William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 54 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 54 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he continued to practice until October 3, 187 1.
In the years 1864-65 he held the rank of sur-
geon in the Eighth Connecticut Volunteer In-
fantry, Army of the James. He served in the
hospital at Bermuda Hundred, Virginia, in the
flying hospital of the Twenty-fourth Army
(Hips, in Chimborazo and Camp Lee hos-
pitals, Richmond, Virginia, and in Camp Davie
I lospital, Lynchburg. Virginia. On his return
to professional life, Dr. Hamilton resumed
practice in Somers, and in 1871 removed to
Springfield, where he has since been engaged
in the practice of medicine and surgery, serv-
ing for some time on the surgical staff of the
Springfield Hospital. It is a remarkable fact,
and one which has no doubt contributed largely
to Dr. Hamilton's professional success, that
since the age of ten years he has been in the
enjoyment of uninterrupted health. He was
a member of De Soto Lodge, Independent
Order of Odd Eellows for many years, and is
a member of the Winthrop Club of Springfield.
Dr. Hamilton married, December 24, 1863,
Susan Louisa Chapin, born in New York City,
August 31. 1837, daughter of Dr. John R.
and Eliza A. (Abbott) Chapin (see below).
Children: 1. Josephine Eliza, born February
5, 1865 ; wife of Charles Allen Stone, of Spring-
field ; one child, Elizabeth Roxana, born July
31, T890. 2. Erskine Erasmus, born Decem-
ber 25, 1866; graduate 1892 from College of
Physicians and Surgeons of New York; mar-
ried Hope Wardell Cornell, February 20, 1894,
and died January 24, 1901. He was a popular
and successful physician. 3. Elizabeth Miranda,
born May 22, 1868, died September 23, 1887.
4. Horatio Arnold, born in Springfield, De-
cember 14, 1876; joint owner of the Hartford
Mill Supply Company ; married Alice Warner,
of Wethersfield ; one child, Erskine E., born
September 14, 1908.

(The Chapin Line).

Susan Louisa (Chapin) Hamilton, wife of
Dr. Theodore E. Hamilton, is a descendant of



1636



MASSACHUSETTS.



Samuel Chapin (I), written of on another
page, through Joseph (II), Ebenezer (III),
Seth (IV), Samuel (V), and

(VI) Rev. Reuben, third son of Samuel and
Elizabeth ( Spencer ) Chapin, was born in Som-
ers, September 5, 1778, and died July 17, 1834.
"He was a licentiate among the Congrega-
tionalists, but never became a settled pastor,
owing to a sudden injury to his lungs which
deprived him of good health for the remainder
of his life." He married, March 3. 1806,
Louisa Russell, of Somers, and they had :
Alonzo Bowen; Infant (died young); John
Russell ; Louisa Cooley (died young) ; Reuben
Spencer ; Seth Smith and Louisa Cooley.

(VII) Dr. John Russell, second son of Rev.
Reuben and Louisa (Russell) Chapin, was born
April 27, 181 1, and died June 25, 1852. He
married ( first ) October 10, 1836, Eliza A.
Abbott, died March 3, 1840; (second) April
16, 1841, Amelia A. Cowperthwaite, of New
York City. Children by wife Eliza: Susan
Louisa and John Russell; by wife Amelia:
Ann Elizabeth. Amelia C, Emily Collins and
Willard Parker.

(VIII) Susan Louisa, eldest child of Dr.
John R. and Eliza A. (Abbott) Chapin, was
born in New York City, August 31. 1837. She
married, December 24, 1863, Dr. Theodore E.
Hamilton, and resides in Springfield. Massa-
chusetts.



