William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 51 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 51 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Esther ( Hale) Newton, was born January 13,
1832. He studied at Williston Seminary,
entered Amherst College, 1855, then after a
year and a half transferred his connection to
Dartmouth, where he was graduated in 1859.
During his college course he taught school
each winter and thus in part earned the means
to pay the expenses of his education. Imme-
diately after leaving college he was elected
principal of the Thomas grammar school in
Worcester, the largest school in the city, and
filled that position for the following five years.
In 1864 he went to Holyoke and in company
with his elder brother, Daniel II., and his
younger brother, John C, and others, incor-
porated and organized the Hampden Paper
Company, the third industry of its kind in the
town at that time. The company's mill had a
capacity of two tons of paper per day. Mr.
Newton's connection with the concern was
that of business manager and treasurer, which
duties he performed until 1866. He then sold










as i







ch i


2 i











l 5>

































162 1

his interest in the enterprise and in company
with Calvin Taft, his father-in-law, secured
the incorporation of the Franklin Paper Com-
pany, building a mill having a daily capacity
of three tons of envelope and cardboard
papers. In 1879 he organized the Weuregan
Paper Company, capital, $100,000, and built
the Wauregan mill, having a daily capacity of
six tons of writing and envelope papers ; this
mill was owned and operated by members of
the Newton family: in 1891-92 the Norman
Paper Company, capital, $300,000, was organ-
ized by Mr. Newton and other parties and a
mill was built having a capacity of twelve tons
of writing and envelope papers, and was oper-
ated by members of the Newton family. Both
of the above mills were sold to the American
Writing Paper Company in July, 1899. I' 1
1880 he joined with his brothers. Moses,
Daniel If. and John C, in organizing the
Chemical Paper Company, and became presi-
dent of the company on the death of John C,
in 1809. The present capacity of the mill is
about thirty tons of card and box board papers
and twenty tons of writing and envelope paper
per day. In 1875 he joined Moses Newton,
James Ramage and George A. Clark in organ-
izing the Newton Paper Company. Thus for
forty-five years has James Hale Newton been
actively identified with the industrial growth
of Holyoke, and he is to be counted with the
men who were pioneers in the work of indus-
trial development in that now famous manu-
facturing city. Nor have his energies and
means been directed in manufacturing channels
alone, for in 1872 he aided in organizing the
Mechanics" Savings Rank of Holyoke, serving
as its president for twelve years ; was a mem-
ber of the board of directors of the Third
National Bank of Springfield from 1873 to
1882; with others he organized the City Rank
of Holyoke. in which he was a director until
1884, when he with others organized the Home
National Bank of Holyoke, of which he has
been president ever since; in 1885 he, with
others, organized the People's Savings Bank,
of which he was a trustee for several years.
He was chairman of the school committee
from 1865 to 1868;. represented his district
in the state legislature for the year 1877;
served on the board of public works for the
year 1897; has been a director in the Holyoke
City Hospital since its organization ; has been
connected with the Holyoke City Library as
trustee since its incorporation. He has been
active in church work ; was chairman of the
parish committee of the Second Congrega-

tional church for six years, and superintendent
of its Sunday school for one year. He has
always taken a keen interest in college affairs,
and was president of the Dartmouth Western
Massachusetts Alumni Association for two
years. He was a member of the Connecticut
Valley Congregational Club from its organiza-
tion and president of the club one year.

Mr. Newton married (first) November 23,
1863, Susan Wadsworth, daughter of Calvin
Taft, of Worcester. She was born in 1841
and died in 1900. Children: I. Edward Taft,
born December 15, 1864. 2. Frederick Hale,
February 2^, 1866. 3. Elias Taft, January
22, 1868. 4. James Bertram, August n, 1876.
He married (second) June 29, 1904, Emily
Norcross, born in Winchester, Massachusetts,
daughter of Warren Fisher and Emily (Col-
burn) Norcross. Mrs. Newton was reared
in Wellesley Hills; graduated at Wellesley
College A. B., 1880, A. M., 1884; studied later
at the Harvard Annex and the American
Schools of Archaeology at Athens and Rome.
She taught Latin in Smith College from 1889
to 1904, holding the position of associate pro-
fessor when she resigned. Mrs. Newton takes
an active part in social, literary and charitable
work in the city.

Dwight Ripley Smith, president
SMITH of the Springfield Fire & Marine

Insurance Company, of Spring-
field, Massachusetts, is descended from Solo-
mon Smith, who was born in Ipswich, Massa-
chusetts, a son of an English emigrant. He
removed in the early half of the eightenth cen-
tury to Hampton, Connecticut.

