William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 10 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 10 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Harriet N. bines; (second) 1855. Abbie H.
Quincy; (third) 1865, Martha Gammage. 3.
Harrison, June 6, 1817, married, November

7. 1843. Margaret Morse; died February 17,
1882; he had two sons, George H. and Charles
F., the latter is living. 4. Daniel. February
3-5, 1819, died unmarried April 15. 1868. 5.
James R.. January 26, 1821, married Emily
Young; had three children, two now living,
Susan and Martha, with the mother ; died May

8, 1889. 6. Enoch, February 24, 1823, mar-
ried, September 25, 1856, Sylvia A. Babcock.
7. Obadiah F., November 29, 1824, mentioned
below. 8. Emeline S., January 26, 1830. died
January 19, 1843.

(VII) Obadiah F., son of Russell Adams,
was born in Hill, New Hampshire, November
29, 1S24, died March 14, 1894. He was edu-
cated in the public schools. When a young
man he came to Allston, now Boston, Massa-
chusetts, to learn the trade of mason, serving
an apprenticeship of seven years. He then
began business as a mason and builder at West
Roxbury, and from a small beginning built up
a large and very successful business, becoming
one of the leading masons of Boston. Him-
self a skillful and competent mechanic, he
required the best work and produced the most
workmanlike and satisfactory masonry to be
obtained. He had the contract and built the
beautiful stone edifice of the Unitarian church
at the corner of Elliot and Center streets, a
model of architecture and fine workmanship.
He built the Methodist church on Elm street
in the same section of the city and many other
public buildings and private residences and
houses. He had many large contracts after
the great fire in Boston in 1872 when the busi-
ness section of the city was largely rebuilt.
He built the Boylston Bank building among
others. No builder had a better reputation for
good work and square dealing. In all the
relations of life he was upright and honorable.
His character was unassailable, his personality
attractive and he had the esteem and confi-
dence of employees as well as friends. In
politics he was a Republican and in religion a
Baptist. He married, in Jamaica Plain,
November 5, 1855, Louise M. Burk. born in
Madison, New Hampshire. January 6, 1838,
died November 30, 1906, daughter of James



and Charlotte (Jackson 1 Burk. They have
one son, Charles F., mentioned below.

James Burk was a farmer at Madison. Chil-
dren of James and Charlotte Burk : i. Joseph
Burk, was a plumber in Lowell, Massachusetts,
where he died, leaving one son, Charles Burk,
now of Charlestown, Massachusetts, and one
daughter. Mary Burk, married Charles Draper,
and lived at Jamaica Plain, had no children ;
ii. Nancy J. Burk, married James Rines, who
died at Jefferson Mills, New Hampshire, his
wife died at Jamaica Plain ; iii. Phebe. resides
at Jamaica Plain, married Edward G. Nor-
cross, who died in Jamaica Plain, May 29,
1907 ; iv. Louise M. Burk, married Obadiah
F. Adams, mentioned above ; v. Adeline M.
Burk, married Henry Philbrick. a farmer at
Milton Hills, New Hampshire, where his wife
died at middle age.

(VIII) Charles F., son of Obadiah F.
Adams, was born at Jamaica Plain, September
1, 1856. He was educated in the public schools
and at Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachu-
setts. He learned the profession of surveyor and
civil engineer in the office of Garbot & Wood, of
Boston, and he was connected with this firm
in various capacities for a period of fifteen
years. He left this firm to devote his atten-
tion to the management and improvement of
the property left by his father who owned
valuable real estate in Jamaica Plain and
vicinity. Mr. Adams is a Republican in poli-
tics, and in 1897-98 was the candidate of his
party for common council. In religion he is a
Baptist. He is a member of the Elliot Club
of Jamaica Plain. His home is 21 Myrtle
street, Jamaica Plain, Boston. He married,
August 2, 1892, at Hartford, Vermont, Laura
E. Matthews, born in Hartford, November 4,
1868. She was a teacher before her marriage.
Children: 1. Charles William, born August
25, 1893, died February 11, 1901. 2. Emma
Matthews. June 10, 1899, student in a private
school.