In the early part of the
HAMILTON seventeenth century there

was a great emigration from
Argyleshire. Ayrshire, and other counties in
the south of Scotland to the north of Ireland.
About 1718 a large immigration came from
Londonderry in the north of Ireland to New
Engand, and those Scotch-Irish, as they were
called, settled principally in Londonderry, New
Hampshire, and in parts of Massachusetts,
not far distant. Among those who made their
home in Massachusetts was the ancestor of
the family, a branch of which is traced below.
(I) James Hamilton, one of the Scotch-
Irish immigrants of 17 18, settled in Worcester,
Massachusetts, and was the first person by the
name of Hamilton in that region. That he
was a Scotch-Irishman and came from Lon-
donderry there is no doubt, and it is equally
certain that he came about 1718, but just where
or when he was born no one knows. James
Hamilton's name is on the list of town officers
id' Worcester in 1723. That he died in Wor-
cester is proved by his will which was probated
May 16, 1735. This will was executed April



25, 1735, and attested by Humphrey Taylor,
James Forbus, Nixie (Michael) Hamilton. By
it the testator disposed of land (amount not
given), house, cattle and household goods. He
mentions his wife Rebekah Hamilton, to whom
he bequeathes "three cows, with all the mov-
ables within my dwelling house to be for her
use and behoof so long as she shall live, and
to be at her disposal at her death." There is
no record of the death of Rebekah the widow.
In the Registry of Deeds at Worcester. Rook
1 1, page 497, is found the deed given by Thomas,
Michael and John Hamilton, dated October 5.
1739. conveying "the estate of their late hon-
oured father James Hamilton to Robert Temple
of Boston for £669 in bills of credit." This
deed was signed by Thomas and his wife Mar-
gery, Michael and his wife Rebecca, and John
and his wife Mary. The children of James
and Rebekah Hamilton were : Thomas, Mickel,
(or Michael). John and Frances.

( II ) Thomas, eldest child of James and
Rebekah Hamilton, settled in Pelham. The
name of his wife is not known. His children
were: James. Joseph, John, Thomas, Robert,
Rebecca and Frances.

(III) Joseph, second son of Thomas Hamil-
ton, married Ann Oliver, of Pelham. where
he resided, November 11, 1773. Their chil-
dren were : Reuben, Betsy. Isaac, Joel, Polly,
Oliver. Ann, Joseph and Jacob.

(IV) Joseph (2), son of Joseph (1) and
Ann (Oliver) Hamilton, was born March 15,
1789, died in Pelham. May 1, 1864. He was a
resident of Pelham all the years of his life.
In politics he was a Democrat, and in religion
a Congregationalist. He married, May I, 1 818,
Sylvia Cowan, born March 29, 1797, daughter
of James and Molly Cowan. She died August
9, 1885. at Chicopee Falls, aged eighty-eight,
and was buried by the side of her husband in
Chicopee Falls. Their children were: Homer,
Augustus. Harriet. Augusta, George Judson,
Hannah Emeline, Rosetta Ann, Maryetta,
Henrv Clay and Francese Janett.

( Y ) Henry Clay, fourth son of Joseph (2)
and Sylvia (Cowan) Hamilton, was born in
Pelham, April 9. 1834, and resides in Spring-
field. He was educated in the common schools.
At the age of nineteen he entered the employ
of the Western railroad as freight brakeman ;
later was appointed freight conductor and sub-
sequently promoted to first baggage and freight
agent for the above road, and upon the con-
solidation of the Western and Boston & Albany
railroads he was made local freight agent at
Springfield, remaining in that capacity until



MASSACHUSETTS.



1637



January, 1903. and since that time has been
soliciting agent for the New York Central
lines. He was raised in Hampden Lodge ; he
is also a member of the chapter, the Knights
Templar, Mehla Temple A. A. O. N. M.
S., and the Knights of Malta, in which
he is past commander and member of the
grand lodge. He is a Congregationalist in
religion, and a Democrat in politics. He mar-
ried. September 16, i860, Mary Jane Fuller,
born in Chicopee, May 10, 1838, daughter of
Orrin and Mary (Cooley) Fuller, of Chicopee.
Children: 1. Gertrude, born in Springfield,
May 2j, 1865, died June, 1865. 2. Mabel
Francese, born in Springfield, June 23, 1867,
married Louis J. Chandler, December 25, li



The Long family is of ancient Eng-
LONG lish ancestry. A branch of the
family located in county Donegal,
Ulster Province, Ireland, intermarried with the
Scotch Presbyterian settlers, and from them is
descended without doubt the Long family of
this sketch.

