of the Denting Mining Company of Denver. He takes an active interest in several
other financial propositions and in all business affairs has displayed progress and sub-
On the 26th of June, 1908, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Pearl Fristoe,
a daughter of Shannon and Ruth (Green) Fristoe. both of whom were natives of
Virginia. In politics Mr. Jones is independent and supports the candidates whom he
742 HISTORY OF COLORADO
believes will give the working man better conditions. His reputation among those
who know him best is a most enviable one. Nature endowed him with a ready mind
and he employs repartee to good advantage. His social qualities and appreciation for
the good in others make him a genial companion and he is a man of liberal spirit and
of genuine worth. He is now doing excellent service in connection with the government
management of the railroads and his previous training well qualifies him for the onerous
and responsible duties that devolve upon him.
WALTER W. WILCOX.
Walter W. Wilcox, of Denver, is the proprietor of the Wilcox Farm, one of the
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
most progressive, sanitary and scientifically conducted dairies of the entire west. In
fact its product has set a standard for other institutions of similar character and the
developed business, now one of extensive proportions, is the direct outcome of the study,
investigation and enterprising business methods of the owner.
Mr. Wilcox was born in Erie county. New York, July 27, 1868, and is a son of
William and Elizabeth (Van Velsor) Wilcox, who were likewise natives of the Empire
state. In 1873 they removed with their family to Grand Rapids, Michigan, and there
the father engaged in blacksmithing, being rated as one of the best mechanics in the
business. He was a very skilled workman and could forge almost anything out of the
rough material. At the outbreak of the Civil war, however, his business interests were
put aside, for he felt that his first consideration was his country and he volunteered
with a New York company, serving throughout the period of hostilities as a private.
He rendered valuable aid to the Union cause and returned to his home with a creditable
military record. Both he and his wife died in Michigan.
Walter W. Wilcox was the third in order of birth in a family of nine children. In
his youthful days he attended the schools of Grand Rapids. Michigan, and later of
Chicago, Illinois, and after his textbooks were put aside he secured a position in a
clothing store in the latter city and for twenty years devoted his energies to that line
of merchandising. He then decided to engage in a more profitable business if he could
find one and selected the real estate and building field as one in which he hoped to win
greater success. He purchased vacant property on the outskirts of Chicago and decided
to build better homes than any other real estate and building firm in Chicago. To this
end he began studying every feature of the business and soon won the reputation of
being the most conscientious builder in the city. He erected and sold hundreds of
homes in and around Chicago in the ten years in which lie was engaged in real estate
dealing there. In seeking a location to colonize with Chicago people he came to Denver
in 1907 and bought five sections of irrigated land from the Denver Reservoir & Irriga-
tion Company for the purpose previously indicated. Through intelligently directed
newspaper campaigns in the Chicago daily papers, representing an investment of thirty
thousand dollars, he sold seven hundred acres to homeseekers from Chicago. In March.
1911. he had disposed of a large portion of the tract of land which he had acquired and
he had advertised the sale in Chicago papers and had arranged to bring out and
feed five car loads of prospective buyers, when the Denver Reservoir & Irrigation Com-
pany made arrangements to double the water supply to the land. This cut off entirely
the water and Mr. Wilcox canceled his contracts, thereby sustaining heavy losses. There
was nothing else then for him to do but to farm the land, which he did until 1913. He
had a large force of workmen and farm laborers employed and was obliged to house and
feed them. For this purpose he maintained several cows and it was the duty of one of
these men to do the milking. One day Mr. Wilcox accidentally came upon this man,
who was beating a cow with a club. Mr. Wilcox took the weapon away and sent the
man to other work. After quieting the poor, excited animal he proceeded to milk her
and for several years thereafter he nevermore had any trouble with that cow. It was
this that gave him the idea of producing better milk and devoting his time to dairying
on a scientific and sanitary basis, for it seemed at that time that most of the dairies and
farms paid little attention to the quality of their milk and dairy products, as seen in the
tumble-down cow sheds. He soon secured a herd of blooded Holstein cows and began the
erection of a sanitary milking barn, and since that time his herd has developed until it
now numbers more than eighty Holstein cows, which are the best and healthiest milk
producers that money can buy. Mr. Wilcox has today one of the finest dairy farms in
the west. His cow barns and milking barns accommodate fifty cows at a milking and
the place is kept immaculately clean, being much more cleanly than many parlors.
