Elizabeth (Brown) Lennon, a sister of H. C. Brown or the Brown Palace Hotel.
The children of this marriage are as follows. Clarissa is the wife of Ben A. Johnson,
by whom she has five children. Irene, Edna, Ben, Willis and Clara May. Elmer and
Katherine May are both deceased. Arthur, now deceased, mairiptl Margaret Johns,
by whom he had three children; Theodore; Katherine, who became the wife of Arthur
Ketchum and has one son; and Benjamin, who is now in France with the United States
army. Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson have lived to celebrate their golden wedding anni-
Mr. Hutchinson is a republican in his political views and maintains pleasant
relations with his old army comrades through his membership in Arvada Post, G. A. R.
He has ever been as true and loyal to his country as when he followed the nation's
starry banner on the battlefields of the south and the same spirii is manifest in his
grandson, Benjamin Hutchinson, who is now with the colors in France.
BENJAMIN A. JOHNSON.
Benjamin A. Johnson, living near Eastlake. on a farm owned by him and known
as Ash Grove Farm, has been closely identified with the development and man-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
agement of irrigation projects in eastern Colorado. He was born at Batavia, Illinois,
April 17, 1871. a son of Nels and Anna T. Johnson, the former deceased, and the latter
now residing at 2929 Gilpin street, Denver. Both parents were natives of Sweden,
where they were educated, and after coming to the new world were married in Illinois.
Nels Johnson came to Colorado in the year 1S80, and was employed in the smelters at
Argo and Golden for soilie four years, then moved to a homestead thirteen miles north
of Denver and remained there until 1906, when he moved to Denver, living there at the
time of his death in 1909.
Benjamin A. Johnson, the second in order of birth in a family of four children,
was educated in the district school, and later took a business course in the Central
Business College of Denver. His business course was taken during the winter months
when he began his irrigation career as ditch rider on the Farmers' High Line Canal
in 1887 and was employed during the irrigation seasons, attending business college
during the winter months. He was employed in that capacity until 1898, at which
time he was promoted to the superintendency of said canal company and remained
in that capacity until 1912, when he accepted a position with the Model Land and
Irrigation Company, in the southern part of the state, as manager and superintendent.
He was employed by them until 1917, at which time he accepted a position with the
HISTORY OF COLORADO 729
Tucson Farms Company, one of the largest land and irrigation companies in southern
Arizona, and is at present employed by them as their general superintendent, the
position appealing to him on account of the general knowledge he is receiving of pump-
ing irrigation, which he proposes to use in future, in further developing irrigation in
Colorado. He has also been active in agricultural instruction work, making that part
of his work at all times, and is serving at present as president of the Pima County
(Arizona) Farm Bureau.
Mr. Johnson was married in 1892, on the Hutchinson farm, near Bastlake, Colo-
rado, to Miss Clara F. Hutchinson, a daughter of Theodore A. and Mairy Elizabeth
(Lennon) Hutchinson. She was born in Denver and has always been a resident of this
state. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have been born five children, Irene M., Edna B.,
Benjamin A.. Willis T. and Clara May.
In his political views Mr. Johnson is a republican, giving stalwart allegiance to
the party because of his firm belief in its principles. His religious faith is that of the
Methodist church, and fraternally he is a member of the Woodmen of the World and
the Knights of Pythias. He has many sterling qualities, and his business ability has
been recognized by all whom he has represented. Gradually he has worked his way
upwards, and his energy has brought him prominently to the front.
For many years Patrick Mulrooney of Denver has been identified with the devel-
opment of the rich mining resources of the west. His efforts in Colorado have con-
tributed much toward promoting the prosperity of the state, where he has resided since
March, 1877. Ireland claims him as a native son. his birth having occurred in County
Galway in March, 1852, his parents being Patrick and Sarah (Mooney) Mulrooney. His
education was partly acquired in his native land but when sixteen years of age he
bade adieu to the green isle of Erin and sailed tor the United States. He afterward
worked at boiler making in Wilmington. Delaware, for the firm of Harlan & Holling-
worth, with which he continued for two years. On the expiration of that period he
left the Atlantic coast and made his way to Davenport, Iowa, where for two years he
was connected with the lumber trade. Later he spent two and a half years in St.