John C. Matthews, father of Mrs. Adams,
was born in Norwich. Vermont, married, in
1861, at Pcacham, Vermont, Lucia Jennison,
a native of Peacham. and lived in Norwich
until 1 88 1 when he came to Hartford, Ver-
mont, where he and his wife are now living
quietly in their old age. both enjoying good
health and sound mental faculties. Their chil-
dren were: i. Alfred Matthews, born March
24, 1863, died May 17, 1897, married Lothania
C. Armstrong, who now resides in Norwich ;
ii. Frank E. Matthews, unmarried, a prosper-
ous farmer of Hartford; iii. Annie E.



MASSACH CSET'l S.



1417



Matthews, married Myron E. Armstrong, a
farmer of Norwich ; has three children, George
Armstrong, Elsie C. Armstrong and Jennie
Armstrong; iv. Laura E. Matthews, married
Charles F. Adams, mentioned above. John
Matthews, father of John C. Matthews, and
grandfather of Mrs. Adams, lived to the great
age of ninety-six years, two months ; had eleven
children, of whom four survive in 1908: i.
John C. Matthews, mentioned above ; ii. Will-
iam II. Matthews, a retired police officer of
Boston, married Sarah Bolton ; iii. Philander
C. Matthews, married Matilda Huntoon, who
died in Everett, Massachusetts, where he now
resides ; iv. George R.



This is among the earliest
EMERSON American families, and has
been traced to various locali-
ties in England, and has been associated with
some of the most stirring events of American
history, both past and present. The records
show that a coat-of-arms was granted in 1535
to Radus (Ralf, Raffe or Rauff) Emerson,
of Foxton, county of Durham, England. No
pedigree was registered with it. Thomas
Emerson, who was born sometime about 1540,
was a resident of Great Dumnow, in the county
of Essex, England, where his three children
are registered, namely: Robert, Joan and John.
In 1509 the general muster of the county of
Durham included forty-one Emersons, and it
has been assumed that he was a son of Ralph,
of Foxton, and he is presumed to be identical
with Thomas, of Rumford, county Essex.
Seven miles from Great Dumnow is Bishop's-
Stortford, in the county of Herts. There is
found a record of the marriage of Robert
Emerson, on November 24, 1578, to Susan
Crabbe. He owned a field on the north quarter
of the parish called Muggles Dale, and in
earlier times Muffles Dane. Robert Emerson
was buried at Bishop's-Stortford, January 6.
1620, and his widow, November 20, 1626, at
the age of seventy years. Their children were :
Alice, Margaret, Thomas, Ann, Robert and
John.

(I) Thomas Emerson, of Ipswich, Massa-
chusetts, is recorded in the church wardens
book of St. Michael's church, in 1630, as
collector for the poor. His wife, Elizabeth
(Brewster) Emerson, is supposed to have
been a daughter of William Brewster, of
Scrooby, and the famous elder of the Pilgrims,
1620. It has been proven that Major-General
Denison, a close friend of Thomas, and men-
tioned in the latter's will, emigrated from



Bishop's-Stortford. Thomas Emerson was
probably born in Sedsfield parish, county of
Durham, England, and died in Ipswich, Massa-
chusetts, May 1, 1666. He was baptized at
Bishop's-Stortford, England, July 26, 1584,
and was married July 1, 161 1, in that parish
to Elizabeth Brewster. Their children as
recorded in St. Michael's Church at Bishop's-
Stortford were: Robert, Benjamin, Ralph,
James, Joseph, Elizabeth, John, Thomas,
Nathaniel and Susan. Tradition says that
they came from England in the ship "Eliza-
beth Ann," in 1635. He was at Ipswich, Mass-
achusetts, as early as 1638, when eighty acres
of land was granted to him. In the same year
he received a deed of one hundred and twenty
acres from Samuel Greenfield, a weaver of
Ipswich, and this was the Turkey Shore farm,
which remained in the family for generations.
He is mentioned as a commoner in 1641, and
in 1(14(1 was one of the "seven men," equiva-
lent to the present selectmen. He was the
possessor of considerable property and the
records show that he received damages from
the town for the loss of a yoke of oxen that
backed off a bridge. The inventory of his
estate amounted to two hundred and twenty-
five pounds three shillings. The records of
England show that the family was noncon-
formist, and they probably found difficulty in
getting out of England. The reference to
Thomas Emerson as a baker in the Massachu-
setts records probably arises from the fact that
he assumed the character of an artisan in order
to make his removal from England less diffi-
cult.

