William George Bruce.

History of Milwaukee, city and county (Volume 3) online

. (page 56 of 109)
Online LibraryWilliam George BruceHistory of Milwaukee, city and county (Volume 3) → online text (page 56 of 109)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


entered the service of the firm of Landauer & Company of Milwaukee, being employed
at odd jobs and at the same time studying law in the office of Judge Paul D. Carpenter.
He next spent a year as a student in the law department of Valparaiso University
and one of his classmates was Governor Blaine, the present chief executive of Wis-
consin. In 1897 he was admitted to the bar and began practicing in Milwaukee, which
city has remained the scene of his professional labors. He has always practiced in-
dependently and has built up a lucrative and gratifying clientage, ably handling the
important litigated interests entrusted to his care. From 1900 until 1904 he served
as justice of the peace in Milwaukee and in April, 1920, was elected city attorney of
North Milwaukee, in which office he is the able and efficient incumbent.

On the 27th of October, 1900, Mr. Schottler was united in marriage to Miss Louise
Ott, a daughter of George and Katharine Ott, and they have become parents of two
children, Hazel and Louise. The family residence is in North Milwaukee. Fraternally
Mr. Schottler is identified with Lafayette Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Calumet Chapter,
R. A. M., the Knights of Pythias and the Eagles, while along strictly professional
lines his connection is with the Milwaukee County Bar Association. He served as
a member of the legal advisory board during the World war and contributed liberally
of his time and money in support of the interests of the government.



JOHN E. FERRIS.



John E. Ferris, proprietor of The John E. Ferris Intelligence Service of Mil-
waukee, came to this city from St. Louis, Missouri, where his birth occurred Sep-
tember 21, 1877. He is a son of William M. Ferris of Illinois and Sarah E. (Estill)
Ferris of Kentucky. The great-grandfather of Mr. Ferris in the maternal line was
Captain James Estill, who served with the rank of captain in the Virginia militia
and accompanied Daniel Boone into Kentucky, thus penetrating into a pioneer
region. He was killed in a fight with the Indians at Boonesboro, Kentucky, and
it was the record of such tragedies that brought to Kentucky the name of "the
dark and bloody ground." He was recognized by the colonial assembly as a
colonial patriot and his name stands high on the list of those who attended the
carrying of civilization into the western wilderness. The city of Galesburg. Illinois,
•was founded by the ancestors of Mr. Ferris. One of the name married a Miss Gale,
whose family had followed the Ferris family westward by wagon from New York
state. They determined upon the name of Galesburg. George Washington Gale
Ferris, who built the Ferris wheel at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago
in 1893, was a son of the union of a Miss Gale to a Mr. Ferris.

John E. Ferris is numbered among the hundreds who have profited by the
pioneer activities of his forefathers and others as civilization was carried farther
and farther westward. He attended the public schools of his native city and after-
ward became a student in the Washington University of St. Louis, being graduated
from the manual training department with the class of 1896. He next entered
Cornell University at Ithaca, New York, and later became a student in the Univer-
sity of Michigan, from which he was graduated on completing a scientific course
in 1900. He next became a student in the medical department of the St. Louis
University, which he attended in 1901-2. Later he represented the Louisiana Pur-
chase Exposition in the Michigan legislature in 1903, putting forth the claims of
the exposition for recognition by the Wolverine state. When that task was com-
pleted he joined the medical and scientific publication department of Parke Davis
& Company of Detroit, Michigan, and remained with the house until 1908. He
afterward engaged in the publishing business on his own account, founding and
publishing the Michigan Trade Review, a journal devoted to commerce and located
at Saginaw, Michigan. In 1913 Mr. Ferris joined the sales force of the Jewett &
Sherman Company of Milwaukee and in March, 1914, was advanced to the posi-
tion of city sales manager of that house, continuing in the position until the
spring of 1917, when he was appointed into the service of the bureau of investiga-
tion of the United States Department of Justice at the Milwaukee office. This
was the secret service branch of the department, under direct supervision of the
United States attorney general. In March, 1918, Mr. Ferris was transferred to the
Military Intelligence branch of the General Staff Corps of the United States army,
as agent in charge of the state of Wisconsin at Milwaukee. He continued thus to
serve until the close of the war, doing civilian secret service. It was his activity
of that character in behalf of the government that led him in November, 1918, to
establish The John E. Ferris Intelligence Service, confining its offices to corporation
and law firm work exclusively. In this connection the company has built up a
splendid clientele and its activities have been of a most important character. Mr.
Ferris is also the president of the Milwaukee Dishwasher Company of Milwaukee.




