William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 114 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 114 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ages and saw much of the world when a young
man. He learned the trade of leather cutter
in a shoe factory, and finally left the sea and
followed this trade at North Weymouth until
the civil war. He enlisted in April, 1861. on
the first call for troops issued by President
Lincoln, and went to the front as private in
Company H, Twelfth Massachusetts Regi-
ment. He took part in the battle of Cedar
Mountain, August 9-10, 1862, and Thorough-
fare Gap, August 23 following. He was in
the engagement at Groveton on August 30, in
both battles of Bull Run, battle of South
Mountain and Antietam, and the bloody battle
of Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862. He
was discharged on account of disability in
April, 1863. He was unable to work for a
long time after he came home, and then he en-
tered the employ of his father-in-law, who
was collector of internal revenue and had an
insurance agency. He continued in this busi-
ness up to the time he was appointed justice
of the peace by Governor Roger Wolcott, Jan-



MASSACHUSETTS.



1935



uary 26, 1898. He was reappointed at the end
of his term of seven years by Governor Wil-
liam L. Douglas, January 25, 1905, and held
the office up to the time of his death. He was
a prime mover in organizing Lincoln Encamp-
ment Post, No. 40, Grand Army of the Re-
public, and was commander of this post in
1872. Afterward it was merged with Post
No. 58. He was a Free Mason for forty-eight
years, joining Orphans Hope Lodge, April 1,
1857, and continued an active member of that
body until his death. In politics he was a
Democrat, and he was a member of the school
committee. He was interested in everything
pertaining to the welfare and advancement of
the town, and was counted among the most
public spirited citizens. He belonged to the
Village Improvement Society and to the His-
torical Society of Weymouth. In religion he
was a Universalist.

He married, April 30, 1861, Elisabeth Beals,
born December 3, 1839, daughter of Elias
Smith and Betsey T. Beals (see Beals). They
had one son, James Humphrey, born October
9, 1875. He attended the public and high
schools of his native town, and in 1894 went
to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he entered
the office of the Beals & Torrey Shoe Com-
pany, manufacturers of shoes, advanced to the
position of treasurer in December, 1904, and
is now (1909) vice-president, which office he
has held since 1906. He married, October 26,
1905, Inez Ruth Levy, born December 16,
1876, daughter of S. M. Levy, of Milwaukee,
Wisconsin, who is of German birth. Mr. and
Mrs. James Humphrey Pratt have one child,
Robert Humphrey, born February 12, 1908.

This is a Welsh name of great
MORGAN antiquity, it having been in

common use at the time of
William the Conqueror, and appearing on rec-
ords for some centuries prior to that period.
The founder of the Pelagian theory was a
Welshman, whose name of Morgan was thus
translated, its exact meaning being: Of the
sea, sea born or by the sea. The coats-of-arms
of the various branches of the family differ
but little, except in the crest ; they are all alike
in the color of the shield and the main device,
which is an escutcheon in green bearing a lion
rampant in gold.

(I) Richard Morgan, immigrant ancestor of
the family in this country, was one of several
bearing the surname who were identified with
the early settlement of New England, He ar-
rived in Portsmouth prior to 1658, and was



probably induced to come to America by the
freedom of religious thought enjoyed by those
in the new world. He soon settled at Dover,
as we find him taxed there, November 22,
1659. He was prominent among those who
settled Exeter, the records showing that he
had land there, March 29, 1668 ; his grants in
that settlement were : Twenty acres, October
10, 1664; sixty acres, March 30, 1681 ; one
hundred acres, February 21, 1698. He was
one of the sixteen sued by Mason to recover
land. He took the oath of allegiance, Novem-
ber 30, 1677, and was one of the garrison of
Exeter in 1696. Children : Richard, Jr., born
about 1670, married, March 17, 1699, Abigail
Harris ; John, see forward ; Abraham, born
about 1680.