(II) Robert Emerson, of Rowley, Massa-
chusetts, is believed by good authorities to
have been the eldest child of Thomas and
Elizabeth (Brewster) Emerson, who was bap-
tized May 24, 161 2, at Bishop's-Stortford,
Hertfordshire, England. He was probably a
resident of Bishop's-Stortford in 1642. He
was in Rowley, Massachusetts, as early as
1655, and took the oath of fidelity there in
167 1, and removed to Haverhill, Massachu-
setts, where he was made freeman April 9,
1678. He subscribed to the oath of fidelity in
1671, and in 1672 received from the town com-
pensation for the care of an orphan child.
Before 1675 he had a house there. He died
June 25, 1694. He married, October 22, 1635,
Elizabeth Grave, of Bishop's-Stortford, Eng-
land, and she was buried there June 22, 1636.
His second wife was named Frances, and he
married (third) November 4, 1658, Ann
Grant, of Rowley, who was drowned July 28.



I4i8



.MASSACHUSETTS.



1718. His children were: Elizabeth, born in
England, 1637, Thomas, Joseph, Ephraim,
Stephen, Benjamin and Lydia. The elder son
was killed by the Indians, with his wife and
children, March 15, 1697.

(Ill) Stephen, fourth son of Robert Emer-
son, was among the original petitioners for,
and proprietors of the town of "Penniecook,"
now Concord, New Hampshire, in 1721. At
a meeting of the proprietors, February 8, 1726,
at Andover, Massachusetts, he drew lot 9,
range 3, consisting of five and one-half acres
in the great plain, and house lot No. 9, in the
first range, consisting of one and one-half
acres. A search of the records of Concord
fail to disclose any further mention of him in
that town, and it is probable that he did not
reside there. Xo further account of him has
been found. On a petition for the parish of
Hampstead to be erected out of Haverhill,
Massachusetts, January 1, 1744, appears the
name of Stephen Emerson, but this was prob-
ably his son Stephen, who became a resident
of that town. He married, December 7, 1698,
Elizabeth Dustin.

( \\~ ) Stephen 12). son of Stephen (1) and
Elizabeth (Dustin) Emerson, was born Feb-
ruary 23, 1 701. in Haverhill, Massachusetts.
He was one of the original members of the
North Parish Church in 1730, and was
admitted to the parish of Hampstead by letter
from there, June 3, 1752. About 1762 he
removed from Hampstead to the eastern part
of Weare, New Hampshire, where he died.
When the province line was established in
1741, he found himself to be outside of Massa-
chusetts, and petitioned for the establishment
of a new parish in Hampstead. ' He was a
resident of the West parish in 1740. The
records of Hampstead church would seem to
indicate that he had strayed somewhat from
the narrow path, as shown by the following
entry; "May, 29, 1 761, voted that Stephen
Emerson should again partake with them on
his acknowledgement that he had gone con-
trary to ye Gospel in forsaking their com-
munion." He married Hannah, daughter of
James and Abigail (Webster) Marden, of
Rye, New Hampshire, who was born in 1716.
She was an original member of the North
Parish church in 1730, and was admitted to
the Hampstead church, June 3, 1752. Their
children were: Ensign Stephen, Lieutenant
Marden, Susannah, Abigail, Elizabeth, Moses,
Mary and James.

