Wilbur Fiske Stone.

History of Colorado; (Volume 4) online

. (page 94 of 108)
Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 94 of 108)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

ington University at St. Louis, Missouri, and subsequently continued his studies in the
University of Missouri at Columbia, where he pursued an academic course. He was there
graduated in 1881, after which he began preparation for his professional career as a
student in the Columbia University Law School. He afterward entered a law office at
Jefferson City. Missouri, and continued his reading under private instruction, there
remaining until admitted to the bar in 1884. He at once entered upon practice on his own
account in Jefferson City and followed his profession successfully there until 1889. During
that period he served for two terms as city attorney and was also prosecuting attorney
of the county for one term.

In 1889 Mr. Wagner removed to Denver, where he has since engaged in the practice
of law and has won recognition as a leading attorney of Colorado. He has been assistant
in the office of the city attorney and he has been accorded a liberal clientage that has
connected him with much ' important litigation. He belongs to the Denver City and
County Bar Association and to the Colorado State Bar Association. He is likewise identi-
fied with mining interests and is president of the company owning and operating the
Bull-Domingo mine, situated in the famous West Cliff — Silver Cliff mining district of
Custer county, Colorado.




LOUIS WAGNER



736 HISTORY OF COLORADO

Mr. Wagner was married on the 22d of June, 1887. to Miss Winnie Burch, of Jefferson
City, Missouri, a daugliter of Mr. and Mrs. N. C. Burch. prominent people of that state,
her father being clerk of the supreme court. Six children have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Wagner. Mrs. Gertrude Stanley, born in Jefferson City. Missouri, was graduated
from the high school and is now a resident of Los Angeles, California. She is the wife
of Captain Charles Stanley of the United States army, stationed at Camp Lewis, and they
have two children. Katherine and Charles. Katherine Parkhill is the wife of Clayton
Parkhill, son of the late Dr. Clayton Parkhill. They are residents of Billings. Montana,
and have one child, Dorothy Parkhill. Willard B.. born in Denver, is now a lieutenant
of the national army, being in training at Camp Dodge, Des Moines, Iowa. George C.
was born in Los Angeles, California, where he now resides and is in business there. He
is married but has no children. Edith, who was born in Joplin, Missouri, is teaching
school in Denver. Richard, the youngest of the family, was born in Denver and is a
graduate of the high school.

In his political views Mr. Wagner is a republican and stanchly supports the prin-
ciples of the party. He belongs to the Beta Theta Phi, a college fraternity, and he is
identified with the Masons, exemplifying in his life the beneficent spirit that underlies
the craft. He and his wife hold membership in the Presbyterian church and his career
has been actuated by high and honorable principles that accord with his professions. In
law practice and in his business interests elsewhere he has held to advanced standards
and his indefatigable energy, close study and persistency of purpose have been salient
elements in bringing him to the enviable place which he now occupies in mining circles
and as a representative of the bar.



U J. WARREN.



U. J. Warren is vice president of the Warren Lumber Company, which has its general
offices at Port Morgan. This company owns a chain of six lumberyards in Colorado. In
connection with which hardware stores are conducted, and the business has now assumed
extensive proportions, constituting an important feature in the commercial development
of the various localities In which they operate. Mr. Warren is a man of keen sagacity,
sound judgment and marked business enterprise, carrying forward to successful comple-
tion whatever he undertakes, for in his vocabulary there Is no such word as fail.

The natal day of U. J. Warren was January 16, 1862. He was born in Logan county.
Illinois, of the marriage of George and Mary E. (Johnson) Warren, who were natives of
Ohio. The father was a farmer and stockman and in 18.53 went to Logan county. Illinois,
where he purchased land which he farmed until about 1883. He also carried on merchan-
dising in Lincoln. Illinois, for five years, and was one of the progressive and enterprising
business men of that locality. In 1883 he removed to Davenport, Nebraska, where he
purchased and improved a farm, devoting his attention to its further development until
the last years of his life, when he retired from active business and removed to Davenport,
where he spent his remaining days in the enjoyment of well earned rest. His death
occurred December 23, 1914, when he had reached the age of eighty-two years, and his
widow still survives, now making her home in Los Angeles. California.

