profession and also in political and social circles. He is known as
a young lawyer of ability, a strong advocate and a political debater of
much pro nise. His qualities have been recognized in the county, and
his election to places of trust and responsibility are a merited reward.
Mr. Rogers was born in the town of Owego, April 18, 1864, and is the
son of the late Dr. C. R Rogers, of Newark Valley. Dr. Rogers is
well remembered by the older medical practitioners of this county as a
physician of the village of Whitney's Point, where he lived several years.
At one time he was president of the Broome County Medical society.
After leaving the Point Dr. Rogers resumed practice in Tioga county,
and was a resident of Newark Valley at the time of his death, in April,
1897. The young life of James T. Rogers was spent in Whitney's
Point, where he was educated in the academic school, and after his
father returned to Tioga county the son attended the public school in
Newark Valley and also the Free academy in Owego. In the latter vil-
lage, on leaving school, he was employed in the post-office, first as clerk,
but was afterward promoted to the position of assistant postmaster,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
which he filled five years. In 1889 he began reading law with Judge
Mead, and at the same time was clerk of the Surrogate's court of Tioga
GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT. 381
county. In 1801 he entered the law department of Cornell university,
and was graduated with the degree of LL.B. in June, 1893. Previous
to the completion of his law course at Cornell, in September, 1893, Mr.
Rogers was admitted to practice. His first legal service was a clerk-
ship in the law firm of White & Cheney, of Syracuse, where he remained
until March, 1894, when he located for practice in Binghamton. His
first law partner was S. Mack Smith, with whom he was associated un-
til October 1, 1898, when the copartnership was dissolved, Mr. Smith
having been elected city recorder. In December following, the present
firm of Roberts, Tuthill & Rogers was formed. In 1895 Mr. Rogers
was appointed police attorney of the city and served in that capacity
until March, 1898. In September of the latter year he was nominated
by the Republican convention of the First or Eastern district of
Broome county as its candidate for the assembly. He was elected by a
a gratifying majority over all opposing candidates. In the legislature
Mr. Rogers proved to be a worthy representative of our county's inter-
ests. The " City Court " bill was framed by him, and under his care
was enacted into a law.
Rollin W. Meeker, former legal associate and graduate of the office
of the late Senator O'Connor, came to the bar in 1892, and has since
been closely identified with the profession, both in the city and county.
He also has been and still is a conspicuous figure in Broome county Re-
publican politics, though his office holdings have been limited to a brief
term as police attorney of the city in 1895. Counselor Meeker prefers
professional rather than political prominence, hence devotes himself
closely to legal work. Since his admission to the bar he has been the
attorney in many important litigations, including an action to set aside
a mortgage of $150,800 on the property of Erastus Ross, former presi-
dent of the Merchants bank. He successfully instituted and prosecuted
mandamus proceedings against the board of street commissioners of the
city of Binghamton, to compel the appointment of a veteran to the po-
sition of superintendent of streets, which was the first case of its kind in
the state. He has organized and is the attorney for many local corpora-
tions. Mr. Meeker was born in' the town of Binghamton, Decem-
ber 25, 1870, and is the son of Eli S. and Samantha (Morgan) Meeker,
his father having been a well-known business man of the town and city
of Binghamton for many years. Mr. Meeker was educated in our pub-
lic schools, and also under private instruction. He read law with Ed-
mund O'Connor, and on February 5, 1893, was admitted to practice.
He is regarded as one of our young lawyers of excellent promise.
383 BINGHAMTON, ITS SETTLEMENT,
Maurice E. Page was born in Triangle, Broome county, December
34, 1860. He is the son and the second of five children of Cyrus
and Marcia (Eldredge) Page, Cyrus Page is the son of the late Solo-
mon Page, the latter being the son of John Page, the pioneer, who
came from Litchfield, Conn., in the early part of the present century
and settled in the locality known as Page Brook in the town of Trian-
gle. Maurice lived on the home farm until he attained his majority.
