away in 1882. He was reared in New Jersey and at the time of his death was super-
intendent of the Lehigh & Susquehanna Railroad. For the greater part of his life he,
too, was engaged in the railway business. He became a lieutenant of the Thirteenth
New Jersey Infantry at the time of the Civil war, in which he served throughout
the greater part of hostilities, but at the battle of Gettysburg he was wounded. In
his fraternal relations he was a Mason and in religious faith an Episcopalian, leading
the life of a devout Christian. He wedded Mary Louise Oliver, who was born in Whip-
pany, New Jersey, and was descended from one of three brothers who were the founders
of the family in the United States. William, the progenitor of her branch of the
family, came from England prior to the Revolutionary war, in which he bore arms in
defense of American interests. Mrs. Hawkins died in Plainfield, New Jersey, in 1899,
when forty-one years of age. She had become the mother of three children: Oliver
Ernest, now residing in Scranton, Pennsylvania; George F., a resident of New York;
and Arthur H,, of this review.
The last named was educated in the country schools of Middlesex county. New
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Jersey, and in a preparatory school at Lawrenceville, New Jersey. He started out at
the age of twenty years with the American Sheet Steel Company, accepting a clerical
position with that corporation in New York city. He remained with the company for
seven years and afterward entered into connection with the Carnegie Steel Company,
by which he has since been employed. He arrived in Denver on the 18th of August,
1905, to act as assistant manager of sales at this point and here he has now remained
for thirteen years, carefully and wisely directing the interests of the corporation in
this city. That his work is entirely satisfactory is indicated by his long term in the
On the 7th of November, 1907, Mr. Hawkins was married in Denver to Miss Mary
Thompson, a native of Chicago, Illinois, and a daughter of J. H. and Jennie V.
(Mathews) Thompson, who have passed away. Mr. and Mrs. Hawkins have a son,
Arthur H., who was born in Denver, August 29, 1908.
Politically Mr. Hawkins is a republican. He belongs to the Denver Athletic and
Lakewood Country Clubs and also to the Denver Civic and Commercial Association, while
his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Trinity Methodist church.
His military record covers service with the Seventh Regiment of the New York National
Guard. The story of his life is the record of earnest endeavor, for he started out with-
out financial aid or the influence of friends. Persistently and with strong purpose he
has worked his way upward, gaining advancement and promotion through individual
worth and ability, and now for thirteen years he has occupied a most responsible
position with the Carnegie Steel Company.
Jesse Rader, an honored pioneer now deceased, was a leader in the development
work in Fremont county. He was born in Greene county. Tennessee, May 25, 1829, and
in 1855 removed to Missouri, where he resided until 1S60, when he came to Colorado.
He resided in Summit county until 1864 and then went east for his family. In the fall
of that year he removed to Fremont county, crossing the plains in a prairie schooner
with two yoke of oxen. It was in 1854 that Mr. Rader was united in marriage to Miss
E. D. Bell, of Greene county. Tennessee. His family remained in the east in his first
trip to Colorado, but he went back for them in 1864. On the trip they brought with
them a white-faced cow which the first day had to be driven but after that followed
the oxen. She gave milk during all of the long journey and also enabled the family to
make butter. For many years thereafter she continued to give milk, but finally "Old
Whiteface" was killed in a washout.
The first farming which Mr. Rader did in Colorado was at Parkdale, on the south
side of the river. He sold butter in those days for a dollar per pound and he took a
wagon load of vegetables to Breckenridge which he sold for a thousand dollars. These
were grown on his Parkdale farm. The first work which Mr. Rader did in Fremont
HISTORY OF COLORADO 749
county was at the oil wells and he was paid four dollars per day by an old-timer of
the name of Murphy.
Turning his attention to the cattle business, Mr. Rader started with a "churn-dash"
calf. He developed his herd until he had fifteen hundred head of cattle and was also
the owner of three ranges. For some years he moved about considerably and for a
time he was running Judge Terry's famous ranch. He also resided at one period
in Florence and afterward engaged in mining in Summit county. Through the con-
duct of his business affairs along these various lines he obtained enough money,
especially through placer mining, to go east and pay off all of his indebtedness there.
