William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 80 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 80 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


hotel, and by his liberal and up-to-date meth-
ods soon built up a large business which
steadily increased. Some years later he took
charge of the Broadway Central Hotel in
New York City, and built up a reputation
there that was envied throughout the country.
He adopted common sense methods and al-
lowed no one to impose upon him or to be
imposed upon in his hotel. He said he al-
lowed no feeing by guests. He paid his help
good wages and expected good service. Loaf-
ers were not seen about his hotels, but he had
a lively contest to rid his New York hotel of
these pests. He watched for some time and
discovered that about two hundred men were
utilizing the accommodations of the hotel who
did not spend a cent there at any time. As
soon as he was sure of his men he gave them
emphatic notice to leave. The result was that
the privileges of the hotel were always se-
cured to the guests, and the change was ap-
preciated.

Mr. Haynes held important public offices
and served the city of Springfield and the state
with credit. He was a member of the common
council in 1864 and again in 1871. He was a
member of the house of representatives in
1868-70, the senate in 1875-77, of the execu-
tive council in 1878-79. During his first term
in the legislature he was chairman of the com-
mittee in charge of the rebuilding of the state
house. In 1876 he was chairman of the rail-
road committee, and at other times held the
chairmanship of various other committees,
both in the house and senate, council and city
government. In 1892 he was appointed a
member of the Metropolitan sewerage commis-
sion, of which he was a member until its exist-
ence was terminated by the consolidation of
the board with the Metropolitan water board,
according to the recommendation of Governor
Crane. He was an original Daniel Webster
Whig, and later, with Wilson, Phillips and the
old leaders of the progressive elements joined
the Republican party at its birth, and was al-
ways identified with whatever was best in
national state and municipal affairs. He left
to the city of Springfield ten thousand dollars
for the improvement of the river front and ex-
tension of Court Square.

He married, in Billerica, July 16. 1852,
Martha C. Eaton, born in Salisbury, died in
Springfield, March 6, 1876. They had no chil-
dren. Mr. Haynes has been spoken of as
"bluff, genial, kindly Tilly Haynes," and the
expression described the man. His warm heart
and readv hand were minute-men in the ser-



MASSACHUSETTS.



1765



vice of humanity. His words, fitly spoken,
were like "apples of gold in pictures of silver."
His speech was appointed and incisive. The
inspiration of his life seemed to be drawn from
the fountain of right and not from that of ex-
pediency. The Golden rule was far from be-
ing a dead letter with him. He died at the
United States Hotel in Boston, and was buried
in Springfield.

( VIII) Theodore L., brother of the preced-
ing, was born in Sudbury, April 2, 1830, died
in Springfield. December 29, 1906. He re-
ceived his education in the public schools of
Billerica. March 2, 1 85 1, he accepted a posi-
tion in his brother Tilly's store in Springfield,
receiving at first his board and clothes for his
services. His advancement was rapid, and at
length he and Messrs. Alley and Miller bought
an interest in the firm, which then became
known as Alley, Haynes & Miller. A few
years later Theodore L. Haynes bought out the
interests of Alley and Miller and assumed the
management of the business with his brother
as a silent partner. In 1857 the business had
increased to such an extent that it became
necessary to find larger quarters, and in the
midst of a period of financial depression the
Haynes Brothers erected a new and much
larger building. Tn the new quarters and un-
der Theodore L. Haynes's conservative man-
agement the extent and prosperity of the bus-
iness increased rapidly. Tn July. 1864. their
building, together with a large part of the
stock, was destroyed by fire and for a time
there was no Haynes clothing store in Spring-
field. Tilly Haynes. with characteristic enter-
prise, almost immediately began the erection of
a new building upon the ruins of the old. and
in October, 1865. the store was again opened
in better quarters than before. At this time
Theodore L. bought Tilly's interest and be-
came the sole owner. Later he admitted his
brother John into the firm. John Haynes was
endowed with a large amount of business fore-
sight and was highly progressive, traits that
were perhaps necessary in order to offset the
almost ultra-conservative nature of Theodore
L. The combination proved successful almost
from the start, and the business made more
rapid advances than before, at the same time
being firmlv grounded. Owing to the rapid
advance in the volume of trade on several dif-
ferent occasions, it became necessary to add
more space. In 1875 tne business was moved
to the Massachu setts Mutual Building, where
it remained only two years, and was then re-
moved to the present location on Main street.



