William F. (William Farley) Peck.

History of Rochester and Monroe county, New York : from the earliest historic times to the beginning of 1907 (Volume 2) online

. (page 46 of 94)
Online LibraryWilliam F. (William Farley) PeckHistory of Rochester and Monroe county, New York : from the earliest historic times to the beginning of 1907 (Volume 2) → online text (page 46 of 94)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


or tobacco and is strictly temperate in his life,
never running to extremes in any particular. In
politics he is a democrat, but he accords to others
the right of forming their own opinions.

In 1862 was celebrated the marriage of George
C. Taylor and Miss Wealthy A. Fuller, of Spring-
boro, Crawford county, Pennsylvania. He belongs
to no church or societies, but is a most liberal sup-
porter of all church and charitable work. The
consensus of public opinion regarding Mr. Taylor
is altogether favorable. Young and old, rich and
poor, business and social associates, all speak of
him in terms of high praise, and he is a man whom
to know is to respect and honor.



ISAAC ADLEE.



Isaac Adler, who is engaged in the practice of
law with offices in the Granite building in Boch-
ester, has been continuously a member of the bar
of this city since 1893. He was born in Medina.
New York, May 10, 1868, son of the late Levi
Adler, formerly president of L. Adler Brothers &
Company, clothing manufacturers of this city.

Isaac Adler has been a resident of Eochester
since 1869. Study in the city public schools, two



years in the University of Eochester, two years
in Harvard College completed by graduation in
1890, two years in the Harvard Law School, and
a year in the University of Berlin, 1889-1890, con-
stituted his course of study prior to admission to
the bar in 1893. His education was liberal and
he took up the work of the jjrofession well quali-
fied for the duties that devolved upon him. He
was first associated with Theodore Bacon and
later formed a partnership with his cousin under
the firm style of Adler & Adler. They have been
accorded a liberal clientage, which has constantly
grown in extent and importance.

Mr. Adler was married to Miss Cora Barnet,
of Boston, and they have two children, Theresa
and Helen. Mr. Adler was elected in 1904 a mem-
ber of the board of education.



ABIEL D. COOK.



Abiel D. Cook, who since 1897 has filled the
office of postmaster at Despatch, having been ap-
pointed to the position by President McKinley
and reappointed by President Eoosevelt, is a
native son of Monroe county, his birth having oc-
curred on a farm in Perinton township, in 1872.
The family was established in this county at an
early day, when the paternal grandfather settled
in Penfield township, where the father of our
subject, Alonzo Cook, was born and there followed
farming until his death in 189-5. He was also
engaged in buying and selling produce for a num-
ber of years and was a well known and highly
respected citizen of that locality. He gave his
political support to the republican party. His
marriage to Sarah E. Treadwell, who was born
in Perinton township, was blessed with five chil-
dren, of whom four still survive, out subject
lieing the youngest, while the others are Orson, Ar-
thur and Albert. Mrs. Cook's father came to
Perinton township from Connecticut at an early
day and here made his home throughout his re-
maining years.

Abiel D. Cook, the youngest of the four sur-
viving sons of his father's family, was educated
in the country schools of Perinton township. He
was reared to the pursuits of farm life, giving his
father the benefit of his services during the period
of his Ijoyhood and youth. Upon reaching man-
hood he engaged in the insurance business for a
time and also served as town clerk. In 1897 he
was ajipointed by President McKinley to the posi-
tion of postmaster of Despatch and by reappoint-
ment of President Eoosevelt he has been continued
in the office to the present time. He is a popular
official, discliarging the duties of the office in a
capable and business-like manner.



1076



HISTORY OF ROCHESTEE AXD MOXEOE COUNTY.



Mr. Cook was married in I )i.'s|iatt h to Miss
Susie E. Stell, who was born in L\oii-. \,w York.
Like his father, Mr. Cook gives; liis pdlitieal sup-
port to the republican party. lie is public-spirited
in a marked degree, giving his aid to every move-
ment which tends to advance the interests of his
home town and county, while his enterprise and
business ability will fit him to carry on the impor-
tant duties of the office which is entrusted to his
care. In social circles he and his wife are popular,
their many sterling traits of character winning
for them warm and lastina: friendsliips.



FRED B. GRAVES.



