William H. (William Henry) Chaffee.

The Chaffee genealogy, embracing the Chafe, Chafy, Chafie, Chafey, Chafee, Chaphe, Chaffie, Chaffey, Chaffe, Chaffee descendants of Thomas Chaffe, of Hingham, Hull, Rehoboth and Swansea, Massachusets; also certain lineages from families in the United States, Canada and England, not descended from Th online

. (page 66 of 91)
Online LibraryWilliam H. (William Henry) ChaffeeThe Chaffee genealogy, embracing the Chafe, Chafy, Chafie, Chafey, Chafee, Chaphe, Chaffie, Chaffey, Chaffe, Chaffee descendants of Thomas Chaffe, of Hingham, Hull, Rehoboth and Swansea, Massachusets; also certain lineages from families in the United States, Canada and England, not descended from Th → online text (page 66 of 91)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of which his wife is also a member, at the age of twenty-four, and sung in the
choir. At the outbreak of the Civil War, although only fourteen years of age,
and at boarding school, he enlisted in the Union army in a company composed
of his school fellows, and commanded by one of his professors, but on learning
of his enlistment his parents had his name stricken from the roll, to his great
disappointment. The following year a married brother enlisted, and in response
to the combined entreaties of his wife and younger brother, the latter was al-
lowed to go in the elder's place. He was enrolled as Sergeant in Company H,
120th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, August 19, 1862, in East Union, O., and was
mustered in for three years, October 14, 1862, in Mansfield, 0. He fought in the
Red River Campaign and was taken prisoner on Red River. He was confined
in Camp Ford, Texas, for thirteen months; six months of this time he and his
fellow prisoners were without any kind of shelter from sun or storm, but finally
they were allowed to go from the stockade and bring in logs, from which they
constructed little huts. A stream of good water flowed through the stockade,
thus making the situation a little less unbearable than it would otherwise have
been. Many died, but Doctor Stauffer came through the long, weary trial, and
was discharged at the close of the war, in the spring of 1865. He went to Fari-
bault, Minn., in 1867, to practice dentistry, and there met, in musical circles,
Harriet C. Chaffee. They lived in Mankato imtil the winter of 1880-81, when
they moved to California, locating in Santa Barbara, where Doctor Stauffer died
of Bright's disease. He was warm-hearted, had a genial disposition, and had
hosts of friends in all classes of society.

Harriet Cornelia Chaffee moved from Enfield to Red Wing, Minn., when she
was ten years old, and soon after the death of her father. In speaking of the
trip she says:

"When my mother with her three younger children moved from Connecticut
to Minnesota, we went from La Crosse, Wis., to Red Wing, Minn., by the steamer
'City Belle.' Our new home was near the river, and we used to watch to see that
boat once more, but we never saw it. Later we learned that the Government was
using it as a transport ; still later, I found that the ' City Belle ' was sunk at Red
River, from which my husband, with many others, had to swim to rebel shores."

Mrs. Stauffer lives with her daughter in Los Angeles, Cal.

Children :

5503 i A son,8 died aged two days.

5504 ii A son, died aged three hours.

5505 iii A son, died at birth.

5506 iv Myra Elizabeth Stauffer, born February 12, 1876; residence, 1907,

Los Angeles.

5507 V Alice Chaffee Stauffer, born October 18, 1879; died January 10, 1881.

3711 William » Chaffee (Samuel,^ William,^ Isaiah,^ Joseph,^ John,3 Joseph,^
Thomas i) was born in Enfield, Conn., November 29, 1848, and married in Red
Wing, Minn., January 19, 1876, Christina, daughter of Joseph Place of St. George,
Vt. In 1887 Mr. Chaffee lived in Minneapolis, Minn.


(Children :

5508 i Samuel W.9 Chaffee, born September 27, 1876.

5509 ii Hattie A. Chaffee, born April 11, 1878.

5510 iii William H. Chaffee, born June 4, 1880.

5511 iv Charles E. Chaffee, born November 3, 1884; died March 29, 1886.

