William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 40 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which he conducted until his death. His
health would not permit him to do laborious
work, but that kind of work was not required
in his business, and he made a good living as
a merchant. After the death of John Phelps,
his family broke up. The wife and daughter
went to live with some relatives in Hartford.
The two older sons married and settled in
Willington. John Phelps had by his first wife
(name not known) three sons: Lucerne,
Josiah and William. After her death he
married (second) Amoretta Andrews, .by
whom he had one child, Mary T-

(III) William, son of John Phelps, was
born in Tolland, Connecticut. September 4,
183 1, and was educated in the public schools.
He was engaged in various kinds of business
at different times. At the time of his marriage
he was the proprietor of a shoe store at Green-
point, Long Island. Later he was in the
grocery business in Hartford, Connecticut,
two or three years, and then engaged in dec-



1 566



MASSACHUSETTS.



orative painting in Springfield, Massachusetts,
continuing up to 1872. He enlisted, August
30, 1862, at Hartford, and became a member
of Company E, Twenty-second Connecticut
Volunteer Infantry, and served a nine months
term, being discharged on account of expira-
tion of time for which enlistment was made
September 19, 1862; he was appointed a cor-
poral. His military service was rendered in
the vicinity of Washington where his regi-
ment was one of the force guarding that city.
He was married June 21, 1854, by Rev. Hervey
Smith, to Ellen Tuttle Bangs (see Bangs
VIII), born in Springfield, Massachusetts,
March 26, 1828. Three children were born
of this marriage: 1. Willis B., born in Bos-
ton, July 24, 1858, died February 20, 1882. 2.
John B., mentioned below. 3. Genevieve B.,
September 27, 1866. at Hanover (now Meri-
den), Connecticut, attended the Springfield
public school, then attended the New England
Conservatory of Music three years and studied
music in Berlin, Germany, two years.

(IV) John Bangs, second son of William
and Ellen T. (Bangs) Phelps, was born in
Hartford, Connecticut, March 15, 1861. He
attended the public schools at Greenfield,
Massachusetts, and then studied at the
academy at West Brattleboro, Vermont, three
years. In 1877 he went to Springfield, Massa-
chusetts, where he was a clerk in a clothing
store. From that employ he went to the
Chapin Paper and Pulp Company and was
employed there two or three years. At the
age of twenty-one he went into the service of
the Agawam National Bank. He next entered
the employ of the Hampden Savings Bank,
where he was made teller February 17, 1884;
assistant treasurer February 13, 1903; and
treasurer August 14, 1906, and has since filled
the last named position. He is a director in
the Chapin National Bank. In politics he
is a Republican; he attends the Unitarian
church. He is a member of the Savings Bank,
Treasurer's Club, the Economic and the Win-
throp clubs. Mr. Phelps is a man whose
judgment is much respected in banking circles.
He has a handsome home on Maplewood Ter-
race, where he resides with his mother and
sister.

(The Bangs Liue).

The origin of the name Bangs is doubtful,
one authority claiming that it is a corruption
of Banks, and that that name is from Banc,
near Honfleur, in France. Another suggests
that it is from bains, the French for bath.
Captain Jonathan, the son of the immigrant,



used in 1680 the same crest as that used by
Sir John Banks, of London, in the time of the
Stuarts, viz: A boor's head, full faced, couped
at the shoulders proper, on the head a cap of
maintenance gules turned up ermine adorned
with a crescent, issuant therefrom a fleur-de-
lis or. History states that many Norman-
English families settled in the Isle of Man
when it came under English dominion at the
beginning of the fourteenth century. The tra-
dition has been preserved in more than one
of the branches of the Bangs family in
America that the immigrant ancestor of them
all came from the Isle of Man.

