eBooksRead.com books search new books
William Denison Lyman.

An illustrated history of Walla Walla County, state of Washington (Volume 1) online

. (page 62 of 75)
Online LibraryWilliam Denison LymanAn illustrated history of Walla Walla County, state of Washington (Volume 1) → online text (page 62 of 75)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
of the L'nited States district court, a position




RASSELAS P. REYNOLDS



HISTORY OF WALLA WALLA COUNTY.



417



which he retained for the ensuing three years.
He then became bookkeeper in Reynolds and
Day's bank, and was employed by them until
1879. The next year, 1880, he moved to Al-
powa, Washington, where for the following
six years he kept a general store and a ware-
house. Returning to Walla Walla he engaged
in the business of painting roofs with a special
material of his own manufacture. In January,
1899, he was appointed city clerk to complete
an unexpired term ; in July of the same year he
was elected to that office, and in July, 1900,
he was re-elected.

Mr. Reynolds is one of the leaders in the
local politics of the city and county. He is
public spirited and enterprising, and has earned
an honored place among the progressive men
of that section. Fraternally he is a charter
member of A. Lincoln Post, No. 4, G. A. R.,
of which he is past commander. He was mar-
ried in Walla Walla, on October 28, 1888, to
Miss Carrie M. Baker, a native of Maine.



FRANK VILLA, a gardener residing one
mile south of the city limits of Walla Walla,
was born near Genoa, Italy, in May, 1837.
He remained in his sunny fatherland until
eighteen years old attending the local public
schools, then decided to try the more rigorous
New York, so emigrated to that city. After
a residence of only fifteen days, however, he
embarked on a vessel bound for the south, and
came via Nicaragua to Calavera county, Cali-
fornia, where he worked in the placer mines
for seven years. He then followed market gar-
dening in East Portland, Oregon, about eight
years, after which he took a trip to his native
land.

In November, 1878, Mr. Villa came to
27



Walla Walla, and bought a place of thirty-five
acres, upon which he now resides, his business
being to raise fruits and vegetables for the
supply of the local markets. He is an indus-
trious, thrifty man, possessed of the skill in
gardening and fruit culture for which men of
his nationality are noted. He took his first
citizenship papers in California in October,
1858, and at the time of the Snake river Indian-
war, he testified his willingness to defend the
country to which he then swore allegiance by
offering his services to the government. He
participated in the battles at Camp Crook and
Camp Warner, also in the last fight near the
mouth of Malheur river, where the Indians
surrendered, but he escaped without a wound.
He endured a great deal of hardship in this
campaign, the winter being unusually severe,
but his excellent constitution prevented any
serious efifects upon his health.

Mr. Villa was married in Portland, Ore-
gon, April 2, 1872, to Miss Marie Reible, a
native of Switzerland, and they have five chil-
dren, Frank G. R., an attorney, now at Cape
Nome; Mamie, residing with her parents;
Amelia C, a trained nurse; Harriet, a school
teacher; and Eleanor, a student in St. Paul's
Academy. Mr. Villa and his children are
members of the Catholic church, but Mrs.
Villa belonsrs to the German Lutheran church.



EDWARD H. MANGAN, a contractor
residing at 115 North Fifth street, a pioneer
of 1880, was born in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin,
May 13, 1854 He received a public school
education, then worked on his father's farm
until twenty-six years of age, after, which he
came direct to the Walla Walla valley, where
he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres.



'.4i8



HISTORY OF WALLA WALLA COUNTY.



situated between Dry creek and the Touchet.
He resided on it three years, then proved up,
paying the government price. Shortly after-
^vards he sold out, and went to Montana to
"become an employe of the N. P. R. R., helping
to construct its track through that state and
Idaho.

After remaining with the company ten
months, Mr. Mangan took service with the
O. R. & N. Company, in Washington and
Oregon, as a carpenter. He assisted in building
numerous depots for that company, and put in
the first turn table at Pendleton, also the first
turn table at Blue Mountain station, after the
road was changed to a broad gauge and con-
tiued through to Pendleton.

After serving that company about twenty-
two months, he returned to Walla W^alla, and
went to work as a journeyman carpenter, which
-was his business for about four years, during
wdiich time he assisted in the construction of
the Catholic church and many other imposing
structures. But since 1887 he has been con-
tracting for himself. He has erected many of
the finest buildings in the valley, among them,
Mr. John Martin's elegant residence on Dry
■creek, Mr. Ryan's residence, Mr. Joseph Fal-
lon's residence, and Mrs. Fasset's brick biuld-
ing, in which is Prendergast Bakery, also ^Mr.
McCool's beautiful residence. During the
wheat season, Mr. Mangan busies himself in
"building elevators, using on an average four
:hundred thousand feet of lumber in that indus-
try per annum. He is a very enterprising, ener-
getic man, and one of the most skillful and
rsuccessful builders in this section of the North-
west. His time and attention for many years
have been devoted almost exclusively to his
'handicraft and to contracting, with the natural
result that he is now able to succeed where
others less experienced would fail.



