William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 142 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 142 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Harvard and on account of his earnestness
and piety was called "the fervent Hooker."
He had the habit of committing his sermons
to memory and was a powerful and effective
preacher. He died at Farmington, Novem-
ber 6, 1697. He married, September 22, 1658,
Mary Willett, born at Plymouth, May '4.
1643, daughter of Captain Thomas Willett.
of Swansea, Massachusetts, afterward of See-
konk, Rhode Island. His mother was Marv
(Brown) Willett. Mary (Willett) Hooker
married (second) August 10, 1703, Rev.
Thomas Buckingham, of Saybrook, Con-
necticut. Children: 1. Dr. Thomas, born
June 10, 1659: married, in 1686. Mary
(Smith) Lord, widow of Richard Lord. 2.
Samuel, May 29, 1661 ; married, June 28,
1687, Mehitable Hamlin, of Middletown,
Connecticut, born November 17, 1666; re-
sided at Hartford. 3. William, May 11. 1663;
merchant at Farmington ; married, 1689, Su-
sannah Blackleach, widow of John. 4. Hon.
John, February 20, 1664-65, died February 1.
1746. 5. Hon. James, October 27, 1666; re-
sided at Guilford, Connecticut; deputy to the
general assembly, 1702-23. 6. Roger, of
Hartford, September 14, 1668, died unmar-
ried 1697-98. 7. Nathaniel, September 28,
1671, died in 1711. 8. Mary, July 3, 1673;
was third wife of Rev. James Pierpont, of
New Haven, and mother of Sarah who mar-
ried the celebrated Rev. Jonathan Edwards.

9. Hezekiah, November 7, 1675, died 1686.

10. Daniel. March 25, 1679. mentioned be-
low. 11. Sarah, May 8, 1681 : married Rev.
Stephen Buckingham, of Norwalk. Connecti-

(Y) Dr. Daniel, son of Rev. Samuel Hook-
er, was born in Farmington, March 25, 1679.
died in 1742. He graduated at Harvard Col-
lege in 1700, and was the first college gradu-



ate from his native town ; first tutor in Yale
College, 1702-03. He studied medicine at
Wethersfield, Connecticut, and declined a
call to succeed his father as minister at Farm-
ing-ton. He was living in Wether sfield in
171 1 and continued there until his death. He
also studied law and was admitted to practice
in 1714-15, but there is no evidence that he
followed the law as a profession, though he
doubtless found his knowledge of law useful
in drawing wills, deeds and other documents
in connection with his practice of medicine.
He was surgeon in the expedition to Canada
in 171 1. He married, June 24, 1707, Sarah
Standley, daughter of Dr. John and Esther
(Newell) Standley, of Waterbury, Connecti-
cut, baptized at Waterbury, Connecticut,
baptized at Waterbury, July 4, 1686,
died June 15, 1726, aged thirty-six. Children:
1. Susanna, born April 14, 1708; married,
October 25, 1726, Ephraim Goodrich, born
September' 12, 1699, son of William Good-
rich, of Wethersfield. 2. Daniel, February
22, 1 710, mentioned below. 3. Sarah, Sep-
tember 10, 1713; married Benjamin Cham-
berlain, of Middletown. 4. Hannah, married,
September 7, 1738, Reuben Norton, of Guil-
ford; she died May 9, 1797. 5- Mary, mar-
ried Elijah Peck. 6. Margaret.

(VI) Daniel (2). son of Dr. Daniel (1)
Hooker, was born in Wethersfield, February
22, 1 7 10. He studied medicine under his father
and settled at West Hartford, Connecticut,
where he practiced his profession during his
active life. He married, April 2, 1729. Sarah
Webster, of the Connecticut Webster family,
to which the famous Noah Webster belonged.
She died September 14, 1761, aged fifty-two
years, at Hartford. Three of their sons died
unmarried. Children, born at Hartford: t.
Daniel, 1730. 2. William, 1733. 3. Sarah,
1736, died young. 4. Susanna, 1738. 5.
Sarah. 6. Thomas, 1740. 7. Chloe, 1742. 8.
John, 1744. 9. Abigail, 1746. 10. Riverius.
mentioned below.

