William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 130 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 130 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

sacre but survived. She was appointed ad-
ministratrix of his estate October 9 that year,
and the inventory was made August 27. Their
son Robert was appointed to administer the es-
tates of both parents September 26, 1694, and
it was not divided until 1700. Their children
were : Lydia, William, Robert, John, Thomas,
Elizabeth, Philip and Joseph.

(II) William, eldest son and second child
of Robert and Elizabeth (Osgood) Quimby
(Quinby), was born June 11, 1660, in Salis-
bury, and resided in Amesbury. He took the
oath of allegiance in 1677, and was a member
of the training band in 1680. He was living
in 1700, and administration upon his estate
was granted June 11, 1705. The inventory
was presented by his brother Robert. The
Christian name of his wife was Sarah, but no
record of her birth, death or parentage is ob-
tainable. Children recorded in Amesbury :
Elizabeth and William.

(III) William (2), son of William ( 1 ) and
Sarah Quimby, was born October 8, 1693, in
Amesbury. He married Hannah Barnard,
born November 26, 1694, daughter of Joseph
and Mary (Jewell) Barnard. They owned
the covenant in the Second Salisbury church,
February 4, 1728, and had children baptized
at that church August 16. 1730, namely: Sam-
uel, Joseph, Enoch, and Hannah ; and on June
9, 1734, their sons Moses and Aaron were also

(IV) Aaron, son of William (2) and Han-
nah (Barnard) Quimby, was born July 22,
1733, and baptized June 9, 1734, in the Second
Salisbury church. He was among those who
asked for the incorporation of Hawke, now
Danville, New Hampshire, and this town was
incorporated February 20, 1760. There are
several among the incorporators of the same
name, including Moses, who was probably his
brother. They removed to Derryfield, now
Manchester, whence they went as pioneer set-
tlers to Weare in 1752-53-54, says one ac-
count. The "History of Carroll County" states
that Aaron Quimby was one of the incorpora-
tors of Weare, one of its first selectmen,
served in the old French war, went on the ex-
pedition to Canada in 1755, was a captain
in the revolution, and was promoted to ma-
jor." His revolutionary record is as follows:
Aaron Quinby's name is on pay roll of Cap-
tain John Parker's company Colonel Timothy
Bedell's regiment of rangers, "raised by the
Colony of New Hampshire in defence of the
Liberties of America, joined the Northern di-
vision of the Continental army under General
Montgomery, 1775." He was a sergeant, en-
tered the service July 11, discharged Decem-
ber 20, after serving five months and ten days,
for which he received pay, twelve pounds six-
teen shillings, and coat and blanket valued at
one pound sixteen shillings, billeting ten shill-
ings six pence ; amounting in all to fifteen
pounds two shillings six pence. In the mus-
ter-roll his age is given as forty-one, occupa-
tion husbandman, and he is credited to the
town of Weare. His name appears again on
a muster and payroll of the men raised and
mustered in the Seventh Regiment, December
16-17, 1776, to be under the command of Col-
onel David Gilman, Captain Gorden's com-
pany, to recruit the American army till March
1, 1777. The payroll of Captain Aaron Quin-
by's company of volunteers in Colonel Moses
Kelly's regiment in the expedition to Rhode
Island, has the following record : Aaron
Quimby, captain, entered service August 6,



1778, discharged August 2j, time of service
twenty- four days, rate per month twelve
pounds, amount of wages nine pounds twelve
shillings, travel out at eight pence, home at
eight pence, one hundred and twenty-five
miles, eight pounds six shillings eight pence,
subsistence money four pounds sixteen shill-
ings total twenty-two pounds fourteen shill-
ings eight pence. The roll, is attested by
"Aron Quinby," but the name is elsewhere
spelled Quinbee and Quenbe.

