William C Gilman.

The celebration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the settlement of the town of Norwich, Connecticut, and of the incorporation of the city, the one hundred and twenty-fifth, July 4, 5, 6, 1909: online

. (page 5 of 19)
Online LibraryWilliam C GilmanThe celebration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the settlement of the town of Norwich, Connecticut, and of the incorporation of the city, the one hundred and twenty-fifth, July 4, 5, 6, 1909: → online text (page 5 of 19)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mond, secretary; Grosvenor Ely, assistant secretary; John
Eccles, John McWilliams, William A. Aiken, Jeremiah J.
Desmond, P. H. Harriman, Charles W. Gale, Arthur D.
Lathrop, John Porteous, William B. Young, Henry A.
Tirrell, James B. Shannon, Charles D. Noyes, Albert L.
Potter, Timothy C. Murphy, Howard L. Stanton, Albert
S. Comstock, Frank T. Brown.

Nominating Committee William B. Young, chairman ;
Dr. P. H. Harriman, Henry A. Tirrell, Charles W. Gale.

Finance Committee Charles R. Butts, chairman ; Max-
ton Holms, secretary; Waterman R. Burnham, James B.
Shannon, Frank L. Woodard.

Literary Exercises and Speakers Charles E. Chandler,
chairman ; W. Tyler Olcott, secretary ; William H. Shields,
Rev. Lewellyn Pratt, Rev. Hugh Treanor, Edwin W.
Higgins, John M. Thayer, A. Walton Pearson.



SUB-COMMITTEES. 59

Printing and Publicity Frederic W. Gary, chairman;
John M. Lee, secretary; W. H. Oat, F. H. Pullen, W. B.
L. Cranston, George A. Davis, Frank H. Allen.

Ways and Means Costello Lippitt, chairman; C.
Leslie Hopkins, secretary; Charles Billings Chapman,
Charles H. Phelps, James H. Welles, Robert W. Perkins,
Frank L. Woodard, Charles W. Gale, C. Henry Osgood,
Arthur H. Brewer, Charles L. Hubbard, Arthur J. Dawley,
Oliver L. Johnson, Winslow T. Williams, Archibald
Mitchell, Charles D. White, John Eccles, Henry H. Gallup,
Henry G. Peck, George H. Pratt, James W. Semple, Patrick
F. Bray, George W. Davis, Henry Gebrath, Dr. George
Thompson, Dr. L. I. Pratte, John A. Brady, Albie L. Hale,
Grosvenor Ety, Frank H. Smith, Charles D. Noyes, Henry
W. Tibbits, William F. Hill, John Donovan, Albert L.
Potter.

Invitation Committee William H. Shields, chairman;
John P. Huntington, secretary; Bela P. Learned, Wallace
S. Allis, Zebulon R. Robbins, Grosvenor Ely, Gilbert S.
Raymond, Jonathan Trumbull, Dr. Patrick Cassidy, Charles
B. Lee, Frank T. Maples, F. J. Leavens, Charles H. Haskell,
Miss Emily Gilman, Miss Ella A. Fanning, Miss C. C.
Gulliver, Mrs. B. P. Bishop, Mrs. Gardiner Greene, Mrs.
William H. Shields, William B. Young.

Programme Committee Winslow T. Williams, chair-
man ; Grosvenor Ely, John Porteous.

Amusement Committee Nelson J. Ayling, chairman;
Arthur L. Peale, secretary; Allyn L. Brown, Walter M.
Buckingham, George A. Keppler, Charles E. Case, Charles
H. Preston, Henry L. Bennett, John B. Oat, Joseph C.
Bland, William A. Breed, John F. Byrne, Ira W. Jackson,
W. Harry Jennings, Dwight H. Hough, Dr. D. J. Shahan,
James C. E. Leach, George P. Madden.

Automobile Parade Horatio Bigelow, chairman ; John
L. Mitchell, secretary; Calvin H. Frisbie, James L. Hub-
bard, Dr. Charles Osgood, W. Russell Baird, Charles W.



6O NORWICH QUARTER MILLENNIUM.

Briggs, George W. Carroll, Arthur J. Dawley, Chauncey A.
Sherman, Dr. Witter K. Tingley, M. B. Ring, G. Everett Hall,
Julian L. Williams, John F. Rogers, Calvin L. Swan.

