William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 67 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 67 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Needham. born July 2, 1893.



The Cloughs or Guffs of New

CLOUGH England have as progenitors

several immigrants of the

name in its various spellings, each of whom

became the forbear of a numerous tribe of

descendants.

John Clough, tailor, born about 1613, who
died July 26, 1691, was a passenger in the ship
"Elizabeth," in 1635, was in YVatertown,
Massachusetts Bay Colony, was made a free-
man of the colony May 18, 1642, and with his
wife Susanna removed to Salisbury, and the
Cloughs of Maine and New Hampshire own
him as their progenitor, through one of three
sons, John, Thomas or Samuel. William
Clough, bricklayer, settled in Charlestown, and
married, about 1656, Mary, daughter of Rich-
ard Adams, of Molden. He was admitted to
the church in Charlestown in 1661, and was
clerk of the second military company of
Charlestown. He had sons Joseph, William,
Benjamin. Samuel, Nathaniel and John. Then
we find John, the Bostou immigrant, and one
of the name in Plymouth Colony. But from
none of these can we trace the Cloughs of the
Connecticut Valley, both in Massachusetts and
Connecticut. We therefore look to another
John Clough, who appeared in Hartford and
was made a freeman of Connecticut in 1654. as
probable ancestor of the Connecticut Valley
Cloughs.

(Ill) Jonathan, probably grandson of John
Clough, the immigrant, was born before the
opening of the eighteenth century, and was
one of the proprietors of the town of Thomp-



son, colony of Hartford, where a church gov-
ernment was formed January 28, 1730, of
which he was a corporate member, being num-
ber eight in the published list of incorporators
of the church and town. The name of his wife
does not appear. He had at least four chil-
dren: 1. Jonathan ; see forward. 2. Ephriam,
joined the church in 1 74 1 . 3. John, joined the
church in 1742. 4. Obediah, joined the church
1746. 5. Ruth, joined the church in 1750.
These children were probably about twenty
years of age when they united with the church.

(IV) Jonathan (2), eldest son of Jonathan
( 1 ) Clough. was born about 1715, and joined
the church in Thompson, Connecticut, of
which his father was a founder in 1738. He
married and removed to Belchertown, Massa-
chusetts, where he carried on a farm, and
where he died at the age of ninety-four years,
about 1810. Children, all born in Belcher-
town: 1. Dan, married, and had children:
Desire, born 1800; Jonathan (3d) 1802-3;
Abner 1805. 2. Timothy, see forward. 3.

John, married (first) Sarah , (second)

Louisa ; children: Sarah, born 1796;

Keziah, 1798; Charlotte, 1800; Clarissa, 1802;
Tovisa, 1804; Sophronia, 1805; Nancy, 181 1;
Ann Jane. 1814: John. 1816; Mary, 1818.

( V ) Timothy, second son of Jonathan ( 2 )
Clough, was born in Thompson, Connecticut,
about 1770. He removed to Ludlow, Hamp-
den county. Massachusetts, and thence to
Belchertown. He married Lucy ; chil-
dren : 1. Abigail, born 1792. 2. Susa, 1794.
3. Hannah. 1797. 4. Olive, 1801. 5. Candice
(twin), 1801. 6. Timothy. 1804. 7. Jonathan,
see forward. 8. Daniel. 1808. 9. Daniel. 1811.

( VI ) Jonathan ( 3 ), second son and seventh
child of Timothy and Lucy Clough, was born
in Ludlow, Massachusetts, May 22, 1806, and
died in Belchertown, Massachusetts, in Au-
gust. 1855. He married, in 1828, Almira
Leavens, of Thompson, Connecticut, who was
born November 1, 1806. and died in Belcher-
town. Massachusetts. April 23. 1899. In the
Congregational church at Thompson, Connec-
ticut. Elizabeth. Hannah. James, Mary and
Noah Leavens are named among its prominent
members, Elizabeth joining the church in 1741.
They lived first in Perry, New York, and then
in Belchertown. Their first two children were
born in Perry. Children: 1. James W.. May
10. 1826. 2. Jefferson Moody: see forward.
3. Almira C. October 21, 183 1. 4. Timothy
L.. December 6, 183^. 5. Guernsey A.. April
25, 1835. 6. Mercv, October \-\ 1838. 7.
Henrv'S.. Tuly 9, 1842. 8. Emily M. /March



MASSACHUSETTS.



