William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 13 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 13 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

burg and found work as clerk in the general
store conducted by his older brothers, Ezra
and Williston Thayer. As he grew older he
was given more important duties to perform
and when he was about sixteen years old he
was sent out through the country selling home-
made clocks and trading them for barter and
merchandise which could be put in stock in
the store in Williamsburg. Frequently he
made journeys into the Black river country
and there sometimes met people with whose
language he was not familiar and occasionally
he was under necessity of employing an inter-
preter in order to carry on his trade in certain
localities. He was a shrewd young man, but
perfectly honest in his dealings, and having
once peddled his wares in a region his subse-
quent visits always were welcomed and still
better success resulted to himself and his
employers. While in the store at Williams-
burg one of his duties was to receive and
change the mails on the arrival of the post-
riders, which nearly always was after mid-
night : but it is said that he was always wait-
ing at the door, never was found asleep when
the rider came. It is said too that he seemed
to have an instinctive knowledge of the rider's
approach and could distinguish the sound of
the horse's steps when none else could hear
even the faintest sound of the approach. At the
age of twenty-six years he himself became pos-
sessed of a horse and wagon and then set up in
business for himself, peddling clocks and other
wares all through the surrounding country and
occasionally making quite extended journeys,
even in the most severe winter weather. Many
times he was compelled to camp out through
the night, and he became so accustomed to the
severities of weather that an inch or two of
snow on the covers of his bed was not suffi-
cient to disturb his rest or affect his health.
In the course of time he became quite pros-
perous and then acquired a partnership interest

in the business formerly carried on by his
brothers, his own partner being his brother
Ezra. Among other things they engaged in
the manufacture of steel pens for some time,
afterward added general hardware to their
stock and still later put in a line of kitchen
utensils and furniture. This business they
conducted as partners until 1856 and then dis-
solved, William E. taking the hardware branch
as part of his interest. He soon became a
prosperous merchant and manufacturer,
replaced his old buildings with other and larger
"lies, gave employment at times to as many as
twenty-five workmen, and soon gained a wide
reputation for Thayer's cutlery, edged tools
and other manufactures, all of which caused
his name and fame to extend throughout New
England and even beyond its borders. His
general mercantile business also became exten-
sive, and is still carried on by his son. Fred-
erick W. Thayer. About 1842 Mr. Thayer
purchased the old brick colonial mansion house
on Main street in Williamsburg, adjoining the
store property of his brother Ezra. The old
house still stands and retains much of its
former appearance and interior appointments,
even to the ancient fireplace with its crane and
other fixtures. William E. Thayer died in
1893, having lived a useful life and having
attained the good old age of seventy-seven
vears. In politics originally he was a Whig
and afterward a strong Republican. For sev-
eral years he was a member of the board of
selectmen of Williamsburg. He acquired a
goodly estate in lands and other property and
made good use of his means in support of the
church of which for so many years he was a
consistent member, and also in administering
to the relief of poor and distressed families.
His brother Williston met an accidental death
in September, 1859. Mr. Thayer married
twice. His first wife, whom he married Octo-
ber 20, 1840, was Maria S. Dickinson, of Say-
brook, Connecticut, born September 6, 181 3,
died August 14, 1859. He married (second)
December 25, i860, Harriet E. Dickinson. He
had in all seven children, five by his first and
two by his second wife : 1. Frederick William,
November 4. 1844. 2. Alice M., January 3,
1847. 3. Evalina, September 9, 1849, died
young. 4. Adelville, August 26, 1852, died
September 5, i860. 5. George D.. June 14,
1857, a physician and surgeon. 6. Walter
Herbert, July 5, 1862. 7. Hattie Winford,
January 8, 1868.

