William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 41 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 41 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Rev. William Barrows, D. D.. secretary of the
Massachusetts Home Missionary Society, and
George ( q. v. ), was probably the fifth or sixth.

(V) George (2), son of Samuel and Sus-
annah (Tobey) Barrows, was born in Kill-
ingly. Connecticut, March 21, 1733. He was
married and resided in Tolland, Connecticut,
where he and all children except one son
Lazarus (q. v. ) and one daughter, Keziah, died
of malignant fever in 1777.

(VI) Lazarus, only son of George (2) Bar-
rows to reach maturity, was born in Tolland,
Connecticut, in 1763. Left an orphan in 1777,
he was incorrectly told that his name was
Barrus and not Barrows, and he changed the
spelling of the name to Barrus. He married
Ruth, daughter of Joseph Cressey, and soon
after the birth of their first child they removed
from Tolland, Connecticut, to Rowe, Massa-
chusetts. They had nine children born as



%



m






\n







j



fCiruyyx &#AAaaA ■



MASSACHUSETTS.



i5/i



follows: 1. Julia Ann, in Tolland, Connec-
ticut. November II, 1785. married Elijah War-
ren. 2. Susannah, January 26, 1788, married
Bani Parker about 1812. 3. Patience, July 22,
1790, married (first) Elisha Phillips, (second)
Jonathan Lilly, (third) a Mr. Clark. 4.
George, April 2, 1793, married (first) Rhoda
Keyes, ( second ) Rhoda T. Graves ; he died in
1869. 5. Levi (q. v.), March 10, 1795. 6.
Freelove, April 21, 1798. 7. Perus, April I,
1801, married Huldah Rogers. 8. Ruth,
December 18. 1803, married Elijah Howes,
November 24, 1831. 9. Anna, March 29, 1808,
married Madison Knowlton, November 11,
1830.

(VII) Levi, second son and fifth child of
Lazarus and Ruth ( Cressey ) Barrus, was born
in Charlemont, Massachusetts, March 10,
1795, died March 18, 1878. He married (first)
Almeda, daughter of Cyrus and Sarah
( Weeks ) Stearns, of Goshen, Massachusetts.
David Stearns, father of Cyrus, was the first
settler of Goshen, Hampshire county, Massa-
chusetts. The first American ancestor of David
Stearns was Isaac, who came from England
in 1630, in the same ship, it is thought, with
Governor Winthrop. He settled in Water-
town with his kinsman, Charles Stearns,
another immigrant who came on the same ship
and he was made a freeman by the general
court in 1646. Isaac Stearns sold his lands in
Watertown in 1680, and with his son Shubael
removed to Lynn and took up wild lands at
Reading. Shubael was a soldier in the
Narragansett expedition and his son Ebenezer
married Martha Burnap, of Reading, in 1 717.
They removed to Sutton where, as first set-
tlers, they received one hundred acres of land
free. David was the fourth son of Ebenezer
and Martha (Burnap) Stearns. He was born
in Sutton in 1729, removed to Dudley where
he remained a few years and in 1761, accom-
panied by Abijah Tucker, sought a new home
beyond the Connecticut river. Stearns and
Tucker left their families in Hampton during
the summer of 1761, proceeded over the mili-
tary trail towards Albany for twelve miles and
there felled trees, built a log house and founded
the present town of Goshen. The two families
spent the winter of 1761-62 in Goshen, their
only neighbors being the wild bears and wolves
of the primitive forest in which they had
intruded. Sarah ( Weeks ) Stearns was the
daughter of Captain Thomas and Mercy
( Hinckley) Weeks, the latter of whom was a
lineal descendant of Governor Hinckley. Cap-
tain Weeks served in the revolutionary war,



