William Richard Cutter.

Encyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical (Volume 4) online

. (page 5 of 80)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterEncyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical (Volume 4) → online text (page 5 of 80)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

valued at $15,000, At the expiration of
two years, during which time the business
was eminently successful, the firm of Gil-
• bert. Barker & Company purchased the
business of the Springfield Gas Machine
Company, in which Mr. Barker was inter-

ested until 1869, in which year he went to
New York City, entered into partnership
with C. N. Gilbert, and they established a
store chiefly for the sale of the goods of
the Springfield Gas Machine Company.
In September, 1869, Gilbert, Barker &
Company purchased the plant at Spring-
field, Horace R. Barker, of Lowell, and
W. S. Gilbert, of Cohoes, being added to
the firm. In 1870 the firm was incorpo-
rated as the Gilbert & Barker Manufac-
turing Company, Mr. Barker being treas-
urer and manager. In 1884 Mr. Gilbert
retired from the business and Mr. Barker
became president. The company manu-
factures machinery which converts crude
petroleum, as well as distillants, into gas-
eous form, extensively used for heating
and lighting. The business has done so
much towards revolutionizing the fuel
and lighting industries of New England
that many enterprises remain in the East
which would otherwise have removed
West, where cheaper fuel could be ob-
tained. Mr. Barker held between fifty
and sixty patents, all marking important
eras in the development of the business,
which has led to an enormous trade,
amounting to more than $3,000,000 yearly.
Mr. Barker was a member of Hampden
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of
Springfield ; Morning Star Chapter, Royal
Arch Masons ; Springfield Council, Royal
and Select Masters; Springfield Com-
mandery, Knights Templar; belonged
to all the Scottish Rite bodies, up to and
including the thirty-second degree ; also
Melha Temple, Ancient Arabic Order
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine ; was also a
member of the Masonic Club, and Hamp-
den Lodge, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows. He was one of the charter mem-
bers of the Rod and Gun Club, later
merged into the Winthrop Club. He was
formerly a member of the Amabelish Fish



and Game Club, limited to thirty-five
members, which leased from the Canadian
government a tract of land on the Ama-
belish river and lake, the club house being
built on an island, and was a member of
the Home Market Club, of Boston, of
which he was one of the vice-presidents.
Mr. Barker was a Republican in politics,
and his family attend Hope Church.

Mr. Barker married (first) in Lowell, in
March, 1858, Laura B. Pierce, born in
April, 1840, died in May, 1884, daughter
of George Pierce, a jeweller, of Lowell.
He married (second), November 26, 1888,
her sister, Jennie F. Pierce. Children of
first wife: i. Frederick Francis, born
June 17, 1859, accidentally drowned at the
age of seven. 2. Amelia Maria, born April
27, 1865; became the wife of Wheeler H.
Hall, secretary of the Massachusetts Mu-
tual Life Insurance Company. 3. John
Francis, born October 18, 1879. Children
of second wife : 4. Horace Richard, born
March 9, 1890; during the World War
he was in the service of the United States,
located at Camp Jackson. 5. Laura Fran-
cis, born September 29, 1896, at home.

FLAGG, George A.,

Public-Spirited Citizen.

George A. Flagg, of Springfield, Massa-
chusetts, comes of an old English family.
The name is found in the English records
spelled Flagg, Flegge, Flag, Flege, Flegh,
Fleght, Fleggh and Flight. The family
has been traced back many generations in
England prior to its coming to New Eng-
land, and is undoubtedly of Norman

Thomas Flagg, the founder of the fam-
ily in New England, was baptized in 1615,
at Whinbergh, and in 1637, at the age of
twenty-one, he came to New England.
He settled at Watertown, Massachusetts,

in 1641, owned considerable land, and was
selectman several terms between 1671 and
1687. He died February 6, 1698. He
married, in Watertown, soon after his
arrival, Mary . They were the par-
ents of nine sons, their fifth, William,
killed by the Indians in 1675. Descent is
traced through John, the second son.