He was educated in the district school, the Whitney's Point academy,
where he graduated in 188">, and also in Amherst college, graduating
at the latter in 1886. He always took high rank in his classes and for
superior attainments in his college course was elected to membership in
the Plii Beta Kappa society. After graduation from college he was
principal of Whitney's Point academy one year, the Trumansburg acad-
emy two years and of the Union school and academy at Greene three
years. In the early part of 1892 he began reading law with Eugene
Clinton, esq., of Greene, and in August of the same year he came to
this city and finished his studies with Carver, Deyo & Jenkins. At a
General Term of the Supreme court held in Binghamton in February,
1894, Mr. Page was admitted to the practice of law in the courts of this
state. He at once became managing clerk for the firm of Carver, Deyo
& Jenkins and was associated with them until April 1, 1889, when the
present legal partnership of Jenkins & Page was formed. He was ad-
mitted to practice in the U. S. Circuit courts at a term thereof held at
Buffalo, N. Y., in October, 1898. Mr. Page is a comparatively young
member of the city bar, yet in professional circles he is known as a
careful, capable and conscientious lawyer. On August 20, 1889, Mr.
Page married Emma M Coe of Gilbertsville, N. Y. ; one child, Mil-
dred C. Page, has been born of this marriage.
Walter S. Flint was born in South Colton, St. Lawrence county, N.
Y., March 13, 1861. He was educated in the South Colton graded
school, and also the State Normal school at Potsdam, N. Y., from which
he was graduated in 1887. He was then principal of the public schools
at Katonah, Westchester county, N. Y., for the year 1887-88, followed
by a five years' principalship of the Fort Covington acadeni)-, in Frank-
lin, N. Y. While engaged in teaching Prof. Flint (for by this title was he
generally known) devoted his summer vacations to the study of law, first
with Matt C. Ransom, of Fort Covington, next with John A. Vance, of
Potsdam, and still later with Swift & Bell, of Potsdam. Thus equipped
with an elementary education, Mr. Flint entered the law department of
GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT. 383
the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, and was graduated in 1895.
At Albany, on December 3, 1895, he was admitted to practice law in
this state, and two days later opened an office for the practice of his
profession in this city. Mr. Flint practiced alone until October 1, 1897,
when the present law firm of Barnes & Flint was formed. In Katonah,
on March 10, 1890, Mr. Flint married Hattie G., daughter of Joseph
Benedict. They have one child.
Burr W. Mosher was born in North Sanford, Broome county, April 7,
1863, and was the second of three children of Wesson and Elizabeth
(French) Mosher. He lived at home on his father's farm until he was
twenty-four years old, and was educated in the district schools and also
a select school at North Sanford. At the age of seventeen years he
began teaching winter terms of school, and so continued seven years,
devoting the summer season to farm work. In the summer of 1887 he
began a three years' course of study in the Geneseo Normal school at
Geneseo, and was graduated in 1890. He was then appointed principal
of the Union school at Naples, Ontario county, which position he filled
with excellent results for a term of four years; but determining to
enter the legal profession, he came to Binghamton and began the study
of law in the office of George F. Lyon, finishing his course, however,
with Lyon, Painter & Hinman, He passed the required legal examin-
ation in October, 1890, at Syracuse, and was admitted to practice in De-
cember following. Mr. Mosher has practiced law in this city a little
more than three years, and while young in the profession is nevertheless
known as a thorough and practical lawyer. In January, 1897, he was
elected city clerk and served in that capacity two years. On July 5,
1892, Mr. Mosher married Abigail B., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ed-
mund C. Clarke of Naples. One child, Caroline E., has been born of
Royal A. Gunnison, United States Referee in Bankruptcy for Broome
and Delaware counties, was born in this city June 31, 1873. His early
education was acquired in our city schools, he having graduated at the
B.C.H.S with the class of '93. For the next two years he was on the city
staff of the Republican, and in the fall of 1894 he entered Cornell law
school, graduating in 1896. He then read law one year in the office of
G. L. Sessions, and was admitted to the bar at Albany, November 8,
1897. He has since practiced in this city. Mr. Gunnison is one of our
brightest young lawyers, a splendid specimen of physical as well as
mental manhood, and is rapidly winning an enviable standing in the
384 BINGHAMTON. ITS SETTLEMENT,
ranks of the profession. His appointment to the office of referee in
bankruptcy was a deserved recognition of his legal worth. He is also
a Mason in excellent standing, and is now master of Otseningo Lodge
No. 435. The law firm of Gunnison & Hickey was formed in Decem-
Thomas J. Keenan was born in New York city February 20, 1873.
