William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 30 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 30 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


2. Ruth Townsend, Springfield, Massachusetts,
March 1, 1901. 3. Theodore Frelinghuysen.
Springfield, Massachusetts, July 18, 1904.

The surname Dyer is taken from
DYER the trade-name, Teinturer, its

French equivalent, also used as a
surname. The famous Italian. Timtoretta, was
so-called from the fact that his father was a
tintore or dyer. The coat-of-arms of the Dyer
family of Tottenham, county Middlesex, Eng-
land, is: Or a chief indented gules. Crest:
Out of a coronet a goat's head sable armed
gold. The family was prominent also in county
Hertford.

( I ) Deacon Thomas Dyer, immigrant ances-
tor, was born in England. The record of the
Dyer family is to be found as early as 1436.
Thomas Dyer came from England in 1632 and
settled soon afterward in Weymouth, Massa-
chusetts. He was admitted a freeman there
May 29, 1644. He was a cloth worker by
trade. He was also an inn keeper in Wey-
mouth and was one of the leading citizens of
his day. He was deputy to the general court
in 1646 and four years afterward. He was
deacon of the Weymouth church, and held
various town offices. He died November 3.
1676. His will was dated November 3, 1676,
and proved November 13, 1676. He bequeathed
to his wife fifty pounds and the estate of her
former husband at Medfield. He bequeathed
to his children mentioned below, to his grand-
children, to his pastor, Mr. Samuel Torrey,
and the Weymouth church. His estate was
valued at two thousand one hundred and three
pounds. The widow Elizabeth in her will,
dated November 20, 1678, proved January 31,
1678-79, bequeathed to her sons, Abraham and
John Harding, daughter Elizabeth Adams,
daughter Prudence, son Joseph Dyer and three,
grandchildren. Thomas Dyer married (first)
Agnes Reed, who died December 4, 1667. He
married (second) Elizabeth (Adams) (Hard-
ing) Frary, widow successively of Abraham
Harding and of John Frary Jr. She died
1678-79. Children, all by first wife, born at
Weymouth: 1. Mary, July 6, 1641, married
Samuel White. 2. John, July 10, 1643. 3-
Thomas, 1645, died young. 4. Abigail, 1647,
died March 13, 1717-18; married Jacob Nash.

5. Sarah, 1649, married John Ruggles. 6.
Thomas, May 5. 1651. 7. Joseph, November

6, 1653 (twin), mentioned below. 8. Benja-
min (twin), November 6, 1653. 9. William,
about 1658, married Joanna Chard. 10. Elinor,
about 1660.



] T I 6



MASSACHUSETTS.



(II) Joseph, son of Deacon Thomas Dyer.
was born at Weymouth, November 6, 1653.
He married Hannah Frary. Children, born
at Weymouth: 1. Hannah, October 10, 1682,
died aged two months. 2. Hannah, February

13, 1683. 3. Joseph, June 19. 1686, mentioned
below. 4. Benjamin, April 13, 1688. 5. Alary,
April 12, 1690, died October 6, 1691. 6. John.
April 9, \(*)2. 7. Thomas, April 15, 1694.
8. Mary, died October 24, 1697. 9. Mehitable
June 1. 1700. 10. Sarah. August 29. 1702.

(III) Joseph 12). son of Joseph ( I ) Dyer,
was born at Weymouth, June 19, 1686. He
married there (intention dated) April 16, 1726,
Jane Stephens, who died December 6, 1806,
aged ninety-nine years. Children, born at
Weymouth: 1. Sarah. March 20, 1727. 2.
Jane. May 2, 1729. 3. Joseph, September 17,
1 73 1. mentioned below. 4. Mary. 5. Hannah.
January 8. 1734, died January 9, 1734. 6.
Benjamin. February 9. 1735. 7. Joanna, July
2, 1737. 8. Asa. July 26, 1739. 9. Stevens.
October 20, 1741. 10. Mary, March 13, 174+
11. James, June 14, 1746.