Mr. Warren of this review was reared and educated in Logan county. Illinois,
attending the district school and later the schools of Lincoln. He afterward worked as
a farmhand for his father, and also in a shoe store to the age of twenty-one years, while
subsequently he was employed on a farm in Nebraska from 1883 until 1885. In the latter
year he became connected with a lumberyard at Culbertson. Nebraska, where he began
work at forty dollars per month in 1886. He was employed byW. C. Bullard & Company
for sixteen years and became thoroughly familiar with every phase of the lumber trade.
On the 1st of January. 1902, he came to Fort Morgan and established a lumber business
on his own account. He has since conducted this yard, which has been established under
the name of U. J. Warren & Company. In fact, he opened three lumberyards, one at Fort
Morgan, one at Brush and the other at Hillrose. Colorado. Today the company has six
yards and hardware stores in connection and is conducting a business of large extent and
importance. A. Barnett, of McCook. Nebraska, is the president of the company, with Mr.
Warren as the vice president and active manager and B. M. Frees, of San Diego. Cali-
fornia, as the secretary. Mr. Warren, however, has entire charge of all the business of
the six yards, with general offices at Fort Morgan. He is watchful of every detail pointing
to success, closed studies the market, and by judicious purchases is able to make
profitable sales.



HISTORY OF COLORADO 737

On the 6th of June. 1893, Mr. Warren was married to Miss Lillian Rowell and to them
has been born one child. Ruth E.. whose birth occurred August 31, 1894, and who is the
wife of E. P. Cochran, of Fort Morgan, by whom she has a son, E. P. Cochran, Jr., now
in his first year.

Mr. Warren belongs to the Knights of Pythias, to the Ancient Order of United Work-
men, and to the Modern Woodmen of America. His political support is given to the
democratic party and his religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church. He
is a man of genuine worth, actuated in all that he does by high principles and worthy
motives, and those who know him esteem him greatly because of his devotion to duty,
whether of a public or private nature. Throughout his entire career opportunity has
ever been to him a call to action, a call to which he has readily responded, and in the
conduct of his private affairs he has done much not only to further his individual interests
but also to promote public progress and improvement in the communities in which he
has operated.



ALBERT J. KNAUS.



Farming and stockraising interests of Boulder County are ably represented by
Albert J. Knaus, a prosperous agriculturist owning a farm two miles north of Niwot, its
location being on section 24. range 7, township 2. Born on the place which he now
owns. Mr. Knaus has inherited the spirit of western enterprise which is typical of all
Coloradoans. Moreover, he has combined with this spirit an undaunted energy and
close study of methods in order to attain the success which has already attended his
labors.

Mr. Knaus was born February 7. 1S82, a son of Clemens and Alice Eliza (Greub)
Knaus. the former a native of Germany and the latter of Switzerland. More extended
mention of the parents is made on other pages of this work. The father cajne to
America when about twenty-one years of age, shortly after the Civil war had come
to a close, and for a time resided in the east. He then removed to Colorado and con-
ducted a butcher shop at Blackhawk. Later he went to Oklahoma, following the same
line of business. Upon selling out he returned to this state, where for a time he
worked for others. He then bought land, upon which he instituted improvements and
modern equipment, and this farm he operated for the rest of his life. He was very
successful in all that he undertook and at the time of his demise owned seventeen
hundred acres. Having been engaged in the butchering business tor so many years,
he was naturally familiar with live stock and for years was heavily engaged in that
line of business. He held the controlling stock in the bank at Niwot and also the
controlling interests in the alfalfa mill there. Moreover, he was a heavy stockholder
in the Longmont Farmers Mill & Elevator Company. His death occurred in January,
1914, at the age of seventy-one years, but his widow survives and is residing on the
old home place. All who knew him esteemed him highly and took him at his true
worth. He was a valued member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and in
social, educational, moral and material lines ever gave his ready support to worthy
measures which had for their purpose public improvements along those liWes. Many
were those whom he assisted when they found themselves in a tight place or when
misfortune or disaster overtook them and it Is therefore but natural that his memory
is revered.