( I ) Edward Bangs, immigrant, was born
in England in 1592, and died in Eastham,
Massachusetts, in 1678, aged eighty-six years.
Tradition in the Bangs family has it that he
was a native or inhabitant of Chichester, a
city in the county of Sussex, England ; but
there are those in the family that contend that
he was either born in the Isle of Man or his
immediate family was located there. He came
to Plymouth, Massachusetts, in the "Anne,"
which arrived there in July, 1623. From the
"History and Genealogy of the Bangs Family
in America" by Dean Dudley, we obtain much
that follows. Edward Bangs had four acres
of land for a garden plot on the other side of
Eel river in 1623. In the year 1627, in the
division of the cows and goats, he drew the
big line-back cow brought over in the "Anne."
The same year he received a second allotment
of land consisting of twenty acres. He was
one of the surveyors appointed to lay out the
lots, and in this business he was associated
with William Bradford, Edward Winslow,
John Howland, Francis Cook and Joshua
Pratt. He was made freeman in 1633 and his
taxes that year were twelve shillings. In
1634-35-36, he was one of the assessors. Octo-
ber, 1636, he was one of the jury to try
"actions and abuses." In 1637 he was one of
the grand inquest or grand jury, sworn to
inquire of all the abuses of the colony. In

1637 he was appointed with the governor and
assistants and Mr. Stephen Hopkins, as a
committee to divide the meadow lands. In

1638 he was again a member of the grand
inquest, as he was in 1641 and 1646. In 1639
he was appointed by the court as an arbitrator
between Samuel Gorton and Thomas Clark.
He was sometimes overseer of the guard
against the Indians. In 1641-42 he contributed
one-sixteenth part of the money to build a
bark of forty or fifty tons burden, to cost two
hundred pounds ; and in consideration he was



MASSACHUSETTS.



1567



granted by the Plymouth court eighty acres
of land. He was a shipwright by trade and
is said to have had charge of the construction
of the vessel. In 1645 he was a "Freeman of
Mawsett," or Eastham, the oldest town on
Cape Cod. His name is on the list of those
able to bear arms in 1643. About 1650 he
was deputy to the Old Colony court. In 1652
he was one of the jurors to lay out a con-
venient way from Sandwich into Plymouth,
and the same year was one of the deputies of
Eastham for Plymouth Colony court. He was
the town treasurer of Eastham from 1646 to
1665, and a selectman two years, about 1665.
In 1657 he was licensed as a merchant at
Eastham, and was for many years quite ex-
tensively engaged in trade. In 1659, the mili-
tary being required to arm and equip for ser-
vice, and three "troop horse" being the pro-
portion of Eastham, Governor Thomas Prence
and Edward Bangs each agreed to furnish
a man and horse, at his own expense, for two
years. His son Jonathan, then nineteen years
of age,, was ensign of the foot company.
Edward Rangs married Lydia. a daughter of
Robert Hicks, of Southwark, who with his
wife and children came over in the "Anne."
Lydia Hicks must have died before 165 1. He
married ( second ) Rebecca, surname unknown.
By the first wife he had one child, John. The
children of the second wife were: Joshua,
Rebecca, Sarah, Jonathan, Lydia, Hannah,
Bethia, Apphia and Mercy.

(II) Captain Jonathan, second son of
Edward and Rebecca Bangs, was born at
Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1640, and died
at Harwich, now Brewster. November 9, 1728.
In dividing his lands by will, Edward Bangs
gave Captain Jonathan his portion principally
in Satucket, now the town of Brewster, and
there he settled probably about 1694. He was
a selectman of Eastham three years, and in
1674-76-82-83-87-88 he was deputy to the Old
Colony court and in 1692 was representative
tc the general court at Boston. He was also
sometimes town treasurer of Eastham. He
was a military man and captain in the militia.
He was always called "Captain," while a ship
master was not often so designated. For him
many other appellations were preferred to
that of captain, such as "Mr." or "Deacon" or
"Squire". In 1680, in an agreement between
Mr. John Freeman Sr., of the one part and
various others of the other part, about bound-
aries of their lands lying at "Sautuckett" and
places adjacent, and the titles to those lands,
there are the signatures and seals of all the