(I) John Long, immigrant ancestor, prob-
ably came from Donegal to Marblehead, Mass-
achusetts, and thence to Hopkinton, Massachu-
setts, with other Scotch-Irish. But little is
known of him. The McFarlands, with whom
the Longs were closely associated also lived
first at Marblehead, then in Worcester, Rut-
land, Upton, Oakham and other Worcester
county towns. John Long married (intentions
dated September 21, 1745 ) Mary Taft, of
Upton. Alexander Long, of Marblehead, a
relative, perhaps a nephew, married, August
21, 1766, Elizabeth Bateman ; was a soldier in
the revolution ; children : i. Marianna, bap-
tized December 6, 1767; ii. Alexander, bap-
tized September 17, 1769; iii. Morana, bap-
tized June 9, 1 77 1 ; iv. Sibell, baptized Sep-
tember 19, 1773. Some of this family located
in Vermont. Children of John Long: 1. John,
mentioned below. 2. James, (perhaps by first
wife of John), lived at Upton, and in the ad-
jacent town of Douglas: married, at Douglas,
February 8, 1757, Elizabeth Cook; children:
i. Joseph, born at Upton, September 15. 1758,
baptized at Douglas, 1759; soldier in the revo-
lution ; settled at Cheshire., Massachusetts ;
married (intention dated May 22, 1777) Phebe
Hall ; ii. Anne, born at Upton, November 30,
1760'; iii. Levi, born at Douglas, April 18,
1766, died December 8. 1768; iv. Elizabeth,

born January 8, ■ : died December, 1768;

v. Elizabeth, born May 12, 1769; vi. David,
born July 4. 1771, died young; vii. Eunice,



born May 31, 1772; viii. Eunice, born 1774,
baptized October 19, 1774; ix. David, born
August 4, 1776, lived at Milford, Massachu-
setts: the father, James, died May 11, 1789,
at Douglas, and his will dated May 7, 1789,
proved May 25 following, bequeaths to wife
Elizabeth ; children : Joseph, Anna, Elizabeth,
Eunice, David ; James was a soldier in the
revolution, and from his enlistment record in
the Continental army we find that he was born
in 1727.

( II ) John (2). son of John (1) Long, was
born about 1730, in Scotland. He married
Katharine McFarland. of Glasgow, Scotland.
and settled in Oakham, Massachusetts. Accord-
ing to family tradition she was born in Glas-
gow, Scotland, but the records indicate that
she was of the Oakham family. In 1790, Reu-
ben McFarland was the only head of family
of this name in Oakham, and he had two males
over sixteen, two under that age, and one
female, in his family, according to the first
federal census. Reuben and Margaret McFar-
land, of Oakham, sold their home and lands
at Oakham, November 11, 1805, to Daniel
Clapp and Levi Lincoln, of Worcester, and
removed to Vermont. Reuben was the only
son of Alexander McFarland, of Oakham.
Alexander's will was dated June 3, 1775, be-
queathing to son Reuben, daughters Rachel
Henderson; Sarah Harper, wife of Robert
Harper; Susannah Young; Rebecca, wife of
John Bothwell ; grandchildren Jean and Chris-
tian (daughters of William and Christian
(McFarland) Bell) ; Alexander Henderson
and Alexander Harper. Alexander McFar-
land was a soldier in the revolution, in Cap-
tain Seth Washburn's company, Colonel Jona-
than Ward's regiment, in 1775.

Alexander McFarland was son of the immi-
grant Duncan McFarland, who came with his
brother Daniel from Ulster province, Ireland.
They were of Scotch ancestry. The MacFar-
lands were settled in Dumfriesshire before
the year 1300. In Ireland the family lived in
counties Armagh and Tyrone. A genealogy
of the descendants of Daniel McFarland has
been published. It is stated that he or his
ancestors came to Ireland from Argyleshire.
In 1619 Walter MacFarland was among the
first Scotch settlers in Ulster. He was a
tenant in 1693 °f James Hamilton, Earl of
Abercorn, in the precinct or town of Strabane,
county Tyrone, and from him most if not all
the Scotch-Irish MacFarlands descended. Chil-
dren of Duncan and Christian McFarland:
i. Elizabeth, born November 4, 1719; ii. Janet,



i6 3 8



MASSACHUSETTS.