Albert J. Knaus was reared under the parental roof and early became acquainted
with farming methods. He was educated in Boulder County and remained with his
parents until he attained his majority, assisting his father in his business affairs up to
that time. In the family were ten children, six sons and four daughters, and when
the sons became of age the father gave each of them a farm. Albert J. Knaus re-
ceived eighty acres, which he has successfully managed and operated ever since. He
has improved the place to. a considerable extent, has instituted the latest facilities
and equipment and in every way has proven himself an up-to-date, judicious, energetic
and industrious agriculturist who is ever ready to embrace new methods and ideas
if they have proven of worth. In a comparatively short time he has acquired a con-
siderable fortune, represented largely by his farming interests, he having increased
the value of the property many times through his labors.

On May 17, 1905, Mr. Knaus was married to Miss Gertrude McGovern, a daughter
of James and Adelaide (Walter) McGovern. natives of Ohio. Mrs. Knaus was also born
in Ohio, her birth having occurred January 13, 1884. Her father was for many years

Vol, IV— 47



738 HISTORY OF COLORADO

connected with railroads and made his home in Massillon, passing away in 1889. His
wife died in 1888. Mr. and Mrs. Knaus have two children: Alice Eugenie, born April
28, 1906; and Alberta Leone, born November 8, 1914.

Along fraternal lines Mr. Knaus is prominent and well known, being a member
of the lodges of the Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. The religious
faith of the family is that of the Catholic church, and both he and his wife are earnest
and devout communicants of that faith. Politically he is a democrat but thus far
has not been connected with public office, having concentrated his entire attention
upon his farming interests, wliich are important and require most of his time. How-
ever, he has ever been in favor of movements which have for their purpose public
advancement and growth and readily gives of his time and means in order to promote
the general welfare. He is a loyal, public-spirited and patriotic American citizen, a
farsighted business man, a progressive farmer and a stanch friend, thus having well
earned the great respect in which he is generally held.



EVERETT L. ASHCRAFT.



Everett L. Ashcraft is the owner of excellent property interests in Elbert county
and in addition to conducting his farms has for eight years been mail carrier on a
rural route. He was born in Williamstown, Grant county, Kentucky, on the 20th of
March, 1880, a son of J. H. and Molly Ashcraft, jjho came to Colorado on the 20th of
March, 1886, and resided for some years in the southeastern part of the state. The
family was established in Kentucky at the earliest period of its development, an an-
cestor of Everett L. Ashcraft having gone with Daniel Boone to that district when it
was known as the dark and bloody ground.

A lad of but six years at the time of the arrival of the family in Colorado, Everett
L. Ashcraft has since lived in this state and is indebted to its school system for his
educational opportunities. He was reared to farm life and soon acquainted himself with
the best methods of tilling the soil and caring for the crops. Twelve years ago, or in
1906, he homesteaded five miles south of Mattison, in Elbert county, and in addition
to that holding now has a fine farm on the edge of the town of Mattison. The further
development of his landed possessions occupies much of his time and the remainder
is given to his service as a mail carrier on a rural route, which work he has performed
for eight years. This has brought him a wide acquaintance, and a genial and obliging
manner and unfailing courtesy have gained for him the respect of all with whom he
has come in contact.

On the 3d of February, 1903, Mr. Ashcraft was united in marriage to Miss Leah
Ashcraft, of Las Animas, Colorado, and they have become the parents of three chil-
dren: Leonard, Clarence and Clara.



MIKE WYATT.



Mike Wyatt. a highly respected citizen, interested in all that has to do with the
material, intellectual, political and moral progress of the community, makes his home
near Sedalia, where he is engaged in ranching. He was bom in Edgar county, Illinois,
January 23, 1S72, a son of James and Eliza (Manning) Wyatt, who were also natives
of Illinois. While spending his boyhood days under the parental roof Mike Wyatt pur-
sued his education until he had completed a high school course by graduation, after
which he became a student in the College of Law of Drake University at Des Moines,
Iowa. There he won his professional degree. He located for the practice of law in Red
Oak, Iowa, where he remained for two years, being an active member of the bar at that
place. For six years he engaged in teaching school in Illinois and in 1902 he removed to
Colorado, settling in Huerfano county. Residing in Pueblo, he continued to teach school
in Huerfano county for fourteen years and in 1916 he removed to Douglas county, where
he purchased the ranch upon which he now resides, becoming owner of four hundred
and ten acres of land on Jarre creek, southwest of Sedalia. He devotes his ranch to
dairying and general farming and his business affairs are bringing to him a substantial
measure of success. He has carefully cultivated his land and raises excellent crops,
while the dairy feature of his business is also proving most profitable.

