William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 46 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 46 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

removed to Woodstock, Vermont. 2. Samuel,
married, May 21, 1798, Silvia Dunham. 3.

Lucy. 4. Joshua, married Phebe . 5.

Levi, married, March 28, 1794, Anna Ray-
mond; (second) February 23, 1804, Hannah
Bump. 6. Alden. born about 1773, married
Ruth Peckham. 7. Amos, mentioned below.
8. Melinda, married ■ Horton.

(V) Amos, son of Joshua Raymond, was
born in Middleborough, about 1779, died at
Weymouth, April 13, 1845. He married, Oc-
tober 25, 1798, Margaret Vaughn. Children,
born at Middleborough: 1. Alvah, March 18,
1799, mentioned below. 2. Harriet, 1801,
married (first) August 27, 1818, Clifton
Hathaway, of Wareham ; (second) Cyrus
Raymond. 3. Darius, November, 1803, mar-
ried Elizabeth Healey and died 1872. 4.
Elias Vaughn, July 30, 1806, married Rhoda
B. Raymond. 5. Joanna, November 24, 1808,
married. January 7, 1830, Lewis Raymond.
6. Enos D., December 31, 181 1, married, 1840,
Mary J. Pratt. 7. Cyrus, died young. 8. Lydia
Hathaway, April 6, 1816, married, October
25, 1835, George Bates; she died 1847. 9-
Lucy Ann, June 10, 1819, married, August
28, 1836, Benjamin Taft ; after his death she
married George Bates, her brother-in-law, see
above. 10. Betsey Allen, October 10, 1821,
married, November 23, 1842, Samuel Cush-
man. 11. Amos, February 9, 1824, married

(first) Eliza ; (second) ;

(third) Susan Blackwell.

(VI) Deacon Alvah, son of Amos Raymond,
was born March 18, 1799. He was educated
in the common schools, and at the age of six-
teen enlisted in the army and went to the
defense of Plymouth in the war of 1812, for
which he received a LTnited States pension
and after his death his widow received it till



her death. In 1818 he went to Weymouth and
learned the trade of boot and shoe maker at
Porter and later engaged in the boot and shoe
business. He was a prominent man in the
town, a member of the state legislature and
selectman of the town eighteen years. He
also served as overseer of the poor, and as
justice of the peace up to his death. He was
active in the building of the old church, driv-
ing the first stake in its construction, and for
many years was a trustee and deacon. His
picture still hangs in the church. He died at
East Weymouth, 1882. He married (first)
in 1820, Susan B. Bates, daughter of Captain
Robert Bates, of the revolution. He mar-
ried (second) Patia Bates. Children of first
wife: 1. Robert Bates, born 1821, married
Lavinia P. Nash. 2. William Waterman,
1823, married, March 8, 1845, Adeline W.
Pratt. 3. George Fox, 1826, married Susan
Burrell. Children of second wife: 4. Alvah,
1829, married Abigail White; (second) Mary
Caton. 5. Susan Bates, 1831, married George
D. Raymond. 6. Francis Blake, 1834, died
1837. 7. Francis Tudor, 1838, married Mary
W. Bartlett. 8. Henry Blake, January 11,

1841, mentioned below. 9. Abby Augusta,

1842, died 1845. 10. Abby Augusta, 1849,
married William F. Rice. 11. Benjamin Taft,
1852, married Leona Gushing.