(VII) Riverius, son of Daniel (2) Honker,
was born in Hartford, July, 1749. He settled
in Maine in 1774. He enlisted in October,
1776, in Colonel Benjamin Bellow's regiment
in New Hampshire and marched to reinforce
the northern army at Ticonderoga in the revo-
lution. He enlisted in the continental army
from Colonel North's regiment at Gardiners-
town, Maine, February 2, 1778, his residence
then being Pownalborough. Maine, for three
years. (See Vol. IV., p. 105; Vol. 43, p. 154,
New Hampshire pay rolls at state house, Au-
gusta, Maine). He married, in 1775, Me-

hitable Baker, daughter of Barnabas and Me-
hitable ( Smith ) Baker, now Cedar Grove,
Pownalborough, Maine. They had an only
son, Riverius, mentioned below.

(VIII) Riverius (2), son of Riverius (1)
Hooker, was born at Pownalborough, Maine,
March 18. 1776, died December 30, 1856. He
was a soldier in the war of 1812 at Wiscasset,
Maine, September 11 to 26, 1814. in Colonel
John Stone's regiment. He married, Novem-
ber 28, 1799, Beulah Cannon. Children, born
at Gardiner, Maine: 1. Samuel, October 30,
1800, mentioned below. 2. Riverius, Septem-
ber 25, 1803, died August 31. 1863: married
Hannah Chaddock ; children : i. Frederick B.,
born February 11, 1828, died February 13,

1874: ii. Emeline, married Houghton

and had three children: iii. Ellen Maria, mar-
ried Brookins and had two children ;

iv. Andrew B., born October 2T,, 1836, served
in Union army in the civil war ; v. Caroline,

married Wood and had two children ;

vi. George, born March 2, 1840; vii. Joseph
Edgecomb, lives in Worcester and has three
sons: viii. Warren B., born November 7,
1846, served in Union army; ix. Riverius,
died in infancy; x. Ida. 3. Mehitable, Au-
gust 5, 1806. died September 8, 1865; married

Edgecomb. 4. Huldah Ann, April 29,

1809. died November 11, 1887: married

— Walton. 5. Drusilla, May 3. 1811,

died January 1. 1880. 6. Elbridge Gerry, Oc-
tober 9, 1813, died November 24, 1888; had
three sons. 7. Charles Clapp, April 24, 1815,
died September 27, 189(1; married Fannie
Rhodes ; their son Charles Albert served in
the navy in the civil war ( son Lloyd Lee
Hooker, born April 15, 1878, married, June 8,
1904, Delia A. Blaisdell and had Charles Lloyd
Riverius Hooker, born September 7, 1906, the
youngest of the Gardiner Hookers). 8. Wal-
ton Olney, February 17, 181 8, died Febru-
ary 7, 1887; children: i. Otis A., has no chil-
dren : ii. Ella Hooker Lawrence, has one
daughter, Bertha (Lawrence), wife of Dr.
Black. 9. Delia Ann, born April 1, 1821, died
February n, 1885. 10. Emma J., July 16,
1826. died September 25, 1908, married Jo-
seph Edgecomb ; has no children.

(IX) Samuel, son of Riverius (2) Hooker,
was born October 30, 1800, at Gardiner,
Maine, died there July 15, 1873. He was edu-
cated in the district schools, and followed
farming and lumbering all his active life, re-
tiring a few years before his death. He mar-
ried, June 8, 1828, Rhoda Edgecomb, born
February 22, 1802, died September 14, 1850.
Children: 1. George Washington, born Au-



gust 30, 1827, mentioned below. 2. Eveline,
married, November 10, 1861, Samuel S. Da-
vis; child: Evelyn Hooker Davis, born No-
vember 15, 1872. Two others died in in-

(X) George Washington, son of Samuel
Hooker, was born at Gardiner, August 30,
1827, died February 18, 1853. He was edu-
cated there in the public schools, and was a
farmer and bookkeeper. He married, March
22. 1851, Eliza Annis Ballentine, a school
teacher at Gardiner, who died in 1858 at Gard-
iner. They had only one child, Henrietta Edge-
comb, mentioned below.