John Flagg was born in Watertown,
Massachusetts, June 14, 1643, and there
died, February 6, 1697. He was admit-
ted a freeman October 11, 1682, served as
constable and tax collector in 1685. He
married, March 30, 1670, Mary Gale, and
they were the parents of a son, John (2).

John (2) Flagg was born in Watertown,
Massachusetts, November 6, 1677, and
there made his home. He married twice,
his second wife, Sarah Hagar, the mother
of Asa, great-great-grandfather of George
F, Flagg, of Springfield.

Asa Flagg, son of John and Sarah
(Hagar) Flagg, was born November 18,
1712. He married and was the father of
Asa (2) Flagg, who settled in Royalston,
Massachusetts, and later in Fitzwilliam,
New Hampshire. He was a traveling
minister. He married a Miss Cheeney.

William Flagg, the son of Asa Flagg,
was born in Royalston, Massachusetts,
March 31, 1789, died October 16, 1839, i"
Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire. He was
reared in the family of a man named
Waite, and later became a landowner and
farmer of Fitzwilliam, where he lived
nearly his entire life. He married, Octo-
ber 31, 1812, Sophia Forrestall, born May
14, 1793, died April 17, 1867, daughter of
Jesse and Martha (Gibson) Forrestall.
Jesse Forrestall, son of John and Thank-
ful (Jones) Forrestall, was born June 25,
1756, died October 12, 1824. He married
Martha Gibson, of Hopkinton, Massa-
chusetts, born March 29, 1753, died March
31, 1844. William and Sophia (Forrest-



all) Flagg were the parents of thirteen
children: Sarah Lovell, Josiah Waite,
Nancy Birt, John Sabin, Mary Damon,
Lucy Blandon, Charles Wright, William
Frederick, Asa Cheney, George Austin,
of further mention ; Harvey Preston, Har-
riet Melinda, and Ellen Sophia.

George Austin Flagg, tenth child of
William and Sophia (Forrestall) Flagg,
was born in Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire,
August 29, 1829, died in Springfield, Mas-
sachusetts, May 26, 1906. He was edu-
cated in the district school, and resided for
a time in Watertown, then, about 1850,
removed to Springfield, Massachusetts,
where he worked with his uncle at farm-
ing for a time, then started a retail ice
business in a small way, gradually ex-
tending it until he eventually controlled
the retail ice business of Springfield, em-
ploying thirty to forty men and thirty

For twenty years Mr. Flagg continued
in the ice business, then disposed of his
business. He then engaged in real estate
operations, buying large unimproved areas
on State, Catherine, and Tyler streets,
upon which he built residences. In 1864
he built a residence for himself on State
street. He set out the trees adjacent to
his land on State street, bringing them in
from the woods, and lived to see them grow
into handsome, stately shade trees, adding
much to the beauty and attractiveness of
the street. He was a director of the
Chapin National Bank, a Republican in
politics, and an attendant of the services
of Olivet Church until its destruction by
fire, he then transferring his support to
the Unitarian church.

George A, Flagg married (first), in 1859,
Harriet Mosely, of Springfield, born in
1833, died in 1887, daughter of Edward
E. and Eliza (Van Horn) Mosely. He
married (second), in 1893, Annie Dibble,

who died in 1908. Children all by first
marriage: Frederick M., of Longmeadow,
Massachusetts ; Minnie L., married Wil-
liam E. Stibbs, whom she survives with
children, Franklin, Marion, and Dorothy ;
Alice E., married Fred A. Eldred, and has
a son, Robert M. ; George Forrestall, of
further mention ; Harriet V., and Ida C.

George Forrestall Flagg, youngest son
of George Austin and Harriet (Mosely)
Flagg, was born in Springfield, Massachu-
setts, October 10, 1869. He was edu-
cated in the public schools of the city, fin-
ishing with graduation from high school,
class of 1889. Immediately after leaving
school he became associated with his
father in the real estate business, father
and son continuing in business together
until death removed the senior partner in
1906. Since then George F. Flagg has
conducted the business alone.

