three-quarters of a mile south of his present place, March 1, 1S90, and is a son
of Clemens and Eliza (Greub) Knaus. who are more extensively mentioned on other
pages of this work.
Daniel Knaus was reared at home and educated in the rural schools of Boulder
county, rounding out his common school course by six months' attendance at a busi-
ness college in Boulder. He ably assisted his father until he was twenty-two years of
age. thus becoming thoroughly acquainted with agricultural methods through prac-
tical labor. In 1914 his father gave to each of his sons a farm and Daniel Knaus
received one hundred acres of land, upon which property he now lives. He has made
a number of improvements since he received this property, having taken it over in
the fall of 1917. Previous to that time he was for five years manager of a creamery
at Nlwot. The buildings upon his farm are up-to-date and the equipment is modern
in every respect, thus demonstrating his progressiveness. A prosperous future may
be predicted for him, as he has already demonstrated his ability. .
In 1912, Daniel Knaus was married to Lillian Wederquist and to them have been
born three children: Muriel C, whose birth occurred on the 25th of March, 1913;
Kenneth D., born June 12, 1915; and Dallas H., June 28, 1917.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Knaus are well liked in the social circles of their neighbor-
hood and have many friends In Niwot and vicinity. Besides his farm he is a stock-
holder in the Niwot State Bank and also of the alfalfa mill there. Moreover, he is
726 HISTORY OF COLORADO
interested in the Farmers Life Insurance Company of Denver. Besides general farm-
ing he gives his attention to the raising of thoroughbred horses, specializing in Per-
cherons. He belongs to the Grange and is also a valued member of the Modern Wood-
men of America. His political persuasion is that of the democratic party and he is
■well informed upon all issues of the day, particularly in regard to his county and
locality, and is ever helpful in giving his support to movements which he believes
will be of benefit to the general public.
CHARLES G. GAMMON.
Charles G. Gammon, actively engaged in general farming and stock raising in
Boulder county, comes to Colorado from South Dakota, his native state, his birth
having there occurred on the 12th of February, 1SS8. He is therefore yet a young
man and the success which he has already achieved indicates that his future career will
be well worth watching. He is a son of William and Cora (Ellis) Gammon, the former
a native of England, while the latter was born in South Dakota. They continued resi-
dents of that state until 1898. when they removed to Colorado, establishing their home
upon a farm in Boulder county. They are still living within the borders of that
county, now making their home in Hygiene.
Charles G. Gammon, an only son, was but ten years of age when the parents
came to Colorado and his education, begun in the schools of South Dakota, was con-
tinued in the public schools of this state. Through vacation periods he worked upon
the home farm and he remained under the parental roof until he had attained his
majority, after w'hich he took up agricultural pursuits on his own account. He pur-
chased his present farm in 1918, acquiring sixty acres of land, all of which is care-
fully irrigated and splendidly improved. It is known as the Water Front farm and
in its cultivation he is meeting with substantial success. He has carefully tilled the
fields and as the result of his earnest labor, guided- by sound business judgment,
he has gathered good crops which have made his annual income a very desirable
In 1911 Mr. Gammon was united in marriage to Miss Junie Hildenbrandt, who
was born in Jones county, Iowa, a daughter of Philip and Anna (Bohlken) Hilden-
brandt, the former a native of the state of New York, while the latter was born in
Germany. Mrs. Gammon was one of a family of eight children and by her marriage
she has become the mother of one daughter. Evelyn Faye, born June 7, 1917.
In his political views Mr. Gammon is a democrat but has never been an office
seeker, preferring to give his undivided time and attention to his business affairs.
He has made all that he possesses since starting out in lite on his own account.
Steadily he has worked his way upward until he is today one of the prosperous
farmers of Boulder county, wisely and successfully carrying on busines interests which
bring him good financial returns.
THEODORE A. HUTCHINSON.
Forty-two years have passed since Theodore A. Hutchinson took up his abode upon
his present farm, which is situated in the vicinity of Broomfield, although the town
had not been established when he located on his present place. He has been an
interested witness of the growth and development of the state throughout the passing
years and has borne his full share in promoting its agricultural progress. He was born
in Canaan, Columbia county. New York, October 11, 1&42, and has therefore reached
the seventy-sixth milestone on life's journey. His parents were Benjamin B. and
Clarissa (Dewey) Hutchinson and one of his granduncles, Wheeler Hutchinson, served
as a private in the Revolutionary war and with the rank of lieutenant in the War
Theodore A. Hutchinson acquired a district school education in Michigan, for during
his early childhood 'his parents removed to that stale. He also attended the Methodist
Seminary at Colon. St. Joseph county, Michigan, and at the time of the Civil war
he put aside all personal interests to espouse the cause of the Union, enlisting on the
11th of August, 1862, as a member of Company C of the Seventeenth Michigan Vol-
unteer Infantry. He participated in the battle of South Mountain and Antietam with
.General McClellan, was also for a time with the division under General Burnside and
■was with Grant in the capture of Vicksburg. He afterward participated in campaigns
THEODORE A. HUTCHINSON
728 HISTORY OF COLORADO
in Kentucky and Tennessee and took part in the siege of Knoxville, Tennessee. He
was also with the forces under General Grant in the capture of Petersburg, and was
serving with the rank of first sergeant when the war was brought to a close. He
had always been a brave and loyal soldier, faithful to duty, and returned to his home
with a most creditable military record.
With his return home Mr. Hutchinson resumed his education, spending the suc-
ceeding fall and winter in the seminary. In the spring of 1866 he removed westward
to Missouri with his brother Frisbie D., where he engaged in farming for five years,
and in 1870 he arrived in Colorado on the first passenger train to make the trip over
the old Kansas Pacific Railroad. Settling in Denver, which was then a small mining
town, he established a grocery business and conducted his store for five years. In
1876, however, he removed to the vicinity of what is now Broomfield and took up a
homestead of one hundred and sixty acres. Throughout the intervening period he
has carried on general farming and has been an interested witness of the marked
changes which have occurred in methods here. When he first came, there was no
water, as no irrigation systems had been promoted. He met the hardships and con-
ditions of pioneer life and he was among the foremost to promote the construction and
extension of the old Arapahoe ditch for about twenty-six miles tli rough Jefferson
and Adams counties. For a long time he was secretary of the ditch company, which
is now called the Farmers Highline Reservoir & Canal Company, the stock of which
is owned only by the farmers who are supplied with water from that ditch. Mr.
Hutchinson has about thirty-five acres of his land planted to alfalfa, while the rest
is given over to grain production. His farm presents a very neat and attractive appear-
ance and he is systematic in all of his work, while his energy and enterprise have ever
proven dominant elements in the attainment of his success.
In Hannibal, Missouri, Mr. Hutchinson was married on the 2Sth of May, 1868, to
Miss Mary E. Lennon, a daughter of the late Major John A. Ltnnon, of Denver, and