Decorating Committee Zebulon R. Robbins, chair-
man ; Herbert L. Knox, secretary ; Otto E. Wulf, S. Alpheus
Gilbert, Frank W. Browning, Norris S. Lippitt, Henry J.
Steiner, Daniel J. Hinchey, Frank J. King, Henry T. Nelson,
Frank E. Parker, John J. Somers, Edward H. Tibbits, E. A.
Cudworth, Dr. George A. Comeau, Amos A. Browning,
Joseph W. Gilbert.

Fireworks W T alter F. Lester, chairman ; Arthur E.
Story, secretary; Tyler Cruttenden, George A. Allen,
William B. Young, Timothy C. Murphy, John T. Clark.

Headquarters Committee The Society of the Founders
of Norwich.

Historical Committee Frederic P. Gulliver, William C.
Gilman, Frank A. Robinson, William B. Birge, Jonathan
Trumbull, Capt. L. R. Jewett, Albert J. Bailey, B. P. Bishop,
Adams P. Carroll, Aron W. Dickey, Shepard B. Palmer,
Horace Rogers, Albert W. Smith.

Loan Exhibition Faith Trumbull Chapter, D. A. R.,
Mrs. Ellen K. Bishop, regent.

Music Committee James L. Case, chairman ; Frederick
W. Lester, secretary; Archibald Mitchell, Charles D. Geer,
George A. Kies, Eugene Wallner, William F. Habekotte,
Ebenezer Learned Frank L. Farrell, Arthur B. Blackledge,
Herbert T. Miller, William B. Young, Jr., Charles D.
Gallup.

Reception and Entertainment of Distinguished Guests
Winslow Tracy Williams, chairman ; William R. Jewett,
secretary; William A. Aiken, Arthur H. Brewer, Charles
L. Hubbard, Charles D. White, Gardiner Greene, Oliver L.
Johnson, Dr. Leonard B. Almy, Charles Bard, Willis A.
Briscoe, Archibald Mitchell, Dr. Patrick Cassidy, Frederick
L. Osgood, Henry F. Parker, William H. Palmer, John



SUB-COMMITTEES. 6l

C. Averill, William D. Fitch, William A. Norton, James B.
Shannon.

Schools Committee Henry A. Tirrell, chairman; Clif-
ton H. Hobson, secretary; Nathan L. Bishop, William D.
Tillson, Rev. Hugh Treanor, F. J. Werking, Rev. James J.
Smith, Bertram F. Dodd, John B. Stanton, Rev. John
Ambot, Walter E. Canfield, Rev. Arthur O'Keefe, William
G. Tarbox, F. H. Bushnell.

Transportation Committee Charles H. Preston, chair-
man; Joseph D. Haviland, secretary; Frank H. Smith,
Charles J. Winters, Alonzo R. Aborn, Ansel A. Beckwith,
Gilbert L. Hewitt, John A. Moran, Henry F. Ulmer, Charles
E. Whittaker, Benjamin Hall, Calvin L. Harwood.

Committee on Public Safety Dr. P. H. Harriman,
chairman ; Frederick Symington, secretary ; Howard L.
Stanton, John Murphy, George E. Fellows.

Procession Committee Dr. P. H. Harriman, chairman ;
Charles W. Gale, Hugh Blackledge, Herbert M. Lerou,
Fred A. Fox, Charles S. Holbrook, John D. Moulton,
William L Woodward, James Graham, Irving J. Willis,
Edward T. Burke, Michael C. Higgins, John J. Corkery,
Rutherford C. Plaut, Charles H. Preston, architect; Dr. D.
J. Shahan, Norris S. Lippitt, J. Herbert George, John Wood-
mansee, Dr. James J. Donohue, John P. Murphy; Zebulon R.
Robbins, Arcanum Club ; James C. MacPherson, Somerset
Lodge, F. Leon Hutchins, St. James Lodge, Charles Billings
Chapman, Columbian Commandery, Masonic; Frank J.
King, Robert A. Brown, Frank M. Green, Harold T.
Sargent, Odd Fellows; Capt. John A. Hagberg, Capt.
William G. Tarbox, Military ; Vine S. Stetson, G. A. R. ;
George E. Zimmerman, Sons of Veterans; Ida R. Green,
W. R. C., G. A. R. ; Michael J. Dwyer, Frank J. Murtha,
Terrence Hanlon, A. O. H. ; C. W. Worthington, John H.
Taylor, A. O. U. W. ; William R. Stevens, B. P. O. E.;
Michael J. Malone, C. B. L. ; Herbert B. Gary, Chelsea Boat
Club ; S. Howard Mead, Colonial Club ; Samuel Kronig,



