William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 18 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 18 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


don, he was afterwards excused on payment of
£300. "in respect," as it was said "that the said
Sir William is the King's sworn servant, and
can not so necessarily afford the daily service



1456



MASSACHUSETTS.



as belioveth." During the next dozen years or
more, Sir William Herrick was in almost daily
service of the court. Great sums of money were
lent by him to the King in formal ways for
public and private uses; and he also lent much
money in the less regular ways of personal
friendships. "Since my being teller," he wrote
in a petition dated 1616, "I have lent his
Majesty divers great sums of money gratis,
which none of my fellows ever did, to my loss
and disadvantage of at least £3,000." He
was a rich man, and found good use for his
riches in charitable works and schemes for
local improvement in Leicester and its neigh-
borhood. In that vicinity, at his fine estate
of Beau Manor Park, he seems to have settled
down, as a retired merchant of great wealth,
in or near the year 1624. There he lived splen-
didly and happily, dealing kindly with his
tenants, and winning their hearts, love and
esteem. He lived in well-employed retirement
for nearly thirty years. He married, 1596,
Joan, daughter of Richard May, Esq., of Lon-
don, and his wife Mary, daughter of a Mr.
Hilderson, of Devonshire, born 1578, died
July 3, 1645. She was famous in her day for
her piety and her beauty. They had twelve
children: William, Robert, Richard, Thomas,
Elizabeth (died young), Henry, Roger, John,
Mary, Martha, Dorothy and Elizabeth.

(V) Henry, son of Sir William and Joan
(May) Herrick, whose name was sometimes
written Henerie Hireck, Hericke or Herrick,
was born at Beau Manor, county of Leicester,
England, in 1604. He was named by com-
mand of the unfortunate Prince Henry, eld-
est son of James I. His sponsors were Sir
David Murray. Sir John Spillman and Lady
Aston. Various circumstances lead to the
belief that this Henry Herrick settled in Salem,
Massachusetts, though there is no positive and
direct proof of it. Upham in his "Salem
Witchcraft" says: "Henry Herrick
who purchased the Cherry Hill farm of Alford
was the fifth son of Sir William Herrick, of
Beau Manor Park, in the parish of Lough-
borough, in the county of Leicester. England.
He came first to Virginia and then to Salem.
He was accompanied to America by another
emigrant from Loughborough, named Cleve-
land. Herrick became a member of the Eirst
Church at Salem in 1629, and his wife Edith
about the same time." Another states: "Henry
Herrick settled on 'Cape-Ann-Side' of Bass
River (now Beverly), on which his farm was
bounded. He purchased several farms at
Birch Plains and Cherry Hill, on which he



settled his sons Zacharie, Ephraim, Joseph and
John." He was a husbandman in easy circum-
stances, but undistinguished by wealth, or by
civil rank or influence in the colony. He was
a very good and honest dissenter from the
established church and the friend of Higgin-
son, who had been a dissenting minister in
Leicester. Mr. Herrick and his wife Editha
were among the thirty who founded the first
church in Salem, in 1639; and on the organiza-
tion of the new parish, on "Ryal-Syde," 1667,
they, with their sons and their sons' wives,
were among the founders of the first church
in Beverly, also. But there are reasons to
suspect that neither Henry nor his sons were
at all times, and in all things quite as submis-
sive to the spiritual powers of their day as
they should have been. On the records of
Essex county is an entry like this: "Henerie
Hericke and Edith, his wife, are fined 10S.
and 1 1 s. for costs of Coort for aiding and
comforting an excommunicated person, con-
trary to order." He married Editha, daughter
of Hugh Larkin, of Salem, who was born 1614,
and was living 1674, and they are said to have
had twelve sons and several daughters. Seven
sons and a daughter survived their father and
are named in his will. They were : Thomas,
Zacharie, Ephraim, Henry, Joseph, Elizabeth,
John and Benjamin.