parties. Jonathan Bangs used the same seal
described at the beginning of this article. He
married (first) July 16, 1664, Mary Mayo,
daughter of Captain Samuel and Thomasine
(Lumpkin) Mayo. Captain Mayo, mariner,
was born about 1625, and settled in Boston
about 1658, and died in 1663-64. His wife
Thomasine was born 1626, died June 16, 1709.
Captain Samuel Mayo was a son of Rev. John,
of Boston and Barnstable, and at last of Yar-
mouth. Mary Mayo was born at Barnstable,
February 3, 1650, died January 26, 171 1, at
Brewster. Jonathan Bangs married (second)
Sarah , who died June, 17 19, aged sev-
enty-eight ; (third) 1720. Mrs. Ruth Young,
of Eastham. daughter of Daniel Cole, of East-
ham. The twelve children of Jonathan Bangs,
all by wife Mary Mayo, were: Edward, Re-
becca, Jonathan (died young) ; Jonathan,
Mary, Hannah, Tamson or Thomasine,
Samuel, Mercie, Elizabeth, Sarah and Lydia.

(III) Captain Edward (2), eldest son of
Captain Jonathan and Mary (Mayo) Bangs,
was born at Eastham, September 30, 1665,
died at Eastham, May 22, 1746. He was a
resident of Satucket until after 1739, when
he removed to Eastham, where he spent the
remainder of his life. He inherited a double
portion of his father's estate — a common thing
for the eldest son in those days — and lived on
the homestead in Brewster. He was an active
business man, was a merchant, innholder and
a tanner. His will was dated April 14. 1746,
and the inventory of his estate amounted to
ninety-seven pounds, ten shillings, and his
debts to six pounds, ten shillings, six pence.
He married (first) Ruth Allen, who died June
22, 1738, aged sixty-eight years. He married
(second) January 16, 1739, Mrs. Ruth Mayo,
of Eastham, who died August 17, 1747. The
children, all by wife Ruth Allen were:
Joshua, Mary, Edward, Ruth, Jonathan,
Ebenezer and Rebecca.

(IV) Dr. Jonathan (2), third son of Cap-
tain Edward (2) and Ruth (Allen) Bangs,
was baptized May 23, 1707, died December 7,
1745. His inventory dated March 7, 1745,
mentions the amount of his estate as five hun-
dred and thirty-six pounds, fifteen shillings,
seven pence ; debts forty pounds. His doc-
tor's bill was five pounds, ten shillings ; funeral
charges eight pounds, six shillings. His widow
was administratrix of his estate, and Samuel
Howes, of Yarmouth, guardian of his only
child. His gravestone is yet preserved at
Brewster with its inscription. Dr. Bangs
married, January 4, 1733, Phebe, daughter of



[ 5 68



MASSACHUSETTS.



Stephen Hopkins, am! widow of Samuel
Bangs Jr. Her father, Stephen, was a son
of Stephen, a grandson of Giles, and a great-
grandson of Deacon Stephen Hopkins, a
"Mayflower" Pilgrim. The only child of Dr.
Jonathan and Phebe was a son Allen, next
mentioned.

(V) Alien, son of Dr. Jonathan (2) and
Phebe I Hopkins 1 (Bangs) Pangs, was born
at Satucket, now Brewster, March 23, 1734.
He appears to have been the only child of his
father. He was a farmer and was drowned
while boating hay from Brewster Marshes,
September 14, 1793. His homestead at South
Dennis is still occupied by his descendants.
He was a private in Captain Jonathan
Crowell's company at the Lexington alarm
<if the revolution. He was also in Captain
John Nickerson's company. Colonel Nathaniel
Freeman's regiment, and marched on an
alarm to Dartmouth and Falmouth, Septem-
ber. 1778. and did other service. Allen Bangs
married Rebecca Howes, of Yarmouth, born
there April 17. 1732, died at South Dennis, Sep-
tember 9, 1793. Both husband and wife seem
to have been buried near their homestead the
same month and year. She was the daughter
of Joseph and Elizabeth ( Paddock ) Howes.
Joseph Howes was a son of Samuel, son of
Jeremiah and Sarah ( Preuce) Howes the lat-
ter a daughter of Governor Thomas Preuce.
Jeremiah was a son of the Pilgrim, Thomas
Howes. The children of Allen and Rebecca
were: Jonathan (died young), Joseph,
Phoebe, Jonathan, Zenas, Allen (died young),
and Allen.