being with the colonial troops at the surrender
of Ticonderoga, losing his camp equipage and
clothing. He had served as paymaster in the
army and had attained the rank of captain.
He also served in the French and Indian war.
In 1761 he went to "Chesterfield "Gore" or "no
man's land," having been sent there by the
general court as an engineer to lay out the
town of Goshen. His surveyor's instruments
are in the possession of Alvan Barrus, whose
house is on the site of the house of Captain
Weeks. Captain Weeks became an important
man in the community, holding the office of
town clerk several years, and being a delegate
to the state convention in 1779-80. Captain
Weeks died April 20, 1817, in the eighty-sec-
ond vear of his age, and his wife died at
Whately, February 5, 1822, aged eighty- four
years ; both were buried in Goshen. Levi Bar-
rus married ( second ) Elvira W. Allis. The
children of Levi and Almeda (Stearns) Bar-
rus, as taken from the records of Charlemont,
were: 1. Hiram. July 15, 1822, married
Augusta Stone ; he died in 1883. 2. Lorin,
May 21, 1825, married Lucinda S. Naramore ;
he died in 1899. 3- Laura Ann, July 26, 1827,
married Jacob Lovell, and was still living in
1908. 4. Theron Levi, September 1, 1829,
married Czarina Robinson, was deacon, school
teacher and member of school committee ; he
died in 1906. 5. Alvan Stone (q. v.), October
14. 1831. 6. Charles, May 25, 1834, married
Clarissa Hill : he died in 1904. 7. Louisa Jane,
July 20. 1838, died September 4, 1850. Levi
Barrus was a prosperous farmer and removed
from Salem to Goshen, Hampshire county,
Massachusetts, where he purchased a farm of
four hundred acres, which he cultivated with
great success and considerable profit. He was
originally a Whig in political faith and left
that party when it departed from the principles
of its founders to make compromises with the
slaveholders of the South and joined the Free
Soil party of Massachusetts, and in 1856 he
was one of the founders and early supporters
of the Republican party. He was first a Bap-
tist and then a Congregationalist.

( YIII ) Alvan Stone, (he evidently dropped
the name Stone), son of Levi and Almeda
1' Stearns ) Barrus, was born on the old farm
in Goshen. Massachusetts, October 14, 1831.
He attended the district school and remained
on the farm with his father until he had
attained his majority, when he began the busi-
ness of selling milk in Holyoke at the time it
had a population of about five thousand. He
built up a large and profitable milk route, sold



15/2



MASSACHUSETTS.



out in 1854, and engaged with his brother
Hiram in the manufacture of carpenters tools
and planes at Goshen. He continued this busi-
ness for about three years when he engaged
in teaching a winter school in New York state,
1857-58, in a place called Bleecker, Fulton
county. He returned to Goshen in 1858 where
he bought out the business of a small general
store, in partnership with A. W. Crafts. In
1861, upon the outbreak of the war for the
Union of the United States, he volunteered
for the service in the Northern army, in the
Tenth Massachusetts Regiment, but sickness
prevented him from serving. In 1862 Mr.
Barrus re-enlisted in the First Massachusetts
Cavalry, for three years, and during this time
was for two years acting steward in the hos-
pital service, his health not permitting active
service in the field. The hospital was full of
contagious cases. Mustered out November 27,
1864. He was appointed a justice of the peace
in 1867, and being the only justice in a circuit
of eight miles his duties called him in various
parts of the county. He also served as town
clerk, 1861-62, selectman for twenty-six years,
a representative from his town in the general
court of Massachusetts, 1879, and in the house
he served on the committees on military affairs
and agricultural education. He was also chair-
man of the committee on county estimates.
While serving on the committee of education,
a bil! was reported to the house providing a
tax on all dogs of the commonwealth for the
benefit of the agricultural schools, which bill
was opposed by Representative Barrus, and
he induced the committee to substitute a bill
providing that the money for the support of
the Agricultural College be taken from the
treasury of the commonwealth as the original
bill was calculated to degrade the cause of
education by making it depend on the income
from a single source. His substitute was
accepted in full and Massachusetts therefore
stood pledged to support agricultural schools
by resource to the treasury.