He was educated in the schools of the metropolis and also in the schools
of Hornellsville, to which city he removed with his widowed mother.
He then entered St. Bonaventure's college at Allegany and was gradu-
ated in June, 1892. In September following, Mr. Keenan began read-
ing law with Senator Edmund O'Connor and became the managing
clerk of his offices and in July, 1897, was admitted to the bar. After
admission to the bar his association with the senator continued until the
latter's death in July, 1898. Though an ardent Republican, Mr. Keen-
an devotes his time exclusively to the practice of his profession. On
October 6, 1897, he was married to Matie G., daughter of John W.
William H. Riley was born in Granville, Bradford county. Pa., De-
cember 25, 1872. His early education was acquired in the Granville
schools, but in August, 1888, he came to this city and entered the pub-
lic schools ; and was graduated from the Binghamton Central High school
with the class of "93. He read law with Wales & Wilbur, and was ad-
mitted to practice in October, 1897. He remained in Mr. Wales' office
until October 1, 1898, and then became junior partner in the present
law firm of Wales & Riley. Politically Mr. Riley is a Democrat and
takes an active interest in the affairs of the city and county.
Charles Avery Hickey was born in Auburn, N. Y., June 29, 1874,
and was educated at Williams and Princeton colleges, graduating at the
latter in 1896. He read law with the late Senator Edmund O'Connor,
and was admitted to practice in November, 1898. On December 1, of
the year last mentioned, the law partnership of Gunnison & Hickey was
GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT.
THE MEDICAL PROFESSION.
The medical profession of Binghamton has preserved little of its
own histor)'. While there are few meagre records by which may
be learned something of the proceedings and membership of the
various medical societies which have been formed, there are no re-
liable data upon which can be based a history of the origin and de-
velopment of the profession from the time the first pioneer settled
on the village site, about the beginning of the present century.
The advance in all branches of science during the last century has
indeed been marvelous, but in none has there been greater progress
than the science of medicine and surgery. The dawning of this science
which now sheds its light throughout the world began with Hippoc-
rates, more than twenty-three hundred years ago. He wrote exten-
sively and his works served as a foundation for the subsequent litera-
ture of the profession. The greatest advances, however, in the science
of medicine have been made during the last hundred years, and chiefly
during the last half century. Among the hundreds of discoveries which
have marked this period, mention may he made of one, the use of anes-
thetics, which benumb the nerves of sensation and produce a profound
but tranquil state of insensibility in which the patient sleeps and
dreams, while the physician is left to the pleasing reflection that he is
causing neither pain or suffering.
But there is no department of medicine at the present time more
promising of good results than sanitary science. While pathology and
physiology are making known to us the nature and cause of disease and
functions of the human body, sanitary science is steadily teaching us
how the causes of disease may be removed or avoided, and health
thereby secured. Progress during the coming hundred years, if only
equal to that of the past, will more than have accomplished great works
in the advancement of sanitary science; but the accomplishment of
this work calls not only for the labor of the physician, but also for the
intelligent co-operation of the people. Indeed, if anything really great
386 BINGHAMTON, ITS SETTLEMENT,
is to be done in this direction, and in preventing disease and death, it
must largely be done by the people themselves. This implies that they
must be instructed in sanitary science; must be taught what unsanitary
conditions most favor the origin of disease, how disease is spread, and
the means of its prevention. If it be true that that knowledge is of the
greatest value to us which teaches the means of self-preservation, then
the importance of a widespread knowledge of how to prevent disease
and premature death cannot be overestimated.
Settlement on the site of the present city was begun about 1800, and
progressed slowly during the first quarter of a century of its history.