I'VI) Deacon Joseph, second son of Allen
and Rebecca (Howes) Bangs, was born at
Yarmouth. July 5, 1757. died at Hawley, June
30. 1809. He was a private in Captain Jona-
than Crowell's company from Yarmouth,
marching at the Lexington alarm, April 19,
1775. He was also on the roll of Captain
Joshua Gray's company, July 8, 1775, three
months, twenty-three days ; also two months
and live days, to December 31, 1775, are
credited to him. He married, at Yarmouth,
December 17, 1778. Desire Sears, born there
August 24, 1760. Her Sears ancestors were:
Captain Nathaniel (father). Samuel, Josiah,
Silas, and Richard (the immigrant). She
drew a pension on account of the service of
her husband, Joseph Bangs, in the revolution-
ary war. Children : Phebe, Rebecca, Joseph,
Desire. Sarah, Mary, Jonathan, Sabra, Olive,
Washington and Freeman.

(YJI) Joseph (2), eldest son of Joseph



( 1 ) and Desire ( Sears ) Bangs, was born at
jlawley, December 10, 1783, died at Spring-
held, September 27, 1839. "He was sent to
Springfield when a boy of sixteen, full of
energy, which helps to make a successful
business man. He remembered the struggle
at the home of his youth, among the rough
hills where his father's large family of chil-
dren were reared. The day he became twenty-
oce years of age, he cleared his father's farm
from incumbrance and carried the deed to his
father, and prepared a way for his three
brothers to go to Springfield and engage in a
good business. His energy and uprightness
in various kinds of mercantile affairs gave
him, for those days, a handsome estate,
although his heart and hand were ever open to
tl.e poor and needy. He was a perfectly hon-
est man, of noble sentiments and warm feel-
ings and deserved much gratitude and praise."
He married (first) March 23, 1809, Alary
Warner, of Springfield, born January 11,
1786, died May 24, 1819; (second) September
13. 1820. Julia Tuttle, born May 2, 1797, died
August 17, 1884, at Springfield. She was a
daughter of Caleb Tuttle, of Hartford, Con-
necticut. Children by wife Mary Warner:
Josiah Dennis, George, Joseph, Mary and
Frederick: by wife Julia Tuttle: Julia How-
ard, Ella Louise. Ellen Tuttle, Maria Sears,
Hannah Lincoln and Amelia Dillingham.

(VJII) Ellen Tuttle. third daughter of
Joseph (2) and Julia (Tuttle)- Bangs, was
born in Springfield, March 2(1, 1828, and mar-
ried, at Chicopee, June 21, 1854, William
Phe'ps, of Tolland, Connecticut (see Phelps
III ), and resides in Springfield.



Joseph Davis, born in London-
DAVIS derry, Ireland, about 1760, came

of respectable Scotch ances-
try. The Davis family came to the north
of Ireland with the early Scotch and English
Protestants early in the seventeenth century
and took part in the defense of Londonderry
during the siege in 1689. The name has been
well known in Londonderry from that time to
the present. He married Betty McCauley,
who died at an advanced age in Londonderry ;
he died there at the age of sixty-eight years.
(II) William, son of Joseph Davis, was
born in Londonderry, Ireland, in 1800. He
learned his father's trade, blacksmith. In 1826
lie married Jenny Mallory. born in London-
derry m 1804. of Scotch ancestry like her
husband. Her ancestors also came to the
n^rth cf Ireland early in the seventeenth cen-



MASSACH L T SETTS.



1569



lurv. They were good old Covenanters. In
1836 William Davis with his wife and chil-
dren left his native land and took passage for
America on a sailing vessel. After a tedious
voyage, lasting many weeks, he settled in Mid-
dle Simonds. Carleton county. New Bruns-
wick, am] followed his trade for many years
in that town, becoming a well known and pros-
peri ais citizen. He and his wife were brought
up in the Presbyterian church, but upon mov-
ing to New Brunswick, they joined the Advent
church, then the prevailing religion of that
section, and they continued loyal members of
the Advent church to the end of their lives.
He died in 1887. His wife, Jenny, was born
iu Ireland, September 27. 1804, and died in
Middle Simonds in March, 1892. Children:
1. William, born July I, 1827. 2. Mary, 1830,
died of cholera during the epidemic of 1851.
3 Betsey, December 24. 1833. 4. Joseph,
July 27. 1835. 5. Jane, born in Middle
Simonds, 1837, married Stephen G. Shaw, a
descendent of Wendell Phillips; they reside
on a farm in Carleton county, New Bruns-
wick. 6. Hannah, July 4, 1839, married David
Trecartin. a carpenter, residing in Melrose,
Massachusetts. 7. George H., May 4, 1841,
mentioned below. 8. Emily, November 4,
1843, married James Christian, of Carleton
county, of Welsh ancestry; they are living on
a farm in this section of the province. 9.
Nancy, March. 1845. married Alvah Dobel, a
soldier in the Union army during the civil
war, settled in Carleton county after the war
and his wife died there. 10. Stuart, March,
1847, married and now a resident of East
Cambridge.