(IV) Joseph (3), son of Joseph (2) Dyer.
was born at Weymouth, September 17, 1731,
died there September 15, 1807. He was a
soldier in the revolution, a private in Captain
Samuel Ward's company. Colonel Solomon
Lovell's regiment, in 1776. He probably had
other service, the record of which is difficult to
identify. He married ( intention dated Decem-
ber 24, 1754) January 8, 1755, Hannah Bates.
of Weymouth. Children, born at Weymouth:
1. Hannah, January 9, 1756. 2. Betty, August
''■ l 7S7- 3- Benjamin. January 29, 1759, died
at sea November, 1794. aged thirty-three years.
5. Samuel. April 14, 1766. 6. John, April 23,
1768. mentioned below.

1 V ) John, son of Joseph ( 3 I Dyer, was
born in Weymouth, April jt,. 1768, died at
South Weymouth in 1848. He married there
December 25, 1794, Polly Holbrook, daughter
of Nathaniel and Hannah Holbrook. She died
at Weymouth. June 1. 1 851, aged seventy-four
years, four months, eighteen days. He was a
manufacturer of boots and shoes and had one
of the most extensive and successful shoe
factories of his day. He was also a manufac-
turer and currier of leather. He became a
man of large wealth and influence, highly
respected and honored in the community. Chil-
dren, born in Weymouth: 1. Joseph, January
30, 1796. mentioned below. 2. Clarissa, March

14. 1797. married Stephen Burrill. 3. Peter,
died young, January 28, 1800. 4. John, Jan-
uary 17, 1801, married, October 4, 1826, Nancy



Richards. 5. Mary, January 19, 1802, married
Perez Yining. 6. Benjamin, January 25, 1803,
married, August 30, 1828, Bianca J. Penniman,
of Hingham. 7. Hannah Ward, August 3 :
1804. married Ouincy Loud. 8. Betsey Will-
iams, April 18, 1806. 9. Luther (twin),
December 2j, 1808, married, September 18,
1831, Ruth W. Holbrook. 10. Calvin (twin).
December 2~. 1808. 11. Calvin, February 29.
1812. 12. Sophronia. February 14, 1817, mar-
ried, December 24, 1839, Samuel Torrey Jr.

(VI) Joseph (4), son of John Dyer, was
born at Weymouth, January 30, 1796, died at
South Weymouth, February 15, 1861. He
was a farmer and teamster. He married, Jan-
uary 1, 1823, at Weymouth. Betsey White,
born 1799 at South Weymouth and died there
in 1 85 1. Children, born at South Weymouth:
1. Son, died in infancy. 2. Joseph, mentioned
below.

( YII ) Joseph (5), son of Joseph (4) Dyer.
was born in South Weymouth in 1830. He
was educated in the public schools of his native
town and learned the trade of shoemaker, at
which he worked for various employers until
1866. when he established himself in the retail
grocery business in Weymouth. He built up
a large and prosperous business from a small
beginning and for many years has been the
leading grocer of this section. In politics he
is a Republican and for six years was assistant
postmaster of the town. He is prominent in
town affairs and has held various positions
of trust and honor, among them town auditor
which he still holds. He represented his dis-
trict in the general court in 1873 and served on
important committees. He has been president
of the South Weymouth Savings Bank since
1891. He is an attendant of the South Con-
gregational Church. He is a member of no
secret societies. He married, 1858, Caroline
Blackington, born 1833 at Thomaston, Maine,
died 1883 at South Weymouth. He married
(second) September, 1889, Florence Dean,
born at Braintree, daughter of Samuel and
Ruth Dean. Mr. Dyer has no children.



Among the earliest emi-
STILLMAN grants to New England on

the Restoration of the
Stuarts were a family bearing the name
assigned to this article, who having become
involved with the Regicides, went into the
most obscure and remote parts of the colonies,
settling for a time at Hadley, Massachusetts.
One of these, George by name, hearing of the
strange new doctrine of the Seventh-day Bap-



w :



ifSl £S&





// //if.j ■ '//f/UU/J/



MASSACHUSETTS.



i5 J 7



tist, denying the sanctity of the Lord's day,
being of an ardently religious turn himself,
came to Newport, Rhode Island, to convince
his erring brethren ; but instead he became con-
verted himself. The Seventh-day Baptist
creed has always been peculiar to the Stillmans.
handed down from father to son, and it was
they who founded the town of Alfred, New
York, the educational and religious center of
the sect. Another trait common to the family
has been ingenuity in mechanical invention
which has cropped out in several generations.
George Stillman, above spoken of, was born at
Steeple Aspen, Wiltshire, England, in 1654
and died at Wethersfield, Connecticut, in 1728.
He was a merchant of enterprise and wealth of
Hadley, Massachusetts, a member of the gen-
eral court in 1698, and removed to Wethers-
field in 1704. He married Rebecca, daughter
of Lieutenant Philip Smith. She died Octo-
ber 7, 1750. Children: George, Rebecca,
Mary, Nathaniel, John, Sarah, Martha, Ann,
Elizabeth, Hannah, Lydia, Benjamin.