WALTER W. WILCOX
744 HISTORY OF COLORADO
The walls are of glazed brick and there is ample ventilation. The building, too, is
heated for cold weather and equipped with electric fans for summer. Immediately on
being taken from the cow, the milk is strained and bottled by the most sanitary processes
possible and then placed in a large refrigerating and ice plant which Mr. Wilcox main-
tains upon his farm. Every bottle of milk is tested before it leaves the farm and
shipments are made to a radius of five hundred miles outside of Denver. The popularity
of the Wilcox Farm Dairy is continuously growing. Thousands of travelers who visit
the state make trips to the farm to inspect the place, for its reputation has gone abroad
throughout the world. Mr. Wilcox employs a chemist and bacteriologist and the labora-
tory report shows that the bacteria count is several thousand lower than the lowest
count required by any state or city in the United States. The Wilcox Farm sells perfect
milk, produced under the most sanitary conditions, and while the farm is located at
Broomfield, a Denver depot is maintained at 519 Eighteenth street. The Denver office
and dairy are conducted along the same sanitary and scientific lines as the farm and
the whole plant is the outcome of the study of Mr. Wilcox, leading to the adoption of
the most scientific principles in regard to the handling of milk and the care of the
cows. Dairying, as practiced by experts of the present time, did not happen. It is the
outgrowth of the keenest investigation and the adoption of the most progressive methods
and Mr. M'ilcox stands as a leader in that field of business.
On the 27th of November, 1888, Mr. Wilcox was married to Miss Emma E. Decker,
of Chicago, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Decker. They now have three children.
Arthur D., born in Chicago in September. 1889, was graduated from a high school there
and is now in the national aviation corps. W. L., born in Chicago in 1891, is also a
graduate of the schools of that city. E. A., born in Chicago in 1895. completes the family.
Mr. Wilcox is a member of the Denver Athletic Club and has taken the degrees of
both the York and Scottish Rites in Masonry, being a Knight Templar and Consistory
Mason. He is widely known, standing high in business circles, and he has made valu-
able contribution to the dairy interests of the state by setting a high standard for work
of that character.
FRED F. REINERT.
Fred F. Reinert. postmaster of Fort Morgan and a substantial and highly respected
citizen of his section of the state, was born in Sigourney, Iowa, February 12, 1883, a
son of M. and Mary (Horras) Reinert. the former a native of Germany, while the latter
was born in Iowa. The father came to America when eighteen years of age, and during
that time the Civil war was in progress. He volunteered for service with the northern
army, enlisting as a member of Company B. Second Iowa Infantry, under General James
B. Weaver. He thus served from 1862 until 1864. Following his military service he
returned to Sigourney, Iowa, and also purchased land in Keokuk county. He then
located upon his farm, which he developed and improved, continuing its cultivation
until 1915, when he retired, taking up his abode in the adjoining city of Sigourney. where
he still makes his home. In 1912. however, he was called upon to mourn the loss of his
wife, who passed away on the 8th of February of that year.
Fred F. Reinert attended the country schools of Keokuk county, Iowa, and later high
school at Sigourney, that state, after which he continued his education by a year's study
in St. Ambrose's College at Davenport. Iowa, and a year in the State Agri-
cultural College at Ames. He next entered the dental department of Drake University
at Des Moines, in which he continued his studies for two years, while later he became
a student in Creighton University at Omaha. Nebraska, and completed a course with the
class in dentistry of 1907. In the same year he removed to Brush. Morgan county, Colo-
rado, where for two years he successfully practiced his profession, and then took up his
• abode in Fort Morgan, where he continued in active practice until July 1, 1913, when he
was appointed postmaster, and has since occupied that position, making a most creditable
record. In his care of the mails he is systematic, thorough and painstaking, and his
treatment of the patrons of the office is always courteous and obliging.