Aaron Quimby, from Derryfield, March 27,
1754, bought lot 37, range 1, Weare, of Jere-
miah Bennett, the proprietor, who once
thought to settle there himself, for one hun-
dred pounds old tenor bills of credit and
"Emediate settlement made on the lot". He
built a good substantial large house of hewed
h igs and a rough log barn. It was on the north
road from Oil Mill to South Weare, one-half
mile east of Meadow Brook, and the mark of
his cellar can now be seen. When the town
filled up with inhabitants he opened an inn,
probably the first in Weare, and kept it for a
long time. It was a busy house and had some
exciting scenes. The first barrel of rum ever
in town was loaded by him on a "jumber"
and drawn by a horse on the rough path up
the Piscataquog and over the hills to his inn.
How many got balmy on that first barrel can-
not now be told. In his bar-room the old
loggerhead was always kept at a white heat.
With it he warmed the flip made of West In-
dia rum with some pieces of pumpkin dried on
the "lug pole." apple -.kins and bran in it. This
gave it excellent flavor, and lips smacked that
tasted it. Half a mug of flip was three pence.
He also used it to warm the sling and milk,
and sold each for three pence a mug. He was
a prominent man in town, and once held the
office of coroner of Hillsborough county.
About 1779 he moved to Sandwich, then on
the very outskirts of civilization, and bought
four hundred acres of Rock Maple Ridge,
North Sandwich, (paying in Continental
scrip) where he afterward lived and died De-
cember, 1810. He married (first) October 8,
1753, in Hampstead, Anna Batchelder ; died
about 1765; (second) in Hampstead, March
20. 1766, Mary Johnson. Children, first two
children born of first wife: Sarah, Joseph,
Moses, Enoch, Samuel, James, Daniel, Anna,
Aaron J.. Susannah, Johnson D. and Mary.

(V) Rev. Daniel, sixth son of Aaron and
Mary (Johnson) Quimby, was born in
Weare. New Hampshire, December 26. 1773.
He became one of the pioneers of Lyndon,

Vermont, and was a prosperous farmer. He
was also a Free Baptist minister, and erected
the first Free Baptist church in that town. He
never took any pay for preaching, and trav-
elled miles to hold religious meetings. He
married Dolly Burley, February, 1798; she
died September 18, 1800. Their children were:
1. Thomas, born February 11, 1799. 2. Han-
nah. April 21, 1800. He married (second)
May, 1803, Lydia Gilman, born June 4, 1783,
died November 4, 1857.

.( YI 1 Colonel Daniel (2), son of Rev. Daniel
( 1 1 and Lydia (Gilman) Quimby. was born
in Sandwich, New Hampshire, September 10,
1804, died March 10, 1873. He removed to
Lyndon with his parents. He was connected
with the state militia, from which connection
he obtained his title. In religious preferences
he was a Free Baptist. He married Polly
Woodruff, of Westmore, Vermont, September
25, 1825; she was born November 27, 1806,
died November 20, 1877. Children: 1. Horace
A., born April 18. 1828. mentioned below. 2.
Lydia, July 25, 1830. 3. Cordelia H., De-
cember 19, 1832; married H. M. Nichols, of
Lvndon. 4. Daniel J., January 10. 1835, of
Portland, Oregon. 5. 'Lot P. W., July 6, 1837,
of Portland, Oregon. 6. Mary E., May 2,
1840: married James E. Matthewson, of
Springfield, Massachusetts. 7. Laura H.,
March 26, 1842, married Edwin S wetland, of
Portland, Oregon.

(VII) Horace A., eldest son of Colonel
Daniel ( 2 ) and Polly ( Woodruff ) Quimby,
was born in Lyndon, Vermont, April 18, 1828.
He received an academical education at
Brownington Academy, Vermont. After leav-
ing school he engaged as a peddler of silver-
ware and Jewelry. In three years he had
saved enough out of his earnings to start in
business on his own account. In 1853 he
opened a general store at Wheelock, Vermont,
and in 1855 a branch store was started at Lyn-
don Center. In 1867 Mr. Quimby became a
resident of Springfield, Massachusetts, and
for two vears conducted a restaurant and ice
cream parlors, and from then until 1882 en-
gaged in the wholesale and retail fish and
oyster business. He then purchased the old
Deardcn crockery store, which he now con-
ducts ?t No. 9 Hampden street. Springfield,
under the name of Quimby & Company. In
politics he is a Republican, and was honored
by the appointment of postmaster of Whee-
lock and at Lyndon. He is a member of the
Baptist church and contributed liberally
toward the support of the same. He is a