62 NORWICH QUARTER MILLENNIUM.

Benevolent Hebrew Society; Mary Washburn, Daughters
of Liberty; Maria L. Button, Degree of Pocahontas;
William Weldon, Patrick F. Bray, Albert Thorp, Allen
Boyle, F. of A. ; Percival Armstrong, Eagles ; James T.
Carey, Heptasophs; Morris Rosin, I. O. B. A.; James C.
Donovan, Michael J. Kelley, James Grierson, Labor Union ;
P. F. Murtagh, Antoine Paquette, K. of C. ; Napoleon
Beausoliel, K. of St. L. ; Dr. George A. Comeau, Union St.
J. C. B.; Archibald C. Everett, Willard H. Palmer, M. W.
A. ; Percy H. Wilcox, Margaret R. Rohan, N. E. O. P. ; C.
Amos Johnson, Norwich Club; Charles D. White, Golf
Club; N. L. Bishop, Roque Club; William J. Curran, Typo-
graphical Union; Herman Alofsin, O. B. A.; Richard
Thoma, Ida Weiss, O. D. H. S. ; Anna Hammer, O. of V. ;
John Gamble, O. U. A. M.; Alexander Jordan, Hormisdas
Gaucher, Royal Arcanum ; Ludwig Anderson, Swedish
Political Club ; John Lindroth, Scandinavian Benefit
Society; Bruno Pedace, Joseph Podurgrel, St. John's
Polish Society; Stanislaus Marchiel, St. George Polish
Society; Isidore Boucher, St. Jean de Baptiste; Maurice J.
Buckley, St. Joseph's Sodality; John F. Amburn, Franklin
Bowen, K. of P. ; Cesare Del Carlo, Convezzo D'Atri,
Italian Society ; John Seidel, Maennerchor-Taftville ; Miss
Harriet G. Cross, W. C. T. U. ; Mary Foley, St. Anne's
Temperance ; Walter G. Casey, St. Mary's Temperance ;
P. F. Shea, Father Mathew's Temperance; Bryan Hanlon,
Sacred Heart Temperance Society; Miss Mary E. Hartie,
St. Cecilia's T. A. Society ; Dr. Edward J. Brophy, Holy Name
Society; Wm. McClafferty, The Evergreen Club; Mrs. P. H.
Harriman, Catholic Woman's Club ; Louis Andrews,
Tierney Cadets ; Mrs. D. J. Shahan, Ladies' Catholic
Society; George Greenberger, Congregation Sons of Israel;
S. Zellinger, Congregation Sons of Joseph ; W. Stefanski,
Polish School; William Caruthers and William A. Wells,
U. S. Government; Henry F. Ulmer, Charles B. Lee, Wm.
G. Henderson, Charles D. Gallup, Frederic W. Cary, Henry
W. Tibbits, Joseph D. Aiken, John F. Rogers, J. W. Curtis,
W. I. Woodward, Philip Henault, Norwich Board of Trade.



MEETINGS OF EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE. 63

Hospitality Committee Lewis R. Church, chairman;
Albert H. Chase, Charles P. Bushnell, Herman D. Rallion,
Ebenezer Allen, Rollin C. Jones, Frank Hempstead, Reuben
S. Bartlett, Francis E. Beckwith, Gurdon L. Bidwell, J.
Frank Clark, Archa W. Coit, Arthur G. Crowell, John H.
Ford, Currie Gilmour, Otis B. Hall, Justin Holden, Edwin
Oldfield, Henry B. Davenport, Woodbury O. Rogers, F. E.
Pattison, C. D. Boynton, D. J. Hayes, William J. Farrell,
Louis Mabrey, James Constanti, M. Louis DeMonte, Frank
E. Martin, A. A. Adam, George E. Driscoll, Edward Price,
Edwin L. Burnap.

Edwin A. Tracy was, ex officio, a member of all sub-
committees.

All these committees engaged in their respective duties
with due diligence, holding frequent meetings and keeping
records of their proceedings, which were reported to the
executive committee by its ubiquitous chairman, who was
here, there and everywhere, giving close personal attention
to innumerable details.

