eBooksRead.com books search new books
Zeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) Pease.

History of New Bedford (Volume III) online

. (page 12 of 33)
Online LibraryZeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) PeaseHistory of New Bedford (Volume III) → online text (page 12 of 33)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

English, he entered his name with the International Correspondence
School of Scranton for the stationary engineering course. The result of
his study and practical knowledge gained as a worker in the engine room




Z.g'-'IS J^csfiT.-r^ii/j^^'^ C^



ua-vt^ G • '^-e^'^^'^t2t./-^x



NEW BEDFORD 395

of the Bennett Mill was the procuring of a license, certifying him a fire-
man of the second class. This brought him a position as assistant fire-
man at the Bennett Mill No. 2, and his experience and further study
brought him a fireman's license of the first class. Still continuing his
studies while working as fireman, he passed the required examination
and received a license as an engineer of the second class, his attainments
permitting him to pass the third class grade. Next came a position as
assistant engineer, followed in due season by his receiving his license as
an engineer of the first class, the goal for which he had been so earnestly
striving, studying while others slept or played, and giving up all else to
further his purpose of becoming a first class engineer. In 1905 he be-
came assistant engineer with the Union Street Railway at the New Bed-
ford power house, and in 1910 was appointed to his present position,
chief engineer, having been in the United States twenty-two years. The
quality of the man is shown in his achievement, and no estimate of the
strength of his character, his courage or his determination is too high.

Manuel C. Luiz was born in the Azores, August 24, 1873, and there
attended public school until twelve years of age, coming to the United
States in 18S8. Mr. Luiz is a member of the New England Association
of Stationar}' Engineers ; member of the Union Street Railway Em-
ployees ; is a Republican in politics ; a communicant of Mount Carmel
Roman Catholic Church, and a lover of out-of-door sports, particularly
boating and fishing. He is a man thoroughly respected by all who know
him.

Mr. Luiz married, January 23, 1892, in New Bedford, Izabel T. Fon-
seca. Mr. and Mrs. Luiz are the parents of a son, Manuel, born in 1894,
and a daughter, Margaret, born in 1905.



LOUIS E. DESTREMPS.



Five generations before Louis E. Destremps, New Bedford's highly
esteemed architect, first saw the light in his Canadian home, an ances-
tor, and an eminent surgeon, arrived in Canada from Bordeaux, France,
but yielding to the opportunities for trade he abandoned his profes-
sion and became a wealthy merchant and ship owner. Louis E. Des-
tremps is a son of Louis G. Destremps, an architect, to whose capable
instruction and wise guidance the young man owes much of the success
which has come to him in his profession. He and his wife Celina yet
reside at Fall River.

Louis E. Destremps was born in Montreal, Canada, June 9, 1875.
His parents came to New York City where he attended public school
until the removal to Fall River, Massachusetts. After completing
grammar school courses his father placed him under private tutors, in-
tending him to enter college, but circumstances altered their plans and
the young man decided to prepare for his father's profession, architect.



