William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 64 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 64 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


field, February 28, 1667. died young. 7. Han-
nah, January 9, 1668. 8. Abigail. December
1 1, 1670.

( 11 ) John Lee, son of Walter Lee, was born
in Northampton, January 2, 1657, and died at
Westfield. November 13, 171 1. He was a
soldier in King Philip's war. and took part in
the fight at Turners Falls in 1676. He mar-
ried ( first ) December 9, 1680, Sarah, daughter
of William Pixley: (second) Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of Dennis Crampton. She and his son John
administered the estate. Children, all born at
Westfield : 1. John, July 8, 1683, died August
2. 1683. Children of second wife: 2. John,
August 2, 1687: mentioned below. 3. Eliza-
beth. December 14. 1689. 4. Sarah, April 24,
1692. 5. Abigail, October 28, 1694. 6. Ruth,
April 1, 1697. 7. Joanna. 1702. 8. Samuel,
1704. 9. Margaret, 1707.



(Ill ) John (2). son of John ( 1 ) Lee, was
born in Westfield, August 2, 1687. He settled
in Westfield, and probably died there

(IV) Ichabod Lee, son of John ( 2 ) Lee. was
born in Westfield, in 1725-6, and was a promi-
nent citizen of Westfield. He married Martha
Root, of Westfield. During the revolution he
was a Loyalist, like many of the older and
prominent men who were unwilling to engage
in armed rebellion against the existing govern-
ment.

(V) Samuel Lee. son of Ichabod Lee, was
born in Westfield, September 20, 1 781. He
settled in Southwick, Massachusetts, where he
was living at the time of his marriage, Novem-
ber 27, 1800, to Rachel Shepard, of Westfield.
He lived afterwards at Westfield.

( VI ) Daniel Lee, son of Samuel Lee, was
born May 6, 1801. and died August 4, 1863.
1 le lived in Westfield. He married, about 1827,
Mercy Everton, born July 10, 1803, died Au-
gust 13, 1846.

(VII) Hiram Harrison Lee, son of Daniel
Lee. was born at Westfield, February 28, 1831,
and died there January 4, 1892. He was edu-
cated in the public schools, and in his youth
and early manhood was a farmer. He after-
ward engaged in the manufacture of whips,
an industry for which his native town is fam-
ous. He was a member of Mt. Moriah Lodge
of Free Masons, of Westfield : and of Woro-
noco Lodge of Odd Fellows. He married
Lucella R. Spencer, born November 16, 1839,
daughter of Charles W. and Sarah Ann (Root)
Spencer. Children: 1. Adella Delight, mar-
ried. May 3. 1888. Henry Marshall Van Deu-
sen. ( See Van Deusen ).



The name Milliken is of
MILLIKEN Saxon origin, and was first

written Millingas, as early as
the thirteenth century; also by the Normans,
as Millinges, meaning "a thousand angels," and
came from Norman origin. The name is Mill-
iken or Mulliken in Scotland, from where the
family is traced. The coat-of-arms embrace
the shield with two eagles, one on each side,
with closed wings.

( I ) Hugh Milliken. immigrant ancestor of
Lemuel Milliken, late of Franklin, was of
Scotch parentage, and came to P.oston in the
early settlement of the Massachusetts Bay Col-
ony. He was a member of the Scots Charitable
Society of Boston in 1684, and without doubt
he had a brother Robert, as shown by the rec-
ords. He and his wife Eleanor were the -par-
ents of several children, among whom was



[686



MASSACHUSETTS.



John, mentioned below, and Robert, born Au-
gust 9, 1681.