1701



28, 1846. 9. George R., December 27, 1849.
10. Mary A., December 25. 1800.

( VII) Jefferson Moody, eldest son of Jona-
than and Almira (Leavens) Clough, was born
in Perry, New York, November 26, 1829, and
died in Belchertown, Massachusetts. January
16, 1908. He was general manager of the
Winchester Manufacturing Company, and he
perfected the first typewriter that was ever
made, later known as the Remington type-
writer. He married Ellen E. Debit, born Sep-
tember 22, 1829. died in Belchertown, Massa-
chusetts, October 28, 1904. They lived in
Palmer, Massachusetts. Children: 1. Adella
A. 2. Jefferson Moody ; see forward.

(VIII) Jefferson Moody, eldest son and
second child of Jefferson Moody and Ellen E.
(Debit) Clough, was born in Palmer. Hamp-
den county, Massachusetts, April 2, 1846. He
was sent to school up to the age of eight years,
when an accident to one eye deprived him of
the sight of both, and his future education was
in private schools for the blind, in which he
made rapid progress, and his acquirements
were remarkable considering his affliction. He
married, October 5, 1881, Jennie Eva, daugh-
ter of William and Martha ( Hutchinson)
Cooper, granddaughter of Erastus (1806-84).
and Sara Slate (1808-87) Cooper, and great-
granddaughter of Justin ( 1789-1849) and Har-
riet (1787-1853) Cooper, of Winchester, New
Hampshire. Justin and Harriet Cooper had
six children : Erastus. Emily, William, Charles,
Edwin, and an infant unnamed. The chil-
dren of Erastus and Sara ( Slate ) Cooper
were born in Winchester, New Hampshire, as
follows: 1. Harriet. April 1, 1826: married
G. Crosby, and died January 22. 1888. 2.
Mary, January 3, 1829; married James May,
and died March 9, 1906. 3. Sarah, April 29,
1832: married Cleveland Goff. 4. William,
January 12, 1836. 5. George, May 15, 1834,
died May 20, 1857. °- Henry, April 1, 1842,
died September 9, 1842. 7. Emily. January
10, 1844, died July 20, 1844. Children of
William and Martha Cooper': Jennie Eva,
(1st); Jennie Eva (2d), married Jefferson
Clough ; Addie Louise.

Jefferson Budd, son of Jefferson Moody and
Jennie Eva (Cooper) Clough, was born Sep-
tember 6, 1886, and died February 3, 1897.



(For preceding generations see Jeremiah Norcross 1).

(Ill) Nathaniel Norcross,
NORCROSS born in Watertown, Decem-
ber 18, 1665, was a shoe-
maker, and resided in Watertown and Sudbury.



He married ( first ) Mehitable Hagar, died April
5, 169 1 : (second) Susanna, daughter of Dr.
Philip Shattuck, of Watertown. She died in
Sudbury, February 15, 1711-12. He died in
1 71 7. leaving four children.

(IV) Philip Norcross. born March 5, 1698;
married, in 1721, Sarah, daughter of Edward
Jackson, of Newton, and settled in that town,
their home being on the site of the present
Fliot meeting house. He died in 1748, leaving
nine children.

( V ) Jonathan Norcross. born February 7,
1734-35, fifth child of Philip Norcross; was a
soldier in the French and Indian war, and at
Lake George in 1758. Two years later he re-
moved to Georgetown, Maine, where he mar-
ried Martha, daughter of James Springer. In
1775 he was a resident of Readville, Maine,
but we have no record of his death. His wife
died in 1809, and was buried at Hallowell,
Maine.

(VI) Jonathan Norcross, Jr., born 1767;
married Jane Atkinson, of Lancaster, England,
and resided during the greater portion of his
life in Wayne, Maine, where he owned a farm.
It is believed at his death he was buried in
Winthrop, Maine. His widow died and was
buried in Salem, Massachusetts.