On the 26th of December, 1894, Mr. Wyatt was united in marriage to Miss Nora B.




MIKE WYATT



740 HISTORY OF COLORADO

Mann, who was also born and reared In Edgar county. Illinois. Her father was a
prominent farmer there and was widely and favorably known. His daughter, Mrs. Wyatt.
is a high school graduate of Chrisman, Illinois, and by her marriage she has become
the mother of three sons. Arthur M., the eldest, born September 8, 1896. spent two
years as a high school pupil and was graduated from the American Business College
of Pueblo, Colorado. He enlisted in the Quartermaster's Corps in January, 1918, and
is now a sergeant. Previous to this time he had occupied a clerical position in the
First National Bank of Walsenburg, Colorado. Vernon T., born May 12, 189S, completed
two years' work in the high school and is now at home. Laurence M., born September
17, 1902, is a freshman in the high school at Sedalia.

Mr. Wyatt belongs to the Odd Fellows lodge at Sedalia and also to the Modern
Woodmen camp at Villisca, Iowa, and is loyal to the teachings and purposes of those
organizations. The cause of education has ever found in him a stalwart champion
and he has served as president of the board of school directors in District No. 5. His
political allegiance is given to the republican party and in 191S he was a candidate for
counly superintendent of schools on that ticket. He and his family are members of the
Baptist church and they are among the most highly esteemed people of the district in
which they live, for their sterling worth of character is recognized by all with whom
they come in contact. They stand for all those things which uplift the individual and
promote the welfare of the community, and their aid and cooperation can be counted
upon to further any measure for the general good.



BEAUREGARD ROSS.



Beauregard Ross, operating extensively in connection with the development of the
oil industry in the west, is now president of the Carper-Ross Company, controlling one
of the largest interests of the kind in Denver, and is also president of the Calumet Oil
& Gas Company, the Equitable Oil Company, and the Venture Oil & Refining Company.
He was born in Marshfield, Missouri, April 16, 1861, and is a son of Columbus Mack and
Adeline (Cloud) Ross, the former a native of Tennessee, while the latter was born in
Virginia. After their marriage they removed to Missouri and the father became a
well known physician and surgeon there. He was a surgeon major in the Confederate
army during the Civil war and was one of the distinguished men of the south. Follow-
ing the close of hostilities he removed to Illinois and later took up his abode in Texas
county in south central Missouri, where he was well known and prominent, serving for
many years as county clerk. He continued his residence in Missouri throughout his
remaining days, there passing away in 1896.

Beauregard Ross of this review was but six months of age at the time of his mother's
death. In his youth he attended the public schools of Texas county, Missouri, and after-
ward became a student in the Houston (Mo.) Academy. At a later period he became
a pupil in the Missouri School of Mines, and was graduated therefrom with the class
of 1882. He next turned his attention to the newspaper business. At the age of fifteen
years he had assisted in establishing the paper that is now conducted under the name
of the Houston Herald. It was after this that he pursued his college course and follow-
ing his graduation from the School of Mines he removed to Cameron, Missouri, where he
edited the Cameron Daily Sun. He likewise served as postmaster of Cameron for four
years under the administration of President Grover Cleveland. Eventually he disposed
of his interests at Cameron and made his way westward to Colorado, going to Cripple
Creek In 1898. There he engaged in assaying and mining, leasing some of the famous
mines in that district. He remained there for five years, when, disposing of his interests
at Cripple Creek, he took up his abode in Denver. At different periods he owned interests
in mines in Colorado, Utah and Nevada and was active in connection with the operation
and development of mining interests until 1915, since which time he has concentrated his
attention and efforts upon the oil business in Oklahoma and Louisiana. He is now presi-
dent of the Carper-Ross Company, which has developed until it is the largest in this
line in Denver, and he is also the president of the Calumet Oil & Gas Company, the
Equitable Oil Company and the Venture Oil & Refining Company. In the development of
their oil fields the companies with which he operates have secured the services of most
competent men and in the distribution of oil stock the most efficient salesmanship has
been manifest, so that the combined activities in these two lines have produced most
substantial results.

