William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 17 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 17 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


MASSACH USETTS.



MS i



Humphrey of Southvvick, Massachusetts.

His descent from Governor Winthrop is as
follows: He was the son of Adelaide Wells
King Humphrey, who was the daughter of
Seth (2) King. Seth (2) was the son of
Lydia Ballantyne, Mrs. Seth King ( 1 ) . She
was the daughter of Rev. John Ballantyne who
was the son of Mary Winthrop, Mrs. Colonel
John Ballantyne. She was the daughter of
Adam (2) Winthrop, who was the son of
Adam ( 1 ) Winthrop. He was the son of John
Winthrop, the second governor of Massachu-
setts Bay Colony, 1630- 1634, 1637- 1640. The
two daughters of William S. and Martha F.
(Harmon) Humphrey are: Helen Harmon,
March 19, 1893; Ruth Winthrop, December
11, 1894, both born at Parsons, Kansas. 2.
Clara Eliza, born October 22, 1862, is a woman
of bright' mind, and an efficient and devoted
wife and mother. She married, September 19,
1883, Edward C. Johnson and lives in Spring-
field. Their children, all born in Springfield,
are Edward Phelps, November 22, 1889;
Elfrida M. ; December 15, 1891 ; and Arthur
A., July 2, 1896. 3. Lilla Maria, born in Suf-
field, August 1, 1865, took an additional course
in drawing and painting under the instruction
of Artist Adams, and developed her rare
natural gifts for artistic work and later took
lessons in artistic designing at the Woman's
School of Design in Philadelphia, where she
graduated. Mr. G. W. Harmon, of Benning-
ton, was the historian of the Harmon family
and since his death the mantle has fallen upon
Israel Harmon, the subject.



In England, in the seventeenth
LOOM IS and eighteenth centuries, the

the name was spelled Lummas,
Lommas, or Lomis, but in the nineteenth cen-
tury it was uniformly spelled Lomas, while
in New England in the seventeenth century
it was spelled Lomis, Lomys or Lomas, and in
the nineteenth century it was with a few ex-
ceptions spelled Loomis. The common ances-
tor in New England of the Loomis family was
Joseph Loomis, one of the first settlers of
Windsor, Connecticut, in 1639. The Lummis
family have, for their common ancestor,
Edward Lomas. born about 1606; came from
London, England, to New England in 1635
and settled in Ipswich, Massachusetts Bay
Colony, as early as 1648. Of his six children
John settled in Salem ; Samuel in Hamilton,
Nathaniel in Dover ; Jonathan in Ipswich. The
only son who went beyond the bounds of the
Massachusetts Bay Colony was Edward who



located in Cohansey, New Jersey. This family
generally spell their name Lummis. The Lomas
family are descended from Joseph Lomas, born
in England about 1 76 1, a soldier in the army
of General Burgoyne and after the revolu-
tion in America, settled in Andover, Massa-
chusetts, and died in Erie county, New York,
about 1830. He had ten children, including
six sons who married and had children.

( I ) Joseph Loomis, immigrant ancestor,
born in Braintree, Essex county, England,
about 1590, came from London, England, in
the "Susan & Ellen," Mr. Edward Payne,
master, to Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony,
arriving July 17, 1638. He brought with him
his wife, five sons and three daughters, and
they migrated from Boston to the west side
of the Connecticut river with Rev. Ephraim
Huet who arrived at Windsor, August 17,
1639. This territory was in the possession of
the Massachusetts Bay Colony who granted
to Joseph Loomis from the plantation twenty-
one acres of land adjoining Farrington river
and he also had several large tracts of land on
the east side of the river by purchase. He built
his home near the mouth of the Farrington
river on what was an island at high water
during the spring freshets, hence the location
was known as the Island. The name of his
wife does not appear on the records. She
died August 23, 1652, having borne him eleven
children, and Joseph, the patriarch immigrant,
died November 25, 1658. The children of
Joseph Loomis, all born in England, were: 1.
Joseph, born in England about 1616, married
"(first) Sarah Hill, 1646, and (second) Mary
Chancery, 1659, and had twelve children all
born in Windsor. 2. A daughter who married
Captain Nicholas Olmstead, of Hartford, in
1640. 3. Elizabeth, married Josiah Hull, May
20, 1 641, and moved to Killingworth. 4. Dea-
con John (q. v.), 1622. 5. Thomas, married
Hanah Fox, November 1, 1653, and (second)
Mary, daughter of Thomas Judd, January 1,
1662-63 : lne y ' la d eleven children born in
Windsor. 6. Nathaniel, married Elizabeth,
daughter of John Moore, November 24, 1653.
7. Mary, married (first) John Skinner and
( second ) Owen Tudor. 8. Lieutenant Samuel,
married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Judd,
December 27, 1653, and had ten children, eight
horn in Windsor, Connecticut, and two in
Westfield, Massachusetts Bay Colony ; he was
appointed ensign of the first company of West-
field commanded by Major John Pynchon by
the general court in 1674 and served in the
Indian troubles of 1677.