Master Mason, connected with Roswell Lee
Lodge. Commencing life at the bottom of the
ladder, Mr. Quimby has risen to affluence by
his own unaided industry and business fore-
sight. Nature endowed him with a vigorous
constitution and a clear mind. He inherited
little else. A gentleman of the old school of
merchants, his unbending integrity makes him
respected by his associates in the business
world, in which he is an important factor, and
his many charities make him loved by the
poor and unfortunate of his adopted city.

Mr. Quimby married (first) at Sandwich,
New Hampshire, December 7, 1853, Sarah E.,
daughter of" David M. Hodgdon ; she died
March 2, 1854. He married (second) Sep-
tember 18, 1855, Martha M. Sanborn, born
April 7, 1829, died April 15, 1909, daughter
of Elisha Sanborn, of Lyndon, Vermont. Chil-
dren: 1. Sarah E., married John Pettigrew.
2. Irving A., born December 26, 1863; edu-
cated in public schools of Springfield, Mas-
sachusetts, after which he entered his father's
store, where he has since remained. In 1888
he was admitted a member of the firm of
Quimby & Company, but most of his time is
devoted to looking after their trade on the
road, covering western Massachusetts, north-
ern Connecticut, southern Vermont and New
Hampshire. He is a charter member of the
Commercial Travellers' Club of Springfield.
He married, September 9, 1890, Stella, daugh-
ter of Leonard Clark, of Springfield, and their
two children are: Marion, born August 10,
1892, and Horace A., October n, 1894.

The name of Norton is of
NORTON ancient French origin, and the

many distinct families in
America bearing it are undoubtedly descend-
ed from the same source. Their lineage can
be traced back to Le Signr. de Noruile (Nor-
v.ile), who crossed the channel with the Nor-
man Conqueror and subsequently served as
the latter's constable. This de Norvile mar-
ried a lady of the famous house of Valois. A
descendant of Cantable de Novile in the sixth
generation, anglicized the name into its pres-
ent form of Norton. Professor Charles Eliot
Norton, of Harvard University, is a lineal de-
scendant of the constable in the twenty-first
generation. In addition to Norton street, a
prominent London thoroughfare, there are in
England several important rural communities
of this name, viz. : Clipping Norton, Sedbev
Norton. King's Norton and Philip's Norton,
al] of ancient origin, and doubtless deriving

their name from some prominent family or in-
dividual. Several immigrants of this name
are mentioned in the early colonial records of
New England. Captain Walter Norton ar-
rived in America in 1630. George Norton, of
Salem, Ipswich, and other places, who came
from London, was made a freeman in 1634
and died in 1659. William Norton, of Hing-
ham and Ipswich, born in England, 1610,
came in the "Hopewell" in 1635 and took the
freeman's oath the same year. Rev. John
Norton, brother of William, born in 1606,
probably in London, emigrated to Massachu-
setts Bay in 1635, shortly after graduating
from Cambridge, and located in Ipswich. In
1656 he became pastor of the First Church in
Boston, and was noted for his piety and learn-
ing. Nicholas Norton, who is thought to have
come from the county of Herts, was of Wey-
mouth, Massachusetts, in 1638, removed to
Martha's Vineyard, and his descendants are
still found there. A Francis Norton was ad-
mitted a freeman at Weymouth in 1642. A
Joseph Norton was married in Salisbury,
Massachusetts, March 10, 1662, to Susanna
Getchell. Major Peter Norton, an efficient
officer in the revolutionary war, was a son of
Ebenezer, grandson of Joseph, and great-
grandson of Nicholas, the Martha's Vineyard
settler. Bonus Norton, son of William, of
Ipswich, previously mentioned, was born
about 1657, took the. oath of fidelity in 1678,
and was residing at Ipswich in 1691. He was
of Hingham in 1712, but subsequently re-
moved to Hampton, New Hampshire, where
he died in 1718. He married Mary, daughter
of Joseph and Sarah (Whipple) Goodhue,
and had six children : William, Joseph, Sam-
usel, Elizabeth, Lucy and Anne. The line of
descent of the Norton family mentioned be-
low does not appear in any of the genealogies
or other reference works examined for the
purpose of obtaining it.

