William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 137 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 137 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


then rolled to the back, thus making the neces-
sary "backlog." From the time of John the
homestead was in the possession of the male
line of the family for one hundred and fifty
years, when it passed to the female line. Im-
prints of a seal on the early deeds of the Rob-
insons show that the immigrant brought to this
country a coat-of-arms, whose colors were
gold, green and black, but this was lost about
forty years ago. George Robinson served in
King Philip's war under Major Bradford, and
was a witness to Robert Martin's will, May 6,
1660. He married. June 18, 1651, Joanna In-
graham, who died July 26, 1699. Children :
Mary, born May 30, 1652; Samuel, October 3,
ift54, buried April 23, 1688 ; George Jr., see
forward: Elizabeth, April 3, 1657: William,
March 29, 1662-3, died in 1690; Benjamin,
January 8, 1664-5, died April 7, 1724: John,
November 29, 1668-9, died April 23, 1688-9;
Nathaniel, November 1, died November 9,

r °73-

(II) George (2), second son and third child
of George (1) and Joanna (Ingraham) Rob-
inson, was born in Rehoboth, February 21,
1656. He owned rights near his father, was
an inhabitant and proprietor, having rights
ami titles to the measures, tenements and lands
to the quitclaim deed of William Bradford to
the town of Rehoboth. He married, Novem-
ber 17. i68o, Elizabeth Guild. Children: John,
born September 1, 1681 : Samuel, November
16. 1683: Elizabeth. January 18. 1685; Mary,
February 26, 1687-8; Margaret. June 9. 1690;
Nathaniel. February 1, 1692-3; Abigail,
March 18, 1694-5; Hannah, February 2,
1697-8 : Noah, see forward.

(III) Noah, youngest child of George (2)
and Elizabeth (Guild) Robinson, was born in
Rehoboth, October 9. 1702, and died in Attle-
boro. Massachusetts. He was brought up on
the family homestead and followed farming
throughout his life. He was of frugal and in-



MASSACHUSETTS.



2051



dustrious habits and was noted for his charity.
He married, October 4, 1723, Patience, daugh-
ter of John and and Sarah Daggett, of Chil-
mark, Massachusetts. Children, all born in
Attleboro: Zephaniah, September 29, 1724,
married, May 19, 1752, Deborah Stanley;
Mary, December 20, 1725; Elijah, October 3,
1727. married, April 17, 1755, Sarah Sweet;
William, October 25, 1732; Huldah, Novem-
ber 10, 1735, died December 12. 1735; Enoch,
see forward; Comfort, June 7, 1740.

( IV) Enoch, fourth son and sixth child of
Noah and Patience (Daggett) Robinson, was
born in Attleboro. Massachusetts, November
4, 1738, and died in the .same town. He was
at first a blacksmith, then took up finer me-
chanical work, and upon the outbreak of the
revolutionary hostilities began the manufac-
ture of gunlocks under a sub-contract for the
Continental army. At the close of the war he
engaged in the making of kitchen clocks in
connection with his trade of blacksmith. He
was captain of the company which marched
to Roxbury on the evening of the Lexington
alarm. His two sons, Otis, afterward Rev.
Otis, then ten years of age, and Obed, two
years older, were eager to accompany their
father, and later enlisted in the army. The
record of Captain Enoch is very creditable,
and may be found in any history treating of
the revolutionary war. He married, Decem-
ber 17, 1761, Mindwell. born November 14,
1743, daughter of Nathaniel and Mindwell
Shepard. Children : Obed, see forward ; Otis,
born June 7, 1764: Lnaes. March 18, 1766,
married, March 6, 1792, Jesse Daggett ; Molly,
September 17, 1768, married, December 7,
1791, Otis Tyler; George Whitfield, February
15, 1771, married, July 26, 1791. Silena Rich-
ardson; Lizza, February 20, died March 12,
1773; Elias, April 12, 1775, died April 29,
1776; Chloe. February 24, 1778, died January
2j, 1786: Nancy Washington, November 20,
1780, died November 7. 1786; Willard Shep-
ard, October 20, 1787.