When the business was first moved to the pres-
ent site only the first floor was occupied. In
the early eighties it was considerably extended,
and in 1901 the entire block was taken over
and a new front built. The business now re-
quires the services of one hundred employees,
and this is one of the largest firms carrying
nothing but men's furnishings in New Eng-
land. Mr. Haynes was always proud of the
city, in which his firm played so active a part,
and-any project which had in view the better-
ment of Springfield or its people was sure of
his cordial support. For many years he was
active in the work of the board of trade, and
supplied the early office of the board in his
building. Mr. Haynes was probably the orig-
inator of the plan which led to the development
of what is now known as the Ale Knight dis-
trict. The possibilities which lay in this tract
of land early attracted Mr. Haynes's attention
and in 1871 he invested some surplus capital
in twenty acres of land bordering upon Thomp-
son and State streets, and at the same time in-
duced J. D. McKnight to join him in the pro-
ject. Air. McKnight at once became enthusi-
astic, and with his brother, William H. Mc-
Knight, took up the plan and carried out to
a successful completion. He was known as
the generous hearted man and the full extent
of his benefaction-, will never be known. He
was one of the instigators of the movement
which led to the establishment of the home for
friendless women and children, and he gave
two lots which comprised the site of the Buck-
ingham street home. The range of Mr.
Haynes's activities and interests also included
politics, in which, he was always an active sup-
porter of the Republican party- He never held
an}- office, but was considered one of the
strong men of his party, consistently loyal and
ready to work for the principles for which it
stands. He was a member of Hope Church,
and for many years one of the church commit-
tee. His labors in the church were as active
and enthusiastic as in other lines. Such pro-
jects as the Court Square extension and the
more recent river front agitation attracted Mr.
Haynes's interest and support from the start.
He gave five thousand dollars to the Court
Square extension and had contributed to the
river front project indirectly. Theodore L.
Haynes married ( first) in Cambridge, Febru-
ary 28, 1865, Jennie Lewis, of Utica, New
York, who died in Billerica, June 3, 1867. He
married (second) Laura A., daughter of John
K. and Mary Stanford, and widow of Thomas
Blanchard, of Boston, the distinguished inven-



i jf >( i



MASSACHUSETTS.



tor. She died in 1905. There was born (if the
second wife one child, Stanford L. ( (ctober 3,
1869, who became a member of the firm about
1890. He married Emily R. Leonard, born
1865. Children: Laurance, Theodosia and
Emily.

(VIII) Cyrus 1 1., brother of the preceding,
was born in Billerica, July 8, 1833, and passed
all his early life there, going to Springfield in
1852 to enter the employ of his brother Tilly.
He remained in that employ until the store was
burned in 1864. when he went to Boston to
work, but remained only a few months. When
Tilly again opened his store Cyrus H. went in
with him. After another period he again left
his brother's establishment and entered the em-
ploy of Charles E. Maxfield, the furniture
dealer. Later he returned to Haynes & Com-
pany, and has since been with them. He mar-
ried', in Billerica, May 28, 1856, Harriet Brown
born in Billerica, daughter of Colonel Sumner
and Issamiah ( Page ) Brown. On May 28,
1906, they celebrated their golden wedding an-
niversary. They have five sons: Clifford C,
Nathaniel L., Philip L., Caleb S. and Otis B.

