William F. (William Farley) Peck.

History of Rochester and Monroe county, New York : from the earliest historic times to the beginning of 1907 (Volume 2) online

. (page 43 of 94)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

extended tour of the United States. During his
travels he kept a journal, which is now both curi-
ous and valuable and which graphically illustrates
the pioneer life and notable scenes en route. He
traveled after the primitive manner of the times
by stage or boat or by private conveyance. His
son, Henry A. Langslow, was born within tweh'e



miles of London, England, November 16, 1830,
and in 181:9 crossed the Atlantic to America, land-
ing in Nova Scotia. He went first to Prince Ed-
ward's Island and afterward spent a year in Bos-
ton, MassadiiiHii-. -iilisequently taking up his
abode in Xrw ^'..rk > uy. where he carried on vari-
ous l.ii-=iiics< mtdvsts for ten years. In 1850 ho
inanir,] ( ailinine M. Cardiff,' a native of Char-
lotteii'uii. I'liiue Edward's Island, and they be-
came the paieuts of five children: Henry Richard
and Thomas Walter, now deceased; Loiiis A. G. ;
Stratton C. : and Helena M. All were born in
New York city, and in 1860 the father brought his
family to Kuclioster, where he was mainly engaged
in tlie furniture business until his demise. In
1875 he became connected with the furniture firm
of Burley & Dewey, predecessors of the I. H.
Dewey Furniture Company, of which Mr. Langs-
low was vice president until January, 1885, when
he and his son, Stratton C. Langslow, withdrew.

The early entrance of Stratton C. Langslow
into business life was as traveling salesman for the
firm of Burley & Dewey, furniture manufacturers,
with whom he remained for several years, when
they were succeeded by the I. H. DeweV Furniture
Company, Mr. Langslow maintaining his asso-
ciation with the latter until 1885.

From the first he showed remarkable ability to
handle men and to get the maximimi of productive
labor from them, at the same time holding their
respect and affection. This combined with the
force and ceaseless energy of his work brought him
liis first successes. As stated he and his father
withdrew, and the firm of Langslow-Fowler &
Company was organized. The senior partner was
a man of broad practical experience in business
and Stratton C. Langslow had had more than
twenty years' experience in connection with the
manufacture and sale of furniture. From the
beginning the new enterprise prospered and has
long since attained very extensive proportions.
Upon his father's death he became his successor in
the business and by his far-sighted and conserva-
tive, though extremely progressive policy, has
steadily increased the yearly volume of business to
the current years production of over six hundred
and fifty thousand dollars' worth of furniture, and
giving employment to four hundred and fifty
hands. The manufactured output because of its
excellence and durability has been in constant de-
mand and shipments are made by the company to
all parts of the country.

Stratton C. Langslow was married in 1883 to
Miss Mary E. Thompson, a daughter of John
Thompson, of Ironton, Ohio, and they now have
two children, Harry R. and Helena M. For al-
most a half century the name of Langslow has
figured in connection with the furniture trade in
Rochester and the record has at all times been
characterized bv conformitv to a high standard of



1050



HISTOEY OP ROCHESTEE AND MONEOE COUNTY.



commercial ethics, while the old and time tried
maxims, such as "honesty is the best policy" and
"there is no excellence without labor" have con-
stituted the working basis of the business.



GEOEGE COOLEY GOEDON.

On the roll of Brockport's honored dead appears
the name of George Cooley Gordon, who for years
was recognized as a man of gi'eat strength of char-
acter, of high purpose and lofty principles. His
activity and energy left their impress upon the
community where for many years he was a leading
business man. As a member of the firm of
Luther Gordon & Son he was closely associated
with the lumber industiT and at the time of his
death was also president of the First National
Bank, president of the Brockport Loan and Build-
ing Association and a trustee of the Fidelity Trust
Co'mpany, of Buffalo, New York.