(V) Obed, eldest child of Enoch and
Mindwell Shepard) Robinson, was born in At-
tleboro, Massachusetts. October 7, 1762, and
died in the same town. During the early days of
jewelry manufacture in this country, he was
one of the first in the town to take up his trade,
his shop being at Attleboro Falls, adjacent to
the present homestead of his granddaughter,
Adelaide R. Mackreth. He manufactured ear-
rings, pins and filagree work, in what was
known as "pinchbeck", or imitation jewelry,
this process having been invented by a French-



man in his employ. He sold his wares in Bos-
ton, frequently walking the entire distance. He
taught his trade to his two sons, Willard and
Richard, and after his death the business was
carried on by Richard, Williard acting as
salesman, and subsequently they formed the
partnership of R. & W. Robinson, which de-
veloped into one of the most important of its
kind. Obed Robinson was a soldier during
the revolution, having served in Captain Sam-
uel Robinson"s company. Colonel Isaac Dean's
regiment, which marched March 6, 1781, and
was in service in Rhode Island. Pie married,
December 19, 1786, Abigail, born September
18, 1764, daughter of John and Rebecca
(Herring) Richards. Children: Obed, born
October 10, 1787, married, March, 1807, Abi-
gail Everett; Otis, October 26, 1789; John
Richards. April 30. 1792; Richard, May 20,
1794, married, December 1, 1814, Nancy
Holmes; Henrv. September 10, 1796, died
June 2. 1799: Willard, see forward; Hannah
Sweet, June 25, 1802, married. October 8.
1823, Virgil Blackington ; Sarah Richards,
November 19, 1805, married, April 18, 1831,
Samuel Atherton.

( VI ) Willard, sixth son and child of Obed
and Abigail (Richards) Robinson, was born
in Attleboro, June 15, 1799, and died Decem-
ber 24, 1879. His education was limited to
that he obtained in the district school, and he
early developed a genius for mechanics. He
learned the jeweler's trade from his father,
bringing to it a natural aptitude, and soon dis-
played much skill, especially in the manufac-
ture of gilt buttons. In this he branched out
for himself in 1821, and later became asso-
ciated in a partnership with his brother Rich-
ard, under the firm name of R. & W. Robin-
son. A brick factory was erected in 1827, and
their business was carried on upon a very ex-
tensive scale. Willard constructed new dies
and introduced improved machinery, and hav-
ing seen an "iris" button, studied up the idea
until he had discovered the process and then
proceeded to manufacture what he called an
"opal" button. After the death of his brother
Richard he carried on the business alone for
five vears under the old firm name. In 1843
the fashion of gilt and brass buttons was no
longer in vogue except in military circles, and
this caused Mr. Robinson to suspend his man-
ufacturing operations for a time. Mr. Hatch, a
skilled mechanic in his employ, had, however,
entertained the idea of manufacturing trousers'
buttons bv machinery, taking the tin in bulk
and proceeding step by step to the finished



2052



MASSACHUSETTS.



process. By the combined study and experi-
ments of Messrs. Robinson and Hatch such a
machine was perfected and patented, the pro-
duct having the additional merit of not cutting
the threads which held it to the garment. They
entered into a partnership for the manufacture
of these buttons, which proved very successful
and profitable, and during the civil war filled
many contracts with the government. Upon
the death of Mr. Hatch, Mr. Robinson pur-
chased his interests in the manufacture from
the heirs, and continued the manufacture
alone until his death, when his son, Arthur B.,
took charge of the affairs. Mr. Robinson
was awarded five medals at various exhibi-
tions for the superior merit of the article he
manufactured. He was not only a representa-
tive manufacturer, but made his mark in all
circles with which he was connected. He was
public spirited, and did much to benefit and
improve the town, although he consistently re-
fused public office, which was offered him on
numerous occasions. The beautiful village of
Robinsonville (now Attleboro Falls) was
largely indebted to him for its growth and
prosperity, and he was noted for his charity
to the poor. It was due to his unselfish assist-
ance that not a few of the later day manufac-
turers of that section owe their start and suc-
cess. He was upright and honorable in all his
dealings, and becoming financially embarrassed
at one time and losing all his property, he
knew no rest until he had repaid every dollar
he owed. He was a director of the North At-
tleboro National Bank, and his money and
influence saved that institution during a time
of financial panic. He received a commission
from Governor William Eustis, September i,
1827, as captain of a company of riflemen an-
nexed to the Fourth regiment. Fifth division,
Massachusetts militia. He attended the Bap-
tist church of Attleboro Falls, and contributed
liberally to the building of that edifice. His
political affiliations were at first with the
Whigs, later with the Republicans, and he was
a steadfast admirer of Abraham Lincoln and
the principles he so nobly upheld. Mr. Ro-
binson was a charter member of Bristol Lodge,
Free and Accepted Masons, and a member of
Adoniram Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of
New Bedford.

