with his circular saw mill. W. S. Shaw built a circular
saw and lath mill on Oxbow creek in 1879.
Religious and Temper.^nce Societies.
^ East Lemon M. E. C/iurch. — Rev. George Landon was
presiding elder in this district in 1856, and the preachers
in charge about that time were Revs. H. Brownscomb
and A. Griffin. In 1866 Revs. Thomas Jayne and Han-
sen were in charge, and they were followed by Rev. E.
In 1870 and 1871 the society built the present church
edifice at East Lemon. It was dedicated October 20th,
1 87 1, by Rev. B. I. Ives, of Auburn, N.Y. Rev. J. S. Lewis
was then pastor and the membership was 31. The
building committee consisted of William M. Stark,
Henry Harris, William S. Shaw and Joseph Shupp. The
first trustees were William S. Shaw, William M. Stark,
Henry Harris, Cyrus Shaw, Joseph Shupp, Fletcher
Dixon, Otis N. Stark, Lewis H. Shales and Orville Ball;
and the first sextcn was Henry C. Mott.
Rev. P. R. Tower was pastor from May, 1874 to May,
1876; then Rev. D. C. Barnes till May, 1879, when he
was followed by Rev. A. J. Cook, the present pastor. The
present trustees are William S. Shaw (president), J. R.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
Miller (secretary), O. N. Stark (treasurer), Cyrus Shaw,
Fletcher Dixon, Lewis H. Shales and P. A. Shupp.
Stark Methodht Episcopal Church is probably tie
parent society in this township. It is in the same charge
with the one at East Lemon and has the same preachers.
A Good Templars' Lodge was organized at East Lemon
March 14th, 1867, with the following charter members:
W. S. Shaw, W. C. T.; Mary E. Shaw, W. V. T.; Alonzo
H. Beebe, W. Chap.; W. Marion Shaw, W. Sec; John E.
Wagner, W. A. S.; Philip Schupp, W. F. S.; James
Stark, W. Treas.; Zachary Croop, W. M.; Sarah E. Stark,
W. D. M.; Perry A. Stark, W. I. G.; Samuel H. Stark,
W. O. G.; Oliver Ball, Sarah Billings and George Bedell.
N 1844 this township was formed from Wind-
ham. The name is of Indian origin. Many
relics of the savage occupants have been dis-
covered in this township. "I'he population of
Mehoopany was 888 in 1870 and 779 in 1880.
Amos York, who is believed to have been the
pioneer settler, came in 1775, built a log house and
HISTORY OF WYOMING COUNTY.
enclosed a considernble tract of land opposite and above
the mouth of Meshoppen creek; he afterward removed to
Wyalusing Elijah Phelps moved into his old log house.
During the invasion in 1778 York was killed.
Joseph Biles in his "field notes" of the survey of
the Susquehanna river, March 20th, 1796. noted eight
"pitches," by article of agreement dated June 24th,
1776; namely, to Elijah Phelps, 3 lots; Thomas Millard,
S lots; Amos York, 7 lots; Ichabod Phelps, 3 lots; Ben-
jamin Kilbouni, 6 lots; Thomas Millard, jr., i lot.
"Which said pitches begin at the mouth of the Mehoo-
pany creek, and extend in a northerly course up said
river as far as where the hill ends, containing 1,200 acres."
These men probably lived here nt the above date; for
we find Elijah Phelps, Amos York, Ichabod Phelps,
Thomas Millard and Thomas Millard, jr., petitioning
May 27th, 1778, the Assembly of Connecticut for an
abatement of their tixes, since they had suffered much
from being robbed and plundered by the Indians.
In 1791 Zephaniah Lott settled at the mouth of the
Mehoopany creek, on the present Jennings estate, and
Noah Phelps was the first settler whom Lott knew.