( I ) Esaias Stillman was born in Providence,
Rhode Island, and died in Warren, Massachu-
setts, in 1825. He removed to Petersburg,
New York, and was a goldsmith, and later a
machinist, serving in the war of 1812. He
married Betsey Watson, daughter of James
Blair, of Warren. Children : James Blair,
Olive, Mary, Arminda, Elizabeth and Amos.

(II) James Blair, eldest son of Esaias and
Betsey W. (Blair) Stillman. was born in
Petersburgh, in 1808, died in Springfield.
Massachusetts, in October, 1898. He went to
Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in early manhood,
and learned the carpenter's trade. In 1835 he
came to Springfield and entered the United
States armory, remaining in the government
employ for fifty-six years, enough of itself to
confirm our statement that he was a faithful
and efficient artisan. Upon his resignation
from the armory the following general order
was issued :

"National Armory,

Springfield, Mass.,
July 15th, 1891.
Post Orders, Series of

No. 27. 1891.

Mr. James Stillman formally resigned June
30th last, but was desired, during the suspen-
sion of work, to reconsider it. Persisting,
however, in his desire to cease work, there
thus closes an exceptionally long, faithful and
honorable career at this Armory.

Mr. Stillman's name appears for the first
time among Armory employes on the rolls of



October, 1835; and since November, 1841,
excepting for a few weeks' time, he has been
a foreman, thus being an employe nearly 56
years. In all this time, this faithful and con-
scientious workman has not only given the
time, for which he has received payment, but
his brains, to the service of the Government,
he having improved upon the old Blanchard
^tock-turning machine, and extended the prin-
ciples of it into machines for bedding groov-
ing and milling gun stocks, now used at the
Armory.

By order of Colonel A. R. BUFFINGTON,
Fremont P. Peck,

Lieutenant Ordance Department,

Post Adjutant."

Air. Stillman also invented the Springfield-
Stillman gun. It was fired by a lock set in a
prolongation of the tang of the breech-screw.
The firing pin-screw is replaced by a stop-pin,
kept in place by the breech block cap. The
calibre is .50 and weight two pounds and five
ounces. He also invented a hammerless breech-
loading gun, which was sold to the Whitney
gun works of New Haven. It consists of the
combination of a solid recoil block which turns
back exposing the rear end of the bore for the
insertion of the cartridge with a separate lock-
ing piece or brace, having- its bearing con-
tracted as described and swinging on a sep-
arate center from any other part of the gun,
these parts being combined with and operated
by the springs and thumb pieces and in the
manner and for the purpose herein set forth.
Arranging the brace so as to half cock the gun
by means of its thumb pieces, and with the
same motion which allows the breech piece to
swing back and expose the rear end of the
bore, substantially as described. He was a
Congregationalist and a Republican. He was
a quiet man withal companionable, fond of a
joke and a good story. He married Julia Ann,
daughter of Wanton and Sarah (Starkweather)
Carr, of Chesterfield, Massachusetts. She was
born in 1816 and died in 1853 in Springfield.
They were the parents of Clarissa Elizabeth
(unmarried), Eugenia Louise, married Charles
A. Call, of Springfield, and Eugene (died
young). Mr. Stillman married (second) in
1857, Maria S. Brown, who died in 1871, aged
fifty-four. No issue.



The name of Reed is found not
REED only in England where it has been

common from the time surnames
came into use and as a clan name before that
time, but in Ireland, Scotland and various



i 5 iS



MASSACHUSETTS.



countries on- the continent of Europe. The
name at present is spelled generally in three
ways — Reed, Reid and Reade. The genealogy
of the Read family of Kent, England, dates
back to 1 1 39 to Brianus de Rede, of Morpeth
on the Wensback river in the north of Eng-
land.