(II) John, son of Richard Morgan, was
probably born in Exeter, New Hampshire,
about 1675, and died at Stratham, New Hamp-
shire, September 29, 1745, in the home of his
brother Abraham. He lived in Hampton,
New Hampshire, on the "Falls" side, where
all his children were born, and he paid a tax
there in 1709 on a large tract of land which
he owned. He served in Captain Samuel
Chesley's company during the French and In-
dian war, and took part in the Port Royal ex-
pedition. He married, July 10, 1700, Deborah,
born June 27, 1679, daughter of Timothy and
Naomi (Sleeper) Blake, of Hampton. Chil-
dren : Luther, see forward ; Joanna, born Au-
gust 4, 1703 ; , born September 24,

1707; married, December 31, 1724, Mary
Dearborn; Timothy, October 24, 1710; mar-
ried, June 16, 1735, Betsey Massey ; Deborah,
April 27, 1813 ; Anna, September 8, 1721.

(Til) Luther, eldest child of John and De-
borah (Blake) Morgan, was born in Hamp-
ton, May 1, 1701, and died in Pembroke, New
Hampshire, December 10, 1768. He was a
yeoman at Pembroke and, December 3, 1760,
the proprietors of the town deeded to him six
acres in the Gore, and to his son Nathaniel
three-quarters of an acre. Since that time
members of the family have lived on the farm,
which was later in the possession of the great-
great-grandson of Luther, George P. Morgan.
This farm was deeded in 1738 to Benjamin
Holt, and in 1749 purchased from him by
Luther Morgan. It was located in the ex-
treme southern part of the township, near
Suncook village. Son Nathaniel built what is
now the front part of the house, and it was
later repaired and improved. Luther Morgan
married, August 1, 1723, Abigail, born in
Pembroke, February 22, 1703, died March 30,



1936



MASSACHUSETTS.



1785, daughter of Nathaniel and Sarah
(Nason) Sanborn. Children: Abigail, born
in 1725, married, about 1756, Samuel Smith,
of Suncook; Rachel, born in 1729, married,
about 1756, John Fellows, of Kensington; Na-
thaniel, born May 16, 1731; Deborah, 1735;
Edward, 1737; Jeremiah, see forward.

(IV) Jeremiah, youngest child of Luther
and Abigail (Sanborn J Morgan, was born in
Pembroke, New Hampshire, August 18, 1741,
and died in the same town, July 21, 1819. He
was a farmer and blacksmith, of large stature
and great strength, and a prosperous citizen.
April 21, 1817, James Wallace, Jeremiah Mor-
gan and Jeremiah Morgan, Jr., with their
home farms and all in the district living
south of them, were constituted school district
No. 8. He was a soldier during the war of
the revolution. July 24, 1777, Nathaniel Stead
Jr., gave to Jeremiah Morgan four pounds ten
shillings "for doing a part of a turn for 2
months servis in the Armey." Later he was
in the alarm list and training band of the First
Pembroke company, Colonel Daniel Moore,
known as the English company, and Decem-
ber 30, 1777, they petitioned the New Hamp-
shire general assembly to be annexed to Col-
onel Stickney's regiment. April 12, 1776, he
signed the oath of allegiance. He married,
January 12, 1764, Elizabeth, born in Pem-
broke, January 21, 1742, died there, April 11,
1815, daughter of Deacon David and Eliza-
beth (Chandler) Lovejoy. Children: 1. Eliz-
abeth, born May 31, 1765; married, December
1 3> 1 7&7> Joseph Mann, of Pembroke. 2.
David, born December 18, 1766, died Decem-
ber 13, 1854; married, July 27, 1788, Lois
Ladd; children: Truelove Ladd, born July 11,
1789; David, March 9, 1792; Jeremiah, Sep-
tember 8, 1796; Lois, April 6, 1798; Jesse,
September 11, 1800; Seth, June 18, 1803; Ira,
December 3, 1805; Lucinda, August 14, 1809.
3. William, see forward. 4. Priscilla, born
July 13, 1773, died April 12, 1862; married,
December 26, 1797, John Johnson. 5. Jere-
miah, born August 12, 1776, died April 12,
1839; married, October 8, 1797, Abigail John-
son; children: Mary, born June 24, 1801, died
June 5, 1873 ; Melinda, born March 10, 1803,
died May 12, 1856; Cynthia, born December
9, 1804, died December 22, 1892; Nathaniel,
born October 21. 1806; Eleanor Johnson, born
December 30, 1808, died May 4, 1858. 6.
Sally, born May 31, 1781 ; married, April 26,
1805. Enoch Holt.