(VI) Henry (2), fourth son of Henry and
Editha (Larkin) Herrick, was baptized Janu-
ary 16, 1640, died in June, 1702. He inherited
the Homesteading, at lower Beverly, a pleas-
ant and valuable farm a part of which remain-
ed in the ownership and possession of the
family until about 1S50. He served as a juror
at the witchcraft trials in Salem, in 1602. His
first wife's maiden name is thought to have
been Lydia Woodbury. By her he had five
children : Lydia, Joseph. Elizabeth, Samuel
and Jonathan. He married (second) 1690,
Sarah, widow of John ( liddings, of Gloucester,
who died in 171 1.

(VII) Jonathan, youngest child of Henry
(2) and Lydia (Woodbury) Herrick. was
baptized in 1672, died in 1724. He resided in
Beverly whence he removed to Concord, where
he had considerable property, in mills &c. He
married (first) October 28, 1696, Elizabeth
Dodge, born in 1672. died March 13, 17 12,
daughter of William Dodge. Their children
were: Elizabeth, William. Hannah, Rebecca,
Jonathan and Lydia. He married (second)
September 13, 1713. Bethia Conant, of Bev-
erly, by whom he had : Israel, a son, Mary,
Lucy, and Joseph, next mentioned.





^ -7sl^<^</



MASSACHUSETTS.



1457



( YIII) Joseph, youngest child of Jonathan
and Bethia (Conant) Herrick, was born in
1720, died March 16, 1795. He was born in
Concord, Massachusetts, bought a farm in
Groton, in 1744, and sold to Josiah Conant in
1746. He then lived in Townsend, Vermont,
and finally settled in Brattleborough, in that
state. He married, in 1742, Lois Cutler, of
Chelmsford, Massachusetts, who died August
5, 1812, aged ninety-two. Their children were :
Jonathan, Joseph, Shadrach, Lois, Amos,
Abner, Bethiah and Alary.

(IX) Jonathan (2). eldest child of Joseph
and Lois (Cutler) Herrick, was born Septem-
ber 26, 1743. died October 1828, in Brattle-
borough, Vermont. He married, 1770, Mehit-
able French, born March 16, 175 1 , died March
29, 1836. They had twelve children, as fol-
lows : Jonathan, Lydia. Mehitable, Elizabeth,
John, Edith, Nathaniel, Joseph, Seth, Eliza-
beth Lucinda and Asa.

(X) Nathaniel, son of Jonathan (2) and
Mehitable (French) Herrick, was born in
Brattleborough, March 7, 1782, died October



1 85 J



He was a farmer and resided at



Dummerston, in Windham county. He mar-
ried (first) 1806, Lydia Eastman, born March
27, 1784, died February 19, 1825. Their chil-
dren were : Esther, Harriet. Nancy, James
and John. He married (second) January,
1826, Widow Anna Tenney, by whom he
ha<l : Jonathan Tenney. Lydia Eastman and
Nathaniel.

( XI ) Rev. James, son of Nathaniel and
Lydia ( Eastman ) Herrick, was born in
Broome, Province of Quebec, where his par-
ents were temporarily residing, March 19,
1814, died in Brattleborough, Vermont, Decem-
ber 1. 1891, after an attack of heart disease
lasting but a short time. Early in his life the
family returned to the West Village in Brattle-
borough, and there he received the beginning
of his education. His later childhood he spent
in New fane and West Dummerston. Deter-
mining on a more complete education he im-
proved his opportunity as a youth to study at
Brattleborough Academy. It was necessary
for him to teach a district school in the winter
that he might pay his way in preparation for
college, and some of the time he boarded two
miles away, but that was not an insuperable
hardship for one of his vigor and stalwart
purpose. One who knew him well, Rev. Mr.
Grout, wrote of him : "He was eminently
diligent, faithful, successful in all his studies,
and was noted for his regular punctual attend-
ance, upon every recitation and other engage-