On the 5th of July, 1882, in RoUa, Missouri, Mr. Ross was married to Miss Electra
Prigmore, a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Lee Prigmore, of RoIIa, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs.



HISTORY OF COLORADO 741

Ross have become parents of five children. Harry B., born in RoUa in 1884, is a
mechanical engineer with the Doyle Machine Company. Mrs. E. B. Wood was born in
Houston, Missouri, in 1886 and is now living at Portland, Colorado. She has one child,
Thomas Ross Wood. Blanche A., born in Houston, Missouri, in 1887, resides at home.
Robert McDonald was born in Cameron, ^Missouri, in 1891 and is in Washington, D. C,
with the rank of first lieutenant where he has charge of the construction department of
an ammunition plant. J. Francis, born in Cameron, Missouri, in 1895, is secretary of the
Carper-Ross Company.

Mr. Ross gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and fraternally he is
connected with New Lodge, No. 110, A. F. & A. M., of Cripple Creek, and. has also
taken the degree of Royal Arch Masonry. His religious faith is that of the Methodist
Episcopal church. South. He is actuated in all that he does by a spirit of progressive-
ness that has enabled him to work his way upward. He started out empty-handed
and without assistance has steadily advanced until he has made for himself a credit-
able position in business circles in Denver.



GEORGE F. JONES.



George F. Jones, freight service inspector at Denver, was born in Leadville, Lake
county, Colorado, in the year 1886. a son of Charles W. and Elizabeth (O'Neil) Jones.
The father was engaged in the transfer business, transferring commodities on a large
scale, and also became interested in the railroads. He was in Leadville for about
twenty-five years, resided in Cardiff for about six years and in May, 1914, came to
Denver, retiring from active business life in order to enjoy the fruits of his former
toll. He reared a family who are a credit to his name. The eldest son, Warren Jones,
born in 1871, is interested in railroad business at Minneapolis. Ray died when thirty-
nine years of age. He was superintendent of the Harvey eating houses and during his
car service was also manager of the Vail Hotel at Pueblo," Colorado, for five years. The
Harvey eating houses have ever been among the most popular and best of the south-
west and as superintendent thereof Ray Jones became widely and favorably known
and was respected by all. He passed away in February. 1917, his remains being cre-
mated. He was a thirty-second degree Mason and in his life exemplified the beneficent
spirit of the craft. Martha Jones, the next member of the family, was born in 1885 and
is the wife of W. A. Murphy, western representative of the Acme Truck Company
of Michigan. She has two children. When her husband, Mr. Murphy, was eighteen
years of age he was editor of the Murphy Magazine and was considered a most brilliant
young man.

George F. Jones, whose name introduces this review, pursued his education in the
schools of Leadville to the age of twelve years, when he went to work in connection
with the hotel business. During that time he met some of the leading artists of the
day and others prominent along other lines. After a few months, however, he became
interested in the medical profession and began preparation therefor, but owing to
unforeseen circumstances he was obliged to change his plans and became Interested
in the railroad business. He was anxious to get an insight into the business and
started at the bottom. His first duty was to clean coaches in the car shops and later
he performed such service as trucking freight. He did with thorougliness and ability
everything that he undertook and gradually he worked his way upward until he was
occupying a position in the traffic office of the Rio Grande at Leadville. In October,
1904, he became connected with the Chicago. Burlington & Quincy Railroad in Denver,
starting in the local freight office. He served in various capacities there and in 1910
was appointed traveling tariff inspector of the Burlington lines in the west. In 1911
he was appointed claim agent at Denver under William J. Valley and in 1912 was
appointed contracting freight agent. In 1918, owing to the government taking over
the railroads, he was transferred to the operating department of the Burlington as
freight service inspector of the Wyoming district and is now acting in that responsible
position.

Mr. Jones is also interested in mining and is the president and one of the directors



Online LibraryWilbur Fiske StoneHistory of Colorado; (Volume 4) → online text (page 94 of 108)