Fred B. Graves is one of the well known and
enterprising business men of Rochester, engaged
in the building and sale of elevators. He was
born in Worcester, Massachusetts, in 1854. His
father, Lorenzo S. Graves, was a native of Con-
necticut and in 1850 removed to Rochester, where
he began business as a shoe manufacturer. In
1860 he began the building and sale of elevators,
establishing the enterprise, however, on a small
scale. Since that time the work has been
carried forward by the father and son, the latter
joining the father in 1876. Lorenzo S. Graves
continued an active factor in the business life of
the city until his death, which occurred April 4,
1904. He was a most highly respected man, prom-
inent in industrial and commercial circles, and
further mention is made of him on another page
of this volume.

Fred B. Graves, reared in Rochester, passed
through successive grades in the schools of the
city until he was graduated from the Rochester
high school. He was a young man of about
twenty-two years when he was admitted to a part-
nership by his father, since which time he has been
engaged in the construction and sale of elevators.
To this end he owns a large and well equipped
plant, supplied with all modern accessories for
carndng on the business. Eni)iloyment is given
to a large force of men and tliis is one of tlie
strong industrial and productive concerns of the
city. He is also agent for the Otis elevator. The
business has kept pace with the tendency of the
times for improvement in all lines of manufactur-
ing enterprises ard the extensive patronage of
the house is incontrovertible evidence of the value
of the manufactured product.

In 1876 Mr. Graves was united in marriage
to Miss Frances Oswald, of Batavia, New York.
They have three children, all now married. Mr.
Graves is a prominent representative of Masonry,
belonging to Frank R. Lawrence Lodge, No. 79'7,
A. F. & A. M., while he has also attained the



thirty-second degree of the Scottish rite in the
consistory. He belongs to the Mystic Shrine and
to the Grotto, is a member of the Rochester Whist
Club and a life member of the Masonic Club.
He is likewise a charter member of the Rochester
Yacht Club and his social qualities are such as
have won for him a large circle of warm friends.
^Ir. Graves, spending practically his entire life
in Rochester, is well known in the city in busi-
ness, fraternal and social circles, and the consen-
sus of public opinion regarding him is altogether
favorable. It is true that he entered upon a busi-
ness alreadv established, but in successfully con-
trolling and enlarging this he has shown excellent
liusiness capacity and executive force and he does
things with an ability and energy' that show he
is master of the situation.



WILLIAM L. ORMROD.

William L. Ormrod, a man of prominence,
is the owner of one of the most beautiful coun-
try estates in New York, comprising two hun-
dred acres at Churchville. The land, naturally
rich and fertile, has. under the care of able super-
visors, been rendered productive, while the work
of improvement that has been carried on has
made this estate one of the most beautiful in all
iSTew York. In the midst of grounds showing
the high art of the landscape gardiner. stands a
magnificent palatial residence, equipped with
every convenience known to the city home and
supplied with all the furnisings and adornments
that wealth can secure and refined taste suggest.
AAHiile Mr. Ormrod feels a justifiable pride in his
beautiful home, his interest also centers in large
measure upon community affairs and his labor
and influence have been potent factors in promot-
ing public progress and improvement here.

A native of Cleveland, Ohio, William L. Orm-
rod was born September 8, 1863. In the public
schools of Cleveland he began his education, pass-
ing through successive grades until he became a
high-school student. At a youthful age he began
his business career as telegraph operator in the
old Forest City Hotel. In the evenings he at-
tended the Spencerian Business College and in
this way prepared for t,be practical duties of a
business life. Abandoning telegraphy he obtained
a position as clerk and subsequently went to New .
Orleans, where he became clerk of the old St.
Charles Hotel. A year later he was made man-
ager of the Hotel Royal, and in that capacity re-
mained in New Orleans for about ten years during
the winter seasons, while in the summer months
he was manager of the famous old Clifton House
at Niagara Falls for nine years, and then entered




WILLIAM L. OEMROD.



HISTORY OF ROCHESTER AND MONROE COUNTY.



1081



into partnership with George M. Colbrun in con-
trol of the Monmouth House at Spring Lake
Beach, New Jersey, which was the largest sum-
mer resort hotel on the Atlantic coast. This
relationship continued for two years, wlien Mr.
Ormrocl retired from business.

