William Richard Cutter.

Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) online

. (page 88 of 145)
Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 88 of 145)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


practice medicine at 796 State street, Spring-
field, where he has continued with notable suc-
cess to the present time. He is a member of
the Massachusetts Medical Society, the Amer-
ican Medical Association and the Springfield
Academy of Medicine. Pie is a prominent
Free Mason, a member of Springfield Lodge;
of Springfield Chapter, Royal Arch Masons;
of Springfield Council, Royal and Select Mas-
ters ; of Springfield Commandery, Knights
Templar ; of Springfield Chapter, Rose Croix ;
of Massasoit Council, Princes of Jerusalem;
of Evening Star, Lodge of Perfection ; of Mas-
sachusetts Consistory, thirty-second degree;
of Melha Temple, Mystic Shrine; and also of
the Nayasset Club and the Masonic Club of
Springfield. Pie and his family are members
of St. Peter's Protestant Episcopal Church of
Springfield.

He married, at Philadelphia, April 25, 1906,.
Jane Morris Keller, born December 26, 1863,
at Philadelphia, only child of Paul Peter and
Cornelia M. (Morris) Keller. Her father was
a wholesale coal dealer. They have no chil-
dren. Jane Morris (Keller) Hewitt is an ar-
tist of no mean ability, having many valuable
etchings to her credit ; she is a graduate of the
Academy of Design of Philadelphia, Pennsyl-
vania.



The family of Carmi-
CARMICHAEL chael was seated in Lan-
arkshire, Scotland, as
early as 1350. They still reside there and hold
the earldom of Hynford, viscountcies of
Memphlar and Inglisbery and lordship of Car-
michael. In 1606. letters were sent by the
king to six of the most distinguished of the
ministers who had not already been seized on
account of the Aberdeen Assembly, ordering
them to appear at the English court in Septem-
ber. Among these ministers was John Car-
michael. Each of these ministers was after-
wards imprisoned or banished to remote parts
of Scotland, for dissenting from the Church
of England.

( 1 1 John Carmichael, immigrant ancestor.
was born in Scotland and came with his broth-
er to America. The brother settled in Georgia,.
and John settled at Sand Lake, Rensselaer
county. New York, where he was a farmer..



MASSACHUSETTS.



1805



He married Canfield, and among his chil-
dren was William, mentioned below.

( II ) William, son of John Carmichael, was
horn in Sand Lake, New York, in 1780. He
was a farmer there and a citizen of promi-
nence. He had a farm of some two hundred
and fifty acres, and did besides, a large busi-
ness in real estate. He was justice of the
peace, and also received the government ap-
pointment of head surveyor, which office he
held until he was obliged to give it up on ac-
count of ill health. He had an inventive mind
and a taste for mechanics. The first cast-iron
ploughshare and mould board were made by
him, and he drove to Boston with them and
placed them on exhibition there. Afterwards,
with his son-in-law. Dr. Judson, of West Sand
Lake, he engaged in the manufacturing busi-
ness. He was a prominent member of the
Free Masons. In politics he was a Democrat,
and in religion an active member of the Bap-
tist church. He was a captain in the war of
1812. He married Mary Kelley, born at Nas-
sau, New York, in 1826, of Irish parentage,
died in 1868. He died in 1876, aged ninety-
six years. He had seven children who lived to
adult age, the eldest being John Hosea, men-
tioned below.

(Ill) Dr. John Hosea, son of Captain Wil-
liam Carmichael, was born at Sand Lake, New
York, January 29, 185 1. He attended the pub-
lic schools until his fifteenth year and gradu-
ated at Schram's Academy at Sand Lake in
1866, and from Nassau Academy, Nassau,
New York, in 1867. He taught school one
year at Chatham and another at Lebanon
Springs, New York, besides teaching at Sand
Lake during the winter. He studied medicine
in the office of Dr. Oliver J. Peck, of North
Chatham, New York, until 1873, and during
that time took a course of study in the medical
department of the Union L T niversity at Al-
bany, graduating February 24, 1873, with the
degree of Doctor of Medicine. He also spent
some time in the office of Dr. J. M. Bigelow.
After graduation he settled in Worcester, Mas-
sachusetts, where he remained until 1883, with
the exception of two years, when he took a
post graduate course at the New York Homeo-
pathic Hospital and the College of Physicians
and Surgeons. He became very successful in
surgical cases, and was the first resident Wor-
cester physician who was a successful operator
in ovariotomy. In January, 1883, he removed
to Boston to take up a surgical and gynecolo-
gical practice, but, finding the sea air did not
agree with him, he relinguished a good busi-

iv— 5



ness and went farther inland, to Springfield,
where lie entered upon a general and surgical
practice. He per formed operations for other
homoeopathic physicians in and near the city,
being the only special surgeon of that school
in Springfield.

