William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 35 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 35 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and Sarah (Douglas) Smith, was born at
Pawdet, August 21, 1782. died October 12.
1837. He went with his father when very
young to St. Armand, Canada East, where he
resided. He was very religious and was active
and useful in church. He was licensed and
ordained as a Baptist minister, preaching in
the neighborhood on the Sabbath, mostly
without recompense, and working hard on
his farm the other six days, and by his un-
remitting toil, thrift and prudence, he ac-
quired a competency for those days. He mar-
ried Carolyn, born in Canada, daughter of
Stephen Bush, of Orwell, Vermont ; children :
Esther, born May 19, 1802: Alta Maria, No-
vember 18, 1809; Carolyn, December 16,
1816; Harvey D., November 28, 1819; Sarah.
The mother died April 28, 1832, and he con-
tracted a second marriage with Abigail Ayers ;
children : Harriet Murdock, born January 20,
1834, married, July 14. 1852, Avery Jackson
Smith, who was the son of Benjamin Howard
and Carolyn Jackson Smith. Avery Jackson
Smith was born in Gouverneur, New York,
where he spent his early life. He was gradu-
ated from Union College, and for a time taught
school in Central New York state. He then
went into the insurance business and became
early an agent for the Massachusetts Mutual
( iompany of Springfield. He lived for a time in
New York and later in Baltimore, and in 1870
was elected secretary of the Massachusetts
Mutual Company and came to live in the city



MASSACHUSETTS.



i54i



of Springfield. He held this office until 1881,
when he was succeeded by John A. Hall, presi-
dent of the company. Since that time Mr.
Smith has been associated with a number of
local enterprises. He was at one time treas-
urer of the Springfield Printing Company, and
trustee of the Springfield Glue and Emery
Wheel Company and of Hyde, Ayer & Co.
Later he was for a short period president of
the Springfield Assurance Company. He then
served some seven years as manager of the
Densmore Typewriter Company, resigning to
take a position in the Taber-Prang Company.
For some little time past he had been in the
investment business, recently being associated
with the Commonwealth Securities Company.
He was at one time connected with the First
Church. Mr. Smith was a business man of
the old-fashioned school, quiet, dignified and
exact in his methods, and exceedingly upright
in all of his dealings. Although naturally
of a reserved disposition, he had close friends
among the older men of the city, and had
established especially intimate relations among
the members of the club, to which he had for
some time belonged. He died July 28, 1903.



The father of the principal sub-
SMITH ject of the following sketch,

William Smith, was a native of
England, whence he removed to Closeburn,
Scotland, only about twenty miles from the
north boundary of England. There he was
killed by a fall from his horse. He married
Janet MacKenzie, daughter of John Mac-
Kenzie, of Dumfries. After the death of her
husband she returned to her father's house in
Dumfries, where she continued to reside. She
was a woman of attractive personality and of
superior intellectuality, and was interested
particularly in antiquarian research. She was
deeply loved by her son who made as many
as sixteen or eighteen trips to Scotland to visit
her, and usually passed a month at her house
on each visit. She died August 31, 1891, being
then eighty years old. She and her ancestors
for generations are buried in the cemetery of
the kirk at Closeburn.

John MacKenzie, only son of William and
Janet (MacKenzie) Smith, was born in Close-
burn, Dumfries, Scotland, September 25, 1841,
and died in Springfield, Massachusetts, Decem-
ber 12, 1898. He attended school at Wallace
Hall in his native place, and at the age of four-
teen began an apprenticeship in the dry goods
store of a Mr. Scott, provost of Dumfries.
He worked there four years, and then went