( I ) Thomas Reed, progenitor, according to
the genealogy, was living in Berkshire, Eng-
land, in 1575, at Barton Court. He married
Ann, the daughter of Thomas Hoo, of the
Hoo, county Hertford.

(II) Thomas (2) Reed or Read, son of
Thomas ( 1 ) Reed, also lived at Barton. He
married Mary Stonehouse, of Little Peckham.
county Kent, and lived at Redley. He was
clerk of the Green Cloth.

(III) Thomas (3), son of Thomas (2)
Reed, was knighted. He married Mary,
daughter of Sir John Brocket, of Brocket Hall
in Herefordshire. Children : Thomas, John,
James. All three were baronets. Also two
daughters.

(IV) Thomas (4), son of Thomas (3)
Reed, married Mary, daughter of Thomas
Cornwall, Lord of Strophshire. Children:
Compton, Edward, and three sons believed to
be Thomas. William and John, who came to
America. Edward and Compton had families
in England and their descendants have been
distinguished.

( V ) William, supposed to be son of Thomas
(4) and Mary Reed, of Brocket Hall, Hert-
fordshire, was born in England in 1587 and
was the oldest of the immigrants of this sur-
name. He sailed from London in the ship
"Defence" July 4, 1635, Captain Edward Fos-
tick, and arrived in Huston October 6, same
year, with his wife, who was Mabel Kendall,
born 1605. They had with them children :
George, born 1629, Ralph, 1630, and Justice
(afterward called Abigail), 1633. Reed set-
tled first at Dorchester, Massachusetts. He
was admitted a freeman March 4, 1638. In
August, 1639, he sold his real estate in Dor-
chester to Thomas Clark, and removed to
Scituate where he was constable in 1644. His
wife made the journey to Dorchester on horse-
back in 1(144 to have her infant son Israel bap-
tized. William Reed removed to Muddy River
(Brookline), having bought of Esdras Reed,
said to have been his brother, a farm granted
by the town of Boston, and he lived there until
1648. He then bought a farm in Woburn of
Nicholas David and removed thither. He is
the ancestor of the Woburn, Lexington, Bed-
ford and Burlington Reads, and of most of



the Reeds in Maine. He returned to England
finally and died at Newcastle-on-Tyne in 1656.
A letter of administration was taken out by
his widow under Oliver Cromwell. She
returned to America and after administrating
the estate, married, November 21, 1660, Henry
Summers, of Woburn. She survived her sec-
ond husband and lived with her son George at
the time of her death, June 5, 1690, in her
eighty-sixth year. Children: 1. George, born
1629, mentioned below. 2. Ralph, 1630, mar-
ried Mary Pierce, daughter of Anthony Pierce,
of Watertown. 3. Abigail, 1633, married
Francis Wyman. 4. Bethia, born in Amer-
ica, married John Johnson. 5. Israel, 1642,
married Mary Kendall, daughter of Francis.

6. Sarah, married, September 10, 1662, Samuel
Walker. 7. Rebecca, married Joseph Winn.

('VI) George, son of William Reed, was
born in England in 1629. He bought a farm
in Woburn of Rebecca Terrace, November 7,
1651, and settled there. This farm was lately
owned by Nathan Blanchard and is now
within the limits of Burlington. He became a
large landholder and wealthy, giving farms to
his sons in what is now Woburn, Burlington
and Lexington. He was for many years
deacon of the church in Woburn. He died
February 21, 1706, in his seventy-eighth year.
He married (first) August 4, 1651, Elizabeth
Jennison, daughter of Robert Jennison, of
Watertown. She died February 26, 1665, and
he married ( second ) November 9, 1665,
Hannah Rockwell, of Charlestown. Children,
all by first wife: 1. Elizabeth, born July 29,
[653, married, December 15, 1675, David
Fiske, of Watertown. 2. Twins, November

14, 1654, died unnamed. 3. Samuel, April
29, 1656, married, April 19, 1679, Elizabeth
Munsal. 4. Abigail, June 27, 1658, married,
September 18, 1694, Nathaniel Richardson.
5. George, September 14, 1660, married,
February 18, 1684, Abigail Pierce. 6. Will-
iam, September 22, 1662, mentioned below.