(XI) Henrietta Edgecomb, daughter of
George Washington Hooker, was born at
Gardiner, Maine, December 12, 1851. Her
father died when she was one year old and her
mother when she was seven. She went to live
with her grandfather, Samuel Hooker, after
her mother died, and attended the public
schools of her native town. At the age of six-
teen she entered Mount Holyoke Seminary,
now Mount Holyoke College, completing the
full four years course in two and a half. She
taught school in various places and was princi-
pal of the schools at West Charleston, Ver-
mont. After she graduated in 1873, she was
offered the chair of botany at Mount Holyoke.
She received the degrees of Ph.B., Ph. M. and
Ph.D. from Syracuse University. She contin-
ued as professor of botany at Mount Holyoke
College until Commencement, 1908, when she
retired, receiving the retiring allowance under
the Carnegie Foundation for the Advance-
ment of Teaching. She has recently built a
residence at South Hadley, according to her
own designs. She is devoting her attention to
raising Buff Orpington chickens and has won
many prizes at New York City and other poul-
try exhibitions.

Miss Hooker has written magazine articles
from time to time, particularly on travel and
on the history of Mount Holyoke College. She
has traveled extensively in Europe and Amer-
ica having been eight times abroad, and last
summer she spent in Alaska ; she is still a very
busy woman, writing, speaking and reading,
but finds time to devote to her favorite pastime
— her chickens.

The Cummins family seems
CUMMINS to have had its origin in
Confines, near Lille, be-
tween France and Belgium. The name is
variously spelled Comins, Cumings, Cum-
mings and Cummins, and there have been
iv— 21

many other variations in the spelling. Some
of the family believe that the famous Red
Comin of Badenoch in the southeastern part
of Invernesshire, Scotland, was a progenitor.
The family is numerous in Scotland, Ireland,
England and America.

(I) Patrick Henry Cummins, of the Irish
family, was born in county Tipperary, Ire-
land, March 11, 1807, and was nephew of the
great churchman, Dean Ryan, of Cashel,
whose name is inseparably connected with
the events of the memorable year of ninety-
eight. He attended the schools of his native
parish, but when a young lad his father, who
held a high position as surveyor under the
British government, decided to give him the
advantages of life in a free country, and he
was sent to Charleston, South Carolina, to
the Right Rev. John England, the celebrated
Catholic bishop of South Carolina, between
whose family and that of the youth a warm
friendship had existed for many years, and
he became one of the first students of the
Catholic College established at Charleston
by Bishop England. In this institution he
completed a general academic course, win-
ning much distinction for proficiency in
mathematics. He came to Boston in 1830
and in August, 1834, saw the burning of the
Catholic convent at Mount Benedict, Charles-
town, and never ceased to resent the out-
rage of the fanatical mob that committed this
crime and sacrilege. Fortunately the indig-
nation of the Catholic people was wisely re-
strained by Bishop Fenwick and no retalia-
tory action was taken, though the younger
Catholics were ready and willing to give ex-
pression to their resentment. He was em-
ployed for many years at the United States
navy yard in Charlestown as a pattern mak-
er, having at the same time charge of the ap-
prentices at the naval school. He engaged
in business as a carpenter and builder and
was very successful. He designed and built
the staging used in the erection of the Bunk-
er Hill monument, then deemed a work of
extraordinary difficulty. Of an ingenious
and constantly active mind, he invented sev-
eral devices for the furnishing and equipment
of ships, such as folding chairs, cabinets and
improved berths. The cabinet work on Ad-
miral Farragut's flag-ship, "The Hartford,"
was made under his direction. He superin-
tended in part the wood work for the chapel
of the Blessed Sacrament on Union Park
street, Boston, connected with the Cathedral
of the Holy Cross. From 1845 to i860.



