eBooksRead.com books search new books
William Frederick Howat.

A standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet region (Volume 2) online

. (page 3 of 57)
Online LibraryWilliam Frederick HowatA standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet region (Volume 2) → online text (page 3 of 57)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
chapters in the Bible. With such a discipline it was little wonder that
they became well fitted to take a prominent part in the development of a
new country.

Mr. David Turner was married in 1844 to Miss Caroline Bissell of
Porter County, Indiana. For his domestic establishment he constructed
a log house on a farm near his father's, where he and his wife lived until
1850. Mr. Turner then moved to Crown Point, starting a general store,
and also dealt in farm products, which he sent to market overland, by
the roads leading through the marshes to the City of Chicago, then a
comparatively small town.




DAVID TURNER



LAKE COUNTY AND THE CALUMET REGION 489

David Turner was elected probate judge and held that office in Lake
County until it was abolished. He also served two terms in the Lower
House, and one in the Senate, from 1855 to 1863. In the latter year he
was appointed to the office of United States collector of internal revenue
by President Lincoln and held that position until the office was abolished
fifteen years later, except for a few months during 1865, when he was
removed by President Johnson. However, as the senate refused to con-
firm his successor, he was re-instated.

In 1863 he was appointed by Governor Morton a delegate from the
Ninth Congressional District to attend the dedication of the National
Cemetery at Gettysburg, and stood very near President Lincoln at the
delivery of that short memorial address which will live and be read while
the world stands.

Judge Turner was always interested in education. About 1855, he
and a few other men of like taste erected a building called the "Acad-
emy" and for several years they paid a teacher to conduct a school
that the young might have better opportunities than were afforded by
the public schools at that time. He was a member of the United Pres-
byterian Church in Hebron for many years, and a supporter of and
worker in the Presbyterian Church of Crown Point.

Mr. Turner was a factor in procuring for Crown Point its first rail-
road in 1865, then called the Great Eastern, and he deserves special men-
tion as one of the charter members and organizers and soon afterwards
president of the First National Bank of Crown Point, which remained
for ten years the only bank in the county. He remained active in this
bank until 1883. Doubtless there was no time in his most discreet, indus-
trious and honorable life when these qualities could be of greater serv-
ice to the community, than during the pioneer period of banking in Lake
County, and much credit is due him and others associated with him for
Lake County's banking record. No depositor in the county ever lost a
single dollar through the banks, and considering the remarkable growth
in population and business that is truly a most creditable forty years'
banking record for any county.

In summing up Mr. Turner's life, these striking characteristics must
be recalled by those with whom he came in contact, namely, his natural
honesty, his unselfishness, his intolerance for shams, and his abhorrence
of indolence.

Frederick R. Mott. Prominent among the live, wide-awake busi-
ness men of Hammond is Frederick R. Mott, who came here while the
town was yet in its infancy, there having been but six houses in the place
at the time of his arrival, and in its development and growth he has
been an important factor. A native of Illinois, he was born in the City
of Chicago, July 29, 1857, of substantial German ancestry.

His father, the late Jacob H. Mott, was born and bred in Germany,
and as a young man came to America in order to better his fortunes.
Coming westward from New York, he settled in Chicago in 1852, and was
soon carrying on a thriving business as a contractor and builder, in
that capacity erecting many of the earlier business blocks of that won-
derful city. Meeting with much success in his operations, he continued
an active worker until his death, at a comparatively early age, in 1875.
He married, in Chicago, Mary Bausch, a native of Germany, who proved
herself a true helpmeet.



490 LAKE COUNTY AND THE CALUMET REGION

Frederick R. Mott was educated in the public schools of his native
city, acquiring an excellent knowledge of the common branches of
learning. At the age of seventeen years he came to Hammond, Indiana,
as an employee of the G. H. Hammond Company, which he entered in a
humble capacity. Proving himself industrious and eminently faithful
to the duties imposed upon him, he was promoted from time to time,
eventually becoming head bookkeeper and foreman of the beef depart-
ment of that great corporation. In 1887 Mr. Mott embarked in business
on his own account as a real estate agent, and as a private operator has
met with undisputed success in his undertakings, being now one of the
best known and most prosperous real estate men in this section of Lake
County. He is president of the Lake County Title & Guarantee Com-
pany and vice president of the Hammond Savings & Trust Company.
During his residence in this place Mr. Mott has witnessed its growth
from a hamlet of six houses to its present proportions as a municipality,
and in its advancement has generously lent his aid and influence. For
several seasons after his arrival in Hammond the Michigan Central
Railroad was the only line passing through the place, but now its rail-
Way facilities are most excellent, and an interurban line connecting
Hammond with Chicago makes local travel easy and pleasant.

