eBooksRead.com books search new books
William Henry Egle.

History of the counties of Dauphin and Lebanon : in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania ; biographical and genealogical online

. (page 224 of 232)
Online LibraryWilliam Henry EgleHistory of the counties of Dauphin and Lebanon : in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania ; biographical and genealogical → online text (page 224 of 232)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
time after he was blind. The old one-story log house
where Templeman lived, is, says Ezra Bucher, of
Cornwall, yet standing. When Schlatter visited
America in 1747, Templeman appears to have had a
family, but in his last years he resided with his sister,
who was wife to John George Brunner, where he died
about 1761. He is buried about four miles southeast
of Lebanon, on a barren hill, now known as Temple-
man's Hill, a short distance from his pioneer home.
A God-fearing man, he was a faithful minister of the
cross.



JOHN W. ULRICH.
John Weidman Ulrich, son of Rev. Daniel Ulrich
and Elizabeth Weidman, was born in 1816, in Stouchs-
burg, Berks Co., Pa. The family emigrated from
Wiirtemberg, Germany, and settled in Berks and
Lebanon Counties. Rev. Daniel Ulrich was a clergy-
man of the Lutheran Church. He left four children,
— Dr. Daniel A., a deceased physician, of Reading;
John Weidman ; William, of Emmittsburg, Md. ; and
Henrietta, widow of William Burns, an officer in the
United States navy. John W. Ulrich was prepared
for college by his father, and entered the College of
New Jersey, now Princeton, from which he graduated
in 1839. After leaving college he commenced the
study of the law with Jacob B. Weidman, of Leb-
anon, and was admitted to the bar of that county in
1842. He began the practice of his profession at
Lebanon, and rapidly acquired a large business. For
many years he devoted himself especially to the
Orphans' Court, and in the transactions therein
took a leading place among his brethren of the bar.
A gentleman of recognized ability, he was careful
and systematic in business, reliable and painstaking
in whatever was confided to him. He was thus called
upon to act in the capacity of executor, administra-
tor, or guardian very frequently, and held a fiduciary
relation to a number of extensive estates. He never
aspired to an office, preferring his profession and the
quiet of private life. He was prominently identified
with the Salem Lutheran Church at Lebanon, and
was an elder thereof at his death. He died in 1864,
at Lebanon. Mr. Ulrich married Mary Bowman,
daughter of David Bowman, who at one time was
treasurer of Lebanon County. They had one son,
George Bowman Ulrich, who graduated at Williston
Seminary, East Hampton, Mass., in 1874, studied law,
and was admitted to the Lebanon County bar in 1879.



burg, a noted lawyer of his day, and was admitted to
the Dauphin County bar at the August term, 1813.
He at once located at Lebanon, and was admitted to
the bar of the county, then just organized, at the same
time with James Hopkins, Thomas Elder, George
Fisher, George B. Porter, and James Buchanan, all
prominent lawyers of Central Pennsylvania. Mr.
Weidman continued in the successful practice of his
profession upwards of forty years, and was a safe and
reliable counsellor. The only office he ever held was
that of a member of the State Constitutional Conven-
tion of 1837-38. He died at Lebanon on the 5th of
March, 1857, aged almost sixty-eight. Mr. Weidman
was thrice married, — first, to Mary Murray, daughter
of William Murray, of Harrisburg; secondly, Mary
Eliza Morris, daughter of William and Sarah Morris,
of Philadelphia; and, lastly, to Elizabeth C. Murray,
of Harrisburg, and had issue by each marriage. (See
Weidman record.)