5512 V Clinton E. Chaffee, born May 31, 1887.

3715 Joseph « Wadsworth (Hannah ^ Chaffe, Joseph, ^ Isaiah, s Joseph,^ John, 3
Joseph, 2 Thomas i) was born in Erieville, N. Y., and died in Chittenango Falls,
N. Y. He married (1) Sylvia Spear; (2) May Campbell; (3) Jane Coon, who died.
He was a carpenter and millwright and lived for several years in the oil region
of Pennsylvania, at the time when oil was first discovered there. He was buried
in Chittenango Falls.

Children :

5513 Charles 9 Wadsworth.

5514 Evaline Wadsworth, married Wormouth of Chittenango Falls,

where they lived in 1890.

3719 Charlotte s Brown (Betsey ^ Chaffe, Joseph,6 Isaiah,^ Joseph,* John,3
Joseph, 2 Thomas i) was born in Erieville, N. Y., May 8, 1814, and died there,
August 10, 1882. She married, February 10, 1836, William Richardson of Erie-
ville, where they lived and where she was buried.

Children, born in Erieville:

5515 i Loretta^ Richardson, born September 14, 1840; married E. Gaston of

^lorrisville, N. Y., where they lived in 1906.

5516 ii Gertrude Richardson, born April 30, 1846; died in Dundee, 111., June 6,

1899; married (1) in Erieville, in 1870, Albert F. Burges, a civil
engineer, who died there, April 26, 1890; he was for twenty years
a railroad constructor; she married (2), March 18, 1894, James W.
Morse, and moved to Dundee.

5517 iii Eva Richardson, born August 10, 1852; in 1899 was sent by the AVoman's

Baptist Home Mission Society as a missionary to the colored people
of Vicksburg, Miss., where she still lives, unmarried, and enjoys
her work.

3728 Sarah « Chaffe (William,^ Joseph,^ Isaiah,^ Joseph,* John, 3 Joseph,2
Thomas i) was born in Erieville, N. Y., February 14, 1814, and died May 11,
1899. She married, in 1836, Jonathan Wellington of Erieville, where they lived.

Children :

5518 i George ^ Wellington, married.

5519 ii Lewis Wellington, married.

3731 Lucy 8 Chaffe (William, 7 Joseph,6 Isaiah,5 Joseph,* John, 3 Joseph,2
Thomas i) was born January 14, 1820, and married, in November, 1841, David
Hamilton of Erieville, N. Y. In 1890 they lived in Nelson Flats, N, Y.

Children :

5520 i Irwin 9 Hamilton, born in August, 1842; married in January, 1865,

Emma Everts ; has two sons and a daughter.

5521 ii Harriet Hamilton, born February 14, 1844; married Henry Enghsh;

has three sons and a daughter, living in Erieville.

5522 iii Louisa Hamilton, born in 1846; married L. D. English, brother of

Henry English; has two sons and a daughter.
+ 5523 iv Levert Hamilton, born in March, 1850; married Harriet Ransom.

5524 V Frank Hamilton, born in December, 1857; married Brown

of Erieville; no children.


3732 Francis N.s ChafEe (William,^ Joseph, e Isaiah,^ Joseph/ John, 3 Joseph, 2
Thomas i) was born Februarj- 17, 1822, and married Milo Jennie. In 1890 they
were living in Erieville, X. Y,

Children :
+ 5525 Frank Leroy ^ Chaffe, married May Humphrey.
Three other children, died, names unknown.

3735 Thomas Grant « Chaphe (Joseph Manning, ^ Joseph, ^ Isaiah, ^ Joseph,*
John, 3 Joseph, 2 Thomas 1) was born in Westmoreland, Oneida County, X. Y.,
August 14, 1822, and died in Morrisville, X. Y., January 23, 1897. He married,
October 19, 1848, Cassandria Wells, daughter of Hiram and Sylvia Stone of Erie-
ville, X. Y. She was born September 21, 1831, and died in Morrisville, June 11,
1905. She was small in stature, of delicate health, and of a retiring, lovable dis-
position. She was a consistent member of the Methodist Church.