(II) Solomon (2), son of Solomon (i)
Smith, was born in Hampton, Connecticut,
August 31, 1 761. He married, January 16,
1787, Sarah Durgee, born September 13, 1766.

(III) Harvey, son of Solomon (2) Smith,
was born March 29, 1792., in Hampton. He
was a farmer and blacksmith. He married
the Widow Achsah Rurnham Ashley, born
October 19. 1795. Children: Harriett, born
in January, 1821, married I. E. Harvey, April
8, 1846. Cornelia, September 6, 1822, died
young. Cornelia, June 7, 1824, married John
R. Tweedy. Dwight Ripley, mentioned below,
fohn N., August 11, 1830, died January 19,


( I\ ) Dwight Ripley, fourth child of Har-
vey and Achsah Smith, was born in Hampton,
Connecticut, May 30, 1826. He was educated
in Bacon Academy, in Colchester, Connecticut,
and moved to Springfield, Massachusetts, in



1868, where he died April 15, 1880. Mr. Smith's
earlier business life was spent in mercantile
pursuits in Colchester and Hartford, Connec-
ticut, where he was also general agent of the
Hartford City Fire Insurance Company. He
came to Springfield to reside in 1868, when he
became vice-president and general manager
of the Springfield Fire and Marine Insurance
Company, and in April, 1874, he was elected
president of the same, holding that position
until his death. He was also one of the
directors of the Massachusetts Mutual Life
Insurance Company and the Agawam National
Bank. The estimation in which Mr. Smith
was held among insurance men has been
shown by the prominent and responsible posi-
tions he has held in connection with the
National Board of Underwriters, and it is only
justice to say that he was one of the best and
safest insurance managers in the country. The
best possible evidence of his skill and tact as
an insurance manager was afforded in the fact
that notwithstanding the very severe losses in
the great fires at Chicago and Boston in 1871-
"2 and the critical period of business depres-
sion from 1873 to 1877. when many insurance
companies failed and withdrew from business,
the Springfield Fire and Marine Insurance
Company continuously prospered under his
direction and its stock steadily appreciated in
value. During Mr. Smith's administration,
from 1874 to 1880, this company not only paid
to its stockholders its regular cash dividends
but the capital stock was increased from
$500,000 to Si, 000,000 by stock dividends
from the company's earnings. He had the
rare ability of knowing almost instinctively
what not to insure, and his good judgment in
that direction has been worth a great deal to
his company, and his judgment of men and
wise selection of the best class of agents to
represent the company was of even greater
value than his knowledge of risks. He was
a warm and constant friend, and few men
made friends easier or retained them longer.
In all matters pertaining to the interest and
permanent welfare of the community he took
a quick and lively interest, and the death of
such a man, who so well sustained himself in
all the relations of business, social and relig-
ious life, is a public bereavement, and makes
the community the poorer in its very best
wealth — good men. The directors of the Fire
and Marine Insurance Company adopted the
following resolutions on the death of its late
president :

"Resolved, That the death of Dwight R.

Smith, our late president, is a great loss to
the company and to the community ; that to
his large experience, he added good judgment,
prudence, a wise zeal and strict integrity in
the discharge of his responsible duties as the
president of this corporation ; that he was
courteous in manner, amiable and sincere in
all the relations of life; a good citizen, and a
devout Christian, whose life was a success
worthy to be envied, and an example worthy
to be followed."

The Agawam National Bank also adopted
the following resolutions :

"The board of directors wish to place upon
record their deep sense of the loss sustained
by the business community, and particularly
this bank, by the death of Dwight R. Smith,
for many years a faithful and conscientious
member of this board.

"They wish to assure his family that they
svmpathize with them in their personal loss,
which is shared with them by all who were
connected with him in business or society.

"And we do hereby vote that we attend the
funeral in a body.

"Resolved, That this board tenders to the
family of the deceased, its sincere sympathy
in their great and irreparable loss.

"Resolved, That these resolutions be entered
upon the records of this company, and that
a copy be sent to the family of our departed

In religious belief Mr. Smith was a Con-
gregationalism being a member of the South
Congregational Church of Springfield. He
married Mary Louise Avery, (see Avery).
Children : Cornelia Achsah, born in Colches-
ter. November 17. 1854, married, October 17,
1877, Samuel A. Bangs, of Springfield.
Charles Dwight, mentioned below. Mary
Louise, born June 25, 1866, died January 17,
1876. George Freeman, born July 17, 1870,
was drowned at Block Island, August 1, 1897.
He was a graduate of Amherst College in 1894.