(VIII) Charles Robbins, brother of the
preceding, was born in Billerica, April 17,
1836, died in Springfield, January 24, 1906.
He went to Springfield in 1856 and became a
clerk for Haynes & Company, remaining with
the firm, of which his brother Theodore L.
was the head, until the outbreak of the civil
war, when he enlisted in the Thirty-third
Massachusetts Infantry and went to the front.
His active service covered a number of im-
portant campaigns. He was with General Jo-
seph Hooker's corps at the battle of Lookout
Mountain, and as he was climbing up the steep
side of the mountain he was shot through the
fleshy part of the neck, the bullet piercing the
shoulders. After the wound had mended he
continued in the service until nearly the close
of the war, when his term of service having
expired, he was honorably discharged and re-
turned home. He next went to work for the
government in the post office department, as a
mail clerk, covering a route from Boston to
New York for twenty-one years. He retired
from active work about 1890, and went to live
with his sisters at the family home on St.
James avenue, where he died. Mr. Haynes
had some interesting traveling experiences. He
made a voyage from New York to Yokahama,
Japan, on the R. D. Rice oil ship in 1899. He
was the only passenger on the ship and took
the trip for pleasure. It lasted from August
19, 1899. until January 12. 1900. a period of



one hundred and forty-seven days. He visited
several places in Japan, and returned on a pas-
senger steamer. On the return voyage the boat
encountered a severe storm, a long account of
which Mr. Haynes wrote. This was published
in the Springfield Republican. He also made
trips to Jamaica and Cuba, and had an inter-
esting collection of antiques. He was of a
quiet, philanthropic nature, and was always
ready to help along a good cause. This was
especially noticeable of him as a member of
St. Peter's Church, of whose new building
committee he was a valuable member. He gave
generously to the church work and also for the
new building, in the planning of which and in
its progress of erection he was much inter-
ested. He never married.

( VIII ) William H., brother of the preced-
ing, was born in Billerica, April 21, 1838, was
educated in the public schools. At fifteen years
of age he went to Springfield where he spent a
part of each year until he was twenty years
old, returning to Billerica to attend school a
part of the year and assist his father. He was
first in the employ of Tilly Haynes and later of
his brother Theodore L., and finally became a
partner in business with the latter. In 1902
he sold his interest and has since lived at lei-
sure, residing in the family mansionn on St.
James avenue. He is somewhat of a traveler
and has visited California, Florida, the cities
of Nassau and Havana and other points of in-
terest. He is unmarried.

( VIII ) John, brother of the preceding, was
born in Billerica, September 18, 1846. He
was engaged in clothing business in Spring-
held, now in business with Paul Cramer under
the Massasoit House, and for a time resided in
Pasadena, California. He married, in Salem,
August 2, 1869, Elizabeth Wiggin, of
Tamworth, New Hampshire, who died in
Springfield, Massachusetts, April 13, 1875. He
married (second) at Salem, September 18,
1890, Abbie Herrick.

(The Hunt Line).

This is an ancient occupative surname and
is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word Hunta,
signifying a hunter. Among the many pioneer
settlers of New England of this surname
were : Edmund of Cambridge, 1634, and
Duxbury. 1637: Robert, of Charlestown and
Sudbury, 1638: Bartholomew, of Dover,
]'>4o; Enoch, of Weymouth, 1640: William,
of Concord, 1641 ; Peter, of Rehoboth, 1644.
Among the bunts of England who have at-
tained distinction are: William Hunt, land-



MASSACHUSETTS.



1767



scape painter, born 1830; Arabella Hunt, mu-
sician and vocalist, born 1705: George W.
Hunt, member of Parliament ; Robert Hunt,
author and philosopher, born 1807; William
H. Hunt, historical painter, born 1827 ; and
James H. L. Hunt, popular poet and littera-
teur, intimate of Byron, Moore, Shelley and
Keats. In America Thomas Sterry Hunt,
born 182(1, and Edward B. Hunt, born 1822.
attained eminence, the first as a chemist and
geologist, the other as a military engineer.