(I) Michael Norton, place and date of birth
not ascertained, went from Newburyport,
where he had followed the trade of a ship-
carpenter for a number of years, to Derry,
New Hampshire. He married Catherine

. Among his children were: 1. Michael,

became a prominent building contractor in
Cambridge, Massachusetts, and erected a num-
ber of buildings in the Harvard University
group : died in Cambridge, leaving no children.
2. Joseph, became a shipmaster, and died on
the coast of Africa. 3. Plenry ; see forward.

(II) Henry, son of Michael Norton, was
born in Newburyport Settling in Cambridge



in 1815, he entered the employ of Deacon
Nathaniel Livermore and learned the soap-
making trade. Naturally ambitious, he could
not long devote his energies to the interest of
others, and forming a partnership with Hiram
Davis in 1820, this firm secured an old cooper
shop on Windsor street, in which they estab-
lished themselves as soap manufacturers. Sell-
ing out his interest to his partner a few years
later he purchased a farm in Bedford which
he carried on some fourteen months, and re-
turning to Cambridge at the expiration of that
time he resumed the manufacture of soap,
erected a factory on Windsor street and con-
ducted business successfully for nearly forty
years, until his retirement in i860. The re-
maining years of his life were spent at his
home on Windsor street, where he died in
1808. He attended the First Universalist

Henry Norton married Rebecca, daughter
of Levi and Mary (Gill) Pease, of Northboro.
It is definitely known that the Peases of Eng-
land originated in Germany and that a coat-
of-arms was given them by Otho II in the lat-
ter part of the tenth century. Representatives
of the family settled in England and were the
progenitors of the Peases who were among
the early New England colonists. Robert
Pease (I), a locksmith of Baddow, county of
Essex, and his wife Margaret, had children:
Robert, John and Elizabeth. His will was
pmved June 10, 1623 His son, Robert Pease
(II). came over in the ship ''Francis" from
Ipswich, England, in 1634, and settled in Sa-
lem. He was accompanied by his brother
John, his eldest son Robert, and probably his
mother, his wife and other members of his
family joining him later. He was granted ten
acres of land at Salem in 1637 ; united with
First Church in 1643; died in 1644. The
Christian name of his wife was Marie, and
this form of spelling suggests the fact that she
may have been the daughter of a French
Protestant who had taken refuge in England.
His known children were : Robert, John, Na-
thaniel, Sarah (married John Sampson, of
Beverly), and Mary, probably second wife of
Hugh Pasco. Robert Pease (III), son of
Robert (II), was born in England, in 1628,
and came to New England with his father in
the "Francis". Left fatherless at the age of
seventeen, he was in 1645 ordered by the court
to be apprenticed to Thomas Root, to learn
the weaver's trade. In early manhood he spent
a short time at Martha's Vineyard, but the
greater portion of his life was passed in Salem