prompted chiefly by the consideration of his
health, he spent fifteen winters at Valparaiso
and Buenos Ayres, South America, in charge
of important contracts. He became an ex-
cellent Spanish scholar, and enjoyed his busi-
ness relations with the South Americans. In
1875 he retired with an ample fortune and
established his home in Charlestown, now
part of Boston, where he spent the last years
of his busy and fruitful life, enjoying a well-
earned rest and attending to the education
of his children. He prided himself on the
career of his children, to everyone of whom
he gave a collegiate or a convent education.

He was a Jacksonian Democrat, active and
influential in politics. He was a good speaker
and was often called to the support of his
party on the public platform. His agressive-
ness perhaps was detrimental to his own busi-
ness interests, but his earnestness and ability
were unquestioned. He never sought politi-
cal honor for himself, but gave zealous sup-
port to the principles and candidates of his
party in city, state and nation. Few men had
a larger or stronger influence in public affairs
in that section. He was loyal to the Catholic
church, especially in the trying days of his
young manhood when prejudice and bigotry-
had been inflamed by the falsehoods and at-
tacks of Maria Monk, Theresa Reed and oth-
ers. After the burning of the convent all
Catholic property had to be guarded day and
night against the attacks of mobs and he
served the church loyally at every opportunity.
Throughout his life he was a regular attend-
ant and generous contributor to the church,
a friend of the priesthood and an example to
the younger generations.

He was married in Charlestown, at the old
Church of St. Mary's, to Hannah Kiely, who
was born in the city of Cork, county <■ ork,
Ireland, and was educated at the Presentation
Convent, Cork, under the direction of
Madame England, sister of Bishop England,
of Charleston. She lived with an uncle who
was pastor of Bally martle, county Cork, until
his death in 1840, when she came to this coun-
try with another uncle, the Rev. Thomas
O'Sullivan, then pastor at Bangor. Maine. Af-
ter living some time in Bangor, she came to
Charlestown, Massachusetts. Children: 1.
Mary, born November. 1850; graduated from
the celebrated Lancaster School at North End.
Boston, conducted by Sisters of Notre Dame.
2. John F., September 17, 1852, mentioned be-
low. 3. Thomas. 1854, mentioned below. 4.
Henry, educated in the public and high

schools, graduate of high school; studied
pharmacy under B. O. & G. C. Wilson, botanic
druggists, and succeeded in business ; admitted
his brother Edmund to partnership; died in
1905. 5. Edmund, attended the public schools
and graduated from the full seven-year course
at Boston College ; a class-mate in college of
Archbishop O'Connell, of Boston; was as-
sociated in the business of druggist with his
brother Henry and since the death of his
brother has carried on the drug store alone
with much success. 6. Ellen, graduate of the
Academy of Notre Dame, Lowell, Massachu-
setts. 7. Anna, graduate of the Academy of
Notre Dame, and afterwards entered the No-
vitiate of the Sisters of Notre Dame at Cin-
cinnati, Ohio. Within a year she died with
her early ambition unfulfilled. Her death
was caused by a hemorrhage of the lungs. 8.
William, died young.