(II) John, son of Hugh Milliken, was born
doubtless in Scotland, in 1664-65, died 1749.
He resided many years in Boston, and was a
housewright by trade and a farmer of a high
order. After the death of John Alger, father
of his wife, they possessed his lands at Duns-
tan, in Scarborough, Maine, and John Milli-
ken's name appears there in 1719. He carried
on farming on a scale of considerable magni-
tude, raising large quantities of corn, peas,
oats and barley. In 1720 he and his son John
were in the reorganization of Scarborough
government, and John, St., was chosen select-
man. I fe was in Boston between times as late
as 173-'. He married Elizabeth Alger, born
1669. baptized 1687. at First Church at Charles-
town, died February 9, 1754, daughter of John
and Mary (Wilmot) Alger, of Boston. Chil-
dren: I. John, horn December 27, 1691. 2.
Thomas, April 27. 1693. 3. James, September
4, 1694. 4. Josiah, November 25, 1696. 5.
Benjamin, April [, 1699. 6. Samuel, baptized
September 21, 1701. lost in the return from
Louisburg, 1745. 7. Joseph, baptized Febru-
ary 20, 1704. 8. Edward, baptized July 6,
1706; mentioned below. 9. Nathaniel, bap-
tized April 24. 1709. 10. Elizabeth, baptized
December 16, 171 1.

(III) Edward, son of John Milliken, was
baptized at Boston, July (>, 1706. He settled
at Scarborough, Maine, about 1729. He and
his wife were admitted to the First Church at
Scarborough, October 31, 1736. He was "Jus-
tice Milliken" of the "inferior court," 1760-71.
I [e was widely known as a man of sound judg-
ment and sterling integrity, a useful townsman
of public spirit, who was consulted as a wise
counsellor. He was a grantee of Trenton, and
acted an important part in the settlement of
that place. He was a soldier at Fort Pownal
during the French and Indian wars, and later
settled at "Nogebaggadeuce," on the east side
of the Penobscot, in 1762. He was appointed
by the general court to receive the bonds of
the grantees. He was moderator of meeting
held by the proprietors of the townships on
Union River, August 1, 1764, at Falmouth.
He married Abigail Norman. Children: 1.
Benjamin, baptized February 1, 1727, died
young. 2. Benjamin, born August 5, 1728. 3.
Joseph, baptized May 29, 1729. 4. Abigail,
born May 29, 1731. 5. William, baptized March
10, 1734. 6. Daniel, baptized March 10, 1734.
7. Edward, born March 5, 1733-34, died about
1812. 8. Susanna, born September 30, 1736.



<). John M.. June 7, 173c). 10. Rebecca, No-
vember 14, 1 741. died aged over one hundred
years. 11. Rachel, born June 16, 1744. 12.
Lemuel, December 8, 1745. 13. Samuel, Feb-
ruary 25, 1747. 14. Jeremiah, mentioned below.

(IV) Jeremiah, son of Edward Milliken,
was born at Trenton, Maine, November 16,
1751. He was a grantee and settler at Union
River before 1770, and after his marriage re-
moved to Scarborough, where he became a
prosperous farmer. He was strong in all poli-
tical questions in those days, and occupied
positions of trust in the new settlement. He
served in the revolution with his brother Lem-
uel, in Captain John Rice's company, Colonel
Edmund Phinney's regiment, enlisted May 8,
1775, from Scarborough, Maine. He married,
June 3, 1770-71, Sarah Lord. Children: I.
Ann, born July 31, 1771. 2. James, Decem-
ber 4, 1772. 3. Isaac. September 25, 1774. 4.
Shuah. April 25, 1776. 5. Rufus, March 9,
1778; mentioned below. 6. Nancy, April 6,
! 779- 7- Samuel, May 10, 1780. 8. Jeremiah,
August 1. 1782. 9. Sally, August 25. 1785.
10. Joel, January 13, 1788. 11. Isabella, April
13, 1790. 12. Harriet, October 25, 1791, died
November 18, 1883. 13. Mary, October 22,
1796.

I V ) Captain Rufus, son of Jeremiah Milli-
ken, was born at Scarborough, Maine, March
0, 1778. died at Parsonsfield. Maine, December
10. 1863. He was brought up on his father's
farm, acquiring the usual education common to
a farmer's son at that period, and also made
occasional sea voyages. After his marriage he
became master of a vessel and was known as
"Captain Rufus." On March 9, 1818, he re-
moved to Parsonsfield and settled on the hill
overlooking Keezar Falls village, where he
owned one of the best farms in the region. He
was of the faith of the Friends, and notwith-
standing his peaceful faith he did not allow
men to abuse him without decided protest, and
it is said that he often threatened those who
had in his estimation intruded upon his rights.
He was a good, quiet, harmless man and re-
spected by all. He and his wife are buried in
a field corner on the farm, where their grave-
stones, storm-beaten and moss-covered, may
now be seen. He married, November 15, 1803,
Jane Coolbroth, died November 12. 184 1. Chil-
dren : 1. Lemuel, born August 12, 1804. 2.
Lora P... born August 19, 1805, killed by fall
from team. February 12, 1857; married, June
7. 1832, Mary White; children: Rufus W..
James T., Charles A., Mary J., Sarah E.,
Hattie B., Lora B., Amanda A. 3. George,




■■■



ryy///r



////A s //



MASSACHUSETTS.