January 5, 1722; iii. Daniel, February 13,
1723-4; iv. Nancy; v. Alexander, mentioned
above ; vi. Christian. The children of Alex-
ander McFarland were all recorded as born at
Oakham: i. Rachel, September 4, 1739; ii.
Sarah, August 26, 1750; iii. Hannah, or Sus-
annah, February 25, 1753; iv. Rebecca, August
25, 1756; v. Reuben, December 4, 1759, men-
tinned above.

John Long bought land at Oakham, April
17, 1783, of Jonathan Richardson, and a place
on the road from Brookfield to Rutland, in
Oakham, October 6, 1792, of Isaac Hunter.
He deeded twelve acres of land at Oakham
(bought of John Crawford, June 18, 1782) to
the town of Oakham, perhaps for the church
or graveyard, May 29, 1786. According to
the family records he removed to Vermont in
1707, but the deeds indicate that he or his sons
were in Oakham as late as 1812. John Long,
of Oakham, deeded to James Long, of Oak-
ham, land adjoining the places of Nehemiah
Packard, Samuel Crawford, Ichabod Parker
and William Parmenter, July 2, 1810. John
quitclaimed to James lands at Oakham July 2.
1810. He was not called Jr. in the deed, but
may have been the son. John quitclaimed
the farm on the road from John Crawford's
to the Oakham meeting house and land on the
road from Rrookfield to Rutland to James
Long in 1812. Both were then called of Oak-
ham. John Long was a soldier from Coleraine
or Shelburne in the revolution, in Captain
LIugh McClellan's company, Colonel Samuel
Williams's regiment; also September 22, 1777,
in Captain John Wells's company at Stillwater;
also lieutenant in Captain Lawrence Kent's
company. Colonel David. Field's regiment, in
1780. The Coleraine families were closely
connected with the Scotch-Irish of Worcester
county, and this appears to show that John
Long lived for a time in Coleraine and vicinity
before settling in Oakham. In 1790 none of
the name appear in Coleraine. John Long
was the only one of the family in Oakham
in 1790, having then in his family two sons
(John and James) and three females. Chil-
dren: 1. John. 2. James, mentioned below.
7,. Catherine. 4. Daughter, married George
Bothell.

John Long settled in Guildhall, Vermont.
He helped build the wall around the meeting
house on the hill and his farm was located
near. It has been known as the Amory place.

(Ill) James, son of John (2) Long, was
born as early as 1790, in Oakham, Massachu-
setts. He lived at Guildhall. Vermont, whither



he removed about 1812. He was a farmer. He
married Docia Blanchard, who was born in
Massachusetts, and died in Guildhall. Chil-
dren: 1. John, mentioned below. 2. Rox-
anna. 3. William. 4. Docia. 5. Catherine.
6. Elizabeth. 7. James. 8. Cynthia. 9. Orilla,
married Caleb Rogers. 10. Douglas, only one
living.

(IV) John (3), son of James Long, was
born January 2, 1814, in Guildhall, Vermont,
and died at Randolph, Massachusetts, Janu-
ary 9, 1884. He received his education in the
district schools of his native town. He left
home when but a boy, and worked four years
in Providence, Rhode Island. Thence he went
to New Bedford, where he found employment
as stage-driver between New Bedford and
Bridgewater, and later between Bridgewater
and Boston. He finally settled in Randolph,
Massachusetts, where he bought a hotel and
livery business, which he conducted for many
years with marked success. He invested his
savings in real estate, and the increase in
its value added greatly to his fortune. He
was active in town affairs, and possessed a
large influence. He was a Republican in
politics, and was a delegate to various nomi-
nating conventions. For nine years he was a
deputy sheriff of Norfolk county. He was a
Congregationalist in religion. He was on the
investment committee of the Randolph Sav-
ings Bank for some years. Though a popular
man, with many friends, he never joined secret
societies. He married Susan C. Rounsevell,
born November 3, 1823, at East Freetown,
daughter of Gilbert and Salome (Booth)
Rounsevell. Her father was a well-to-do
farmer and mill owner at Freetown. Her
only brother lived and died on the homestead.
Mr. and Mrs. Long had no children of their
own. Miss Mary Long, who resides in the
family home at Randolph, was an adopted
daughter.