The locality was favored with an excellent natural drainage system
while the rivers carried away all surface accumulations. However,
about 1850, after the Chenango canal and the Erie railroad were in
operation, the village grew more rapidly, and the authorities began dis-
cussing the question of sewers and pavements. Court street was paved
(between Collier street and the Chenango river bridge) with cobble
stones previous to 1840, but the work was not carried further until after
the village became a city. In 1870 the city population numbered 12,-
692 people, and about that time our sewer system was established, and
at the same time the work of paving was begun on Court street. In
later years the work was increased and carried forward with the growth
of the city in all directions, and to-day we are as well situated from a
sanitary point of view as any city in the east. Much of the credit for
this improved sanitary condition may justly be given to the people, who
have borne the expense thereof, yet the common council and the health
commissioners have been important factors in bringing about the pres-
Binghamton is now a city of approximately 50,000 inhabitants, and
is as well provided with sanitary improvements as almost any munici-
pality in the state. There is room, of course, for still greater strides in
this direction, yet the work is steadily going forward, keeping even pace
with the general municipal growth.
Previous to the early years of the present century, the state of New
York, unlike Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, had done very little to
encourage science in any direction and there were no schools of medi-
cine worthy of the name nearer than Philadelphia and Boston. Few
young medical students could then afford to go so far to qualify them-
selves for a profession which promised so little pecuniary reward, hence
it was the custom of the period for the aspirant to enter the office of
GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT. 387
some practicing physician and read medicine two or three years, at the
same time accompanying his tutor in his professional visits and thus
learn his methods of practice. At the end of his term the young doc-
tor would seek some promising field and begin practice.
THE BROOME COUNTY MEDICAL SOCIETY.
In 1806 the legislature passed an act repealing all former laws relat-
ing to the practice of medicine in this state, and at the same time
authorized the formation of a state medical society and also county so-
cieties. The act itself was passed April 4, 1806, and just three months
later the Broome County Medical society was brought into existence.
The organization meeting was held at the court house, July 4, and
there were present Drs. Phineas Bartholmew, Daniel A. Wheeler,
Jonathan Gray, Ezra Seymour, Elihu Ely and Lewis Allen, all of whom
were original members of the society. The officers were Daniel A.
Wheeler, president; Ezra Seymour, vice-president; Elihu Ely, secre-
tary; Chester Lusk, treasurer. At an adjourned meeting held at Will-
iam Woodruff's tavern in Chenango Point on July 30, the organization
was perfected and several new members were admitted.
The Medical society is an institution of the county rather than of the
city, yet for the purpose of a complete record it is proposed to furnish
in this connection an alphabetical chronological list of its members from
1806 to 1880, with the year of admission to the society. In 1880 the
legislature passed an act providing for the registration of persons as-
suming to practice medicine and surgery, which act was mandatory in
its terms. Having access to the registration records in the Broome
county clerk's office, an accurate list of names of physicians practicing
in the city has been made, in view of which it is unnecessary to include
in the list of members of the society the names of physicians admitted
in years subsequent to 1880.
The following list was originally prepared under the direction of Dr.
John G. Orton, of this city, and through his suggestion it is reproduced
in this chapter:
Lewis Allen, 1806; John H. Arnold, 1829; Warren L. Ayer, 1869;
A. W. K. Andrews, 1871; J. D. Appley, 1877; S. P. Allen, 1867;
Phineas Bartholmew, 1806; Samuel Barclay, 1806; Pelatiah B. Brooks,
1823; Daniel Brainard, 1823; John Barney, 1839; Josiah Blackman,
1830; A. H. Bronson, 1829; Oliver T. Bundy, 1830; William Butler,
1831; Dr. Bird, 1831; John D. Bancroft, 1831; George Burr, 1836;
388 BINGHAMTON. ITS SETTLEMENT.
Rufus Belden, 1838; Elam Bartlett, 1838; Dr. Berks, 1838; Elijah H.
Barnes, 1838; H. M. Baldwin, 1841; James Brooks, 1842; George A.