On the 23d of June. 1909, Mr. Reinert was married to Miss Effie M. Behm. a daughter
of Cyrus and Sarah L. Behm. who were natives of Pennsylvania and pioneer residents
of Colorado, making their home in Denver for many years. The father has now passed
away, but the mother is still living in that city. Mrs. Reinert is a graduate of the East
Denver high school, and also spent a year in the musical college of Oberlin University.
She was graduated from the Denver University with the class of 1907. To Mr. and Mrs.
Reinert has been born a son. Frederick B., whose birth occurred June 9, 1911.
HISTORY OF COLORADO 745
Mr. Reinert lias always given his political allegiance to the democratic party since
age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He is also a member of the Masonic
fraternity and his religious faith is that of the United Presbyterian church. He has been
very active and helpful in war service work and is secretary of the Morgan County
Council of Defense and chairman of the home service of the Red Cross, while he also
was secretary of the first Young Men's Christian Association and Young Women's Chris-
tion Association and the second Red Cross war fund drives. His life has been charac-
terized by many sterling qualities of manhood and citizenship, and devotion to duty has
ever been one of his marked characteristics.
WILLIAM I. LAMBERT, JR.
William I. Lambert, the owner of a splendidly developed ranch, exemplifying all
that is thoroughly modern along agricultural lines, was born in Denver, June 5. 1SS4,
a son of William I. and Rachel (Paleman) Lambert. He acquired his education in the
schools of his native city, being graduated from the high school and a manual training
school, and since the completion of his education he has managed the two thousand
acre ranch on which he resides in Douglas County. This his father took up as a home-
stead, a preemption and a timber claim many years ago and it has been developed
to a high state of perfection under the management of William I. Lambert. Jr. He
has upon the place several hundred head of cattle, specializing in shorthorns. He has
an Irrigation reservoir, excellent buildings, a large apple orchard and in fact all of the
equipment, improvements and accessories of the model farm of the twentieth century.
On the 15th of November, 1917, Mr. Lambert was married to Miss Edna A. Manhart,
of Sedalia, Colorado, a daughter of George and Bertha (Hoffman) Manhart, the former
a leading merchant of Sedalia. where he has been in business for forty-two years.
Mr. Lambert is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows and the Sons of Colorado, of Denver. His political allegiance is given to
the republican party and in November, 1918, he was elected to represent Douglas county
in the state legislature. His father is a prominent title and trust man of Denver
and William I. Lambert had excellent home and educational training. His success in
business is the direct result of earnest and persistent labor, intelligently directed. He
has closely studied every phase of agricultural development in this section of the
country and his labors have been directed along the most progressive lines, resulting
in added benefit to the farm and in the development of his individual fortune.
HENRY O. ANDREW.
Henry O. Andrew, a well known and representative member of the Boulder bar,
who is actively and prominently identified with interests that have much to do with
public welfare and progress, was born in Boulder in 1874. His father, Joseph Wier
Andrew, was born in Sparta, Washington county, Pennsylvania, March 9, 1839, and in
November, 1861, when a young man of twenty-two years, responded to the country's
call for military aid and joined Company A of the Eighty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry, with which he served throughout the period of the war or until mustered
out on the 19th of December, 1865. On the 14th of February. 1867. he was united in
marriage to Sarah Lavina Day. also a native of Washington county, Pennsylvania,
where the marriage was celebrated. In 1871 they removed westward to Boulder county,
Colorado, where they reared their family of nine children, three of whom are yet living:
Hilliard S. and Henry 0., both of Boulder; and Ida, who is the wife of James S.
Maxwell, of Minden, Louisiana. The father, Joseph W. Andrew, became one of the sub-
stantial and influential citizens of Boulder and in 1891 was elected to the office of
county commissioner, which position he filled for four years. He died on the 23d of
Henry 0. Andrew pursued his education in the public schools of his native county
and of the city of Boulder and in 1896 was graduated from the University of Colorado
with the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. He then took up the study of law and won
his LL. B. degree upon graduation from the law department with the class of 1899.