JACOB B. WEIDMAN.
Jacob Barge Weidman, son of Capt. John Weid-
man, of the Revolution, and Catharine Mason, was
born May 12, 1789, in the city of Philadelphia. He
was educated at Harrisburg in the Latin school of
James Ross, and graduated at Dickinson College. He
afterwards read law with Samuel Laird, of Harris-



CAPT. JOHN WEIDMAN.
John Weidman was born June 4, 1756, in Lancas-
ter County, Pa. He received a good education, and
was brought up to mercantile pursuits in Philadel-
phia. At the outset of the war for independence he
became an officer in one of the associated battalions,
and when Congress directed the organization of the
German regiment he was commissioned an ensign,
July 12, 1776; promoted first lieutenant May 14,
1777, and served in the battles of Long Island, Ger-
mantown, White Plains, Monmouth, Trenton, Prince-
ton, and Newtown, being with Gen. Sullivan in his
campaign of 1779 against the Indians in New York.
He was adjutant of the regiment that year, and re-
tired the service Jan. 1, 1781. He was a brave and
gallant officer, and among the distinguished men of the
German regiment, who not only acquitted themselves
nobly upon many a battle-field, but bore the fatigues
and privations of the dreary winter of 1777-78 at
Valley Forge. At the close of the war Capt. Weid-
man entered mercantile life at Philadelphia, subse-
quently removing to the neighborhood of his birth-
place in Lancaster County, where he kept a store and
practiced surveying. He afterwards went to the town
of Lebanon, where in 1800 he purchased the Union
Forge estate in Lebanon County from Robert Cole-
man, which establishment he carried on many years.
He was one of the associate judges of the county of
Lebanon from 1821 to 1830. He died at Lebanon,
June 6, 1830, and is buried there in the cemetery of
Salem Lutheran Church. Capt. Weidman married
at Philadelphia, May 1, 17S6, Catharine Mason, of
that city. They had four children. (See Weidman
record.)



GEN. JOHN WEIDMAN.
John Weidman, eldest son of Jacob Barge Weid-
man and Mary Murray, was born Aug. 25, 1814, at
Lebanon, Pa. He was educated at the Lebanon



BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY.



299



Academy, at Dickinson and Princeton Colleges. He
studied medicine with Dr. John B. Mish, and gradu-
ated from the Medical Department of the University
of Pennsylvania. He, however, concluded to study
law, which he pursued under the direction of his
father, and was admitted to the Lebanon County bar
in 1842, and began the practice of his profession at
Lebanon. He was elected district attorney of the
county in 1859, serving one term. In ante-war
times he was a brigadier-general of the militia, and
when the civil war came he entered the army as
captain of Company F, Fourth Pennsylvania Cav-
alry, serving until his impaired health compelled
him to resign, when he returned home, but never recov-
ered, dying on the 23d of April, 1863. Gen. Weid-
man was a good lawyer, a faithful and brave officer,
and a valued citizen, whose services were highly ap-
preciated by his fellow-citizens. He married in 1838,
Emma R. Grant, of New Jersey, and they had
nine, children. (See Weidman record.)



JACOB WEIRICK.
Jacob Weirick, the son of Christian 1 and Margaret
Weirick, was born in Bethel township, Lancaster,
now Lebanon County, in 1754. He received a fair
English education, and was brought up as a farmer.
During the Revolution he served as a non-commis-
sioned officer in Col. Greenawalt's battalion ; was
taken prisoner at Long Island, but shortly after pa-
roled. Upon the organization of the county of Dau-
phin he became influential in political affairs, and
was elected sheriff in 1790. He was a member of the
Legislature from 1795 to 1797, and from 1802 to 1806,
serving a longer period than any of his successors.
About 1807 he removed to Canton township, Wash-
ington Co., Pa., where he purchased a fine tract of
land. In his new home he became quite prominent,
and was twice elected to the House of Representatives.
He died at his residence in Washington County on the
17th of September, 1822, aged sixty-eight years.



COL. PHILIP WOLFERSBERGER.
Philip Wolfe rsberger, son of Adam and Margaret
Wolfersberger, 2 was born Feb. 14, 1739, in Heidel-

1 Christian Weirick, of Bethel township, died about the 1st of July,
1771, leaving a wife, Margaret, and children as follows:
i. Mary,
ii. Margaret.
iii. Christian,
iv. Jacob.
v. George.

vi. Peter, m. Catharine Simons.
vii, Elizabeth.
■ In the graveyard at Shaefferstown, aloug the stone wall by the
roadside, are several old tombstones whose inscriptions a re hardly legible.
The most noticeable features of these stones are the skull and cross-
bones in bas-relief at the bottom. They are well sculptured. On one
stone are these words, —

" Margreda Wolfirsperger in geboren jar 1697 den 21 Sebtemper ist ge-
starben den Christ mond 1775."