Barnes, 1842; Pelatiah Brooks, 1850; William Bassett, 1863; Martin
Bullock, 1865; John W. Booth, 1866; W. S. Beebe, 1867; Dan S. Burr,
1868; Walter A. Brooks, 1871; Charles W. Bowen, 1872; S. W. Badger,
1874; Harvey F. Beardsley, 1875; Samuel Birdsall, 1876; F. P. Blair,
1877; James Brooks, 1877; N. R. Earned, 1873; Josiah T. Clark and
Dr. Cleveland, 1832; Alfred Cook, 1842; John Chubbuck, 1844; Royal
R. Carr, 1848; Edwin G. Crafts, 1858; Daniel J. Chittenden, 1862;
Charles Carter, 1863; Joseph PI. Chittenden, 1865; J. Cooley, 1871;
Apollos Comstock, 1874; B M. J. Conlin, 1876; De Witt Clark, 1878;
Henry A. Carr, 1879; Ammi Doubleday, 1823; Nathan S. Davis, 1837;
Wm. H. Day, 1848; Ezekiel Daniels, 1855; Gregory Doyle, 1864; D.
C. Doolittle, 1865; Albert Day, 1868; Charles Dickinson, 1870; Dwight
Dudley, 1874; W. E. Douglass and E. N. Dutcher, 1876; Elihu Ely,
1806; Edwin Eldridge, 1841; Isaac C. Edson, 1866; Henry Oliver Ely,
1867; Charles G. Esterbrook, 1874; Charles C. Edwards, 1875; S. H.
French, 1834; Lucius French, 1854; E. I. Ford, 1862; S. H. French, 2d,
1864; Samuel B. Foster, 1864; James W. Freeman, 1865; Jonathan
Gray, 1806; John G. Orton, 1829; Horace S. Gnswold, 1833; W. S.
Griswold, 1846; Ezekiel Guy, 1865; Lansing Griffin and H. D. Gilbert,
1866; R. T. Gates, 1870; Charles W. Greene, 1873; Jesse Hotchkiss,
1806; Samuel M. Hunt, 1829; D. Hall, 1831; John Hall, 1832; Stephen
D. Hand, 1835; Harry Hemingway, 1838; B. S. Hanford, 1840; Jesse
T. Hotchkiss, 1843; Dr. Hendricks, 1852; S. M. Hand, 1851; S. H.
Harrington, 1855; Carlton R, Heaton, 1864; B. F. Holcomb, 1866;
John Hill, 1868; Patrick H. Hayes, 1870; Henry Hall, 1871; O. C. Hall,
1876; F. M. Hays, 1878; Thomas Jackson, 1829; David Post Jackson,
1805; George H. Jones, 1875; J. Humphrey Johnson, 1879; John H.
Knapp, 1843; Benj. Kenyon and Wm. S. Knox, 1872; Chester Lusk,
1806; Eleazer Lyman, 1838; George Little, 1855; Ezra Lawyer, 1870;
J. G. Lang, 1871; F. D. Lamb, 1876; Levi Maxwell, 1829; Henry
Monroe, 1830; Dr. McElran, 1832; Thaddeus Mather, 1841; Isaac D.
Meacham and H. B. Mabin, 1855; John Munsell, jr , 1865; Franklin T.
Maybury, 1866; John Maroney, 1876; Edward Mulheron, 1877; Daniel
Nash, 1829; Oliver P. Newell, 1829; Wm. H. Niles, 1852; John Gay
Orton, 1854; William J. Orton, 1863; Peter Payne, 1829; Wm. Purin-
ton, 1830; William Peabody, 1834; John Plant, 1846; George E. Pierson,
1870; Frederick W. Putnam, 1880; Tracy Robinson, 1823; Edmund H.
GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT. 889
Robinson, 1839 ; Edmund Robillard, 1 850 ; Charles B. Richards, IBGfi ; Cor-
nelius R. Rogers, 18G8; G. S. Redfield, 1809; Ezra Seymour, 180G; Jonas
Sawtelle, 1839; Gaines L. Spencer and L. F. Stark ey, 1839; Luke Shep-
ard, 1830; Henry Sayles, 1833; John Sullivan, 1837; Loren Salisbury,
1845; Dr. Shutts, 1845; H. D. Spencer, 1858; Charles J. Seymour, 1863;
A. L. Sweet, 1866; Frank Sturdevant, 1870; Cyrenius D. Spencer, 1871;
W. E.Stephenson, 1871; A. B. Stillson, 1876; Thaddeus Thompson, 1806;
Asahel Todd, 1813; Wm. Thompson, 1813; Frank A.Taylor, 1869;
Susan J. Tabor, 1874; Wm. Voorhees, 1863; John L. Van Alstyne,
1874; Daniel A. Wheeler, 1806; Thomas Woodbury, 1833; Silas West,
1833; Reuben Winston, 1830; J. Woodbury, 1830; George Wattle.s,
1833; Robert L. Woodruff, 1834; Amos Witherill, 1834; Charles O.