ment or duty." While he was in his academy
course he first united with the Congregational
church, on confession of his faith, being then
twenty years of age. After the completion of
his preparatory course he entered Williams
College in 1837 and graduated in 1841. He
taught school a year in Brattleborough, after
which he entered Andover Theological Semi-
nary, from which he graduated in 1845. In
this course he steadily looked forward to
foreign mission work, to which he had given
himself body and soul. He was ordained as
a missionary, October 8, 1845, and November
12, 1S45, accompanied by his young wife, he
set sail for the far-off land of India, the land
that was to be the scene of his great life work.
He went to Madura, South India, where he
entered earnestly into his work, being sup-
ported by the American Board Commissioners
of Foreign Missions. In 1864. after sixteen
years service there, he returned to this country
with his family and remained three years. He
then returned with his wife and two sons and
resided in India till 1883. Then on account
of impaired health he left the scene of his
labors, where thirty-seven years before his
missionary work began, and spent his last
years at Brattleborough. His heart was con-
secrated to his task as a missionary and he
loved the poor people to whom he had given
his best years, and he was often heard to say
that he would gladly go back to that land and
die. Mr. Herrick's devotion to the cause of
foreign missions was ever sturdy, warm and
strong, and did not abate when failing health
compelled him to leave the field. His eminent
natural fitness for such a work was seen in
part, in his naturally strong constitution, and
general good health. But for these, the heavy
strain of mission work in such a field as that
of India, would have made his days few and
feeble instead of active and useful, as he was
until his death. The last Sabbath of his life
was an illustration of his constant purpose.
He then performed his religious duties in
their order as far as his strength would allow.
He attended the morning church service ; then
the Sabbath school : then the Young People's
meeting ; and there he had to stop, not because
he wanted to, but because he must. His Sab-
bath duties were only a portion of his work.
He did much that was pastoral through the
week ; visiting the aged, the sick, the deserted,
the desolate and afflicted. He corresponded
much with christian workers and those whom
he could comfort and cheer. He let his light
shine among his neighbors and in society, and



M58



MASSACHUSETTS.



be \va<; able in advancing the cause of Christ
on earth. He would counsel for the welfare
of the church and community, giving his views
with clearness and cogency, yet with care-
fulness, lest he should offend and spoil the
work. "One would search far to find a better
illustration among men of what it is to follow
the Lonl with singleness of heart in all Chris-
tian life." The distinguishing features of his
character were christian faith, love, sincerity
and fidelity- At the last commencement of
Williams College previous to his death he had
the great joy of meeting there some of the few
remaining classmates on the fiftieth anni-
versary of their graduation. He was fond of
music, a fine singer, often led the choir, and
was always ready to give himself body and
soul, spirit and understanding also, to the ser-
vice of song, whenever duty or privilege open-
ed the way.

James Herrick married, November 2, 1845,
Elizabeth Hopkins Crosby, of West Brattle-
borough. She was born January 27, 181 7.,
died September 23, 1900. Her parents were
Thomas and Katherine (Burt) Crosby. The
children of this marriage were: A daughter,
Mary Elizabeth. Catherine Harriet, de-
ceased ; James Frederick. Catherine Lydia,
William Henry. Emily Jane, Joseph T.,
Ellen Maria and David Scudder. All were
born in India. Four died in India and
were buried there. Of the six who sur-
vived their father, James Frederick, born
lime 14. 1 85 1. graduated from Williams
College, 1875, was for several years on the
staff of the Springfield Republican, and was
later connected with the New York World.
The second son, William H.. born January 24,
1855, is a frontier missionary and is stationed
in L"tah. Joseph T. is mentioned at length
below. The youngest son, David Scudder,
born March 29, 1863, graduated at Williams
College in 1884, and taught in India several
years. Subsequently lie fitted for missionary
work in Union Theological Seminary. Mary
Elizabeth, born October 2, 1847, married John
H. Dunklee and resides in the West Village,
and with her resided her parents in their old
age, the constant objects of her care and over-
sight. Emily Jane, born June 16, 1857. married
Rev. George E. Martin, now of Lowell, Mass-
achusetts.