Mr. Mangan is identified with the Y. M. I.
and the I. O. E., of Walla Walla. He mar-
ried in this city, on June 18, 1888, Mrs. Katie
Smith, a member of the Roman Catholic
church, to which he also belongs.



. ROBERT E. LYNCH.— An enterprising
young business man, a mechanic of no mean
ability, and a citizen who commands the res-
pect and confidence of the community in which
he was born and in which his home has always
been, the man whose name forms the caption
of this article is deserving of representation
among the forces which have made and which
will continue to develop the county with the
history of which our volume is concerned.

Mr. Lynch was born in this city in 1872,
and in the public schools here established he
accjuired his education. Shortly after gradua-
tion, he succeeded in passing the teachers' ex-
amination, receiving the highest grade certifi-
cate which could be lawfully awarded to one
without experience in teaching. He then learned
the plumbing trade, taking his initial lessons
under a firm now out of business and com-
pleting his apprenticeship in Portland, Oregon,
to which city he went for the purpose in 1889.
After an absence of eighteen months he re-
turned to this part of the country, whence he
shortly afterward moved to Moscow, Idaho.
He was in charge of a plumbing establishment
there one year, then returned to Walla \\'alla
to accept a position with G. H. Sutherland, by
whom he was employed for a period of three
years.

Desiring then to see more of the country,
he started on a trip east, going as far as Chica-
go, and working in different towns on the road.
A vear later, he returned to WMa Walla and



HISTORY OF WALLA WALLA COUNTY.



419



opened a shop, equipped with all things neces-
sary for an efifective business in plumbing,
steam and gas fitting, etc. He was alone in
this venture for three years, after which he
took Mr. O'Rourke into partnership and con-
solidated his business with that of W. J. Mc-
Graw. They have enjoyed an excellent patron-
age, and have been instrumental in bringing
about many valuable improvements in the sani-
tary condition of the city.

Fraternally, Mr. Lynch is identified with
the Catholic Knights, and the Young Men's
Listitute, and he also belongs to the volunteer
fire department.



NICHOLAS SEIL, proprietor of the shoe
store at No. 20 Main street, a pioneer of
1878, was born in the province of Luxemburg,
August 19, 1846. He was brought by his
parents to the United States when eight years
old, but had the misfortune to lose his father
by death shortly after their arrival in New
York state. He was kindly cared for by an
uncle, who took him to Massillon, Ohio, educat-
ed him in the parochial schools of the Catholic
church, and also taught him the trade of a
shoemaker. When he became about twenty-
three years old, he emigrated to Oregon. For
the two years following his arrival, he resided
in Portland, but in 1873 he returned to Mas-
sillon, Ohio, and purchased an interest in a
shoe establishment, his partner being Mr. Nich-
olas Hanson.

After being in business there for a year,
our subject sold out to Mr. Hanson, and
worked at his trade there about three years,
afterward returning to Scio, Oregon, where he
became foreman of a shoe shop. He later pur-
■^hased all the tools and equipments, and moved



to Walla Walla, where, in 1876, he opened a
custom-made shop. His business increased
until he was soon able to keep six men em-
ployed. He later added ready-made shoes,
and gradually built up and extended his trade
until his quarters became inadequate and he
moved to the quarters in which we now find
him, and which have been occupied by him for
the past sixteen years. In business, Mr. Seil
is careful and conservative, yet progressive,
and to these qualities, together with an untir-
devotion to the mastery of details, his success
is largely due. He is public-spirited and ever
ready to contribute his share toward the fur-
therance of worthy public enterprises or to
charity, but is especially active in the affairs of
the Catholic church, to which he has always
belonged.

In fraternal affiliations, he is identified with
the C. K. of A. and the German Maennerchor.
In May, 1886, he married Miss Susan
Schrantz, a native of Wisconsin, whose home
was in Portland, Oregon, at that time. To
their union have been born two children,
Emma C. and Edward F.