(V) Deacon James, youngest son of Stephen
(2) and Hannah (Marden) Emerson, was



born January 10, 1739, in Haverhill, Massa-
chusetts, and went with his father to Weare
in early life. He resided for a time in Hamp-
stead, and removed after 1760 to Weare. He
and his wife owned the covenant in the Plamp-
ton church, January 11, 1761. Fie was deacon
of the church at Weare, and was very strict
about keeping the Sabbath. On one occasion
while going to church, he observed a fox pur-
suing a rabbit, and was urged by his wife to
scare away the fox and relieve the frightened
bunny, but he insisted that such an act would
be a profanation of the Sabbath, and refused
to do so. In relating the circumstance his
wife said that she was in doubt as to whether
he was too pious or too lazy to dismount and
do this act of kindness. He died in Weare
hi 1814. He married Lydia, daughter of
Moses and Mary (Carr) Hoyt, who was born
April 6, 1740, in Salisbury, Massachusetts.
The records of Hampstead church show that
both James Emerson and his wife were
admitted there from the church in Weare,
August 30, 1778. Their children were: Moses,
Hannah (died young), Susannah, James,
Lydia, Polly. Hannah and Stephen.

(VI) James (2), second son of James (1)
ami Lydia (Hoyt) Emerson, was born May
26, 1767, in Weare, and settled on part of lot
2y, range 1, of that town, not far from the
spot where his father first settled. About
1799 he sold his land and moved to Newbury,
New Hampshire, where he died. He married
Polly Cilley and their children were : Jonathan,
Stephen, James and Lydia.

(VII) Jonathan, eldest son of James (2)
and Poily (Cilley) Emerson, was born Aug-
ust 25, 1792, in Weare, New Hampshire. He
later removed to Newport, and finally settled
in Lebanon, where he died February 12, 1872.
He was a farmer by occupation, and a highly
respected citizen. He married, in 1813, Polly
Collins, of Danville, New Hampshire, born
July 3, 1787, died September 8, 1861. Their
children were: Hiram, Susan, Jonathan,
Arvilla P., James, Moses W., Albro V.,
Lucena A. and Lucina M., the last two being
twins.

(VIII) Hiram, eldest son of Jonathan and
Polly (Collins) Emerson, was born May 17,
1813, in Weare, New Hampshire. He spent
his boyhood on the farm with his father, after
which he learned the blacksmith trade, and
was for several years engaged at that business
in the town of Newport. From Newport he
removed to New London, New Hampshire,
and from there to Jefferson, where, with his



MASSACHUSETTS.



1419



brother-in-law, Hartford Sweet, he engaged
in the lumber business. After about three
years he removed to Littleton and was engaged
in the manufacture of scythes until 1856.
From there he removed to St. Johnsbury, Ver-
mont, where for twelve years he was agent for
the Ely Hoe & Fork Company. From there
he removed to Lebanon, New Hampshire,
where he was engaged in the manufacture of
scythes and axes, being associated with his
brother, Albro V. They continued in business
until 1870, when he retired, and where he died
October 17, 1898. He married, October 5,
1837, Lydia K., daughter of Hon. Jeremiah
D. and Zilpha (Bowman) Xettleton, who was
born May 15, 1817, in Newport, died at
Lebanon, New Hampshire, October 25, 1900.
(See Nettleton VII). Their children were:
Zilpha E., died young, Fanny A., Willie, Z.
Elizabeth, Ellen B., Edwin B., Marietta B.
and Frederick H.

(IX) Edwin Brooks, son of Hiram and
Lydia K. (Nettleton) Emerson, was born
May 22, 1847, in Littleton. New Hampshire.
When he was but six years old, his parents
removed to St. Johnsbury, Vermont, and he
received a good education at the excellent
academy in that town. When seventeen years
old he entered the employ of E. & T. Fair-
banks & Company, scale manufacturers, and
on attaining his majority went to Boston,
Massachusetts, where he remained twelve
years as a trusted employee of the old firm of
Brown, Dutton and Company, after which he
removed to Salisbury, New Hampshire. There
he was engaged for a period of three years
in the mercantile business and returned to
Massachusetts, spending nine years in Holyoke,
whence he removed to the city of North-
ampton in 1 89 1, where he purchased a wall-
paper and paint business, which has been
wonderfully successful under his management,
having increased four-fold, and he is now con-
ducting a large wholesale and retail trade.
During the entire year he employs twenty
men on contract work and during the summer
months, this force is very largely augmented.
His well-stocked store is situated in the heart
of the city, in Main street, where he caters to
a steadily growing and desirable trade. Aside
from business, he has devoted some time to
public affairs, having been elected a member
of the common council in 1900, and in 1901
was president of that body. Since 1900 he
has been one of the overseers of the poor for
(he city, and is now (1908) a member of the
city hall commission, which has under way