(VII) Henry Blake, son of Deacon Alvah
Raymond, was born at East Weymouth, Jan-
uary 11, 1 84 1, died there June 29, 1908. He
was educated in the common schools of his
native town and learned the trade of stitcher
and fitter in the shoe factory there. He then
worked with his father, and was a manufac-
turer on a modest scale, and when his father
retired he succeeded to the business and con-
ducted it successfully. He retired some years
before his death. He was a member and for a
period of forty years was tyler of Orphans
Hope Lodge of Free Masons, declining re-
election in 1905 on account of ill health. He
possessed the gift of music, and for many
years often sang with his wife at church and
at many other gatherings. He was an attend-
ant of the Congregational church, and a mem-
ber of the Temple of Honor for twenty-five
years. He married, May 12 1865, Cemira A.,
born August 25, 1845, at South Weymouth,
daughter of Daniel Lawton. Mrs. Raymond
is an active church and temperance worker,
and has contributed much by her activity and
labors to promote the increase of total abstin-
ence in the community. She has been a mem-
ber of some temperance movement all her

life, from the age of nine years when she
sang in Tiemont Temple, Boston, with the
Band of Hope. She has been a member of the
Women's Christian Temperance Union for
twenty years, and was county president of
Norfolk county eight years, superintendent
of the Loyal Legion work for fifteen years,
and declined that office longer, although urged
to accept it. She has been especially zealous
in teaching temperance- to the children. She
has also taught singing to children, has taught
the primary class in the Sunday school, given
concerts with the children for over twenty
years, and in fact for nearly four decades has
taken an active part in everything pertaining
to the welfare of the children. 'Probably no
one in this section has accomplished so much
good along temperance lines as has Mrs. Ray-

Thomas Lawton, or Laughton, grandfather
1 if Mrs. Raymond, was born in Hallowell,
Maine, and settled in Patten. Maine, where
he took up various grants of land. He mar-
ried Mary Adams, a native of Groton, Massa-
chusetts, who died at Patten, aged ninety-
five years. They had eleven children.

Daniel, son of Thomas Lawton or Laugh-
ton, was born in Hallowell, Maine, 1820, died
at East Weymouth, Massachusetts, 1861. He
removed to Patten thence to Weymouth,
where he was a shoemaker during his active
life. He was a member of the Congregational
church at Hallowell, Maine, also Methodist
church of East Weymouth, and sang in the
choir of both. He married Ann Maria Bur-
rell, born at East Weymouth, died August 29,
1890, in her native town. Children: 1.
Cemira A., born August 25. 1845, married
Henry Blake Raymond mentioned above. 2.
Maria A., born at Boston, 1850, married
Henry H. Burrell, of Whitman Massachusetts.
3. Emma F., born Boston, 1855, married S.
E. Burrell, of Brockton, Massachusetts.

More than a hundred years
GANTER ago the Ganter family came
from the Black Forest section
of Baden and settled in the little town of
Kenzingen on the banks of the Eltz river,
some fifteen miles north-northwest of Frei-
burg ; and here they lived and have led the
lives of good citizens ever since, being by
occupation farmers. The Ganter family
comes of a long line of representative Ger-
mans whose self-sustaining qualifications
made them worthy citizens in every com-
munity where they resided. They were affili-

. ■

. '/f // ry ._ 'J. *y?a // /// 1 // //



ated for a great many years with the Lutheran

( I ) Jacob Ganter, the eldest of five chil-
dren, two sons and three daughters, was born
in Kenzingen, Baden, Germany, about 1810,
his father having come there from the Black
Forest regions, and the two generations were
successful tillers of the soil for many years.
His father died at the age of sixty-five, and
his mother at the age of sixty. In early life
he gave his attention to farming, but was cut
short in the prime of life dying in 1850, at the
age of forty. He married, in his native town,
Amelia Lieneman, born in Kenzingen, Baden,
August 27, 1821. She survived her husband,
and conducted the farm until her death in
December, 1895. Children: 1. Child, died
young. 2. Frank, born February 21, 1845,
mentioned below 3. Elizabeth October 21,
1849, married, in Kenzingen, Carl Gulat, a
native of the town, who became proprietor of
the leading hotel, noted as a resort called
"Rebstock" for more than a hundred years ;
Mr. Gulat was known as a famous landlord
and died there in March, 1899, and his widow
survives him ; children : Frank Gulat, came
to the United States and resides 'on Dan forth
street, Jamaica Plain. Massachusetts, and has
twice married and has three children ; one
other son and three daughters.