(V) Charles Dwight, eldest son of Dwight
Ripley and Mary Louise (Avery) Smith, was
born in Hampton, November 26, 1861, and
resides in Springfield. He received a high
school education and was for fifteen years
connected with the insurance company of
which his father was president, acting as
special agent for New England states. He is
a member of the Winthrop Club. Mr. Smith
married Jennie A. Bunnell, of Blairstown,
New Jersey. Her father was a prominent
man in this town and one of the founders of
Blair Academy.



Avery is a good name to conjure
AVERY with. The line contains such
names as John D. Rockefeller,
whose grandfather, Godfrey Rockefeller,
married Lucy Avery ; and the Hon. Schuyler
Colfax, vice-president of the United States.
The record of the achievements of its scions
is a noble one and its ramifications extend into
every state in the Union.

( 1 ) Christopher Avery, emigrant ancestor,
was born in England about 1590. The family
is said to have been native to Cornwall. It is
not known where he made his landfall or
when, but he was selectman of Gloucester,
Massachusetts, in 1646-52-54, and he took the
oath of allegiance and fidelity, June 29, 1653.
Also he was constable and clerk of the market.
He was fined twenty pounds at Ipswich court
for living apart from his wife. Upon his peti-
tion to the court, being aged and poor and
having no means to procure his wife hither,
his fine was remitted. He left her in England.
In 1658 he sold land in Gloucester and
removed to Boston, buying real estate in what
is now the center of the city. The deed was
acknowledged before Governor Endicott. For
this he paid forty pounds and its location was
where the present post office building stands
and near what was afterwards the birthplace
of Benjamin Franklin. He removed to New
London, Connecticut, with his son James,
and died there March 12, 1679.

( JI ) James, only son of Christopher
Avery, was born in England in 1620, died in
New London, April 18, 1700. He was granted
land October 19. 1650, a town lot on Cape
Ann Lane and in addition "Little Owle
Meadow." In 1652 he was granted land in
South Groton, Connecticut, and in 1653
secured a farm on the "Pocketannock Grants"
on the river Thames. In 1684 he bought the
"Unadorned church and watchtower of the
wilderness" out of the timber of which he
constructed a dwelling and it was standing
until about 1902, when it was destroyed by
fire. He was active in military affairs. This
part of Connecticut was the seat of the Pequot
war and in this strife he took a prominent
part. In 1665 he was made lieutenant of "ye
train band." He was one of the commission
to lay out a reservation for the Coassotuck
Indians, and for this service he was allowed
five pounds. In 1668 he was chosen one of a
committee to settle the boundary line with the
Uncas. When danger was apprehended from
the Dutch along the Connecticut coast, Cap-
tain Avery was ordered to prepare for the

defense. During the King Philip war, he had
charge of the three towns of New London,
Stonington and Lyme, and also the friendly
Pequots. In the stubborn fight at South
Kingston, Rhode Island, on Sunday, December
19, 1675, against the desperate Narragansetts,
Captain Avery commanded the Pequot con-
tingent. At a later engagement the chief
sachem Canonchet was captured and the
power of the mighty tribe which had long
terrorized the community was humbled and
permanently broken. In these culminating
events of a great war drama. Captain Avery
acted a foremost part. No enemy ever saw
his back ; he faced the foe in every emergency.
As a civilian, he was equally prominent, being
selectman twenty years. One of the acts of
his official life deserves especial mention,
inasmuch as he ordered "that for the good of
after posterity, the town book be kept with an
Alphabet where all acts passed shall hereafter
be recorded, and we agree that all old books
be searched into what is material concerning
the public good to be drawn." In 1663 he
was appointed by the general court a commis-
sioner of the peace to try petty offences, an
office corresponding to a justice of the peace.
He was twelve times elected a member of
the general court. His tax rate was two hun-
dred and thirty-six pounds. Likewise he was
very active in ecclesiastical affairs. In 1677
he was one of the building committee for
erecting a new church in place of the outgrown
Blinman church, and in 1683 he was on a
committee to send a letter to Rev. Mr. Mather
for advice in regard to a successor to Rev.
Mr. Bradford. Captain James Avery was a
very remarkable man. Living as he did in
stirring times, he was a leader among strong
men, enjoying their confidence and respect be-
cause he deserved them. Especially is it to be
noted that, although the state then took cogniz-
ance of affairs which we now call private and
interfered in the details of family life and
personal relations in a way that would not be
tolerated now, he was never censured or "pre-
sented" for any shortcoming or alleged der-
eliction of duty or propriety. Eminent in all
the relations of life, his descendants look upon
him with pride and affection." He married,
November 10, 1643, Joanna Greenshade, of
Boston, who died in 1714. Children: Han-
nah, James. Mary, Thomas, John, Rebecca,
Jonathan, Christopher and Samuel.