His life record began in Eiishford, New York,
on the 1st of July, 1849, his parents being Luther
and Florilla (Cooley) Gordon, who are mentioned
on another page of this volume. He was nine
years of age at the time of the removal of his
parents to Brockport, where he attended the Colle-
giate Institute, his education being further con-
tinued in Eochester Academy. On attaining his
majority he joined his father in the lumber busi-
ness, tlie latter being one of the most extensive
dealers in that line in this part of the state, and
they carried on business under the finn name of
Luther Gordon & Son. Unlike many young men
who have the opportunity to enter upon a success-
ful business established by a father, he made it
his purpose to thoroughly familiarize himself with
the business, working persistently and earnestly
to acquaint himself with every detail, and his use-
fulness soon proved a potent element in the suc-
cess which attended the vast and varied business
interests of the firm. The son assumed full con-
trol upon the father's death in 1881 and in the
management of affairs displayed most excellent
judgment. He enlarged and extended his opera-
tions and in all displayed most sound judgment,
which was rarely, if ever, at fault. He succeeded
his father as president of the First National Bank
of Brockport and held that position throughout
the remainder of his life. At the time of his
death he was also president of the Brockport Loan
& Building Association and trustee of the Fidelity
Trust Company of Buffalo, New York. Ener-
getic, progressive and thoroughly reliable, he won
the unqualified confidence of all with whom he
came in contact either in business or social life
and in his death the community mourned the loss
of one whose value had long since been proven



and whose genuine worth endeared him to all who
knew him.

On the 18th of October, 1873, Mr. Gordon was
united in marriage to Miss Ida M. Hooker, a most
estimable lady, to whose wise counsel and aid he
contributed much of his success in life. They
became the parents of five children, namely:
Luther; George Cooley; William H., who died in
infancy; Fred H. ; and Thomas C. Mr. Gordon
died at his summer home at Beachwood Park, on
Lake Ontario, August 25, 1898. and his death was
widely and deeply mourned, for through his varied
business and social relations he had made many
warm friends who esteemed him highly for his
genuine worth.

In early life Mr. Gordon was a democrat but
became a republican during President Cleveland's
second term and ever afterward supported that
party. Political honors had no attraction for him
but as a public-spirited citizen he never withheld
his support from any enterprise which he believed
would advance the general welfare or promote the
interests of his fellowmen. Over the record of
his business career or private life there falls no
shadow of wrong, for he was ever most loyal to
the ties of friendship and citizenship and his his-
tory well deserves a place in the annals of his
native state. Mr. Gordon realized fully the obli-
gations which devolve upon man in his relations
to his fellowmen. He was instrumental in pro-
moting all that tended toward the betterment of
Brockport. He was ambitious for the city's good
and brought to public interests the same devotion
and energy that he mtoifested in his private
business affairs. Moreover, he was charitable,
kindly and benevolent, giving generously of his
means to those in need and withholding the hand
of aid at no time when he believed that his assist-
ance would prove of benefit. He did not believe
in the indiscriminate giving which fosters vag-
rancy or idleness but he possessed in full measure
"the milk of human kindness" and his spirit was
one of helpfulness^ based upon broad humanitarian
principles.



HOWAED A. BAEEOWS.

Howard A. Barrows is a descendant of that
sturdy Connecticut type of humanity that fought
for independence in the colonial war and that has
ever rebelled against any form of bondage. He
was born at Le Boy, New York, August 10, 1855,
and received his education at Batavia, New York.
When a mere boy he was employed by the Union
& Advertiser Company, of Rochester, as mailing
clerk. He did his work so well that he was
quickly promoted to head bookkeeper, a position he



HISTORY OF EOCHESTEE AND MONEOE COUNTY.



1051



filled vvitli witli so much credit that he was offered
and accepted a similar position on the Indianap-
olis Sentinel. In a few months his former posi-
tion at a better salary was offered him an he re-
turned to Eochester, which city has since been his
home. His first connection with the clothing busi-
ness was with the manufacturing firm of Wile,
Stern & Company, who had been impressed by his
energy and solicited him to accept a position of
trust and responsibility. He very soon developed
a special aptitude for the clothing trade and at-
tracted the attention of L. Adler Brothers & Com-
pany, with whom he became connected in 1885,
when he was yet a young man. Ten years later
he was admitted to membership in this progressive
and successful hoiise, and for several years has
been one of the directors whose judgment and ad-
vice as a directing force in the steady growth of
the business have been fully recognized and appre-
ciated.