Thomas Grant Chaphe received his education in the district school in Erie-
ville, and in that near the farm north of Morrisville, on which he lived with his
father until his marriage. In 1849 he was living on a farm near Erieville, and
spent the seven years following in farming and running a saw-mill north of Morris-
ville. In October, 1856, he and his brother Joseph moved with their families to
Richmond, Bay County, Mo., on their way stopping to visit their brother Andrew
in Rochester, X. Y. Thomas and Joseph worked as carpenters, painters and
builders in Richmond. The latter died in 1858, and the following year his wife
and son returned to X'^ew York state. At the outbreak of the Civil War Thomas
was arrested as a suspected spy and was kept in prison for a day until he was
identified by a prominent citizen and released. Soon after this he returned with
his wife and three children to Xew York state, where he settled in Valley I\Iills,
where he was employed by Armour, Black & Wilder. Later he worked as a car-
penter for Mr. Stringer in Munsville, X. Y., and for several j^ears following as a
farmer for Captain Strong. He finally settled on the Wilson farm, between Stock-
bridge and Munsville, where he lived for five years, and later bought the Grove
farm, south of the latter town. This property he sold in 1878 to his son Hiram E.
Chaphe, moving to the farm of his brother-in-law near Morrisville. Here he lived
for some time, finally buying a home on L^nion Street in Morrisville, where he
spent his declining 3^ears. He was a great sufferer for many years from asthma,
but worked when he was able, principally in a cheese factory. He was tall and of
a commanding presence, firm, temperate and honorable. He and his wife are
both buried in Morrisville.
Children :

5526 i Cassandria Gertrude « Chaphe, born in Erieville, July 29, 1849; died
in Morrisville, July 22, 1883; married, October 7, 1879, Morris
Edwards of Morrisville, where they lived until her death of
typhoid fever; in 1856 she moved with her parents to Rich-
mond, Mo., where she attended school near her home; when
they returned to Xew York she went to school in IMunsville,
later learning the dressmaker's trade in Morrisville, where she
worked until her marriage; she had a kind and pleasant dis-
position, always doing good and helping others; she had no chil-
+ 5527 ii Hiram Eugene Chaphe, born July 19, 1851; married A. E. Annie

+ 5528 iii Thomas Francis Chaphe, born September 18, 1855; married (1)
Mary S. Fisher; (2) Mary Cooney.


5529 iv Melvin Chaphe, born in Richmond; died there aged four weeks.
+ 5530 V Anna Sylvia Chaphe, born November 28, 1862; married Dwight

3737 George Franklin « Chaphe (Joseph Manning,^ Joseph,^ Isaiah,^ Joseph,^
John, 3 Joseph,2 Thomas i) was born in Whitestown, N. Y., August 28, 1826,
and died in Morrisville, N. Y., April 2, 1855. He married in Hamilton, N. Y.,
November 3, 1852, Flavilla M., daughter of Hiram and Sylvia Stone of Erieville,
N. Y. She was born May 14, 1834, and after Mr. Chaphe's death moved to Eaton,
N. Y., where she married (2), October 31, 1860, Isaac M. Johnson. Smce his
death she has lived with her daughter in Huron, S. D., Tacoma, Wash., and in
1906 in Los Angeles, Cal.

George F. Chaphe moved with his parents to Erieville in 1830, and the follow-
ing year to a farm near Morrisville. Here he attended school, being bright and
ambitious. After leaving school he continued to stud}' the higher mathematics
without the aid of a teacher. He was helpful and intelligent in his farm work,
living with his father until 1850, when he bought the Lumbard farm, adjoining
his father's on the west. This he cultivated successfully until his death of brain
fever, after an illness of two days. He was tall and well built, with a good dis-
position and a keen intelligence. He was buried in Morrisville.