396 NEW BEDFORD

He was then eighteen years of age, and for four years he applied him-
self diligently, even going out and taking regular courses of instruc-
tion in the various building trades. This thorough instruction created
not only a designer of beautiful structures, but one who can intelli-
gently superintend the construction and meet every mechanic on his
ground. At the age of twenty-two, he left his father's office, went to
Newport and there entered the employ of Andrews & Withers, archi-
tects of Newport and New York. From Newport he went to the firm's
New York office and from there was sent to the various operations
that they were conducting, his ability to superintend construction so
capably rendering him a very valuable assistant. With this experience,
he returned to Fall River and there spent a year with his father, after
which he was for a time in New London, Connecticut, coming to New
Bedford in 1905 and opening an office in the Masonic Building. In
1907 he moved to his present offices in the New Bedford Theatre Build-
ing, where he serves a large and discriminating clientele. While Mr.
Destremps has designed and superintended the erection of many public
and private buildings in New Bedford and vicinity, perhaps the build-
ings which have given pleasure and enjoyment to the greatest number
of people are the Fort Phoenix Baths and allied buildings, their full
enjoyment, however, to follow the development of the pergola plan of
the last building. Among other buildings he has designed are the
Third District Court Building, the Star Store, the Betsey Winslow
School, the Lincoln School, the Jireh Swift School and many others,
public and private. He is not only a designer of buildings, but possesses
the genius to fit his buildings to their location and to the purpose for
which they are intended. Harmony prevails, and his designs have har-
monv written large all over them. The front of one of his buildings
could never be mistaken for a side or rear elevation, nor a factory be
mistaken for a school, nor a school for a church. His work is artistic
as well, and in the practical features of his profession he has the ad-
vantage of understanding the technicalities of the diiTerent trades. Like
most professional men he is a lover of the out-of-doors and farm life.
He paints in oils and indulges his artistic nature in all it impulses and
cravings. He is one of the incorporators of The New Bedford Institution
for Savings, and served as councilman at Fall River for three years.
When the Spanish-American War broke out he was a private of Battery
M, of Fall River, Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, but was honorably dis-
charged, May 2, 1898, not being able to pass the physical tests required
before the battery was admitted to the United States army. Although
Battery M was stationed at Fort Warren in Boston Harbor, they were
not called to active service in the field. He is a member of the Benevo-
lent and Protective Order of Elks, and several other orders, and belongs
to the Massachusetts Forestry Association. His clubs are the Dart-
mouth, Plymouth and Merchants of New Bedford ; he is a member of
the Chambres De Commerce, Franco-Americane. and for two years he



NEW BEDFORD 397

served as second vice-president and for two years first vice-president
of the New Bedford Board of Trade. In religious faith he is a Catholic,
belonging to the Church of the Sacred Heart.

Mr. Destremps married in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, June 16, 1897,
Antonia Labrode, daughter of Harmidas and Alice (Grandchamp) Lab-
rode. Mr. and Mrs. Destremps are the parents of Louis L., a student
of Dean Academy at Franklin, Massachusetts ; Pauline F., a student
at Jesus Mary Convent, Fall River; Francis C, attending Sacred Heart
parochial school.

BARNEY ZEITZ.

A business which was developed to one of large proportions in
New Bedford was established by Mr. Zeitz with a capital of about fifty
dollars. The first dealing was in small second hand soda fountains,
but to-day the Mercantile Wrecking Company will contract to dismantle
any plant regardless of its size and pay cash for the amount of their
purchase. In addition he is head of a wholesale and retail hardware
business which occupies a five-story brick building on Union street.

Barney Zeitz was born in Russia, Europe, February 3, 1882, son
of Koppel and Fannie Zeitz, the former deceased, the latter living in
New Bedford with her son Barney. When very young his parents came
to the United States, landing in New York City, later coming to New
Bedford. He attended the public school of New Bedford until twelve
years of age, then began assisting his father who was head of the New
Bedford Bottling Company. For three years he continued with his
father, then went with Bliss & Nye, crockery dealers, remaining with
them one year as driver and deliverer. He then spent two years with
his father, a bottler of mineral waters, this suggesting the business in
which he then engaged, the buying of soda fountain plants, removing
them and selling to new customers desiring to install a fountain. The
fifty dollars capital with which he began business soon grew to sizable
proportions from accrued profits, and he was encouraged to add to his
dealing everything that could be resold at a profit. So the Mercantile
Wrecking Company was born and stands ready to purchase and remove
all metal machinery or fixtures of any kind and in any quantity. Recent
operations have been the purchase and removal of the machinery of
the old Atlas Tack Company and the Taunton & New Bedford Copper
Company Switches, these purchases all having been disposed of to good
advantages. A more recent purchase is a handsome steam yacht, the
price $25,000. The offices of the company are at No. 1082 Purchase
street, Mr. Zeitz being the owner and manager. This buying and selling
of metals, machinery and merchandise has been the main business of his
life, but he has other interests. In 1905 he opened a loan office at No.
90 Union street and later a jewelry store at No. 123 Union street, his
brother Harry being interested with him. He sold both stores, about



398 NEW BEDFORD

191 1, and then started a wholesale and retail hardware business at No.
90 Union street, which eighteen months later he moved to the five-story
brick building, Nos. 132-144 Union street. This business he yet owns in
addition to that of the Mercantile Wrecking Company. The hardware
business was most modestly started with very little capital, but has
grown to be the largest of its kind in New Bedford. The success he
has met with in his other business has come from his great ability as
an appraiser of values. His long experience, keen judgment and quick
brain enable him to appraise at a glance, and he makes few mistakes as
he knows the market value of everything he buys. He is a member of the
Board of Trade. Mr. Zeitz is unmarried.