He was the promoter of the Hamp-
den Homoeopathic Hospital, ( later Wesson
Memorial Hospital), and it was through his
influence that Daniel B. Wesson, of Spring-
field, became its benefactor. In 1900 he was
appointed surgeon-in-chief of that institution
and still retains that position. Under his ef-
ficient management the hospital has acquired a
wide reputation. He is a charter member of
the Surgical and Gynecological Society of Bos
ton, and in 1884 served as its president. From
1873 to 1883 he was a member of the Wor-
cester County Homoeopathic Society, of which
he was president in 1879. Since 1876 he has
been a member of the Western Massachusetts
Homoeopathic Medical Society, and in 1885
was president of that organization. Since 1883
he has been a member of the American Insti-
tute of Homoeopathy, and since 1875 has been
a member of the Massachusetts Homoeopathic
Medical Society. He is a member of the
Springfield Lodge of Free Masons and Ma-
sonic Club. He has always been a lover of
fine horses, and as a recreation has driven in
matinees. Among the well-known horses he
has owned are : Curtis, 2.07 ; Redinda, 2.07 J4 !
Nemoline, 2.1 1 % ; Sterling, 2.09*4 : Germaine,
2.15; Bella Wilkes, 2.13^; Mermaid, 2.26;
Jubilee, 2.17J/J ; Daisy Queen, 2.24 1-5; Win-
nie Wilkes, 2.2834 ar >d a great many others.
In politics he is a Republican, and he and his
family attend the Highland Baptist Church.
He married, at New Lebanon. New York,
March 17, 1875, Anna Elizabeth Spencer,
born there March 13, 1854. daughter of
Charles Harrison and Pauline Elizabeth (Wil-
cox ) Spencer, of that town. Her father was a
farmer. They have one child. Pauline, born
July 21, 1902, who is now in school.



Stratton is what is known
STRATTON as a place name, and prob-
ably originated from the
Anglo-Saxon straet, meaning a paved road,
and the Saxon tun, a small village. In 1124
the lands of Stratton, in Scotland, were given
to Alexander, son of Robert, and he became
Alexander de Stratton, though the prefix de
was afterwards dropped, and the name took
its present form : in the colonial records the
name is spelled in various ways, as, for in-



i8o6



MASSACHUSETTS.



stance, Stroughton, Straiton, and Stretton.
There were families of this name living in
Virginia and New Jersey very early, as well
as in all parts of New England.

(I) John Stratton, of Watertown, was born
in 1642, and his home lot in Watertown joined
that of his father-in-law, who was one of the
proprietors of that place. He married Mary,
daughter of Thomas and Mary (Knapp)
Smith ; he died April 7, 1691 and she died Sep-
tember 27, 1 719. Their children were : John,
born 1668, died 1708; Thomas; James, born
January 18, 1672; .Mary; Sarah; Hannah; Ju-
dee, born August 13, [680, died young; Jona-
than, born August 22, 1684; Mercy, baptized
July 30, 1687; Samuel, baptized May 10, 1691.

(II) Thomas, second son of John and Mary
(Smith) Stratton, was born October 26, 1670.
at Watertown, Massachusetts, where he lived
in the Western Precinct, and December 16,
1732, was still living there. December 1,
1727, he became surveyor of highways. He
married, July 19, 1699, Dorcas, daughter of
Thomas and Dorcas Maxwell, born February
27, 1678. Thomas Maxwell was a sealer of
leather, and resided at Boston, where he was
a member of the Scots Charitable Society.
Children of Thomas Stratton : James ;
Thomas, born February 12, 1702; Dorcas,
.March 2, 1705; Mary, January 8, 1706; Da-
vid, 1708; Samuel, October 19, 1709, Eben-
ezer, baptized July 12, 1 7 1 3 , died in infancy;
Ebenezer, baptized May 15, 1715; Mercy,
baptized January 13, 1717.