the consideration of a new city building. He
was made an Odd Fellow in 1870 in Franklin
Lodge, of Boston, and subsequently became
a member of the encampment, but has now
withdrawn from that order. He is now
engaged in forwarding the high fraternal
principles which he there learned and occu-
pies an exalted position in the Masonic order.
He is a member of Springfield Temple, Nobles
of the Mystic Shrine. He is an active member
of the First Congregational Church of North-
ampton and has held a position on the board
of church assessors, being for three years
chairman of that board. In all these activities,
Mr. Emerson has demonstrated the breadth
of his nature and has gained and maintained
the respect of a large number of contempor-
aries. He married, July 6, 1871, at Lebanon,
New Hampshire, Mary L., daughter of Will-
iam B. and Elizabeth (George) Parsons, the
latter a daughter of True George, of Salisbury.
He was for many years keeper at the state
prison in Concord, and was a member of the
state senate from about 1845 to 1850, and was
otherwise prominent in public affairs. Mrs.
Emerson was born November 24, 1848, at
Salisbury, was educated at a seminary in New
London, New Hampshire, and was a teacher
in the public schools of Salisbury. She is the
mother of a son and a daughter, namely :
Edward Nettleton and Ella May Emerson.

( X ) Edward Nettleton, only son of Edwin
Brooks and Mary L. (Parsons) Emerson, was
born July 12, 1873, m Salisbury, and gradu-
ated from the high school of Holyoke, as
president of his class. He subsequently
entered Amherst College and was graduated
from the class of 1896, being class day orator.
During his college life he was identified with
various activities among the students, being a
member of the college Glee and Dramatic
clubs. In 1897 he graduated with high honors
from the law school of the College of New
York, and immediately became identified with
the law firm of Bissel & Emerson, at 50
Broadway, New York, where he is still
engaged in practice. He married, October 20,
1908, Florence Boyce, whose home was next
door to President Roosevelt at Oyster Bay,
and who was a graduate of Bryn Mawr, near
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

(X) Ella May, only daughter of Edwin
Brooks and Mary L. (Parsons) Emerson, was
born June 17, 1877, in Salisbury, and is a
graduate of the Northampton high school.
She married, June 20, 1900, Dr. Payn B. Par-
sons, son of the Rev. E. B. Parsons, of Will-



14-20



MASSACHUSETTS.



iams College of Williamstown, Massachusetts.
Dr. Parsons is a member of the Bacterialogi-
cal Commission of New York.



The Xettletons of New-
NETTLETOX port, and sullivan county,
New Hampshire, are all
descendants of Jeremiah Nettleton, who made
a settlement in the town of Newport in the
year 1779. and lived there about thirty-five
years, and at his death left a large family of
children from whom in later years has come
a numerous line of descendants, and in each
succeeding generation from the time of the
settler there have been men of prominence in
the civil, political and industrial history of the
state.

I I ) John Nettleton, of Kenilworth, Eng-
land, is mentioned in history as the founder
of this particular branch of the Nettleton
family of New England, but of his antecedents
contemporary genealogists give little informa-
tion of value. It is known, however, that he
lived about fifty miles west of the city of
London, and after his immigration to America
was one of the early colonists of Connecticut.
He married, and among his children was a son.
Joseph.

till Joseph, son of the ancestor. John Net-
tleton, married. February 18, 1712, Hannah
Bushnell, and had a son Jeremiah.