(II) Rev. John F., son of Patrick Henry
Cummins, was born at Charlestown, Massa-
chusetts, September 17, 1852. He was one of
the early students in Boston College and his
term there ended in 1872 before formal gradu-
ations were held. He won nine medals and
three premiums for scholarship at Boston Col-
lege in four years. He was the first student
from Boston College to enter Holy Cross Col-
lege at Worcester, Massachusetts, where he
pursued the study of philosophy, winning one
medal of honor. He was one of the two stu-
dents in the graduating class. The oral exam-
ination for the medal that year showed the
two men equally proficient and a written exam-
ination was held to decide between them. But
again they were equally good, and dividing the
honor they left the medal to be awarded the
next year. His classmate was Rev. John T.
Maddon, the present vicar general of Spring-
field, Massachusetts. Father Cummins took
theology in the Seminary at Troy, New York,
where he matriculated December 18th, 1875.
His course here was completed in less than the
allotted time and he was ordained a priest, and
assigned to St. Mary's Church of the Annun-
ciation, Cambridgeport, Massachusetts, De-
cember 23, 1875, Rev. Thomas Scully, pastor.
In addition to the usual work of a curate, he or-
ganized in the three years he was in Cambridge
a battalion of school cadets and a sanctuary
choir in the church, besides assisting the pastor
in establishing a parochial school, one of the
first in the state, in which he was a teacher of
Latin. From Cambridge he was sent to the
parish of Saints Peter and Paul, where he ac-
complished much useful work among the boys

v^f (Q-w^A+Ur u*



of the parish. In the hope of benefiting his
health he was sent to a rural parish at Hollis-
ton, Massachusetts, as curate at St. Mary's
Church, but his health continued to fail, and
after a year and a half he removed to Califor-
nia. Two years later, with his health fully re-
stored, he returned to Boston. In 1888 he was
appointed pastor of the church at Plymouth.
While in this parish he secured the cemetery
for his people in Kingston and it was conse-
crated by Archbishop Williams. He was the
only Catholic priest ever selected to deliver the
memorial oration at the annual commemora-
tion of the landing of the Pilgrims at Ply-
mouth. Upon the occasion of the dedication
of the Pilgrim monument the late John Boyle
O'Reilly wrote and read his oft-quoted poem,
"The Pilgrims." Father Cummins went from
Plymouth to Hopkinton, charged with the
special duty of completing the magnificent
church begun by his predecessor, and after
this task was performed he was appointed to
his present pastorate in the parish of the Sa-
cred Heart, Roslindale, in the city of Boston,
in July, 1893. At that time the place of wor-
ship was a tent and he set to work to build a
church and rectory. In ten months mass was
celebrated in the new edifice. He was indefati-
gable in his efforts to raise funds. He devised
an annual barbecue which became very popu-
lar. Such prominent men as Colonel John R.
Fellows, Lieutenant Governor William F.
Sheehan and Secretary of the Navy William
McAdoo spoke at these great gatherings and
over 100,000 people gathered at the several
barbecues. He built a handsome church and a
modest residence for the priests, and acquired
a suitable lot for a parochial school within ten
years. In addition to the onerous duties of
pastor, he has had charge of the spiritual af-
fairs of the Catholic patients in the insane,
small-pox and isolation hospitals of the city
of Boston. At the close of the Spanish-Amer-
ican war in 1898, he was appointed by Arch-
bishop Williams to hospital service at the
camp at Point Montauk, Long Island. Leav-
ing a substitute in charge of his parish he
turned to his new duty, finding ten thousand
men of the twenty-five thousand landed at
Montauk were sick of yellow fever and other
diseases. He was state chaplain of the An-
cient Order of Hibernians at the time and
many of the soldiers belonged to that organiza-
tion. A considerable part of the force were of
his faith, and his labor was heavy. General
Wheeler at length brought order out of chaos
and the care of the sick and wounded pro-

ceeded with more satisfactory results. Father
Cummins was especially grateful for the ag-
gressive and manful efforts of Congressman
John F. Fitzgerald in relieving suffering and
improving the conditions in camp. Grafton D.
Cushing, of Boston, another volunteer assist-
ant of General Wheeler, was especially com-
mended by the priest for his efficient and self-
sacrificing service there. After three weeks in
camp Father Cummins started home in charge
of one hundred and thirty-five sick and conval-
escent men on the steamer "Lewiston," sent
for the purpose by the Massachusetts Aid As-
sociation. The vessel was wrecked off Point
Judith, but every one of the helpless crew was
carried in safety to shore through the skill
and heroism of the life saving service. After
the wreck, while facing death himself, Father
Cummins devoted himself to preparing the sol-
diers for the worst. The passengers of the ill-
fated "Lewiston" were sent to Boston by train
by way of Newport. After seeing his charges
properly provided for in the hospitals of Bus-
ton, Father Cummins returned to Point Mon-
tauk where he remained as long as he was
needed. Later in the year Father Cummins
was voted the most popular pastor in Boston
in a newspaper contest, receiving 600,000 votes
from the readers of the Boston Traveler. In
accordance with the terms of the contest. Fath-
er Cummins enjoyed a trip abroad.