WILLIAM H. HAYS, a farmer at Pres-
cott, is a native of Missouri, born May 3,
1858. He grew to man's estate there, his busi-
ness after he became old enough being farm-
ing. In 1886, he went to Colorado, and after
a very brief residence there removed to Wash-
ington. He passed one winter in this state,
but in the spring returned to his old home in
the east. He seems to have been pleased with
the west, however, for in the spring of 1889
he sold the old Missouri home, and returne<l
to the Inland Empire.

Locatino' at Prescott, Mr. Havs was en-



420



HISTORY OF WALLA WALLA COUNTY.



gaged as a laborer there for a year, but he
subsequently went to the Big Bend country,
and took a homestead. The next year, how-
ever, he returned to Prescott, rented land and
engaged in farming, an occupation which he
has ever since followed. In 1898, he purchased
a fine tract of 494 acres, two and a half miles
northeast of Prescott, where his home now is.
He is one of the thrifty and substantial citi-
zens of that neighborhood, and bears an en-
viable reputation wherever he is known. He
has served for the past two years as road su-
pervisor of his district, and in numerous other
ways has at all times manifested his interest
in the general welfare. He is, in fraternal
connection, a member of the Ancient Order of
United Workmen, and the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows.

In August, 1877, Mr. Hays married Miss
Mary A. \\'heatly, a native of Missouri, and to
their union have been born two children,
Henry A., and Minnie M. ]\Irs. Hays is a
member of the Degree of Honor, the ladies'
auxiliarv to the United Workmen.



J. H. :\IORROW, of the firm of ^lorrow &
Son, proprietors of the Waitsburg Department
Store, was born in Randolph county, Mis-
souri, in 1853. He resided in the state of his
nativity until twenty years old, acquiring his
education in the public schools, and in ]\IcGee
College, where he took a complete classical
course. In 1874, he removed to California,
and for the ensuing three years he was en-
gaged as a teacher there. He then came to
Walla Walla and accepted the principalship of
what is now known as the Baker district, his
assistants being Miss IMartin and Miss John-
son. In July, 1878, he accepted a position
with Preston Powell & Company, of Waits-



burg, by whom he was employed for five or
six years. He then engaged in the notion
business, but in 1887 he embarked in his pres-
ent line, namely, general merchandise.

!Mr. ]\Iorrow has always met with good suc-
cess in his business ventures, being a man who
combines industry and strict attention to de-
tails with shrewdness and sagacity. He is,
moreover, a public-spirited citizen, ever ready
to do his share for the general welfare, and for
the progress and development of the town in
which he resides. For several years he was
a member of the city council. Six years ago
he served a term as mayor, and at present he
is again serving in that capacity. He belongs
to all branches of IMasonry up to and includ-
ing the Commandery, also affiliates with the
Knights of Pythias. ]\Ir. Alorrow married, in
California, in 1876, !Miss Emma C. Glotzbach,
a native of that state, and they had three
children, Piatt Preston, Calla and Clara.



JOHN C. STOREY, a farmer at Dixie, a
pioneer of 1870, was born in Pennsylvania,
December 24, 1841. He grew to man's estate
and was educated there, but no sooner was he
ready to start in life for himself than the
voice of patriotism summoned him to fight
the battles of the republic. Enlisting in August,
1861, as a member of Company H, 102nd
Pennsylvania Volunteers, he served from that
time until the close of hostilities, participating
in almost all the battles and campaigns of the
famous Army of the Potomac, including the
Wilderness and those preceding the downfall
of Richmond. He was in the firing line when
the Confederate capital hung out the white
flag. In all these battles, he escaped without
injury, except at Petersburg, where he received
a bullet wound in the right thigh.



HISTORY OF WALLA WALLA COUNTY.



421



After being discharged on July 3, 1865,
]\Ir. Storey returned to Pennsylvania, where
for two years he worked in the oil regions.
He then went to Missouri and followed school
teaching for a couple of years, then to Mon-
tana, whence, in 1870, he came to Walla ^^'alla
county. He taught school here for fifteen
years, spending fifty-four months in one dis-
trict in Spring Valley. At length, however, he
decided to try farming, so took a homestead
on Pataha prairie, near Pomeroy, where he
resided for a number of years. He also farmed
for some time, iive miles east of Dixie, but
finally sold out.

Mr. Storey was a very active man in former
years, and has done an incalculable amount for
the cause of education in this part of the state ;
indeed, he ranked among the most successful
educators of the early days. He has been twice
married. Li 1877, in Dayton, Washington, he
wedded Miss lone White, a native of Oregon,
who died in 1879, leaving one son, Mark. He
was again married in 1881, the lady being
Georgie E. Look, a native of California. They
have five children, Flora, Carl, Clarence,
Ralph and Dewey.