(IX) Dr. George Dickinson, son of Will-
iam E. and Maria S. (Dickinson) Thayer,



was born in Williamsburg, Massachusetts,
June 14, 1857. He attended the public schools
of his native town, and upon completing his
studies there entered Seabury Institute Mili-
tary Academy at Saybrook, Connecticut,
remaining four years, during which time he
received a thorough training and gained great
proficiency in athletic sports. From a cor-
poral he advanced step by step to sergeant,
then to lieutenant and later to captain, being
in command the last two years. He graduated
with honors in the class of 1876. He took up'
the study of medicine under the preceptorship
of his cousin. Dr. S. E. Thayer, in South
Hamjiton, continuing for eighteen months, at
the expiration of which time Dr. Thaver
removed to Williamsburg and his pupil also
accompanied him, continuing his study for
six months more, making in all two years.
George D. Thayer then entered the College
of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City,
where he pursued a two years' course, and then
matriculated at the New York University,
graduating therefrom with high honors and
the degree of Doctor of Medicine, being the
youngest in a class of ten with high honors
and fifth in a class of six - hundred and fifty
men. He began the practice of his profession
at Northampton, Massachusetts, in association
with Dr. Dunlap, and after practicing with
him for a period of five years branched out
for himself, continuing so to the present time.
His well-equipped offices are located in the
basement of his modern residence on New
South street, Northampton, there being a
separate entrance for his patients. In addi-
tion to his private practice. Dr. Thayer served
as the first city physician of Northampton for
four years, and has been county physician for
the past eighteen years, during which time he
handled many cases at the jail of different
diseases, losing only one, a most remarkable
record. He has been connected with the staff
of the Cooley Dickinson Hospital almost from
its inception, and served as physician for the
Ancient Order of United Workmen and for
about twenty insurance companies. He holds
membership in the Massachusetts Medical
Society, Hampshire District Medical Society,
Northampton Club of Medical Men, is a
Knight Templar, Shriner and an Elk. He is
a Republican in politics. Dr. Thayer married,
December 16, 1885. in Northampton, Massa-
chusetts, Clara Louise Kellogg, daughter of
T.ela and Elizabeth Walcott. One child,
Howell Kellogg Thayer, born September 10,
1 89 1, now in sophomore class in the high school.

The Warner family emigrated
WARNER at an early date from England

to America, and among those
who have borne the name have been prominent
authors, lawyers and political favorites, as well
as men in other honorable walks of life. The
particular family here described have lived
from the first within the confines of Massachu-
setts, and its members have borne their share
in the development of the commonwealth.

(I) William Warner, immigrant ancestor,
was born in England, and in 1637 came to
Massachusetts, where he was among the earli-
est settlers of Ipswich ; it is supposed he died
before 1648. Record is found of the following
children : Daniel, John, and a daughter who
became the wife of Thomas Wells.

(II) John, son of William Warner, who
was born about 161 6, and may have come
from England with his father, although some
authorities say he was the John Warner who
embarked in 1635 from London, on board the
"Increase," aged twenty years. At the destruc-
tion of Brookfield, which was his home, he
removed to Hadley, where his son Mark had
previously settled, and probably died there.
He married, in [655., Priscilla, daughter of
Mark Symonds, of Brookfield. She was his
second wife, as he had several children
recorded before this date. His children were:
Samuel, born in 1640; Mark; John ; Nathaniel,
1655; Joseph. August 15, 1657, at Ipswich,
died in 1658: Mehitable, April 16, 1659;
Daniel. April 16, 1661 ; Eleazer, November
13, 1662; and Priscilla, September 25, 1666.
May 17, 1692, John Warner gave his real and
personal property to his sons Mark, Nathaniel
and Eleazer.

(III) Mark, son of John Warner, was born
in Ipswich. Massachusetts, about 1645-46, set-
tled in Hadley about 1670. and in 1687 removed
to Northampton, Massachusetts, where he died
May 3. 1738. He married (first) December
8, 1671, Abigail, daughter of Richard Monta-
gue, who died February 6. 1705, and (second)
in 1713, Mary Root, of Westfield, who died in
1732. By his first wife he had two children:
Abigail, born August 18, 1675, married
Charles Ferry, of Springfield, and Mark.