( VI 1 ) Jesse Springer Norcross. son of Jon-
athan Norcross. Jr., was born in Wayne, Maine,
in 1806. He was a carpenter and builder, also
proprietor of the "Norcross Mills." at Wins-
low, Maine. He married, in 1826. Margaret
Ann Whitney, of Westboro, Massachusetts.
They resided in various places in the state of
Maine, among them the town of Clinton and
Wirtslow: In 1843 ne removed to Salem, Mass-
achusetts, where he continued to ply his occu-
pation as carpenter and builder. In the year
1849 l ie joined the great concourse of seekers
for gold in California. He died the following
year and was buried at Benicia in that state.
His widow, Margaret Ann (Whitney) Nor-
cross, was the daughter of Jonah and Anna
(Rider) Whitney. The father of Jonah was
Thomas Whitney, a revolutionary soldier from
the town of Shrewsbury, Thomas being in the
fifth generation from the emigrant ancestor,
Tohn Whitney, who settled in Watertown, Mass-
achusetts, and was admitted freeman there in
1635-36. The children of Jesse Springer and
Margaret Ann ( Whitney ) Norcross were :Ros-
ina C. Julia and James A., twins; Elizabeth,
Orlando W. ; William, died at sea, when nine-
teen years of age : Leander, who died an infant,
and Charles Henry, died when four years of
age.



1702



MASSACHUSETTS.



( VIII) Orlando Whitney Norcross, son of
Jesse and Margaret (Whitney) Norcross, was
born in Clinton, Maine. October 25, 1839, and
was a child in his father's family when they
removed to Salem, Massachusetts. As he grew
to youth and manhood he acquired his early
education in the Salem public schools, and
after a few years experience in the leather
business, doubtless prompted by a mechanical
genius inherited from his father, turned his
attention to the carpenter's trade, which he
mastered and in which occupation he found
employment until the year 1861, when he en-
listed in the Fourteenth Massachusetts Volun-
teer Infantry Regiment, afterwards known as
the First Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, and
served well his country for three years.

In 1804 the copartnership with his brother
James A. Norcross was formed, as before men-
tioned, under the name of Norcross Brothers,
and it is safe to say that no firm engaged in the^
building industry ever made more rapid strides
towards success and popularity than did the
Norcross Brothers. The thirty thousand dol-
lars contract for the Congregational church at
Leicester, in 1866, placed the firm fairly in
line for further like engagements, and soon
was followed by one at North Adams. The
firm at this time having located in Worcester,
began here with a contract for the Crompton
block. Then the First Universalist church, and
Classical and English high schools were built
during the years 1870 and 1871. Later, they
built the State Mutual Life Assurance build-
ing, the Art Museum, and the new City Hall.
Prior to the climax reached in the erection of
their massive buildings, they had erected about
eighty others in various parts of the United
States, all remarkable for their size, beauty
and cost of construction, including those de-
signed both for public and private use. A
complete list of these great structures cannot
here be given, but a few of the more important
are mentioned : South Congregational church ;
Hampden County court house, Springfield,
Massachusetts ; Union League club house, New
York ; Boston & Albany station and granite
bridge over Alain street. Springfield, Massa-
chusetts ; Trinity Church, Boston ; South Term-
inal Station, Boston ; Norwich Congregational
Church, Norwich, Connecticut ; Latin and Eng-
lish high schools, Boston; buildings for Har-
vard College, including Perkins Hall, Conant
Hall, Fogg Art Museum, Gymnasium building,
Sever Hall, and Law School buildings, at
Cambridge ; the group of Medical School build-
ings on Longwood avenue, Boston ; New York



Central Railroad Station, Albany, New York ;
Allegheny court house and jail, Pittsburg,
Pennsylvania, built of granite from Worcester
county, Alassachusetts ; Exchange building,
Boston ; Chamber of Commerce, Cincinnati,
Ohio: granite work of Pennsylvania & Long
Island railroad at New York ; Bi-centennial
and Woolsey Hall buildings at Yale University,
New Haven, Connecticut; New York Life In-
surance Company, buildings at Omaha and
Kansas City; Howard Memorial Library, New
Orleans; Marshall Field building, Chicago;
Equitable building, Baltimore ; Corcoran Gal-
lery of Art, Washington, D. C. ; new Massa-
chusetts State Capitol, Boston; Rhode Island
State Capitol, Providence, Rhode Island ; Co-
lumbia University buildings, including Science
Hall, University Hall Library, Achermeron
Hall, Physic building, S. E. Porch; and at
Brown University, at Providence, Rhode
Island; and John Carter Brown Library and
Rockefeller Hall. They also constructed the
Soldiers' Monument at West Point, New York,
the largest polished monolith in the United
States ; and the Ames Memorial at Sherman,
Wyoming, on the highest elevation of the
Rocky Mountains crossed by the Union Pacific
Railroad.