By a vote of the executive committee all moneys re-
ceived were paid over to Col. Charles W. Gale, treasurer
of the general committee, and disbursed by him only on
vouchers for expenses certified and approved by the sub-
committee incurring the expense and by the finance com-
mittee. The records of these sub-committees, and the
remarkably full and complete records of the general com-
mittee and the executive committee, kept by the secretary,
Gilbert S. Raymond, will be deposited in the town clerk's
office for the information of whom it may concern.

The details of the work of the sub-committees would
fill a volume, but, however essential they were it must
suffice here to advert only to some of the more important
things actually accomplished.

On July 29, 1908, on motion of Col. Charles W. Gale,
it was voted that the celebration be held on Tuesday and
Wednesday, September 7 and 8, 1909. Subsequently
the advertising committee reported the printing of half



64 NORWICH QUARTER MILLENNIUM.

a million souvenir postal cards in eight colors, showing fifty
different views in the town, to be furnished to dealers at
a nominal price for advertising purposes and otherwise,
without expense to the committee. The sentiment of the
executive committee as expressed by the president, by
the chairman, by Gen. Aiken, and others was that the
celebration should be conducted on the highest plane, free
from such catch-penny schemes as advertisements on pro-
grammes or similar devices, and supported by direct con-
tributions from the town, city, and private citizens, with
such dignity that no criticism could follow.

The ways and means committee reported an appro-
priation of $5,000 from the town of Norwich, which was
subsequently approved and validated by the General
Assembly. The chairman reported progress from time to
time in behalf of the sub-committees in regard to literary
exercises, badges, letter heads, invitations, expenses, etc.

On April 6, 1909, the president, Mr. Williams, and
the chairman, Mr. Tracy, gave a detailed account of their
visit to the President of the United States for the purpose
of inviting him to honor the celebration with his presence.
He expressed not only willingness but desire to accept the
invitation, on the only free date at his command, which
would be July 5. After prolonged discussion in which all
the members expressed their views it was resolved that
the vote naming September 7 and 8, 1909, for the days of
the celebration, be rescinded, and that July 5 and 6 be
substituted therefor. The action of the committee was
acquiesced in, even by those who feared that the celebration
might be rather an ovation to the President of the United
States than an historic commemoration, and that the time
for preparation, reduced to sixty days, would be insufficient.
But, as in the days of Nehemiah the son of Hachaliah, when
the walls of Jerusalem were to be rebuilt, all "the people
had a mind to work," so the people of Norwich, as they
have never failed to do in an emergency, rose to the occasion
with one heart and voice, and thus a successful celebration
was assured in advance.



ACTIVITIES OF COMMITTEES. 6$

In 1859 a young girl who was present at the bi-centen-
nial celebration prided herself that she was entitled to wear
two silk badges, one as a native of Norwich, and one as
the descendant of a native, whereas, her mother, although
she was the wife of a native and the mother of a native,
was permitted to wear only the less distinguished decora-
tion of an invited guest. In 1909, fifty years later, all that
was changed. Such fine distinctions were ignored, and
to every one, whether native born, or descendant of a
founder, or an adopted fellow citizen of foreign ancestry,
was extended the right hand of fellowship provided that
he knew the shibboleth well enough to make his Norwich
rhyme with porridge.

The few weeks intervening before the day appointed
for the celebration were fully occupied by the committees
in planning and discussing, considering and reconsidering,
ways and means for the execution of a thousand important
details. A general programme was adopted, five thousand
invitations were issued, contracts were made for badges,
flags, electrical displays, fire-works, bands of music for
parades and concerts, for reviewing stands, for a military
parade and for feeding the soldiers, for an exhibition of
historical tableaux, for the erection of an imposing plaster
statue called "The Founders," for hotel accommodations
for distinguished guests, for reduced railway fares, for a
loan exhibition by the Daughters of the American Revolu-
tion, and for the unveiling of a memorial fountain under
their auspices, for the exhibition of the airship, "California
Arrow," for athletic sports and a harbor parade, and for
a grand military and civic procession, all of which, and
other interesting events, are fully set forth in the official
programme which will follow. A committee of public
health and safety, of which Dr. P. H. Harriman was chair-
man, was appointed, and proclamations were issued by
the mayor of the city and the first selectman of the town
restraining the use of fire crackers and other explosives.

The historical committee, of which Dr. Gulliver was
chairman, undertook to place suitable markers on one hun-



66 NORWICH QUARTER MILLENNIUM.

dred and fifty interesting historic spots in the town, and
issued a large edition of an explanatory handbook of thirty
pages, entitled "Persons and Places in the Ancient Town
of Norwich," which will be re-printed in this volume; and,
finally, a special committee, consisting of Dr. Frederic P.
Gulliver, the Rev. George H. Ewing, William C. Gilman,
and Frederick T. Sayles, was appointed to take charge of
services on Sunday at the up-town burial ground.