This name, whatever its orthog-
B1RNIE raphy, is rare in American gene-
alogical records, and the family
treated of below is probably the only Birnie
family in New England, though a somewhat
widely scattered but not numerous family
spelling the name Birney is found in various
states.

( I ) George Birnie was born in Aberdeen-
shire, Scotland, and became a stone mason
and contractor. He married Ann Iniry, by
whom he had a family of twelve children,
seven of whom attained maturity, namely:




.'■,■'■'.■:..'.
.".■.■ . .



i






(/1-^A^ue-



MASSACHUSETTS.



1639



George, Alexander, Euphemia, Joseph, Cath-
erine. Anna and William. After living for
some years in Porto Bello, in Midlothian, a
suburb of Edinburgh, he removed to America
and settled in Morristown, New Jersey, having
been preceded to this country by his son George.
The Morris and Essex canal was then under
construction, and Mr. Birnie contracted to
build the mason work along its course; but
died a year later, in 1828. leaving his son Alex-
ander, then twenty-five years of age, to go on
with the work. Ann Birnie, the mother, died
in New York City, where the family removed
after the father"s decease.

(II) William, son of George and Ann
( Iniry ) Birnie, was born in Porto Hello, Scot-
land, November 11, 1818, died in Springfield,
Massachusetts, December 2, 1889. When he
was nine years of age he came with his par-
ents to America, and after the death of his
father went with the family to New York,
where he attended school, and also learned the
family trade of stone cutting. In this he made
great proficiency and did work for some of
the finest buildings in the city. After he had
attained prominence in business, when passing
the sub-treasury building in Wall street, New
York, in company with a friend or kinsman,
he would point with pride to certain cap-stones
in that structure which he had cut. After
Alexander Birnie finished the Morris canal
contract, he made another for the Paterson &
Hudson River railroad, and still later was en-
gaged in the construction of the Boston, Provi-
dence & Stonington line. When the Western
railroad, now the Boston & Albany, was con-
structed, Alexander Birnie, who was then liv-
ing in North Becket. took a contract for build-
ing a section between Chester and Washing-
ton, with headquarters at Middlefield. Massa-
chusetts. At that time his brother William,
who had been associated with him for several
years, became general outside manager, and
the late John B. Adams, of Springfield, whose
sister had married Alexander Birnie, was in
charge of the finances. While William was a
sub-contractor, working under Alexander, he
took his first independent contract for work
near Chester, Massachusetts, and on this he
cleared a thousand dollars. When at work on
this western road, according to the account
found in the "Biographical Review of Hamp-
den County," from which much of this article
is taken, he met Azariah Boody, Daniel L.
Harris and Amasa Stone, with whom he sub-
sequently formed a business connection. In
1842, when Alexander Birnie moved to Hast-