At once he began practice in Boulder, where he has since remained, concentrating
his efforts and attention upon the work of the profession. He is a strong advocate
with the jury and concise in his appeals before the court. To an understanding of
746 HISTORY OF COLORADO
acuteness and vigor he added a thorough and conscientious preparatory training, and
in his practice lie has been constantly inspired by an innate, inflexible love of justice
and a delicate sense of personal honor. His fidelity to the interests of his clients is
proverbial, yet he never forgets that he owes a higher allegiance to the majesty of
the law. His diligence and energy ii) the preparation of his cases, as well as the
earnestness, tenacity and courage with which he defends the right as he understands
it, challenge the highest admiration of his associates.
On the 31st of January, 1906, in Boulder, Colorado, Mr. Andrew was married to
Miss Bertha M. Thompson, a daughter of the late Clay Thompson, who was a Con-
federate soldier from Kentucky. Mrs. Andrew passed away November 6, 1914, leaving
a daughter, Jeanne.
Mr. Andrew attends the Presbyterian church. He belongs to the Boulder Club, also
the Sons of Colorado and the Delta Tau Delta. His membership relations also extend
to every branch of Masonry. He has attained the Knight Templar degree of the York
Rite and the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and has crossed the sands or
the desert with the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He took the master's degree In 1903
and in 1907 he was elected worshipful master of Columbia Lodge, No. 14, A. F. & A. M..
of Boulder. In 1913 he filled the position of excellent high priest of Boulder Chapter,
No. 7, R. A. M., and in 1914 was eminent commander of Mount Sinai Commandery, No.
7, K. T. In 1917 he became a member of El Jebel Temple of the Mystic Shrine and in
the same year he attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite in Rocky Moun-
tain Consistory, No. 2, S. P. R. S. His political allegiance has always been given to
the democratic party and in 1905 he was elected for a two years' term as city attorney
of Boulder and in 1916 was elected to represent his district in the state senate for four
years, so that he is now filling that position, giving most thoughtful and earnest con-
sideration to the vital and intricate problems which are now arising not only in the
management of state affairs but those which have relation to the nation in this hour of
crisis. In 1917 he was elected a member of the charter convention of Boulder, whicli
provided for a city manager, and he is now serving as a member of the city council.
He thus takes active and helpful part in community interests and in all that has to do
with the welfare and upbuilding of city and state.
FRANK J. KEICHER.
Among the efficient public officers of Washington county is Frank J. Keicher, of
Akron, Colorado, who holds the important position of assessor. He has shown fit-
ness for the office and displayed ability in the discharge of his duties, the general
public being as one in its approval of his administration of the office. He was born
in Keokuk, Iowa, July 16, 1885, his parents being Michael and Amelia (Moore) Keicher,
the former a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, and the latter of St. Louis, Missouri.
The father came to America about 1873 at the age of twenty-five years and soon after-
ward located in Keokuk county, Iowa, there renting land for several years. In October,
1888, he came to Washington county, our subject being only three years of age at that
time, and here he filed on a homestead and tree claim, improving his land and bring-
ing it to a high state of cultivation, operating his farm until his death, which occurred
in September, 1905. He enjoyed great esteem in his community. His widow survives.
Frank J. Keicher was reared and educated in Washington county and remained
with his father upon the farm until the latter's death, ably assisting him in his agri-
cultural pursuits. At the same time he did some outside work on neighboring farms.
After his father's death he took over the management of the home place, taking
charge of the same for his mother, and so continued for two years, at the end of
which time he rented the farm, operating the same for several years on his own
account. At the age of twenty-one he also had homesteaded across from his father's
farm and improved this land, using the latest methods and instituting modern facili-
ties and machinery, thus securing plentiful crops. In 1912 Mr. Keicher gave up active
farming, although he retained ownership of the property and went to Yuma, Colorado,
where he engaged in the automobile business. He conducted an enterprise of this
kind until March, 1914, with satisfactory results, at which time he sold out and
returned to his land, which he operated until the fall of 1916, when he was elected
assessor of Washington county. He has since served in this capacity with creditable
success. He has thoroughly systematized the office, and his books and official records
are kept in the best condition. In his intercourse with the public he is obliging and
HISTORY OF COLORADO 747
has made many friends since entering upon his duties. Washington county Is indeed
favored in having officers of the stamp of Mr. Keicher.