JOHN E. FERRIS



HISTORY OF MILWAUKEE 487

Wisconsin, and one of the developers and patentees of the Milwaukee Hydro-lectric
Dishwasher.

On the 11th of September, 1901, Mr. Ferris was married to Miss Elizabeth
Wylie of Saginaw, Michigan, who received the Ph. B. degree of the University of
Michigan. They have become parents of four children: James W., Elizabeth, John
E. Jr., and Robert Rodes.

In his political views Mr. Ferris has long been a republican. During the Roose-
velt campaign of 1912 he was special correspondent for several newspapers and
was the nominee in the same year on the Roosevelt ticket for the office of state
senator from the twenty-second Michigan district. He was also one of the dele-
gates from Wisconsin to the St. Louis caucus in May, 1919, when was organized
the American Legion, and was made chairman of the committee on organization at
that convention. He has been called upon for official duty in various public con-
nections, especially in the different societies to which he belongs. He has been
the vice president of the Cornell University Alumni Association of Wisconsin, and
is president of the University of Michigan Alumni Association of Wisconsin, hav-
ing been elected to this position in November, 1921. He was a member of the
board of governors of the Optimist Club of Milwaukee and editor of the Optimist
Fly Paper and he is a member of the Wisconsin Society of the Sons of the Amer-
ican Revolution. In March, 1921, he was elected second vice president of the
International Secret Service Association. He likewise has membership connection
wi\h the City Club, with the Milwaukee Association of Commerce, with the Masonic
fraternity and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His membership connec-
tions are indicative of his progressive spirit. He is constantly reaching out along
broadening lines and each forward step has brought him a wider opportunity, not
only for business advancement, but for public service and assistance to his fellow-
men and on no occasion has this opportunity been neglected by him.



JOHN LUICK.



John Luick, a respected resident of Milwaukee, who is approaching the eighty-
second milestone on life's journey, was born April 5, 1840, in Niagara county. New
York, his parents being Jacob and Elizabeth Luick, who were natives of the city of
Stuttgart, Wurttemberg, Germany. They came to America in 1825, settling near Niagara
Falls, where the father engaged in farming until 1851. He then sold his property in
the Empire state and removed to Milwaukee in the spring of that year. Here he
purchased an immigrant house, which he conducted for several years until the struc-
ture was destroyed by fire, proving a total loss, as he had no insurance.

John Luick was a lad of but eleven years when the family came to Milwaukee and
his education was acquired in the third ward school of this city but his opportunities
in that direction were quite limited, for he was only twelve years of age when he
began working, in order to provide for his own support. He entered the employ of
Henry Miller to learn the confectionery trade and continued with him for about six
years. He next worked for Henry George, making Christmas toys and continued in
that connection until the spring of 1861. Scarcely had the smoke from Fort Sumter's
guns cleared away when on the 16th of April of that year he enlisted for service in
the Union army, joining Company H, First Wisconsin Infantry under Colonel Stark-
weather, his term of enlistment being in response to the first call for three months
service. On the 21st of August he was mustered out and returned to Milwaukee.
On account of ill health he did not reenlist.

A little later Mr. Luick went to New York city, where he obtained employment
at his trade and there remained until the spring of 1864. In that year he obtained
a position at Norfolk, Virginia, where he continued until April, 1865. He was in New
York city at the time funeral services were there held for Abraham Lincoln.

Mr. Luick afterward returned to Milwaukee, where he was married in February,
1867, to Miss Monica Adler, a daughter of Philip and Maria Adler, who were natives
of Germany and early pioneer settlers of Milwaukee. Mr. and Mrs. Luick became
the parents of five children: John F., who has passed away; William F.; George F.,
also deceased; Maria Anna, the wife of Peter Hirshboeck of Milwaukee; and Henry
C, deceased. The wife and mother departed this life in November, 1876. and Mr.
Luick was married again in 1878, his second union being with Miss Elizabeth Hoff,
a daughter of Stephen A. Hoff. They had a family of five children, one of whom
died in infancy. The others are: Frank X.; Adolph J.; Catherine, now deceased;
and Ida E., who is a graduate of the Marquette Law School and is an attorney of
Milwaukee.