(XII) Dr. Joseph Thomas, son of Rev.
James and Elizabeth H. (Crosby) Herrick,
"was born in the city of Maruda, South India,
August 17. 1859. He resided with his parents
until they visited their home in New England



in 1864, when he accompanied them, making
the voyage from Madras to London on the
sailing packet "Renown," one of the Green
line of ships. This vessel had as passengers a
regiment of English soldiers returning from
service in India. It made the voyage around
the Cape of Good Hope, as all ships were
then compelled to do, and took three months
to complete it. After staying two years at
Brattleborough. Vermont, he returned with his
parents to India, making the passage from
London to Madras on the ship "Isabella."
After his return he remained six years in India,
where his primary instruction was given him
by his mother. In 1872 he returned to Amer-
ica with Rev. William B. Capron, on the steam-
ship "Viceroy," of the Green line, passing
through the Suez Canal, which had recently
been completed. In each instance the voyage
from Liverpool, England, to New York was
made on one of the steamers of the Cunard
line. On arriving in America he went to
Newton, Massachusetts, where he resided at
the Missionary Home, and attended the com-
mon schools till he was sixteen years of age.
He then entered the St. Johnsbury Academy
at St. Johnsbury, Vermont, from which he
graduated in 1880. He then entered the med-
ical department of the University of the City
of New York where he took the degree of
Doctor of Medicine in 1883. The succeeding
year and a half he was resident physician and
surgeon in the almshouse and work house at
Blackw'ell's Island, where he had the benefits
of a busy practice and a widely extended ex-
perience which greatly added to his knowledge
of medicine and surgery and fitted him for his
private practice. In 1885 Dr. Herrick settled in
Springfield, Massachusetts, and began practice
which he carried on successfully until 1897,
when he gave it up in order to take care of the
large property interests of which he has the man-
agement. For some time he was assistant sur-
geon of the Second Regiment, Massachusetts
State Militia, and also visiting physician of the
Springfield Hospital. He is a member of the
Hampden District Medical Society, the Spring-
field Medical Club, the Massachusetts Medical
Societv. and the American Medical Society.
Although domestic in his tastes and habits, he
maintains membership in the Nyasset Club, the
Winthrop Club, the Country Club, the Hyan-
nisport Country Club, the Automobile Club of
Springfield, and the St. Bernard Fishing Club
of Quebec. In politics he is a Republican. He
is a member of Hope Congregational Church,
member of its parish committee and chairman




WmMzk



*




v-



L 'A



^



MASSACHUSETTS.



1459



of its music committee. In 1905, accompanied
by his wife and son. he visited the British Isles
and made a quite thorough trip through the
four kingdoms. He has also visited the Paci-
fic slope, the southern states and parts of Can-
ada, and in the year 1907-08 traveled twenty
thousand miles by automobile. September 8,
1886, Dr. Joseph T. Herrick married Mary
Florence Fairbanks, (see Fairbanks VIII)
who was born July 26, 1859. daughter of Col-
onel Franklin and Frances A. (Clapp) Fair-
banks, of St. Johnsbury, Vermont. She was
educated in the public schools and at Miss
Porter's school of Farmington, Connecticut.
They have one son, Paul Fairbanks, born July
19. 1887, who graduated from Monson Acad-
emy in 1908, and is now a member of the class
of 1912, Trinity College.

(The Fairbanks Line).