to a wholesale dry goods house in Glasgow,
from which in i860 he came to this country,
llis first four years in America were spent
in the employ of George Trumbull, whose store
was at the corner of Washington and Winter
streets in Boston. In 1865 he settled in Spring-
field, and entered into partnership with A. B.
Forbes, buying out John T. Rockwood. Their
business occupied a small store on the corner,
where Forbes & Wallace are now in business.
From 1870 to 1874 Mr. Smith was interested
with A. B. Wallace in the firm of Smith &
Wallace, at Pittsfield. In the latter year Mr.
Smith had a flattering offer of the business of
Churchill & Watson, on Washington street.
He gave up his interests in Springfield and
Pittsfield. sold his share in the store in the
latter city to A. B. Wallace, and the new ven-
ture started in Boston under the firm name of
Churchill, Gilchrist, Smith & Company. Mr.
Smith remained in this three years, and two
years more in the firm of Smith & Watson,
of Boston. In 1879 he returned to Springfield
with Peter Murray, and started the firm of
Smith & Murray on the corner where the busi-
ness is still carried on, in a small store with
a frontage of forty feet on Main street and a
depth of one hundred feet. Since that time
the concern has grown until it now occupies
the five-story building fronting one hundred
feet on Main street, and running back one
hundred and fifty on Court street. The
firm also conducted a store under the name of
Smith, Murray & Company, at Bridgeport,
and is interested in several smaller establish-
ments in the towns and cities of Western
Massachusetts. Mr. Smith was president of
the Alaska Manufacturing Company, director
in the First National Bank and the Taber-
Prang Company, and a member of the Board
of Trade. He was a thirty-second degree
Mason, and a member of the Nyasset Club and
the St. Andrew's Society of Boston. He at-
tended Christ's Episcopal Church. He was
an honorable and successful business man, a
good citizen, and a kindly and benevolent
man. From a small beginning, he has with
his partner, Peter Murray, built up one of the
largest mercantile enterprises in Springfield.
Mr. Smith took a friendly interest in the young
men who had been his employes and the firm
aided many of them with its backing to start
stores of their own. He also gave largely to
the poor, both in Springfield and in Closeburn.
leaving at his death a fund, the interest of
which goes to the poor of the latter city. He
was unusually devoted to his home, the old



1542



MASSACHUSETTS.



Phelps homestead. His home life was ex-
tremely pleasant, and his well-kept place was
one of the attractions of Springfield. He was
a lover of good horses and in fact of animal
pets of all kinds, of which he had many on his
place. He took much pleasure in driving, and
his stables were models. Outside his home
Mr. Smith had formed some warm ties, having
made friends especially among Scotchmen. He
numbered among these Andrew Carnegie,
whom he entertained at the time of his visit
to Springfield, in 1896. John M. Smith mar-
ried, in Springfield, November 13, 1867.
Adelaide ( i. Phelps, born February 8, 1841,
daughter of Charles and Frances A. (Am-
blairde) Phelps, of Springfield. (See Phelps
VI). They had two children: 1. Josephine
Amblairde, born November 18, 1868, in
Springfield, resides with her mother. 2.
Adelaide Phelps, January 17, 1873, married,
December 5, 1900, Dr. William Henry Pom-
eroy, of Springfield, born August 19, 1857.



There seems to be no available
PHELPS information on this side of the
Atlantic relative to the English
ancestors of this family. Thus far no colonial
record has been discovered which mentions
their place of abode or their position in society,
but there is some reason for believing that
they were of the gentry. Three emigrants,
Henry, Nicholas, and Edward Phelps, pre-
sumably brothers, came to New England from
London in the ship "Hercules" (Captain John
Kidder), which arrived April 16, 1634, and as
each married and had posterity, three distinct
families were therefore established. Several
of this name in America, both men and women,
have attained prominence through their intel-
lectual superiority. Those about to be refer-
red to are a branch of the family established
by Henry.

( I ) Henry Phelps, the immigrant, was born
in England and died in Salem, Massachusetts.
He came to Salem from London in the ship
"Hercules" in 1634 and was made a freeman
March 13, 1639. Savage says he "married
1652 Hannah Bassett, but as second wife in
my opinion, for there is some probability that
he had married a daughter of Thomas Tres-
ler, by whom he had a son John, remembered
in the will of his grandmother."