( IV ) Mark ( 2), son of Mark (1) and Abi-
gail (Montague) Warner, was born February
20, 1678, at Hadley, Massachusetts, and died
August 3. 1766, at Northampton, Massachu-
setts. In 1746, when the citizens of North-
ampton decided to build "mounts and fortifi-
cations" against the raids of Indians, one of
these was built near the house of Mark


l 4te

"Warner. He married, April 16, 1 701, Lydia
Phelps, who died November 19, 1765, aged
eighty-three years, and their children were :
Lydia, born February 9, 1702 ; Abigail, Febru-
ary 6, 1704; Elizabeth, April 9, 1706; Mehit-
able, August 9, 1708; Downing, December 14,
1710, died February 8, 1729; Mark, December
21, 1712; Mary, May 24, 171 5 ; Daniel ; Naomi,
September 26, 1719; Elisha, October 5, 1722;
and Lucy, September 25, 1724.

(V) Daniel, third son of Mark (2) and
Lydia (Phelps) Warner, was born about 1717,
and resided in Northampton all his life; he
died there in 1804; the house in which he lived
was burned in 1790. He married Jemima,
daughter of Samuel Wright, who was born in
1720, died in 1813, and they had a son Joseph,
and probably other children. Daniel Warner
took part in the expedition against Louisburg,
and was a Revolutionary soldier.

(VI) Joseph, son of Daniel and Jemima
( Wright ) Warner, was born in 1751, died in
1836, at Northampton, Massachusetts. He
married Jerusha Edwards, in 1779, and they
had eleven children, seven sons and four
daughters, among them : Oliver ; Solomon ;
Joseph, born in 1789, died in 1840; and Pro-
fessor Aaron, born in 1794.

(VII) Oliver, son of Joseph and Jerusha
(Edwards) Warner, was born March 3, 1780,
in Northampton, Massachusetts, and for many
years kept a hotel known as the "Warner
House." He married Rhoda, daughter of
Erastus and Rhoda (Hulbert) Bridgman, born
September I, 1784, died June 3, 1868, at
Northampton, and their children were ten, of
which three were : Abner Barnard, born Jan-
uary 8, 1814: Oliver, April 17, 1818, was
elected to the legislature and senate of his
native state, and for fourteen years was secre-
tary of the state of Massachusetts ; John.

(VIII) John, son of Oliver and Rhoda
(Bridgman) Warner, was born February 14,
1825, at Northampton, Massachusetts, died
July 4, 1870. He married Amelia, grand-
daughter of Squire Paine, an old pioneer of
Ashfield, and they had five children, among
them Charles Forbes.

(IX) Charles Forbes, son of John and
Amelia (Paine) Warner, was born November
8, 185 1. on the present site of the Draper
Hotel, in Northampton, Massachusetts; his
name is in honor of Judge Forbes. He is the
editor of the Northampton Herald. Mr.
Warner married, December 10, 1890, Mary
Davres (see Dawes V), and they had four
daughters, two of whom are living: Rowena

Dawes, born January 31, 1892, and Rhoda
Bridgman, February 28, 1893.

This name is supposed to origi-
DAWES nate from Daw, the diminutive
or nickname of David. The
antecedent of most of that name in this coun-
try is William Dawes, who came over in 1635.
His father had come over before this time,
but it is said he did not remain long. Abra-
ham Dawes, thought to be the English ances-
tor, was one of the richest commoners in Eng-
land, under Cromwell helped to support the
royal family in exile, and upon the return of
Charles Second to the throne was made baro-
net. William Dawes, grandson of the emi-
grant, born in Boston, 1745, won for himself
undying fame by being one of the two com-
panions of Paul Revere, in his historic ride,
and like that hero, had much ado to dodge the
British sentinels.