(Ill) James (2), eldest son of James (1)
and Joanna (Greenshade) Avery, was born
December 16, 1648, in Gloucester, died in



Groton, Connecticut, August 22, 1748. He
was a man of affairs in his township, heing
deputy for the general court at Hartford for
New London six times., commissioner of the
peace, captain of the train band and advisor
and counsellor of the Pequot Indians. Also
he was a committee on boundary disputes be-
tween his town and the adjoining one, and
on the location of public lands. He and his
wife joined the Church of Christ in 1672. He
appeared before the general court in 1696 in
behalf of the inhabitants on the east side of
New London river to establish a church. This
was the beginning of the church at Groton.
The tombstone of himself and wife in a very
good state of preservation stands near the
center of the west burying ground at Poquon-
noc. He married Deborah, daughter of Ed-
ward Stallyon, February 18, 1669. She died
March 27, 1729. Children: Margaret, Ed-
ward. Ebenezer, Christopher, Jonathan, Mary,
Hannah, Sarah, Joseph, Benjamin and Mary.

(IV) Christopher (2), fourth son of Cap-
tain James (2) and Deborah (Stallyon) Avery,
was born in Groton, January 23, 1679, died
January 20, 1753. He married Abigail, daugh-
ter of Captain John Parke, and she died Feb-
ruary 12. 1713. Children: John, Abigail,
Christopher and Nathan.

( V ) John, eldest son of Christopher (2)
and Abigail ( Parke ) Avery, was born October
26, 1708, died August 29, 1790. He married,
February 19, 1732, Annie, born August 6,
1708. daughter of Joseph Stanton. Children:
John, Abigail, Amos, Annie, Margaret. Isaac,
James and Hannah.

(VI) John (2), eldest son of John (1) and
Annie (Stanton) Avery, was born December
6, 1732, died July 23, 1794. He married, Jan-
uary 22, 1752, Mary, daughter of Robert
Parke. She died January 14, 1769. Children:
Elizabeth, Ziporrah, John, Anna, Samuel, Rob-
ert, William, Hannah. He married (second)
his cousin, Experience, daughter of Robert
Stanton. Children: Robert S.. Nathaniel,
Amos, Jonas, Mary and Christopher.

(VII) Samuel, second son of John (2) and
Mary (Parke) Avery, was born January 3,

1760. died February 13, 1836. He married,
in 1782, at Groton. Sarah Eldridge, born in

1761, died in 181 1. Children: Samuel, Sarah
Eldridge, Betsey. Lucy. Maria, Harriet and

(VIII) Austin, youngest child of Samuel
and Sarah (Eldridge) Avery, was born in
June. 1804. He was a carriage builder and
resided at Franklin, Connecticut. He married,

May 19, 1826, Mary Peters, of Stonington,
Connecticut. Children : Harriet E. ; Mary
Louise, born August 29, 1828, in Franklin,
Connecticut, married, January 17, 1854,
Dwight R. Smith, q. v., in preceding sketch.

(For first generation see Edward Sprague 1).

( III ) Sergeant Samuel Sprague.
SPRAGUE son of William Sprague, was
born in Hingham, Massachu-
sets. May 24, 1640, died in 1710. He moved
from his native town of Marshfield in 1663
and was town treasurer there in 1665. He
may have gone there to live with his uncle,
Anthony Eames, who settled in Marshfield as
early as [652. Sprague became a leading citi-
zen : was highway surveyor in 1663; was
deputy to the general court nearly every year
between 1680 and 1704; was selectman in
1677-81-86-87-94-95-97 to 1706 and 1709-10.
He held one or more public offices every year
except four after he came to Marshfield. He
was sergeant in 1686 and afterward. In June,
1686, he was elected secretary of the general
court and recorder of the court of assistants
and served until the union of the Plymouth
and Massachusetts Bay colonies in 1692, except
during the Andros regime. He was the last
secretary of the Plymouth colony. Part of
his duties was to act as register of deeds and
wills. He was elected to office sixty-three
times. He married, 1665-66, Sarah Chilling-
worth and went to live on the Chillingworth
estate on the north side of the South river.
His widow's will was dated May 14, 1725.
when she calls herself "very aged." Children :
1. Samuel, eldest, removed to Duxbury before
1710; grandfather of Hon. Seth Sprague. 2.
John, removed to Duxbury; resided on
Sprague's Neck. 3. Nathan, resided at Marsh-
field ; married Margaret ; his son James