M5 2



MASSACHUSETTS.



(II) Deacon John, second son of Joseph
Loomis. of Windsor, was born in England in
1622, came to New England with his father's
family in 1638, was admitted to the church
at Windsor, October 11, 1640, and married
Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Scott, of Hart-
ford, February 3, 1648-49. He was granted
forty acres of land from the plantation, May
3, 1643, and resided in Farmington from 1652
to 1660. He returned to Windsor in 1660
and became a deacon of the church. He served
as deputy to the general court of the Connecti-
cut Colony, 1666-67, and 1675 to 1687. The
children of Deacon John and Elizabeth (Scott)
Loomis were born in the order as follows: 1.
Deacon John, November 9, 1649, married and
had nine children by the first wife, and he
married (second) Sarah, widow of Isaac
Warner, December 30, 1696; she had no chil-
dren by him ; he lived first in Windsor and
died in' Lebanon August 31, 1715. 2. Deacon
Joseph, November 7, 1651, married Hannah

* , had seven children ; he died 1699. 3.

Thomas, December 3, 1653, married Sarah,
daughter of Samuel White, of Hartford, and
had two children, John and Thomas; he died
August 12, 1688.. and his widow married John
Bissell, November 12, 1689, and removed to
Lebanon. 4. Samuel, June 29, 1655, died
young. 5. Daniel, June 16, 1657, married
(first) Mary, daughter of Josiah Ellsworth
and (second) Hannah Drake, widow; had
nine children by Mary Ellsworth. 6. James,
September 19, 1659, died December 14, 1669.
7. Timothy, July 27, 1661, married Rebecca
Porter, March 20, 1689-90, lived in Windsor,
had seven children ; he died May 19, 1710, and
his widow April 21, 1750. 8. Ensign Nathaniel,
July 8. 1663, married Ruth Porter, November
28, 1689. had five children; was deputy to the
general court, 1708-10, and died in Bolton,
June 25. 1732, and his widow February 16,
1753. 9. Deacon Samuel (q. v.), August 12,
1666. 10. Isaac. August 31, 1668, died De-
cember 12, 1688. 11. Elizabeth, May 8, 1671,
married John Brown, February 4, 1691-92,
and from this marriage John Brown, of Har-
pers Ferry tragedy, 1859, was a direct descend-
ant. 12. Mary, August 7, 1673, died May 14.
1675. Deacon John Loomis, the father of
these children, died in Windsor, September I,
1688, and a monument marks his grave in the
Windsor burying ground. His widow died
May 7, 1696.

(Ill) Deacon Samuel, ninth son and ninth
child of Deacon John and Elizabeth (Scott)
Loomis, was born in Windsor, Connecticut,