Under the name of "Christopher Crux" he
has contributed to various magazines. On
two occasions he has been called upon by
Boston College to deliver the Baccalaureate
sermon and once he was Commencement
orator. He received the degree of A. B. from
Holy Cross and A. M. from Boston College.
He has been counted among the most grace-
ful and forcible public speakers in the Bos-
ton arch-diocese. He has often been chosen
to represent his denomination at dedications
of memorials and public buildings and other
occasions of public interest.

Father Cummins takes some pride in the
fact that he was an intimate friend of the late
John Boyle O'Reilly from the time he came
to this country. He is always interested in
the movements for the welfare and freedom
of Ireland : member of the Irish Historical
Society ; chaplain of Saint Ignatius Court,
Catholic Foresters of America, and of John
J. Williams Court, Knights of Columbus.

Besides his proficiency in literature and
music. Father Cummins' artistic sense is
most truly reflected in the beautiful church
which he has just completed and to which he



proudly points as his life-work. It is without
question the architectural gem of the arch
diocese of Boston. Standing at the junction
of Brown avenue and Ashland street, built
in the style of the early English Gothic, of
buff brick and brown stone, with its stately
castellated tower, it is an imposing structure
and exteriorly attractive, but it is the beauty
of the interior which marks the artistic mind
of the man who planned the entire structure.
It is a beautiful artistic unity. The whole in-
terior is finished in white and gold. The
stained glass windows, the altars, and sta-
tions of the cross, are all individual works of
art, and were all made in Boston. "Why
should we go across the water for art when
such excellent work can be found here in
Boston", Father Cummins confidently says.
To .Mr. Hugh Cairns, the sculptor, to Mr.
George W. Spence, the stained glass artist,
and to Emil Habistroh. the mural decorator,
Father Cummins gives -the palm of excell-
ence among Boston arti'sts and to them he
has committed the execution of his ideas.
The architects of this noble building who
have carried out in detail the designs of
Father Cummins are Messrs. Reid and Mc-
Alpine of the Studio building, Tremont
street, Boston. The beautiful lighting fix-
tures and candelabra, the pulpit and sanctu-
ary rail, all finished in verde antique, are
choise specimens of the high grade work
which comes from the studios of Gorham
Company, Fifth avenue, New York. The
grand organ built by James E. Cole & Com-
pany, Melrose. Massachusetts, is one of the
finest electric pneumatic organs ever con-
structed. The well known and accomplished
Boston musical director and organist, Miss
Helen M. Burke, presides at this organ and
directs the well-trained choir of seventy-five
voices in the services of the church. Father
Cummins is beloved by all his people, whom
he has brought in these few years from a
rude tent to a majestic temple.

(II) Thomas, son of Patrick Henry Cum-
mins, was born in 1854. He attended the pub-
lic schools and Boston College. He established
the Cummins Pharmacy in 1872. which still
stands in the street in Charlestown where
he was born. He studied his profes-
sion in P.ellevue Hospital Medical School,
New York City; was appointed assist-
ant instructor in surgery, but his health failed
and lie was obliged to resign. He continued
his studies and research and wrote often for
medical journals. He contributed to the Med-

ical Review a series of articles on climatology,
which attracted much favorable notice in the
profession and were highly commended at
the World's Congress of Physicians. He was
finallv obliged to give up business on account
of failing health. He traveled extensively for
his health and incidentally corresponded for
various journals. He made a special investi-
gation of climate in its relation to tuberculosis.

Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 142 of 145)