(I) William Hunt was born in England
about 1605, died in Marlboro, Massachusetts,
in October, 1667. In parish register of Hali-
fax, Yorkshire, says that William, son of
Robert Hunt, was born 1605, and was bap-
tized January 27, 1605. He came from York-
shire. England, in 1635, and was one of the
founders of the town of Concord. Massachu-
setts. June 2, 1641, he was made freeman.
He removed to Marlboro, where he resided
at the time of his death. He made his will
October 21, 1667, and it was probated Decem-
ber 17, 1667. In this will he leaves to his
heirs fifteen parcels of land containing six
hundred and twenty-six acres and other prop-
erty appraised at five hundred and ninety-six
pounds twelve shillings, Concord; and prop-
erty of the value of thirty-six pounds eighteen
shillings in Marlborough. William Hunt
married (first) Elizabeth Best, who died at
Concord, December 2~j, 1661 ; (second) 1664,
Merc>', whose maiden name was Hurd. Be-
fore marrying Mr. Hunt she had married and
become the widow, first of Thomas Bingham,
and second of Edmund Rice. His children,
all by wife Elizabeth, were: Nehemiah,
Samuel, Elizabeth, Hannah, Isaac, next men-
tioned.

(II) Isaac, youngest child of William and
Elizabeth (Best) Hunt, was born in 1647,
and resided in Concord. His estate was ap-
praised December 12, 1680, at two hundred
and seventy pounds, sixteen shillings, and
April 5, 1681, his widow Mary was granted
administration. April 6, 1686. the children
had guardians. He married, May 14, 1667,
Alary Stone, daughter of John Stone, of Cam-
bridge. She married (second) November 30,
1681, Eliphalet Fox, of Concord. Children
of Isaac and Mary: Isaac (died young), Han-
nah, Samuel, Isaac, Ebenezer.

(III) Isaac (2), third son of Isaac (1)
and Mary (Stone) Hunt, was born in Con-
cord, November 18. 1675, died December 6.

1717. He resided in Sudbury, January 20,

1718, his widow was appointed administratrix
of his estate, the inventory of which, Decem-



ber 25. amounted to one thousand four
hundred and seventy pounds five shillings.
Among the items enumerated are "a bought
servant maid, £8 ;" eight lots of land, 290
acres, with two houses, &c." The prop-
erty was in the probate court four-
teen years. Mary, the widow, died be-
fore the estate was discharged and was suc-
ceeded by her son Isaac. Isaac Hunt mar-
ried Mary Willard, who after his decease
married (second) Ebenezer Leland. of Sher-
born, August 29, 1721. The children of Isaac
and Mary were : Isaac, Thomas, Mary,
Ebenezer, Samuel. John, Simon. Henrv and
Abidah.

(IV) Isaac (3), eldest child of Isaac (2)
and Mary (Willard) Hunt, died in Sudbury,
August 22, 1781. He married, December 8,
1721. Martha Goodnow, and they had: Wil-
liam (died young), Hannah (died young),
William, Patience, Isaac, Hannah, Martha,
Aaron, Eunice, Samuel (died young) and
Samuel.

(V) William (2), eldest son of Isaac (3)
and Martha (Goodnow) Hunt, was born No-
vember 13, 1722, died April 4, 1802, aged
eighty. He married, January 1, 1750, Mary
Wheeler; she died June 13, 1810. aged seven-
ty-seven years. Their children were : Abi-
gail, William, Molly, Martha, Ann, Hamon,
Elisha (died young), Elizabeth, Sarah, Elisha
and Patience.

(VI) William (3), eldest son of William

(2) and Mary (Wheeler) Hunt, was born in
Sudbury, March 7, 1753, died September 18,
1845, aged ninety-two years. He resided in
Sudbury. By his wife. Mary Plympton, he
had twelve children: Peter (died young),
Molly, William, John, Ruth. Peter, Israel,
Abigail, Patience, Thomas, Nathan and Sally.

