by members of their immediate family and other relatives but also by hosts of friends.
who came from all over the state to honor this worthy pioneer couple on this occasion.
William Heebner is one of the active, energetic farmers of Adams county, busily
engaged In the cultivation of four hundred and ninety-five acres of land. He was born
in Schenectady, New York, October 6, 1880, a son of William and Julia (Snell) Heebner,
in whose family of three children William was the second In order of birth. The father
was a machinist by trade.
In the schools of the Empire state William Heebner pursued his education to the
age of fourteen or fifteen years and then started out to provide for his own support,
being employed at the General Electric Works for two years. In 1899 he arrived in
Colorado, making his way to Fort Collins, where he spent three months. Responding
to the country's call for troops for service in the Spanish-American war, he had en-
listed in the Thirty-fourth United States Volunteer Infantry, becoming a member of
Company M, and took part in several engagements, being discharged with the rank of
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
corporal. After the war was over he returned to Colorado and settled in Denver but
after a brief period removed to Adams county and for two years was in the employ
of his aunt, Mrs. Mary Snell.
Mr. Heebner then married and leased one hundred and sixty acres of land, which
he cultivated for two years. He is now leasing four hundred and ninety-five acres and
is actively and successfully engaged in farming, devoting his attention to the raising
of wheat and alfalfa, and he also has one hundred and forty-five acres planted to beans.
On the 2d of May, 1906, Mr. Heebner was married to Miss Elma Ora Brewer, a
daughter of James and Elizabeth Brewer. Mrs. Hebner was born in Arapahoe county.
Colorado, her people having come to this state at a very early period in its develop-
ment and improvement. By her marriage she has become the motheF of five daughters:
Elizabeth, Julia E., Alice 0., Edna May and Dorothy Mary.
Mr. Heebner is a democrat in his political views and he has served as school
director in District No. 97 but has never sought political office. His time and interests
have ever l)een concentrated upon his business affairs and he may truly be called a
self-made man, for from the age of fourteen years he has depended entirely upon his
own resources and whatever success he has achieved is the direct result of his per-
sistency of purpose, his energy and his Integrity in business affairs.
Charles Bradford is a public-spirited citizen of Boulder county who in the conduct
of business affairs devotes his attention to general farming. He is a typically western
man in his spirit of enterprise and progress but was born on the Atlantic coast, his
birth having occurred at Astoria on Long Island, June 7, 1844. His father, Eli Bradford,
served as an American soldier in the Mexican war. In the family were but two chil-
dren and Charles is the only survivor. He was reared and educated in Chicago, where
he resided until 1860. With the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted as a member
of Company I of the Third Illinois Cavalry, with which he served for four years and
eight months. He participated in several hotly contested engagements and on one occa-
sion was shot in the hip. General Grant was shot while riding Mr. Bradford's horse.
Mr. Bradford was promoted to the rank of quartermaster sergeant and remained at the
front until the country no longer needed his military aid in the preservation of the
Union. He was then sent to Fort Snelling, Minnesota, to assist in subduing the Indians,
who when the country was engaged in civil war went upon the warpath and con-
stantly menaced the safety of the settlers in that section. Eventually Mr. Bradford
Vol. IV— 48
754 HISTORY OF COLORADO
was mustered out at St. Paul, Minnesota. He then engaged In the bartering business,
which he followed for forty years.
In 1866 Mr. Bradford removed to Colorado and in 1883 purchased the farm at
Lyons upon which he now resides. It contains one hundred and seventy-nine acres
of arable land which he has carefully cultivated. He has sold a portion of the tract
and he has the remainder under ditch. His business affairs have been wisely and
carefully conducted and his indefatigable energy and close application have been
salient features in the attainment of his present success.
In 1868 Mr. Bradford was married to Miss Sarah White, who was born in Petersburg,
Illinois, a daughter of Aaron B. White. Mr. Bradford votes with the republican party,
which he has supported since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. For
thirty-six years he has been a member of the school board and the cause of education
finds in him a stalwart champion — one who does everything in his power to promote
the school interests of the community. Fraternally he is connected with the Red Men.