After the retirement of his brother from the
lirm in 1897. the business was continued under
the direction of Orlando, who possesses unusual
zeal and business capacity, is an untiring work-
er, with a remarkable knowledge of the science
of mechanics, and has thus successfully mas-
tered all obstacles met in the pathway of his
various undertakings, many of which have
been considered by some contractors to seem
almost if not impossible of execution. No
man takes deeper interest in his occupation,
and his constant aim has been to become a
complete master in the building trade. In
1875 he served on a committee of experts ap-
pointed to examine the condition of Chicago's
great federal building, and the report of that
body was found correct. Among his latest
works are the following notable edifices : The
New York Public Library, the largest marble
building in America; and the marble tower
of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Building
in New York, now nearly completed, the lofti-
est building in the world ; and he also rebuilt a
large portion of the White House, in Washing-
ton City, at the beginning of President's Roose-
velt's administration. Mr. Norcross is an earn-
est advocate of temperance.

He married. May, 1870, Miss Ellen Phebe
Sibley, of Salem, Alassachusetts, daughter of




0. //: ' J^r.-ox,



MASSACHUSETTS.



1703



George O. Sibley, a descendant from Richard
Sibley, of that place. Of their five children
three are living: I. Alice Whitney, born March
22, 1872; married. October 19, 1897, Henry J.
Gross, of Worcester ; they have two children —
Phebe, born April 18, 1900, and Phillip Nor-
cross, born July 1, 1901. 2. Mabel Ellen, born
July 20. 1874; married. April 10, 1898, Will-
iam J. Denholm, of Worcester ; their children
were: Margaret, born April 17. 1900. and
Alexander Norcross, born February 12, 1902,
died October 14. 1902. 3. Edith Janet, born
October 8, 1878: married, October 5, 1904,
Charles F. Morgan, of Worcester. 4. James
O., born March 5. 1882; died July 28, 1882.



The name Barker is of English
BARKER origin and is derived from the

occupation of tanner or "bark-
er." Ephraim Barker, immigrant ancestor of
this branch of the family, came to Xew Eng-
land with his brother Richard before 1752.
Richard went west and disappeared. Ephraim
married, February 27, 1752. Hannah Grove,
and settled in Pomfret, Connecticut. Children :

1. William, born November 18, 1753; was in
the revolution in the battles of Lexington and
Bunker Hill. 2. Hannah. September 15, 1754.

3. John, December 18, 1756; mentioned below.

4. Ephraim. February 28, 1759. 5. Nathan,
June 8, 1761 : was in the revolution; married,
November 2~, 1783, Lydia Barker. 6. Calvin.
7. Dolly.

( II ) John, son of Ephraim Barker, was born
in Pomfret. Connecticut, December 18, 1756,
died in Stoddard. New Hampshire. March 15,
1834. He was in the revolution in the Conti-
nental army and served as orderly sergeant.
He was in the battles of Lexington and Bunker
Hill and at Saratoga when Burgoyne sur-
rendered. He accompanied Benedict Arnold
on the trip to Quebec, was with General Sulli-
van in his Indian campaign and with Colonel
Alden at Cherry Valley, when the colonel was
killed. He married (first) July 9. 1786, Esther
Richardson, born at Leominster, died July 17,
1806. at Stoddard, New Hampshire, where
they settled. He married (second) December