In the year of his first marriage Mr. Luick established business on his own account
at No. 248 West Water street, there engaging in the manufacture of candy, cakes and
ice cream. He remained at that location for six years and then sold out, after which



488 HISTORY OF MILWAUKEE

he purchased a place on Milwaukee street and carried on business there for thirty
years, or until 1903, when he retired. Through the intervening period of eighteen
years he has enjoyed a rest which he has truly earned and richly deserved. His life
was one of intense and well directed activity for many years and his enterprise and
diligence brought to him the measure of success which now supplies him with all of
the comforts and some of the luxuries of life. He was reared in the Catholic faith
and is now a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic church. His political allegiance
is given to the republican party and he proudly wears the little bronze button which
proclaims him a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and a veteran of the
Civil war.



WILLIAM FERDINAND LUICK.

A notable career of successful achievement is that of William Ferdinand Luick,
who is today at the head of the Luick Ice Cream Company, known throughout the
country as one of the most extensive manufacturers of ice cream in the United States.
The business has been developed through the enterprise and energy of Mr. Luick, in
whose vocabulary there is no such word as fail. Obstacles and difficulties in his path
seemed to serve but as an impetus for renewed effort on his part and his entire
course has been characterized by constructive methods that have not only upbuilded
his own fortunes but have constituted a very substantial source of Milwaukee's busi-
ness greatness and prosperity. Mr. Luick was born in this city December 7, 1869, and
is a son of John and Monica (Adler) Luick. the former a native of Niagara Falls,
New York. The mother passed away in 1876. The father married again and he and
his wife make their home in Milwaukee, where they have many friends.

William F. Luick obtained his early education in St. Mary's parochial schools,
from which he was graduated at the age of twelve years and later he attended Mar-
quette College. When a youth of fourteen he initiated his business career by entering
the employ of a plumber as clerk and office helper, there remaining for two years.
On the expiration of that period he accepted employment in his father's confectionery
establishment at No. 433 Milwaukee street. There he learned the business with which
he acquainted himself in principle and detail, remaining as 'assistant to his father for
several years. At the age of nineteen he went to New York city, where he remained
for a year and gained further business knowledge and experience in the eastern
metropolis. He next returned to Milwaukee and once more entered his father's estab-
lishment but afterward went to Chicago, where he was employed by one of the leading
confectioners of the city. When he again came to Milwaukee he resumed business
associations with his father and on the 1st of April, 1897, established the Luick Ice
Cream manufacturing plant. He first rented a place on Sixth and Grand streets, in
the rear of a building and established business with a cash capital of but seven hundred
dollars. A few months later he bought a place on Jackson and Ogden streets, arrang-
ing the terms of payment on the property which necessarily had to be bought on
credit. There he conducted his ice cream and confectionery manufacturing estab-
lishment and the business grew with great rapidity, so that at the end of about five
years he disposed of his retail and manufacturing confectionery interest in order to
concentrate his entire time and attention upon the ice cream business. He established
an exclusive ice cream manufacturing plant and has since bent every energy toward
the development and upbuilding of the trade, so that in the year 1920 his business
reached nearly two million dollars, representing an output of over one million five
hundred thousand gallons of ice cream. His is one of the largest and best equipped
ice cream manufacturing plants in the United States and was the first in the country
to manufacture brick ice cream by machinery. In fact, this factory has the only ma-
chinery of the kind in America. The company produces more gallons of brick ice cream
than any factory in the United States and its success is due to quality and reliable
business methods. The most sanitary conditions prevail in every branch of the factory
and it has a complete laboratory under the direction of a registered chemist. The
highest standards are thus maintained in making the firm's products and its progres-
sive sales methods have brought most substantial results to the upbuilding and ex-
pansion of the trade.