Later he took up a claim in Garden Park, securing it by squatter's right, for no sur-
veys had been made at that period. He afterward removed to a ranch on the north
side of the river at Parkdale and subsequently sold that property. Finally he purchased
the farm on Four Mile, now known as the Rader ranch, and built thereon one of the
finest brick houses in Fremont county. It was erected forty years ago and is still in
excellent state of preservation, being today occupied by one of his granddaughters.
Just before his death a few years ago Mr. Rader built a fine home at Ninth and
Main streets in Canon City and there he passed away. Mrs. Rader later bought the
house at Third and Greenwood streets in Canon City and there her death occurred on
the 18th of May, 1915, when she was in the seventy-ninth year of her age, her birth
having occurred in Greeneville, Tennessee, on the 28th of October, 1836.
In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Rader were ten children, five of whom are living:
Mrs. Anna Gardner, a resident of Canon City; C. V. Rader, of Cripple Creek; Mrs.
Emma Carroll, of Canon City; Mrs. Perry Black, of Portland, Oregon; and L. P. Rader,
living in Colorado Springs.
Jesse Rader was twice sheriff of his county and was a leading supporter of the
democratic party. His wife was a lady of many splendid traits of character who took
an active part in church work and was loved by all tor her many kindly acts and
virtues. Both were highly esteemed as honored pioneer people and their work con-
stituted an important element in the social, intellectual, moral, material and political
progress of the community.
WILLIAM AUSTIN HAMILTON LOVELAND.
William Austin Hamilton Loveland, one of the great builders of Colorado, was
born in Chatham, Massachusetts, May 30, 1826, a son of the Rev. Leonard Loveland, a
Methodist minister, who in 1827 took his little family to a farm near Brighton. Illinois.
There he not only successfully tilled the soil but became noted as one of the most
powerful pulpit orators of his day. The elder Loveland had begun active life as a
sailor in the War of 1812 and for twenty months lay in a British prison. It was while
reading the Bible and hearing the sermons of some of the English preachers of his
denomination that he determined to make the ministry his life profession.
W. A. H. Loveland received his education in the public schools of Brighton and
later spent a brief period in McKendree College at Lebanon. Illinois. This was in
1845, just three years before the Mexican war, in which he enlisted as a wagon master,
being present in all the important engagements. At Chepultepec he was severely
wounded and in July, 1848, was invalided home.
Then came a strenuous, restless period in the young man's life. In 1S49 he took
an ox team across the plains from Illinois to Grass valley, California, where he built
the first house in that camp. He failed to find the riches he had dreamed of and went
with the William Walker expedition to Nicaragua, where eastern American capital
was seeking to build a canal across what became known later as the Nicaraguan
route. In 1851 he was back in his Illinois home, following mercantile life. But in
1859 the tale of the gold discoveries in Colorado brought back the lure of the west
and with a heavily laden train he started once more across the plains. He located on
the present site of Golden, a town which he tried for many years to make the metropolis
of Colorado. That was a struggle of the giants of that period and the men who won
out acknowledged at the finish that it had been one of the noted historical fights of
the west, for Golden was the entering point to the new gold discoveries on Clear creek.
Both the Gregory and Jackson diggings were the only gold discoveries of importance
in this period. Mr. Loveland at once assumed the position of leader and a large
part of the great army of gold hunters who had come to Colorado in 1860 were inspired
by his splendid energy and rare faith to settle in the town which he had created —
Golden, then a most pretentious rival to Denver. The first wagon road up Clear creek
750 HISTORY OF COLORADO
to the mines was built by him and even in those early days he conceived the plan of
following the wagon road with a railroad. He opened a coal mine close to Golden which
provided fuel for the factories and mills which were then being constructed on a small
scale. In his vision even then it was the shortest route to the Pacific and at his own
expense he had a survey of a Colorado road to Salt Lake City prepared and later sub-
mitted to the Union Pacific directorate in the hope that they would adopt it with
Golden as a railroad center. He scored many victories for Golden and from 1862 "until
1867 it was made the capital of the territory altogether through his influence. His
career as a railroad builder is fully detailed in the chapter on railroads and forms one
of the most thrilling epochs in tlie history of territory and state.