In his business career he has steadily advanced, for he started out in the world
empty-handed and his persistency of purpose has brought him to a place that enables
him to enjoy all of the comforts of life. He has now passed the seventy-fourth mile-
stone on life's journey and his has been a creditable record in which one of his strongly
marked characteristics has been his loyalty to duty in every relation to his country
through days of peace as well as in times of war. He has ever manifested the utmost
loyalty to the nation's starry banner and rejoices in the latest victory of the country
in her efforts in making the world safe for democracy.
Robert Hoery, engaged in the cultivation of three hundred and twenty acres of
land near Aurora, was born in Baden, Germany, on the 27th of March, 1856, a son of
Joseph and Bebeana Hoery. He acquired his education in schools of his native coun-
try and when seventeen years of age came to the United States, making his way to
Buffalo, New York, where he was employed for three years. He then came to Colo-
rado, making Denver his destination, and engaged in gardening near Smith's Lake
in Arapahoe county for six or seven years. He afterward removed to Harman,
Colorado, where he again followed gardening for three years, after which he took
up his abode on Colfax avenue, near Denver, living at that place for two years, dur-
ing which period he was also active in gardening. He then took up the occupation
of farming on Sixth avenue, where he continued for five or six years. He now has
three hundred and twenty acres of land which he leases and carries on general agri-
cultural pursuits, raising the crops best adapted to soil and climatic conditions here.
He annually gathers good harvests and his place, neat and thrifty in appearance,
indicates his careful supervision and progressive methods.
Mr. Hoery was married in Denver to Miss Kate Pellens, a native of New Orleans,
and to them were born eight children: .loseph; Edward; Leonard; Theodore, who
married Evelyn Lovejoy; Frederick; Helen, the wife of Walter Scott; Anna; and
Amelia. The wife and mother passed away in 1912. The religious faith of the
family is that of the Catholic church and Mr. Hoery also has membership with the
Grange, being interested in all that has to do with agricultural development and
progress. He has never regretted the fact that he left his native land to seek his
fortune in the new world. He has here found good opportunities and his record proves
that success may be obtained through persistent effort and well directed energy
without the aid of wealthy or influential friends. He has worked hard and is now
in possession of a comfortable competence.
Ferdinand Kuehn is now living retired from active business, although for many
years he was closely associated with ranching interests in the vicinity of Denver,
being numbered among the leading farmers of Arapahoe county. He was born in
Schoenlanke, P>russia, on the 2d of July, 1832, and is a son of David Kuehn. who was
a prominent citizen of his town, serving as treasurer there for thirty-five years. He
passed away in 1863, while his wife, who bore the maiden name of Carolina Leu,
HISTORY OF COLORADO 755
died when their son, Ferdinand, was but twenty-seven days old. She also left a daughter,
who is now Mrs. Amalia Mittelstadt,
In the land of his birth Ferdinand Kuehn spent the days of his boyhood and youth
and after pursuing a public school education he entered the army, serving for two
years between the ages of eighteen and twenty under his uncle, Captain August Leu.
He afterward determined to try his fortune in the new world and when twenty-four
years of age took passage on the steamship Oder, under Captain Swanson, and sailed
for America. Making his way to Chicago, he continued a resident of the city for
a year and then removed to St. Louis, where he remained until he received his naturali-
zation papers. In 1861 he went to Wyoming and was connected with the Ben Holliday
stage line for a year, after which he again went to his native country, spending almost
a year in visiting among old-time friends and relatives there. He returned to America
about the time that gold was first discovered in Montana and for three years remained
in the mines of that state, after which he engaged in freighting between St. Joseph,
Missouri, and Montana for a year.
On the expiration of that period Mr. Kuehn removed to St. Louis, Missouri, and
was engaged in freighting from that point to Denver until the fall of 1866, when he
became a resident of Colorado. Settling at Sand Creek, he removed the following year
to a ranch about fourteen miles from Denver, which he still owns and which he occu-
pied for many years. He there engaged in raising stock and hay and as time passed
he added many improvements to his place and converted it into an attractive and
valuable farm. At length, however, he retired from active business, turning his farm
over to the management and care of his nephew, Fred L. Amick, while he is now
enjoying the rest that he has earned.