as keeper of the town herd, as in 1704 he testi-
fied in court that "he had been keeper of sev-
eral lots of creatures, as neat cattle, goats, etc.,
on the land belonging to the inhabitants of
Salem about 60 years agone". He was a mem-
ber of a local militia company, and saw active
service against the Indians in 1676. The
Christian name of his wife was Sarah, and in
[692 both suffered imprisonment on account
of being suspected of witchcraft. He was
living in 1713, in which year he was dismissed
from the First Church in Salem to that of the
Middle Precinct, now Peabody, which he
helped to organize. His children were :
Bethia, died young; Elizabeth; Deliverance,
died young ; Mary, Robert. Isaac, Deliverance,
Bethia and Nathaniel. Robert Pease (IV),
son of Robert (III), was born March 25,
1669. For some reason now unknown he left
home in his youth, and settling in Enfield,
Connecticut, was granted land, prior to his
majority, located on the Somers road, east of
Enfield street. In December, 1691, he mar-
ried Hannah Warriner, and settled upon his
allotment, where he was living in 1744. Chil-
dren : Hannah, Nathaniel, Joseph and Benja-
min. His son, Nathaniel (V), was born in
Enfield. He was a weaver by trade. In 1759
he settled in Blandford, Massachusetts, where
for several years he carried on a public house
in connection with farming, and for three
years was a member of the board of selectmen.
In 1 77 1 he sold his tavern to his son Levi and
is said to have removed to Stephentown, New
York, where he died. December 24, 1730, he
married Miriam Pease, daughter of Robert,
the latter a grandson of John Pease Sr., of Sa-
lem, previously referred to as having emi-
grated with his brother Robert (II). Children
of Robert and Miriam Pease : 1. Nathaniel,
born 1731. 2. Miriam, 1733. 3. Hannah,
x 735- 4- J oe '- l 737- 5- Levi. 6. Abel, born
1 74 1. 7. William. 8. George. 9. Eleanor.
Captain Levi Pease (VI), son of Nathaniel
(V). was born in Enfield, in 1739. He learned
the blacksmith's trade, which he followed to
some extent, and when a young man went to
Stephentown. New York, but returned in 1770
or 1 771, bought his father's tavern in Blan-
ford, and carried it on for some time. At the
breaking out of the revolutionary war he was
enrolled in a Blandford company of minute-
men, but instead of serving in the field was
assigned to duties of a far different character.
For some time he was employed by General
Thomas on the northern frontier as a post-
rider, and displayed much courage and dis-



cretion in .eluding capture while conveying
important despatches. He subsequently proved
exceedingly useful to General Wadsvvorth,
who as commissary-general employed him to
purchase beeves and other supplies for the
army. In these transactions he was often en-
trusted with large sums of money, for which
no receipt was required by the General, who
had implicit confidence in his integrity, and
he never betrayed that confidence. Upon the
arrival of the French fleet and troops at New-
port. Pease was employed by the Continental
government to procure horses for the purpose
of conveying the artillery to Yorktown, and
he was afterward engaged in foraging for the
army. He was always referred to as Captain,
but there is no record of his ever having been
commissioned. Shortly after the close of the
war he established a stage line between Somers
and Hartford, and for many years was en-
gaged in that business. In 1786 he removed
to Boston, where he kept the New York stage
house, some three or four years, and operated
a stage line from that place to Hartford. His
business expanded into large proportions, and
at one time he conducted a stage line from
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, to Savannah,
Georgia, which carried the United States mail.
For a long time he held numerous important
mail contracts, many of which he sub-let to
others, holding himself responsible for their
conduct, and at that time he was the only mail
contractor in New England known to the post-
office department. He was the first person to
procure from the commonwealth a charter for
the construction and maintenance of a turn-
pike road, which superseded the former almost
impassable highway through Palmer and Wil-
braham to Springfield, and while the public
acquired the advantages of a good thorough-
fare, its public-spirited projector lost heavily
by the undertaking through the subsequent
depreciation in value of its capital stock, the
major portion of which was owned by Cap-
tain Pease. About the year 1794 he establish-
ed his residence in Shrewsbury, Massachu-
setts, purchasing the farm and tavern stand of
Major Farrar, and carrying on both for sev-
eral years afterward in connection with his
stage lines. He outlived all of his children,
and died in Shrewsbury, June 14, 1832, aged
ninety-three years. Children: 1. Hannah,
married Thomas H. Kimball, of Boston, 1796.
2. Levi. 3. Lemuel, born in Blandford. De-
cember 16, 1771 ; died married, in Shrewsbury,
1816. 4. Lory, born in Blandford, October 4,
1774. 5. Mary, born May n, 1779; became