As the day approached intense interest was felt as to
the arrival of the President; would it be prevented by the
failure of congress to act on the pending tariff bill; would
he come from Washington or from Beverly via New Lon-
don or Willimantic ; at what hour would he arrive ; could
his private car run with safety on the Vermont Central
tracks? All these debatable questions were happily settled.
When the time came every man was at his post. He was
expected to do his duty, and, what is more, he did it. All
the parts of the machine were in such perfect adjustment
that no rehearsal, no tuning up, no trial trip was needed.
The moment the signal was given the wheels began to move
like clockwork, without a jar or a jolt, and so continued
without any mishap or accident.

Services at the Up-town Burying Ground.

For the first of the public services in the celebration
of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the settle-
ment of the town, Norwich invited her sons and daughters
to a service on Sunday afternoon, July 4, that fittingly
commemorated the thirty-five Founders. It was held at
four o'clock in the old Norwich Town burying ground,
where a throng of more than five hundred people were
assembled among the moss-covered stones that marked the
last resting place of many of the forefathers.

The spot chosen for the service was on the home lot
of the Rev. James Fitch, where a tall weeping willow over-
looking the attentive audience bore upon its trunk the
names of four of the Founders buried in this plot Thomas



SERVICES AT OLD BURYING GROUND. 67

Adgate, Simon Huntington, John Post, and Thomas
Waterman, as well as that of Christopher Huntington, Jr.,
the first of the males born in the settlement. Patriotic
sentiments re-kindled by the day and by the graves of
heroes of the American Revolution, pious remembrances
of the Founders, and tender memories of nearer ancestors
and kindred combined to make the occasion the most
interesting and impressive event of the celebration.

The ushers who arranged the audience in front of the
gentle slope where the speakers stood were George F. Hyde,
John E. Luther, Jeremiah Murphy, Thomas Casey, William
Wells Lyman, and R. Huntington Gulliver.

Dr. Frederic P. Gulliver was in charge of the
service, which opened with the hymn, "O God, Our
Help in Ages Past," sung with full-toned melody by a choir
directed by Frederick W. Lester. The singers were Mrs.
Charles Tyler Bard, Mrs. Frank Herbert Merrill, Miss
Louise Fuller, Miss Elsie D. Brand, Mrs. Frederic S. Young,
Mrs. A. T. Sullivan, Mrs. George T. Lord, Mrs. William G.
Haselden, Miss Belle T. Service, and Louis A. Wheeler,
James Henderson, Louis Brown, George A. Turner, F. S.
Birchard, James L. Case, Walter F. Lester, William Oddy,
and C. D. Gallup.

The welcome in the name of the Founders was given
by Dr. F. P. Gulliver, who said :

In the name of the Founders of Norwich, the thirty-five
original proprietors, to whom was granted by Uncas the
nine miles square tract, I bid you one and all welcome to
our 25oth anniversary celebration. I have been asked to do
this, first, as a life-long resident of Norwich; second, as a
descendant of one-third of the original proprietors who 250
years ago laid the foundation of Norwich; and, third, as one
who has confidence that before our 3OOth anniversary celebra-
tion, Norwich will have outgrown the condition of rival
villages, and will have become the undoubted leader of eastern
Connecticut in business, commerce, transportation, etc.



68 NORWICH QUARTER MILLENNIUM.

We stand this afternoon in a portion of the home lot of
the Rev. James Fitch, which in 1699 was opened as a burial
place for Norwich. I ask you to join in the invocation offered
by the successor of Mr. Fitch, the Rev. George H. Ewing,
pastor of the First Congregational church.

Following the invocation, the hymn, "Gone Are the
Great and Good", was sung.

Dr. Gulliver then said:

Many of our ancestors came from Saybrook, attracted
by the water power and level land in this region. The Rev.
Dr. Lewellyn Pratt, a descendant of our Saybrook ancestors,
will address us on "The Outgoing from Saybrook."

Dr. Pratt, who was heard with marked attention by
the large assembly, said :

I presume that I have been selected to speak this open-
ing word in the public services of this 25oth anniversary,
as a native and representative of the old town of Saybrook.
I am to remind you of "the rock whence ye were hewn and
the hole of the pit whence ye were digged."

