William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 112 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 112 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


died June 12. 1812. 16. Jervis, November 8,

1 77 1, removed to Springfield, Illinois.

(VII) Levi, son of Josiah Peirce, was
born September 15, 1761, and lived in the
south part of West Boylston, Massachusetts,
on property known later as the Luke Hipsly
place in that town. He married. April 9, 1789,
Persis Robinson, who died in 1838. She was
born in Lexington, and remembered the battle
of April 19, 1775. Children: 1. John, born
January 23, 1790, married Martha Buck. 2.
Nancy, August 15, 1792, married Samuel Dor-
rison. 3. Levi. October 14, 1794. mentioned
below. 4. Josiah, September 13, 1796, mar-
ried (first) Sally Merriam: (second), Mrs.
Hannah Walker. 5. Almira, June 24, 1804.
married Nathaniel Johnson. 6. Ezra B.,
Februarv 7. 1807, married. September 14,
1834, Alary S. Bigelow. 7. Persis, August
11. 1800, married Amory Pollard.

(VIII) Levi (2). son of Levi (1) Peirce,



MASSACHUSETTS.



1925



was born October 14, 1794, died March 24,
1867. He resided in West Boylston where
he was a respected citizen. He was a farmer
and civil engineer, and held various town of-
fices. He was captain of militia, representa-
tive to the general court, assessor and select-
man of the town. He married (first), De-
cember 24, 1818, Polly Merriam, born April
20, 1796, died December 21, 1841. He mar-
ried (second), May 26, 1846, Mrs. Roxanna
Wilcox. Children: 1. George W., born Oc-
tober 15, 1819, married (first), Damaris
Balch; (second), Mrs. Charlotte A. Carter.
2. William, July 26, 1821, married Eliza Hen-
derson. 3. Marcia A., March 20, 1823, mar-
ried, November 29, 1843, George Park. 4.
Mary, June 16, 1825, died June 26, 1825. 5.
Henry, August 27, 1826, married (first),
Theresa Adams; (second), Carrie E. Holt.
6. Jane, October 4, 1828, married, March 25,
1845, Leonard Newton. 7. Adelia, February
18, 183 1, married, September 14, 1853, Dr.
Chauncey A. Wilcox. 8. Levi M., June 21,
1833, mentioned below. 9. James E., Decem-
ber 20, 1834, married Eliza Lovell.

(IX) Levi Merriam, son of Levi (2)
Peirce, was born in West Boylston, June 21,
1833. He was educated in the public schools
of his native town, at Arms Academy, Shel-
burne Falls, at an academy at Ft. Edward,
New York, and at Colby College, Waterville,
Maine, from which he was graduated in the
class of i860. He taught in the state normal
school for the western half of Maine for a
year, in the Uxbridge high school, Uxbridge.
Massachusetts, two years, and in the high
school at Chicopee Falls for eight years. He
then entered upon a business career and dur-
ing the following five years was president of
the Arlington Piano Company. In 1874 he
engaged in the retail music trade in Spring-
field, on Main street, remaining there until his
death, April 1. 1908. He was a member of
Belcher Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons,
of Chicopee Falls. In politics he was a Re-
publican, and was a member of South Church,
Congregational. Mr. Peirce had traveled ex-
tensively, especially in this country while he
was engaged in manufacturing. He was a
well known and highly esteemed citizen of
Springfield. His home was at 247 Union
street. He married, April 24. 1862, Mary H.
Foster, of Norway, Maine, born July 23, 1839,
daughter of William and Calista (Wood)
Foster. Children :

1. Leona May Peirce, born August 4, 1863 ;
attended the public schools of Springfiefd,



graduating from the high school, class of
1880 ; graduated from Smith College, class of
1886; received master's degree in 1893; at-
tended Cornell University two years ; then
took a course at Newham College, Cambridge,
England ; at that institution Miss Clough, sis-
ter of Arthur Hugh Clough, the poet, was
principal, and Miss Helen Gladstone, daugh-
ter of the Hon. William E. Gladstone, was
vice-principal ; upon the death of Miss Clough,
Mrs. Henry Sidgwick, sister of Arthur Bal-
four, was elected to the chair of principal.
Upon her return to the United States, Miss
Peirce entered Clark University as a student
and remained three and a half years, then
spent one year at Yale College, receiving the
degree of Doctor of Philosophy in 1899,
specializing in mathematics ; thesis subject
was "On Chain Differentiants." Miss Peirce
was for two years president of the College
Club of Springfield, and one year president
of the West Massachusetts Branch of the As-
sociation of Collegiate Alumni. She has been
member of the school board since January 1,
1905, and is a member of the Women's
Club.