Stephen Arnold lived below Noah Phelps, as did Henry
Love, who came in 1795 and died in Mehoopany in
1S09. Henry Love served through the Revolution, and
on the last day at Yorktown, Va., was wounded in the
leg. Among the other settlers before 1800 was Asa
Budd, who settled on the present Jennings estate. The
farm now owned and occupied by John Love was settled
by Noah Phelps. In 1792 TertulUis Gofi raised grain
on the farm now owned by Mrs. Ellen Jennings. He
sold to Calvin Wheelock, and he in 1798 to Thaddeus
Prentis, and in 1819 Prentis sold to Joseph Swetland,
who subsequently sold to Jennings. Thomas Ellis, Wil-
liam Carney and Joseph Carney all lived below Love's
prior to 1800, and John Grist, Ezekiel Pray and George
Grist lived on Grist flats, in the bend of the river in the
southeast .part of the township. The farm now owned
by L. B. Williams was settled in 1810 by Ebenezer Gay
and family, who came from the Wyoming valley and in
1819 moved to the place where James Gay now lives.
Franklin Gay was born on the Williams farm in 1813.
The farm of John L. Hahn was settled in 1790 by John
Grist, sen., and family. They came from the Wyoming
valley. Isaac Doll in 1813 owned and occupied the farm
now owned by Charles B. Jayne.
The first framed house was built in 1806, by William
Carney, where Davis D. Jayne now lives; the next in
1818, at the village of Mehoopany — one at Mr. Kint-
ner's and the other where Peter 15ender now lives.
The earliest school-houses were of logs. One was
near where John Love now lives and the other on Grist
flats. Both have gone to decay. The oldest building
now in existence ever used for a school-house is the
union church, on the hill southeast from Mehoopany
village. David Estell taught in this building. Among
the surviving pupils are Hon. Henry Love, Almira
French, David Ross and John W. Vose.
The first saw-mill was built by Zephaniah and Leonard
Lott, on the site of the one now owned by Moses S. Kint-
ner. One was built about a half a mile further up that
stream about the same time; it went to decay many
years ago. There have been three saw-mills on the
Little Mehoopany. One was built by Mr. Carney as
early as rSoo, on the property now owned by H. H. K.
and J. French. The pioneer grist-mill was built in 1806,
two or three rods above the site of the present mill on
the Little Mehoopany, by William, Joseph and John Car-
ney. The present one was built in 1842, by Paul B. Jen-
nings, and is now owned by Joseph T. Jennings.
The old mill ran many years, and was com-
pletely worn out. The second grist-mill, built in 1823,
is a part of the present mill of Moses S. Kintner. The
earliest tannery was built on the Big Mehoopany in 1844,
by Ansel and Franklin Gay; it is now owned and oper-
ated by William Milehara. The next tannery, built by
G. W. Smith, in or about 1857, on the Little Mehoopany,
has been abandoned for tannery purposes. The pioneer
carding and cloth-mill was built in 1822, by Jonathan
A. Dudley and William Safford. Additions have been
made, including one in 1880 for planing boards. The
property is owned and operated by William Decker &
Son. Charles Evans and S. W. Ellsworth, about 1840,
started the first iron foundry. In 1842 Paul B. Jennings
built one on the Little Mehoopany, near the Jennings
grist-mill. This foundry was destroyed June 17th, 1870,
by a flood which carried the engine and boiler out into
the Susquehanna river; they have never been recovered.
About 1856 a small foundry was started on the site of the
present one. It was purchased by Ingham & Vose, who
enlarged and improved it to a first-class foundry. The
business is now carried on by their widows.
The first stone dwelling was built in 1840, by J. C.
AUworth, in the west part of the township. Two others
were built in 1850, by John L. Hahn and G. D. Smith.
The only brick building is the store put up in 1866 by
W. H. Barnes, at Mehoopany, and now occupied by W.
B. Barnes & Co. as a general dry goods and grocery store.
Iron plows were introduced about 1828 or 1829, by
Eben Potter, who in 1828 started a foundry at Meshop-
pen. The oldest graveyard is the one on Grist flats.
The pioneer blacksmiths were on Grist flats. Philip
Stranger worked there as early as 1815, and Frederick
Carney in 1819-20. The first tavern was kept at Arnold's
ferry as early as 1S15, by Zephaniah Lott.