Mr. Flagg married. May 27, 1902, Jes-
sie Amelia Jones, of Athol, Massachu-
setts, daughter of Edward Francis and
Louise (Leonard) Jones. Mr. and Mrs.
Flagg are the parents of two sons : George
Austin (2), born November 23, 1906;
Forrestall Frederick, born March 14, 191 1,
died February 17, 1913.

HYDE, Henry Cleveland,


Although born and reared in the Mid-
dle West, Henry Cleveland Hyde, assist-
ant treasurer of Barney & Berry, Inc., has
passed a good part of his business life in
the city of Springfield, New England be-
ing the ancestral home of the Hydes until
the seventh generation in this branch,
when Oliver Moulton Hyde removed to
Detroit, Michigan. There his son, Louis
C. Hyde, former postmaster of Spring-
field, 1898-1914, was born. Henry C, son
of Louis C. Hyde, was also born in De-



troit, but, like his father, he too sought
the ancestral home, and is as closely iden-
tified with Springfield and New England
as a native. The Hyde family embraces
a long line of distinguished men in both
England and the United States. Sir Nich-
olas Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, was chief
justice of the King's church, and Edward
Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, was lord chan-
cellor at the Restoration, and grandfather
to two English queens, Mary and Anne.
In the United States descendants of Wil-
liam Hyde are numerous and are found in
high position in the walks of American

(I) William Hyde, the founder, came
from England to New England about
1633, and for a time was a resident of
Newton, Massachusetts. He is believed
to have gone to Connecticut with Rev.
Thomas Hooker, in 1636, and to have set-
tled at Saybrook. He was one of the orig-
inal proprietors of Norwich, Connecticut,
in 1660, and is recorded as the holder of
several town offices. He died at Nor-
wich, January 6, 1681, a man of consider-
able wealth. He left a son, Samuel, of
whom further ; and a daughter, Hester.

(II) Samuel Hyde was born about
1637, died in 1677, He settled at Nor-
wich, West Farms, Connecticut, and fol-
lowed agriculture all his life. He married
Jane Lee, daughter of Thomas Lee. Their
daughter Elizabeth was the first white
child born in Norwich, Connecticut.

(HI) William (2) Hyde, third son of
Samuel and Jane (Lee) Hyde, was born
at Norwich, Connecticut, in January, 1670,
died August 8, 1759. He was a man of
wealth and influence, a magistrate of Nor-
wich, and a member of the Colonial Legis-
lature. He married Anne Bushnell, who
died July 8, 1745.

(IV) Rev. Jedediah Hyde, fifth son of
William (2) and Anne (Bushnell) Hyde,

was born at Norwich, Connecticut, June
2, 1712, died there, September 26, 1761.
He was an ordained minister of the Con-
gregational church and preached at
"Beams Hill." He married (first), July
!/» ^7ZZ' Jerusha Perkins, daughter of
Deacon Joseph and Martha (Morgan)
Perkins, of Norwich. She died February
8, 1 741, leaving four children. He mar-
ried (second). May 17, 1742, Jerusha

(V) Captain Jedediah Hyde, only son
of Rev. Jedediah and his first wife, Jeru-
sha (Perkins) Hyde, was born at Nor-
wich, Connecticut, August 24, 1735, died
at Hyde Park, Vermont, May 29, 1822.
He was an officer in the Revolutionary
army. At Bunker Hill he was lieutenant
in Captain Coit's company, and during
the action received a slight wound. He
afterward commanded a company in the
regular army. Captain Hyde married
(first), January 28, 1761, Mary Waterman,
daughter of Asa and Lucy (Hyde) Water-
man, of Norwich, his second cousin. She
died September 2, 1780, her husband then
being away on military duty. He married
(second) Elizabeth (Brown) Parker,
widow of David Parker. They settled in
Hyde Park, Vermont, of which town he
was an original proprietor. There in the
town which bore his name he continued a
farmer until his death.