In 1882 Mr. Kuehn was married to Miss Helene Wolter, a daughter of Peter Wolter,
who was a teacher of Germany and did not cross the Atlantic to the new world until
he reached advanced age.
Mr. Kuehn gives his political allegiance to the republican party and has been a
reader of the New York Tribune since 1868. The cause of education has ever found
in him a stalwart champion and for a number of years he served on the school board
of his district. He has a wide acquaintance in Colorado, where he has now lived for
more than half a century, witnessing throughout this extended period the continuous
growth and development of the state and taking active interest in all that is accom-
plished in connection with the progress and upbuilding of the section in which he
lives. For many years he was a most active and energetic farmer and his success was
the direct result of persistent and earnest labor, his life record indicating what may
be accomplished through individual effort.
CHARLES BARNES FERRIN.
Charles Barnes Ferrin. president of the Out-West Printing & Stationery Company of
Colorado Springs, in which connection he is developing a business of most gratifying
proportions, deserves more than passing notice in this work inasmuch as he has risen
from a most humble position, gradually working his way upward step by step through
persistent energy and laudable ambition.
He was born in Watertown, New York, in 1863, a son of Foster M. and Teresa A.
(Barnes) Ferrin. The paternal grandfather, Joseph Ferrin, and his son, Foster M.
Ferrin, were marble dealers, carrying on business along that line for many years, the
latter being a marble dealer of Watertown, New York. In the Empire state he wedded
Miss Barnes and passed away at Watertown in the year 1907. The death of his wife,
however, occurred in Colorado Springs in 1886.
Charles B. Ferrin is indebted to the public school system of his native city for
his educational opportunities. He left home in 1880, when a youth of seventeen
years, and made his way to Colorado Springs, where lived his uncle, James P. Barnes,
who was proprietor of a hardware store. Mr. Ferrin spent a year in the employ of
his uncle and then entered the employ of the Gazette Printing Company as a press
feeder, remaining with that company until 1887, when the business was reorganized
under the name of the Out-West Printing & Stationery Company. This was incorporated
in 1897. Mr. Ferrin went upon the road as traveling representative of the company
and so continued from 1892 until 1910, building up an extensive trade for the house.
In November, 1909, he was made general manager of the Out-West Printing & Stationery
Cordpany and on the 21st of December, 1914, was chosen president as well as general
756 HISTORY OF COLORADO
manager. In November, 1916, by purchasing the interests of the others in the business
he became sole proprietor and is now conducting an extensive trade which has been
largely the outcome of his persistency of purpose and his capability as a salesman.
He is likewise a director of the Elkton Coal Company and one of the directors of the
Fanny Rawlins Gold Mining Company.
In his political views Mr. Ferrin is a republican and was formerly very active in
party ranks but concentrates the greater part of his time and attention at the present
upon his business interests and duties. From 1887 until 1889 Inclusive he served as
chief of the Colorado Springs Volunteer Fire Department and for two years prior to
that time had been asssitant. Fraternally he is connected witli the Knights of Pythias
and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, and his religious faith is indicated by his
membership in the Presbyterian church. His advancement in the business world in
the last ten years has been almost phenomenal, indicating what can be accomplished
through individual effort, stimulated by laudable ambition. His career illustrates the
fact that power grows through the exercise of effort and that difficulties and obstacles
vanish as mists before the morning sun when one is resolute, determined and reliable.
ADELBERT W. STARBUCK, D. D. S.
Dr. Adelbert W. Starbuck, one of the best known professors of dental surgery in
the west, his ability as an educator brought him prominently to the front, while his
skill in active practice is also most widely acknowledged, was born in Belmont county,
Ohio, May 14, 1877, a son of Jesse and Mary Jane (Bundy) Starbuck. who were a)lso
natives of the Buckeye state. They removed to Nebraska in 1S83 and the father, who
had engaged in carriage manufacturing in Ohio, afterward turned his attention to farm-
ing in Nebraska, where he likewise engaged in the grain business. His last days were
spent in Kansas, where he passed away in June, 191S, while his wife died in that
state in 1915. They were the parents of six children, five of whom are still living:
Caleb B., J. Clinton, Clyde P., Adelbert W. and Mrs. Edith Bourquin. They also
lost a daughter, Clara.