( Y ) William, second son and third child of
Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Lovejoy) Morgan.



was born in Pembroke, April 21, 1769, and
died in Bow, New Hampshire, November 24,
1825. He resided on the paternal farm until
his marriage, when he moved to one of his
own in the southern part of the town. Subse-
quently he disposed of this, and April 27,
1800, removed with his family to Bow, New
Hampshire. He was successful in his under-
takings and became a man of wealth and influ-
ence. He was active in the interests of the
O mgregational church at Bow, of which he
was a devoted member. He married, Novem-
ber 1, 1787, Betsey, born October 20, 1767,
died August 20, 1842. daughter of James Russ.
Children : James, see forward ; Amos, married
Betsey Dunklee ; Asa, married Clarissa Colby ;
Jeremiah, married Abiah Colby ; Martha, mar-
ried John Ypton ; Betsey, married Willoughby
Colby.

(VI) James, eldest child of William and
Betsey (Russ) Morgan, was born in Pem-
broke, November 12, 1789, and died in Bow,
New Hampshire, July 20, 1872. He was eleven
years of age when his father bought a large
tract of land in Bow. and he and five of the
other children of the family had but small
chance of obtaining the regular schooling of
the time. He was, however, of an observant
and quick nature and ready to take advantage
of any opportunity that presented itself. He
worked with his head as well as his hands, and
by the time he attained manhood had more
than a fair amount of knowledge. At the time
of his marriage he built a small house in the
woods near his father's farm, cut timber, made
charcoal, made huge stone walls, and spent his
evenings in shaving shingles. His wife as-
sisted him to the fullest extent. She spun wool
and flax on the "big" and "little" wheels and
wove many yards of cloth in addition to man-
aging her large household. Shortly after the
birth of their ninth child an epidemic of
measles and dysentery carried off four of
their children within sixteen days. He built
two large barns and outbuildings, and in 1S34,
on an attractive rise well back from the road,
a two-story residence. He was accounted a
progressive farmer, and the cultivation of his
one hundred acres compared favorably with
the best in the section. He made a specialty
of growing hops on a large scale, kept forty to
sixty sheep, twenty head of cattle, and was
exceedingly proud of his sleek oxen, which he
used in his lumbering industry. He worked
for a time for the Androscoggin Lumber Com-
pany and for Quaker Rogers, a well known
lumberman. During the winter of 1831-2 he



MASSACHUSETTS.



1937



teamed in Hebron, clearing two hundred dol-
lars, which he donated to the Bow Baptist
church, of which he was a deacon. He was
very generous, hospitable and charitable, his
home being open to the poor to such an ex-
tent that it was known as the "Pilgrim's Tav-
ern." He served the town as selectman, and
was representative to the New Hampshire
general court, 1844-5. F° r several years he
and his wife cared for the town's poor, receiv-
ing but slight recompense for their efforts.
Their home passed into the hands of strangers
in 1863 and they lived with their children. In
1869 Captain A. B. Farmer, a son-in-law, pur-
chased the property, repaired and improved
the buildings and land, planting vines, shrubs
and numerous elms, and the place has since
been known as "The Elms." Mr. and Mrs.
Morgan were both possessed of fine voices and
frequently rode long distances in order to as-
sist at concerts.