1687



born November 22, 1806. 4. Edward C, born
March 11, 1808; married Eliza Nutter; chil-
dren: Emma, Josiah, George E., Frederick
W. 5. William] born July 3, 181 1; married
Mercy Sweat. 6. Mary A., born February 12,
1814; married Rufus Robinson. 7. Elizabeth,
born September 16, 1816. 8. Nancy, born
April 9, 1818. g. Charles, born March 10,
1821 ; mentioned below. 10. Nancy, born Oc-
tober 3, 1829; married Eden John Cartland.

(VI) Charles, son of Captain Rufus Milli-
ken, was born at Parsonsfield. Maine, March
10, 1821, died at Sandwich, Massachusetts,
November 14, 1891. His schooling was gained
at the district school near the homestead, and
he assisted with the work on the farm. Dur-
ing his minority he was apprenticed to a shoe-
maker and thoroughly learned the trade, and
at his marriage he engaged in this business for
himself, following it for a number of years,
finally giving it up to engage in wood work,
becoming an expert in the manufacture of
sleighs. " He also did considerable stone work
and built stone walls as boundaries to farm
divisions. About 1859 he moved his family
and settled at Manchester, Maine, where he
bought a farm on the Pond road (so called)
between Augusta and Gardiner, Maine, on the
shore of Cobasee Center Lake. Here he raised
general crops and worked at his sleigh trade.
September 4. 1869, he moved his family to
Sandwich, Massachusetts, arriving September
6, the date of the big September gale which
swept Cape Cod. and the family had just time
to get across Wareham bridge, which was
immediately swept away, and he was unable
to get his goods across or transported except
by ox team six weeks after the gale. He set-
tled on the celebrated Henry Wing farm at the
east end of Sandwich, called "Scraton," which
he leased three years. It was a farm well stocked
with cows and young stock, from forty to sixty
hefid, two pair of oxen and sixty sheep. He
raised general crops. In September, 1872, he
be tight the Isaac Hoxie place in the shadow
of the old Friends' meeting house on Spring
1 rill, the society to which he had belonged since
his marriage and where he was a valued mem-
ber. In those days there were large gatherings
at the monthly and quarterly meetings, and his
home was always open to the minister and
visiting Friends. He was always ready to
extend help in time of need socially or finan-
cially. He was a strong Republican, as most
Friends, and would not bear arms against any
man or men. He married. 1844, Anna Cart-
land, born December 2, 1815. daughter of



Charles and Meriam (Robinson) Cartland, the
former of whom was a farmer. Children: I.
Charles Henry, born October 29, 1847, died
January 27, 1884 ; married Mary Francis Bray.
2. Lemuel, born August 6, 1849; mentioned
below. 3. Benjamin Dalton, born April 6, 1851,
married Sarah F. Stuart. 4. Joseph John, born
January 16, 1862, married (first) September,
"1886, Laura Butts, of Danielson, Connecticut;
( second) March 20, 1892, Cora L. Chadbourne,
of Sandwich, Massachusetts. Children : Joseph .
John, Jr., born November n, 1892; Everett
Brooks, February 2j, 1894; Charles F., April
8, 1895.