Mr. Barrows has charge of the extensive New
England trade of the house in connection with his
personal work in the manufacturing department.
He believes in and practices the policy of strict in-
tegrity and has been doing it so many years that
he has earned the confidence of his customers to
an unusual extent. It is said that he has never
lost a desirable account for the reason that men 'to
whom he sold goods found by experience that they
could rely on what he told them as well as upon
the clothing he sold them; and there has, conse-
quently, grown up between him and them a bond
of strong personal friendship, as well as of pleas-
ant commercial relations that holds them together
year after year. His personal ideals of merchan-
dising harmonize perfectly with those of L. Adler
Brothers & Company, thus making his business
connection pleasant as well as profitable.

In 1903 Mr. Barrows saw the possibilities of the
retail end of the clothing business in Eochester
and bought the McFarlin Clothing Company, of
which he is president and treasurer. No sooner
had he acquired possession than he began systemat-
ically to enlarge the company's facilities for doing
business. In 1906 the business had gTown to such
magnitude that the whole building was secured,
giving ample facilities for more than doubling the
sale of fine clothing, so that today this store is the
largest distributor of distinctly fine clothing in
Eochester. Here, too, the kejoiote of his success
has been the gaining of and keeping the confidence
of people who buy clothing, the name of the house
being a synonym for honesty and a "square deal."

Though ven^ active and energetic in his business
affairs, Mr. Barrows believes in recreation, mostly
of the fresh air kind, and is interested in vigor-
giving outdoor sports. He is socially inclined also,
and is a member of the Genesee Valley Clu1i, Jla-
sonic Club, Punxsutawney Club, Batavia Club,
Eochester Yacht Club, and in the Masonic order



is a member of Valley lodge, Hamilton chapter,
Monroe commandery, Knights Templar, and No-
bles of the Mystic Shrine.

Howard A. Barrows married Miss Anna Eidley.
Their children are Alice Eidley, William Peters,
Mary Alexander, Elizabeth, and John Barrows.
Their home life is characterized by the strongest
attachments, each for the others, and a broad spirit
of comradeship peculiar to homes guided by a man
whose whole life has exemplified the attributes of
Justice, tolerance and kindliness.

Mr. Barrows has done more than the usual
amount of hard thinking. To every problem of
life he has applied energy, common sense and
thought. He believes that any young man who is
fairly endowed with natural intelligence and who
has sufficient ambition to stimulate his action and
his thought, can achieve success. His own suc-
cess as a merchant is the result of patient trying
and applying the lessons of each year to the work
of the next, along with which has gone the erection
of a substantial structure of character, so that
when he surveys the past he finds few regrets. On
the other hand, while he enjoys rationally the ma-
terial comforts of life, the most enduring reward
of his work as a business njan he considers to be
the respect and esteem of his fellowmen, the real,
honest personal friendship and confidence of those
with whom he has come in contact.



WILLIAM A. B. DEESCHEE.

William A. E. Drescher, assistant treasurer and
director of the Bausch & Lomb Optical Company
of Eochester, was born at Neutomischel, in the
province of Posen, Germany. November 8, 1861.
His parents were Theodore and Helena Drescher,
nee Metzner. The father was engaged in the man-
ufacture of metal roofings in Berlin, Germany, and
later in New York city, having emigrated to the
United States in 1873.

William A. E. Drescher was educated in the
schools of Berlin and New York, following a gen-
eral course of study which was completed by his
graduation in 1876. He contemplated pursuing
an engineering course, but in the interim an op-
portunity offered to enter commercial life and he
did so. He became an employe of the Bausch &
Lomb Optical Company in their New York oflSce,
advancing through various branches of the busi-
ness until in 1888 he was transferred to Eochester,
New York, to assume more important duties in
connection with the executive and manufacturing
branches there located. At present he is assistant
treasurer and one of the directors of the Bausch
& Lomb Optical Company, manufacturers of op-
tical instruments. The business is one of the



HISTORY OF EOCHESTEE AND MONEOE COUNTY.



1052

most extensive of the kind in the entire United
States and Mr. Drescher"s connection therewith
covers almost a third of a century. He is financially
interested in many local and other enterprises,
including a number of manufacturing interests,
and his wise judgment and keen sagacity render
his counsel and co-operation valued assets in any
business.