He was elected state senator in 1882,
re-elected in 1883 and served in 1883-84. In
1882 the subject of agricultural education came
up in the shape of a bill which he introduced
to grant a charter to an agricultural society at
Cummington, Massachusetts, which, when it
failed of passage, he caused to be referred to
the next session of the general court in 1883,
and he was there to further depend and advance
liis bill. He caused it to be taken from the
files of the previous year and placed on the
regular order of the day. It was therefore



reported and referred to the regular committee
on agriculture. Here he was ably sustained
by Judge John E. Russell and the Agricultural
Society of Cummington was granted a charter.
Senator Barrus was elected its first president
and held the office for thirteen consecutive
years. The first capital stock of the concern
was provided by him in the shape of his per-
sonal note for $3,000, which increased to
$5,000. and in 1908 the society had a capital
of $10,000, with a fine class of fair buildings
and no debts. He was a member of the State
Board of Agriculture for six years and in
1889 was seretary of the board of control of
the Agricultural College. At the time of the
railroad troubles in Massachusetts, 1894-95,
he was a member of the governor's council,
serving during the administration of Gov-
ernor Greenhalge and Lieutenant-Governor
Wolcott. During 1896-97 he was one of a
commission of five members appointed by Gov-
ernor Wolcott to revise the tax laws of Mass-
achusetts, and they gave a very interesting and
truthful report of the farming towns of the
state. He was made a trustee of the State
Insane Asylum at Northampton, Massachu-
setts, served as chairman of the board and is
still serving. He was a promoter and charter
member, trustee and vice-president of the
Haydenville Savings Bank. He bought out
the heirs of the old homestead farm at Lithia,
Massachusetts, where he has a fine residence,
and the care of the farm is in the hands of
his son, George Levi Barrus, who is a practical
farmer, as well as a scientific agriculturist, a
graduate of the Massachusetts Agricultural
College, 1903; he was appointed captain
of Company A of the college. His military
service was acknowledged by the Grand Army
of the Republic, which organization has in him
a valued comrade and enthusiastic member of
the organization. The long and earnest battle
made by Senator Barrus in behalf of state
roads for use in the Berkshire hills rather than
ornament in the suburbs of large cities and
towns for the use of pleasure seekers, began
in i8ij| when he secured the first appropria-
tion for the building of a state road through
the town of Goshen and a second appropria-
tion in 1896, making a total of $37,000
expended for the benefit of the farmers in
transporting their produce over the hill to
market. In 1908 the road was completed by
a third appropriation and Senator Barrus saw
his good work finished in that direction to the
evident satisfaction of the long-suffering agri-
cultural population. But Senator Barrus is



MASSACHUSETTS.



1573



not resting the state road matter with this
Mr.gle accomplishment. His views of the bene-
fit of highways built and sustained by the com-
monwealth for the benefit of the product, of
the hill dwellers of Western Massachusetts,
rather than tor the railroad and automobile
interests of the more favored section, are being
largely exploited in the newspapers of Massa-
chusetts and will surely bear equally rich fruit.
His fii st presidential vote was cast for the
Scott and Graham electors in 1852, in 1856 for
Fremont and Dayton, following in i860 by a
ballot for the electors of the new Republican
party headed by Lincoln and Hamlin and every
Republican ticket from that time. He is from
choice as well as inheritance a Congregational-
ist, r-nri in his early manhood was a teacher and
superintendent in the Sabbath school.

He married, June 29, 1869, Emeline Parker,
daughter of John and Sarah (Parker) Wake-
field. Her father was a farmer in Reading,
Massachusetts, and she was born August 2,
1846. The children of Alvan and Emeline
Parker ( Wakefield ) Barrus was born in
Goshen, Massachusetts, as follows: 1. Lena
Wakefield, November 2, 1875, a graduate of
the Reading high school and from the State
Normal school, Bridgewater, Massachusetts,
studied domestic science in Boston and is a
teacher of domestic science in the Holyoke
nigh school. 2. George Levi, December 15,
1880, graduated at the Agricultural College
and now in charge of the home farm at Lithia,
Hampshire county, Massachusetts.