Another of 1777 has, all that can be deciphered,—
" Herrertu Adorn Woffigraperger."



berg township, now Lebanon Co., Pa. He was brought
up to the life of a farmer, receiving such education a-

the backwoods afforded in pionei-r days. During the
French and Indian war he was in active service, and
was in the Pennsylvania battalion which accom-
panied Col. Bouquet in his march to the relief of the
posts in Western Pennsylvania in the summer of 1763.
When the war of the Revolution broke out he was an
officer in the Associated Battalion, and afterwards
lieutenant under Col. Curtis Grubb in the Flying
Camp, and in the Long Island campaign of 1776. In
the subsequent campaigns in and around Philadel-
phia he was a participant, and was an active and gal-
lant officer. After the Revolution, when the Pro-
visional army was organized by direction of the
Congress, he rose to be a major and lieutenant-colonel
of the militia battalions. He held various public
offices of trust and honor. He closed his long and
useful life at Campbellstown, Londonderry township,
Lebanon Co., on the 14th of July, 1824, in his eighty-
seventh year. His son Frederick was sheriff of
Dauphin County, 1806 to 1809.



COL. JOSEPH WOOD.
Joseph Wood, son of William and Jane Wood, was
born in 1721, in the north of Ireland. His father
emigrated to America prior to 1740, and settled in
what was afterwards East Hanover township, Lan-
caster Co., not far from Jonestown. The son was
brought up to the life of a pioneer, and his advan-
tages of education were exceedingly limited. We
first find him as a non-commissioned officer in one of
the ranging companies upon the frontiers during the
early part of the French and Indian war, afterwards
ensign in the Provincial Battalion under Bouquet in
the expedition of 1763, distinguishing himself at the
battle of Bushy Run. When the war for independ-
ence was inaugurated he was one of the prime movers
in organizing the military, as all the officers who
served in the Indian wars were ; and when Congress,
on the 9th of December, 1775, resolved to raise four
battalions in Pennsylvania, the Second Pennsylvania
Battalion, Col. Arthur St. Clair commanding, was
formed, and of which Joseph Wood was commis-
sioned senior captain Jan. 3, 1776. Unfortnnately,
the roll of his company is not to be found. He ( was
commissioned major Jan. 18, 1776, and during the
Canada campaign of that year took a prominent part.
On the 2d of June the command of St. Clair, num-
bering six hundred men, was ordered from the Sorel
to attack the enemy under Col. Maclean, who had
advanced as far as Three Rivers with eight hundred
British regulars and Canadians. On the 6th. Irvine*
and Wayne's battalions were ordered to join St. Clair
at Nicolette, where Gen. William Thompson was to
take command. Unless he found the number of the
enemy at Three Rivers to be such as would render an
attack upon them hazardous. Gen. Thompson was
directed to cross the river at the most convenient place



300



HISTORY OF LEBANON COUNTY.



he could find and attack them. Owing to an almost
impenetrable swamp into which part of the force had
become entangled, the expedition did not accomplish
its purpose. In the mean time the British occupied
their landing, and had it not been for the daring and
intrepidity of Maj. Wood the enemy would have cap-
tured the boats of the Americans, he saving all except
two. In July it was determined to remove the Amer-
ican army to Ticonderoga, and it was during this
eventful period, while conducting a body of troops
from Crown Point to the former place, that Maj.
Wood, who had previously been promoted lieutenant-
colonel, and then in command of the Second Battal-
ion, was severely wounded in the left leg and also in
the left arm. Col. St. Clair having been appointed
brigadier-general by the Congress, Lieut.-Col. Wood
was commissioned colonel Sept. 3, 1776, and was con-
tinued in service until December following. The
Third Pennsylvania Regiment of the line was formed
on the basis of the Second Battalion, recruited in
December, 1776, January and February, 1777, and
arranged in the Continental service March 12, 1777.
Col. Wood was recommissioned as commanding, but
his health was so seriously impaired by his wounds
that he was compelled to resign in July of that year.
He returned home, and died towards the close of the
year 1789, at Jonestown. He was a gallant and in-
trepid officer. A son, Dr. William Wood, practiced
medicine for a long period at Jonestown, and died
there.