(II) Frank, son of Jacob Ganter, was born
in Kenzingen, Baden, Germany, February 21.
1845. He received a good education in the
schools of his native town and some instruc-
tion in the trade schools. He was a butcher
by occupation, and ambitious to make the most
of life. Learning of the opportunities for the
young man in America, he decided to try his
fortunes in a new land. He went to Boston,
Massachusetts, and established himself in
Roxbury. Being without other employment
at first, he found work as a fresco painter and
succeeded in a remarkable degree. He had
never learned the trade, but was naturally of
an artistic temperament, and his employer in-
formed him that any lack of experience he
had was made up by his natural ability. He
worked for two months as a painter. At last
he saw an opportunity to start in business,
and September 28, 1872, opened a meat store
on Boylston street, near Boylston station,
Jamaica Plain. He succeeded so well that
after three years he purchased a place at 187
Lamartine street, near the location of his first
store. By attending strictly to business and
by using honest methods he increased his
trade and accumulated enough to build. In

1886 he built a fine substantial brick block
upon his property, which is a credit to the
business section. His business steadily pros-
pered and at last he placed it in the hands of
his son and retired from active work. He
purchased a beautiful home at 39 Burroughs
street, not far from Jamaica pond, and here
he enjoys a well-earned rest. In 1891 Mr.
Ganter visited his old home in Germany, mak-
ing a visit of three months. He went again
in 1898 and took his family, traveling for
three months through Switzerland, France
and Germany. Mr. Ganter is a man who has
the respect of all his townsmen, and one who
has taken an interest in the advancement of
the community and of all that tends to better
it. He is greatly interested in charities, and
has always contributed liberally to all worthy
objects and religious work. He married, May 4,
1875, Margaretha Dorothea Theresa Carsten-
sen (see Carstensen III). Her mother, who was
born September 26, 1823, makes her home
with her daughter, and is still active, despite
her years. Children: I. Child, died young.
2. Frank William, born October 28, 1876,
succeeded to his father's business as a meat
and produce dealer ; married Elizabeth Down-
ing, of Maine. 3. Katherine, Februarry 14,
1878, married Jacob Helt, a successful com-
mercial traveler in Boston, and had Dorothea
Helt, born September 1. 1907. 4. Carl Emil,
December 7, 1886, graduate of high school ;
unmarried, lives at home.

(The Carstensen Line).

The Carstensen family is of ancient German
origin, tracing their ancestry back to the four-
teenth century, to ancestors of noble birth.
The family has always been prominent and
held important positions under the govern-

(I) Hans Carstensen lived in the northern
part of Schleswig Holstein, province of Prus-
sia, Germany, and was the owner of one of the
largest and finest estates in the province. He
married Margaretha Dorothea Petersen, who
died in 1866, aged eighty-two. They had an
only son, Claus Peter, mentioned below.

(II) Claus Peter, son of Hans Carstensen,
was born in Schleswig Holstein in 18 19. He
received a good education and in 1838, at the
early age of nineteen, married Katherine Mar-
garetha Detlefsen, the handsome daughter of
a neighboring land owner. The wedding was
celebrated with much ceremony, the festivities
lasting three days. He inherited his father's
fine estate. He was a volunteer in the war



with Denmark in 1848, and not being willing
to accept the Danish rule was forced with
others to flee, going to Panama. He lost his
life the next year, at the age of thirty, from
exposure, and his estate was confiscated with
the exception of a small portion sufficient to
provide a home for his widow and children
and his old mother until 1864, when Schleswig
Holstein again reverted to Germany. The
Danish language had been used in the church
and schools, and his mother, not willing to
have her son's children learn the Danish
tongue, had private tutors for them, and they
were confirmed in the German Lutheran
church. The children were: I. Hans Lud-
wig, now a prominent coal dealer in Cam-
bridge, Massachusetts. 2. Ferdinand, deceased.
3. Theodore, deceased. 4. William Lawrence,
now lives in Boston. 5. Margaretha Dor-
othea Theresa, mentioned below.