(II) John, only son of Henry and

(Tresler) Phelps, was born at Salem about
.1640. The date and place of his death are
not known. He married Widow Abigail
Upton, by whom he had : Abigail, John,



Henry, Joseph, Abigail, Samuel and Hannah.

(Ill) Henry (2), second son of John and
Abigail ( Upton ) Phelps, was born in Salem,
April 3, 1673, and died in Reading, January 21,
1722. He married, December, 1706, Rachel
Guppy, by whom he had five children or more.

( IV) Henry (3), fifth child of Henry (2)
and Rachel (Guppy) Phelps, was born about
1720, at Reading, and died about 1797. In
early life he lived in Beverly, where he mar-
ried and where his first child was born. About
1750 he removed to Sutton, where five more
children were born, and he continued to live
there the greater part of his life. He mar-
ried, July 11, 1745, Sarah Rounday, of Bev-
erly, who was born January 22, 1729, in
Beverly, and died about 1794. She was the
daughter of Benjamin and Charity (Stone)
Rounday. Their children were: Henry,
Ebenezer, Azor, Mary and John.

(V) Azor, third son of Henry (3) and
Sarah (Rounday) Phelps, was born in Sut-
ton, Massachusetts, October 13, 1761, and died
in Shrewsbury, April 2, 1837. He was a revo-
lutionary soldier, and the following is his
record: Azor Phelps, private, Captain Ben-
jamin Alton's company, Colonel John Rand's
regiment; enlisted July 9, 1780, three days
preceding march ; discharged October 10,
1780: service three months, twelve days, in-
cluding travel (one hundred and ninety miles)
home ; regiment raised for three months ser-
vice at West Point ; roll sworn to at Charlton ;
also, order on Henry Gardner, treasurer, pay-
able to John Harbach Jr., dated Sutton, March
3, 1782, signed by said Phelps, for wages, &c,
for three months service at West Point in Cap-
tain Benjamin Alton's company, Colonel John
Rand's regiment, in 1780. He was a farmer
and blacksmith, and in the latter employment
made scythes and other farming implements.
He settled first in Millbury, removing thence
to Worcester, and about 1816 to Shrewsbury.
He died of hernia caused by the kick of a
horse. He married (first) November 16,
1784, Mrs. Mary (Tenney) Holman, born
April 4, 1761, died October 6, 1814, daughter
of Daniel and Rebecca (Dickinson) Tenney.
He married (second) December 4, 181 5, Mrs.
Dolly (Makepiece) Dresser. She was born
September 18, 1799, died October 22, 1869, at
Madison, Indiana. Her first husband was
Harvey Dresser. After the death of Azor
Phelps she married (third) December 4, 1838,
John Frink, of Palmer. Azor and wife are
buried in the lot of Henry Phelps, Rural cem-
etery, in Worcester. The children by the first



MASSACHUSETTS.



-543



marriage were: Polly (Alary), Sarah. Azor
(died young), Susan, Azor Rounday, Charles,
Nancy Dickinson; by second wife, born at
Worcester: George Makepiece, Dolly and
Henry.

(VI) Charles, third son of Azor and Mary
(Tenney) (Holman) Phelps, was born August
5, 1800, in Sutton, and died at the residence
of his son-in-law E. S. Alexander, in Chicago,
Illinois, August 25, 1872, 'and was buried in
Springfield. He married (first) October 27,
1824, Mary Ann Martha Amblairde, born in
1802, died October 22, 1828. He married
(second) February 12, 1834, Frances An-
toinette Amblairde. born October 11, 181 1, in
Boston, died June 2, 1894, in Springfield. She
was a daughter of James and Sophia G. Am-
blairde, of Boston. Of the first marriage there
was one child, a daughter, who died
young. Of the second marriage there
were three children: 1. Joseph Richard Van
Zant, born January 13, 1835, died December
25. 1836. 2. Josephine Antoinette, born De-
cember 13, 1836, died August 23. 1908, at
Albany, New York; she married (first) Sep-
tember 13, 1857, in Springfield, Elijah S.
Alexander, of Chicago, Illinois, who was born
1834, and died in Chicago, February 23, 1886;
(second) November, 1887, E. H. Waldron,
who died in Chicago in 1896. 3. Adelaide
Gabrielle, born February 8, 1841, in Spring-
field, married, November 13, 1867, John
Mackenzie Smith, in Springfield. (See
Smith ).