The site of this village was formerly the property
of Elijah Phelps and Leonard Lott. The lower end
of the village was owned by Lott, and the upper end
by Phelps. Joseph Carney bought of Phelps and Wil-
liam Whipple of Lott, and commenced selling building
lots. The pioneer log tavern was kept by Joseph Car-
ney for many years and stood in front of the site of the
Mehoopany House. The first wagon maker here was
Tillinghast Carpenter, who came in the latter part of
1816 and in 1S17 built a lumber wagon and ox cart
for William Carney. These were the first of their kind
GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL RECORD,
W. H. BARNES.
William Henry Barnes was born in Fairfield, Herkimer
county, N. Y., January 31st, 1813, and came to Wyoming
county February 12th, 1830, from Ulster county, N. Y.
He began his business career in New York city, in 1827,
as clerk. A few months later he went to Saugerties,'
N. Y., and worked as a clerk. He came to Mehoopany
in 1834, where he commenced business on his own ac-
count. He has been postmaster a number of years.
J. S. CARPENTER.
James S. Carpenter was born in Mehoopany, in 1824.
His father came from Massachusetts in 1816, lived in
Mehoopany many years and died in March, 1880, at the
age of 84. His mother is still living near her son. Mr.
C. is the proprietor of the carriage factory at Carpenter-
ville, and has been connected with that establishment
for thirty-five years. Six workmen are employed in the
factory, and all styles of wagons and sleighs are made.
J. W. DENISON, M. D.
J. W. Denison, M. D., was born September 4th, 1818,
in Montrose, Pa.; graduated at Pittsfield, Mass., in 1839,
and commenced the practice of medicine in 1840; came
to^ Mehoopany in 1841 and practiced medicine about
thirteen years. On account of ill-health he abandoned
the active practice of medicine and engaged in the drug
trade, and is owner of the largest drug store in Wyoming
county. Dr. Denison is noted for his generosity toward
the poor. In his extensive practice no person was ever
neglected on account of poverty, and in the drug busi-
ness he is ever ready to help those who need help.
A. H. DOTY.
A. H. Doty was born in Vermont, in 1838, and at the
age of three removed to Herkimer county, N. Y.; resided
there about twenty-one years and came to Mehoopany.
Mr. Doty is the proprietor of the carriage factory in
Mehoopany, which was established in 1866, and of an-
other at Jenningsville. Light work is made a specialty
at Mehoopany, the heavier work being done at Jennings-
ville. Mr. D. has been overseer of the poor and constable.
J. L. HAHN.
John L. Hahn, farmer, was born in Northampton
county. Pa., in 1826, and with his parents in 1846 settled
where he now resides, about two miles from Mehoopany
village. He lived for a few years in Mehoopany village,
and while there speculated somewhat in land, and was in
1856 proprietor of a blacksmith shop.
S. D. INGHAM.
Samuel D. Ingham was born in Asylum, Bradford
county, Pa., in 1827. He came to Wyoming county in
1830, with his mother, who was a widow; his father,
Joseph Ingham, having died in 1829. His mother, who
was a Whitcomb, died in 1850. Mr. Ingham was a name-
sake of Hon. S. D. Ingham, Secretary of State under
Andrew Jackson. In 1868 he married his second wife,
Elizabeth Vose, born in 1833 in Forkston. Mrs. Ingham
was a graduate of Wyoming Seminary, and has taught
school for nearly twenty-five years, mostly in Wyoming
county. Mr. Ingham began business in Mehoopany in
1848, and continued until his death. May, 1877. He was
postmaster and justice of the peace many years.
HON. H. LOVE.
Hon. Henry Love was born in Braintrim (now Meshop-
pen). Pa., April sth, 181 1. In his younger days he was
for a time a teacher, but generally followed the mercan-
tile business. He has resided in Mehoopany since 1844.
He was elected justice of the peace in March, that year,
and held the office over twelve years, resigning to accept
the^ office of associate judge of Wyoming county in 1836,
which office he held for five years. He was county aud-
itor six years. John Love, his father, was a native of
Pennsylvania, and Incated in Wyoming county about
1796. His mother was born in Monroe county, and
came to Wyoming county about 1806. His father died
January i6th, 1867; his mother December 30th, 1871.