On the 10th of May, 1S93, in St. Gall's church in Milwaukee, Mr. Luick was united
in marriage to Miss Clara B. Bangs, a daughter of Jesse Austin and Matilda Jane
( Eckert ) Bangs. Her father is a descendant of Edward Bangs, the Pilgrim, the
ancestral line thus being traced back to 1591. The first of the family in America
crossed the Atlantic to Plymouth. Massachusetts, in 1623. Mr. and Mrs. Luick became
parents of two daughters: Edna, now deceased: and Marguerite E., who is the wife
of Roman A. Brodesser and they have one child, Nancy Clare. Mr. Brodesser is asso-
ciated in business with Mr. Luick.

The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church and Mr. Luick



HISTORY OF MILWAUKEE 489

belongs to the Knights of Columbus and is likewise a member of all leading clubs of
the city. He served two terms as national president of the Association of Ice Cream
Manufacturers. He is a life member of the City Club and of the Athletic Club and has
always given his political support to the republican party. While he has never sought
nor desired political preferment he has stood loyally in support of the principles in
which he believes, yet has allowed nothing to interfere with the capable conduct of his
business interests. He has never feared to venture where favoring opportunity has led
the way. possessing character and ability, and these qualities have carried him into
most important commercial relations.



IRVING SEAMAN.



Irving Seaman, prominent in the business circles of Milwaukee as secretary and
treasurer of the Seaman Body Corporation, manufacturers of automobile bodies, was
born in this city on the Sth of August, 1881, a son of William Stewart and Kate D.
(Hibbard) Seaman. The grandfather, Alonzo Duretto Seaman, was born in New York
state and located in Milwaukee in 1840. His son, William Stewart, was here born and
became prominent in industrial circles as manufacturer of automobile bodies and
telephone booths. He passed away in 1910, a representative citizen of this community.
Mrs. Seaman, who survives, was also born in this city, a daughter of William B.
Hibbard.

Irving Seaman attended the German-English Academy and the East Side high
school, and upon graduating from the latter institution in 1899, enrolled in the Uni-
versity of Wisconsin. In 1903 he was graduated therefrom, receiving the degree of
Bachelor of Science. While a student at the University he was prominent in all
campus activities and he became a member of Chi Psi, a national college fraternity.
Upon the completion of his education he went to Philadelphia, where he became experi-
mental engineer with the Electric Storage Battery Company, a connection he main-
tained for three years. The last two years he was sales engineer for that company
in Chicago. In 1906 he came to Milwaukee and associated with his father in the conduct
of the W. S. Seaman Company, making telephone booths and switchboards. In 1909
they commenced making automobile bodies. The following year W. S. Seaman died and
the concern was then incorporated as the W. S. Seaman Company, with Irving Seaman
as secretary. In 1919 the name was changed to the Seaman Body Corporation, with
H. H. Seaman, who entered the business in 1910, as president; J. T. Wilson, vice presi-
dent: and Irving Seaman, secretary and treasurer. The corporation manufactures
closed automobile bodies for the different makes of cars and sells them to their repre-
sentative companies. The business has grown to extensive and important proportions
and the Nash Motors Company still retains the interest it acquired in the corporation
in 1919.

On the 28th of July, 1920, Mr. Seaman was united in marriage to Miss Anne Douglas,
a daughter of Harry Douglas of Great Barrington. Massachusetts, who is now living
retired. He is a native of New York. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Seaman one son
has been born, Douglas. His birth occurred on the 27th of April, 1921. Politically Mr.
Seaman is a republican but he never takes an active interest in party affairs. He is
a consistent member of St. Paul's Episcopal church of Milwaukee. Socially he is
identified with the University Club, of which he was president during the years 1919
and 1920; the Milwaukee Club; the Town Club, of which he was president in 1918; the
Fox Point Club, the Milwaukee Country Club and the Rotary Club. He is interested in
all that pertains to Milwaukee's progress and upbuilding and is a member of the
Association of Commerce and the City Club. He .was in Washington during the World
war as a dollar-a-year man on the War Industries Board. Mr. Seaman is an outdoor
man and is a golf and tennis player, having won the state championship in the doubles
one year. He is also fond of motoring. He looks at life from the standpoint of a
practical, energetic business man who is cognizant of the fact that opportunities are
open to all and that the attainment of success depends upon the energy, determination
and persistency of purpose of him who seeks it.