Mr. Drescher was married in Eochester, Sep-
tember 23, 1900, to Miss Anna J. Bausch, and
thev have three children: Hilda Ardelle. Clara
Louise and Theodore Bausch.

In his political views Mr. Drescher is a stal-
wart republican, endorsing the principles of the
party since age conferred upon him the right of
franchise. His recognition of individual re-
sponsibility in his refation to his fellowmen has
lieen indicated by his able services as director of
ihe City Hospital and by his connection with the
Children's Playground League, of which he is
btill a director, 'while at one time he was itspresi-
dent. He is interested in the great economic and
sociological questions affecting the race at large
as is evidenced by his membership in the American
Playground Association and the American Civil
Service Eeform Association. Nor is he less in-
terested in scientific subjects, lielonging to the
American Association for the Advancement of
Science and to the American Microscopical Soci-
ety. He is also connected with the National Asso-
ciation of Credit Men, while his social nature is
indicated bv his membership in the Genesee Val-
ley Chib. the Eochester Club, and the Country
Ciub of Eochester.



ANDEEW LINCOLN.



Among the early promoters of Monroe county's
industrial and commercial activity was Andrew
Lincoln and the value of his service is recognized
by all who laiow aught of the history of this sec-
tion of the state. He arrived in the county in
1816 when it was largely an unsettled district,
covered in places with the native forest growtli
and giving little indication of the changes which
were soon to transform it into a thickly populated
and prosperous region. He was one oif the native
sons of New England, born at Eastham. Barnsta-
ble county, Massachusetts, September 27, 1784.
His father, Josiah Lincoln, of Cape Cod, was de-
scended from one of three brothers of the name
who emigrated from England to America between
the years 1633 and 1637. His educational privi-
leges were limited, but when not occupied with the
work that devolved upon him in his youth he em-
braced his opportunities of acquiring such knowl-
edge as was imparted in the schools of the district.



He had no difficulty in gaining a thorough knowl-
edge of the value of money, for from an early age
he was dependent upon his own resources. With
five dollars in his pocket, when fourteen years of
age, he left home and learned the trade of a car-
penter and joiner.

The year 1816 witnessed the arrival of Mr.
Lincoln in Perinton, Monroe county, where he
followed carpentering one season, working also in
Henrietta, Brighton and other localities. In 1818
he took up his abode upon a farm in Perinton
near the village of Penfield, which is now the home
of his son, Josiah K. Lincoln. His attention was
given to agricultural pursuits, but he divided his
time with other business interests, and at
his death was the owner of one of the
most valuable mill properties in the coun-
ty, in addition to three hundred and fifty
ncres of land. In 1821 he became a partner
of Samuel Eich and built the first merchant grist-
mill and the third mill of any kind in the town.
It was the first mill on Irondequoit creek, where
he also built the dam. He had in his employ four
millers, beside a number of salesmen on the road,
and his product was sold in New York and Boston.
His first mill pond embraced about twenty-five
acres, and about 1836 he purchased his partner's
interest, and for many years did the most of the
milling business for miles around. In 1847 he
built a new dam and a stone mill and doubled the
area of the mill pond. The business was success-
fully conducted by Mr. Lincoln up to the time of
his death, which occurred November 26, 1866.
Mr. Lincoln was one of the most prominent busi-
ness men of this section of the state in his day,
identified ^vith various commercial and industrial
enterprises. His business extended into remote
sections of the country. In a-ddition to liis flour-
mill he also conducted a sawmill and tannery,
carrying on the former for about thirty-five years,
and lie likewise engaged in merchandising in Pen-
field. He owned the canal boat that he used in
shipping large quantities of flour to Albany, New
York and elsewhere. His tannery became an im-
portant productive industry, equal in extent to
any similar enterprise of western New York. The
mercantile business was conducted under the firm
style of Harvey & Lincoln and in the conduct of
all these interests Mr. Lincoln displayed keen
discernment, marked business sagacity and un-
wearied industry.