He married, October 25, 1825, Rebecca
Whiting, born March 3, 1805, died August
Hi, 1 888, daughter of Edward and Amy
(Bucklin) Richards, of Attleboro. Children:
t. Ellen Rebecca, born January 25, 1828, died
November 8. 1880; married Judge John C.



Douglas, of Leavenworth, Kansas ; children :
i. Willard Robinson, married Floyd Smith,
and has: Lothrop ; ii. Harriet Rebecca, mar-
ried James Morton. 2. Jarvis Willard, born
January 5, 1830, died February 9, 1886: mar-
ried Amelia Williams ; children : i. Gertrude,
married William Moore, and has: Lawrence,
Frank, Gertrude and Jannet. ii. Willard ; iii.
Edith ; iv. Ellen Lincoln, married Charles
Murray, and has : Philip and Mildred. 3.
Isabelle Eugenia, born November 9, 1831 ;
married, April 21, 1857, Joseph, born in Attle-
boro, June 29, 1824, died September 20, 1875.
son of Bartholomew and Marcia (Metcalfi
Cushman ; child : Willard Robinson, born
April 6, 1859. 4. Arthur Baldwin, born No-
vember 29, 1833, died December 30, 189 1 ;
married Abbie White. 5. Adelaide Richards,
born March 17, 1836; married, March 19.
1861, Marmaduke Brown Mackreth, of Hull,
England ; child : Fanny Robinson, born Oc-
tober 8, 1862.



Several theories are of-
ELLSWORTH fered as to the origin of
this name, but certain it
is that it is English. One authority says it de-
rives its origin from a small village near Cam-
bridge, England, which is built beside a rivulet
which formerly abounded with eels ; as
"worth" is the Saxon word for place, the vil-
lage was originally called Eelsworth, and as it
was customary for the first settler to take the
name of the place where lived, this became
the name of the family. It has been changed
gradually, to Ellsworth, and is also spelled
Aylsworth, Elsworth, and in many other ways.

(I) Henry Ellsworth, the first of this family
of whom there has been found a record, must
at some time have lived at Pownal, Vermont,
as he had children born there, but the name of
his wife is not known, and his place in the
family tree has not been found. His children
were : Samuel, John, William, Henry Jr.,
Waity. Charity, Dolly and Polly.

(II) John, second son of Henry Ellsworth,
was born at Pownal, Vermont, about 1780.
and when a young man lived some time at
Brookline, Massachusetts, where he had rela-
tives. Soon after the birth of his third child
he removed to Hardwick, Massachusetts, and
later to Worcester, same state, where he died
about 1863. In 1807 he married Lucretia
Thayer: children: 1. Sabrina, born 1808. 2.
Samuel, married Hannah Proctor. 3. Henry,
born about 1813. 4. John Thayer. 5. Mary
C, born January 17. 1825. 6. Alexander, Au-



MASSACHUSETTS.



2053



gust 27, 1827. 7. Lucretia. 8. Lucy. 9.
Hannah Gardiner, April 17. 1830.