On the 23d of October, fSOO, was solemnized
the marriage of William L. mi rod and Miss
Harriet E. Brooks, a native of Monroe county.
New York, and a daughter of the Rev. Lemuel
Brooks, a pioneer minister of this locality. In
the year of their marriage Mr. Ormrod took up his
abode in Rochester, liecoming a heavy stockholder
in the Flour City National Bank and having a
voice in its active management. It was not alone
private business interests, however, which claimed
his time and attention, for in the study of in-
terests bearing upon the city's welfare, he be-
came deeply aroused concerning the smoke nui-
sance and was largely instrumental in agitating
this question to a point where his efforts were
finally crowned with success in its abolishment.

In 1905 Mr. Ormrod decided to take up his
residence in Churehville, the birth-place of his
wife, and purchased the fine property of Henry
AY. Davis, now deceased, comprising one hundred
and forty acres. To tliis he has added sixty
acres, making in all two hundred acres. In the
midst of this he has erected a magnificent resi-
dence, containing tliirtv rooms, tlioroughly
cquip]ic(l v.iili all luodci'n convonicncos. It is a
lieautiful lioiiie. ideally situateil and lacking in
none of tlie modern appointments wliich promote
the comforts and ease of life. It is adorned,
too, with many beautiful works of art and rich
furnishings. He has fine sta¬ębles upon his
place and a fine herd of blooded Jersey cattle
of seventy-five head. The raising of fine cattle
is one of his chief interests and he owns
some of the most splendid specimens of Jerseys
to be found in the country. Indeed, his is one
of the finest estates in this entire section of the
country and is in full accord with the taste of
the owner.

Since taking up his abode in Churehville Mr.
Ormrod has not only eo-operated in the progres-
sive measures and plans for its benefit and up-
building, but has been the 'promoter of many of
these, taking an active and helpful part in the
town's development. He organized the telephone
system, one of the finest and most complete in
the state. He has been the constructor of the
cable system, and his company was the first to
adopt the continuous service plan of any rural
company. Because of the expense of building
his idea met with considerable opposition but its
practicability was soon demonstrated and numer-
ous subscribers are now found upon the roll of
its patrons. Mr. Ormrod is president of the



company and was also an active factor in the
development of the Churehville Light & Heating
Company, organized in 1905, of which he is like-
wise the president. This modern idea also met
with some opposition, but with persistent effort
it was finally overcome and streets were piped
and homes furnished with this modern conven-
ience, the venture now proving a success. Orm-
rod Road, named in his honor, is a thoroughfare
two miles in length, bordering his new home. It
is an object of special interest to him, upon which
he has at his own expense built an excellent new
bridge at considerable cost. In 1905 Mr. Ormrod
was elected township supervisor, in which con-
nection he has labored persistently and effect-
ively for the best interests of the locality.

In politics Mr. Ormrod is a republican, taking
an active interest in the party. He is an earnest
worker in the Congregational church, in which he
holds membership, contributing generously to its
support. He is especially interested in, and has
recently presented a fine church organ to, the
First Congregational church of Riga, the oldest
church in Monroe county, where the Rev. Lemuel
Brooks was ordained in 1828. Mr. Ormrod is a
Fuccessful man, not only carrying forward to com-
pletion whatever he undertakes in a financial way
Init also accomplishing what he undertakes for
the good of the community. A man of large heart,
easily approachable, he possesses a most benevo-
lent spirit, combined with humanitarian princi-
ples and generous purposes. The question of pub-
lic improvement would be solved if the men of
wealth would follow the course Mr. Ormrod has
];ursued for the substantial development of
Churehville. He has agitated good roads and it is
through his efforts that the first state roads in
the town of Riga are now under construction,
namely the Buffalo Road from the east to the west
town line, and the Ormrod Road from the four
corners in Churehville to Ri^a Center.



HENRY N. JOHNSTON.

Henry N. Johnston, a well known manufac-
turer of Brockport, was born November 13, 1838,
in Niagara county, New York, a son of John and
Mehetabel Johnston. His ancestry can be traced
back to worthy Scottish people, his great-grand-
father, Jacob Johnston, being a member of a Scot-
tish re.Eriment of soldiers in his native land. His
grandfather conducted a farm in Scotland for
many years, moving to Ireland in 1795. Two
years later he came to America, locating in Or-
ange countv. New York, on a farm which he oper-
ated until' 1805. He then moved to Shelby, Or-
leans county, New York, wliere he conducted a



1082



HISTOEY OF ROCHESTER AND MONROE COUNTY.



farm of two hundred and twent^'-five acres. The
father of our subject, John Jolmston, was a native
of Orange county and a Congregational minister
up to the time of his death, which occurred in his
seventy-second year.