He married, at Bow, July 28, 1812, Fanny,
born in Bow, November 20, 1789, died in
Hookset, New Hampshire, October 26, 1872,
daughter of Eliphalet and Eunice (Parks)
Rowell, of Bow. Children: 1. William, born
February 12, 1813, died aged two weeks. 2.
William, born April 17. 1814, died May 19.
i860; married, October 8, 1835, Margaret
Noyes ; children : i. Harriet, died in infancy ;
ii. Warren, born April 18, 1838, died Febru-
ary 9, 1903 ; married, June 8, 1876, Eliza A.
Elliott : iii. Norman, died in infancy ; iv. Har-
riet Augusta, born March 8, 1841 ; married,
November 29, i860, George W. Short ; v.
Edmund Rowell, born March 6, 1843, died
December 5, 1879; married, June 28. 1868,
Mary E. Winchell ; vi. William, born March
28, 1846; married, April 4. 1868. Helen B.
Holt ; vii. Emily, born July 6, 1847. ^'ed Sep-
tember 1, 1868; viii. Mary Jane, born July
26, 1850; married (first), June 16, 1870. War-
ren Brown, (second), October 10, 1S75, Ed-
ward P. Geddings. 3. Asaph, born December
6, 1815, died June 12, 1853: married Sarah
Holt. 4. Eliphalet R.. born August 12. 1817,
died December 22, 1892 ; married Louise Kitt-
redge and has : Sylvanus. 5. James R., born
January 3, 1819, died September 14, 1826. 6.
Fanny, born September 18, 1820, died
September 14, 1826. 7. Sarah R., born
October 7, 1822, died February 25, 1904;
married Jedediah C. W. Frary ; chil-
dren : Fanny, who married William Payne,
and John. 8. Ezra, born April 15, 1824. died
September 12, 1826. 9. John J., born May 9,
1826, died September 28. 1826. 10. Tames R.,



born July 22, 1827, died January — , i860;
married, December 25, 1847, Betsey O. Morse ;
children: i. Sarah Maria, born July 19, 1849;
married (first), March 16, 1867, Martin
Shaw, (second), November 18, 1886, George
Michie ; ii. Betsey Olive, born August 18,

1851, died November 25, 1871 ; married, Au-
gust 18, 1867, Daniel Newton. 11. Ezra,
born September 28, 1829, died November 20,
1885; married Fennette C. Bond; children:
Frank E., Nettie, Edgar, Susie, Alice and
George. 12. Fanny Rowell, born August 31,
183 1 ; married, February 15, 1855, Augustus
B. Farmer ; children : James Isaac, born April
4, 1857, died April 30, i860; Hannah Augusta,
born August 3, 1859; Carrie May, born April
25, 1867. 13. John Johnson, see forward.
14. Cynthia, born May 15, 1836, died Sep-
tember 5, 1903; married (first), November,

1852. Charles Hall, (second), November — ,
1884, Charles Johnson ; children : i. Amelia,
born June 21, 1853; married, May 20, 1871,
John Rowell ; children : Warren A., born Sep-
tember 5, 1873, married, October 14, 1897,
Maude Clough and has : Frank A., born July
4, 1899; b. Bartlett C, born September 25,
1877: married, October 19, 1908, Rhoda
Blake; c. Hattie M., born February 22, 1879,
died September 9, 1880; d. Pearl A., born
August 10, 1886; e. Ethel E., born March 13,
1891 ; ii. Lorin, born March 13, 1859; chil-
dren: a. Arthur, born May, 1881 ; b. Hattie
M., may, 1886; iii. Hattie, born October 13,
1862. died December 3, 1880.

(VII) John Johnson, tenth son and thir-
teenth child of James and Fanny (Rowell)
Morgan, was born in Bow, New Hampshire,
December 10. 1833. His education was ac-
quired in the district school of his native town,
and he assisted with the farm labors until he
was twenty years of age, when he entered the
factory of Charles Austin to learn the trade of
organ reed and reedboard making, from
March, 1853, t0 Ma . v » l &56- He then went to
Boston to Mr. Austin's warerooms, taking
charge of the sales of organs, and at the end
of eight months returned to Concord, New
Hampshire, and entered into a contract with
Mr. Austin to take charge of the reed and
tuning department, having his own work-
men and sharing in the profits with Mr.
Austin. After ten years he formed a
partnership with Alfred Davis, under the
firm name of Davis & Morgan, in the
manufacture of organ reeds and reedboards
for the trade in the United States and Canada.
The factory was in Concord, and at the ex-



1938



MASSACHUSETTS.