Mr. Loveland was a leader not only in the industrial affairs of this newly peopled
section but a power in its political affairs as well. At that period he was regarded as
the peer of great pioneers like Governor John Evans and General William Palmer. In
1877 when a town was laid out in Larimer county sixty miles north of Denver it was
named Loveland by his enthusiastic friends. Early in 1878 The Rocky Mountain News
was sold by William N. Byers to a group of republicans, but on July 16th. just at the
outset of a bitter state gubernatorial campaign, Mr. Loveland announced himself the
owner of the paper and that it would fight the cause of the democratic party. Mr.
Loveland was nominated for governor on the day following his purchase of the News
but in the election was defeated by Governor Frederick W. Pitkin. In the following
January he was the choice of his party for the United States senate, opposing Senator
N. P. Hill, who controlled the legislature.
In 1856 Mr. Loveland was married to Miranda Ann Montgomery, of Alton. Illinois.
They became the parents of two sons: Frank W.. who is now practicing law in Denver;
and William L.. who is manager of the Mine & Smelter Supply Company of Denver.
The father passed away at Lakewood, near Golden. December 17, 1894. Time is the
perspective which places all individuals in their true relative positions and time has
served to heighten the efforts and accentuate the value of the labors of Mr. Loveland,
whose work as an empire builder was indeed far-reaching and resultant.
HON. L. M. SUTTON.
Hon. L. M. Sutton, of Akron, Washington county, Colorado, not only represents
important business interests as president of the Sutton Land & Cattle Company but
he has also given much attention to public affairs and is at present efficiently serving
as mayor of Akron. He was born in Montgomery county, Iowa, November 10, 1872,
his parents being George W. and Verona (Ewing) Sutton, the former a native of
New York and the latter of Indiana. In 1858 the father removed to Montgomery county,
Iowa, and there took up a homestead which he improved and successfully cultivated
during the rest of his life. When the Union was threatened by the secession of the
southern states he enlisted in the Fifth Iowa Cavalry as sergeant and for three
years served during the great conflict between the north and the south. Before this
period he had served as a recruiting officer, ably assisting in raising the desired
quota in his section. He died in August, 1903, while his wife, surviving him tor
about ten years, passed away in January, 1913.
L. M. Sutton was reared under the parental roof and received his education in
Montgomery county, Iowa. Upon completing his course in the common schools he
took a business college course at Creston, that state, after which he returned home,
where he remained until nineteen years of age. He then bought a stock of imple-
ments at Bloomfield, Nebraska, and operated his machines for about one year, going
from farm to farm. At the end of that period he engaged in the real estate business,
successfully conducting an office of that kind until 1905, when he decided to remove to
Colorado, locating at Colorado Springs. There he remained for a year and a half,
when he went to Durango, Colorado, where he was connected with irrigation matters
until 1913. He then located in Denver, conducting a business in dry lands until
1915, when he came to Akron. Colorado, and engaged in the land, cattle and general
farming business. Since coming here he has been very successful and has at the
present writing several thousand acres in wheat. He has always followed the latest
methods and in all of his views expresses modern ideas and tendencies. He is a
forceful man and resourceful in making use of opportunities. He has never passed
by any chance which might be turned to profit and has thus proven himself a business
man of exceptional qualifications. It is therefore not remarkable that within a short
time he has achieved success in Akron and is now the president of the Sutton Land
HISTORY OF COLORADO 751
& Cattle Company. This company owns about ten thousand acres of valuable land
which is largely located in Washington county.
On September 15. 1896, occurred the marriage of L. M. Sutton and Ella Peters
and to this union were born two children, Vivian and Vannetta. The family occupies
a position of prominence in Akron and the elder daughter assists her father in the
office of the company.
Although Mr. Sutton's time is precious he has not neglected his public duties.