(VII) William (4), second son of William

(3) and Mary (Plympton) Hunt, was born
October 7, 1775. died November 16, 1851. He
lived in Sudbury all his life, and acquired
large property. He married (first) Septem-
ber 20, 1796, Thankful Wheeler, who died
December 9, 1808, aged twenty-nine. He
married (second) Esther Brigham, June 9.
181 1. The children of Thankful, the first
wife, were: Aaron, William, Cyrus Asahel
(died young), Abel (died young), and Caro-
line; by wife Esther: Harriet, Mary, Abel,
Andrew, Elizabeth, Thomas, Asahel and Abi-
gail (twins) and George.

(VIII) Caroline, only daughter of Wil-
liam (4) and Thankful (Wheeler) Hunt, was
born June 9, 1808, and married. May 28, 1826,
Lvman Haynes (see Haynes VII).



1768



MASSACHUSETTS.



Springfield, so named by Wil-
CHAPIN Ham Pynchon, its founder, on
April 16, 1640, in honor of his
native place in England, had been known by
him and bis small band of migrants who came
from Roxbury in 1636. in the early spring, and
settled with their families on the Connecticut
river, calling the place by its Indian name, Ag-
awam. The town was in the Colony of Massa-
chusetts Bay and enclosed a territory of prob-
ably twenty-five square miles, as it embraced
what is now West Springfield, West-
field, Southwick, Sufheld, Enfield, Long
Meadow, Somers, Wilbraham and Lud-
low, the nucleus being Agawam, or as
known after 1640, Springfield, and the
Indians and white men lived in peace
and carried on a mutually advantageous trade-
in corn, skins, and general produce for forty
years. This peace was dispelled by the destruc-
tion wrought in the peaceful valley in 1675,
through the agency of Philip of Pokanoket,
the youngest son of Massasoit, who created a
union of Indian tribes for offensive operations
against the whites, resulting in a "general ris-
ing of the natives to sweep these hated intrud-
ers from the ancient hunting grounds of the
Indian race." Springfield, the most prosper-
ous town in the colony, fell under the ban of
savage destruction and the Indians pillaged the
plain, burned upwards of thirty houses and
well filled barns, and destroyed mills and
growing crops just ready for harvest, for it
was October and corn and apples were abund-
ant crops. A mild winter followed, and the
plain was saved from the threatened desertion
by the remaining homeless families. It was
amid such scenes that Deacon Samuel Chapin
in New England lived with his family and
helped in the work of rehabilitation.

(I) Samuel Chapin had come to the Colony
of Massachusetts Bay previous to 1642, as his
name is among the subscribers to the oath of
allegiance made before the general court, June
2, 1641. He brought with him his wife whose
surname was Cisily and children born either in
England or Wales, whence he came, or in or
about Boston. The Boston records give a
Shem Chapin and Deborah, his wife, who had
a daughter, Jane, born September 16, 1665.
This may have been his eldest son who re-
mained in Boston and died without male issue.
The children who came to Springfield were :
Japhet, (q. v.), born 1642 ; Henry, married, De-
cember 5, 1664, Bethea, daughter of Benjamin
and Sarah Cooley, of Long Meadows; Catha-
rine, married (first) November 20, 1646, Na-



thaniel Bliss, who died in 1654, (second) June
30, 1655, Thomas Gilberts, who died in 1662,
(third) December 8, 1064, Samuel Marshfield,
who died in 1692, and the thrice widow died
February 4, 171 2, having given birth to ten
children ; David who married Lydia Crump,
29th 6 mo. 1654, and had seven children born
at Springfield ; Josiah died September 10, 1726;
Sarali dud August 5, 1684. Their youngest
child, Hannah, was born in Springfield, De-
cember 2, 1644. We do not know that the or-
der of names is in accordance with the order
of their birth. Japhet and Henry settled in
the north part of Springfield, David resided a
few years in the center of Springfield and then
removed to Boston ; Josiah settled in Mendon,
Worcester county, and was an original grantee
of that town. Springfield records give "Jo-
siah Chapin married Mary, son Samuel born
November 1 1, 1659." He may have gone from
Springfield to Braintree and thence to
Mendon. Sarah married Rowland Thom-
as, and had thirteen children. Hannah
married, September 27, 1666, Deacon John
Hitchcock and had nine children. By deed
dated March 9, 1666, John Pynchon conveyed
to Samuel Chapin the greater part of the land
lying in the valley between Chicopee river and
Willimasett brook, and by deed dated April
16. 1673. Samuel Chapin conveyed this same
premises to his son, Japhet Chapin. Japhet
also owned one-half of his father's premises,
known as the home lot next south of the min-
istry lot in the center of the village of Spring-
field, where Deacon Samuel died November n,
1075, and in 1667 Japhet sold his half of the
property to Deacon John Hitchcock, husband
of Hannah. The widow, Cisily Chapin, died
February S, 1683.