Dr. Starbuck was only about six years of age when his parents removed with
their family to Nebraska and in the public and high schools of Hebron, that state, he
pursued his education until he was ready to enter the State University of Iowa as a
dental student. He was graduated with honors there in 1898 and began his profession
in connection with the dental department of the university. Later, however, he turned
his attention to the private practice of dentistry in Iowa City, Iowa, and subsequently
he entered the medical department of the University of Iowa, where he studied for
two years. In October. 1907, he arrived in Denver and became connected with the
Colorado College of Dental Surgery, the dental department of the University of Denver,
being made superintendent of the school, which through his efforts and energy has
been brought up to a high standard. In fact he is one of the best known professors
of dental surgery in the west. His exposition of any subject is always clear and lucid
and he is at all times thoroughly abreast of the latest scientific researches and dis-
coveries which have to do with dental surgery. He is now professor of clinical dentis-
try and he is an honored member of the Denver Dental Association, the Colorado State
Dental Association and the National Dental Association.
On the 27th of July, 1S9S, Dr. Starbuck was married to Miss Gertrude E. Durno,
of Springville, Iowa, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Durno. Fraternally he Is
connected with the Knights of Pythias. While he has never sought to figure in any
public light outside the strict path of his profession, he has become well known and
prominent in Denver, standing very high in the regard of his fellow towi
THOMAS N. BEASLEY.
General agricultural pursuits and stock raising have for a number of years en-
gaged the attention of Thomas N. Beasley, who is numbered among the substantial
citizens of Boulder county, Colorado, having been born in this state, December 11, 1870,
a son of J. J. and Eliza (Jones) Beasley, of whom more extended mention is made in
connection with the sketch of Richard M. Beasley on other pages of this work.
Thomas N. Beasley was reared under the parental roof and in the acquirement of
his education attended the common schools, subsequently learning efficacious methods
HISTORY OF COLORADO 757
of farming under the guidance of his father. Upon attaining his majority he decided
to make that occupation his life's worlt and engaged in farming and stock raising
independently, buying his present farm in 1S93, when but twenty-three years of age.
He now owns one hundred and sixty acres, all of which is under ditch and is watered
from the Boulder & White Rock ditch. He has in addition to this farm a half interest
in nine hundred and sixty acres of pasture land which is quite valuable and, more*
over, he is a director of the ditch company and a stockholder in the Farmers National
Bank of Longmont.
In 1894 Mr. Beasley married Miss Grace R. Miller, also a native of this state, her
parents being George C. and Emma L. (Taylor) Miller, natives of New York state and
Illinois respectively. George C. Miller has passed away but his widow is still living.
To Mr. and Mrs. Beasley were born three children. Rose L., George J. and Modesto G.
On November 7. 1909, Mrs. Beasley died, her untimely demise causing great sorrow to
the family as well as to many friends, all of whom esteemed in her a woman of high
qualities of character and heart who had greatly endeared herself to all those who had
come in contact with her. She was laid to rest in the Burlington cemetery.
Mr. Beasley is a democrat in his political affiliation but has never had ambition
for public office, preferring to give his whole attention to his private affairs, although
he keeps well informed upon all questions having to do with local and national politics
as well as local affairs. For twelve years he has served as a member of the school
board and the cause of education has received new impetus through his activities on
the board, Mr. Beasley always standing for advancement and improvement in regard
to school facilities. He is now numbered among the prosperous agriculturists of Boul-
der county and none can grudge him his success, for it has been honestly won and is
Abraham Howarth, whose carefully directed business interests made him in time
the owner of a valuable ranch property of five hundred acres, which he cultivated for
a long period, is now living retired in Littleton, where he occupies an attractive home
that stands as the visible evidence of his life of well directed energy and thrift. He
was born near Manchester, England, April 7, 1837, and has therefore passed the eighty-
first milestone on life's journey. While spending his boyhood days in tlie home of his
parents, David and Mary (Mills) Howarth, he attended school during halt of the day
for a short time, while his remaining time was spent in the cotton mills, where he early
began work. He was a little lad of but seven years when he started to provide for
his own support by sweeping out the alleys in the mills. After a year he became a
bobbin boy. That he was diligent and faithful is indicated in the fact that he won
promotion from time to time until at the age of eighteen he was overlooker, being the
youngest man who ever occupied that position in the mills.