ings, New York, William joined these gentle-
men who were already interested in the Howes
Truss Bridge patent. They took joint con-
tracts for railroad bridges, Mr. Birnie build-
ing the masonry, and they thus built nearly all
the bridges on the Richmond & Danville road,
Virginia, for the Providence & Stonington rail-
road, and for the Harlem railroad. Mr. Birnie
constructed the water shops and raceway, and
laid the foundation for the Springfield Armory
fence. D. D. Warren and Willis Phelps, asso-
ciated with Mr. Birnie. took the contract for
building the Springfield & New London rail-
road, eight miles to the Connecticut border.
Mr. Birnie was assisted by Daniel L. Harris
in the bridge-work at Northfield and at other
places on the Vermont Central and the Ver-
mont & Massachusetts line; and he was at
various times associated with Sidney Dillon,
of New York City, with D. D. Warren, with
Willis Phelps and with Joseph Stone. After
Amasa Stone went west, Joseph Stone, father
of Harlon B. Stone, was associated with Mr.
Birnie, as was also Major Whistler; and the
part those gentlemen took, both in railway con-
struction and development, has been notable.
With the early operation of the Western rail-
road they were all more or less connected.
The late John Delaney, of Holyoke. father of
Ex-Mayor Delaney. a well known contractor,
did his first work on this road under Alex-
ander Birnie. William Birnie and Daniel L.
Harris, in partnership, built the Belle Isle
bridge across the James river at Richmond,
and in fact all the bridges on the Richmond
& Danville road. Mr. Birnie superintended
the work, and William S. Marsh, of Spring-
field, was the clerk and bookkeeper for the
firm at Richmond. To Harris & Birnie, in
competition with many others, was awarded a
contract for the masonry and bridge at Havre
de Grace ; but the Philadelphia, Wilmington &
Baltimore Railroad Company, becoming alarm-
ed at the magnitude of the undertaking, paid
the contractors five thousand dollars and all
expenses to stop work. During the latter part
of Mr. Birnie's business connection with Mr.
Harris, Richard F. Hawkins was their clerk
and accountant, and for many years after they
dissolved the partnership he served them both
as confidential bookkeeper. Harris & Birnie
built the Agawam foundry on Liberty street,
Springfield, which they subsequently sold to
Wright & Emerson, and which is now owned
and occupied by the Springfield Foundry Com-
pany. They also built the stone arch and
canal at the Water Slope. With Dr. Josiah B.



1640



MASSACHUSETTS.



Weston, of Dalton, Mr. Birnie bought the
government property now owned by the Spring-
field Waste Company on Mill river. For a
time Birnie & Weston, under the name of the
Nayasset Paper Company, made fine writing
paper at Mill River, but that enterprise not
proving a pecuniary success the stock and
machinery were sold to the Hampshire Paper
Company. After his practical retirement from
business as a contractor, Mr. Birnie invested
in the shoe trade with John R. Hixon, but
soon closed out his interest. From 1855 to
1865 Mr. Birnie, having already acquired a
fortune, spent much of his time in stock Rais-
ing on the Xorth Chestnut Street Farm. He
was then a member of the State Board of
Agriculture, and was considered one of the
leading breeders of New England, his Ayr-
shires having a national reputation. As an
expert on that breed of cattle he was appointed
judge at the Centennial Exposition at Phila-
delphia in 1876. Being actively identified with
the Hampden County Agricultural Society, he
served as judge of cattle at the Bay State Fair.
Having experienced heavy reverses, Mr. Birnie
in 1873, at the age of fifty-five, began business
anew by becoming the financial manager of the
firm of Goodhue & Birnie., which was very
successful in the construction of water-works
in all parts of the country. His first contract
with C. L. Goodhue involved signing a bond
for a hundred thousand dollars that a contract
with St. Albans, Vermont, should be fulfilled.
Another bond was made for a contract at
Leominster, Massachusetts, and out of this
grew a more definite partnership. One of Mr.
Birnie's sons, Thomas X., was associated with
them, and few firms can point to a larger or
more important list of contracts completed.
Watet works were built entirely by them in
sixty cities and towns and they partially did
the work in twenty more. Among the con-
tracts undertaken at a distance were the water-
works at Ann Arbor, Michigan ; Malone, New
York ; Jacksonville, Florida : Streator, Illinois ;
Xenia, Ohio. In Vermont they contracted for
waterworks at St. Albans, St. Johnsbury, and
Barre ; in Massachusetts for Leominster,
Spencer, Plymouth, Wakefield, Amherst, Hing-
hatn, Northboro, Lee, Revere, West Spring-
field, Swampscott, at Stafford Springs, and
Thompsonville ; and in New Hampshire, at
Bristol and Hillsboro. The Ludlow Main in
Springfield was also constructed by them, and
extensive additions, sometimes greater than
the originals, were made in Concord, New
Hampshire, and in Palmer and Haverhill,



Massachusetts. During the summer of 1889
water mains were extended in Massachusetts
from Saugus to Cliftondale, and in Connecti-
cut from Thompsonville to Warehouse Point,
and at the time of Mr. Birnie's death pipes
were being laid in Bradford, Massachusetts.
Mr. Birnie, with Daniel D. Warren, was inter-
ested in the building of the Longmeadow rail-



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 54 of 145)