(III) James, oldest son of Thomas and
Dorcas (Maxwell) Stratton, was born June
29, 1700, at Watertown, Massachusetts, and
died October 22, 1776. Until his marriage he
lived in Charlestown and Boston, then re-
moved to Stoughton, Connecticut, where he
lived about seven years, and then returned to
Massachusetts, settling at Athol, then called
Pequod, where he became one of the town
proprietors. He married Deborah, daughter
of William and Persis (Pierce) Rand, Octo-
ber 12, 1 72 1 ; she belonged to an old Charles-
town family. Their children were: Mary,
born at Charlestown, died in May, 1724, aged
sixteen months ; Mary, born in Boston, bap-
tized in Cambridge, September 17, 1724;
James, bom in 1729, in Stonington ; Deborah,
November 4, 1733, at Stonington: William,
born 1735 ; Elizabeth, born at Athol ; Stephen ;
Abigail; Peleg, born 1748, at Athol.

(IV) Stephen, third son of James and De-
borah (Rand) Stratton, was born in 1743, at
Athol, Massachusetts, where he died March



31, 1 814. April 19, 1775, he responded to the
call to Lexington, and served as sergeant in
Captain Ichabod Dexter's company ; Septem-
ber 28, 1777, he re-enlisted, and served in
Colonel Nathan Sparhawk's regiment, with
the Northern Army, at the reduction of Bur-
goyne. He married, in 1767, Martha Graves,
of Athol, who died November 15, 1810. aged
sixty-six, and their children were : Hannah,
born 1767; Nathaniel; Levi, 1772; Nancy,
1774; Abner, 1776; Stephen, 1778, died aged
six years; Ezra, 1781 : Stephen, 1783, died
aged eighteen years; Harvey; Martha, 1785-
(V) Nathaniel, oldest son of Stephen and
Martha (Graves) Stratton, was born January
or June 30, 1770, and died September 27,
1837. He married. May 15, 1792, Esther,
daughter of Nathan and Tamsin ( Upham )
Richardson. Captain George Barbour, born
1615, came to America in 1635, in the "Trans-
port," and married, in 1642, in Dedham,
Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Mary
Clark, who died December 22, 1683 ; he lived
in Dedham and Medfield, Massachusetts, and
died at the latter place April 13, 1685. They
had a son Samuel. Samuel Barbour (II)
born November 6, 1646, died December 29,
1736, at Medfield. He married, December 22,
1674, Mary Harding, born May 16, 1653, died
January II, 1730, and they had a daughter
Hannah. Hannah Barbour (III) born Sep-
tember 25, 1683, died February 6, 1755, mar-
ried October 18, 1706, Joseph, son of John
(II) and grandson of John (I) Richardson,
of Watertown, who was born in 1687, died
October 5, 1768, and they had a son Samuel.
Samuel Richardson (IV), born March 13,
1713, died 1767, married April 2. 1734, Mary
Allin, born June 10, 1717, and they had a son
Nathan. Nathan Richardson (V), born No-
vember 15, 1739, died 1810. married, Febru-
ary 16, 1764, Tamsin, daughter of Isaac and
Anna ( Gilbert) Upham, born December 26,
1744, died March < 2, 1776, and they had a
daughter Esther. *Esther Richardson, (VI),
married Nathaniel Stratton, and they had a
son Harvey.

i VI ) Harvey, son of Nathaniel and Esther
(Richardson) Stratton, was born May 23,
1793, and died June 8, 1844. He married,
November 11, 1816, Hannah, daughter of
James and Lucinda 1 Stetson) Foster, born
September 21, 1794. died August 26, 1861.
Benjamin Foster, of Lunenburg, Massachu-
setts married Mehitable Steward, and they
had a son Joseph. Joseph Foster was a revo-
lutionary soldier, and married Sarah Locke




/ P. cH€Zttf<0



MASSACHUSETTS.



1807



Jones, daughter of William and Sarah
(Locke) Jones; William Jones was a dis-
tinguished surveyor, who perished at sea,
January 26, 1761, and built at Lunenburg, a
house known as the "Castle," still in the pos-
session of the family. James, son of Joseph
and Sarah (Jones) Foster, married Lucinda
Stetson, and they had a daughter, Hannah,
who married Harvey Stratton, above men-
tioned. Harvey and Hannah (Foster) Strat-
ton had a son J. Dwight.