This name, borne by various
HOWARD distinguished men in America,

is found among the early col-
onists of New England, two of whom were the
brothers John and George Howard. John
always wrote his name Haward, and so did all
his descendants till after 1700, and the, early
town records conform to this spelling; but for
nearly two hundred years the name has invari-
ably been written Howard. It is worthy of
rema r k that the two names Hayward and Hel-
ward, which have always been known as dis-
tinct families, were uniformly pronounced
alike, Howard. They were perhaps the same
originally, and both Hayward.

( I ) John Howard, or Haward, came from
England when about fifteen years of age and
settled in Duxbury. He lixed in the family
of Captain Myles Standish, and in 1643 was
among those who were able to bear arms. In
1645 he is named as one of the fifty-four origi-
nal proprietors of the grant of land afterwards



known as Bridgewater, each settler having at
first a grant of a houselot of six acres on the
town river. From the Howard Genealogy by
Herman Floward, the following is learned of
John Howard: "In 1656 he was one of the
two surveyors of highways for his town, and
in 1657 he had taken the freeman's oath. He
was one of the fourteen men whose allotment
of land was in the easterly part of the grant.
He was one of the first military officers, and
was appointed ensign September 27, 1664. In
May, 1676. during King Philip's War, Ensign
John Howard, with twenty others, fought with
some Indians and took seventeen of them alive
with much plunder, and all returned without
serious injury. June 5, 1678, he was
deputy to the general court of Massa-
chusetts : also on the same date he was
appointed a selectman of his town. In
1683 he, with Thomas Hayward, was
a representative to the General Court.
October 2, 1689, he was promoted and received
his commission as a lieutenant. Mr. Howard
was a carpenter by trade. He lived in a house
which he built near the first meetinghouse. It
stood directly north of the house were B. B.
Howard now lives, on the corner of Howard
and River streets. * * This was the

first public house in Bridgewater, as Mr.
Howard was licensed to keep an ordinary or
tavern, in 1670, at this place. It would prob-
ably be difficult to find in the history of all the
taverns that have existed in Massachusetts,
another of which it can be said, as Judge
Mitchell says of the Howard House, that 'He
(John Howard), was licensed to keep an ordi-
nary or tavern, as early as 1670, and it is
remarkable that a public house has been kept
there by his descendants ever since, till within
a few years." This house was owned and man-
aged by John Howard and his direct descend-
ants for a period of one hundred and fifty-one
years. John Howard opened the tavern in
1670, and kept it thirty years, until his death
in 1700. His eldest son, John, then became
proprietor, conducting it twenty-six years,
until 1726. His son, Major Edward, was pro-
prietor from that date to 1771, for forty-five
years. His son. Colonel Edward, owned and
conducted the house for thirty-eight years,
from 1 77 1 to 1809, when he died. Then his
widow and his son, Captain Benjamin Beal
Howard, kept the house open twelve years,
until 1821. The house was taken down in
1838. A list of the distinguished guests of
this tavern, could we know their names, would
make exceedingly interesting reading. With-



1574



MASSACHUSETTS.



out doubt, one of the early distinguished vis-
itors was Mary ( Chilton ) Winslow ( the first
lady who came on shore from the Mayflower),
who was grandmother of the wife of the
second proprietor, John Howard. An occa-
sional guest was John Reed, D. D., who was
a member of Congress during Washington's
administration. Oakes Angier, a young lawyer,
Hon. William Baylies and Judge Howard were
other prominent and frequent visitors. Lieu-
tenant Howard died in 1700. His property
was appraised in October, the next year. It
consisted of about four hundred and fifty acres
of land, and his estate was valued at about
S40 pounds."