1 I ) Samuel Dawes, of Pembroke, probably
a descendant from the above-mentioned Will-
iam, was born a little before the year 1700, and
died in 1750. About 1714 he bought land in
Bridgewater. Massachusetts, and in 1727 mar-
ried Sarah Howland. of Pembroke, where he
then lived, and had two children ; he removed
to East Bridgewater, where his other children
were born. After his death his widow mar-
ried Captain Daniel Reed, of Abingdon, in
1765, and died January 2, 1775. Samuel and
Sarah Dawes had children as follows : 1.
Robert, born about 1722, married Lydia Har-
den. 2. Samuel. 3. Abigail, 1729, married
Josiah Vining. 4. Content, 1733. 5. Ann,
1735, married Daniel Reed. 6. Mary, 1738,
married Nathaniel Prior. 7. Jonathan, 1745,
married Lydia Snell, went to the revolutionary
war, and never returned.

(II) Samuel (2), second son of Samuel
(1) and Sarah (Howland) Dawes, was born
February 24, 1724, died November 5, 1794.
Before the revolution he removed from Abing-
don to Hampshire county, and in 1755 mar-
ried Abigail, daughter of Isaac Kingman, born
May 19, 1730, died in February, 1808, and
their children were: 1. Ebenezer, born March
1, 1756, married Elizabeth Bailey. 2. and 3.
Betty and Sarah, twins, 1758. 4. Samuel,
December 6, 1760, married Lydia Torrey. 5.
John, March 4, 1763, married Dolly Shaw.
6. Howland, February 25, 1766, died unmar-
ried in 1844. 7. Daniel, September 9, 1768.
8. Abigail, September 17, 1770, married Hatch
Noyes. 9. Mitchell.

(III) Mitchell, sixth and youngest son of



Samuel (2) and Abigail (Kingman) Dawes,
was born August 15, 1772, and lived at Cum-
mington, Massachusetts. He married Mercy
Burgess, January I, 1805, and they had chil-
dren as follows : 1. Sally, born March 9, 1808.
2. Louisa Warner, March 21, 1810, married
Thomas Reed Rawson. 3. Sophronia, March
8, 1 81 2, married William Rogers. 4. Lucretia,
March 20, 1814, married Isaac Williams. 5.
Henry Laurens. 6. Francis Howland, May
11, 1819. 7. Thomas Spencer, April 23, 1822,
married Elizabeth Russell.

( 1\" ) Francis Howland, second son of
Mitchell and Mercy (Burgess) Dawes, was
born May 11, 1819, at Cummington. Massa-
chusetts, in the room which had been the birth-
place of the poet, William Cullen Bryant. A
portion of the Bryant house had been moved
about a quarter of a mile, and became part of
the Dawes house. His opportunities for edu-
cation were few, and he attended the school
at Cummington but a few terms after which
he won his knowledge by his own unaided
efforts, studying evenings by the light of the
fire, carrying a book with him when follow-
ing the plow in the fields, and he also attached
a candle to the head of his bed to use its light.
He was the second of three sons, and while
the other two were receiving college educations
he was working on the farm to help them, and
his study of law was carried on under diffi-
culties which were hard to overcome, being
accomplished mostly in the evenings, until very
late of nights. When he began life for himself
he had not a dollar and was indebted to the
amount of seven hundred dollars, which he
paid and then decided to marry, but after-
wards thought better to wait until he was in
better circumstances. He was the friend of
everyone in the community in which he lived,
and was considered a well educated and un-
usually gifted man, and from his knowledge
of law was often called to settle estates. For
over forty years he served as justice of the
peace, and was one of the old trial judges who
were later superseded by the district judges.
He served several times as moderator for the
town, and by his familiar friends was called
"Square" Dawes, and was often known as the
"Father of Cummington," so great was the
respect for his opinions and advice. He was
called on for toasts on all important occasions,
and was many times the director of funerals.
His friendship was sought by many men of
rank and talent, among them Wendell Phillips,
Charles C. Burleigh, and others of this type.
At the age of twenty-one, Mr. Dawes cast his