CHRISTIAN ZEHRING.
Christian Zehring, the youngest son of Ludwig
Zehring, was born Oct. 5, 1755, in Bethel town-
ship, Lancaster Co., now Swatara township, Leba-
non Co., Pa. His education was limited to the in-
struction obtained in the parochial schools, which,
in those early times, were opened only during the
winter months, and that mostly in German. He
learned the trade of a blacksmith, and the stone
shop he erected is yet standing on the farm he
owned in Union township. On this farm, which was
a large one, he erected two large dwelling-houses of
stone, and also a large Swiss barn of the same mate-
rial. Along with his blacksmithing, he and his sons
farmed, and established a regular team for the convey-
ance of produce to Philadelphia, and the bringing
merchandise for the stores in the neighborhood. This
business was continued for many years. He filled
the various offices of supervisor, overseer of the poor,
etc., with credit. In the year 1819 he removed to
Warren County, Ohio, whence several of his children
had previously removed, and died there on the 5th of
June, 1832. Mr. Zehring was twice married, — first,
to a Miss Umberger, by whom he had three children ;
second, Anna Maria Rauch, born April 1, 1762, in
Hanover township, Lancaster Co., Pa. ; died June 22,
1839, at German town, Montgomery Co., Ohio, and had
eleven children. (See Zehring record.)



JOHN ZEHRING.
John Zehring, son of Henry Zehring and Maria
Elizabeth Rupp, was born Sept. 20, 1792, near Jones-
town, Lebanon Co., Pa. He received the ordinary
education afforded by the schools of the county, and
was apprenticed to the trade of shoemaker. About
1313 he went to Harrisburg, and established himself
in business. He was a member of Capt. Walker's
company of volunteers which marched to the defense
of Baltimore in 1814. For thirty years Mr. Zehring
resided at Harrisburg. In addition to his store he was
extensively engaged in the wood and coal business.
In 1842 he disposed of his property and removed to
Bureau County, 111., where he purchased a tract of
land and went largely into stock-raising. He died
there on the 5th of October, 1846. Mr. Zehring mar-
ried, Jan. 9, 1817, Margaret Herman, daughter of
John Herman and Sarah Bright, of Dauphin County,
Pa. They had a large family of children. Of the
sons, William M., born Nov. 30, 1824, at Harrisburg,
was educated at Dickinson College, studied law, and
rose to the position of judge of the courts in Illinois;
James Roberts studied medicine, and served as divi-
sion surgeon during the Rebellion. (See Zehring
record.)



JONATHAN ZERBE, M.D.
Jonathan Zerbe was born July 31, 1812, in Tulpe-
hocken, Berks Co., Pa. He was the son of a farmer
in moderate circumstances, and his early education
was such as the schools of the vicinity afforded. He
learned the trade of a shoemaker, but at the end of his
apprenticeship he went to Virginia, where he attended
school and gained a fair knowledge of the English
language, which at that time was but little used in
the section of the county where he was born. In
1837 he went to Shaefferstown, and entered the office
of Dr. John Shertzer as a student of medicine. Be-
fore the completion of his studies Dr. Shertzer emi-
grated to Ohio, leaving his practice to his student.
He attended two courses of lectures, one at Jefferson
Medical College, Philadelphia, the other at the Uni-
versity of Maryland, Baltimore, after which he started
out fairly in the practice of his profession at Shaeffers-
town. In 1846 he entered the mercantile business,
with Cyrus M. Krall as partner, and continued in the
business until 1854. In 1870 he was elected a repre-
sentative from Lebanon County to the General Assem-
bly of the State, and served during the session of
1871. He died after a brief illness at Shaefferstown,
on the 3d of April, 1877. Dr. Zerbe took a warm in-
terest in public affairs. During the war of the Re-
bellion he was a zealous supporter of the government,
and gave freely of his means to aid in raising and
equipping troops. In his adopted home he was a pro-
moter of all measures and enterprises that tended to
the public welfare. The cause of education had in
him an ardent advocate. He was one of the original
incorporators and a trustee of the Shaefferstown



REPRESENTATIVE MEN.