On the contrary he has taken an important part in public affairs. His ability for
administrative control found recognition in his election to the position of mayor of
Akron in April, 1918, and he is now giving his town an administration which fore-
shadows numerous much needed public improvements. He is able and efficient, look-
ing into the future and recognizing the demands of future generations and therefore
his election to the chief executive office of his town is to be considered a happy choice.
Moreover, Mr. Sutton had previous experience in the executive chair, for he served
as mayor of Bloomfield, Nebraska, for two terms. He has also always taken great stock
in public improvements, particularly road improvements, and serves at present as
president of the Burlington Highway Association, with headquarters in Akron. Politi-
cally he is a republican, loyal to his party, and was elected state representative for
Washington and Morgan counties. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episco-
pal church and fraternally he is connected with the Masonic order, the Woodmen
of the World and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the principles of brotherv
hood underlying these organizations guiding him in his conduct toward his fellowmen.
Reviewing the life course of Mr. Sutton, there is great credit due him for what he has
achieved and none can grudge him his success, for it has been won by honorable
methods. While he has obtained prosperity for himself he has in large measure con-
tributed to general development by his activities, and his life work thus constitutes
a valuable factor in the upbuilding of his section of the state.
JAMES HARVEY CRAWFORD.
James Harvey Crawford, who makes his home in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, but
during the winter resides in Denver, has not only to his credit a most interesting
Civil war record which entitles him to distinction but he is also numbered among those
hardy pioneers who assisted in breaking the ground in which the first seeds of civiliza-
tion were sown when this country was yet a wilderness and invited newcomers from
the east and as far as Europe to develop its acres into rich agricultural fields, to explore
and develop its mines and in later years to make this state an important industrial
district. In many ways James H. Crawford has contributed to progress along different
lines by ever taking that active and helpful interest which is productive of lasting
A native of Missouri, Mr. Crawford was born in Pettis county, near what is now
the city of Sedalia, on the 30th of March, 1845, a son of John E. and Sarilda Jane
(Donahue) Crawford. The first ancestor in the family to be identified with America
was Captain John Crawford, who crossed the Atlantic in colonial days and settled in
Pennsylvania. Later the family removed to Kentucky and thence to Missouri.
James H. Crawford was reared upon the parental farm in Missouri, attending
neighboring schools in the acquirement of his education and early in life giving his
attention to farming, assisting his father. Being brought up among frontier conditions
in Missouri, the pioneer spirit was early implanted in him and throughout his life it
has remained with him as a most valuable asset, building up that quality which gives
an individual the stamina to withstand hardships and vicissitudes. Although but a
boy of less than seventeen. Mr. Crawford enlisted as a private on the 10th of February,
1862, at Georgetown, Missouri, in Company E, Seventh Regiment of Missouri Cavalry,
readily making the sacrifice at the altar of his country, and so well did he discharge
his duties that his ability was recognized and he was promoted from time to time
until he received a commission. He served as first lieutenant in the famous Missouri
regiment commanded by Colonel John F. Phillips, which army unit covered itself with
glory during the long strife between north and south. Judge Phillips, the colonel, was
one of the great jurists of the west and for many years served on the United States
district bench. The lieutenant colonel of this regiment was Thomas T. Crittenden, later
famous as governor of Missouri. Lieutenant Crawford valiantly served for over three
years, fighting with the Trans-Mississippi department. He participated in a number
752 HISTORY OF COLORADO
of important and significant battles and also in smaller campaigns, ever giving to his
men an example of loyalty and patriotic devotion. By those who served under him
as well as by his superior officers he was well liked and esteemed. After the war
Lieutenant Crawford returned to civil life in Sedalia, where for eight years he gave his
attention to farming.
Only a month after being mustered out of the service. Mr. Crawford was married
on the 25th of May, 1865, to Miss Margaret Bourn, who was born on a farm adjoining
that on which his birth occurred, her natal day being January IS, 1849, She is a
daughter of John R. and Mary Ann (McCormick) Bourn. To Mr. and Mrs. Crawford
have been born four children. Lulie M. is now Mrs. C. W. Pritchett, of Denver, and has
two children, Margaret E. and Lulita Crawford. Logan Bourn, who is head of the
United States biological survey for Colorado, married Clara Lee Woolery. a native of
Leadville, by whom he has a daughter, Clara Leola. John Daniel, county clerk ajnd
recorder of Routt county, married Minnie M. Welch, of Denver, and has a son, James
Daniel, born June 23, 1908. Mary B. resides with her parents and is the only member
of the family born in Colorado, her sister and brothers being natives of Missouri.