2, 1806, Mrs. Sally (Guild) Warren. Chil-
dren of first wife: 1. John, born January 24,
1787. at Leominster, Massachusetts; died
March 15, 1834; married, January 1, 181 5,
Susan Bigelow. 2. William, October 20, 1788;
died April 30, 1854; married Phebe Rose. 3.
Franklin. Leominster, July 12, 1790; died in
Stoddard, April 12, 1799. 4. Sally, May 23,
1792. 5. Cephas (twin), December 7, 1793;



died August 10, 1857; married, February 20,
1821, Mary Jewett. 6. Cicero (twin), Decem-
ber 7, 1793; died June 22, 1870; married. Au-
gust 19, 1817. Mary Satterly. 7. Betsey, July
4, 1795; died May 30, 1877; married Moody
Tyler. 8. Albermarle, June 13, 1797; men-
tioned below. 9. Lerenzy ( twin ) , January 16,
1799; died unmarried July 20, 1845. to -
Louise (twin), January 16, 1799; died same
day. 11. Ephraim, February 10, 1801 ; died
September 13, 1875; married, September 15,

1825, Lydia Vinton. 12. Franklin, April 11,
1803; died July 13, 1858; married, April 15,

1826, Betsey Blood. 13. Almira, December 8,
1804; died February 3, 1885; married, May
2i, 1834, Daniel Russell. 14. Nathan, June
2-,, 1806; died July 21, 1806. Children of
second wife: 15. Samuel Guild, October 16,
1807; married (first) May 18, 1837, Sarah
Towne ; (second) November 29, 1865, Phebe
(Myers) Sears, widow. 16. Luman, July 8,
1809; killed at a house raising in Port Eulo,
Wisconsin, April 18, 1859. 17. Mary, Decem-
ber 2. 181 1 ; married, April 18, 1837, Eliphalet
Fox. 18. Harriet Newell, January 7, 1819;
married Worcester.

( III ) Albermarle. son of John Barker, was
born in Stoddard, New Hampshire, June 13,
1797; died at Newton Upper Falls, Massachu-
setts. April 18, 1848. He was a blacksmith by
trade and when a comparatively young man
met with an injury through a fall, which re-
sulted in the complete paralysis of his lower
limbs, so that he was obliged to spend the re-
mainder of his life as an invalid. He married
Abigail A. Francis, of Marblehead, Massachu-
setts, born July 17. 1800. Children: I. Alber-
marle. born in Lexington, Massachusetts,
March 13, 1825 ; went in 1849 in the ship "Ed-
ward Everett," to California, to join his brother
William ; was a successful miner and cattle
owner. 2. William Frederick, June 19, 1827;
went to California in 1848 in the ship "Leo-
nore" among the first company of about three
hundred men; at the end of two years he was
one of only six survivors, and lay ill of the
fever alone ; he was found and brought back
to health by a stranger ; was taken once by a
party of Indians and escaped after a terrible
struggle with his three captors, escaped, having
killed them all ; his left arm was disabled and
he was cut in many places ; returned in 1879 to
Springfield. Massachusetts, and later settled in
Washington state, as a farmer ; he married
Kittie Chambers and had William, George, Ida
and John. 3. Horace Rice, June 27. 1829, in
Lexington; died in Lowell, September 1886;



i/04



MASSACHUSETTS.



married Martha M. Merritt and had Louise
Ardelle and Bertha Estelle ; learned the machin-
ist's trade with his brothers in Otis Pettee's
shop in Newton, Upper Falls, Massachusetts ;
was owner of the II. R. Barker Machine Shop
in Lowell; prominent citizen; alderman of
Lowell. 4. Abigail Ann, June 12, 1831. 5.
Sarah Adelia, February 12, 1834. 6. Ellen
Amanda, born in Needham, May 13, 1836. 7.
John Francis, December 16, 1839; mentioned
below. 8. Louise Maria, January 12, 1841.