Mention of this family is
BOWLES found in records of times long
past one name "Bolls" is
found in the Roll of the Butte Abbey as given
by Hollingshead. Duchesne from a charter in
that Abbey, gives a list of the conquerors in
England under William of Normandy among
whose names appear that "Bools." The names
of Boll, Bol, Bole and Bolle occur frequently
in Domesday Book. One family of Bolles, of
long standing in the county of Lincoln, was
resident there so early as the reign of Henry
III, when Alaire, or Alaine Bolle, of Swines-
head, was Lord of Swineshead and Bole Hall
in the county of Lincoln. Its principal seat
seems to have been Bolle Hall, in Swineshead,
until the close of the reign of Edward IV
(A. D. 1483) where the elder branch of the
Bolleses became settled at Hough, near Alford
in Lincolnshire, while a younger branch estab-
lished itself at Goosberkirke, now Goosberton,
in the same county, and from this younger



branch descended the baronets of Scampton,
Lincolnshire. The American Bolleses, of
whom some account follows, are doubtless
descended from this stock, though there is no
record of their English descent.

(I) Joseph Bolles was the first of the name
who came from England to America, but the
precise time and place of his arrival have not
been ascertained. He first appears of record
in 1640. when he was engaged in trade at
Winter Harbor, near the mouth of the Saco
river, then in the Province of Maine. The
records of the general court of Maine, 1640,
contain this passage: "Joseph Bolles, hath
presented to the Grand Inquest Thomas
Heard for being drunk * and threat-

ening him with many violent words, to break
open his store. He (the delinquent) further
declareth that he received his drink at the
house of William Scadlock." Mr. Bolles
afterwards removed to Wells, Maine, where
he held the office of town clerk from 1654 to
id' 4, during which period his dwelling house
and the first volume of the town records were
burned by the Indians. Joseph Bolles, born
1608, died at Wells, Maine, in the fall of 1678.
His will bears date of September 18, of that
year, and was admitted to probate in Novem-
ber, 1678. "His inventory made and appraised
by us the 29th of November, 1678. Will-
iam Symonds- — Joseph Storer," enumerates
"houses, lands, and meadows belonging to the
home lots appraised by us underwritten at
four hundred and eighty pounds," and his
whole estate was appraised at £842 is. 6d.
He was both grantor and grantee of numerous
pieces of land. At his death his real estate,
reduced already by divers grants to his chil-
dren was appraised at £530. Various circum-
stances show that he was a man of high char-
acter and standing, universally respected and
honored. In July, 1653, commissioners of
Massachusetts held a court at Wells, and ap-
pointed him "Clerk of the Writs." with power
to grant warrants, attachments, etc. In 1660,
the King having restored to the Gorges family
what had been usurped by Massachusetts,
Archdale, Gorges' agent, went to Maine with
commissioners for various persons and among
others, Air. Bolles, as counsellors and magis-
trates. In 1664 Sir Ferdinand Gorges, grand-
son of the original patentee, commissioned
"sundry of his loving friends, including Mr.
Bolles, as deputies and commissioners for the
government of the Province of Maine." In
all cases where the name is found written by
his own hand, it is spelled Bolles; but copyists,



J544



MASSACHUSETTS.