Louis, where he conducted an express business for a firm who had about seven hun-
dred teams. For three years he occupied that important position and then removed
to Cheyenne, Wyoming, whence he came to Denver in March, 1877. Not long after-
ward he began mining at Central City, where he remained for a few months and then
went to Leadville, where he worked in the Gallagher mine, sinking a shaft for Charles
and Patrick Gallagher. Two months were spent in that position, at the end of which
time he was poisoned and in order to recover from the illness attendant thereon he
went to Cottonwood Springs. Since 1878 he has engaged in business on his own ac-
count and has become a prominent figure in mining circles in Colorado. He located
the Greenback mine in May, 1878, and worked it at Intervals afterward. He also leased
other properties, including the Morning and Evening Star mine and the Venus mine,
which he leased in 1886 and in which he is still interested. He was superintendent
of the Pittsburgh mine in 1880 and 1881 and of the Independence mine in 1881 and
1882. In February. 1888, he went to Utah and was identified with mining interests
of that state for eleven years. In 1900 he returned to Denver, where he has since
made his home. Like all who enter the mining field, he has met with both reverses
and success, but the latter has predominated owing to his sound judgment combined
with wide experience and unfaltering enterprise. From 1894 until 1898 inclusive and
again from 1902 until 1916 he worked the Greenback mine, the largest in the state,
and then sold to the Western Chemical Company. There is no feature of mining in
Colorado with which he is not thoroughly familiar. He has studied the subject from
every possible standpoint and his determination, backed up by sound judgment and
clear insight, has been the salient element in the attainment of the gratifying success
which is today his.
In Leadville, in March, 1884, Mr. Mulrooney was united in marriage to Margaret
Fitzgerald and to them have been born the following children: Mary, Sarah, Margaret,
Gertrude, Thomas. Edward, Helen and Anna, but the last named is now deceased.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church and Mr. Mulrooney
is Identified with the Knights of Columbus as a third degree member, belonging to
Leadville Council, No. 681, in which he served on the board of trustees in 1901. His
efforts and attention have always largely been concentrated upon his business affairs
730 HISTORY OF COLORADO
and since 1878, when he started out independently, his course has on the whole been
marked by a steady progression that has brought him to a most creditable and prom-
inent position in mining circles of the state.
Robert Cameron, a most progressive, energetic, farsighted and successful business
man, extensively engaged in ranching as general manager of the Cameron ranch a mile
east of Ramah, was born on the 24th of February. 1874, in Perthshire, Scotland, a son
of Ewen and Margaret (Mclntire) Cameron. He was a young man of twenty years
when in 1S94 he crossed the Atlantic and made his way to Colorado. He at once took
up his abode on the Cameron ranch near Ramah, where he has since resided. This
is situated a mile east of the town and is owned by Mrs. Elizabeth Cameron, the widow
of John Cameron, who came to America from Scotland in 1871. Making his way to
Colorado during the pioneer epoch in its history, he homesteaded land within the
borders of the state and from time to time added to his original possessions until he
became one of the large landowners and sheep men of El Paso county. The Cameron
ranch comprises seventy-five hundred acres, all of which is under the direct supervi-
sion of Robert Cameron, who feeds from two to three thousand head of sheep each
winter. The ranch is very productive and he has a large acreage planted to alfalfa,
which produces hundreds of tons of hay each year under the careful management
of Robert Cameron. The spirit of enterprise and progress seems to be a characteristic
of those who bear the name. The original owner of the place, John Cameron, was a
man of marked business ability, executive force and keen discrimination in all busi-
ness affairs and by reason of his diligence and sagacity he was able to acquire the
vast holdings which are now owned by his widow. In the successful management of
the property Robert Cameron also displays the most substantial business qualities, mak-
ing the ranch a great profit-bearing one.
In 1902 Robert Cameron was united in marriage to Miss Jean Duncan, also a native
of Scotland, and they have a son, Ewen Donald, who was born June 3, 1907. Mr.