2. William Foster Peirce, born at Chicopee
Falls, Massachusetts, February 3, 1868. At
the Springfield high school he was prepared
for college, entering Amherst at the early age
of sixteen. Although he took the classical
course, he was greatly interested in natural
science, and until his senior year he expected
to become a practical chemist. For two sum-
mers during his course he attended the Am-
herst Summer School, doing laboratory work
in science. But in his senior year he elected
the study of philosophy with Professor Gar-
man, and he discovered a decided taste for
philosophy, and determined to make the teach-
ing of philosophy his profession. At Amherst
he had the honor to be elected to the Senior
Scientific Society and to the Phi Beta Kappa
Society, and these elections well indicate his
all-around scholarship. Being graduated in
1888, he spent a year in business with his
father, in which he gained a practical knowl-
edge of bookkeeping and much valuable ex-
perience. In 1889 he entered for a year the
Graduate School of Cornell University for the
study of philosophy and economics. His thesis
for the degree of M. A. was presented to his
alma mater instead of to Cornell. It was a
masterly production on the "Methods of In-
ducing Introspective Power : one Aspect of
the Pedagogics of Psychology". It has since
been published as a monograph by the Ohio



1926



MASSACHUSETTS.



University. After the course at Cornell, Pro-
fessor Peirce taught in a boys' boarding school
in northern Massachusetts. In January, 1892,
he came to the Ohio University at Athens as
substitute for the professor of psychology
and pedagogy. His work there was so accept-
able that the chair of philosophy and ethics
was created for him, and he was elected to it.
But at the same time he was considering the
chair of history and economics in the Univer-
sity of Colorado, and the Spencer and Wolfe
Professorships of Mental and Moral Philoso-
phy at Kenyon. Although of the three posi-
tions the one at Kenyon was much the least
attractive financially, the high reputation of
Kenyon in the east and the fact that it was
the college of his church, determined him to
come to Gambier. He has steadily grown in
the esteem of his colleagues and acquaint-
ances. 'With unusual mental strength and at-
tainments he unites unusual loveliness of char-
acter and grace of manner. A profound
scholar, he is a man of the times, awake to
present day interests. In the spring of 1893
he wrote for the University Magazine of New
York some elaborate articles on the college,
which were published with handsome illustra-
tions. Since 1896 he has served as president
of Kenyon College. His ideals for the college
are high, and his interest in all the depart-
ments of the institution is intense. He appre-
ciates the purpose and opportunity of Bexley
Hall, having himself been ordained to the
diaconate in June, 1894. and later to the
priesthood.

In June, 1896. President Peirce received
the degree of L. H. D. from Hobart College ;
in 1908 he received the degree of D. D. from
Western Reserve. He has served as presi-
dent of the Ohio Association of College Presi-
dents and Deans, and is now (1909) vice-
president of the Ohio Society of the Sons of
the American Revolution. He is a member
of the County Teachers' Association and of
the State Teachers' Association, also of the
Society for Psychological and Pedagogical In-
quiry, whose membership is limited to twenty*
five specialists, and is serving in the capacity
of secretary and treasurer.

President Peirce married, June 18, 1891,
Louise Fagan. of Hackettstown, New Jersey,
the marriage being the outcome of an ac-
quaintance and attachment formed in the
Graduate School at Cornell. At the age of
eighteen Miss Fagan was graduated from
Vassar College. After a year of graduate
work at Ya^sar in philosophy and English she



went to Cornell at the same time as Professor
Peirce for further work on these lines.