7. Sarah, February 12, 1665. 8. Hannah,
February 12, 1669. 9. John, March 18, 1671,
married, June 10, 1697, Ruth Johnson. 10.
Mary, June 15. 1674. married, 1697, Matthew
Johnson. 11. Timothy, October 20, 1678,
married Persis Kendall. 12. Thomas, July

15, 1682, married, February 1, 1704, Sarah
Sawyer.

( YII) Captain William (2), son of George
Reed, was born September 22, 1662, died May
12, 1718. He was a large land owner in
Cambridge Farms. Woburn and Billerica.
He settled in Cambridge Farms, now Lexing-



MASSACHUSETTS.



1519



ton. He held a justice's commission, and was
captain of the militia. He was one of the
first board of selectmen in 1713. He pur-
chased land within five days of his death. He
married, May 24, 1686, Abigail Kendall, his
father's cousin. She had an unusual number
of fingers and toes (a characteristic of the
whole Kendall family in America). She died
October 12. 1734, and he and his wife are
buried in the old Lexington graveyard and
headstones mark the graves. Children: 1.
Abigail, born May 29, 1687, married Deacon
Jonathan Fiske. 2. William, July 18, 1693;
mentioned below. 3. Mary, April 8, 1695,
married Deacon John Stone. 4. Benjamin,
October 22, 1696, married Rebecca Stone. 5.
Samuel, October 24, 1699. 6. Joshua, Janu-
ary 20, 1702. 7. Hepsibah, December io,
1705, married Daniel Tidd. 8. Elizabeth,
married Joseph Munroe. 9. Rebecca, married
Edward Johnson, of Woburn.

(VIII) William (3), son of Captain Will-
iam (2) Reed, was born July 18, 1693, died
February 11, 1778. He was generally called
"Squire." He lived about a mile from the
monument in Lexington on the road to Bed-
ford, where he owned much land, and where
his sons Hammond and Nathan remained and
settled. The house in which he lived and died
is still or was lately standing, in good condi-
tion, and is or was lately owned by his grand-
son, Christopher Reed. William Reed was
representative to the general court twenty
years in succession, and justice of the peace
during the reigns of George II and III.
He took an active part in public life, and
in the office of justice performed the marriage
ceremony for many of his descendants. He
had prepared a tomb previous to his death,
which is still in good preservation in the old
cemetery. It was a splendid tomb for those
days. He married Sarah Poulter. Children :
1. William, born January 1, 1720. 2. Samuel,
May 4, 1722. 3. Sarah, January 3, 1725. 4.
Mary, March 10, 1728, married William
Bowman. 5. Oliver, March 25, 1730, men-
tioned below. 6. John, May 28. 1731. 7.
Hammond. April 28, 1734. 8. Eliot, April
28, 1738. 9. Hannah. October 21, 1740. 10.
Nathan, November 9, 1743.

(IX) Oliver, son of William (3) Reed, was
born in Lexington, March 25, 1730. He set-
tled in Bedford, on land his grandfather
bought of the town of Billerica. He married
April 11, 1754. Sarah Bridge. Children: 1.
Oliver, born December 11, 1755, mentioned



below. 2. Sarah, October 4, 1757. 3. Reuben,
December 21, 1759. 4. Mary, September 12,

1763-

(X) Oliver (2), son of Oliver (1) Reed,
was born in Bedford, December 11, 1755. He
married, September 2, 1810, Mary Fitch.
Children: 1. Nathan Oliver (twin), born
February 6, 1812, mentioned below. *2. Mary
Elizabeth (twin), born February 6, 1812.