Cameron and his family attend the Presbyterian church and in social circles they
occupy an enviable position. His political allegiance is given to the republican party
and he is prominent in Masonic circles, having attained to the thirty-second degree
of the Scottish Rite. He belongs to the blue lodge at Flagler, Colorado, to the chapter
at Colorado Springs and also to El Jebel Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Denver. He
is a loyal adherent of the teachings and purposes of the craft and exemplifies in his
life the beneficent spirit upon which it is based. Coming to the new world when
a young man of twenty years. Robert Cameron has made steady prop:ress along busi-
ness lines and has never had occasion to regret his determination to try his fortune
on this side of the Atlantic.
SIDNEY W. CLARK
Sidney W. Clark, filling the office of deputy state bank commissioner at Denver, was
born in White City, Kansas. August 12, 1872. His father, William A. Clark, a farmer
by occupation, spent his last days in Americus. Kansas. He was born in Michigan and
at the time of the Civil war he responded to the country's call for troops, enlisting as
a member of Company B, Eleventh Michigan Cavalry, with which he did active service
for four years. His wife, Mrs. Hattie A. Clark, a native of Flint, Michigan, is still
living. Their family numbered six children, four of whom survive.
Mr. and Mrs. Clark removed from Michigan to Kansas and it was in the public
schools of Americus that Sidney W. Clark pnrsued his education, while in 1892 he be-
came a student in the State Normal School there, doing special work. He also attended
the Wesleyan University at Salina. Kansas, from which he won the degree of Master
of Accounts upon graduation from the commercial law department. Early taking up
the profession of teaching, Mr. Clark devoted four years to the work in Kansas and also
gave some time to agricultural pursuits. In 1896 he went to Raton, New Mexico, where
he occupied the position of bookkeeper in the First National Bank. He next became
assistant cashier and later cashier of the Citizens State Bank of Raton, which in 1904
became the Citizens National Bank. On leaving New Mexico he removed to Fort Col-
lins, Colorado, where he conducted a hardware business. Later he was engaged for a
732 HISTORY OF COLORADO
time in the abstract business and subsequently turned his attention to the boot and
shoe trade. He was also at different periods connected with the grocery business and
the ice business and during all this period was interested in farming as well. His
has been a busy, useful and active life, in which indefatigable energy and persistency of
purpose have brought to him a substanital measure of success. He came to Denver
in 1914 and is now making an excellent record as deputy state bank commissioner for
the state of Colorado.
In 1903 Mr. Clark was united in marriage to Miss Alice Pace, of Raton, New
Mexico, a daughter of George J. Pace, one of the old residents of that state. Mrs.
Clark was born in Illinois and by her marriage has become the mother of one son,
James Pace, who is now three years of age.
In politics Mr. Clark is a republican, giving stalwart support to the party and its
principles, and he served in Fort Collins as a member of the city council for two
years and as mayor pro tern. He does all in his power to advance the success of his
party, believing firmly in its principles. He is well known in Masonic circles, holding
membership in the lodge, chapter anil commandery of Fort Collins, and of the last
named he is a past eminent commander. His religious faith is that of the Methodist
Episcopal Church and he is ever loyal to its teachings. He stands for those things
which are most worth while in life, never being content to choose the second best, and
the high standards which have actuated him make him a man whom to know is to
respect and honor.
MARVIN ALDEN SIMPSON.
Marvin Alden Simpson, an attorney at law practicing his profession in Denver, was
born in Shelby, Iowa, on the 20th of August. 1886. a son of Albert O. and Mary L.
(Lane) Simpson. The Simpson family is of English origin and was founded in America
at a very early period in the colonization of New England. The father, Albert 0. Simp-
son, was a native of Massachusetts and a direct descendant in the paternal line of
John and Priscilla Alden. He was quite young at the time of the removal of his
parents to Iowa and in that state he was reared and educated. The family home was
established in western Iowa when that section of the state had scarcely been opened to
civilization. His father became a large landowner and very wealthy man of the region
in which he located. As the years passed Albert 0. Simpson occupied a prominent
position in connection with interests of Iowa and his last days were passed in Clinton,
that state, where his death occurred in 1890. He was born in 1862, so that he was a
comparatively young man of twenty-eight years when called to the home beyond. In
early manhood he wedded Mary L. Lane, who was born in Scott county, Iowa, and
belonged to one of the pioneer families of that state. She was of Scotch-Irish lineage.