The family of Trow-
TROWBRIDGE bridge derives its name

from its ancient inherit-
ance, Trowbridge, in Devonshire, England,
where it resided for many centuries, and
which was the property of Peter de Trow-
bridge, in the reign of Edward I. The name
was variously spelled: Trobridge, Troubridge,
Trowbridge, Throwbridge, Trobblebridge,
Strobridge and Strawbridge, the mode gener-
ally adopted now being Trowbridge. Thomas
Trowbridge, of Devonshire, died March 15,
1570, seized of Loxbear, Tiverton and Cal-
wodley in Washfield, Bycott and Easturn.

( I ) Thomas Trowbridge, common ances-
tor of all the Trowbridges in America, emi-
grated from Taunton, Somersetshire, Eng-
land, as early as 1636, as Mrs. Trowbridge
joined the church in that year, and not im-
probably as early as 1634, and located at
Dorchester, Massachusetts. His youngest
child was born there. In an assignment of
land the record reads : "January 2, 1637, It is
ordered that the parties underwritten shall
have each of them satisfaction in Hew of the
calves' pasture, from the burying place
towards John Phillips, Mr. Trobridge, I acre."
Same date, "It is ordered that Mr. Trobridge
have two acres of marsh, in Mr. Ludlow's
neck, where it is out of propriety." March
18, 1^37, "The proportion which each man is
to have in the neck, according to estate and
number of persons. Air. Trobridge, 7 acres 1
rood 20 rods." "The proportion of town pas-
ture and other lands this side the river, 7
acres 1 rood 20 rods." The following year
we find : "It is ordered that Mr. Clark have
liberty to take in four rods of land, next his
pale, towards the meeting house, which is near
the barn that was /<7fi7y Mr. Trowbridge's."
October 31, 1638, "It is ordered that Mr.
Jones shall have one acre of land, near his
own, in Hew of an acre which he bought of
Mr. Trobridge, which was appointed him."
He undoubtedly removed late in 1638 or early
in 1039 to New Haven with the early settlers.
His time was mostly spent in making trading
voyages between Barbadoes and England. The
evidence of his residence in New Haven is the
fact that he owned a house and lot there, and
his three sons lived there under the care of a
servant or steward, named Henry Gibbons,
who so neglected his master's affairs that his
property was attached for the payment of



MASSACHUSETTS.



[927



rates and debts as early as November, 164 1.
The following year Mr. Trowbridge had cattle
at large, and in 1643 he is recorded among
the planters with a family of five — himself,
wife and three sons — and is rated at five hun-
dred pounds. In February, 1644, Mr. Cheever
was allowed four pounds three shillings six
pence for teaching Mr. Trowbridge's children.
Mr. Trowbridge went to England probably in
the latter part of 1644, and never returned to
America. The steward Gibbons neglected
matters in so shameless a manner, taking no
care whatever of the children, that Sergeant
Thomas Jeffries, a friend of Mr. Trowbridge,
took charge of the latter. In consequence of
Gibbon's neglect of the estate it was attached
to satisfy the creditors. December 8, 1645. Mr.
Trowbridge wrote frequently from England
to his sons and the authorities of New Haven
to bring Gibbons to account, and finally, Jan-
uary 14, 1664, sent his sons a power of at-
torney to recover the property from Gibbons,
have it divided equally among them and pun-
ish the steward. A settlement could not be
effected before the death of Mr. Trowbridge,
which occurred at Taunton, England. Febru-
ary 7, 1672, and in 1680, Gibbons, for "sundry
good causes best known to myself," made over
to Thomas Trowbridge, the eldest son, his
house and lot and sundry other property, in-
cluding "the bed and bolster I lie on." He
died in 1686, and his brother, William Gib-
bons, refused to take out letters of adminis-
tration, and said Thomas Trowbridge was ap-
pointed administrator and. as Gibbons had no
children, the matter was thus concluded. The
sons, after attaining their majority, became
men of influence and acquired large estates.
There is no record of the name of the wife of
Thomas Trowbride. but his children were: I.
Thomas, mentioned above, born in Taunton,
England, in 1632; married (first) Sarah,
daughter of Henry and Sarah Rutherford ;
(second) Hannah, daughter of Major John
Nash, and widow of Eliphalet Ball. 2. Wil-
liam, born in Taunton. England, in 1A34. mar-
ried Elizabeth, daughter of Captain George
Lamberton, and widow of Daniel Selivant. 3.
James, see below.