Henry N. Johnston received a common-school
education at Xewfane, Niagara county. New York,
and had practical training on the farm. AVith
this equipment, at the age of nineteen years
he was able to engage in farming on his own ac-
count, owning and operating land at Appleton,
Niagara county. New York, which he continued
to work until 1868. He then came to Brockport
to become manager of the Johnston Harvesting
Works. His experience on the farm was of great
practical value to him in this business, in which
he continued for fifteen years. For a similar
period he was also engaged in the manufacture
of harness, but at present he gives his attention
to real estate, handling his own property. At one
time he spent eight years in Chicago, where he
erected thirteen residences and also owned a large
amount of land near Pullman. He built his own
beautiful home in Brockport in 1881.

On the 5th of October, 1859, Mr. Johnston
married Miss Teresa E. Goodspeed, a daughter
of Heman Goodspeed, who was a pioneer of Niag-
ara county, New York, and a native of Vermont.
Her maternal grandfather, Jacob Albright, came
from the same state and was also an early settler
of Niagara county.

Mr. Johnston has always given his stanch
support to the republican party. Although he has
never sought its offices or honors, he has been
ready always to assist those who have. In fra-
ternal organization he is connected with tlie Ma-
sons, and while he is not a member of any church
he gives his loyal support to them.



JOSEPH A. CRANE.



Joseph A. Crane, now serving as assistant post-
master of Rochester, was commissioner of chari-
ties and corrections for seven years. He
was particularly well qualified for the po-
sition on account of his ready sympathy
and his excellent business ability and exec-
utive force. He is adverse to that indis-
criminate giving which fosters vagi-ancy and idle-
ness, and at the same time no one is more easily
touched by a tale of real distress. His official
record is indeed creditable and through his effi-
ciency in putting the able-bodied idle to work he
saved large sums to the city.

Mr. Crane is a native of Rochester, bom on the
Snth of .Tanuarv, 1855. His father. Thomas



Crane, who died September 25, 1907, settled in
this city in 1843 and lived to the advanced age
of eighty-two years. He was supervisor for two
terms, in 18TS and again in 1882, being re-elected
by the republican party. In the field of business
he was a manufacturer of machinery patterns
and conducted a place on Mill street for many
years.

At the usual age Joseph A. Crane became a
pupil in the public schools of Rochester and sub-
sequently attended the Rochester Business Uni-
versity. On putting aside his text-books he en-
gaged in the pattern-makins: business with_ his
father for several years and subsequently contin-
ued as a manufacturer of his own patented spe-
cial pattern-making machinery. The business was
conducted under the firm name of Joseph A.
Crane & Company.

In more recent years Mr. Crane has given his
time largely to his official duties. In 1897 he
was elected alderman from the sixteenth ward
and served for one term. He received appoint-
ment to the position of commissioner of charities
and corrections Ijy Mayor George A. Caruahan,
being the first commissioner under the "White char-
ter. He was re-appointed by Mayor Adolph J.
Rodenbeck. by Mayor James G. Cutler and again
by Mayor Cutler, thus being continued in the po-
sition for eight years. His record in this position
is remarkable because of the saving in expendi-
tures. During seven years the sum total expense
was at least two hundred and fifty thousand dol-
lars less than during the seven years previous,
and at the same time those receiving assistance
were provided with a larger allowance than ever
Ijefore. This shows that Mr. Crane weeded out
those who were not justly entitled to assistance
and made those of physical ability do work and
provide for their own support. The vagrancy of
the cit;\^ is therefore less than it has been in
years and Mr. Crane deserves the gratitude of all
those who care for a clean city and an honorable
citizenship. On the 13th of March, 1907, he ten-
dered his resignation as commissioner of chari-
ties and corrections to accept the position of assist-
ant postmaster. "WTiile a member of the common
council he served on the committee on finance,
was chairman of the railroad committee and was
instrumental in securing the extension of at least
two miles of track on Central Park, Hudson ave-
nue and Clinton street. In all his official work
he has been eminently practical, his labors being
restiltant forces in promoting the general good.

Mr. Crane has been a membe. of the Rochester
CI 111) for a number of years. He was president
of tlic Masonic Club for two years, and it was
largely through his labors that it was permanent-
ly established and is now in a flourishing condi-
iion. He is a life memlier of all the Masonic bodies,
including the blue lodge, chapter, council and com-



HISTOKY OF ROCHESTER AND MONROE COUNTY.