Nearly all persons in the United States bear-
ing the name of Fairbanks or Fairbank, except
by marriage, are related by direct descent from
Jonathan, the first, while there are many ^vho
take a justifiable pride in tracing their lineage
back to mothers born to the inheritance. The
immigrant often wrote his name Fairbanke,
and occasionally ffayerbanke. In his will and
the inventory of his property there appears
the variations ffarbanke, ffarebanks, Fair-
bancke. Among the members of this ancient
family are many who have distinguished them-
selves in the professions, in business and in
politics, and one has filled the office of vice-
president of the United States ; another has
been governor of a state, and many have been
notable in the arts and industries ; among the
latter those of the later generations of the
present line.

(I) Jonathan Fairbanks came from Sow-
erby in the West Riding of Yorkshire, Eng-
land, to Boston, Massachusetts, in the year
1633, and in 1636 settled in Dedham, where
he first built the noted "Old Fairbanks House,"
which is still standing as an ancient landmark,
the oldest dwelling in New England which for
the same period of time has been continuously
owned and occupied by the builder and his
lineal descendants. He was one of the earliest
settlers of Dedham, which was established
1636, and signed the covenant, March 23, 1637.
Before 1637 Jonathan Fairbanks had been
granted at least one of the twelve-acre lots into
which the first allotment was divided, with
four acres of swamp land, for the same year
he received as his proportion of a further allot-
ment four acres of "Swamp" land, this addi-



tional grant being made on account of the
swampy condition of a portion of the first
grant. In 1638 he was appointed with others
"to measure out those polls of meadow which
adjoin to men's lots, and to mete out so much
meadow in several parcels as is allotted unto
every man according to the grant made unto
them." In 1638 he was allowed six acres more,
which was later exchanged for other land ;
and at other times following he received vari-
ous small grants. He was admitted townsman
and signed the covenant in 1654. He died in
Dedham, December 5, 1668. His wife's name
was Grace Lee. She died "28th 10 Mo. 1673."
Their children were all born in England, as
follows: John, George, Mary, Susan, Jonas
and Jonathan.

(II) Captain George, second son of Jona-
than and Grace (Lee) Fairbanks, came with
his parents from England. He resided in
Dedham until about 1657, when he removed
to the southern part of Sherborn (afterward
Medway and now Mills), where he was the
first settler. In 1648 he owned some land and
a dwelling house in Dedham. In that year he
received a grant of a small parcel of land "as
it lye against the side of his own yard for an
enlargement and to set a Barne upon it." In
Medfield, afterward Medway, he established a
homestead which remained in the family name
for several generations. His dwelling was the
famous stone house near the northern border
of Bogestow pond in the eastern part of the
town, which is now included within the limits
of the town of Mills, incorporated in 1885.
This house was originally a garrison house,
built by the residents of Bogestow farms unit-
edly as a place of refuge and defence, to which
they could flee in times of danger from the
attacks of hostile Indians. It was sixty-five or
seventy feet long, and two stories high. The
walls were built of flat stones laid in clay mor-
tar. It had a double row of port holes on the
sides, and was lined with heavy oak plank.
The stones have all been carried away, and the
spot where the building stood is unmarked.
In 1(162 George, with thirteen of his neighbors,
signed the first petition for the incorporation
of Sherborn. Again in 1674 he and twelve
others signed a second petition which was suc-
cessful, and by an act of the general court the
petitioners and twenty more of such as they
might consent to receive as inhabitants, were
constituted proprietors of lands now compris-
ing Sherborn, Holliston, and large districts of
Framingham and Ashland. After the forma-
tion of the town he seems to have been an



1460



MASSACHUSETTS.



active citizen, engaged in public affairs. For
four years he was selectman, and was chosen
on a committee to engage and settle a minister.
He was also a member of the Ancient and
Honorable Artillery Company. He was
drowned January 10, 1682. He was a man of
sterling character, and a model pioneer. His
descendants are found in almost every state
of the Union, and in Canada and Nova Scotia.
George Fairbanks married, "the 26 of the 8
mo.. 1646," Mary Adams, of Dedham, who
died August 11, 1711, in Mendon, Massachu-
setts, probably at the home of her son-in-law,
William Ilolbrook. The children of George
and Mary were: Mary, George, Samuel,
Eliesur, Jonas, Jonathan and Margaret.