recording officers, and others out of the family
spell it capriciously and in many different
ways, as Bauls, Bowls, Bowels, Boals, Bolls,
Bools, Boolls, Booles, Bowalls. John A. Bolles,
genealogist of the Bolles family, from whom
the history of the early generations of this
family is taken conjectures that Joseph Bolles
married a daughter of Morgan Howell, who
owned land at Cape Porpoise, and who devised
and bequeathed to Mrs. Bolles and her chil-
dren all his estate and property, and appointed
her executrix of his will November 12, 1666.
Mr. Bolles' whole family survived him, and
his widow was living in 1684, after which time
nothing is known of her. The following
family record is written in Mr. Bolles' own
hand-writing in the Wells town records: "The
ages of Mr. Joseph Bolles, born February,
1608, and Mary Bolles, his wife, in March,
1624; 1. Mary Bolles, their daughter, born
August 7, 1(141 ; 2. Thomas Bolles, his oldest
son, December 1, 1644; 3. Samuel Bolles,
born March 12, 1646; 4. Hannah Bolles, No-
vember 25. 1649; 5- Eliza Bolles. January 15,
1652; 6. Joseph Bolles, March 15. 1654; 7.
Sarah Bolles, January 20, 1657 ; 8. Mercy
Bolles, August 11, 166 1."

(II) Samuel, son of Joseph and Mary
Bolles, was born in Wells. March 12, 1646.
In [668, as appears by the town records, the
inhabitants of Wells granted him three hun-
dred acres of land, on condition that he should
"improve the same within a year." He after-
ward removed to Rochester, Massachusetts.
"< >ne of his descendants informs me," writes
the family genealogist, "that after being three
times burnt out in Maine, by the Indians, he
moved first to Clark's Island in Boston Har-
bor, and next to Rochester, Massachusetts,
where he changed lands with Samuel Ham-
mond, and that his house was about two miles
north of Mattapoisette Village." He and his
wife were living in 1713. In June, 1712, they
conveyed to Henry Flint, of Cambridge, six
hundred acres of land, situated in New Dart-
mouth, alias Sheepscot, commonly known by
the name of Dyer's Neck, or Nassacmac, which
said neck of land, says the deed, was for-
merly granted by Robin Hood Sagamore of
the said Nassacmac. unto William Dyer, father
of said Mary. In 1713. they conveyed to
Samuel Hammond, of Rochester, three hun-
dred and ten acres of land, lying in the town-
ship of Wells. Dyer and his son, Christo-
pher, were killed and scalped by Indians at
Dyer's Neck. Neither record nor tradition
gives the date of death of Samuel Bolles, or



that of his wife. He married Mary, daughter
of William Dyer, of Sheepscot, Maine, and
they had three children : Joseph, Samuel and
Jonathan.

(III) Samuel (2), son of Samuel (1) and
Mary Bolles, has left us no record of the dates
of his birth or death. His will was dated
October 3, 1764. He married Lydia Balch,
and they had eight children: Lydia, Samuel,
Benjamin, David. Ruth, Deliverance, Deborah
and Joanna.

(IV) David, son of Samuel (2) and Lydia
(Balch) Bolles. removed from Rochester,
Massachusetts, about 1782, to Richmond, New
Hampshire. He married Lydia Kirby and
they were the parents of eleven children : John,
Nathaniel. Catherine, David. ( )bed, Elijah.
Jonathan. Abigail. Mary, Jesse and Hannah.

( V ) Jesse, son of David and Lydia (Kirby)
Bolles, or Bowles, as the name began to be
spelled, was born in 1779, died May 10, 1855.
He owned a farm in the town of Bethlehem,
New Hampshire, where the Maplewood
Casino now stands. He married Polly Gale,
born 1775, died October 21, 1841. Their chil-
dren were : Caleb W., and Mary, who died
young.

(VI ) Caleb W., only son of Jesse and Polly
( ( iale ) Bowles, was born 1809, died at Little-
ton, February 8, 1882. He was buried at
Sugar Hill. He owned a farm and resided in
Bethlehem, where the Maplewood Casino now
stands. Later he removed to Sugar Hill. He
married (first) September 28, 1831, Martha
Goodnow, of Lisbon, born 1806, died 1858.
Their children were : Henry, Mary, Lyman
E., Martha and Augusta. He married (sec-
ond) Sally Barrett.