August 12, 1666. He removed from Windsor
to Colchester in 1700, was chosen deacon of the
church in Colchester in 1702. He married, 1688,
Elizabeth, daughter of Daniel White, of Hat-
field. She was born November 13, 1667, and
died February 10, 1736. Deacon Samuel and
Elizabeth (White) Loomis had five children
born in Windsor and five in Colchester, as fol-
lows : 1. Elizabeth, 1688, died 1688. 2. Sam-
uel, February 28, 1689-90, died March 14,
1689-90. 3. Deacon Samuel, July 17, 1691,
married Elizabeth Holmes, December 12, 1717 ;
he was appointed ensign of the military com-
pany of Colchester in 1730, was deacon of the
church and died July 10, 1753, leaving no chil-
dren. 4. Isaac, December 23, 1692, died before
1754. 5. Deacon Jacob, October 25, 1694-95,
marrieef Hannah Taylor. March 22, 1716, was
captain of the Colchester company of militia
from 1743 and deacon in the church; he died
childless, June 2 1 /, 1757. 6. Lieutenant Azariah,
May 2. 1700, married Abigail Newton, Decem-
ber 25, 1723, had four children, all daughters;
was appointed lieutenant in the Colchester
militia in 1743. and died February 20, 1758;
his widow died June 15, 1778. 7. Elizabeth,
November 13, 1702, married Daniel Worth-
ington, January 3, 1720-21. 8. Sarah, March
7, 1705, married Deacon John Day, August
20. 1725. 9. Deacon Caleb (q. v.), September

20. 1707. 10. Daniel, February 20, 1709, mar-
ried Hannah Withrell. October 7, 1731, lived
in Colchester, had seven children ; he married
( second ) Widow Elizabeth Church, October
25, 1738, and she died August 10. 1751, aged
seventy-six, and Deacon Daniel died May 20,

i/54- " . ,

(IV) Deacon Caleb, sixth son and ninth
child of Deacon Samuel and Elizabeth ( White)
Loomis,' was born in Colchester, Connecticut,
September 20, 1707. He was made a freeman
of the town of Colchester in 1739, a member
of the Andover Society in 1747. removed to
Union about 1754, where he died. He mar-
ried, January 27, 1726, Abigail Wright, and
their children were born as follows: 1. Israel,
September 25, 1727, died August 13, 1749. 2.
Irene. August 5, 1728. 3. Abner (q. v.), April

21. 1729. 4. Abigail, July 3, 1732, died Janu-
ary 13, 1751. 5. Phoebe, March 7, 1733, died
( Ictober 13, 1756. 6. Caleb. June 19, 1735, mar-
ried Mary Wyman, January 7, 1758, and lived
in Prookrield, Massachusetts, where he died Jan-
uary 28, 1774. 7. Deborah, March 8, 1738.

( Y ) Abner, son of Caleb and Abigail
( Wright ) Loomis, was born in Colchester,
Connecticut, April 21, 1729. He married Char-



MASSACHUSETTS.



1453



ity Sprague, July 12, 1754. lived in Union,
Connecticut, and had six children all born in
Union as follows: 1. Israel, October 29, 1756,
married, in January, 1786, Hannah, daughter
of Nathaniel and Hannah (White) Loomis,
of Frederick, New York ; he was a lieutenant
in the American revolutionary army and died
in Pomfret, May 11, 1825. and his widow died
in Frederick, New York, November 7, 1847. 2.
Luther, July 26, 1758. 3. Abner (q. v.), June
3, 1759. 4. Phoebe, March 3, 1761, married
"(first) Ichabod Moore and (second) Eleazer
Kinney, May 21, 1849. 5. Abigail, February
7, 1763. 6. Calvin, 1767, married (first)
Eunice Moore, and (second) Mrs. Alice
Whitman : Calvin Loomis died in Middlesex,
New York, August 23, 1840.

(VI) Abner (2), third son of Abner (1)
and Charity (Sprague) Loomis, was born in
Union, Conecticut, June 3, 1759. He married,
August 24, 1783, Zilpah Field, and lived in
Whately, Franklin county, Massachusetts,
where he died April 2, 1813, and his widow
Zilpah died March 22, 1847, aged ninety years.
The children of Abner (2) and Zilpah (Field)
Loomis, were born in Whately, Massachusetts,
as follows: 1. Sarah, August 24, 1784, mar-
ried, in 1804, Elijah Sanderson, and she died
in Whately, Massachusetts, November 27,
1854. 2. Jonathan Colton, October 18, 1785,
married Elieta Stockbridge, November 30,
1810, had nine children and died in Whately,
August 25, 1864. 3. William (q. v.), Septem-
ber 26, 1789. 4. Leonard, July 30, 1797, mar-
ried (first) Philomela Arns, who died July 31,
1825, aged twenty-four years, and (second)
Clarissa Bordwell, and lived in Whately. 5.
Luther, November 20, 1798, died September
30, 1804.