FRANCIS M. CORKRUM, a farmer, a
pioneer of 1865, was born in Kentucky in
October, 1834. His father died when he was
an infant, and his mother moved with him to
Spring Garden, Illinois, where he grew to
manhood on a farm with his uncle. ^Vhen
twenty years old, he tried farming in Jeffer-
son county one year, after which he worked
for wages a while, but soon went onto a place
for himself again, and the next year bought a
farm.

Mr. Corkrum lived on this place for a num-



ber of years, but finally decided to come west,
so sold out and started across the plains with
a team consisting of oxen and cows. He at
first intended to locate in either Oregon or
California, but changed his plan and came to
Walla Walla valley. He purchased a squat-
ter's right to a claim on the Spring branch
for $20 in greenbacks, then worth about fifty
cents on the dollar. He afterwards added to
this three tracts of forty acres each, and the
entire farm sold fourteen years later for eleven
thousand and two hundred dollars. Of course
much of the increase in value was due to the
improvements which Mr. Corkrum made, and
it testifies to his industry and enterprise as
much as to the development of the country.

After selling his first home, our subject
purchased Mr. Kennedy's ranch of five hundred
and twenty acres, and this he still retains, to-
gether with one hundred and sixty acres on
Dry creek, and one hundred and sixty acres of
timber in the mountains, purchased later. Mr.
Corkrum also bought a farm for each of his
three boys. He now resides in a fine home in
Walla Walla, and owns the house and lot ad-
joining. Few of the early pioneers of the
county have had more to do with the develop-
ment of its industrial resources than has Mr.
Corkrum and few have shown greater acumen
in discerning how best to take advantage of
the opportunities ofiiered by the new and fer-
tile valley.

About twenty-three years ago, he and his
wife and two children were converted in the
school house he had helped to build, and since
that time he has had the pleasure of seeing
all of his children, except one, become members
of the same church to which he belongs, and
in which he has been an active worker for so
many years. He has also demonstrated his in-
terest in the cause of education in a verv sub-



423



HISTORY OF WALLA WALLA COUNTY.



stantial way, serving as director and helping to
organize the district in which he lived and to
build and equip the first rude school building.
In Spring Garden, Illinois, February ii,
1857, our subject married Miss Mary Killebrue,
a native of Jefferson county, Illinois, and to
their union have been born ten children :
William J. ; Rosalie, wife of William York,
of Walla Walla; Nora, wife of Thomas Wil-
son, a farmer near Dayton; L^riah, Eva and
Leo, at home with their parents ; Sarah, after-
wards Mrs. Jeff Jennings, deceased ; David,
deceased, and two that were taken away by
death before being named. Mr. and Mrs.
Corkrum are also the proud possessors of
twenty-four grandchildren. The couple are
enjoying e.xcellent health and are fine specimens
of well preserved old age.



A. S. DICKINSON, postmaster at ^^'aits-
burg, was born in Walla ^^'alla county, in
1868. He received a thorough education in the
public schools and in Waitsburg Academy,
then took a business course in the Empire
Business College at Walla \\'alla. In 1892,
he embarked in the hardware business at Waits-
burg, and for two years thereafter he followed
that branch of commerce, but in 1894 he
turned his attention to farming. One year was
spent in tilling the soil and one in a grain ware-
house. In 1897 '""E received an appointment
as postmaster of Waitsburg and he has been
serving in that capacity ever since. He is also
interested in mining, being the owner of stock
in Republic and Sumpter camps. For some
time he acted as local treasurer of the Equi-
table Loan & Savings Company, of Portland,
Oregon, and of the Aetna Loan and Trust Com-
pany, of Butte, ^Montana.



Air. Dickinson has always manifested a
lively interest in local affairs, and may be fairly
counted among the progressive forces of the
town. He served one term as a member of the
city council. In fraternal affiliations, Mr.
Dickinson is identified with the Knights
of Pythias, and the Ancient Order of United
Workmen. He was married in Waitsburg, in
1896, to Miss Addie E. Denny, a native of the
state of Washington, who received her early
education in the public schools here and later
graduated from the San Jose, California,
Normal school. She has been teaching in the
public schools of Waitsburg ever since com-
pleting her educational discipline.



HARLAN D. ELDRIDGE, a farmer one
and a half miles southeast of Dixie, a pioneer of
1880, is a native of Iowa, born April 6, 1858.
He grew to manhood and was educated there,
following teaching as his profession for some
time after attaining years of maturity. In
1880, he came out to \\'alla Walla county, took
a homestead near Starbuck, and engaged in
farming. He resided there for several years,
but in 1890 removed to the place upon which
we now find him. He owns at present over
fi\-e hundred acres of land and is one of the
most extensive and successful farmers in the
vicinity of Dixie.