piration of one year Mr. Morgan sold his in-
terest in the concern to his partner and com-
menced the construction of machinery for the
Smith American Organ Company in Boston.
He had contracted to remain with this firm
for one year in order to get the new machinery
into proper working order, but remained with
them twenty years in all, in time becoming
superintendent. He went to Worcester, Mas-
sachusetts, for one year, in 1874, becoming
financially interested in the Munroe Organ
Reed Company, but in 1875 sold his stock in
this undertaking and returned to the Smith
American Organ Company. At the comple-
tion of his term of service with this company
he devoted some time to the invention of an
organ reed which differed essentially from
others in an important particular. He spent
ten years in inventing the machine necessary
to manufacture this reed, but owing to the old
style being so firmly established, this venture
did not prove a financial success. About 1895
Mr. Morgan started in the general piano busi-
ness, having warerooms in Boylston street,
South Boston, for two years, then removed
his business to Needham, where he had pre-
viously resided and purchased, in September,
1873, the Whitaker place, a fine homestead in
the center of the town, consisting of about
twelve acres. His trade is very flourishing,
extending over a large section. His political
affiliations are with the Republican party, and
he is a member of the Evangelical Congrega-
tional Church, of Needham, having served on
its standing committee and as superintendent
of its Sunday school, and also as choir direc-
tor. He married, October 5, 1856, at Con-
cord, New Hampshire, Eveline Brown, born
in Bow, July 30, 1838, daughter of Richard
Wheeler and Drusilla (Colby) Goodhue. Chil-
dren: 1. Georgia Eveline, born March 4,
1858, died August 21, 1863. 2. John Edwin,
born October 23, 1859, died August 21, 1863.
3. Jennie Frances, born October 27, i860, died
December 30, 1861. 4. Lewis Edson, see for-
ward. 5. Lizzie Ellen, born August 10, 1864.

6. Anson Winfield, born January 12, 1867.

7. Walter Edward, born October 20, 1872;
married. December 10, 1889, Daisy M.. daugh-
ter of John F. and Alice (Littlefield) Moore,
of Needham ; children : Alice Marion, born
February 15,1891; Amy Eveline, June 1,
1892 ; Adele, June 9, 1895 ; John Moore, July
20, 1898. 8. Lottie May, born June 25, 1875';
married Charles Measure, of Needham, and
has : Beatrice and Walter.

(VIII) Dr. Lewis Edson Morgan, second



son and fourth child of John Johnson and
Eveline Brown (Goodhue) Morgan, was born
in Concord, New Hampshire, January 25,
1863. His preliminary course of study was
pursued in the various towns and cities in
which the family resided, being partly in pri-
vate and partly in public schools. He then
commenced a preparatory course of study to
fit himself for entrance to Harvard Univer-
sity, but his health becoming impaired by close
application, he was compelled to take a com-
plete rest of one year. Upon his return he
was made assistant principal of the Need-
ham high school, a position he held for three
years, then entered the Harvard Medical
School and was graduated in 1892 with the
degree of Doctor of Medicine. He studied
abroad for a period of two years, taking a
course in the Dublin (Ireland) Maternity
Hospital, in addition to his study of special
branches in London, Berlin and Paris, during
this time being awarded eleven diplomas.
While in the Maternity Hospital at Dublin he
officiated successfully in seventeen hundred
labor cases. He studied bacteriology under
Koch and Guenter, and surgery with the late
von Bergman ; diseases of women with Martin
and Oldshausen ; general medicine with Klem-
perer, Senator and Krause ; took a course in
Paris at the Pasteur College ; in Berlin served
as interne at Charite Hospital. Upon his re-
turn to this country Dr. Morgan established
himself in the practice of his profession at
Maiden, Massachusetts, after one year remov-
ing to Needham, where he remained for a
period of four years, then removed to
Brookline, Massachusetts, which he has since
made his permanent home, now reading at
No. 1740 Beacon street. He makes a specialty
of surgical operations, particularly those con-
nected with abdominal diseases, and is fre-
quently called in consultation with other phy-
sicians. While residing at Needham he was
assistant superintendent of the Congregational
Sunday school and had charge of the organ
music. He also served as auditor of the town
for three years. He is a Republican in politi-
cal principle, and an attendant at the Harvard
Congregational Church in Brookline. At vari-
ous periods he has been or is at the present
time associated with the following named or-
ganizations : Was a member of the Royal Ar-
canum, Golden Cross and Good Templars ; is
a member of Norfolk Lodge, Free and Ac-
cepted Masons, of Needham ; of Tabernacle
Chapter. Royal Arch Masons, of Maiden ; of
< rethsemane Commandery, Knights Templar,



MASSACHUSETTS.