' 1 TI ) George H., son of William Davis, was
bcrn in Middle Simonds, May 4, 1841. He
attended school in his native place, and worked
on his father's farm during his youth. He
also learned the trade of carpenter. He was
.killful with tools of all kinds, however, and
though he came to Boston to follow his trade,
he soon afterward entered the employ of the
Whittier Machine Company, of Boston. He
held a responsible position with this concern
for fifteen years, then he engaged in business
on his own account, manufacturing auto-
matic gates for passenger elevators in
a factory at 100 Utica street, Boston.
His business was prosperous and he con-
tinued it until the time of his death
with much success. He died at his home in
Roflindale, West Roxbury, May 21, 1899. He
was a thoroughly capable business man as well
as an exceptionally skillful craftsman. He



was an active and devout member of the Ad-
vent church. He was kindly and charitable to
the extent of his means. He married Anna
(Campbell) Woodburn, widow of William
Woodburn. She comes of an ancient and dis-
tinguished Scotch family. When she was a
very young child, her father went toAustralia
on business and was never heard from. Her
mother, Elizabeth (Limerick) Campbell, went
to live with her parents in Londonderry, Ire-
land, and in 1841 came to America, making hei
home in Middle Simonds on the river St.
Johns. She married (first) in Christ Church,
Salem street, Boston, December 8, 1854, Will-
iam Woodburn, who was born in Londonderry
county. Ireland, came with his parents to
Carleton county. New Brunswick, learned the
trade of baker, removed to Boston, Massa-
chusetts, after his marriage, and followed the
business of teamster until his death, August
j;, i8s9- Mrs. Davis resides at Roslindale
and ha< preserved her health and faculties to
a wonderful degree. Children of William and
Anna (Campbell) Woodburn: 1. Robert
John Woodburn, died October 6, 1859, aged
two years. 2. Mary Elizabeth Woodburn,
born February 25, 1859. married John L. S.
Roberts, a successful patent attorney of Bos-
ton. Children of George H. and Anna (Camp-
bell ) (Woodburn) Davis: 1. Isabella Stuart,
born in Boston, September 19, 1865. married
J. Hollister Currie, who after the death of his
father-in-law, George H. Davis, succeeded to
the management of the business at 100 Utica
street, Boston, and has conducted it very suc-
cessfully: they reside in Roslindale and have
one child, Inez May Currie, born February 2.
1892, student in the Boston Latin school. 2.
William Wallace, mentioned below. 3. George
H.. December 30, 1869, an employee in Met-
ropolitan Coal Company ; married Ann Isabel
Johnson : child, Elizabeth Johnson ; resides in
Roslindale. 4. Anna Florence, died in in-
fancy 5. Charles Joseph, June 29, 1873, died
January 24, 1909; he was a successful news-
dealer in Dedham, Massachusetts; married
Margaret L. Swords.

(IV) William Wallace, son of George H.
Davis, was born May 17. 1867. He was edu-
cated in the public schools, and is a successful
and prosperous dealer in stationery, magazines,
newspapers, etc., at Roslindale. He is active,
energetic and prosperous. In politics he is a
Republican. He married, February 22, 1898,
Evelyn Davis, born in Middle Simonds, Feb-
ruary 24. 1866, daughter of Joseph Davis (3)
and granddaughter of William Davis (2).



r 57°



-MASSACHUSETTS.



(See below). Children: i. Virginia Kath-
erine, born December 20, 1904. 2. Richard
Wallace, September 27, 1908.