Waters, 1843; Charles E. Washburn, 1849; Henry S. West, 1850;
Thomas Webb, 1850; P. M. Way, 1858; W. W. Whitney, 18G5; Lin-
naeus D. Witherill, 1868; Emily H. Wells, 1875; Joseph Whitney, 1880;
O. J. Wilsey, 1880; George B. Young, 1865.
In this connection it is also interesting to note the succession of pres-
idents and secretaries of this pioneer society of the county:
Preside>its.—T)a.me.\ A. Wheeler, 1806-13; Chester Lusk, 1813-33;
Tracy Robinson, 1833-36; Pelatiah B. Brooks, 1836-38; Silas West,
1838-39; O. T. Bundy, 1839-40; Stephen D. Hand, 1840-43; Salphro-
niusH. French, 1843-44; George Burr, 1844-45; A. P. Bronson, 1845-
46; Pelatiah B. Brooks, 1846-49; Samuel M. Hunt, 1849-50; S. H.
French, 1850-51; Thomas Jackson, 1851-53; S. H. French, 1853-54;
George Burr, 1854-56; John G. Orton, 1856-57; Ezekiel Daniels, 1857-
58; S. H. Harrington, 1858-59; Edwin G. Crafts, 1859-60; P. M. Way,
1860-61; W. S. Griswold, 1861-03; I. D. Meacham, 1803-03; Wm. Voor-
hees, 186 3-04; Wm. Ba sett, 1864-65; George Burr, 1805-66; Lansing
Griffin, 1806-07; Carlton R. Heaton, 1867-08; S. H. French, 3d, 1868-
69; Joseph H. Chittenden, 1809-70; Isaac C. Edson, 1870-71; James
Brooks, 1871-73; Cornelius R. Rogers, 1873-73; A. W. K. Andrews,
1873-74; H. C. Hall, 1874-75; L. D. Witherell, 1875-70 ; Walter Brooks,
1876-77; S. P. Allen, 1877-78; Charles G. Esterbrook, 1878-79; C. W.
Greene, 1879-80; A. F. Taylor, 1880-81; Charles B. Richards, 1881-83;
Dwight Dudley, 1883-83; Dan S. Burr, 1883-84; John W. Booth, 1884-
85; Frederick W. Putnam, 1885-86; S. F. McFarland, 1886-87; Harvey
F. Beard-sley, 1887-88; David Post Jackson, 1888-89; John M. Farring-
ton, 1889-90; William A. Moore, 1890-91; E. A. Pierce, 1891-93; R.W.
Seymour, 1893 - 93; LeRoy D. Farnham, 1893-94; Edward L. Smith,
390 BINGHAMTON, ITS SETTLEMENT.
1894-95; Charles G. Wagner, 1895-96; Barna E. Radeker, 1896-97 ; Ira
A. Hix, 1897-98; Frank W. Sears, 1898-99; Jack Killen, 1899-.
Secretaries.— Elihn'Ely, 1806-23; Ammi Doubleday, 1823-30; Daniel
Nash, 1830-31; Lewis F. Starkey, 1831-32; Josiah Blackman, 1832-37;
Stephen D. Hand, 1837-38; Nathan S. Davis, 1838-42; H. M. Baldwin,
1842; George Burr, 1842-44; James Brooks, 1844-45; N. S. Davis,
1845-49; C.E.Washburn, 1849-51; W. S. Griswold, 1851-54; Henry
S. West, 1854-57; Pelatiah Brooks, 1857-63; John G. Orton, 1863-79;
Joseph H. Chittenden, 1879-84; G. S. Redfield, 1884-85; Dan S. Burr,