On February 28, 1907, occurred the marriage of Frank J. Keicher and Miss Blanche
Shook, daughter of R. A. Shook, and to this union was born a daughter, Blanche,
whose birth occurred April 10, 1908. The death of Mrs. Keicher occurred on the same
day and in October, 1910, Mr. Keicher wedded Dee Prater and they became the parents
of three children, all of whom died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Keicher are well known
in the social lite of their city and county and have many friends who esteem them
for their high qualities of character and those Inherent traits which make people
In his political views Mr. Keicher Is a democrat and has always supported the
principles and candidates of his party. He is well known in fraternal circles, belong-
ing to the Masonic order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the humane
principles underlying those organizations guide him in all the relations of life.
As an American citizen, as a public official and as a man Mr. Keicher stands high in
the estimation of those who are acquainted with him. He is ever ready to give his
support to public measures which he considers of value, and by deed and word has
contributed to the material and intellectual development of his section.
Frederick Ault is the owner of a farm of two hundred and forty acres in Jefferson-
county, on which he is engaged in the raising of various crops, also in dairying and
stock raising. He was born in Monroe County, Wisconsin, June 20, 1863, a son of
Andrew J. and Elizabeth (Wagner) Ault. The father was a millwright and farmer,
devoting his life to those pursuits in order to provide for his family. The ancestral
line can be traced back to colonial days, representatives of the name participating
in the Revolutionary war.
Frederick Ault was a young lad when his parents removed from Wisconsin to
Nebraska and his education was acquired in the public schools of the latter state.
In his youth, however, his opportunities along that line were somewhat limited, for his
aid was needed in the work of the farm and he continued to assist in its cultivation
until the family left Nebraska to become residents of Colorado. Here the father took
up a homestead in Jefferson county but Frederick Ault and his brother Perry went
to Dillon, Colorado, and as partners engaged in farming and stock raising there for
twelve years. Returning to Jefferson county, Frederick Ault then purchased two
hundred and forty acres of land not far from Littleton and has since been actively
engaged in general farming and stock raising. He also makes dairying a feature of
his business and each branch of his activity is proving a profitable one. He displays
marked energy at all times in the conduct of his affairs and attacks everything
with a contagious enthusiasm. He early recognized the value of industry as a basic
element of success and as the years have passed has so directed his efforts that
splendid results have accrued.
Mr. Ault was married in Jefferson county on the Berdolet ranch on Deer creek
to Miss Jennie Ramey, a native of Virginia and a daughter of George and Leah (Wharf)
Ramey. She spent her girlhood days in the Old Dominion and was there educated.
She came to Colorado in 1885 and it was on the 15th of June, 1898, that she gave
her hand in marriage to Mr. Ault.
In politics Mr. Ault is a supporter of the socialist party but has never been an
aspirant for office, preferring to concentrate his time and energies upon his business
affairs, and his close application and persistency of purpose have brought him to a
creditable position among the successful farmers and stock raisers of his part of
ARTHUR H. HAWKINS.
Arthur H. Hawkins, assistant manager of sales with the Carnegie Steel Company
at Denver, had thorough preliminary educational training which well qualified him for
life's practical and responsible duties, and at every point in his career he has measured
up to the demands made upon him. He was born in CoUinsville, Pennsylvania, July
24, 1882, a son of the late Edmund Miller Hawkins, who was also born in the Keystone
7i8 HISTORY OF COLORADO
state and was of English descent. The family was founded in America by Major
Edmund Miller Hawkins, who came to the new world in 1826 and settled originally in
New Jersey. He built the first government tort at Sandy Hook and was a government
engineer. He was graduated on the completion of an engineering course in England
and through the greater part of his life was in the employ of the United States govern-
ment in a professional capacity. His son and namesake was born in 1840 and passed