Mr. Mott married June 24, 1884, Miss Emma Hohman, a daughter
of Ernst W. and Caroline (Sipley) Hohman, of whom a brief account
may be found on another page of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Mott have
five children, namely : Irene, Frederick, Robert, Louis and Walter.
Politically Mr. Mott is a republican, and has served his fellow-men
most faithfully in official capacities, from 1894 to 1898, having served
as mayor of the city. Fraternally he is a member of the Ancient Free
and Acepted Order of Masons, is a Knight Templar and a Shriner.

Edward A. Krost, D. D. S. It is in harmony with the fitness of
things that the son of one of Lake County's pioneer families should
occupy such a post of honor as mayor of the City of Crown Point. The
Krost family have been identified with Lake County more than sixty
years, and Doctor Krost, in addition to his work as a dentist, has been
more or less closely connected with public affairs for the past twenty
years. When Crown Point changed its government from that of a town
to that of a city in July, 1911, he was elected the first councilman from
the Fourth Ward, and served in that position until the final illness of
the late and first mayor, Harold Holton Wheeler, at which time the
council elected Doctor Krost as acting mayor. After Mayor Wheeler's
death the council chose him to fill the unexpired term, and on November
4, 1913, at the regular city election, he was chosen the second mayor of
Crown Point for a term of four years, beginning January 1, 1914. Due
to *hese active relations with the city government at its beginning, his
name will have a permanent place in the annals of Crown Point as long
as that city exists.

Edward A. Krost was born at Crown Point February 13, 1874. His
father, the founder of the family in this county, John Krost, was born
August 6, 1828, in Brandscheid, Germany, and died at Crown Point.
Indiana March 28, 1890. He w T as educated at the University of Trier
(or Treves) and in 1851 left Germany and settled in Ross Township of
Lake County in April, 1853. For several years he was employed as a
clerk in Hale's store at Merrillville, in Lake County, and later engaged



LAKE COUNTY AND THE CALUMET REGION 491

in farming. During the period of the Civil war he was elected and
served as county treasurer, and later held the office of county auditor.
He was a man of high civic and personal character, and some special
mention is made of him in the old settlers' reports by Rev. T. H. Ball
for the year 1893. John Krost was married at the Turkey Creek Church
December 23, 1854, to Katherine Horst, a daughter of Nicholas and
Barbara Horst. The Horst family emigrated to America in 1843, first
settling in Chicago, and moving to Ross Township, in Lake County, in
1852. Katherine Horst was born at Daun, Prussia. January 24, 1836,
and died in Crown Point January 21, 1877.

Edward A. Krost grew up in Crown Point, attended the local public
schools, took a commercial course in the University of Notre Dame at
South Bend, and later pursued two distinct professional courses, grad-
uating in pharmacy from the University of Valparaiso in 1900, and
from the Chicago College of Dental Surgery in 1902. Since the latter
date he has been in active practice as a dentist at Crown Point. From
1892 to 1896 Doctor Krost served as deputy recorder of Lake County.

Fraternally he is affiliated with Lake Lodge No. 157, A. F. and
A. M. ; with Lincoln Chapter No. 53, R. A. M., both at Crown Point:
and with Valparaiso Commandery No. 28, K. T., at Valparaiso. In
1903 he was worshipful master of Lake Lodge. He is also a member
of the Crown Point Chamber of Commerce, of the National Dental
Association, the Indiana State Dental Society, the Northern Indiana
Dental Society, and a member of the dental fraternity. Delta Sigma
Delta, and of the supreme chapter of that organization. He is also a
member of the Chicago Dental Society. Doctor Krost is a life member
of the Lake County Old Settlers and Historical Association, and much
interested in its affairs. Another connection is with the National Geo-
graphic Society.