301



Academy, which in its day was one of the best insti-
tutions of learning in the State; and he also later in
life served as a director of the common schools of
Heidelberg township. In his profession, which he
practiced for almost forty years, he attained the repu-



tation of being a safe and successful practitioner.
Dr. Zerbe married, in 1840, Martha A. Myer, and they
had five children. Of the sons, Charles M. is a lawyer,
and Thomas T. and B. Frank, physicians, practicing
at Shaefferstown.



REPRESENTATIVE MEN.





7'3s>*2j&£or



[For the'omissions in the following record we are
notjresponsible';~those^to~whoni we applied for infor-
mation^are. We have endeavored to do our duty in
this particular, and regret to say that in numerous
instances where it would have afforded us much
pleasure to preserve some brief record of the repre-
sentative people now living in the county, our request
was unheeded.!



CAPT. JOHN H. BASSLER.
John H. Bassler, son of Henry Bassler and Barbara
Unger, was born Feb. 6, 1834. His ancestor, Henry
Bassler, a native of Basel, Switzerland, emigrated to



America in 1707, and settled at Rhinebeck, X. Y.
From thence he removed to Schoharie, N. Y., where
he remained until the immigration from that section
to the Swatara region in 1723, when he came to Penn-
sylvania. Of his children, Simon Bassler married a
Miss Illig, and their children who survived their
father, who died in January, 1S02, were Simon, John,
Catharine, Elizabeth married Emanuel Zartman,
Eve married Stephen Horning, Barbara, and Anna
Maria married John School. Simon, the eldest,
married Miss Hontz, of Lebanon County, and they
had John, Henry, Thomas, Daniel, Michael, Catha-
rine, Susan, Elizabeth, and Polly. Henry Bassler, of



302



HISTORY OF LEBANON COUNTY.



the third generation, born in 1798, and died in 1851,
married Barbara Unger, of Lebanon County, and their
children were Sarah, Elizabeth, Susan, J. H., Re-
becca L., William B., and Amanda. John H., the
subject of this sketch, received his education in the
township school, and at Myerstown Academy. He
then engaged in teaching, at first in the public schools,
and later at the academy at Myerstown. In 1862 he
raised a company for service in the civil war, and was
commissioned captain of Company C, One Hundred
and Forty-ninth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers,
Aug. 28, 1862 ; was severely wounded at Gettysburg



and Ralph ; he married, secondly, in 1880, Amanda
Mosser.



FRANKLIN H. BOWER, M.D.

Franklin H. Bower, son of Henry Bower and Susan
Zimmerman, was born in April, 1838, in Myerstown,
Lebanon Co., Pa. His grandfather, Capt. Jacob
Bower, an extensive silk merchant of Philadelphia,
on retiring from business took up his residence at
Womelsdorf, Berks Co., Pa. He married Rebecca
Wood, of Philadelphia, and their son, Henry Bower,




Z/ff^C^^#& &U&?



July 1, 1863, and discharged through disability on the
18th of December following. Capt. Bassler re-entered
the service in October, 1864, and was detailed to the
command of Company I of the Tenth Veteran Re-
serve Corps, from which he was transferred to the
command of Company B of the Twelfth Veteran Re-
serve Corps. In the fall of 1865 he was detailed for
service in connection with the Freedman's Bureau
and stationed at Lumberton, N. C, from which he
resigned in the spring of 1866, and resumed his pro-
fession as instructor, having been for a year principal
of the Pinegrove schools. Capt. Bassler married first,
in 1859, Sarah Brobst, of Berks County, who died in
1877, and their children were Horace, Laura, Robert,



born at Philadelphia, died in 1836 in Myerstown,
where he resided several years; married Susan Zim-
merman, daughter of John Zimmerman, of Myers-
town, and had children, — William, Cyrus J., Jerome,
Franklin H., Mary A., Rebecca E., and Anna M.
Franklin H. was educated at Myerstown, became a
drug clerk in Philadelphia, subsequently returned
home and entered the office of his brother, Dr. Wil-
liam Bower, when he began the study of medicine,
attended the lectures of Jefferson Medical College,
from which he graduated in 1859. He located at
Myerstown, where he has continued in the practice
of his profession. Apart from these duties Dr. Bower
is engaged in several business operations, exportation



REPRESENTATIVE MEN.