William gtemples was born in Monroe county, Pa.,
November 5fh, 1825. He removed with his parents when
about two years of age to Wyoming county, then a part of
Luzerne. Their first residence was Russell Hill, where
they remained two years. He then removed to Mehoo-
pany, where he resided till the day of his death, August
31st, 1877. He was married November 20th, 1857, to
Miss Anna Love, who lived about two years after their
marriage. She left a son named Henry Frank, who
lived after the death of his mother nine years. June 6th,
i860, Mr. Stemples married Miss Elizabeth Smith, of
Sussex county, N. J., with whom he lived happily during
the remaining eighteen years of his life. Five children
were born to them, viz.: Celestia M., born April 13th,
1861; Florence F., January 21st, 1864; Carra V., October
14th, 1866; Mary E., June 22nd, 187 1; Orrin, June 27th,
1873. Mr. Stemples was an able and successful farmer.
By industry, economy and good management he became
the owner of a good, vvell stocked and productive farm.
He was a good example of industry for young men. At
the age of 19 he became a convert to the Christian faith
and immediately united with the Methodist Episcopal
Church, of which he continued a faithful and acceptable
member till death. He gave liberally of his money for
its support. He served the church in nearly every official
capacity, being class leader, steward, trustee and Sunday-
school superintendent. During his last illness he was
sustained by a cheerful, trusting faith and was wonder-
fully patient in the midst of great suffering.
W. H. SWETLAND.
William H. Swetland, who has been justice of the
peace three terms, was born in Mehoopany, in 1836. His
father, Gordon Swetland, moved to Wyoming county in
1820. His great-grandfather was taken prisoner by the
Indians. His mother was born in New Jersey, and his
parents reside on the old homestead in Mehoopany.
T. L. VOSE.
Thomas L. Vose was born in Mehoopany. He formed
a ]iartnership with S. D. Ingham in the foundry business
in 1857, which continued till his death, August 5th, 1878.
He possessed great inventive genius. His wife was Hes-
ter M. Myers, born in Orange county, N.Y., in 1827, who
came to Mehoopany in 1832. In partnership with Mrs.
S. D. Ingham she manages the foundry at Mehoopany.
Edgar A. Adams was born in Forkston township, in
1854. He is station agent for theL.V. Railroad Company
at Mehoopany, and is telegraph operator and postmaster.
C. F. Decker, farmer, was born in Mehoopany town-
ship, in 1842. He served in the late war in the 143d
regiment Pennsylvania volunteers. He has lived on his
present farm fourteen years.
William Decker was born in New Jersey, in 1827, and
came to Mehoopany with his parents at the age of ten.
He is at present the oldest carpenter in Mehoopany. His
father Elijah Decker, was a native of New Jersey and a
farmer. His m'other was a native of Pennsylvania.
Frederick C. Denison, M.D., was born in Montrose,
Pa., May 7th, 1830, and located permanently in Mehoop-
any in 1856, when he began the practice of medicine.
He began reading medicine with the Hon. William T.
Humphrey, M.D., now of Osceola, Tioga county. Pa., and
graduated at the University of Michigan in March, 1856.
His father, Adam Benjamin Denison, was born in Ver-
HISTORY OF WYOMING COUNTY.
niont, was also a physician, and practiced at an early day
at Montrose, where he died in 1836. His mother, a na-
tive of Connecticut,died in 1872. Dr.Denison was a school
director six years, and he served in the late war.
George Henning was born in Winderhausen, Ger-
many, December 25th, 1817. He landed in New York
August 22nd, 1839, and came to Mehoopany in 1841, and
in 1845 married Mary Ann Bender. He soon afterward
took a short western trip, but returned and settled on the
farm of 370 acres where he now resides. He visited the
home of his nativity, in Germany, in 1871 and 1872. He
was elected county commissioner in 1869, for three years.
Samuel Jacoby was born in Sussex county, N. J., in
1819, and came to Wyoming county, with his parents, in
1832. He was a stone mason and farmer. He moved to
the farm now occupied by Mrs. Jacoby in 1867, and re-
mained there until his death, in 1872. Mrs. Jacoby was
born in Mehoopany, in 1833.