(Ill) Margaretha Dorothea Theresa, only
daughter of Claus Peter Carstensen was born
in Schleswig Holstein, Germany, October 21,
1848. She received her education in private
schools and under private tutors. During the
Franco-Prussian war in 1870, she lost her
betrothed. The following year she and her
mother went to Boston to visit her brothers,
who were in business there. The visit was
prolonged and May 4, 1875, she married
Frank Canter, of Boston (see Ganter II).

The revocation of the Edict of
VINTON Nantes was a pernicious meas-
ure for France, but it gave to
America a valuable addition to its citizenry,
the Bayards of Delaware, Chief Justice John
Jay, the Bowdoins. the Dannas and Peter
Faneuil, of Massachusetts, and Harry Lau-
rens, of North Carolina. The part these played
in the development of our political and judicial
history is a no inconsiderable one The Vin-
tons were another of the Huguenot stock who
came over to America from sunny France to
escape persecution for religion's sake. Vin-
ton is a name rooted deeply in the geography
of Britain. There is a Venton in Cornwall,
a Winton in Suffolk and Allwinton in North-
umberland. Vinton, Venton and Winton were
convertible terms. Vinton Latinized was
Wintonia as the Latins have no W and that
was the Roman name of Winchester or Win-
chestre. The monks changed it to Wintan.
Wint or vint comes from went, Celtic for
river. There was a Peter de Wintonia in
England in 1275 and a Johanas de Wintonia
in 1306. In France the name was Vintonne

and there was a Petrius de Vintonne in
Rheims in 1326. In view of finding this as
a geographical and family name in England
some authorities assert that the family were
originally attached to the soil of Britain as
Celts, that they crossed the channel to France
at some indefinite period and recrossed to
England again. The family anyway are of
great antiquity, being traceable in its elements
back to the time of Christ. John Vinton, of
Lynn, was undoubtedly a Frenchman who
did not speak English very well, and a Hugue-
not refugee. He named his son Blaise and
no true Englishman would so name his son
with the bitterness then existing between the
two countries. If his ancestors way back
came from England, as no doubt they did, the
name had become Gallicized and the family in
habits and thoughts were decidedly French.

(I) John Vinton was in Lynn, Massa-
chusttts, in 1648, when he had a child born.
The next mention of him was in 1649 when
he was fined five shillings in court for scold-
ing a neighbor. This is nothing to his dispar-
agement. Men were often arbitrarily punished
for no offence at all in those old "blue law"
times. Trivial matters that would be passed
over as of no account were subject to severe
penalty. John was quick natured, due to his
warm Hueguenot blood, and was probably
glib of tongue. He could not speak the Eng-
lish language, nor could he understand readily
what was said to him and was in consequence
imposed upon in some trade or he fancied
that some of his rights were being infringed
upon. This may have caused the eruption
between him and his neighbors. There is an
elevation in Lynn called Vinton hill and it was
likely named after our ancestor. It is by some
thought that John moved to Maiden later in
life. The forename of his wife was Ann.
Their children : Eleanor, born in 1648 ; John,
mentioned in this sketch ; William, April,
1652 ; Blaise, April 22, 1654 ; Ann, April 4,
1656: Elizabeth, January, 1657; Sarah, Sep-
tember 16, 1662.