The opportunities of the new world, however, attracted Mr. Howarth, and believing
that he might more readily win success <^n this side of the Atlantic, he came to
America in 1857, landing after a voyage of seven weeks and tour days on one of the
old-time sailing vessels. He resided for a time in the east and then went to Chicago,
Illinois, and soon afterward secured work upon a farm in McLean county, that state.
He was totally unfamiliar with farm work by reason of his experience along other
lines, but his labors proved satisfactory to his employer. It was while in McLean
county that he was married in Bloomington, Illinois, on the 21st of October, 1859, to
Miss Alice Barlow, who was born near Manchester. England, and to whom he had
been engaged before coming to the United States. Her parents were Robert and Sarah
(Dutson) Barlow and the children born of this marriage are: Abe, who was born in
England and became his fathers' assistant on the Colorado farm; Sarah, the wife of
Arthur B. Mitchell, of Littleton, and the mother of a daughter, Alice Helen; and Alice,
who was born on the farm in Douglas county.
After cultivating a rented farm in McLean county, Illinois, for some time Mr.
Howarth returned to England in 1862 and spent six years there. He was not content,
however, after having resided for a considerable period in America, and on again com-
ing to the United States he secured employment in a cotton factory in St. Louis. After-
ward he became a resident of Kansas City, where he worked in a packing house, and
during the three years which he there spent he was joined by his family. He removed
from Kansas City to Denver, where he built a residence, but in 1875 took up his abode
upon a farm on section 12, township 6 south, range 69 west, in Douglas county. His
758 HISTORY OF COLORADO
financial resources were limited at tiiat time. For nine years he cultivated the land
and made considerable money but did not make any special effort to save. He finally
concluded that it would be wiser to economize somewhat and purchase the place and
in three years' time he had acquired enough through his industry and economy to
enable him to buy one hundred and seventy-five acres of the land. To this he added
from time to time until he was in possession of an excellent farm of five hundred
acres. He continued to cultivate his place most successfully for a long period but
eventually put aside business cares and now lives retired in Littleton, enjoying the
rest which he has truly earned and richly deserves.
In his political views Mr. Howarlh has always been a republican since becoming
a naturalized American citizen, but at local elections where no issue is involved he
casts an independent ballot. In 1S97 he was elected county commissioner, although
this was directly opposed to his wishes, as he has never cared to hold office. However,
he has served as school director for a number of years, for the cause of education is
one in which he is deeply interested. He has never regretted his determination to
return to the new world, for here he has found pleasant surroundings and good busi-
ness opportunities and as the years have passed lie has steadily advanced in public
regard and in material prosperity. He is today one of the venerable citizens of Little-
ton, respected by all who know him.
ROLLA AND FANNIE DEVORE.
Rolla and Fannie Devore are two of the well known and prominent residents of
Elbert county, actively identified with all that pertains to the development of the agri-
cultural interests and the betterment of the farming people of the state. Rolla Devore
was born in Champaign couny, Illinois, in 1866 and was educated in the schools of his
native state. He is a son of John and Nancy (CruU) Devore, both of whom were
representatives of old families of Indiana. In 1886 Rolla Devore, who through the
period of his youth and early manhood had been engaged in farming in Champaign
county, Illinois, removed to Kansas, settling near Stafford, that state. There he carried
on farming for more than two decades and when twenty-two years had passed he came
to Colorado, homesteading in Elbert county in 1908. He has since been located within