Her parents were also wealthy and prominent landowners of Iowa who took up their
abode within its borders when pioneer conditions prevailed. Her father was a native
of Dublin, Ireland, and was christened Patrick Henry Lane. He was born in 181S and
came to America in 1840. His daughter. Mrs. Simpson, passed away in 1904 at the
age of forty-one years. She was the mother of three children.
Marvin Alden Simpson, who was the second in order of birth in that family and
is the only one now living, was reared in Iowa and educated in the schools of Shelby,
Avoca and Council Bluffs, while later he continued his studies in San Antonio, Texas,
and in Lancaster and Madison, Wisconsin. He pursued a high school course and a
preparatory course and then entered the University of Wisconsin, where he pursued
the work of the sophomore year. On the expiration of that period he came to Colo-
rado and entered the University of Colorado at Boulder, where he completed his law
studies, which he had previously begun in the Lebanon Law School of Cumberland
University at Lebanon, Tennessee. He was graduated in 1912 with the LL. B. degree
and was admitted to practice in June, 1912, in both Kentucky and Tennessee. He
located for professional activity in Denver, however, in December, 1912. entering the
office of McKnight & Henry, with which firm he continued until August, 1914. He was
afterward associated with Hilliard & Lilyard until August, 1917, since which time he
has been connected with Mr. Lilyard in practice under the firm style of Lilyard &
Simpson. This firm specializes in corporation and probate law and has attained high
rank in connection with those branches of the profession. Both partners are well in-
formed concerning the legal principles having to do with corporation and probate in-
terests and their practice is now extensive and important. Mr. Simpson holds member-
ship with the Denver County Bar Association.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 733
On the 20th of December, 1911, Mr. Simpson was united in marriage to Miss Mar-
guerite J. Bromfield. a daughter of Albert J. Bromfield, and they have become the
parents of one child. Marguerite Elaine, who was born in Denver, September 20, 1913.
In politics Mr. Simpson maintains an independent course and fraternally he is
connected with the Phi Kappa Psi, while his religious faith is that of the Presbyterian
church. In an analyzation of his career it will be see"n that his advancement and
prominence have come as the direct result of his own labors. In fact, he chose as a
life work a profession in which family and influence are of little or no avail and by
individual effort he has steadily progressed, his marked ability being the direct out-
come of wide study, broad experience and laudable ambition. He is well qualified to
undertake important interests, especially in the field of corporation and probate prac-
tice, and his work has frequently brought him prominently before the public as a lead-
ing member of the Denver bar.
LEONARD WHEELER GARDNER.
Leonard Wheeler Gardner, a resident of Colorado since 1872, now making his home
at Canon City, has been identified with many events which figure on the pages of
pioneer history in this state. He was born near Clarksville, Tennessee, on the old famous
traveled road leading into that city, July 6, 1850, and in the paternal line comes of
Scotch Irish ancestry. His father. W. B. Gardner, removed to Kentucky when the son
was a small boy. His mother was Marinda (Bobo) Gardner, one of the most beautiful
women in Tennessee. Mr. Gardner of this review still has the picture of his mother
taken at the time of her marriage. The Bobo family was descended from four brothtrs
of that name who came from France, one of these settling near Clarksville, Tennessee.
He was the father of Marinda Bobo and the grandfather of Leonard Wheeler Gardner
After spending the period of his minority in the south Leonard Wheeler Gardner
came to Colorado in 1872, when a young man of aibout twenty-two years, and turned his
attention to the cattle business. Judge Tom Macon, later one of the great jurists of
the state, gave Mr. Gardner his start. He began raising cattle with his two brothers
on Tallahasse creek in Colorado two days after his arrival in the territory and has
been there ever since. As the years have passed he has prospered in his undertakings
and he and his wife are now the owners of two thousand and eighty acres of land and
he has had as high as two thousand head of cattle upon the range. He can relate
many thrilling and interesting incidents of the early days when the Indians inhabited
this section. The first cattle he ever sold were to the Indians. The Utes had been
on a rampage in the winter of 1S73 4 and, hiding their own ponies, had made a raid on
the Arapahoes and had stolen five hundred head from them. But the snow was so deep
that they couldn't get over the Divide and they were starving in what was known as
"Eight Mile Park." Over a thousand of them were camped there. The government
agent sent over to Mr. Gardner and told him to take his cattle to the Indian camp.