(II) Deacon James, youngest child of
Thomas Trowbridge, immigrant, was born in
Dorchester, Massachusetts, in 1636. baptized
in 1638, and died May 22, 1717. He was but
five years of age when his father removed to
New Haven with his family, but returned to
Dorchester shortly before attaining his ma-
jority, and occupied lands owned by his father



prior to his removal. In 1664 he removed to
Cambridge Village (now Newton). After the
death of his father-in-law, Deacon John Jack-
son, he was elected to succeed him in office in
1675, the duties of which he discharged until
his death, a period of forty-two years. In
1675 ' le purchased of Deputy Governor Dan-
forth, eighty-five acres of land with dwelling
house and outbuildings, on which the deputy-
governor had lived many years, and this estate
was since that time occupied by descendants
of Deacon Trowbridge, and in 1869 was the
property of Nathan Trowbridge, seventh in
descent from the first settler. Deacon James
was chosen one of the first on the board of
selectmen when the town was organized, Au-
gust 27, 1679, and continued in office nine
years ; also served as clerk of writs, 1692-3,
and as lieutenant and representative to the
general court. 1700-1703. His will, dated
1709, had a codicil dated 1715 and was proved
in June, 1717. The inventory of his personal
estate was two hundred and forty pounds
seven pence. He bequeathed the right of lands
he had in Dorchester, which came of his
father, to all his children equally, and all the
right to lands that came by his father-in-law,
Atherton, to his children by his first wife,
equally. He married (first), December 30,
1659. Margaret, died August 17, 1672, daugh-
ter of Major General Humphrey Atherton;
children : Elizabeth, married John Myrick ;
Mindwell, married Jonathan Fuller; John,
married (first) Sarah Wilson, (second) un-
known ; Margaret, married Hon. Ebenezer
Stone; Thankful, married Deacon Richard
Ward ; Mary, married Stedman ; Han-
nah, married John Greenwood, Esq. Deacon
James married (second), January 30, 1674,
Margaret, born 1649, died September 16, 1727,
daughter of Deacon John Jackson ; children :
Experience, married Samuel Wilson ; Thomas,
married (first) unknown, (second) Mary

Goffe. (third) Susanna ; Deliverance,

married Eleazer Ward ; James, married Han-
nah Bacon ; William, see forward ; Abigail,
probably never married ; Caleb, married
(first) Sarah Oliver, (second) Hannah Wal-
ter.

(Ill) William, third son and fifth child of
Deacon James and Margaret (Jackson) Trow-
bridge, was born November 19, 1684, and died
November 19, 1744. He was selectman, lieu-
tenant, and deacon of the church at Newton.
His will, dated 1744, gives five pounds to the
church "to be loaned out so as not to depre-
ciate," the interest to be given to such poor



1928



MASSACHUSETTS.



widows as the deacons judged proper ; to son
James two hundred pounds ; Huldah and
Mary, each one hundred pounds; Margaret,
two hundred pounds; Beulah, two hundred
pounds; Thaddeus, fifty pounds; children of
his daughter Mary Coolidge, three hundred
and twenty-five pounds ; his wife Sarah, fifty
pounds ; the residue of his estate to Lieutenant
Joseph Fuller, Lieutenant William Hyde,
Deacon John Stone and Thomas Greenwood,
in trust for his wife Sarah during her life.
At her decease two-thirds of his real estate
and one-quarter of his grist mill to his son
Thaddeus, and he to pay his son James one-
quarter of its value. William Trowbridge
married (first), December 14, 1708, Sarah,
died Tune 1, 1720, daughter of John Ward,
Jr., and took the end of his father-in-law's
"house; children: Mary, married Richard
Coolidge ; William, died young ; Huldah, died
young; William, died in infancy; Huldah,
marned Isaac Stedman ; James, married Je-
rusha Park ; and two daughters, stillborn. He
married (second), May 30, 1721, Sarah, who
was born March 2, 1694, and died September
10. 1787, daughter of Francis Fullum, Esq.,
and had children : Sarah, died young ; Mar-
garet, married John Druce and settled in
Wrentham, Massachusetts; Beulah. married
Stephen Winchester ; Thaddeus, see forward ;
Abigail, died young.