(III) John Thayer, third son of John and
Lucretia (Thayer) Ellsworth, was born April
24. 1820, at Brookline, Massachusetts. He at-
tended school only until he was ten years of
age, then finished his education by studying at
home, with such success that he was a valuable
contributor to several agricultural journals.
He had success in his business enterprises,
and when he retired to his farm he managed
same with all the care and attention to detail
which is necessary in any enterprise, and was
amply rewarded thereby. He was a Republi-
can, and an attendant of the Congregational
church. He married, about 1850, Hannah
Maria, daughter of Moses Lawrence, of
Hardwick, Massachusetts. Children: 1. Em-
ory A., see forward. 2. John E., born Janu-
ary 21, 1854, in Hardwick, Massachusetts;
lives in Peterboro, New Hampshire ; married
Susie Haire ; children : John T., Lawrence,
Edna and Ruth. 3. Child, died young.

(IV) Emory A., son of John Thayer and
Hannah (Lawrence) Ellsworth, was born Au-
gust 3, 1852, at Hardwick, Massachusetts. He
received his education in the public schools,
and graduated from the Massachusetts Agri-
cultural College in the pioneer class of 1871,
being a member of the Greek letter fraternity
Q. T. V. He made a study of civil engineer-
ing, and later became an architect. In a
strongly Democratic city he, as a Republican,
served as engineer of water works from 1872
to 1890, and as city engineer from 1884 to
1890. He is a member of the American So-
ciety of Civil Engineers, which is rather ex-
clusive in its membership. Mr. Ellsworth also
belongs to societies as follows: Boston Society
of Civil Engineers, New England Water
Works Association, and American Water
Works Association. He attends the Congre-
gational church. He married (first) Lucy J.,
daughter of Ansel K. and Mary C. (Jones)
Bradford, who died September 16, 1900. They
had three children: 1. Edith C, born Septem-
ber 20, 1875 ; married Eugene T. Bridges, and
bas children : Josephine. Robert and Dean
Ellsworth. 2. Frank Lawrence, born May 3,
1881 ; educated at Massachusetts Agricultural
College. 3. Henry Bradford, born April 30,
1889 ; educated at Williston Seminary and has
entered the Agricultural College. Mr. Ells-
worth married (second) January 15, 1903,
Carrie M., daughter of Henry Meach, born
August 25, 1858.



Three brothers of this name,
GRIDLEY Richard, Samuel and Thomas,
descendants of Robert de
Greidley, was one of the barons to fight
against King John, emigrated from Essex
county, England, to Boston, where Richard
settled, and had seven children. Samuel Grid-
ley probably died soon after his arrival, at or
near Boston, as nothing further is found of
him or his descendants. Thomas Gridley set-
tled at Hartford, Connecticut. Many of this
name fought in the revolution, the most prom-
inent being Colonel Richard Gridley, after-
wards a major-general, a descendant of Sam-
uel ; he had been in the British army, but was
chief engineer in the American army at the
battle of Bunker Hill, where he was wound-
ed. Captain Charles Vernon Gridley, a naval
officer who won fame in the Philippines dur-
ing the late war and died serving his country,
was a descendant of Thomas Gridley, the emi-
grant.

(I) Thomas Gridley came to Hartford,
Connecticut, in 1632, with Rev. Thomas
Hooker's flock, and became a landholder be-
fore 1639. September 5, same year, he was in
Windsor, being one of thirty men sent by that
town with Captain Mason to fight the Pequot
Indians, for which service his heirs received
fifty acres bounty lands, October 12, 1671. He
probably died about 1655, as the inventory of
his estate was made June 12, that year, the
amount being a little over two hundred eighty-
two pounds. October 3, 1653 he attended a
meeting of the original proprietors of North-
ampton, Massachusetts, held at Springfield,
and he removed to the former place, but re-
turned to Hartford before his death. He mar-
ried, September 29, 1644, Mary Seymour, sup-
posed to be daughter of Richard Seymour,
who survived him many years, and after his
death married Deacon John Langdon ; she re-
moved with her family to Farmington, where
both the sons became original proprietors, and
where the family lived for five generations.
Thomas and Mary (Seymour) Gridley had
two sons : Samuel, born November 25, 1647,
and was twice married; and Thomas. They
had one daughter, Mary, who married Thom-
as Root, of Westfield, Massachusetts.