The famous chief, Ouray, was at the head of the band and Mr. Gardner visited Ouray's
tent and met his squaw. Chipeta. Ouray spoke excellent English. The finest watch
that Mr. Gardner had ever seen was hanging on the side of the tent — a present to Ouray
on his notable visit to Washington. Mr. Gardner received thirty dollars per head for
his cattle. He saw the Indians on their ponies, ready to slaughter the cattle, and the
-killing was done in a few minutes and meat was piled high on the ponies. Indians
straddling on top. They ate every particle of the animals. When the cow or bull fell,
the Indian cut off his tail first, then with lightning-like rapidity skinned the animal,
running his knife along the backbone.
As the years passed on Mr. Gardner continued his cattle raising interests and is
still active along that line of business. Throughout the years of his residence in Colo-
rado he has improved his opportunities and is today one of the prosperous cattle men
and ranchers of his section of the stale.
On the 12th of February, 1880, on the Rader ranch at Four Mile, Fremont county,
Leonard Wheeler Gardner was united in marriage to Anna Rader and the families of
two old-timers were thus united. Mrs. Gardner was one of the founders of the famous
woman's club of Canon City called Friends in Council. This was among the first of
the women's clubs in the state and of the organization she has been treasurer for
many years. The club initiated the work to secure the Travel Libraries for Colorado
and was also prominent in the work for the Scholarship Fund. Mrs. Gardner is also
most active in church work, doing much to further the interests of the Episcopal church
In Canon City.
734 HISTORY OF COLORADO
Like her husband, Mrs. Gardner has shared in the hardships of the early days.
She can remember when the Indians would come to beg "biscuits, matches and sugar."
Their house was often surrounded by Indians but the people were never molested. She
remembers well a young buck and squaw who asked permission to live inside their en-
closure. The buck always traded his venison tor small supplies, never molested any-
thing and never entered the Ifouse when the women of the household were alone.
To Mr. and Mrs. Gardner were born three daughters: Mrs. David Dunaway, of Los
Angeles, California; Mrs. George F. Crowe, now on the old Rader ranch; and Mrs.
Raymond Grimes, of Phoenix, Arizona. There is also one grandchild, Barbara Crowe.
William Epplnger, deceased, who was identified with farming interests of
County during the later years of his life, was born in Germany on the 15th of July,
1859, and spent his youthful days in that country. He came to America in the '80s and
took up his abode in Kansas. He was married in Kansas City, Missouri, in April,
18S8, to Miss Theresa Burrell, also a native of Germany, and several years after his
marriage he removed to Colorado with his family, taking up his abode in this state
in 1892. He first settled in Denver, while later he purchased the farm whereon his
family now reside, becoming owner of eighty acres of land, all of which is under ditch.
He carefully developed and improved the property, continuing its further cultivation
to the time of his demise, and his labors were manifest in excellent results.
To Mr. and Mrs. Eppinger were born six children: Helen, who is now the wife
of Lewis Schulter; William, who is married; Martha, the wife of Reno Bruchez; Louise,
the wife of Michael Wingarten; Robert, who is cultivating the old homestead farm for
his mother; and Fred, who is also at home.
Mrs. Eppinger is a member of the Lutheran church and guides her life according
to its teachings. She is possessed of many substantial qualities and traits of character
which endear her to her many friends and she is numbered among the representative
farming women of the community.
Louis Wagner, actively Identified with the legal profession and with mining interests
in Denver and Colorado, was born in Jefferson City, Missouri, March 10. 1861, a son of
George and Katherine (Wolfrum) Wagner, both of whom were born on the other side of
the Atlantic. Both made their way to Missouri in 1840 and settled in Jefferson City, where
the father engaged in the brewing business, but during the last twenty-five years of his
life he lived retired. He passed away in 1895, at the age of seventy-four years, while his
wife survived until 1903 and was seventy-four years of age at the time of her demise.
They had a family of seven children.
Louis Wagner, who was the sixth in order of birth, was a pupil in the public schools
of his native city until graduated from the high school, after which he entered the Wash-