(III) Eliesur, third son of Captain George
and Mary ( Adams ) Fairbanks, was born "the
8 of the 4 mo., 1665," and lived in Sherborn.
In 1679 he drew a home lot of eighteen acres
on the main street in Sherborn, adjoining
Peter's Hill. Fie was selectman in 1703. The
baptismal name of his wife was Martha. There
is no record of the death of either of them.
Their children were : Mary, Martha. Eydia,
Margaret, Mercy, and Eliesur. next mentioned.

(IV) Captain Eliesur (2), only son and
youngest child of Eliesur and Martha Fair-
banks, was born in Sherborn, December 29,
1690. He resided in that town till his death
September 19. 1 741 . He married Martha,
daughter of Captain Samuel Bullard, Decem-
ber 25, 1712. She married (second) John
Phips, December 22, 1743, and removed to
Brookfield. The children of Captain Eliesur
and Martha were: Eliesur, Joseph, Deborah,
Moses, Sarah, Martha, Abel, Abigail (died
young), David, Abigail, Ebenezer and Mary.

(V) Deacon Ebenezer, sixth son of Captain
Eliesur (2) and Martha (Bullard) Fairbanks,
was born in Sherborn, June 1, 1734, died June
6, 1812. He was a lieutenant in Captain Henry
Leland's company of minute-men which re-
sponded to the Lexington alarm, April 19,
1775. He served eleven days at that time and
afterward served a short time as a private in
the revolutionary war. He removed to Brim-
field in 1783, and settled on a farm in the
northeast part of the town. He was a man of
repute and influence in the town, and a dea-
con of the church. He married, July 2, 1761,
Elizabeth Dearth, born September 24. 1743,
died in Monson, June 15, 1818. Their chil-
dren were: Asa, Joseph, Betsey, Ebenezer,
Henry, Thaddeus. Elizabeth and Levi.

(VI) Joseph, second son of Deacon Ebe-
nezer and Elizabeth (Dearth) Fairbanks, was



born in Sherborn, November 1, 1763, died
suddenly September 27, 1846. When he was
about twenty-one years old his father removed
to Brimfield, Massachusetts, and after assist-
ing him a time Joseph bought a farm there
and settled down. Like the other members
of his family he was naturally a mechanic and
found profitable employment in building. In
181 5 he decided to remove to Vermont where
his brother-in-law, Judge Paddock, and his
son Erastus were already settled. With $1800
received from the sale of his farm and the
avails of his furniture and stock he had enough
to buy a small water-power and timber with
which he and his son built a dam, a saw mill, a
grist mill, and a wagon shop. 1816 was the
"year without a summer." and the family
endured the hardships of pioneer life, together
with the special discomfort of snow storms and
frosts every month of that year. He was a
manly man of the best New England type,
much respected, and of great influence and
ability, and with the aid of his sons he pros-
pered remarkably. He married, October 21,
1790, Phebe Paddock, born September 6, 1760,
died May 5, 1853, daughter of James and Ann
Paddock, of Holland, Massachusetts. The
Paddock family gave many honored citizens
to Vermont, and the sons of Joseph Fairbanks
owned their strength of character as much to
their mother as to their father. These sons
were: Erastus, Thaddeus and Joseph Pad-
dock.

(VII) Governor Erastus, eldest child of
Joseph and Phebe ( Paddock ) Fairbanks, was
born in Brimfield, Massachusetts, October 28,
1792, in the little red house near the Stur-
bridge line, and died in St. Johnsbury, Ver-
mont, November 20, 1864. Lorenzo S. Fair-
banks in his "Genealogy of the Fairbanks
Family," thus speaks of him: "He came to



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 18 of 145)