first vote for the abolition party, and at his
house was the first underground station of
the party. Later he removed to the Bryant
place, and later to what is known as East
Village, Cummington. Mr. Dawes was pres-
ent at every public meeting in his time, and
generally presided at same. He married
Melissa, daughter of James and Phoebe
Everett, born May 22, 1820, died March 29,
1905 ; the monument raised to the memory
of Francis Howland Dawes and his wife bears
this inscription: "The world is better for their
having lived." They lived together many
years to carry on good work, being united in
heart and hand, and though they never had
any children of their own, their home was
filled with young people, for they took into
their home and reared twenty children, giving
them the benefit of a fine example, and lead-
ing them to live useful lives; they were taken
from various places, but all felt much grati-
tude for their benefactors, who were, each in
their way, father to the fatherless and mother
to the motherless. The twentieth child to
receive the benefit of this good home and care
was Mary Bradley, born in Indiana, March 12,
i860. Her grandfather was Abner Bradley,
and she was the daughter of George and Julia
(Whitcomb) Bradley; her father was a soldier
in the civil war, and at the age of thirty-one he
died, leaving a widow with five small children,
of whom Mary was one; she was taken into
the family circle of the Dawes family in 1865,
at the age of five years, and was the only child
legally adopted by them. Mr. Dawes was a
man who had a strong individuality, and his
presence was greatly missed in the community ;
he became possessed of a comfortable fortune,
and his adopted daughter was sole heir to the
estate left by him.

( V ) Mary, adopted daughter of Francis
Howland and Melissa (Everett) Dawes, was
born March 12, i860, and lived with her foster-
parents from 1865 until her marriage to
Charles Forbes Warner (see Warner IX).

Robert Lawrence, first
LAWRENCE known progenitor of this

family, was of Lancashire,
England, born probably as early as A. D. 11 50
and the ancestor of the early families of Law-
rence in England. Attending his sovereign
Richard Coeur de Lion, to the war of the
Crusades, he distinguished himself in the siege
of Acre and was knighted Sir Robert of Ash-
ton Hall. I lis arms: Argent, a cross raguly



(II) Sir Robert, son of Sir Robert Law-
rence, was his immediate successor to the
estate of Ashton Hall. He married a daughter
of James Trafford, of Lancaster.

(III) James, son of Sir Robert Lawrence,
married, in 1252, Matilda de Washington, an
heiress, daughter of John de Washington.

(IV) John, son of James Lawrence, suc-
ceeded to Ashton Hall. He married Margaret
Chesford, daughter of Walter Chesford. -

( V ) John, son of John Lawrence, was his
father's heir. He married Elizabeth Holt, of
Stably, Lancashire, and died, it is said, in 1360.

(VI) Sir Robert, son of John Lawrence,
succeeded to Ashton Hall ; married Margaret
Holden, of Lancashire. Children: 1. Robert,
mentioned below. 2. Thomas, father of Sir
Arthur Lawrence of Prior's Court, Gloucester-
shire. 3. William, born 1425, fought under
the Lancastrian banner at St. Albans in 1455
and having fallen there, was buried in the
Abbey. 4. Edmund.

( YII ) Sir Robert, son of Sir Robert Law-
rence, had Ashton Hall. He married Ambhi-
libis Longford, daughter of Edward Long-
ford. Children: 1. James, heir to the estate;
married Cicely Boteler. 2. Robert, married
Margaret Lawrence, daughter of John Law-
rence, of Lancashire ; their son John com-
manded a wing of the British army under
Lord Stanley at Flodden Field. 3. Nicholas,
mentioned below.

(VIII) Nicholas, son of Sir Robert Law-
rence, was of Agercroft. Children : Thomas,
Nicholas, Robert, John, mentioned below;
William, Henry, Oliver, ancestor of the Crich-
Grauge branch of the family.

(IN) John, son of Nicholas Lawrence, was
of Agercroft, ancestor of the Lawrence family
of St. James Park in Suffolk. It is stated in
the pedigree of the Lawrence family of Ash-
ton Hall. He died in 1461.