Harridon S. JTennings was born in Mehoopany, May
2ist,^ 1853, and is a grandson of Major John Fassett.
He lives at Mehoopany, and is a member of the firm of
H. S. Jennings & Co., dealers in general merchandise. He
married Bessie A. Bunnell, of Washington township.
Jabez W. Jennings was born in Bath, England, in
1822, and came to this country when fifteen years old.
He lived with his uncle. Bishop Jennings, for some time
before starting in life for himself. He was a farmer, and
died in 1872. His wife's maiden name was Ellen Smith.
She was born in Mehoopany, in 1839.
Joseph T. Jennings was born near Mauch Chunk, Pa.,
in 1827. He located in Mehoopany in 1830, where he
has since resided. His father, Paul B. Jennings, was a
native of England. He came to this country at the age
of eleven, locating in Philadelphia. His mother, whose
maiden name was Tuttle, was born in the Wyoming val-
ley, and is still living, at the age of eighty- four. Mr.
Jennings was for many years a merchant, but has lately
given his attention more particularly to lumbering.
S. W. Jennings was born in Mehoopany, in 1845. His
father, a native of England, and his mother lived in
Mehoopany from a comparatively early date until their
death. Mr. Jennings has been a carpenter since 1869.
He has been inspector one term and often township clerk.
Lieutenant William Jennings was born in Bath
England, in 1820, and came to this country in 1836. Fcr
fifteen years prior to r86o he was a merchant; then was a
farmer until his death, in 1872. He recruited a company
at the time of the invasion of the State, and was a lieu-
tenant in the late war. Mrs. Jennings, who survives her
husband, was born in Bradford county, in 1828, and came
to Mehoopany after her marriage in 1845.
Levi Kelley was born in Delaware county, N. Y.. in
1822, and came to Wyoming county in 1837. His father
and mother, who are both dead, were natives of New York
State. Mr. Kelley has been a farmer nearly all his life,
laut for the past four years has been living in retirement
in the village. He served in the g7lh regiment in 1865,
and was honorably discharged in June, that year.
Lieutenant Colonel J. C. Kintner was born in
Washington township, in 1838. His parents were natives
of Monroe county, and about 1836 settled in Washington
township. Mr. Kintner has been engaged in the mercan-
tile business as clerk and proprietor about twenty-three
years. In 1866 he commenced business for himself in
Mehoopany village. He is conducting a general store at
Jenningsville. During the late war he enlisted as a pri-
vate in the 52nd regiment Pennsylvania volunteers, and
served three years in that capacity, part of that time in
the signal corps. He was promoted to a captaincy in the
109th regiment United States colored troops, and was
mustered out of service in February, 1866; but is a mem-
ber of the Governor's staff, with the rank of lieutenant
colonel and assistant quartermaster general.
Moses S. Kintner was born in Monroe, Pa., in 1835.
He came to Mehoopany in 1844, and for a time was a
farmer. Afterward he was a carpenter until 1872. Since
that he has been a miller. He was elected justice of the
peace in 1863 and held the office two years.
Washington W. Miner was born in Chenango, Broome,
county, N. Y., July 13th, 1823. He is a harness maker
by trade, and began business in Windsor in 1836. In
1847 he became the first harness maker in Pittston,
where he married Ellen, daughter of Colonel Burns, who
died in 1850. In 1859 he married Sophia, daughter of
Peter Walter. He served in the militia as first lieutenant
in 1862, and afterward enlisted for nine months in the
171st regiment, and was discharged August 8th, 1863, at
Harrisburg. His father, William W. Miner, was also a
harness maker. He died in 1865. His mother, whose
maiden name was i^y iia Dorman, was a native of Broome
county, N. Y., where she resides.
C. C. Myers, almost a lifelong farmer, was born in
Orange county, N. Y., in 1830. When four years old he,
with his parents, settled on his present farm.
Daniel Myers was born in Orange connty, N. Y. in
1826, and came to Wyoming county with his parents in
1835. His father and mother were both natives of New
York State. The former is still living in Owego, N. Y.