At Crown Point on March 18, 1895, Doctor Krost was married by
Rev. T. H. Ball to Jennie May Lathrop, who represents one of the old
and prominent families of Lake County. Mrs. Krost was educated in
the Crown Point public schools. Her parents were Charles L. and
Arabella (MacDonald) Lathrop, her father for many years a prominent
business man of Crown Point. Mrs. Krost is a granddaughter of Alex-
ander and Ruth A. MacDonald, who were early settlers of Lake County.
Alexander MacDonald was one of Crown Point's first attorneys, having
come from New York State, and during the decade of the '50s repre-
sented the county several terms in the State Legislature. His death
occurred at Crown Point February 5, 1869. Ruth A. MacDonald, his
wife, was familiarly known to the people of Crown Point as "Aunt
Kate." She was born at Akron, Ohio, October 2, 1826, and died at
Munising, Michigan, August 31, 1905, her body being now at rest in the
Crown Point Cemetery. Rev. Mr. Ball, the pioneer minister of Lake
County, preached the sermon of this good woman, and in the course of
his address said: "She was a faithful mother to many, and a well
known, highly esteemed woman in Crown Point for nearly fifty years."

Doctor Krost and wife are the parents of two children : Karl
Lathrop Krost, born May 12, 1896; and John Rodger Krost, born
November 9, 1898. Both were born in Crown Point and are now
attending the Crown Point High School.

N. P. Banks. While with the business community of Lake County,
Mr. Banks is perhaps best known as scientific farmer and banker-, the



492 LAKE COUNTY AND THE CALUMET REGION

usefulness of his long and active career has not been entirely confined to
his achievements in practical commercial and agricultural life. When
a boy during the dark days of the '60s he fought as a Union soldier, and
is one of the few surviving veterans who are still active in business
affairs. In a later paragraph mention will be made of a number of
important movements in civic affairs of which Mr. Banks has been inter-
ested, and his influence and leadership has been as substantial facts in
his career as his individual success. Mr. Banks is president of the First
State Bank of Hobart.

His birth occurred in Lake County, Ohio, in 1846, but when he was
six weeks old his parents moved to Laporte County, Indiana, and when
he was seven years of age they established their home in Lake County,
Indiana. The common schools supplied his early instruction until he
was sixteen, and it is an interesting fact that the school he attended in
those early days is still standing as a landmark illustrating educational
progress, the building being at least sixty-five years old.

Early in his youth the nation became involved in the serious busi-
ness of war, and at the age of sixteen young Banks enlisted in Miller's
Chicago Battery, and saw three years of active service in the various
campaigns of the Middle West. He held the rank of sergeant, and was
generally called the "kid of the company." He participated in the
great Battle of Chickamauga during the Atlanta campaign, in the cam-
paign through Eastern Tennessee, and was also at Chattanooga. His
command was a part of the Fourth Army Corps, to which a large share
of the credit is given for defeating Hood's army. Though in so many
battles and through so much hard service for three years, Mr. Banks
was never wounded, and returned to Lake County a veteran soldier at
the age of nineteen years. His schooling was then continued until he had
fitted himself for a teacher, and while instructing a schoolroom full of
boys and girls during the winter he followed farming, first as a renter
and then invested his savings in a small place of eighty acres. With
that as a nucleus he kept increasing his farm land until he had a fine
estate of 240 acres. In subsequent years as an incident of his general
prosperity he has dealt extensively in farm lands, but has always kept
his farm of 240 acres, and uses it for dairy and mixed farming, raising
cattle, hogs, sheep and sending everything to the market in a form of
product which will not decrease the fertility of the soil. Mr, Banks is
an exponent of modern scientific "farming methods, and the value of his
advocacy of such methods is strengthened by the peculiar success which
lie has himself made by following out his ideas. Before the Farmers
Institute of his section lie lias read several papers, and agriculture is
a topic on which he can discourse ably and interestingly by the hour.
Farming, says Mr. Banks, as a science is still in its infancy, and the
results which will follow from a general adoption of the improved
methods now advocated will increase the economic wealth of the country
astonishingly, and farming will really become what it has long been
proclaimed as the solid basic industry of America. Mr. Banks main-
tains that agriculture will be an integral part of instruction in every
school.

lie is president of the First State Bank, which has a capital of
$25,000 and $8,000 surplus, and its stockholders are all well-known
citizens in this section of Indiana. Besides his farming and banking



LAKE COUNTY AND THE CALUMET REGION 493

business he is also interested in real estate and has transacted a number
of important deals in Lake County.