(VII) William, second son and third child
of Abner (2) and Zilpah (Field) Loomis, was
born in Whately, Massachusetts, September
26, 1789. He married (first) February 5, 1812,
Rebecca, daughter of Benjamin and Polly
(Mott) Waite, of Goshen. She was born in
Martha's Vineyard about 1794. where her par-
ents then resided and when she was a mere
child the British landed on the island in quest
of supplies for the army and when they reach-
ed the home of her parents they drove off the
cattle, sheep and swine, but through her child-
ish persuasion they consented to leave one
cow upon which the family depended for milk.
Four children were born to William and Re-
becca (Waite) Loomis, as follows: 1. Luther
(q. v.), born May 12, 1814. 2. Maria, Febru-
ary 12, 1816. married (first) Rufus Buell, and



(second) Nathaniel Marsh, of Westfield. 3.
Jane, June 27, 1818, married (first) George
Samuel Bates, and (second) Job Cowing, of
Haydenville. 4. Zilpah, August 10, 1820, died
young. Rebecca (Waite) Loomis, the mother
of these children, died December 20, 1821,
aged twenty-seven years, and Mr. Loomis mar-
ried (second) Lucinda Thayer, April 10, 1822.
She was born June 22, 1795, and died in 1872.
The children of William and Lucinda (Thayer)
Loomis were: 5. Mary, 1822, died in infancy.
6. Rebecca, May 24, 1824, married William
Cowing and died in Haydenville, October,
1848. 7. Mary, January 27, 1826, married
Ansel Packard ; she died in Haydenville, Feb-
ruary 11, 1847. 8. Charles Leonard, June 27,
1828, married Wealthy Leonard, of Worth-
ington, Massachusetts. 9. Francis, April 6,
1832, married Sarah Hillman and lived in
Haydenville. 10. Elizabeth A., May 24, 1835,
married (first) John Damon, and (second)
Le Roy Huntley, of Florence, Massachusetts.
William Loomis, the father died October 13,
1854. He was a professional builder of bridges,
having learned the carpenter's trade when a
youth and his skill as a bridge architect is to
be seen in the large bridges at Chicopee Falls,
Miller's Falls and West Springfield, Massa-
chusetts. He lived in Whately, Massachusetts,
up to 1822 when he removed to the town of
Hatfield, and when the town was divided he
lived in Williamsburg, where he purchased a
farm of eighty acres, erected new barns and
remodeled the old dwelling house. He left
the supervision of his farm largely to his
eldest son Luther and superintended under
Captain Damon the construction of all the
large bridges constructed or rebuilt on the
larger streams and rivers of the Connecticut
valley, he returning to his family to spend the
Sabbath. His earlier days, before establishing
his skill as a bridge builder, were spent upon
a farm on which he built a shop where he
manufactured wooden bench vises and screws
as used on all farms for rough carpentering
and repairing. His farming was of the primi-
tive style, a single plow stock fitted with an
iron point with a wooden mould board and
drawn by a single horse, all home-made, as he
was equally skilled as a blacksmith and car-
penter. His political views were in harmony
with the Whig party, and he held the office of
member of the school committee for a number
of years.

(VIII) Luther, eldest son of William and
Rebecca (Waite) Loomis, was born in
Whately, Franklin county, Massachusetts, May



1454



MASSACHUSETTS.