(II) John (2). son of John (1) and Ann
Vinton, was born in Lynn, March 2, 1650,
died in Woburn, Massachusetts, November
13. 1727. He went to Maiden in 1677. He
was a "forgeman," a worker in iron. He was
a man of capacity and energy and acquired
quite a little property, holding a good position
in society. In 1695 he bought land in Woburn
consisting of orchard, arable and pasture.
Also meadow lands and upland lying on both
sides of the Mystic river, also twenty acres



of woodland, also a mansion house and gar-
den, also one-eighth of a saw-mill, also an-
other parcel at Charlestown End, now Stone-
ham. This indicates that he was a heavy land
holder. He lived on the Mystic river, near
Stoneham line and was near where Deacon
Stephen Richardson's saw-mill and residence
afterwards were. John is supposed to have
lived in Braintree for a while. His name ap-
pears in real estate transactions as follows :
April 9. 1709, he bought land in Woburn of
Isaac Richardson in consideration of six shil-
lings. July 19, 1709, he bought of Nathaniel
Richardson for fifteen pounds meadow and
upland in Woburn. Same date is a quitclaim
deed between Nathaniel and Benjamin Rich-
ardson and John Vinton, "having had dif-
ferences and contests and contentions con-
cerning some certain parcels of lands now in
their possessions and improvement and the
said Nathaniel Richardson and John Vinton
claim by virtue of a purchase from Jonathan
Richardson et als, and while the said Benjamin
Richardson by virtue of the last will of his
honored father. Now to put an end to their
differences the aforesaid parties severally re-
lease and quitclaim to each other the lands
severally in each others possession." John's
will was dated January 15, 1721, and his son
John administered. The inventory was one
hundred and fourteen pounds. He married,
August 26, 1677, Hannah, daughter of
Thomas and Rebecca Green, of Maiden. She
was born February 24, 1659, died in 1741.
Her will was dated April 21, 1729, and proved
November 23, 1741, her son Thomas admin-
istering. Their children were : John, men-
tioned in this sketch ; Hannah, born January
26, 1681 ; Rebecca, March 26, 1683; Thomas,
July 31, 1686; Mary, August 20, 1689, died
young; Mary, January 2, 1692; Samuel, May
3, 1695; Abiathar, May 10, 1700.

(Ill) Captain John (3), eldest son of John
(2) and Hannah (Green) Vinton, was born
in Woburn in 1680, died in Dudley, Massa-
chusetts. 1760. He was an active trader in
real estate, there are over thirty real estate
transactions in which he was interested on the
Middlesex records. He resided within the
present limits of Stoneham, then called
Charlestown End, and his house was situated
on the old road to Boston, near the outlet of
Spot pond, and near the present village of
Wyoming. When Stoneham was incorpor-
ated the usual order from the general court
was addressed to John Vinton as the prin-
cipal inhabitant directing him to issue a war-

rant for the first town meeting. He advanced
more money and did more than any other man
for the chartering of the borough. He was
on the first board of selectmen and held the
office for the years 1726-27-31-34-35. He was
moderator for a long time and was very often
employed on public business and placed by
his townsmen on all important committees.
He was on the committee to build a meeting
house, to select a site, also to procure a min-
ister. He represented the town in the general
court of 1734. He was the highest taxpayer
in town and lieutenant of the trainband in
1720 and made captain in 1723. He was com-
missioned a justice of the peace in 1734, and
in March of that year was received into full
communion in the church, November 20,
1738, he sold for two thousand five hundred
and fifty pounds his farm of two hundred and
seventy acres in Stoneham, where he had
lived so long, where his children were born
and some of them buried and also the mother
of his children. He turned his back on all
these associations, penetrating into the wil-
derness in search of a new home, locating in
what is now Dudley in Worcester county. It
required a good deal of courage the sundering
of so many ties and the loosening of the
"silver chords of affection," to thus break
away ; for he was getting old. The object of
this move was to give his children a better
chance in the world where land was cheaper.
He bought of James Allen, of Boston, nine
hundred acres in the new settlement. His
abilities were soon recognized in his new
abode, and in 1745 he was made moderator
and again in 1749. In 1740 he was sent to
Boston to address the general court to see
if the province tax and fine could be abated.
He continued to deal in land and we find his
name in the Worcester records several times.
In 1741 he seems to have mortgaged a portion
of his Dudley possessions to James Bowdoin,
of Boston. Whether reverses had overtaken
the captain in his old age we do not know.
Captain Vinton was a man of great ability
and energy, a leader of men and affairs wher-
ever his lot was cast. He was one of the town
builders and founder of an enterprising race
who inherited many of his manly qualities.
He wrote a fair legible hand and this was
quite an accomplishment in an age when few
could write their name. He died intestate
and the appraisal of his personalty was ninety-
one pounds. He was thrice married. First
to Abigail, daughter of Stephen and Abigail
(Wyman) Richardson, and granddaughter of