In 1873 the family came to Colorado and Mr. Crawford has therefore been a resi-
dent of this state for forty-five years. They made their way direct to Routt county
and this was at the time that John Rollins, after whom RoUinsville and Rollins Pass
were named, was building the toll road over the mountains. In June, 1874, this road
was completed and James H. Crawford's wagon and his Missouri mules were the first
to use this road aside from the road-making outfit. Typical pioneer conditions still
maintained at that time. The Ute Indians were roaming over the region and settlers
were few and far between. Mr. Crawford built a cabin at what is now Hot Sulphur
Springs and there he remained for a year. In the meantime he explored the district
which now constitutes Routt county and he set his stakes in what is now the pros-
perous and well established town of Steamboat Springs. With wise foresight he antici-
pated that these famous springs would eventually become the site of a town and he com-
menced to make his improvements upon the place which he had staked out in July.
1874. There was not another settler in the valley at the time. In 1875 he decided to
make Steamboat Springs his permanent residence. Few were the cattle and horses
which he had when he started upon his career. It took him ten days to drive the first
herd to Leadville on account of the absence of roads, as he had to make a trail, follow-
ing valleys and gulches as they would permit of passage.
In 1876 several other families settled in the valley a few miles above the Craw-
ford place, these constituting their first white neighbors, although Indians were plenti-
ful, in fact conspicuously so. However, Mr. and Mrs. Crawford had the faculty of
getting along with them fairly well, despite the fact that the red men were rather
unruly at times. Other settlers kept away from this neighborhood at first largely
because of fear of the Indians. In 1879 the memorable and tragic Meeker massacre
occurred, details of which are given in the first volume of this work. After this sad
occurrence the government removed the Indians to another reservation and the settle-
ment of Routt county then began in earnest. In 1881 the town of Steamboat Springs
was founded and in the meantime the country around had been surveyed by the gov-
ernment and Mr. Crawford received title to the land upon which the town now
stands. Under the federal law he had a homestead, a timber claim and a preemption
claim and these holdings covered the entire original town. He succeeded in settling
this spot by interesting Boulder people in the town site and soon his efforts came to
fruition. This beautiful, energetic town, which stands as a monument to his inception,
has since been his home, although he- spends several months during the winter in
Denver, where the family residence is at No. 663 Gaylord street.
Mr. Crawford is highly honored as the original pioneer of Routt county, in the
development of which he has played such a conspicuous part. From the beginning
he has endorsed and furthered all movements that were for the advancement not only
of that county but the entire state, and although now in his seventy-fourth year, is ever
ready to lend his weighty support to worthy causes. Although he has never been an
office seeker, it is but natural that public offices have been thrust upon him and he
served as the first mayor of Steamboat Springs and also as its first postmaster. More-
over, he represented Routt county for two terms in the state legislature and succeeded
in having passed a number of bills which have proven of great benefit to the county
and state and are evidence of his foresight and consideration. While sitting in the
state legislature he had at heart the welfare of those whom he represented and ably
took care of their interests. When Routt county was created, the governor, after whom
this county was named, appointed him county judge and, moreover, Mr. Crawford
HISTORY OF COLORADO 753
was for some time superintendent of scliools. ever showing due appreciation for tlie
value of a thorough education. His allegiance has ever been given to the democratic
party and he loyally upholds its standards. Although entitled to a well earned rest,
Mr. Crawford still takes an active part in public affairs as well as administering his
private interests very successfully and has shown the deepest interest in war activi-
ties, to which he has largely and generously contributed. In 1915 there came to Mr.
and Mrs. Crawford an occasion which comes to few indeed, for in that year they were
permitted to celebrate their golden wedding, which event was participated in not only