(X) Thomas, son of John Lawrence, was
of Rumburgh and held lands in other places.
Children: 1. John, mentioned below. 2. Rich-
ard of St. Ives. The will of Thomas Law-
rence is dated July 17, 1741.

( XI) John, son of Thomas Lawrence, mar-
ried Margarey . His will is dated July

10, 1504. His wife died in 1507 and both are
buried in the church at Rumburgh.

(XII) Robert, son of John Lawrence, was
named in his father's will and in his wife's and
that of her mother-in-law.

(XIII) John, son of Robert Lawrence, mar-
ried Elizabeth . Children : Henry, John,

mentioned below ; Katherine ; other children.

(XIY) John, son of John Lawrence, mar-
ried Agnes . Children: 1. John, men-
tioned below. 2. Richard, died 1596. 3. Susan.
4. Elizabeth. 5. Margaret. His will is dated
April 27, 1590. He was buried at Rumburgh,
May 21, 1590, and his wife died January 22,


( XV) John, son of John Lawrence, was of
\\ isset in county Suffolk. His will is dated
June 2, 1606, and he was buried January 16,

1607. He married Joan . Children: 1.

Henry, mentioned below. 2. Robert, whose
will names his kinsman, Henry North, of Lax-
field, a son of Sir Henry North, and grandson
of Lord North. 3. Margery. 4. Katherine.

( N VI ) Henry, son of John Lawrence, mar-
ried Mary • His father's will refers to

him as having removed from Wisset to New
England and settled in Charlestown. In the
first division of land in Charlestown he
received on the Mystic side five acres of land
for a house lot, February 20, 1638. Another
lot was transferred to him in 1635 by George
Blott. He seems to have died in the early
forties, and it is supposed that his second wife,
Christian, is the widow, who with her son
John sold house and land there July 22, 1646.
The widow died March 3, 1647-48. The only
child known was John, mentioned below.

( I ) John, son of Henry Lawrence, was bap-
tized at Wisset, county Suffolk, England, Octo-
ber 8, 1609. He is usually known as the immi-
grant ancestor of the family. In 1639 he gave
his age as twenty-four ; in 1657 as about thirty-
five. But he was married before 1635 and his
statement of age was not accurate in either
case, or the clerks of the court recorded incor-
rectly — a very common thing in taking the
ages of witnesses. Lawrence must have been
born as early as 1609, the date of his baptism
in England. He was admitted a freeman April
17, 1637, and received a grant of land at
Watertown of three acres, February 28, 1636.
In 1650 he bought of the town fifteen acres of
comnion land. He was a carpenter by trade.
He sold his mansion and land at Watertown
in 1662 and removed to Groton. In December
of that year he was elected selectman of Gro-
ton. He was evidently a man of some intelli-
gence and influence and a large property
owner. He continued his business of carpen-
ter at Watertown as well as Groton, also in
Boston. He died at Groton, July 11, 1667.
In his will he appoints his wife and sons
Nathaniel and Joseph executors, naming also
sons Enoch, Samuel, Isaac, Jonathan, Zach-
ariah, and daughters Elizabeth and Mary. His



first wife Elizabeth died August 29, 1663, and
lie married ( second ) Susanna Bachiler, daugh-
ter of William Bachiler, of Charlestown. In
her will she mentions daughters Abigail and
Susanna, and her sisters Rachels Atwood and
Abigail Asting. She died July 8, 1668. Chil-
dren : 1. John, born March 14, 1636. 2.
Nathaniel, October 15, 1639. 3. Joseph, March,

1642, died May, 1(142. 4. Joseph, May 30,

1643. 5- Jonathan, buried April 6, 1648. 6.
Mary, July 16, 1645. 7. Peleg, January 10,
1646-47, mentioned below. 8. Enoch, March
5, 1648-49. 9. Samuel, removed to Connecti-

Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 13 of 145)