(III) Jeremiah, son of Joseph and Han-
nah (Bushnell) Nettleton, was of Killing-
worth, Connecticut, which appears to have
been the principal seat of the family of that
state. The family name of his wife is not
mentioned by any of the earlier chroniclers of
Nettleton history, but it is known that he mar-
ried and that one of his sons was Jeremiah
Nettleton, progenitor of the family of that
surname in New Hampshire.

(IV) Jeremiah (2). son of Jeremiah (1)
Nettleton, was born October 17. 1738. prob-
ably at Killingworth, Connecticut, and died
in 1815, in Newport, New Hampshire. He
settled in Newport in 1779. having come from
Connecticut during that year with his wife
and eight children, the eldest of whom was
then less than seventeen years old. He set-
tled on what afterward became known as the
Paul farm, and owned Bald mountain and
the land extending thence southward to the
river. He married, November 19, 1761, Love,
daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Post)
Buell, and granddaughter of Samuel and
Judith Buell, great-granddaughter of Samuel
and Deborah (Griswold) Buell, and great-



great-granddaughter of William and Mary
Buell. They were the parents of nine chil-
dren, all except the youngest was born in
Connecticut, namely: Mabel, Charity, Aaron,
Jeremiah, Nathan, Rachel, Deborah, Joel and
Daniel.

(Y) Aaron, eldest son of Jeremiah (2)
and Love (Buell) Nettleton. was born No-
vember 11, 1766, in Kenilworth, Connecticut.
He removed with his parents to Newport, New
Hampshire, at the age of thirteen, and lived
and died on the spot where his father first
settled. He was an excellent farmer, and
also engaged largely in public affairs, being
the first sheriff of Sullivan county. He mar-
ried, March 5. 1793, Mehitable Dow, of
Exeter, New Hampshire. Their children
were : Jeremiah D., Lydia K., Fanny, Aaron
and Mehitable.

1 VI ) Jeremiah D., eldest son of Aaron and
Mehitable (Dow) Nettleton, was born April
10, 1794. in Newport. He lived on the farm
which had been occupied by his father and
grandfather all his life, and died December
8, 1852. He was a representative in 1837-39,
state senator two years and selectman thirteen
years. He was a member of the Baptist
church, was ever courteous in his manner and
enjoyed the confidence of his fellow towns-
men. He married (first) in 1815, Zilpha,
daughter of Zadoc Bowman, and (second)
Orpha Sweet. His children were : Lydia K.,
Fanny E., Jeremiah and Orpha.

(VII) Lydia K.. eldest child of Jeremiah
D. and Zilpha ( Bowman) Nettleton, was born
May 15, 1817. in Newport, and married Octo-
ber 5, 1837, Hiram Emerson, of Lebanon,
New Hampshire. (See Emerson VIII).



The surname Whitte-
WHITTEMORE more is identical with
Whitmore, which is a
more common spelling in the English family.
The name is of local origin the original family
taking their name from the manor of Whit-
more or Whytemere of Staffordshire, Eng-
land. This manor was granted by the Con-
queror to Ricardus Forestarius, according to
the Domesday Book (1086) and he had as
tenants Ulfac, Aldwin, Arnulf and Avisa. It
is supposed that Avisa was the Saxon owner
of the place. Avisa de Whitmore also held
lands from the Conqueror in the hundreds of
Pirehill, Staffordshire, and Brodford, Salop.
The English ancestry of the family as given
in this sketch is an abstract from the private
records of Eli J. Whittemore, of Worcester,



MASSACHUSETTS.



1 42 1



and D. J. Whittemore, formerly chief engineer
of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul rail-
road, who collaborated in a very extensive
research in England. The family was orig-
inally designated by the name de Botrel
(Botreaux, Boterel, or Boterell) from a Nor-
man estate. The first Duke of Brittany, God-
frey, was of this family. When Whitmore
came into possession of the family the mem-
bers were distinguished by the designation de
Whitmore which later became a surname.

( I ) The lineage is traced to the father of
William de Botrel (1100-1135) and-his brother



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 10 of 145)