On the 31&t of January, 1827, Andrew Lincoln
was married to Miss Sarah A. Kennedy, a daugh-
ter o"f Jacob Kennedy. She was born in Sher-
burne, New York, in 1801, and in early girlhood
accompanied her parents to Brighton. Following
her marriage she was a resident of Perinton up to
the time of her death in 1883. She was well
trained in the duties of the household such as




ANDREW LINCOLN.




MRS. ANDREW LINCOLN.



HISTOKY OF KOCHESTEE AND MONKOE COUNTY.



1057



were common in those days. She could take flax
or wool in the rough and card, spin, weave and
make it into all kinds of wearing apparel. She
was one of the first members of the Baptist church
at the Upper Corners prior to its removal to the
village of Penfleld in 1839, and throughout her
life maintained an active interest in Sabbath
school work. Andrew Kennedy, her grandfather,
was a sea captain and following his marriage to
Amy Wentworth established his home in Milton
near Boston. His wife traced her ancestry to the
titled Wentwoi-th family of England, descended
from Eeginald Wentworth, who flourislied in
1066. Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln became parents of
three sons and three daughters : Harriet, the wife
of B. A. Baird. of Salt Lake City, Utah; Andrew
W.. Charlton U. and Josiah. all of whom became
residents of Pcrinton: Sarah A., deceased; and
Sarah A., wlio was the second of that name and
l}eeame the wife of William Fellows, of Penfield.
Hi his political views Andrew Lincoln was a
stalwart whig until the dissolution of the party,
when he became a stanch advocate of republican
principles. He was the founder of the old Pen-
field Seminary and ever gave liberally and gener-
ously for its support. The cause of education
indeed found in him a stalwait cliainpion and
though his own opportunities wnc limited in
youth he gained that comprehnisiM' knowledge
offered bj' the school of experience and acquiriMl
by reason of an observing eye and retentive un'in-
ory as well as wide reading. His influenc(^ was
always on the side of progress and Monroe county
owes him much for his efforts in her behalf along
lines resulting in her moral and intellectual
progress.



JOSEPH ENGEL.



The name of Joseph Engel is found on the list
of Rochester's honored doml wliose lives may well
serve as a source of ciiciuiinLii'iiH-m and emulatiim
to othei's. Moving slowl\ Imi surrlv in every Juisi-
ness transaction, the youth of fifteen years who ar-
rived empty-handed in the new world became the
prosperous fur merchant, whose enterprise and
business discernment were evidenced in his suc-
cess, while his honorable methods were proven in
the res]iect everyv.-liere entertained for him by
those with whom he had trade relations.

Mr. Engel was a native of Germany, born at
Frankfort-on-the-Main, February 26, 1842. He
acquired a high-school educatidu and beamed to
speak German, French and Engl i si i. ][r lost his
father when quite young and at the aw of fifteen
years he came alone to America, landing at New
York citv, where he remained until he came to



Rochester. He learned the trade of a furrier in
New York and became foreman and superinten-
dent of the fur department of a well known house
of the metropolis. Later he entered business on
his own account.

In 1878 Mr. Engel came to Rochester in the
interest of E. S. Ken3'on & Company, with whom
he remained for about a year, ^after which he en-
gaged in business for himself, establishing a store
at No. 89 East Main street, where ne continued
up to the time of his death, on the 17th of Feb-
ruary, 1897. In manner he was quiet and unas-
suming, entirely free from ostentation and display,
and in business transactions he was conservative,
forming his plans carefully, stiidying closely every
move or innovation, and thus arriving at a con-
clusion that ma:le his judgmt'nt rarely, if ever, at
fault. He was prompt in meeting obligations and
his business jioliey was such as commended him to
the confidence and respect of his business contem-
poraries, associates and patrons.

Mr. Engel was a member of Christ Episcopal
church, contributing generously toward the erec-
tion of the new church edifice on East avenue, and
gave liberally to charity, his life proving that be-
nevolence, humanitarianism. honesty and pros-
])erity are not antagonistic forces but mav be
Ijrought into most harmonious relations.

In New York city, on the 29th of November,
ISil."). 31v. Engel was married to Miss Margaret
Dri'is. also a nati\e of (icrmany, who survives her
liusliand and now rosi