Children, born near ^Morrisville :

5531 i Elizabeth ]\1.9 Chaphe, born May 1, 1854; married in Cazenovia, N. Y.,
June 18, 1878, Charles 0., son of Joseph E. and Mary (Holmes)
Morgan of Hamilton, N. Y. [See Appendix K.] C. O. Morgan
was born in Smithfield, N. Y., 5lay 7, 1854; he went to school and
worked on a farm until the age of nineteen, when he met with an
accident through which he lost his left arm; he then took the
scientific course in Madison University, Hamilton, graduating
in June, 1879; lived in Earlville two years, in Morrisville three
years; admitted to the Bar in November, 1882, and the following
year moved to Huron, Beadle County, Dak. (now S. D.), where
he was Deputy Register of Deeds until January 1, 1887, Deputy
County Treasurer until January 1, 1889, County Auditor until
1891, when he removed to Tacoma, Wash., where he lived until
1894; he then moved to Los Angeles, Cal., where in 1906 he was
an attorney and Notary Public; there he was for four years Judge
of the Municipal Court and also engaged in the oil business ; he has
a kind and cheerful disposition and is admired and honored by his
associates; Elizabeth (Chaphe) Morgan was left fatherless when an
infant and moved with her mother to Eaton, N. Y., where she re-
ceived her education ; she is a talented musician, devoting herself
to vocal music; she has sung in public and is a successful music
teacher, her ambitions in that direction, however, being limited by
her lack of physical strength; she has no children.
-1-5532 ii Franklin George Chaphe, born October 29, 1855; married Flora Buell.

3738 Joseph Babcock s Chaphe (Joseph Manning,^ Joseph,^ Isaiah,' Joseph,*
John, 3 Joseph,2 Thomas i) was born near ^^^litesto■«-n, N. Y., August 20, 1827,
and died in Richmond, Bay County, ^lo., July 31 (29), 1858. He married, July 4,
1852, Caroline M. Childs. After his death she married (2) Alonzo Hopkins, and
lives near West Eaton, N. Y.

Joseph B. Chaphe lived in Erieville, N. Y., and near Morrisville, N. Y., in early
life, being educated in the district schools. At the age of twenty-one he learned
the carpenter's trade and worked in ^lorrisville until his marriage, afterward


working in Dunkirk, Morrisville and vicinity. In 1856 in company with his brother
Thomas he moved to Richmond, Mo., where he became a house builder. He was
a hard and energetic worker, but never largely profited by his labor. He was
temperate, kind-hearted and always ready to help others. He died of a fever
after twenty days' illness and was buried in Richmond. His wife and son re-
turned in 1859, to Eaton, N. Y., where they lived with Joseph Manning Chaphe,
until Caroline (Childs) Chaphe remarried.

Children :

5533 i Irving Joseph » Chaphe, born near Morrisville in July, 1853; died in

Golden, Colo., December 19, 1879; went with his parents to Missouri
in 1856, later returning to live with his grandfather Chaphe; on his
mother's second marriage he made his home with her, afterwards
living with his aunt, Mrs. Short; here he went to school for tv/o
years, being fond of reading and study and being said by his teacher
to have had "the greatest mind and keenest ideas" of any scholar
she had ever taught; at the age of fourteen his stepfather forced
him to return home, where he lead an unhappy life, working hard,
and receiving little reward; he left home and went out into the
world to make his way, becoming a coal miner in Illinois at the age
of nineteen; here he stayed for two years, then became a laborer
in ^Missouri for a like period, in May, 1876, going to Denver, Colo.,
and in the following month to Georgetown, Colo., where in partner-
ship with another man, he staked a claim and drove a tunnel four
feet by six and eighty feet in length; not finding paying ore, the
claim was abandoned and Mr. Chaphe mined for others; later he
returned as far as Golden, where he died of pneumonia: a local
paper said of him : " He was a well known and highly respected miner,
who had resided here for sometime, making friends of all with whom
he became acquainted. In the death of Mr. Chaphe we suffer the
loss of one of our best citizens."

5534 ii Ellen Caroline Chaphe, born in Eaton; died in De Ruyter, N. Y., in

April, 1855.

3741 Andrew Jackson » Chaphe (Joseph Manning,^ Joseph, ^ Isaiah, ^ Joseph, <
John,3 Joseph,2 Thomas i) was born near Morrisville, N. Y., June 14, 1834, and
married in New York City, November 1, 1858, Mary A. Condon.