("VII) Lemuel, son of Charles Milliken, was
born at Parsonsfield, Maine, August 6, 1849,
died at Franklin. Massachusetts, August 23,
1902. He attended the little district school
near his father's farm up to fourteen years of
age, assisting his father with the farm duties.
At an early age he learned the trade of oil cloth
printer, serving his time at Readfield, Maine.
He later came to Norwood, Massachusetts,
where he worked at his trade in a large con-
cern there about four years. Subsequently,
owing to poor health, he left this trade and
found employment on what was then the Bos-
ton, Hartford and Fishkill railroad (now New
York, New Haven & Hartford). He served
as baggage master on the train running from
Boston to W'alpole two years, but owing to an
injury to his hand left the road for a time and
later was married to Eleanor Arilla Johnson,
and they settled at Walpole, where he shortly
returned to his position as baggage master on
the road, remaining three years. He subse-
quently learned the manufacture of null leather
supplies, working for A. E. Stetson at Walpole
for four years. About 1879 he came to Frank-
lin. Massachusetts, and set up in this business
for himself, in Wait's block, on Depot street,
remaining in these quarters a year, subse-
quently removing his goods to quarters in Main
street, in the Retigues building, where is now
Peck's store. There he manufactured a year,
and later removed to Dean avenue, where the
printing office of the Weekly Sentinel is now
located. His final quarters were in Central
street, where he conducted business until his
death, and where his sons, William B. and
Wallace, still continue. It was the only busi-
ness of its kind in Franklin, in the manufac-
ture of loom straps, lug straps, belt lacings and
accessories used by various fabric machines,
and is the oldest business in the town which
has been conducted under one name (L. W.
Milliken) or with so slight change in name.



1 1 ,ss



MASSACHUSETTS.



Mr. Milliken was successful in his enter-
prises, and stood high as a manufacturer and
business man. fie purchased his residence at
41 Cottage street, where he died, August 23,
1902. and where his widow still resides. He
was owner of considerable real estate in Frank-
lin. He was of a retiring nature, reticent and
yet sociable, of strong principles, having many
friends, and always retaining them. He was
reared a Friend, and attended their meetings
when opportunity presented. In later years
, he became identified with the L'niversalist faith.
In politics he was a Republican. He was a
member of Excelsior Lodge of Masons, Frank-
lin ; was exalted there in Miller Chapter, Royal
Arch Chapter ; was a member of Milford Com-
mandery, Knights Templar. Milford; of Mass-
achusetts Consistory, Scottish Rite, thirty-sec-
ond degree. Boston ; of Aleppo Temple, Nobles
of the Mystic Shrine, Boston. As a Mason
he traveled extensively, attending many frater-
nal gatherings. His widow has a frame con-
taining nearly one hundred different badges,
from various Masonic assemblages, represent-
ing nearly every state in the Union.

Mr. Milliken married, at Walpole, Massa-
chusetts, in 1872, Eleanor Arilla Johnson,
born in Walpole, August 4, 1853, daughter of
Benjamin Franklin and Eleanor Brooks ( Hall)
Johnson, of Walpole ; her father was a farmer,
and served as school committeeman. Children:
1. William I!., born January 16. 1874; mar-
ried, December 25, 1901, Myrtie S. Fields,
of Franklin, daughter of Edwin H. and Pau-
line K. (Small) Fields. 2. Wallace C twin
with William B. ; died aged nine months. 3.
Wallace C, born January 12, 1875; married,
JanuaryS. 1906. Myrtie Mabel Morse, daughter
of Edwin A. and Frances T. Y. ( Pratt) Morse.



The Ferris family was originally
FERRIS from Leicestershire, England,
and descended from the house of
Feriers ( Ferrerr, Fereis or Ferris), the pro-
genitor of which in England was Henry de
Deriers. son of ( iuillaume ( William ) de
Feriers, master of the house of the Duke of
Normandy, who received from the Conqueror
large grants of land in Staffordshire, Derby-
shire and Leicestershire. It is said that he
took a prominent part in the battle of Hast-
ings. William Ferers. Earl of Derby, was a
descendant, and his descendants, the Ferrers
of (iroby, bear these arms: Gules seven
mascles or a canton ermine. The American
family bears : Gules a fleur de lis or a canton
ermine with a crescent for difference.