(IV) John Francis, son of Albermarle
Barker, was born in Needham, Massachusetts,
December 16, 1839. His education was limit-
ed to the district' school, and at the age of nine,
a year after his father's death, he went to work
on a farm. After he was twelve years old he
was obliged to give up studying altogether. At
the age of thirteen he was employed by Brown
& Company, of West Newton, to drive a two-
horse express between West Newton and Bos-
ton, and remained with them a year. Soon
after he went to Lowell to work for his brother
Horace R. in the machine shop, and at the age
of fifteen he owned a complete set of tools
and had a force of men working under him.
He remained in Lowell about four years, and
then worked in Philadelphia until 1862. At
that time he went to Springfield. Massa-
chusetts, to take charge of the pipe-works in
the water-shops of the National armory, hold-
ing that position for four years. About this
time he became superintendent of the newly
organized New England Portable Gas Works
Company of Springfield, for the manufacture
of portable gas machines. A year later, find-
ing their machinery impracticable, they re-
organized as the Springfield Gas Machine Com-
pany, in July, 1867, under patents planned by
Mr. Barker, for machines of a different style.
He was fortunate in getting his patents grant-
ed without delay, and the company was organ-
ized with a capital of $125,000, Mr. Barker's
patents being valued at $110,000. This com-
pany continued in active business until two
years later, when the firm of Gilbert, Barker
& Company bought out the business of the
Springfield Gas Machine Company. In 1869
Mr. Barker left the company and went to New
York, where in partnership with C. N. Gilbert
he opened a store, chiefly for the sale of the
Springfield Gas Company's goods. In Sep-
tember of that year Gilbert, Barker & Company
bought the plant at Springfield. Horace R.
Barker, of Lowell, and W. S. Gilbert, of
Cohoes, being added to the firm. In 1870 the
firm was incorporated as the Gilbert & Barker



Manufacturing Company, Mr. Barker being
treasurer and manager. In 1884 Mr. Gilbert
retired from the business and Mr. Barker be-
came president. He has held between fifty
and sixty patents, all marking important eras
in the development of the business, which has
led to an enormous trade, amounting to half
a million dollars yearly. The company manu-
factures machinery which converts crude petro-
leum, as well as distillants, into gaseous form,
extensively used for heating and lighting. The
business has done so much towards revolution-
izing the fuel and lighting industries of New
England that many enterprises remain in the
east which would otherwise have removed
west where cheaper fuel could be obtained.
Mr. Barker is a Republican in politics. He is
a member of Hampden Lodge of Free Masons
of Springfield; of the Royal Arch Chapter; of
Springfield Council : of Springfield Command-
er)-. Knights Templar, and up to and including
the thirty-third degree ; member of Melha Tem-
ple, Ancient Arabic ( )rder Nobles Mystic
Shrine, and of the Hampden Lodge of Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows. He was one of
the charter members of the Rod and Gun Club,
now merged into the Winthrop Club. He at
one time belonged to the Amabelish Fish and
( lame Club, limited to thirty-five members,
which leased from the Canadian government
a tract of land on the Amabelish river and
lake where the club house was built on an
island. He is also a memher of the Masonic
Club and the Westminster Club on Bay street,
Home Market Club of Boston, and is one of
its vice-presidents ; this club was incorporated
August 7, 1888. He and his family attend
Hope Church. He married (first) in Lowell,
March, 1858. Laura B. Pierce, born April,
1840, died May, 1884, daughter of George
Pierce, a jeweler, of Lowell. He married
(second) November 26, 1888, her sister, Jennie
F. Pierce. Children of first wife: 1. Fred-
erick Francis, born June 17, 1859; accidentally
drowned at the age of seven. 2. Amelia Maria.
April 2j, 1865 ; married Wheeler H. Hall (see
Hall family). 3. John Francis. October 18,
1879. Children of second wife: 4. Horace
Richard, March 9, 1890. 5. Laura Francis,
September 29, 1896.



The Spelman family is one of
SPELMAN the oldest in England. It was

doubtless a descriptive or
nickname originally, meaning a man of learn-
ing or one who worked spells or charms. The
lineage is traced to Sir William Spelman,




1




/&



iWtt*



MASSACHUSETTS.



!7°5



knight, of Brokenhurst, Hants, whose lands
were granted for knightly service in 1 156. He
died in 1231. The coat-of-arms of the Essex
county family is described : Sable two bars
argent in chief as many mullets or. The Spel-
mans of county Kent bear : Sable a plate be-
tween two (launches argent. Henry Spelman,
whose father was Sir Henry Spelman, a direct
descendant of this Sir William, wrote "Rela-
tion of Virginia," in 1609, edited and pub-
lished in 1872, by J. F. Hunnewell. The Spel-
man pedigree is published in Blondfield's "Nor-
folk," second edition, vol. v., pp. 50-55. It is
also to be found in a manuscript chart in the



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 67 of 145)