(VI) Pitt William Hyde, fifth son of
Captain Jedediah and his first wife, Mary
(Waterman) Hyde, was born in Norwich,
Connecticut, December 29, 1776, died May
29, 1823, at Sudbury, Connecticut. He
married, October 19, 1796, Mary Kil-
bourne, of Castleton, Vermont, daughter
of James and Mary (Crampton) Kil-
bourne. Mrs. Hyde died at Sudbury,
March 3, 1813, and Mr. Hyde married
(second), November 4, 1813, a widow,



Mrs. Rebecca (Sherman) Gaige, of Fer-
risburg, Vermont.

(VII) Oliver Moulton Hyde, third son
of Pitt WilHam and his first wife, Mary
(Kilbourne) Hyde, was born March lo,
1804, died in Detroit, Michigan, in 1S70.
He became a merchant of Castleton, Ver-
mont, later going to Mount Hope, New
York, where he operated a blast furnace.
In 1840 he moved to Detroit, Michigan,
and there became prominent in public life,
serving Detroit as mayor and as collector
of customs for several years. He married
Julia Anne Sprague, daughter of Daniel
Sprague, of West Poultney, Vermont.
Children: William Pitt; Charles H. ;
Henry Stanley ; Harriett S. ; and Louis
C, of whom further,

(VIII) Louis Cavelli Hyde, youngest
son of Oliver Moulton and Julia Anne
(Sprague) Hyde, was born in Detroit,
Michigan, October 31, 1849, died in
Springfield, Massachusetts, December 9,
1918. His name was in honor of a friend
of his father's, Dr. Louis Cavelli, a diplo-
mat sent by the French government to
this country to confer with Lewis Cass,
then governor of Michigan. Dr. Cavelli
remained in the United States for several
years, and a warm friendship existed be-
tween him and Oliver M. Hyde. The boy,
Louis C, was early placed under private
tutors in Detroit, Michigan, but later he
was sent to Leicester Academy (Massa-
chusetts), whence he was graduated, class
of 1863. He was associated with his
father until the latter's death in 1870, he
then beginning the study of law, continu-
ing four years under the direction of Dick-
inson & Chambers, of Detroit. He came
to Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1876,
and formed a connection with the
Wason Manufacturing Company, soon be-
ing made clerk of the corporation, and
later secretary. These relations existed

for many years. At one time he was also
associated with the Springfield Steam
Power Company, and later in life was
treasurer of the Barney & Berry Com-
pany, Inc., and a director of the Spring-
field National Bank.

In politics, Mr. Hyde was a consistent
Republican. In 1890 he represented Ward
No. I, in Common Council, and the fol-
lowing two years he was a member of the
Board of Aldermen. During his first year
of service he was secretary of the city
property committee, and during his in-
cumbency the Pynchon, Buckingham and
Carew streets schoolhouses were erected.
In 1896 he was chairman of the Central
High School Building Commission. In
1898 he was appointed postmaster of
Springfield, an office he held continuously
until 1914, when he gave way to Presi-
dent Wilson's appointee. He was incom-
parably one of the best officials who
ever held that position. The business of
the office greatly expanded with the city's
rapid growth in population during his
long administration, yet the office facili-
ties kept pace and the most progressive
policy prevailed. His gracious personal-
ity won him many friends, and he com-
manded the respect of everyone who came
in contact with him.

After his retirement from the postmas-
tership in 1914, Mr. Hyde was sought
especially to supervise the management of
estates. He was appointed administra-
tor of the Everett LI. Barney estate before
Mr. Barney's death, and at the same time
served as treasurer of Barney & Berry,
Inc. He gave a great deal of his time to
that estate and to the affairs of the cor-
poration. He was also trustee of the
George M. Atwater estate ; executor of
the David M. Atwater estate; executor of
the George C. Fisk estate ; executor of the
Henry S. Hyde estate; and the estate of



Mrs. Harry S. Dickinson was settled by
him. In the ag-gregate the settlement of
these estates imposed heavy responsibili-
ties upon Mr. Hyde, they representing- a
property value of several millions of dol-
lars. In his business relations he was a
man of conspicuous probity, and served
faithfully, as well as efficiently, in the
many positions of trust which he filled.