I\Ir. Chaphe 's recollections of a long life are best told in his own words:

"I was born on a hill in a large red farm house surrounded with shade and fruit
trees, where the sun shone brighter and the birds sang sweeter than in any other
place. My mother had a mild nature — I never saw her angry. She was kind-
hearted, assisting those less fortunate, never wishing others to know of it. She was
sick with consumption for two years, patient, resigned, never complaining, and
died when I was ten years old. She was of Holland descent ; her parents were burnt
out in New Jersey during the Revolutionary War. I remember hearing them tell
of seeing their furniture broken up and used as fuel for cooking the British officers'

" I was a weak child, could not stand alone until many months older than other
children, was slow of speech, could not talk plain and did not attend school until
seven years of age. I was considered dull, was fat and when I attempted to run
would fall. I seldom took an active part in the sports and plays of other boys.
At about the age of fifteen I grew tall and slim. Although brought up on a farm
I was not a farmer, my father and older brothers doing the farm work while I
worked in the house. I attended district school and did housework until I was
fifteen, then went to school and did farm work until I was eighteen. The two
following winters I attended school at Morrisville with my younger brother Henry.
I inherited a taste for reading, a weakness for poetry, but no knowledge of music.



I was thankful I came on earth after Shakespeare and Byron. At the age of
eighteen I went into a machine shop and served a hard apprenticeship. During
this time I read and studied mechanical works, but had little time or attention for
amusements. I did stable work, cleaned castings, cut screws by hand, etc., with
no chance to learn or practice good machinist's work. Finally in 1855 I went
away among strangers, — a tramp. I begged for employment before it was obtained,
and when secured, exerted myself to the utmost. One day's wages did not pay
for two days' board. I never had to ask for employment or influence after that.
My first work was for C. S. Hall, in Rochester, N. Y., building rollers for gold foil
instead of 'gold beating.' Later I did heavy mill work to connect the water wheels
of a flouring mill with a steam engine; before this work was quite completed I
was chosen by Messrs. Green and Hunter, who had arrived from Hartford, Conn.,
to assist them in erecting a 24x60 inch upright condensing engine (the first in
Rochester) to be used during low water of the Genessee river, in the ' Model Mills '
owned by Joseph Hall, father of C. S. Hall. My relations with Green and Hunter
were pleasant, mj;- services satisfactory, and when the engine was completed and
running, I did the firing for it. The following summer, 1856, I was assistant to
the engineer, J. S. Hunter, and generally had charge at night. The friendships
formed at this time have continued for fifty years. When not required on the
engine. Hunter and I worked in the machine shop of Joseph Hall. This year I
joined the Rochester Light Guards, D. M. Dewey, Commander. In the summer of
1857, Messrs. Thompson, Hart and others arrived from Hartford to erect a 42x90
inch beam engine for S. P. Ely's flouring mill, near Hall's, and during the autumn
I had charge of running this engine, the largest built by Woodruff & Beach at that
time. During the following winter I visited relatives in Central New York and
later New York City and Philadelphia. In the spring of 1858 I began work for
Woodruff & Beach of Hartford, Conn. Here I learned my trade. I was given a
good chance in the shop, which I improved by learning much and taking a great
interest in my work; for five months I lost no time, improving every moment.
I did much work on the pumping engine and also on a 14 inch W. & B. built for
the Fair of the American Institute, working on it many nights, without charge for
time. This engine was well built and highly finished; it was burnt during the Fair
in the fire of the Crystal Palace, New York City, October 5th, 1858. I assisted in
the erection of the pumping engine at Cypress Hills, L. I., during the winter of
1858-59, a hard winter's work, performed with credit, and followed by a voluntary
raise of wages on returning to the shop. In 1859 Woodruff & Beach built the
engines for the sloop of war Mohican; I worked on them in the shop and in the
summer was sent to the Kittery (Portsmouth) Navy Yard to assist in placing
them in the vessel, being given important work which I executed satisfactorily.
I visited Portsmouth and the surrounding country. I went on the Mohican on
her trial trip, arriving in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, after being eleven days at sea.
The vessel sailed to join the African Squadron, January 19th, 1860, and I returned
to Hartford, having been on the Mohican five months. In the spring of 1860
I had charge of building and erecting an engine in Brooklyn, N. Y., and on return-
ing to Hartford began housekeeping, having purchased a house and fruit garden.
That summer I did much important work for my employers. I had charge of
building an 18 inch engine and erecting it in a factory in Providence, R. I. On
my return to Hartford in the fall a son was born. The winter of 1860-61 I helped
to erect the second pumping engine at Cypress Hills, Brooklyn, doing other large
and important work. In the spring of 1862 I had charge of erecting a new set of
pumps and making important improvements in the plant at Prospect Park, Brook-
lyn Water Works. When completed the engine was run on a trial for five days
and nights without a stop, obtaining the highest 'duty' ever made by a Wood-
ruff & Beach pumping engine. My next work was building two nine inch portable
segmental engines, the invention of that genius of the steam engine, William
Wright; when they were completed and tested Mr. Wright pronounced them
perfect, the only one of all his inventions that proved so on the first trial. In the au-
tumn of 1862 I built a nine inch segmental stationary engine for shop use, doing
the work nearly alone. I nearly loved the little machine. It ran several years