(IV) Thaddeus, only son and fourth child
of William and Sarah "(Fullum) Trowbridge,
was born in Newton, Massachusetts, Novem-
ber 20, 1728, and died there January 6, 1777.
He took over his father's homestead at about
the time of his marriage. He married, May
20, 1749, Mary, born April 11, 1731, died
April 9, 1813, daughter of Lieutenant Moses
and Esther (Woodward) Craft, of Newton.
Lieutenant Moses Craft was selectman in
1744-45, and in Colonel Choates' regiment at
the time of the capture of Louisburg. After
the death of her husband Mrs. Trowbridge
married, October 1, 1780, Lieutenant John
Rogers, a blacksmith, and an ingenious maker
of clocks and machines of various kinds ; he
came from P>oston and resided in Newton, on
the Roxbury highway, where he died October
19, 1 8 1 5 , at the age of ninety-one years. Thad-
deus and Mary (Craft) Trowbridge had chil-
dren : Mary, married Joseph Hall, of Rich-
mond, Vermont, son of Stephen and Sarah
(Taft) Hall, of Sutton, Massachusetts; Ed-
mund, see forward ; Esther, married John
Wiswall, of Newton, a soldier during the rev-
olutionary war: Samuel, married (first) Eliz-



abeth, daughter of Phineas and Thankful
(Fuller) Bond, (second) Ruth (Fuller)
Trowbridge, widow of his brother Edmund.

1 \ ' ] Edmund, eldest son and second child
of Thaddeus and Mary (Craft) Trowbridge,
was born in Newton, October 30, 1752, and
died there July 30, 1812. He served during
the revolutionary war, as corporal in Captain
Amariah Fuller's company, which marched at
the alarm of April 18, 1775, to headquarters
at Cambridge; also in Captain Abraham
Pierce's company, Colonel Eleazer Brooks'
regiment of guards, February 3, 1778, to April
3, 1778, at Cambridge; as sergeant in Captain
Edward Fuller's company (First Newton),
Colonel Thatcher's regiment, entered camp
September 2, 1778, discharged September 4,
1778. October 1, 1798, he paid direct tax of
United States on two thousand three hundred
sixty-four dollars. January 4, 1801, Captain
Edmund Trowbridge, his son, was one of a
committee of five appointed to devise such
plan as they should think proper in connection
with the Hon. William Hull, relative to the es-
tablishment of an academy within the town ;
and in 1833 the widow of Edmund Sr. kept
the boarding house in connection with this in-
stitution. November 19, 1805, Edmund Trow-
bridge purchased a pew in the new church for
one hundred and three dollars. He married
(first), December 15, 1774, Elizabeth, born in
Newton, March 20, 1753, died February 22,
1799, daughter of Captain Jeremiah and Eliz-
abeth (Murdoch) Wiswall; children: John,
born October 14, 1775, married Eunice Stone;
Edmund. July 16, 1777, married Mary Stone;
William, November 23, 1779, married Anna
Woodward; Polly, August 11, 1782, married
Timothy Emerson; Nathaniel, July 7, 1784,
married Martha F. Hall ; Reuben, August 13,
1789, married Eliza Smith, and settled in Bal-
timore. Maryland; Elisha, August 3, 1797,
married Margaret Stimson, and settled in
Portland. Maine. Edmund Trowbridge mar-
ried (second), January 11, 1800, Ruth, born
July 19. 1752, died July II, 1835, daughter of
Captain Edward and Ruth (Jackson) Fuller;
children: Ruth, born February 8, 1801, mar-
ried William Wiswall ; Stephen Winchester,
see forward ; Elizabeth W., born February 6,
1805, married Luther Davis.

(VI) Stephen Winchester, only son and
second child of Edmund and Ruth (Fuller)
Trowbridge, was born at Newton, Massachu-
setts, June 26, 1802, and died there October
10, 1853. He was very young when his father
died, and was adopted by his maternal uncle,



MASSACHUSETTS.