Mr. Hyde was a charter member of
Springfield Lodge, Free and Accepted Ma-
sons ; and member of Morning Star Chap-
ter, Royal Arch Masons. His clubs were
the Masonic, Colony, and Nayasset, and
for a long time he was secretary of the
Charity Ball Committee whose annual
affairs were once the most brilliant of the
year. In local charities his aid was never
soug-ht in vain, and in all the varied forms
of war work after the United States en-
tered the Wold War conflict he was most
helpful, although all his support was given
in a very quiet, unostentatious manner.

Mr. Hyde married, in 1870, Mary Cleve-
land, who died in Springfield, daughter of
Ira B. and Clara (Cole) Cleveland, of
Flint, Michigan. Mrs. Hyde was richly
endowed naturally, was thoroughly edu-
cated, and highly cultured. She pos-
sessed a rare and charming personality,
and numbered many friends among the
older Springfield families. She was a de-
voted member of Christ Episcopal Church,
and deeply interested in its many socie-
ties, and in several charitable organiza-
tions. A keen sense of humor was coupled
with her refined manners, making her a
delightful companion. Mr. and Mrs. Hyde
were the parents of: Henry Cleveland, of
whom further ; Harriet, the wife of Philip
Delano Hawkins ; and Dorothy, who died
at the age of twenty-one.

(IX) Henry Cleveland Hyde, of the
ninth American generation, only son of
Louis Cavelli and Mary (Cleveland)

Hyde, was born in Detroit, Michigan,
February 15, 1872. His parents came to
Springfield in 1876, and in that city he
completed public school courses of study,
finishing- with high school. His first busi-
ness position was with the Agawam Na-
tional Bank of Springfield, and for eleven
years he continued with that bank. He
then went West, and in Saginaw, Michi-
gan, became identified with the Porter
Cedar Company, the business of that com-
pany being the manufacture of railroad
ties and the getting out of telephone and
telegraph poles. For fifteen years Air.
Hyde continued with that company, its
treasurer and member of the board of
directors. In 191 5 he returned to Spring-
field, and has since been identified with
the manufacturing firm, Barney & Berry,
Inc., as assistant treasurer.

Mr. Hyde married, October 14, 1898,
Emma Wing Inshaw, born February 12,
1875, daughter of Richard Bates and Mary
(Poole) Inshaw. Mr. Inshaw, a guns-
smith and engraver, came from England
to the United States, locating first in New
York City, but afterwards in Chicopee,
Massachusetts. Mr. and Mrs. Hyde are
the parents of two sons: Louis Cutter,
born in Saginaw, Michigan, November 20,
191 1 ; and Richard Inshaw, born in Spring-
field, Massachusetts, May 26, 1916.

LEWIS, Charles Cottrell,

A I<eader in Business World.

In all that tended to make noble man-
hood, Charles C. Lewis, a late resident of
Springfield, Massachusetts, was rich. En-
dowed by nature with a temperament
keenly sensitive to joy and sorrow, to
humor and pathos, he lived in close touch
with his fellowmen in those things which
make life brighter and better. He was an
important factor in the business circles of



the city, and along the lines of earnest,
persistent and honorable endeavor he
steadily advanced until he occupied an
honorable position in trade circles and
enjoyed a handsome income from a busi-
ness which was built upon energy, indus-
try, enterprise and integrity.

William H. Lewis, father of Charles C.
Lewis, was a resident of New London,
Connecticut, from whence he removed to
the State of California, where he con-
tracted a fever and his death occurred in
1862. He married Ann Elizabeth Case,
and three children were born to them,
namely: William F. ; Charles Cottrell, of
this review ; and Harry. These children
are all deceased.