Joseph Davis, son of William Davis (2),
and father of Mrs. W. W. Davis, was born
in Londonderry, Ireland. July 25, 1835. He
came to New Brunswick, Canada, with his
parents in 1836 and settled in Carleton county.
He married there in 1858 Lucy Crouse, born
at* St. Mary's New Brunswick, July. 1838,
died at Middle Simonds in 1875. He died at
Middle Simonds. December 9, 1906. He and
his wife were faithful members of the Advent
church for many years. Children: 1. Mary,
born September 9, 1858, married Rainsford
Gray, a farmer, residing in Carleton county.
2. Elizabeth (twin), March 19, 1861, married
Albert Robertson, now of Grand Falls, New
Brunswick. 3. Ann (twin), March 19, 1861,
lives at Arlington, Massachusetts. 4. Emma,
1864, died aged nine years. 5. Child, died in
infancy. 6. Evelyn. February 24, 1866, mar-
ried William Wallace (4), mentioned above.
7. Melinda, December 28, 1868, married James
C. Gerow, a restaurant-keeper at Houlton,
Maine. 8. Orin Beecher, April 25, 1872, mar-
ried Eliza Frazer ; resides at Grand Falls, New
Brunswick ; he is a lumber dealer and manu-
facturer of that place.



The name, whether spelled Bar-
BARRUS rus, Barrows, Barrowe or Bar-
row, from Barrow, a mound, or
borough, a town, is of the family that lived in
Yarmouth, England, before 1637. Out of the
family was sent to New England in 1637 the
immigrant ancestor of the name of Barrus or
Barrows in America, in the person of John
Barrows.

( I ) John Barrows was born in England in
1609 and he left Yarmouth, England, at the
age of twenty-eight with his wife Anne, and
settled in Salem, Massachusetts Bay Colony.
John and Anne Barrows received grants of
land in Salem in 1637, and were inhabitants
of that town for twenty-eight years, and all
their children were born there. They removed
to Plymouth before 1665, and John, the immi-
grant, died there in 1692. His will shows that
he left a second wife younger than himself
and four sons: Robert (q. v.), Joshua, Ben-
jamin, who lived in Attleboro, and Ebenezer,
who lived in Cumberland, Rhode Island, and
two daughters, Mary and Deborah.

(II) Robert, eldest son of John and Anne
Barrows, was born in Salem. Alassachusetts
Bay Colony, removed with his father to



Plymouth and had by his first wife, Ruth, four
children: 1. John, 1667, died in Plymouth,
1720. 2. George (q. v.), 1670. 3. Samuel,
1672, died in Middleboro, 1755. 4. Mehitable,
married Adam Wright. He married (second)
Lydia Dunham, and had children. 5. Robert,
1689, died in Mansfield, Connecticut, 1779. 6.
Thankful, 1692, married Isaac King. 7. Elisha,
1695, died in Rochester, Alassachusetts, 1767.
8. Thomas, 1697, died in Mansfield. 9. Lydia,
1699, married Thomas Branch.

(Ill) George, second son of Robert and
Ruth Barrows, was born in Plymouth, Massa-
chusetts, 1670. He was a successful commis-
sioner in treating with the Indians and by his
skill he kept their good will and secured peace
to the early settlers. This service secured to
him the title of "Captain George." He was a
large land holder and had a large family. His
eldest son Peleg received the homestead now
located in the town of Carver, and which was
still in the possession of the family in 1880.
Peleg's son Joseph removed to Maine and was
the ancestor of Judge W. C. Barrus and Hon.
George B. Barrows, president of the Maine
senate, and of Rev. C. D. Barrows, of Lowell.
Samuel (q. v.), the second son of Captain
George, was called Samuel Jr. to distinguish
him from his uncle. Deacon Samuel (1672-

1755);

( I\ ) Samuel, second son of Captain George
Barrows, was born in Plymouth, Massachu-
setts, in 1700. He removed to Middleboro.
He married, November 21. 1723, Susannah
Tobey, of Sandwich, and removed to Killingly,
Connecticut. They had eight children : Noah,
born August 20, 1727, was the grandfather of



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 40 of 145)