requiring no repairs. That year I did some of the best work on the Kearsarge
engines. Following this I had charge of erecting a pair of twenty-two inch engines
for the factory in Hartford of Colt's Revolving Fire Arms. They drove the entire
factory, one of the largest works of the country. In the summer of 1863 I was
given the charge of building of a pair of segmental engines for the gun boat Pequoit.
In the autumn I put the engines in the boat at the Charlestown Navy Yard, Boston,
I received many compliments from the officers and men in the Navy Yard for my
manner of handling the work, and the rapidity with which the engines were put
together, though my force of men was small. By earnest appeals from Messrs.
Lane and Hart, I was prevailed upon to remove to the Brooklyn Water Works,
as first assistant engineer, running the pumping engines. My employers sought
to have me remain with them but personal friendship prevailed; I left the shop
after five and a half years of hard work and varied experience. A few months
after I entered the shop the foreman remarked that ' Chaphe is the only man who
ever came and gained a leading position without backing; he came here a stranger
and to-day there is not a man in the shop that I\Ir. Woodruff (president of the com-
pany) has more confidence in than Chaphe.' I was chosen by Mr. Wright, super-
intendent of the works, to build his inventions, having the ability to make the
first without a model. Years later, a mechanic from a distant city, through ac-
quaintance and friendship for me, called on Mr. Wright at Newburg, N. Y., and
was told by him that ' of all the boys who grew up under me, Chaphe was the only
one who remembered me after getting out in the world,' to which the visitor re-
plied 'Never heathen worshipped his idol more than Chaphe did Wright.' I was
always loyal to Woodruff & Beach and ever exerted myself in their interest, being
trusted by them in important affairs where honesty and mechanical knowledge
were required. I required of myself and others good work in and out of the shop,
and realized the importance of satisfying customers. I began working for the City
of Brooklyn, November 1st, 186.3, and continued until March 1st, 1870. Life
seemed very quiet compared with my previous experiences. In my new work
I was not idle but it was monotonous compared with the old. I read and studied,
reviewing the mechanical studies of former years and going deejDer into them. I
industriously cultivated a fruit and vegetable garden at my home in East New
York [part of Brooklyn] a mile from the Ridgewood Engine House, Brookljai
Water Works. Then at the earnest solicitation of my friend T. J. Whitman,
brother of Walt Whitman, I accepted the arduous duty of taking charge of the
erection of four large pumping engines built by the Knap Fort Pitt Foundry Co.,
Pittsburg, Pa., for the new Water Works, St. Louis, I\Io. I began this work
March 1st, 1870, calling at Pittsburg to look the shop over, then proceeding to St.
Louis. I found the situation very unfavorable, no buildings, a lack of proper tools
for doing the work, the engines and pump not built in a steam engine shop, and last

Online LibraryWilliam H. (William Henry) ChaffeeThe Chaffee genealogy, embracing the Chafe, Chafy, Chafie, Chafey, Chafee, Chaphe, Chaffie, Chaffey, Chaffe, Chaffee descendants of Thomas Chaffe, of Hingham, Hull, Rehoboth and Swansea, Massachusets; also certain lineages from families in the United States, Canada and England, not descended from Th → online text (page 66 of 91)