( I ) Jeffrey Ferris, or Ferries, immigrant
ancestor, came from England to Watertown,
Massachusetts, where he was admitted a free-
man May 6, 1635. He went with the Water-
town pioneers to Wethersfield, Connecticut.
He was there but a few years, selling his
farm to John Denning and removing with the
first colony to Stamford, Connecticut, and
receiving ten acres in the first division of land
in 1(140. In 1656 he was one of the eleven men
of Greenwich, Connecticut, who petitioned to
be accepted under the jurisdiction of the New
Haven colony. Tradition tells us that his first
wife was of noble birth, marrying against the
wishes of her family. He married (second)
shortly before her death. Susannah, widow of
Robert Lockwood. She died December 2T,,
1660. His third wife was Judy Burns, who
thus signed her name in receipting for her
portion of the estate, March 6, 1667. His will
was proved at Fairfield, Connecticut, Tanuarv
6, 1664. bequeathing to wife Judy, son James,
stepchildren Jonathan Lockwood and Mary
Lockwood, son Peter's three children and son
Joseph's two children; also giving ten pounds
each to four boys that he brought up. Chil-
dren : 1. John, mentioned below. 2. Peter,
born July 5, 1654; died September 28, 1706;
married Elizabeth Reynolds. 3. Joseph, born
September 20. 1057; married Ruth Knapp,
daughter of Nicholas. 4. James; lived in
Greenwich.

(II) John, son of Jeffrey Ferris, was born
in C'onnecticut, about I-630, it is thought. At
any rate he moved to Westchester, New York,
on Long Island Sound, in 1654, and was one
of the original patentees. He was doubtless a
child of the first wife, but not born in England
in 1649 as stated in the New England Histor-
ical Register, vol. 42. p. 311. Doubtless the
family came from Leicestershire, however, as
there stated. Bolton s history states that he
came from Fairfield. Connecticut, and was one
of the ten proprietors of Throckmorton's Neck
(now Throgs Neck) purchased of Thomas
Pell, in 1667. He receipted for his share of
his father's estate July 16, 1705 ; his father and
brothers lived at Greenwich, Fairfield county,
Connecticut, according to this document. Their
names are spelled Feris, while his is spelled

Ferris. He married Mary . died in

1704; (second) Grace . died in Flush-
ing, Long Island, December 31, 1 715. He was
a member of the Society of Friends in later
years. His will, dated May 9, 1715, proved
February 25, 171 5-16, bequeathed to son Peter
houses and lands at Westchester, the home



MASSACHUSETTS.



1689



lots being on the highway leading to Thomas
Hadden's mills; to sons John, Samuel, James
and Jonathan ; daughters Phebe Burling, Han-
nah Mott, Martha and Sarah Ferris. Chil-
dren: 1. Peter, married Susannah ;

lived in West Chester; ancestor of Ferris fam-
ilies of East Chester, now part of New York
city. 2. Mary, married, March 12, 1685,
Nathaniel Underbill, mayor of the borough of
Westchester. 3. Samuel, one of the first
assistants and common council of the borough ;
married, 1699, Sarah Pinckney, daughter of
John. 4. James, mentioned below. 5. Jonathan,
of Cortlandt Manor; died 1753, at Throgs
Neck, bequeathing to children of his brothers.
6. John of West Chester; died 1729. 7. Phebe,
born April u, 1700 ; married Edward Hurling.

8. Martha, married Cook. 9. Sarah,

married (first) Solomon Palmer; (second)
October 8, 1719, Samuel Harrison. 10. Han-
nah, born February 12, 1705; died April 25,
1760; married William Mott, born January
20, 1674; died June 30, 1730.

(III) James, son of John Ferris, was born
at Throgs Neck, about 1690; married Anna
Sands, of Sands Point, Long Island, who
survived him. His will, dated August 16,
1746, proved April 14, 1747, bequeathed to
eldest son James; son Benjamin; daughters
Martha, Mercy. Elizabeth, Jane and Mary.
wife of Caleb Pell. The children given in a
recent genealogy probably include some grand-
children and omit some of those named in the
will. The list is : 1. James, born July 3, 1734;
died February 25, 1780; married Charity-
Thomas ; both buried in old Ferris burial
ground at Westchester, now removed to the
Hicks lot in Woodlawn. 2. John, mentioned
below, had the homestead in 1776 when the
British landed there and made a short stay,
under Lord Howe. 3. Jonathan. 4. Anna,
married Dr. Valentine Seaman. 5. Elizabeth,
married Dr. Thomas Cook. 6. Sands, mar-
ried Susan Potter. 7. Sarah, married John
White. 8. Elmira. 9. Mary. The son Ben-
jamin died in 1777, leaving wife and daughter.