Mr. Banks married Clara Chandler, who was born in Vermont, but
was brought to Ross Township in Lake County when a child. They
have four children, all daughters. The oldest daughter married J. M.
Sholl, who died, leaving live children. The other married daughter is
the wife of Dr. John W. Iddings, of Lowell, Indiana, and they have
five children. The other two daughters, who are both at home, are
Carrie and Florence.

Mr. Banks has long been identified with the Grand Army of the
Republic and also with the Masonic order. Until about three years
ago his home was on his farm, about two miles out of town, but he then
built a bungalow and moved into the Town of Hobart. He is secretary
of the Farmers Mutual Insurance Company, covering fire and lightning
insurance, with headquarters at Hobart, and all its business limited to
Lake County. Its policies outstanding and covering the property of
the county amount to about four million dollars in insurance. Mr.
Banks is a republican in politics.

It is a matter of both personal and civic pride to Mr. Banks that the
first rural free delivery route in the West was started from Hobart,
and it was he who took the lead in getting that experiment tried. The
first gravel road in Lake County had Hobart as its terminal point, and
extended from there to the waters of Lake Michigan, a distance of
eleven miles. This improved highway became a factor in rural free
delivery proposition, since a good highway was almost essential to the
success of delivery of mail in the country districts. Mr. Banks got up
the petition applying for a rural route, wrote to Congressman Crum-
packer, and as a result the postoffice department elected Hobart as its
point of experiment in this part of the country. In 1897 Mr. Banks
also was chiefly instrumental in having the plan of free transportation
for public school children first given a practical trial in Indiana at
Hobart. As a result of his correspondence with the state superin-
tendent, who said that Mr. Banks not only had the right, but it was
his duty to have facilities for the children to get to school, a vehicle
was provided to bring in the children living along one road to the
Hobart schools, and this experiment was one of those preliminary
to a broad application of the plan, now in use to a greater or less extent
in nearly every Indiana county. At the present time five busses travel
the roads running out of Hobart and bring in the children from the
country every morning and return them to their homes at night. The
schools of Hobart Township were the first in Lake County to float a
United States flag over the schoolhouses.

Northern State Bank. Samuel J. Watson. The finest bank build-
ing the Lake County is occupied by the Northern State Bank of Gary.
This handsome structure was completed in March, 1913, and affords
ample facilities for an institution which has been growing and pros-
pering steadily from its foundation. The Northern State Bank was
organized by Samuel J. Watson and his friends, and opened for busi-
ness on July 1, 1909. Mr. Watson was the first and is still president,
Harry Watson and II. H. Harries, vice presidents and W. D. Hunter,
cashier. The bank started with seventeen or more stockholders, and its
original capital was $50,000. In 1911 its stock was increased to $100,000,



494 LAKE COUNTY AND THE CALUMET REGION

and the prosperity and patronage of the bank are well indicated by
recent figures for deposits, which aggregated more than a third of a
million dollars. The bank was located at 581 Broadway until its pres-
ent home was completed.

Samuel J. Watson, president of the Northern State Bank, has had
a progressive and successful business career. Born in Pennsylvania in
1877, he graduated from Princeton University in 1899, and is an example
of the college man who has made good in the commercial world. For
eight years following his graduation he was in the milling business in
Chicago, and became treasurer of the Star and Crescent Milling Com-
pany of that city. In 1909 he came to Gary, and was one of the men
who were in at the foundation of the modern industrial city. Mr. Wat-
son has a wife and four children, and is one of the leading men, both in
business and ciyic affairs at Gary. He affiliates with the Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks and belongs to the University Club.

William Charles Belman. There are several reasons which justify
brief mention of Mr. Belman 's name and career in any history including
the City of Hammond. In the first place, he was upwards of twenty
years superintendent of the local schools, and it was under his direction
and largely as a result of his work that the admirable school system was
first organized and put on an effective basis. For many years Mr. Belman
has been best known to the citizens of Hammond as a banker, and as
cashier of the First National Bank has handled the funds and looked
after the patronage of the largest financial institution in Lake County.
In various other ways he has always been active as a citizen and business
man, and is one of the enterprising leaders in local affairs.