was the father of Captain Jonathan Sprague.
of Marshfield, born 1744. 4. James, mentioned
below. 5. Sarah, married Joseph Holmes ;
their son John lived at Plymouth. 6. Mary,
married Nathaniel Williamson. 7. Joanna,
married. May 1, 1710, John Holmes, of Marsh-
field. 8. Hannah, married John Ruggles Jr.,
December 11, 1700.

(IV) James, son of Samuel Sprague, was
born at Marshfield about 1690. He had a share
of the homestead with his mother, after his
father died. He married, November 19, 1717,
Hannah Black, at Marshfield. Children: 1.
James, mentioned below. 2. Hannah, married
Barnabas Ford. Perhaps other children.

( V ) James (2), son of James (1 ) Sprague.



was born in Marshfield, 1720-30. He married
Sarah Jackson and settled in his native town.
Children: 1. James Jr. 2. Ezekiel (?), was
living in Marshfiekl in 1790. 3. Melzar, men-
tioned below. In 1790 James had three males
over sixteen and two females in his family ;
James Jr., his cousin or son, had two sons
under sixteen and one female in his family.
Jonathan and Ezekiel were also heads of fami-
lies in Marshfield.

(VI) Melzar, son or nephew of James (2)
Sprague, was born in Marshfield in 1770, died
there May 2, 1844. He married Eleanor Keen,
who died' April 1, 1855, at Marshfield. Child,
Jairus, mentioned below.

(VII) Jairus, son of Melzar Sprague, was
born in Marshfield, March 14, 1807. The
homestead was in the south part of the town.
He attended school in his native town, and
learned the trade of nailer in his youth. He
followed it for a few years, and then engaged
in business as a contractor and builder. He
came from Marshfield to South Bridgewater,
and in 1841 removed to East Weymouth where
he built the nail factor)', also a number of
houses, and when the church was rebuilt he
built the steeple. During the last years of his
life he bought and sold houses and dealt ex-
tensively in real estate. He was a very capable
and successful business man, energetic, indus-
trious and upright. He was a prominent mem-
ber of the Congregational church and a deacon
for many years. A portrait of Deacon Sprague
may be seen in the vestry of the church. He
was a member of the Free and Accepted
Masons, and of Crescent Lodge, No. 82, Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows. He married
Deborah Barker, born September 1, 1802, at
Pembroke, Massachusetts, died August 24,
1864. at East Weymouth. He married (sec-
ond) Mary Bates, born 1818, died 1901, at
East Weymouth. He died at Weymouth,
March 17, 1879. Children: 1. Jairus Sin-
clair, born March 28, 1832, mentioned below.
2. Elizabeth, born at Marshfield, August 7,
1835, married John S. Porter, of East Wey-
mouth ; she now resides in Knoxville, Tennes-
see : had eight children, three of whom are

(VIII) JairusSinclair.son of Jairus Sprague,
was born in Marshfield, March 28, 1832, died
at East Weymouth, August 30, 1888. He
received his education in the public schools
of East Weymouth, whither his parents moved
when he was very young. He learned his
father's trades of nailer and carpenter, and as

a young man became associated with him in
his business as a builder. He went to Towanda.
Pennsylvania, in 1871, built a nail factory and
set up all the machinery, later returning to
East Weymouth. He then went to Canada
and spent some time experimenting on nails
for Mr. Stacey, after which he again returned
to East Weymouth and was for a time engaged
in the plumbing business, being also, at inter-
vals, employed in the nail factory. In 1880
he built the house adjoining the one where his
widow now lives. He was a skillful mechanic
in various trades and was for some years en-
gaged in the manufacture of cartons (paper
boxes ) in Weymouth, and was also an active
dealer in real estate. He was a keen and
successful business man. highly respected
and esteemed by his townsmen, thoroughly
fair and straightforward in his dealings, of
sterling character. He was a liberal supporter
and an active member of the Congregational
church. In politics he was a Democrat, but
he sought no public offices. He was domestic

Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 51 of 145)