( VII) Joseph Dwight, son of Harvey and
Hannah (Foster) Stratton, was born in North-
field, August 16, 1833, and died in Springfield,
July 16, 1902. His father died when Joseph
was eleven years old, and he stayed on the
farm until he was fifteen, when he entered
Keene Academy, of which Rev. C. L. Wood-
worth was then principal. In 1849 ne studied
another year in the academy under Mr. Tor-
rance, who had taken Mr. Woodworth's place.
The question of finance had to be considered,
and in June, 1849, ne apprenticed himself to a
printer. He worked two evenings a week, and
kept up his studies. In 1852 he attended
Northfield Academy, of which Rev. C. E.
Bruce was then principal. In vacations Mr.
Stratton worked full time in the printing of-
fice, and for a year he was foreman of the
Keene American News office. After exper-
ience in the Gilsum (New Hampshire) school
district a period to which he looked back with
pleasure on account of the novel experience of
boarding around, coasting and sleighing parties
and other delights of a country teacher's life
he studied at Brattleboro under Mr. Bruce,
and later was invited to take charge of the
academy at Feeding Hills, which was the in-
termediate stepping stone to Springfield. In
December, 1855, he was asked to teach the Au-
burn street grammar school, then the only
grammar school in Ward One. His first few-
weeks were marked by some unpleasant ex-
periences that were a severe trial to a young
teacher, but by tact and perseverance he lived
them down, and then everything went on
smoothly as could be asked. He was in charge
of the Auburn street school for ten years, and
in the last five years there was not a single
case of corporal punishment. From 1865 to
1895 h e was principal of the Hooker grammar
school, and as principal of this school he will
be best remembered. Year after year he sent
to the high school classes which reached an un-
usually high mark, and as he advanced in age
he never lost touch with improvements and
changes in education. When the new Carew



street school was erected he was transferred to
that building, as the Hooker grammar school
became practically the Carew street school. In
this position he remained until his retirement a
short time before his death. He was a mem-
ber of the Hampden County Teachers' Asso-
ciation and the New England Association, and
an attendant at the National Association meet-
ings. Besides his school work, Mr. Stratton
took an important place in Memorial Church
for a quarter of a century, was one of its first
deacons, and at least two-thirds of the time
was superintendent of the Sunday school ; but
he succeeded in keeping the two fields of work
far apart so that one never interfered with
the other. In politics he was a Republican.
He was a Mason for forty years, being a mem-
ber of Hampden Lodge, and was also a mem-
ber of the Winthrop Club. For several years
he was a trustee of the Moody school in Mt.
Hermon. His active service as a teacher ex-
tended over forty years. He died suddenly at
his home, 23 Holyoke street, July 16, 1902.
About one o'clock of that morning Mrs. Strat-
ton was awakened by Mr. Stratton's heavy
breathing. A physician was called, but fifteen
minutes after the attack, and before medical
assistance could be given, he breathed his last.
Death was entirely unexpected, as he had been
in comparatively good health, with no indi-
cations of immediate and serious heart trou-
ble. J. Dwight Stratton married, November
21, i860, Helen Sophia Fuller, born March 11,
1835, fourth daughter of Benjamin and Cyn-
thia (Collins) Fuller, of Monson, who
survives him, and resides in Springfield.
Before her marriage she taught with Mr.
Stratton in the Auburn street school, and al-
ways entered enthusiastically into all the inter-
ests which touched his life. Their only child
Willie F. Stratton, a boy of much promise,
died August 12, 1863, after a few days sick-
ness, just at the close of his second year.



(For first generation see Thomas Graves 1).

(II) Sergeant Isaac Graves,
GRAVES son of Thomas, was born in
England as early as 1620 and
came to New England with his father. He
settled in Hartford before 1645. He was
admitted a freeman May 16, 1669. He was
sergeant of the militia and clerk of the writs
for Hatfield, where he removed in 1661. He
was killed in the Indian attack on the Hat-
field settlement, September 19, 1677. He and
his brother John were engaged at the time in
shingling John's house. He married Mary



i8o8



MASSACHUSETTS.