12, 1814, and he died in Haydenville where he
moved after marriage, December 12, 1891. He
was educated in the public school of his native
town, attending only during the winter months
and carrying on as best he could his father's
farm in the season of farm work. As he
reached his majority, he established a livery
business, keeping his teams on the farm, which
was a quarter mile east of Haydenville, but
as business increased he removed his stables
to the village in 1846, renting a large barn for the
purpose. He continued in the livery stable busi-
ness all his life, and also engaged in the hotel
business with his son Byron. He also speculated
in lumber, of which he was an excellent judge,
and he bought the standing trees on various
wood lots and prepared the timber for market,
finding for it a ready sale. His cash capital
when he began with this business was $700,
and he owned twelve horses and supplied all
the lumber used by the Haydens, the largest
proprietors of Haydenville. He was enabled
by his thrift and industry to buy the Hayden-
ville Hotel, and pay for it in two years. He
also dealt in cord-wood, which was the by-
product of his wood lots, and while making
money by merchandising the wood he became
a large owner of land. He associated his son
Byron in all his transactions, and to make him
able to meet the demands of modern trade,
in which his own want of education handi-
capped him, he sent him to the Wilbraham
Academy, where he gained a good practical
education. Mr. Loomis was a member of
both the church and choir of the Methodist
Episcopal denomination in Williamsburg, and
when a church was formed at Haydenville he
contributed to its building and to its support,
by purchasing a pew which remains in the
family in perpetuity. Luther Loomis married,
December 29, 1835, Caroline, daughter of Job
and Patience Cowing. She was born in
Chesterfield, April 26, 181 3, died June 28,
1867. The children of Luther and Caroline
(Cowing) Loomis were born as follows: 1.
Byron (q. v.), December 4, 1836. 2. Lucinda
and 3. Lucretia (twins), August 13, 1837;
both died young. 4. Sarah Ann, September
22. 1839, died December 14, 1850; burned to
death in school house. 5. Luther J., Febru-
ary 25. 1842, died June 1, 1862, a soldier in
the civil war and member of the Twenty-
seventh Massachusetts Volunteers. 6. Mary
S., March 9, 1848, died February 8, 1867. 7.
Levi, November 24, 1851. After the death of
the mother of these children, June 28, 1867,
Mr. Loomis married (second) Thankful,



daughter of Reuben Lawrence, who was liv-
ing in 1908, making her home in the
Haydenville House, Haydenville, Massachu-
setts. They had no children. Mr. Loomis
was highly respected by the people of
Hampshire county, and he served the county
as deputy sheriff a number of years,
during the term of High Sheriff Longley. He
was also accustomed to advise the neighbors
on business as well as legal subjects up to time
of his death.

(IX) Byron, eldest child of Luther and
Caroline (Cowing) Loomis, was born on a
farm,. Haydenville, Massachusetts, December
4, 1836. He was educated in the public school
and Wilbraham Academy. In 1855 he became
a partner with his father in his various busi-
ness projects, and he proved himself careful
and thrifty with excellent judgment and good
business tact. He was in partnership with his
father in the hotel business up to the time of
his father's death in 1891, and afterwards
alone. He closed up the hotel business in 1907
to give his entire attention to the care of his
landed estate in Haydenville and Northamp-
ton, including farming land, store property
and the Haydenville House. He was made a
trustee and president of the Haydenville Sav-
ings Bank, and is a public-spirited citizen in
various other lines of investment and progress.
His fraternal affiliations with the Masonic
order includes membership in the Hampshire
Lodge, A. F. and A. M. and Jerusalem Chap-
ter, Royal Arch Masons, Northampton,
Massachusetts. He is liberal in his political
views but not a party man. His religious
views took him in the spiritualist belief and
he was made treasurer of the Lake Pleasant
Camp Meeting of 1908, and he strongly main-
tained the views of the Spiritualists when the
subject was introduced, but he never intruded
his belief, except when drawn out in friendly
conference with inquirers. He married, May
10, 1859, Joanna L., daughter of Samuel D.
and Laura (Fay) Woodburn, and sister of
Mrs. Edwin F. Miller, a sketch of whose life
appears in another part of this work. The
children of Byron and Joanna L. (Woodburn)
Loomis were: 1. Walter Byron, born May
10, i860, died September 13, 1862. 2. Parker
Byron, died in infancy.



The traditions of this very

HERRICK ancient family claims their

descent from Eric Ericke, a

Danish chief who invaded Britain during the

reign of Alfred, and having been vanquished



MASSACHUSETTS.