CHARLES A. TRESTER.



Charles A. Trester, president of the Milwaukee Soda Supply Company and also
of the Peerless Products Company, possesses those resolute and determined qualities
which, guided by sound judgment, constitute the basis of individual success and also
feature in the commercial growth and development of the community. He has always
lived in the state which is still his home and Milwaukee today claims him as a repre-
sentative citizen. His birth occurred in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, March 27, 1861, his



490 HISTORY OF MILWAUKEE

parents being Adam and Ann (Groeff) Trester. both of whom were natives of Germany,
whence they came to the United States in 1854. They first took up their abode in
Milwaukee but afterward removed to Sheboygan, where the father was engaged in the
clothing business. For some time he also filled the position of cutter with the firm of
Mueller Brothers, tailors of Milwaukee. For several terms he filled the office of alder-
men in Sheboygan and was keenly interested in the public welfare. Both he and his
wife are deceased.

Charles A. Trester was educated in the schools of his native city to the age of
seventeen years and in 1878 he came to Milwaukee. Here he worked at the printer's
trade for a time and then entered the employ of E. R. Pantke & Company, dealers in
hats and furs on East Water street. He remained with that house for twenty years,
having charge of the business through a considerable period and later he became asso-
ciated with Gimbel Brothers, when they opened their hat and cap department. A year
later he established a clothing store at Twentieth street and Fond du Lac avenue
and there continued in business for five years, at the end of which time he sold to
Stumpf & Langhoff. In company with Otto Imse he then organized the Milwaukee Soda
Supply Company, which in 191 6 was incorporated with a capital stock of ten thousand
dollars, with Charles A. Trester as president, Mrs. Antonia Imse, vice president, Otto
Imse, secretary, and Mrs. Augusta Trester. treasurer. They manufacture all kinds
of carbonated beverages and syrups and largely sell to the local trade. They occupy
a building thirty by one hundred and fifty feet and they are now at the head of a
substantial business enterprise returning to them a gratifying annual income. Mr.
Trester is the originator of the method of carbonating root beer in steel tanks which
are tapped without any extra pressure put on. This product was placed on the market
only in the season of 1921 and he is also the patentee of the foam regulator which
is attached to the faucet in the keg.

In 1887 Mr. Trester was married to Augusta Polzin, who was born in Germany
and came to the United States with her parents when only about a year old. Mr.
and Mrs. Trester have two sons: Herault A. and Carl P. The latter was in the war
service school for bakers and cooks, located at Camp Grant. He was on duty there
for fourteen months and received a commission as first-class sergeant, remaining at
Camp Grant throughout his connection with the army and for six months after the
armistice was signed he engaged in feeding the men going to their homes. He is now
associated with his father in business. The eldest son. Herault A., is chief engineer
with the Metal Forms Corporation of Milwaukee. Coming to this city when a youth
of seventeen years empty-handed, Charles A. Trester has steadily worked his way
upward in business, utilizing every opportunity that has come to him, his capability
and worth gaining him advancement from time to time when in the employ of others,
while his thrift and industry eventually made it possible for him to engage in business
on his own account. He is today at the head of an important productive industry and
his business is steadily increasing.



I. JAMES MYERS.



I. James Myers, manager and one of the owners of the Eagle Lye Works of
Milwaukee, is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, his birth having occurred in
that city on the 2d of February, 1868. The family is of Swiss origin and the
grandfather was a shepherd of Switzerland, where he spent his life, never visiting
the United States. His son, Lehman Myers, who died in 1894, was born in Zurich,
Switzerland, and came to the United States when about thirteen years of age, in
company with a brother-in-law. He settled first at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and
afterward engaged in the retail grocery business there. As the years have gone
by he developed his interests along that line and became a wholesale grocer of
Philadelphia. During the raid of the Confederate forces into Pennsylvania in 1863,
which ended in the battle of Gettysburg, he was forcibly impressed into the Con-
federate service. After the Civil war he gave up his Philadelphia business and
came to Milwaukee, where he established a store for the sale of lace curtains and



Online LibraryWilliam George BruceHistory of Milwaukee, city and county (Volume 3) → online text (page 56 of 109)