(IV) John (2), son of James Ferris, was
born at Throgs Neck. June, 1733 ; died Jan-
uary, 1814; married Marianna, daughter of
Thomas Hunt. Children, born at Westches-
ter: 1. Jonathan, December 15, 1765; men-
tioned below. 2. Elijah, January 24, 1768;
died May, 1842; married Amelia, daughter of
Philip Livingston; bought land with his
brother in Vermont ; children : Lindley M.,
John H., William Livingston (unmarried),
Charlton, married Anna Seaman. 3. Elvin,



lost at sea; child Rufus, married Leg-

gett.

(V) Jonathan, son of John (2) Ferris, was
born at Westchester, New York, December
15. 1705, and died in Swanton, Vermont, Oc-
tober j, 1829. He and his brother, Elijah Fer-
ris, both of New York, bought from Silas
Hathaway a tract of land at Swanton, Ver-
mont, as appears from indenture dated May 3,
1803. which in brief was bounded as follows:
Commenced where the then Highgate line
intersected Maquam Creek thence following
the creek to Maquam Bay; thence southerly
following the shore of the Lake one and a
half miles; thence southeasterly parallel with
Highgate line, three miles; thence northeast-
erly until it meets the Highgate line ; thence on
Highgate line to place of beginning. So run-
ning as to include 5000 acres of land, no more
and no less, exclusive of such lands as have
heretofore been conveyed by said Hathaway.
This trace, as may readily be seen, includes all
the Falls, with all the land on which the village
now stands, and all the land included within
the bend of the river, from where the High-
gate line intersects the river eastwardly from
the Falls to where the river intersects the said
Highgate line northwardly from the Falls,
together with a large amount not embraced
within the bend of the river. The considera-
tion set up in the deed was $40,000. but only
$22,000 was actually paid for the land. Jona-
than Ferris came here to reside in 1807, and
for the first few years occupied a house then
standing near the house where Colonel Jewett
lately resided. In 1810 he removed to the
large brick house standing at the northerly end
of the village square, and occupied it until his
death. He contributed much in various ways
to the prosperity of the town. He laid out the
village with straight broad streets and ample
building lots, making a beautiful town. He
; was a Quaker.

He married Ursula Catlin. born in Litch-
field, Connecticut, May 2-], 1780. She was
admitted to the Congregational church April 8,
1832, and died March 31, 1858, surviving her
husband nearly thirty years. Children: 1.
Helen, married March 23, 1831, Df. H. H.
B ray ton ; removed to California. 2. J. Alex-
ander, resided in California. 3. Dr. Lynde C,
practiced several years in New York, and died
in 1874. at the home of his brother, near Bos-
ton ; married Mary Drake, daughter of Jacob,
mentioned below. 4. Valentine S., married
(first) Cornelia, daughter of Judge William
Brayton ; ( second ) Emma Everest, widow of



i boo



MASSACHUSETTS.



Dr. Horatio Gates; resided in Swanton. 5.
Maria A., married R. F. Fletcher, and died in
Paris, France, a widow. 6. Edwin M., mar-
ried Catherine Everset ; died about 1858. 7.
Almira E., married P. T. Washburn, who
became adjutant general and governor of Ver-
mont. 8. Mortimer C, resided in Boston. 9.
Charles J., died at sea. on his way to Cali-
fornia. 10. Martha. 11. John.

(VI) Hon. Valentine S., son of Jonathan
Ferris, was born in Swanton, Vermont, in
1809-10, and died there December 21, 1879
He was educated in the public schools of his
native town. In company with his two broth-
ers, in early life he engaged in business and
took measures to develop the water power at
Swanton. They were then the owners of
nearly all the water-power in the town on the
easterly side of the river. They erected the
large brick grist mill in 1833, also large marble
and lumber mills, and for a time were engaged
extensively in the marble business. They
finally disposed of their interests in mills and
water-power and engaged in other pursuits.
Mr. Ferris from this time gave his attention
largely to the management of real estate in
which he was interested. It is said that his
name appears more times as the conveyor of
real estate on the records of the town than that



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 64 of 145)