1083



mandery, the Scottish rite bodies of the Mystic
Shrine, and the Masonic Club, and is past grand
high priest of the grand chapter of the state of
New York, while for live years he was chair-
man of the committee on finance and accounts
of the grand chapter, the most important com-
mittee of this body. He is likewise an Odd Fel-
low and an Elk and is secretary of the Undia
Club, located on Irondecjuoit bay. As a business
man and otticial he has made a creditable rec-
ord and in social circles has gained that warm
regard which arises from genuine personal worth
and the possession of those characteristics which
have won friendship and confidence.



many friends outside of business circles esteem
him by reason of a kindly spirit and sociability
that is unforced, arising from a sincere interest
in his fellowmen.



WILLIAM BAUSCH.



William Bausch, as a representative of a fam-
ily that has long figured prominently in Roches-
ter, is too well known here to need special intro-
duction to the readers of this volume. He was
born in 1S61 and his early education, acquired
in the common schools, was supplemented by
study in the Collegiate Institute, while later he
attended L. L. Williams Business University.
Soon after leaving that school he entered his
father's factory and today occupies the position of
assistant secretary of the Bausch & Lomb Optical
Company. His advancement has come not by rea-
son of the fact of his close connection with the
founders of the business, but because of his thor-
ough understanding of the business in principle
and detail. He has excellent executive aliility
and firm purpose, which enables him to carry for-
ward to successful completion whatever he under-
takes. His financial interests extend to other
business enterprises and he is now a trustee of
the East Side Savings Bank and a director in the
General Railway Signal Company and the Seneca
Hotel Company.

Mr. Bausch was married to Miss Kate M. Zim-
mer. Politically he is a republican and socially
he is connected with the Rochester Club, of which
he is president: the Rochester Yacht Club and
the Oak Hill Country Club. He belongs to
Genesee Falls lodge and has attained the thirty-
second degree of the Scottish rite in the con-
-sistory. He is also a trustee of the Rochester
Athletic Club and his interests extend to those
Hctivities which indicate his broad humanitarian
spirit and his recognition of a sense of individual
responsibility. He is now serving as a member
of the board of managers of the State Indus-
trial School, as trustee of the Rochester Orphan
Asylum, and was a member of the school board
from 1003 to 1907. He is spoken of as a general
favorite among his business associates, while his



FOSTER UDELL



At a time when our orchards all over the coun-
try are in a deplorable condition because of lack
of attention it is interesting to read of Foster
Udell, who has seen the necessity of well cultivat-
ed orchards and has catered to the public demand
in a way that has brought profit to himself and
benefit to the public. His father, Wheelock LTdell,
was a man of stalwart character and a generous
heart. With his usual willingness to help his
friends, he signed notes which in the panic that
followed caused his financial ruin, but he was not
the man to be discouraged and he entered into
the nursery business with John Bordan of Brigh-
ton. This proved to be a very great success, but
required such diligent attention and such con-
tinued hard work that Mr. Udell's health failed
and he was obliged to give up business. He passed
away in 1877, at the age of seventy-seven.

Foster Udell, born in Windham, Greene coun-
ty, New York, on the 24th of August, 1826, re-
ceived his education in the common schools, as-
sisting his father in the hours outside of school.
At the age of sixteen he laid aside his school
books to enter into business with his father. Even
at this early age he was looking after the men,
watchino- the corners and in other important ways
giving his father his help. Wien he began on
his own account he had sixty acres of land. To
this he has added until he now owns one hundred
and fifty acres, fifty of which are devoted to bear-
ing orchards and forty to a young orchard, con-
sisting of pears, apples and cherries. So thor-
oughlv has he mastered the necessarv details of
his business that it has brought him large re-
turns. The consciousness of having won it all
by an honest enterprise in which he has furnished
first class products must be a .gi-eat satisfaction
to Mr. Udell. That this is true is evidenced by
the fact that he has sold his products to one man
for thirty years. This man lirings his pickers out
to the farm, boards them and makes the barrels
on the farm, so that all Mr. Udell does is to haul
Ihe apples to the station. He is considered the
king apple man of the east.



Online LibraryWilliam F. (William Farley) PeckHistory of Rochester and Monroe county, New York : from the earliest historic times to the beginning of 1907 (Volume 2) → online text (page 46 of 94)