John Howard married Martha, a daughter
of Thomas Hayward, one of the original pro-
prietors of Bridge water, who came on the ship
"Hercules," in 1635, from Sandwich, county
of Kent, England, with five children and three
brothers. She died before 1703. The children
of this marriage were: John, James, Jonathan,
Elizabeth, Sarah, Bethiah and Ephraim.

(II) Major Jonathan, son of John and
Martha (Hayward) Howard, date of birth
unknown, died before 1739. When he was
twenty-one years of age or more in 1685, he
received one of the "Young Men's Shares," so
called, a grant of land given to young men
who previously owned no land. He inherited
from his father forty-nine acres of land where
lie resided and where Frank L. Howard now
lives, and also other landed property. He was
active in the affairs of the church, and in 1694
he and another were appointed by the town to
inspect and take notice of any disorder among
the young persons in the galleries of the church
on the Sabbath and to declare them by name
after the exercises were over. His estate was
settled and apportioned in 1739. He married
(first) January 8, 1689, Susanna, daughter of
Rev. James Keith, who probably died the same
year. He married (second) Sarah Dean, about
1692, and they had nine children: Jonathan,
Joshua, Susanna, Ebenezer, Seth, Abiel, Sarah,
Henry and Keziah.

(III) Jonathan (2), eldest child of Jona-
than (1) and Sarah (Dean) Howard, was born
in part of old Bridgewater, now West Bridge-
water, December 9, 1692, died there May 18,
1769. He married, July 30. 1719. Sarah,
daughter of John and Elizabeth (Ames)
Field, of Bridgewater, now West Bridgewater.
She died there September 20, 1777, aged sev-
enty-eight years. Their children were : Nathan,
Charity, Susanna, Sarah, Jonathan, Amy and
Betty.'



(IV) Nathan, son of Jonathan (2) and
Sarah (Field) Howard, was born March 17,
1720, died after October 14, 1799, the date
on which he made his will. His son Jonathan
was his executor. He married, June 11, 1746,
Jane, daughter of Major Edward and Mary
(Byram) Howard, of what is now West
Bridgewater. She died June 29, 1791, aged
seventy years. Their children were : Nathan,
Jonathan, Gamaliel, Bezaliel, Thaddeus, Arte-
mas, Sarah and Jane.

( V ) Rev. Bezaliel, fourth son of Nathan
and Jane (Howard) Howard, was born in
Bridgewater, November 22, 1753, died Janu-
ary 20, 1837. He was a corporal in Captain
Eliakim Howard's company, Colonel Edward
Mitchell's regiment, which marched from
Bridgewater to Braintree Neck, March 4, 1776,
and was in service six days. He became a
student at Harvard College and graduated from
that institution in 1 781, and afterward received
the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity,
and was made fellow of the American Acad-
emy. Three years after his graduation (1784),
he settled in the ministry at Springfield, where
he was pastor of the First Congregational
Church from 1785 to 1803, eighteen years. In
1819 he became a Unitarian. He is char-
acterized as having had "a conservative dis-
position," and as being "sincere, frank, and
quaint." He married (first) December 10,
T785, Lucinda, daughter of Jonathan Dwight,
of Springfield, who died March 18, 1788, aged
twenty. He married (second) Prudence,
daughter of Ezekiel and Prudence Williams,
of Wethersfield, Connecticut. He had five
children, one by the first wife and four by the
second: Lucinda Dwight, Margaret, John,
Charles, Ezekiel.

( VI ) Charles, son of Rev. Bezaliel and
Prudence ( Williams ) Howard, was born in
Springfield, March 21, 1794, died September
18, 1875. In politics he was a Democrat. He
was a lifelong resident of Springfield. He
married, June 21, 1824, Elizabeth Buckminster
Dwight, (see Dwight VI), who was born in
Springfield, February 18, 1801, died October
7, 1855. daughter of Colonel Thomas and Han-
nah ( Worthington) Dwight. They had ten
children : Lucinda Orne, Thomas Dwight,
Elizabeth Bridge, Sophia Worthington, Cath-
erine Lathrop, Mary Dwight, Sarah Bancroft,
Emily Williams, Amelia Peabody, John.