1455



by that prince, who compelled with his fol-
lowers to repeople the western districts of
East Auglia, the government of which he held
as a fief of the English crown. He is recog-
nized in history as "Ericke, the King of those
Danes who hold the countrie of East Augle."
The Morman invasion found this name repre-
sented by Eric the Forester, who resided in
Leicestershire, and possessed extensive do-
mains along the sources of the Severn, and
on the borders of Wales. He fought the
invaders, was vanquished, then taken into
favor by William, entrusted with important
military commands, and at the end of a stormy
and eventful life, died in peace on his estate in
Leicestershire.

( I ) Robert Eyricke, of Houghton, England,
is the earliest of the name to whom kinship
is confidently traced in a direct line. He lived
in 1450, had a wife Agnes, and children, Robert,
and Thomas next mentioned.

(II) Thomas Eyrick, gentleman, of Hough-
ton, died 1 5 18. He settled in Leicester, and
is the first of the name on the books of the
corporation, where he is recorded as a member
of that body in 151 1. His will dated August
25, 1517, was proved at Leicester, and he was
buried in St. Martin's Church in the same city.
His children were : Nicholas, John and Eliz-
abeth.

(III) John, second son of Thomas Eyrick,
was born in 15 13, died April 2, 1589, at Lei-
cester. In St. Martin's Church is a part thereof
called "Heyrick s Chancel," used as a place of
burial long ago by this family. On the tomb-
stone of John Heyrick, Esq., and Mary Bond
his wife, is found the following epitaph : "Here
lieth the body of John Heyrick, late of this
parish, who departed this life 2d of Aprill,
1589, being about the age of seventy-six. He
did marry Marie, daughter of John Bond of
Wardende, in the Countie of Warwicke,
Esquire, and did live with the said Mary, in
one house, full fifty-two yeares ; and in all that
time, never buried man, woman, or child,
though they were sometimes twenty in house-
hold. He had yssue by said Marie, 5 sonnes
and seven daughters. The said John was
Mayor of this town in anno 1559, and again in
anno 1572. The said Marie departed this life
ye 8th day of December, 161 1, being of the
age of ninety-seven years. She did see before
her departure, of her children, and her chil-
dren's children, and their children to the num-
ber of 142." Their children were : L T rsula,
Agnes, Robert, Mary, Nicholas, Elizabeth,



Helen, Thomas, Christiana, John, William
and Alice.

(IV) Sir William, fifth son of John and
Mary (Bond) Herrick, was born 1557, bap-
tized December 9, 1562, and died March 2,
1653. H e was apprenticed in 1573 or 1574 to
his brother Nicholas, who was a goldsmith in
London ; and on the death of the latter, in
1592, "his real successor in the goldsmith's
business in Cheapside was his younger brother
and former apprentice, William." The trade
of goldsmith was then one of the most lucra-
tive and honorable that an Englishman could
follow. It meant much more than dealing
in jewelry and trinkets. The old Goldsmith's
Guild had the exclusive power of coining
money, and to its members belonged especially
that irregular sort of banking, which, before
it was assigned to a particular class of traders,
was often resorted to by great merchants like
YV'hittington and Gresham. The goldsmiths,
whose ships were generally in Cheapside, were
great money lenders and money changers. They
were something between the pawnbrokers and
bankers of modern times. Among the gold-
smiths of this sort, in the time of Queen Eliz-
abeth. William Herrick came to be the most
eminent. The Queen herself was one of his
best customers, employing Gresham, Ducket,
and others, to conduct her foreign monetary
business, she went to Herrick for the small
loans and minor bargains to which she very
often had a resort. So high was Elizabeth's
opinion of Herrick, that she once sent him as
ambassador to the Sultan of Turkey. And as
a reward for his singular diplomatic success
he was appointed to a lucrative position in
the Exchequor, which he held through the
remainder of this and the following reign of
James. His title was that of principal jeweler
or teller to the crown. On Easter Tuesday,
in 1605, says an envious letter writer of the
time, "one Master William Herrick, a gold-
smith in Cheapside, was knighted for making
a hole in the great diamond the King did wear.
The party little expected the honor ; but he
did his work so well as won the King to an
extraordinary liking of it." In the same year
he again entered parliament as a member for
Leicester. He was also chosen alderman of
Farrington Without, but from this office, as
well as from employment as sheriff of Lon-



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 17 of 145)