1 II 1 Japhet, son of Deacon Samuel and
Cisily Chapin, was born in 1042. He probably
for a time resided in Milford in the Connecti-
cut colon v as. in a deed made by Worshipful
Captain John Pynchon of Springfield, he con-
veyed to Japhet Chapin, of Milford, Connecti-
cut Colony, a small strip of land near Connecti-
cut river in Springfield, bound east by Deacon
Chapin's land: deed dated November 16, 1669.
He, however, built a house at the upper end of
Chicopee street, northwesterly of where the
dwelling house of Henry Sherman was stand-
ing in 1S62, and this house was on the land
deeded to him by his father, April 16, 1673.
He was present at the fight with the Indians at
Turner's Falls, May 18. 1673, as appears in a
memorandum made in his own handwriting on
the outside leaf of an old account book belong-



MASSACHUSETTS.



1769



ing to him, which reads: "I went out as volun-
teer against Indians in 17 May, 1676 and we
engaged in battle 19 May in the morning be-
fore sunrise, and made great spoil upon the en-
emy and came off the same day with the loss of
thirty-seven men and the captain Turner, and
came home the twentieth of May." (The orig-
inal orthography is not used in this copy. ) He
married (first) July 22, 1664, Abilenah Cooley,
and she died November 17, 1710. She was the
mother of all his children. He married (sec-
ond) May 31, 1711, Dorothy Root, of Enfield,
Connecticut, who probably after his death mar-
ried Obediah Miller, of Enfield, Connecticut,
in 1720-21. Upon his death, February 20,
1712, his remains were buried alongside the
grave of his first wife, the mother of his chil-
dren. Their children in the order of their
birth are: 1. Samuel, born July 4, 1665, mar-
ried, December 24, 1690, Hannah Sheldon;
had ten children ; died in Springfield, October

19, 1729. 2. Sarah, March 16, 1668, married
March 24, 1690, Nathaniel Munn. 3. Thomas
(q. v.), May 10, 1671. 4. John, May 14, 1674,
married Sarah Bridgman, the marriage being
published January 24, 1702; had eight chil-
dren; died June 1, 1759. 5- Ebenezer, men-
tioned at length with descendants in this arti-
cle. 6. Hannah, June 21, 1679, died July 7,
1679. 7. Hannah, July 18, 1680 (q. v.). 8.
David, November 16, 1682, married, Novem-
ber 21, 1705, Sarah, daughter of Joseph and
Sarah Stebbins, had twelve children ; married
(second) Mindwell Holton, of Northampton.
His first wife, the mother of all his children,
died February 6, 1726, his second wife October

20, 1758, and he died July 8, 1772, aged ninety
vears. He was deacon of the church of Chico-
pee Parish. 9. Jonathan, February 20, 1685,
died March 1, 1686. 10. Jonathan, September
23, 1688, married, April 20, 1710, Elizabeth,
daughter of Jonathan and Lydia Burt, of Long
Meadow ; they had eleven children ; he died
February 23, 1760-61, and his widow January
3 r , l 7^9' aged eighty years. Hannah, seventh
child of Japhet and Abelinah (Cooley) Chap-



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 80 of 145)