(VII) Rev. Thomas Dwight, son of Charles
and Elizabeth B. (Dwight) Howard, was born
in Springfield. December 25, 1826. His pre-
paratory education was obtained in the com-



MASSACHUSETTS.



1 575



rnon schools and in private institutions, and in
1844 he entered Harvard College, from which
he took the degree of A. B. in 1848. In the
subsequent three years he pursued the study
of theology in the same institution. He entered
upon the work of the ministry in December,
185 1, serving as pastor of the First Unitarian
Church until February I, 1862. in which year
he went to Hilton Head, South Carolina, where
lie became general superintendent of contra-
bands living on plantations. He served as chap-
lain of the Eighty-eighth United States Col-
ored Infantry from January 20, 1864 to
August 11, i8f>4; chaplain of the Seventy-
eighth United States Colored Infantry from
August 24, 1864, to January 6. 1866; was pas-
tor of churches successively in Berlin, Wis-
consin, from March 1, 1866, to May 1, 1868;
in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, July I, 1868, to Sep-
tember, 1869; in Petersham from May 1, 1870,
to July 1, 1874; secretary of commissioner of
prisons, with office at State House, Boston,
Massachusetts, from July 1, 1874. to January
1, 1879. March 5, 1880, he removed to
Charlestown, New Hampshire, where he was
in pastoral charge of a church for twenty-one
years, retiring November 1, 1901, to pass the
remainder of his life in Springfield, Massachu-
setts. He spent a full half century in preach-
ing the gospel and in educational work, was an
energetic, cheerful and successful worker in
the Master's Vineyard, and is now enjoying a
well-earned rest in the home of his boyhood,
surrounded by a few of his early friends and
many who have come to him in the later years.
He married, in Perry, Maine, June 8, 1854,
Sarah Eaton, of Eastport, Maine, born in
Perry, Maine, September 26, 1830, daughter
of Dan and Margaret ( Buhner ) Eaton (see
Eaton VIII).

(The Williams Une).

The immigrant ancestor of the principal
subjects of the following sketch was the pro-
genitor of a race unusually prolific of divines,
civilians and warriors of the name who have
honored the country of their birth. The num-
ber and high scharacter and strong influence
of the ministers of the gospel of this family
is remarkable. Among the distinguished men
of the family have been the founder of Will-
iams College, a bishop of the diocese of Con-
necticut, a president of Yale College, chief
justice, and many other learned and useful
men.

( I) Robert Williams appears by name among
the early members of the church in Roxbury,



Massachusetts, where he became a freeman,
May 2, 1638. The place of his birth and early
life was for a long time a matter of conjecture ;
but in 1893, two hundred years after his death,
there was found in Norwich, England, an
indenture of apprenticeship of Nicholas, son
of the late Stephen Williams, of Yarmouth,
cordwainer (shoemaker"), to Robert Williams,
and another record stating that Robert was in
1635 warden of the guild of cordwainers and
sealer of leather for the city of Norwich.
Later was found in the register of the church
of St. Nicholas at Great Yarmouth, a record
of the marriage of Stephen Williams and Mar-
garet Cooke, September 22, 1605. Also bap-
tisms of the following named children : Robert,
December 11, 1608; Nicholas. August 11, 1616;
John, February 2, 1618; Frances, June 10,
162 1. There was an elder sister, Ann ; Robert
was born in July, 1607; was baptized when
eighteen months old in December, 1608; was
married to Elizabeth Stalham probably before
1630, and had four children, two sons and two
daughters, born to him in England, all of
whom accompanied him to America. In 1905
it was discovered that Elizabeth Stalham was



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 41 of 145)