(XI) Nathan Oliver, son of Oliver (2)
Reed, was born February 6, 18 12. He was a
diligent and prosperous farmer. He, like his
ancestors, was noted for the strictest integrity
and uprightness in all affairs, honorable in
every transaction, however trivial, and he won
and retained the confidence and respect of all
in the community. He gave liberally of his
means to those in need and distress, and in
every way possible contributed to the welfare
and well-being of those with whom he was
brought in contact. He never sought political
office, but on several occasions filled minor
positions in the township, by special request,
performing the duties most creditably and
acceptably. He married (first) December 18.
1834, Martha S. Fitch, and (second) Novem-
ber 10, 1843, Nancy Fitch, sister of first wife.
Child of first wife: Martha Fitch, born March
2, 1841. Children of second wife: 1. Mary
Caroline, born April 6, 1845, at Bedford,
attended public schools and Waltham high
school, and for more than twenty years was
with Black & Company, studio, 333 Washing-
ton street, Boston. She married, December
28, 1891, at Chelsea, Josiah D. Folsom, born
at Starks, Maine, March 27, 1830 ; educated
in public schools there ; machinist at Atlantic
Corporation at Lawrence, Massachusetts, two
and a half years; engaged for ten years in
Boston & Maine railroad shop : for forty years
mechanic and foreman of the steam engineer-
ing machine shop of the Charlestown navy
yard ; was appointed by chairman of bureau
of steam engineering at Washington, and later
on confirmed by Hon. John D. Long, secre-
tary of navy; retired since 1904; for many
years a member and trustee of Monument
Square Methodist Church at Charlestown, and
for many recent years a member and trustee
of the Flint Street Methodist Church at Som-
erville, Massachusetts, of which his wife is
also an active member ; a Reptiblican in poli-
tics ; member of Howard Lodge, I. O. O. F.,
of Charlestown. 2. Nathan Henry, born May
25, 1848, mentioned below. The children of
Mrs. (Fitch) Reed by her first marriage were:



1^20



MASSACHUSETTS.



1. Nancy, married James B. Lawrence. 2.
Abel, married Nellie A. Davis. 3. Henry B..
died in infancy.

(XII) Nathan Henry, son of Nathan
Oliver Reed, was born May 25, 1848, at Bed-
ford, Massachusetts. He was educated in the
public schools at Bedford and at Lawrence
Academy, Groton, Massachusetts. He was
engaged in the grocery business at East Som-
erville from 1809 to 1889. In 1896 he estab-
lished the Somerville Iron Foundry at 88
Washington street, under the firm name of N.
H. Reed & Son. which gives employment to
about sixty hands. He served in the capacity
of director of the Somerville National Bank.
Somerville Co-Operative Bank and Somer-
ville Trust Company, and a trustee of the
Somerville Savings Bank. For two years he
served as councilman of Somerville, and for
a like period served also as alderman, being
nominated on the Republican ticket. He is a
Unitarian in religion, active in church work,
serving as chairman of the standing commit-
tee. He is very generous in church and char-
itable work, giving freely when occasions
require. He is a member of Soley Lodge, F.
and A. M., Oasis Lodge and Home Circle,
T. O. O. F., having passed through all chairs.
He married Clara Baldwin Parker, born
January 14, 1846, died August 31, 1908,
daughter of Charles H. and Mary (Baldwin)
Parker, of Billerica. Children: 1. Nathan
P.. born December 11, 1874. mentioned below.

2. Mary Baldwin, born at Somerville, June 7,
1877, married Elwell R. Butterworth, they
have one son, Robert Reed Butterworth, born
June 30. 1901.

t Nil! ) Nathan P., son of Nathan H. Reed,
was born in Somerville, Massachusetts, De-
cember 11, 1874. He was educated in the
public and high schools of his native town and
at the Bryant & Stratton Business College of
Boston. lie then became associated with his
father in business, N. H. Reed & Son, afore-
mentioned, and by his many admirable quali-
fications has won the highest esteem of the
residents of his native city. He is an active
member of the Unitarian church, was assistant
librarian of the Sunday school for two years,
and a generous contributor to the work of the
church and to various charitable organizations.
He is a member of Soley Lodge and Royal
Arch Chapter, F. and A. M., of Somerville.
He married, November 20, 1902, Ella May
Burgess, born December 13, 1879, daughter
of Edward B. and Julia A. (Samson) Burgess,
of Somerville and Charlestown. (See sketch



of Burgess family). She was educated in the
public schools of Somerville, graduating in the
class of 1898. Children: 1. Alice Burgess,
born November 20, 1903, died October 3.
1904. 2. Nathan Edward, born June 23, 1905.
3. Elinor, born November 18, 1906. 4. Bur-
gess Parker, born July 12, 1908.

(The Burgess Line).

The name Burgess is a title, civil or official.
In England the inhabitant of a burgh or bor-
ough is a burgess, and the orthography of the



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 30 of 145)