Norwich Pilgrims Came from Saybrook.

As we all know, the band of pilgrims who came here
in 1659-60 came for the most part from Saybrook. An
independent colony had been established there under the
leadership of Gov. John Winthrop the younger. It was a
colony animated by great expectations. The importance of
the location at the mouth of the great river, the prospect
and the purpose of building there a large city, and the hope
that many prominent men would soon follow made it an
attractive spot to enterprising souls. That settlement was
begun in 1635 the same year that Hooker brought his
colony through the wilderness to Hartford. Lion Gardiner,
an engineer who had seen service under the Prince of
Orange in the Netherlands, was induced by Gov. Winthrop
to come to fortify the place, to lay out the ground for a city,
and to "make preparation for the reception of men of



REV. DR. PRATT'S ADDRESS. 69

quality," who were soon to follow from England. He re-
mained four years, and was succeeded by Col. George
Fenwick, and he in turn by Major. John Mason. During
the first years, troublesome years of defence against the
frequent assaults of the Indians, the settlement had for its
center and principal feature the fort which Gardiner had
built at the first. About this were clustered the houses, and
in this, in the Great Hall, was the gathering place for
defense, for transaction of business, and for worship. No
church was formed at first, for it was principally a military
post; and the chaplain of the post, Rev. John Higginson,
was the spiritual guide of the colony. Col. George Fenwick,
after the failure of "the men of quality," who were expected
to join him in the enterprise, transferred his colony in 1644
to Connecticut, and soon after, saddened by the death of
his wife, Lady Alice, returned with his children to England,
and Major John Mason was persuaded to receive the in-
vestment and to make Saybrook his home. There he re-
mained as leader for twelve 3 r ears.



A Church Formed.

Under his administration the colony thrived, and a
more extended settlement was made north, east and west.
In 1646 a church was formed and the Rev. James Fitch, who
had studied with the Rev. Thomas Hooker and who was
recommended by him, became pastor, and Thomas Adgate
deacon. Mr. Fitch's ministry, whom Trumbull speaks of
as a "famous young gentleman" (he was in his 24th year
when he was settled), proved to be a very happy and suc-
cessful one. Notwithstanding the hostility of the Dutch
and the Indians, the plantation grew by the moving in of
choice families, some of them from Windsor and Hartford,
attracted in part by the popularity of the young preacher.
We have meager records of that period, but it seems to
have been one that promised well for the settlement, which
was now assuming the consequence of a real plantation
and becoming something more than a military post.



7O NORWICH QUARTER MILLENNIUM.

Decision to Go to Norwich.

After a lapse of fourteen or fifteen years, however, we
find that a check is to be given to this progress, the intima-
tion of which is clearly marked by this order of the general
court of Connecticut, dated May 20, 1659:

"This court having considered the petition presented
by the inhabitants of Seabrook, doe declare yt they approve
and consent to what is desired by ye petitioners respecting
Mohegin, prvided yt within ye space of three years they
doe effect a Plantation in ye place prpounded."

We would like to know more of this petition and of the
list of names signed to it, but no copy has been preserved.
The order speaks of the "inhabitants of Seabrook," which
seems to imply that a majority proposed to remove; and
the fact that Mr. Fitch, their pastor, decided to come with
them also lends color to that view. It is doubtful, however,
if the majority actually came. Mr. Fitch may have recog-
nized the greater need of those who were to go into new
conditions and who would require his experience and
counsel in the organizations they must effect. Apparently,
it was not regarded as the removal of the church, although
its pastor and deacon came Saybrook has always dated
the organization of its church in 1646, and Norwich 1660
but in all probability the younger and more enterprising of
the colony came, and the loss to Saybrook was most serious-
ly felt. For several years, till 1665, the colony and church
that were left behind were in a disheartened state.

Many reasons have been surmised for the removal,
some of them too frivolous to be accepted, as that which
has been so often repeated ; that these Norwich pioneers
with Major Mason and James Fitch at their head, were
"driven out by the crows and blackbirds that destroyed
their corn." We may imagine many reasons, among them,
perhaps, was the disappointment that the men who had


1 2 3 5 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Online LibraryWilliam C GilmanThe celebration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the settlement of the town of Norwich, Connecticut, and of the incorporation of the city, the one hundred and twenty-fifth, July 4, 5, 6, 1909: → online text (page 5 of 19)