gl& W



Samuel, one of the original settlers of
Woburn. She died at Charlestown End and
was the mother of nine children. Second to
Abigail, daughter of Major James Converse,
an officer of distinguished merit and reputa-
tion in the Indian wars. She was but fifteen
when Captain Vinton married her and he was
forty. She died in Dudley. Third to Han-
nah, daughter of Nathaniel and Mary Rich-
ardson, of Woburn, and relict of Timothy
Baldwin, who was the ancestor of that Bald-
win who grew the famous apple of the
name. Children : Abigail, born December 28,
1704; John, June 26. 1706: Hannah, March
9, 1707; Mary. August 15, 1709; Melatiah,
October 29, 1711; Joseph, July 24, 17,14;
Rebecca, March 15, 1716; Thomas, 1717; and
Benoni, June 12, 1720. Children by Abigail
Converse : Joshua, mentioned in this sketch,
and Phebe, May 24, 1724.

(IV) Joshua, son of Captain John (3) and
Abigail (Converse) Vinton, was born in Stone-
ham. January 5, 1722, died in Dudley in 1772.
He accompanied his father to Dudley in 1738,
then a lad of sixteen. He died intestate, and
the appraisal amounted to one thousand nine
hundred and seventeen pounds, his widow
Mehitable administering. He married Mary
(Polly) , of Dudley, in 1751, and (sec-
ond) Mehitable Edmunds, of Dudley,- April 23,
1762. Children: Mary, born December 29,
1751 ; Joshua, September 5, 1753: Abigail,
October 13, 1755. His children by the second
union were: Jabez, January 3, 1763; Sus-
anna, August 23. 1764: Ebenezer, mentioned
in this sketch; Patience. September 27, 1767;
and Lucretia.

(V) Ebenezer, son of Joshua Vinton, born
January 3, 1766, at Dudley, Massachusetts,
removed to Wardsboro from Dudley ; he mar-
ried and had a son Joshua Bliss, mentioned in
this sketch.

(VI) Joshua Bliss, son of Ebenezer Vin-
ton, was born in Wardsboro, Windham
county, Vermont, March 16, 1798, died in
Northampton, Massachusetts, May 21, 1869.
He worked on a farm at fifteen years of age
for $5.50 a month. He came to Springfield
in 1824 and entered the employ of Moses
Chapman who then kept the Exchange Hotel.
In 1826 he conducted the hotel in P.rimfield
built in 1808, and afterwards went to North-
ampton as clerk in Warner's Coffee House,
which property he purchased in 183 1 and was
its proprietor until 1840. That year he came
to Springfield and bought the Hampden
House. In the spring of 1842 he went to

Brooklyn, New York, and was engaged as a
broker in Wall street. He later returned to
Springfield and retired from business with a
handsome fortune. He was one of the first
directors of the Agawam Bank. Mr. Vinton
gave $4,000 to the building fund of the Church
of Unity. The course of his long life of un-
tiring industry was regulated and controlled
by manly uprightness and staunch integrity.
Mr. Vinton was universally respected and his
death widely and deeply regretted. He mar-
ried Mary Ewell, of Chesterfield, Massa-
chusetts. They had two sons: I. Edward
I Hiss, born August 21, 1833. 2. Charles
Ewell, born December 9, 1838, died January
28, 1883. He married Phebe Adams, and
they had tw y o daughters : Mrs. Frank R. Mac-
kenzie, who resides on a beautiful estate on
Franklin street, and Mary Alice, died at

Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 46 of 145)