(II) Thomas (2), younger son of Thomas
(1) and Mary (Seymour) Gridley, was born
in 1650, in Hartford, Connecticut, removed
with his mother to Farmington, Connecticut,
and died there in 1742. He married December
25, 1673, Elizabeth Clark, who died in Farm-
ington. in 1696, and their children were: I.



2054



MASSACHUSETTS.



An infant, born and died in 1681. 2. An in-
fant, born and died in 1682. 3. Thomas. 4.
John, born October, 1684. 5. Samuel, March,
1686. 6. Mary. 1687, died young. 7. Mary
born in 1689, married William Judd. 8. Jona-
than, born October, 1690. 9. Elizabeth, born
< Ictober, 1693, married Benjamin Andrews.
10. An infant, born and died 1697.

( 111 ) Thomas (3), son of Thomas (2) and
Elizabeth (Clark) Gridley, was baptized June
17, 1683, and died in Farmington, Connecticut,
in 1754. He married, August 9, 1710, Eliza-
beth Bronson, and among their children were
Jonathan and Thomas.

(IV) Thomas (4), son of Thomas (3) and
Elizabeth (Bronson) was born probably at
Farmington. Connecticut, where he resided.
He was twice married, and had five children :

1. Roger, born in 1752; married June 1, 1775,
Sarah Thompson, and died March 17, 1790.

2. Selah, born August 31, 1757; married, Jan-
uary 1, 1779. Lois (or Sarah) Russell, and
(second) Elizabeth Tichley. 3. Rev. Elijah.
4. Doctor Giles, horn December 10, 1769-70,
died in May, 1816; married Ruth George. 5.
Thomas H, born January 31, 1775, died Au-
gust 4, 1857; married (first I Lucilla Kirtland,
February 2^, 1800; she died June 24, 1826,
and he married (second) Mary Beaman.

<Y) Rev. Elijah, third son of Thomas (4)
Gridley, was born March 27, 1760, at Farm-
ington. Connecticut, and died in Granby, Mas-
sachusetts. June 10, 1834. He graduated from
Yale College in 1788, and the next year was
installed as pastor of the Congregational
church at Mansfield, Connecticut, where he re-
sided for eight years, then became pastor of
the Congregational church at Granby, Massa-
chusetts, where he occupied a house which had
been used by the two preceding pastors, and
which was afterward occupied by his son Ad-
dison. He served the church for nearly forty
years, and was a great power for good in the
community, being an earnest and convincing
speaker, and taking great interest in the well-
being of his flock, visiting many of them on
hi irseback. He had a friendly manner, a ready
smile, and kind word for all. He married,
April 29. 1789, Ruth, daughter of Hon. Eben-
ezer White, of Chatham. Connecticut, born
November n, 1767, died May 13, 1851, at
Granby ; they had nine children, of whom
only three sons and one daughter reached ma-
turity, viz.: 1. Ralph Wells Gridley, gradu-
ate! at Yale College, was settled as pastor of
< '"ngregational Church at Williamston. Mas-
isetts; later removed to Ottawa. Illinois,



and was a pastor of a church there until his
death. 2. Deacon H. W. Gridley, also of
Ottawa, Illinois. 3. Addison ; see forward.
4. Laura Wells, married William Bowdoin,
of South Hadley Falls, a lawyer there ; she
left one son.

(VI) Addison, son of Rev. Elijah and Ruth
(White) Gridley, was born December 18,
1801, at Granby, Massachusetts, and died
there July 4, 1901. He was educated in the
schools of his native town, and lived on the
place occupied by his father, carrying on a
farm. In early life he was an enthusiastic
Abolitionist, but after the organization of the
Republican party espoused its cause. He was
always a devout member of the Congregational
church, and a contributor towards its support.
He married (first), in 1827, Sybil, daughter
of Chester and Lois (Preston) Ayers, by
whom he had five children, of whom two were
Henry Wells and Charles Addison. His wife
died November 14, 1845, ar >d he married (sec-
ond) Maria, daughter of Thomas and Clarissa
(Stevens) Burnham. by whom he had one
child, Edward White, who removed to Hol-
yoke.