Church, daughter of Richard and Anna
Church. Children: i. Mary, born July 5,
1647, married, January 28. 1665, Eleazer
Frary. 2. Isaac, August 22, 1650, died un-
married. 3. Rebecca, July 3, 1652-53, died
unmarried. 4. Samuel, October 1, 1655. 5.
Sarah, married, April 27, 1677, Benjamin
Barret. 6. Elizabeth, burn March 16, 1661,
married, 1683, Benjamin Hastings. 7. John,
1664, mentioned below. 8. Hannah, January
24, 1666, married William Sackett. 9. Jona-
than, (twin) January 24. 1666. 10. Mehita-
ble, October 1, 1671. married (first) January
29, 1690, Richard Morton; (second) William
Worthington; died March 22, 1742.

(III) John, son of Isaac Graves, was born
in 1664. He married, October 26, 1686, at
Chelmsford, Sarah Banks, daughter of John
Banks. His son Elnathan was appointed ad-
ministrator of his estate, November 12, 1746.
He lived in Hatfield. Children: 1. Isaac,
born July 10, 1688. 2. Benjamin, August 12,
1689. 3. Sarah, 1691. 4. Jemima, April 30,
1693, married (first) May 5, 171 5, John
Graves; (second) March 17, 1720. Eleazer
Allis. 5. Mary, November 9, 1695, married
(first) July 23, 1719, Jonathan Frary; (sec-
ond ) Eliakim King. 6. Elnathan, August 20,
1699, mentioned below. 7. Hannah, June 4,
1701, married Eleazer King. 9. Eunice, Sep-
tember 29, 1703. 9. Aaron, February 2, 1707.

(IV) Elnathan, son of John Graves, was
born in Hatfield, August 20, 1699, died there
February 17, 1785, aged eighty-five years. He
bought a large tract of land in what was af-
terwards Williamsburg, where three of his
grandsons settled. He married (first)
March 2, 1727, Martha Dickinson, born De-
cember 25, 1701, died January 9, 1756, daugh-
ter of Deacon Nathaniel Dickinson, of Hat-
field. He married (second) Dorothy Belding,
who died May 9, 1800, widow of John Beld-
ing and daughter of Ebenezer Morton. Chil-
dren, born in Hatfield: 1. Seth, December
17, 1727. 2. Perez, April 26, 1730. mention-
ed below. 3. Silas, February 8, 1732. 4.
Lucy, May 8, 1734, married, December 28,
1758, Benjamin Wells; died September 22,
181 5. 5. Martha, February 26, 1739, mar-
ried. December 28, 1758, John Nash; died De-
cember, 1804.

(V) Captain Perez, son of Elnathan
Graves, was born in Hatfield, April 26, 1730,
died December 17, 1809. His house, which he
built in 1760, is still standing, shaded by two
beautiful elms. He was in the revolution, a
captain. He married (first) May 16, 1754,



Martha Gillett, who died October 28, 1793,
daughter of Samuel Gillett. He married (sec-
ond) Zeruiah White, born November 30,
1741, died December 13, 1820, widow of Lieu-
tenant Elihu White, and daughter of Ebenezer
Cole, of Hatfield. Children, born in Hatfield :

I. Samuel, May 4, 1755, married Abigail
Edgerton. 2. Elisha, September 2, 1757,
married Catherine Parsons. 3. Martha, April

28, 1759, married Moses Montague; died
January 5, 1820. 4. Perez, January 2, 1761,
died 1856; married (first) Eunice Bryant;
(second) Experience Parsons. 5. Elnathan,
February 2, 1763, died June, 1827; married
Lydia Pomeroy. 6. Rev. William, February

II, 1766. 7. Solomon, March 12, 1768, men-
tioned below. 8. Levi, January 12, 1771,
married, November 20, 1799, Mary Smith. 9.
Timothy, April 30, 1775, married Lydia
Graves.