:;u:;



of quercitron bark, an iron foundry, and the manage-
ment of a stock farm.



ISAAC BEAVER.
Isaac Beaver, son of Samuel Beaver (1801-1863)
and Susan Grumbine (bornlS07), was born in Leb-
anon County, and was educated in the common
schools of that period. He never learned any trade,
nor entered upon the study of any of the professions,
but in due time became one of the enterprising mer-
chants of Annville, a thriving town on the line of the
Lebanon Valley Railroad. He was married in 1860,
to Susan A. Bair, daughter of George Bair, of Ann-
ville, Pa. Their children are Abbie E., William,
Rosie, Edwin, Ira, Carrie, and Mary. Mr. Beaver has
so far earned the respect of his fellow-townsmen that
they have honored him with the office of justice of
the peace for at least two terms. His father, Samuel
Beaver, was also highly esteemed for his probity of
character, and was honored with the position of post-
master of Annville by Gen. Zachary Taylor. The
Beaver family is one of the oldest, and among the
most highly respected in Lebanon County.



Fanny Hocker, of Hockersville, Dauphin Co.; and
their children were Emma M. (married to I. O. Niss-
ley), Mary L., Annie W., Fanny S., Carrie H., Ben-
jamin H., Miriam S., and Helen H.



PROF. WILLIAM BODEXHORX.
William Bodenhorn, son of John Bodenhorn, was
born July 1, 1844, at Annville, Lebanon Co., Pa.
His great-grandfather, John Bodenhorn, came to
America from Germany about 1860, and settled upon
a farm near Philadelphia, where he died. His son,
John, moved to Schuylkill County, where he be-
came quite prominent. A son of the latter, Henry
Bodenhorn, worked in the mines in his youth, and at
the age of seventeen removed to Swatara township,
where he began farming, and married a Miss Wetzel.
From the father of his wife he learned the art of
weaving, and followed that business twenty-five years.
A son, John, learned the trade of a tailor with John
Uhler, at Annville, and for thirty-five years carried
on that occupation. He was accidentally killed in
a railway accident on the 13th of September, 1870.
William Bodenhorn, the subject of our sketch, began to
teach school in Dauphin County at the age of sixteen,
and for thirteen years taught in that and Lebanon
County, including a four years' term as principal of
the Annville High School, and five years as tutor in
Lebanon Valley College. In May, 1875, he was
chosen county superintendent of public schools, and
is now filling his third successive term.



GEORGE THOMAS CAPP.
George Thomas Capp, son of John Capp (1801-1864)
and Sarah Seltzer (1804-1863), was born in Jones-
town, Lebanon Co., Pa., Nov. 27, 1825. His educa-
tional advantages were such as the common schools
of his day afforded, and a term or two at Pennsyl-
vania College, Gettysburg. Soon after leaving college
he engaged in the mercantile business in his native
town, where he soon became one of the enterprising
men of that section of country, entering into every
movement that tended in the least to advance the in-
terests or business of his town, and was the leading
spirit in the building of the Boston and South Moun-
tain Railroad, and at the tecujxirary suspension of op-



Online LibraryWilliam Henry EgleHistory of the counties of Dauphin and Lebanon : in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania ; biographical and genealogical → online text (page 224 of 232)
Using the text of ebook History of the counties of Dauphin and Lebanon : in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania ; biographical and genealogical by William Henry Egle active link like:
read the ebook History of the counties of Dauphin and Lebanon : in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania ; biographical and genealogical is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014