(VII) Charles Addison, son of Addison
and Sybil (Ayers) Gridley, was born October
27, 1845, at Granby, Massachusetts, where he
received his early education. He afterward
attended the high school at South Hadley and
business college at Springfield, after which he
remained at home and managed the farm until
he reached the age of twenty-two, when he
entered into business partnership with Eliot
Montague, carrying on a general store at
South Hadley ; two years later he bought out
his partner and took his brother Edward into
the firm, and they did a very good business
until 1876, when they were burned out, and
Charles A. Gridley sold out. In 1878 Mr.
Gridley engaged in business again, and now
carries on the enterprise alone, and by his
careful management has built up a large trade.
Although a thorough business man. he finds
time to interest himself in the welfare of the
town, and for several years was a member of
the school board. He also takes an active part
in church affairs, having been chairman of the
committee which superintended building the
present church, and for many years served as
parish treasurer. He was for some time super-
intendent of Evergreen Cemetery, which owes
much of its beauty to the time and attention he
bestowed upon same, and has been clerk of
the Cemetery Corporation for twenty years.
He is one of the successful business men and




fy. a. ^^?



MASSACHUSETTS.



2055



public-spirited citizens of South Hadley, which
has been his home for many years. He is
chairman of the trustees of the Gaylord Li-
brary Association, also a member of the
Town Library Committee. He married, June
4, 1874, Martha P., daughter of Edward C.
and Elizabeth (Smith) Miller, granddaughter
of Joseph and Martha (Walker) Miller, great-
granddaughter of Leonard Miller, who was a
revolutionary soldier. They have two chil-
dren : 1. James Leonard, born October 4,
1876 ; married Pauline, daughter of Joseph
and Dorcas (White) Clark; and they have
four children : i. Greta C, born March 30,
1904; ii. Elizabeth L., born January 26, 1906;
iii. Charles L., born December 27, 1907 ; iv.
child just born. 2. Bessie, born November 11,
1878; married. October 24, 1906, George F.
Canny ; one child, George Gridley.



The origin of Angell as a sur-
AXGELL name is uncertain. Some au-
thorities claim it is derived
from Angel, a town in France, and some claim
it is from the Greek word meaning "messen-
ger." In very ancient times it was used in
connection with the christian name, to describe
one, and later to show that the family was of
extraordinary beauty. In the Bysantine Em-
pire in 1185, Konstantinos Angelos was a
young man of noble family who received his
name for that reason.

(I) Thomas Angell, immigrant ancestor,
was born in England about 1618. There is a
tradition that he was the son of Henry Angell,
of Liverpool, England, and that at the age of
twelve he went to London to seek his fortune.
In 1631 he came with Roger Williams in the
ship "Lion" from London to Boston, and he
was then regarded as a servant or apprentice
of Williams. He went with Williams to Sa-
lem, remaining until 1636. He removed with
him to Providence, Rhode Island, and had
granted him the lot where now the First Bap-
tist Church, the high school house and Angell
street are situated, fronting on North Main
street. In 1652-53 he was elected a commis-
sioner, and in 1655 constable, which office he
held for many years. He was a farmer. His
will was dated May 3, 1685, and proved Sep-
tember 18, 1685. He was about seventy-six
years old at the time of his death. He mar-
ried Alice , whose will is dated October

2, 1694, and proved the January following.
Children: 1. John, mentioned below. 2.
James, married Abigail Dexter. 3. Amphillis.
married Smith. 4. Mary, married



Richard Arnold. 5. Deborah, married

Seabury. 6. Alice, married Eleazer Whipple.

7. Margaret, married Jonathan Whipple.

(II) John, son of Thomas Angell, was born
in Providence and died there July 27, 1720.
For a few years he lived on the Daniel
Henckes' farm five miles from Providence,
towards Lime Rock on the Lewisquisit road.
He removed to Providence and continued
farming. He married, in 1669, Ruth, daugh-
ter of John Field. He was admitted a free-



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 137 of 145)