(VII) Lyman Eliot, son of Caleb W. and
Martha (Goodnow) Bowles, was born in
Franconia, New Hampshire, October 8, 1838,
died at Newtown, Pennsylvania, September
14, 1 87 1. In his boyhood he lived at Bethle-
hem and there attended the primary schools.
He was a steady, studious boy and fond of
his books. As soon as he was able he attended
an . academy and learned mathematics, Latin
and Greek, which he liked better. When he
had made sufficient preparation he taught in
the district schools in Lyman and Lisbon, New
I tampshire, and Rockingham and Athens. \ er-
mont. He was well qualified for his duties ;
a sympathetic and thorough teacher ; possessed
the confidence and respect of his pupils. For
two or three years he was employed in the ice
business in New York City, and then went to
New Orleans, Louisiana. This was in the time







9



MASSACHUSETTS.



1545



of the civil war. While on his way there by
boat he was attacked by a rheumatic fever,
and his fellow travelers did not expect him to
survive ; but he recovered, though slowly, and
after spending a year in the Crescent City,
returned to Athens, Vermont, where he
worked on the farm of his father-in-law about
three years. From Vermont he went to New-
town, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, where he
was engaged in the business of life insurance.
Mr. Bowles was from a child a person whose
personality and character were such as to make
those he met his friends. He was a clean,
moral man, always temperate, and for years a
good Templar. He was an honored member
of the Masonic fraternity, and was buried by
that Order in Sunset Hill cemetery in Lisbon,
New Hampshire. He married, March 8, 1865,
at Athens, Vermont, Julia Louise Leland (see
Leland VII), who was born in Lowell, Ver-
mont, September 14. 1840, daughter of Otis
and Nancy (Spalding) Leland, who survives
him. She resides with her son in Long-
meadow. Massachusetts. The children of
Lyman E. and Julia L. (Leland) Bowles are:
Henry L., Angie S., Caleb W. and Martha.

(VIII) Henry Leland, eldest child of Lyman
E. and Julia L. (Leland) Bowles, was born
in Athens, Vermont, January 6, 1866, and was
educated in the common schools and Vermont
Academy at Saxtons River. After leav-
ing school at the age of seventeen years,
he went to Iowa and lived on a farm
near Osage in Mitchell county, nearly
two years. From there he went to California
and worked at whatever was most accessible
about Los Angeles, and later was employed
in the lumber business at Santa Ana. Return-
ing to the east he worked six months in the
United States watch factory in Waltham,
Massachusetts, and was next night clerk at
the old Essex House at Salem, three years,
and then a solicitor in the employ of the Met-
ropolitan Life Insurance Company in South
Boston. He then made another change and
entered the service of J. A. Whitcomb, pro-
prietor of the Baltimore Dairy Lunch busi-
ness in Boston, and at Lawrence, Massa-
chusetts, where his next three years were
passed. He then engaged on his own account
in feeding the public and opened a place in
Springfield, Massachusetts, and conducted a
successful business. Soon he added another
and another until now (1909) he has twenty-
three places where meals are served, employs
three hundred and fifty persons and conduct?
a business of eleven hundred thousand dollars



annually. Between Hartford, Connecticut,
and Buffalo, New York, he has nine restau-
rants, of which he is sole proprietor. In
Providence the Bowles Baltimore Lunch
Company has four restaurants. Bowles &
Company, Charles C. Gilbert being the com-
pany, has ten restaurants in the west. His
enterprises have all proved profitable and Mr.
Bowles has invested his surplus largely in
Springfield real estate. He is a Mason, a mem-
ber of Hampden Lodge, Royal Arch Chapter,
Council and Commandery, Knights Templar,
also of Melha Shrine. He is a member of
Hartford Lodge of Elks, the Nayasset Club,
the Springfield Automobile and several fish
and game clubs. In politics he is independent.
Since 1904 he has resided in Longmeadow,
where he has quite a large farm. His mother
is the mistress of his home, which is one of
good cheer and refinement.

(The Leland Line).

This name, the preponderance of authority
indicates, comes from lee, leigh, lea, ley, or



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 35 of 145)