]Mr. Eldridge is quite active in the affairs
of his community, and takes an intelligent in-
terest in politics, local, state and national, but
displays no ambition to become particularly
prominent in political circles and has never
been a candidate for any office. He is an ac-
tive member of and one of the elders in the
Christian church of Dixie. In fraternal affilia-
tions, he is identified with Welcome Lodge,



HISTORY OF WALLA WALLA COUNTY.



425



No. 117, L O. O. F., and with the Rebekahs.
He is very prominent in the subordinate Odd
Fellows' lodge, having passed through all the
chairs. Mr. Eldridge was married in this coun-
tv, September 14, 1884, to Miss Etta Barnes,
a native of the county, and they have become
parents of five children: Whipple, Taylor B.,
Earl, Geneva AL, and Bonnie G. '



ALFRED F. PERRY, a retired farmer and
contractor, residing at 525 North Sixth street,
is a native of St. Benoit, province of Quebec.
Canada, born on June 7, 1853. He was early
taken to California, whither his father had
gone in 1849, becoming so enamoured of the
country that he could be content nowhere else.
They lived a short time in San Jose, then moved
to Oroville, in Butte county, where the father
engaged in mining.

When Mr. Perry arrived at the age of seven
years, he severed his connections with the re-
mainder of his family, and' accompanied a
number of miners ox'erland from Los Angeles.
He passed through the famous Death Valley,
and had the pleasure of seeing the wonderful
petrified ship, as it is called, which is a large
rock the exact shape of a ship, and is supposed
by some to have been an actual ship at one
time and to have been sunk in the days
when the valley was an inland sea. There
are also other curious remains such, as (ap-
parently) petrified cities and even the form of
a man with a pen behind his ear, and a bunch
of papers in his hand. The company of miners
to which ]\Ir. Perry belonged located in the
White mountains eighty miles from the present
Tucson, Arizona, and out young hero learned
to read and spell as best he could with the news-
paper and such other literature as might chance



to reach the camp for text-books and the rude-
miners for instructors.

Mr. Perry remained in this camp, far from,
the haunts of civilization, for thirteen and a
half years, locating five mines, one of which,
the Mariposa, is a well-known gold and silver
producer at this day. He then returned to his
old home, recrossing the Death Valley, and
confirming the observations of his childhood.
Three days after his arrival at home, he set
out for San Francisco, and took a contract to
supply the Pacific Coast Distilling Company
with potatoes. He was thus employed for five
years.

On March 2. 1877, our subject arrived in
\\'alla \\'alla. He purchased one hundred and
twent}- acres of land three miles below town,
where he engaged in diversified farming and
gardening. He has been adding to his original
home from time to time until he is now the
owner of seven hundred acres in two tracts,
on which he, at present, raises timothy and al-
falfa mostly, his annual crop averaging about
thirteen hundred tons. Mr. Perry has also been
a successful contractor for the past fifteen
years. He built the penitentiary, finishing the
walls in sixty-nine days, also graded many of
the Walla Walla streets, and did much con-
tract work on the various railroads running
into the city.

Mr. Perry is in every sense of the word a
self-made man, having started to work out his
own destiny when seven years old without capi-
tal or education, and having achieved, in spite
of obstacles which would have overwhelmed
a less resolute spirit, the high standing in the
social and financial world which he now enjoys.
He is a man of truly remarkable abilities and
giant force of character. He was married at
Lewiston, Idaho, on July 11, 1879, to Miss
Nettie V. Coffin, a native of Oregon, whose



424



HISTORY OF WALLA WALLA COUNTY.



parents came overland from Massachusetts to
that state in 1855. Mr. and Mrs. Perry have
had two children, Fred D., deceased, and Will-
iam C, a student in Whitman College. On
February 5, 1901, Mr. Perry had the misfor-
tune to lose his wife, who had been ill for over
sixteen months previous to her demise. Her
remains lie buried in the \\^alla Walla ceme-
tery beside those of her son.



EDWIN W. McCANN. lately dealer in



Online LibraryWilliam Denison LymanAn illustrated history of Walla Walla County, state of Washington (Volume 1) → online text (page 62 of 75)
Using the text of ebook An illustrated history of Walla Walla County, state of Washington (Volume 1) by William Denison Lyman active link like:
read the ebook An illustrated history of Walla Walla County, state of Washington (Volume 1) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014