1939



of Xewtonville ; was a member of the Ancient
and Honorable Artillery Company and assist-
ant surgeon ; is a member of the Massachu-
setts Medical Society, Harvard Medical Alum-
ni, American Medical Association, Norfolk
District Medical Society, and Brookline Med-
ical Club.

Dr. Morgan married, October 2, 1889, Edith
Atwood, born in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts,
February 2, 1869, daughter of Thomas and
Ellen (Lawrence) Rice, the former proprietor
of a tannery in Shrewsbury. Children : Sam-
uel Rice, born July 18. 1890; Ruth Goodhue,
December 10, 1897.



The McElwain family in
McELWAIN America is of Scotch origin,
or Scotch-Irish, having so-
journed for a short time in the north of Ire-
land on the way from Scotland to this coun-
try. Families of the name are numerous in
the north of Ireland, in the counties of An-
trim. Down and Armagh, province of Ulster.
The name is also spelled McElwane. Mcll-
wain, Mcllvaine, etc. Charles Petit Mcllvaine,
one of the ablest bishops of the Protestant
Episcopal Church in America, is probably the
most widely known member of the family.

(I) James McElwain, immigrant ancestor,
with his two sons, James and Timothy, came
over previous to 1727. In 1728, he bought of
Lamb & Company one hundred acres of land
at the junction of the Ware and Swift rivers,
in what was known as the "Elbow Tract."
This he sold in 1729 to Green & Walker, mer-
chants of Boston. At this time he called him-
self of New Marlborough, and in 1733 his wi-
dow Elenor quit-claimed her right of dower
in the same land, dating it "New Marlborough,
or Kingsfield." In 1729 he received pay from
the town for a journey to Boston, to present a
petition to the general court in regard to the
titles to the land bought of this company. He
was collector of rates for the town, clerk of
the church, and on a committee to provide a
site for the meeting house. His farm was in
that part of the "Elbow Tract" which was set
off as the town of Western (now Warren)
Massachusetts. He died in 1730. Children :
1. James, sold his land and returned to Ire-
land ; never married. 2. Timothy, mentioned
below.

(II) Timothy, son of James McElwain,
was born in 1709, and died September 7, 1790.
He came to New England with his father and
was granted a hundred acre lot near his fa-
ther's. In 1733 he served on a committee to



lay out highways, also on a committee to select
a site for the meeting house. He was con-
stable in 1774. and was a taxpayer of Pal-
mer in 1786. He married (first) August 24.
1738. Anna Spear, who died April 28, 1746.
He married (second) August 10, 1750. Sus-
annah Thomson. Children: 1. Sarah, born
August 24, 1739; married, December 1, 1761,
Timothy Ferrell. 2. Hetty, burn March 24,
1741 ; married. May 19. 1764, John King. 3.
John Allen, born March 12. 1743 : married Au-
gust, 1779. 4- Timothy, born April 17,
1746, mentioned below. 5. Samuel, born June
18. 175 1 ; married. June 2. 1776. Sarah Ferrell.
6. Anna, born February 27, 1753; married,
July 9, 1778, Adonijah Jones. 7. Elizabeth,
born January 31, 1755; married Israel Jones.
8. Elenor, born June 29, 1757. 9. Roger,
born August 23, 1759; married. November 29,
1790, Delina Hill.

(III) Captain Timothy McElwain. son of
Timothy McElwain, was born April 17, 1746
and died November 6, 1830, aged eighty-four.
He lived in Middlefield, Massachusetts. The
house wdiich he built in 1797 on his farm on
the hill tops, still stands, in excellent preser-
vation, a fine example of simple old colonial
architecture, and of a size to meet the needs
of his good old-fashioned family of twelve
children. The place has come down in regular



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 114 of 145)