Charles Cottrell Lewis was born in
New London, Connecticut, March 13,
1859. He attended the public schools of
New London for a few years, but left his
studies at an early age in order to assist
his mother in the maintenance of the fam-
ily, this devolving upon her after the
death of her husband, which occurred
when Charles C. was only two and one-
half years of age. While attending school,
Charles C. Lewis was employed in a book
store in New London, part time, and
when fourteen years of age, entered the
employ of Dudley & Stevens, of New
London, who were engaged in the iron
and steel industry. During the thirteen
years he remained in their employ, he ac-
quired a thorough knowledge of the busi-
ness and also gained confidence in his
ability to conduct an enterprise of his
own, which he did in the year 1886, com-
ing to Springfield, Massachusetts, for that
purpose. The iron and steel business,
which he started in a small way, increased
in volume and importance and was event-
ually incorporated under the name of
Charles C. Lewis Company, of which he
was the president and treasurer. The

business of the company was strictly
wholesale iron and steel, and included
heavy hardware. It was established at
No. 30 Lyman street, and continued in the
same building up to the time of his death.
He left it in a flourishing condition. In
1898 he served one term as alderman, his
tenure of office noted for efficiency, and
on three occasions he was requested to
become the candidate for mayor of Spring-
field, but declined the honor. He was a
member of the Board of Trade of Spring-
field, a member and vice-president of the
American Iron, Steel and Heavy Hard-
ware Association; a member of the IMe-
gantic Club of Megantic, Maine ; the Pub-
licity Club; the Nayasset Club; the
Springfield Club ; the Oxford Club ; and
Springfield Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons, of which he was chaplain. He
held membership in the Faith Congrega-
tional Church.

Mr. Lewis married, October 7, 1891,
Irene Pratt, born in Springfield, Massa-
chusetts, July 15, 1869, daughter of
Charles Adams and Clara (Crossett)
Pratt, granddaughter of Orrin and Irene
(Richmond) Pratt, of Ashfield, great-
granddaughter of Ellis and Myra Ann
(Oris wold) Pratt, of Ashfield, and great-
great-granddaughter of Josiah and Sally
(Copeland) Pratt, and of Major Joseph
Griswold, of Buckland. Children of Mr.
and Mrs. Lewis: i. Donald Balles, born
October 6, 1892, died December 5, 1902.

2. Dorothy Jeanette, born February 29,
1900; married, October 2, 1920, CHflford
Slater Wheeler, born in Springfield, Mas-
sachusetts, May 27, 1892; he saw service
in the French army under General Milan
Stefanic, serving as captain on his staflf.

3. Richmond, born March 19, 190 1. 4.
Ann Elizabeth, born January 29, 1903.

Charles Cottrell Lewis died at his home
in Springfield, May 4, 1915. His loss to



society, to the business world, and to his
family, will long be felt and deeply
mourned. He was a manly man, actu-
ated in all he did by the highest principles
and a broad humanitarian spirit, and his
memory is hallowed by the love and re-
gard which he engendered in the hearts of
all who knew him.

PHELPS, Mary Elizabeth,

Member of Important Family.

The American ancestor of this branch
of the Phelps family was William (2)
Phelps, the son of William, son of John
Phelps, born about 1520, and his wife,
Joan. William (i) Phelps was baptized
in Tewkesbury Abby Church, England,
August 4, 1560, and died in 161 1. His
eight children were born in Tewkesbury,
William (2) being fifth in order of birth.
William (2) Phelps was baptized at
Tewkesbury Abby Church, August 19,
1599, died in Windsor, Connecticut, his
will being probated July 26, 1672. He
came to New England with his wife and
six children in the "Mary and John," sail-
ing from Plymouth, England, March 20,
1630, landing at Nantasket, now Hull,
Massachusetts, May 30th, following. He
was one of the founders and first settlers
of Dorchester, and took an active part in
town affairs. He was a member of the
first jury which tried a case in New Eng-
land. He was constable in 1631 ; deputy
to the general Court, 1634- 1635 ; and in
the fall of 1635 moved to Windsor, Con-
necticut, which was ever afterwards his

Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterEncyclopedia of Massachusetts, biographical--genealogical (Volume 4) → online text (page 5 of 80)