wife of Perry Chapin, of Worcester, and died
there, 1807. 6. Jeremiah, born in Somers,
Connecticut, January 12, 1781 ; probably died
young. Levi Pease (VII), son of Captain
Levi (VI), was born in 1768. He married
Mary Gill, and settled in Northboro, Massa-
chusetts, where he died June 20, 1808. Chil-
dren : 1. Hannah, born in Worcester, Feb-
ruary 14, 1789. 2. Thomas, born in Somers,
November 4, 1790; died in Cambridge, 1824.
3. Mary. 4. Levi. 5. Jeremiah ; resided in
Shrewsbury for a time, and removed to South-
boro. 6. John. 7. Pamelia Ann. 8. Susa.
9. Rebecca ; became wife of Henry Norton, of
Cambridge, as previously stated.

Children of Henry Norton: 1. Louisa,
married James Bettinson, of Cambridge, Mas-
sachusetts ; three children. 2. Edward Hill,
see forward. 3. William, married three times ;
had one child, Abbie, by first wife. 4. Han-
nah, married Ward Webber; children: Jo-
seph, Anna, Louisa, Elizabeth and Walter. 5.
Rebecca, married Asa T. Faxon ; children :
George, Anson, Sturgis, Eveline, Amy and
Emily. 6. Henry, married Amy Rand ; chil-
dren : William, Howard and Norton. 7.
Emeline, married Sturgis Center; (second)
James Ingalls ; no children. 8. Caroline, mar-
ried Lyman K. Center ; children : Abbie and
Henry. 9. Mary, married James Sweet ; no

(Ill) Edward Hill, son of Henry and Re-
becca (Pease) Norton, was born at East Cam-
bridge, in the house where he now resides,
September 14, 1829. He attended the public
schools, including the old Cambridge high
school, located at the corner of Broadway and
Windsor street, presided over by Mr. Welling-
ton. He acquired proficiency in the art of
soap making under the direction of his father,
whom he succeeded in i860, and conducted it
successfully until about 1873, when he in turn
surrendered its management to his son. While
at the head of the business he made numerous
improvements, removing the plant from
Windsor to Lincoln street and keeping pace
with the times in the way of improved ma-
chinery. During his active years he affiliated
with the Citizen's Trade Association and the
Non-partisan League, and for two years he
served in the city council. He is a Master
Mason and a member of Amicable lodge.

Mr. Norton still occupies the old home-
stead at No. 402 Windsor street. He married
Mary Ann. daughter of Joseph Weeks, of
Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Children: 1.
Charles Edward, married, and resides in Bos-



ton ; two children, one of whom died in in-
fancy ; their surviving son, Edward H., lias

two children : Charles Edward and . 2.

George W., succeeded his father in business,
and at the present time is conducting a large
and finely equipped soap manufacturing plant
in Somerville. He is unmarried. He resides
with his father during the winter, and spends
his summers at his fine stock farm in Lexing-
ton, where he has excellent facilities for grati-
fying his love for blooded horses. 3. Anna L.,
married Thomas Martin, janitor of one of the
Cambridge public schools, and has one daugh-
ter, Josephine. 4. Josephine, unmarried. 5.
Mary Elizabeth, married Frank Coghlan,
who has charge of his father-in-law's real es-
tate interests. Mr. and Mrs. Coghlan reside
at the homestead.

Sawtell, Sawtelle, Sawt-
SORTWELL well, Sautel, Sartwell and

Saretil are the various spell-
ings of the family of which Richard Sawtell,
of Watertown, 1636, and of Groton, before
1655, is the forebear. Two brothers, Rich-
ard and Thomas Sawtell, immigrant settlers
of New England, came from England before
1636, and Thomas settled in the town of Bos-
ton and Richard in Watertown. Thomas died
in Boston, 1651, and left no male heir.

( I ) Richard Sawtell was made a freeman
of Watertown, "The town upon Charles

Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 130 of 145)