His mother died about two years ago.
William Place was born in Monroe county, Pa., in
182 1, and came to Washington township when two years
old. He has lived on his present farm twenty-five years.
His wife's family were early settlers of the town.
T. H. Ryan was born at Binghamton, N. Y., in 1849,
and came with his parents to Meshoppen that year.
His parents were both natives of Ireland, and his mother
is still living at Meshoppen. Mr. Ryan is a blacksmith,
and has been engaged in the business in Mehoopany
seven years. He has served as inspector one terra.
John Sheehan, a native of Ireland, was born in county
Cork, in 1830. He came to America in 1836 and located
in Mehoopany. His wife was a Miss Lott, daughter of
one of the first settlers. Mr. Sheehan is a farmer, and
has been school director and supervisor.
E. W. Sturdevant was born in Wyoming county, in
1834, and came to reside in Mehoopany in 1857. 'Mr.
Sturdevant formerly owned the "Big Mehoopany Mills,"
but for a number of years he has been engaged in lum-
bering. He has held the office of justice of the peace.
Gordon S wetland, farmer, was born in 1803; in
Kingston township, Luzerne county, and in 1S09, with
his parents, settled on Grist Flats, about two and a half
rniles from Mehoopany village. He was justice two years
(from 1845), and sheriff 1851-54.
G. K. Thompson was born in Foikston township, in
1838. He came to Mehoopany in 1877 and kept the
Mehoopany House three years. Mr. Thompson was a
member of the 12th Pa. reserves eighteen months. He
IS agent for agricultural implements and a butcher.
L. B. Williams was born in Mehoopany township
(.then Windham), in 1834. His parents formerly resided
on the farm he now occupies. He has lived there for
htty years and has twice served as assessor.
Rolla Whipple was born in Mehoopany, in 1839.
His father, George Whipple, was one of the early settlers
there. His mother, whose maiden name was Harding,
was born in Eaton. Mr. Whipple served a short time in
the State militia.
The following citizens of Mehoopany also contributed
their support to this publication: I. F. Blume, E M. Da-
vis, William Decker, Charles Place, Jerome Remington,
U if. Vosburg, Riley Vosburg, J. L. Vose
M E HOOPANV, TP. WYOrviliviG CO.,Pf
DAVID D. DEWITT, TUNKHAiMNOCK, TP.
WYOMING COoNiY, r^A.
WILLIAM SWETLAND.MEHOOPAN Y, TP.
WYOMING COUNTY, PA.
D" NATHAN WELLS,
Vl ESHOPPE N, T p. WYOMING. CO., PA.
MA H O N":: STORE. .
MAHON HOUSE,W'!<MAH0N,PFiOP. O LYPHANT, LACKAWAN NA CO., PA. £
^^^ps*: ■ ''^-■''«®^si^^^^^^^^^^^^'
BISHOP BROS., MANU FACTUR ERSOrTINWARE AND
MINERS LAMRS, ARCHBAUD, LACKAWANNA CO, PA
roUNDER of FRECl-AMO.
RESIDENCE of AUGUSTUS VON OONO P, FREETL AN D, LU Z ER N E CO., PA.
„ MRS. BIRKBECK, FOSTER, TP.
"THE B RKBECK HOMESTEAD"
RESIDENCE of MRS JOSEPH B I R K B E C K,FO S T E B TOWN SHIP, LUZERNECO- PA.
MEHOOPANY VILLAGE— FIRST SETTLERS OF MESHOPPEN TOWNSHIP.
ever made or used in this township, and had to be
taken to Meshoppen to be ironed. Mr. Carpenter's
shop was one of the back rooms of the old Tayne house,
still standing on Main street. The pioneer doctor was
Elijah Carney. He lived in the old house now used
by Ingham & Vose for storing lumber and patterns. A
tavern was built in 1827 or 1828 by Daniel Hicks, on
the site of the residence of Hon. Henry Love. The
third tavern was a part of the present Jennings House.
A part of the front of the building was put up by
Daniel Hicks in 1838, and in 1850 John Maynard built
the addition, leaving it as it is at present. The first