( VI ) Solomon, son of Captain Perez.
Graves, was born in Hatfield, March 12, 1768,
died October 8, 1843. He was a farmer in
Hatfield and built the house now occupied by
his grandson Thaddeus, mentioned below. He
was much interested in cattle and raised stock
to sell for beef. In politics he was a Whig and
in religion a Congregationalist. He married,
December 4, 1793, Esther Bliss, born 1763,
died May 26, 1839, daughter of Ebenezer and
Sarah ( G ioley ) Bliss, of Longmeadow. Chil-
dren, born in Hatfield: 1. Thaddeus, Septem-
ber 11, 1794, married Polly Gerry. 2. Eliza,
June 26, 1796, married John Wells. 3. Solo-
mon. December 3, 1798, mentioned below. 4.
Ebenezer, March 31, 1801, married Rowena
Wells. 5. William, October 30, 1804, died
while in college, May 3, 1825.

(VII) Solomon (2), son of Solomon (1)
Graves, was born December 3, 1798, in Hat-
field, died there June 25, 1867. He lived on
the homestead. He was a Republican and was
for several years selectman. In religion he
was a Congregationalist. He married (first)
November 25, 1824, Pamelia Osborne, born
December 2, 1803, died February 23, 1826,.
daughter of John Osborne, of Hadley. He
married (second) November 10. 1831, Sophia
Morton, born November 5, 1801. died June 15,
1880, daughter of Consider and Mercy (Clark)
Morton, of Whately. Child of first wife: I.
William O., born December 22. 1825, married
Louisa Smith. Children of second wife: 2.
Thaddeus, November r, 1834, mentioned be-
low. 3. Sophia, June 4. 1836, married, March

29, 1859, F. J. King; died January 11, 1872.

(VIII) Thaddeus, son of Solomon (2),



MASSACHUSETTS.



1809



Graves, was born in Hatfield on the homestead,
Nov.ember 1, 1834. He received his early ed-
ucation in the common schools of Hatfield. He
prepared for college at Williston Seminary
and Munson Academy, and graduated from
Amherst College in 1856. He studied for his
profession in the Albany Law School, from
which he was graduated in the class of 1858.
He was admitted to the bar and immediately
began to practice law in the city of Xew York.
After ten years of close application to the du-
ties of his profession, he found his health im-
paired, and upon the advice of his physician
turned to agriculture for an occupation. He
bought the Graves homestead in Hatfield, and
has since then devoted his attention to the cul-
ture of tobacco, virtually abandoning his pro-
fession. He was a successful lawyer and has
been an equally successful planter. In politics
he is a Republican and he has taken an active
part in town affairs, holding the offices of se-
lectman, school committee and other positions
of trust and honor. He is an active member
of the Congregational Church. He was a mem-
ber of the Resolute Grange of Hatfield ami
was master of the State Grange. He is a mem-
ber of the Franklin and Hampshire Harvest
club. He has settled many estates in Hatfield.
In the history of Hatfield and the Connecticut
Valley and the old families of that section.
Mr. Graves has been especially interested and
he has been a prime mover in the movement to
preserve the ancient houses and landmarks
in this historic locality. He married. Novem-
ber 2, 1866, Mary A. Hubbard, born August
ri, 1833, daughter of John Hubbard. (See
Hubbard family). Children, born in Hatfield:
1. Clara Louisa. October 9, 1867, married, No-
vember 4. 1891, William C. Dickinson; chil-
dren: William H., born August 14. 1892, and
Mary Graves, December 31, 1893. 2 - Laura
Halsted, June 24, i860, now studying voice cul-
ture in Berlin ; is a talented singer and musi-
cian. 3. Mary Augusta Lennox, May 27,
1871. married John S. Carl. Children: Anna
Graves, born October 5, 1896, and Laura Au-
gusta, February 17, 1901. 4. Anna Myers,
September 17, 1872, married Howard Dickin-
son, of Springfield, formerly of Marietta,
Ohio; children: Esther, born August 4, 1904;
Ruth, November 24, 1907. 5. Thaddeus, May
2J, 1874, married Cora King, of Sandusky,
Ohio; children: Elizabeth, born November 24,
1903; Edmund King, February 17. 1905; Ja-
net, October 6, 1906. 6. Perry Mills, Novem-
ber 19, 1877, fued June 25, 1878.



(The Hubbard Line).

(II) John Hubbard, son of George Hub-
bard, (q. v.), was born about 1630 and died
in 1702 at the home of his son Isaac in Hat-
field. In his youth, according to family tra-
dition, he resided with the Merriam family in



Online LibraryWilliam Richard CutterGenealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the state of Massachusetts; (Volume 3) → online text (page 88 of 145)