1929



Deacon Ezra Fuller, a well-to-do farmer, on
the road to Waltham. There Stephen was
raised, attending the district school and be-
coming proficient in his studies. Later he
taught school in West Newton, and in the in-
tervals between school sessions worked on the
farm. He entered into farming for himself
in West Newton, in Washington street,
near the site of the present depot, and
was successful. In 1835 he removed to New-
ton, where he established himself as a wheel-
wright, having served an apprenticeship with
one of the leading carriage builders. He soon
opened a shop at the corner of Pearl and
Galen streets, where he continued as a manu-
facturer of carriages and heavy vehicles up to
the time of his death. He also manufactured
hay cutters, and many times exchanged these
for the products of the district as was the cus-
tom of those days. In business and in his
home life he was an exemplary man, a de-
voted husband and loving father, a true friend
to the poor, and the afflicted and despised
reckoned upon him as one of their most stead-
fast helpers. He was also foremost in the
cause of temperance. In politics he was a
Whig, and filled many important offices in the
gift of the town; he served as assessor for
many years, was selectman, overseer of the
poor, and chief of the fire department. He
was a member of the Newton Freedom Asso-
ciation, and a stanch supporter of the anti-
slavery movement. He was one of the num-
ber who organized the church, and was ever
afterward its most punctual attendant. He
was deacon from 1840 until his death, was
clerk of the Society for twenty-five years, led
the choir for the same length of time, was
teacher in the Sunday school and its superin-
tendent. He married, May 4, 1826, Sarah
Emmons, born in Boston, March 13, 1806,
died in Newton, June 4, 1886, daughter of
Amasa and Sarah (Crane) Murdock, of Bos-
ton; children: 1. Sarah Murdock, born March
7, 1827; married, April 2, 1846, Ethan Weth-
erbee, of Newton, and had children : i. Wil-
fred Augustus, born July 23, 1848, married
Elizabeth Holbrook of Watertown, and has :
Frank Bigelow, married Effie Howard, of
Watertown, and Edward Tyler, who married
Cyrena Atkins, of Newton ; ii. Frederick
Adolphus, married Mary Norcross Lane, of
Newton. 2. Adeline Fuller, born October
23, 1828, died August 24, 1894; married, Au-
gust 18, 1852, George W. Hall; children: i.
Frank W.. born August 25, 1853, married,
May 12, 1875, Eliza J. Titus ; ii. Lilly F., born



May 9, 1855 ; married, October 20, 1875,
Charles Theodore Stetson, and had Frank,
Clifford and Fred; iii. Stephen W., died Oc-
tober 12, 1853; iv. Mary F., born April 10.
1858, died January 16, 1862 ; v. Louis Armit-
age, born January 27, 1864; vi. Mabel T.,
born May 9, 1866. 3. Eliza Davis, born April

4, 1831 ; married, May 29, 1849, Benjamin
Stow Wetherbee, of Newton; children: i.
Charles Clarence, born July 15, 1853, died
September 5, 1854; ii. Helen Frances, born
July 25, 1855, married, June 13, 1877, Oilman
Bradford Paine, of Holbrook, Massachusetts,
and had Harold Clark, born July 18, 1879,
died December 4, 1901 ; Nellie Gertrude, mar-
ried, April 4, 1904, Edward Marcey Hill, of
Boston. 4. Stephen Winchester, see forward.

5. Francis Mortimor, born November 10,
1839, died January 28, 1883 ; married, Febru-
ary 18, 1863, Abbie Ann Learned, of Water-
town. 6. Theodore William, born June 5,
1845, died February 8, 1905 ; married, Octo-
ber 14, 1874, Almira A. Moulton, of Provi-
dence, Rhode Island ; children : i. Herbert
Moulton, born July 5, 1876 ; married, June 8,
1904, Rosalie Wood, of Trinidad, California ;
ii. Julia Moulton, born March 6, 1886, died
April 15, 1888.

(VII) Stephen Winchester, eldest son and
fourth child of Stephen Winchester and Sarah
Emmons (Murdock) Trowbridge, was born
at Newton, Massachusetts, October 5, 1834,



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 112 of 145)