William Charles Belman was born in Detroit, Michigan, May 1, 1860.
William Fletcher Belman, his father, was a harness manufacturer of
Detroit. The maiden name of the mother was Matilda Sabine. Mr. Bel-
man received his early education in the public schools of Michigan, and
later attended the Valparaiso College at Valparaiso, Indiana. His early
career was all devoted to educational work, and for two years he was
principal of the schools at Lowell, in Lake County, and for eighteen years
was superintendent of schools at Hammond. When Mr. Belman took
charge of the Hammond schools in 1883, all the schools were conducted
in one building, the staff of instructors comprised five teachers, and there
were two hundred pupils. Before he gave up his work eighteen years
later, the Hammond school system had attained the proportions of a
large community, and he had the supervision of half a dozen school build-
ings, a large staff of teachers, and looked after the educational welfare
of several thousand pupils. In 1901, after leaving school work, Mr. Bel-
man was made cashier of the First National Bank of Hammond, and has
since held that office with credit and to the entire satisfaction of the
stockholders and general public. Mr. Belman was also one of the organiz-
ers and secretary and treasurer of the Lake County Savings and Trust
Company. Since 1888 he has been president of the Hammond Building,
Loan and Savings Association, an institution which he was also instru-
mental in organizing. In church affairs Mr. Belman has long been promi-
nent in the Hammond Methodist Church and has done a great deal of
work as a member of the official board. His fraternal affiliations are
with the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias, the Royal League, the
National Union, and he was one of the organizers of the Hammond
Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Belman 's first wife was Nettie E. Smith,





; :;;;"X5^;„ ::




vf




Wlllf/IIIKIlll i




B ~ *#



;&;/,:




LAKE COUNTY AND THE CALUMET REGION 495

and after her death he married Emma L. Rork, who is also deceased and
who was the mother of his only living child, Creighton Rork Belman, now
a student in school. Mr. Belman 's present wife was Sarah Starr, who
for many years was active in school work and was identified with the
Hammond schools before her marriage.

I

John W. Call. Some of Indiana's oldest stock is represented in the
new industrial City of Gary, and perhaps the best example is John W.
Call, who succeeded Mayor Knotts as postmaster in 1908, and is now
serving in his second term in that office. Mr. Call belongs to a family
which has been identified with Indiana for more than seventy-five years,
and he came from the thriving industrial City of Elwood in Madison
County to join in the development and assist the progress of the wonder-
ful community along the lake shore in northern Lake County.

John W. Call was born in Madison County, Indiana, March 17, 1847.
His parents, John and Mary Call, who came from North Carolina, settled
in Madison County in 1837. That was in the good old log cabin days,
when all kinds of game was to be had at the expense of very little effort
on the part of the hunter, and frequently deer and other animals could
be trapped on the doorway of a settler's home. The senior Call was in
his time and locality somewhat of a nimrod, and was noted for his skill
as a hunter. John W. Call was reared in Madison County, received an
education in the pioneer public schools, and also attended a seminary at
Marion. Mr. Call has the distinction of being one of the youngest sur-
vivors of the great war of the '60s, having volunteered in 1865, when
eighteen years old, and serving for several months in Company I of
the One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Indiana Regiment. He received an
honorable discharge from military service, and after returning to Madi-
son County spent about eighteen years more or less closely engaged in
educational work. At the same time he spent his summers clerking in
a drug store and in other occupations, and from 1874 to 1877 was pro-
prietor of a drug establishment of his own. During his long residence
at Elwood he devoted his attention to farming, to trading in livestock,
and was the possessor of a first class country home in Madison County.
His residence at Elwood covered a period of about twenty years. From
that city he moved to Gary in 1907, only a few months after building
operations had begun on an important scale. In a short time Mr. Call
was made street, inspector, and in 1908 was appointed postmaster. In
1912 he was again chosen for the same office, and his present term ex-
pires in 1916. During his residence in Elwood Mr. Call served as city



Online LibraryWilliam Frederick HowatA standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet region (Volume 2) → online text (page 3 of 57)
Using the text of ebook A standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet region (Volume 2) by William Frederick Howat active link like:
read the ebook A standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet region (Volume 2) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014