HARMIDAS PIERRE DION.

Since 1887 the bakery at No. 1070 County street. New Bedford,
from which emanates "Butter Krust'' Bread, was established by Har-
midas P. Dion, who is one of the proprietors and manager. He is a
great-grandson of Henri Dion, born in Varenne, Province of Quebec,
Canada, whose son, Jean Baptiste Dion, was born at St. Marie de Manon,
Quebec, Canada, and married Catherine Candon. He was a farmer of his
native province, a devout Roman Catholic, an industrious man of good
character. Children: John B., of further mention; Julie; Marie; Timo-
thy ; Celina ; Azelda and Israel Dion. John B. Dion, the eldest son of
Jean Baptiste Dion, was born in St. Marie de Manon, Quebec, Canada,
June 29, 1827, died in St. Athanase. Canada, July 26, 1882, a blacksmith.
He married Zoe Nerbonne, a farmer's daughter, born in St. Athanase,
April 6, 1834, she being seventeen years of age when married. Children :
Jean B., a merchant of New Bedford; Harmidas P., of further men-
tion.

Harraidas Pierre Dion, son of John B. and Zoe (Nerbonne) Dion,
was born in St. Athanase d' Iberville, Province of Quebec, Canada, June
27, 1859. He attended the parochial school in St. Athanase until coming
to New Bedford in 1868, finishing his studies in Foster street public
school of that city. He was variously employed until 1884, when in
partnership with his brother, Jean B. Dion, he established a furniture
business. Three years later he entered his present field of activity.
His business established thirty-three years ago has grown to large pro-
portions, the plant a wonder of modern equipment, cleanliness and
sanitary condition. His best known product, "Butter Krust" bread, is
made from the best Minnesota flour by experienced bakers and scarcely
touched by human hands until delivered in air-proof packages to the
purchaser. A keen visioned business man, industrious and progressive,
Mr. Dion has given a good account of his years in New Bedford, and has
other business interests in addition to his bakery business. A Republican
in politics, he represented his district in Common Council in 1895 and





^CtA/I^Hyi ^^i^-




NEW BEDFORD 399

1896; is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, No.
73 ; Loyal Order of Moose ; Francs Tireurs ; treasurer of the Supreme
Conseil, ten years, 1900-1910; Franco-Americaine Federation, treasurer
1894-1900; Catholic Men's Benevolent Association, president 1914-1916;
La Gaiete Club ; and a communicant of St. Francois Xavier Church,
Roman Catholic.

Mr. Dion married (first) at St. Athanase d' Iberville, Canada, July
12, 1881, Rosalie Boucher, born November 28, 1861, died February 3,
1895, daughter of Marcel and Marie Sylvestre Boucher, her father a
farmer. He married (second) in New Bedford, Massachusetts, Novem-
ber 2, 1895, Cecelia St. Amour, born in Ottawa, Canada, November 7,
1877, daughter of Joseph and Adele (Lauzon) St. Amour, her father a
sawmill operator and foreman. Harmidas Pierre and Rosalie (Boucher)
Dion were the parents of one child, Aumore, born April 15, 1885, a
graduate of Drummondville Convent, Quebec, Canada, married Arthur
Perron, and resides in New Bedford. Children of Harmidas Pierre and
Cecelia (St. Amour) Dion: Cecile, born November 20, 1902; Roland,
July 21, 1904; Raymond, January 17, 1906; Omer, November 14, 1907;
Henri, January 25, 1910; Normand, January i, 1912.



LEON PIERRE BRAUN.



As organist, composer and instructor, Mr. Braun is well known to
the music lovers of New Bedford, Massachusetts, having been a resident
of that city since 1901. His fame as a composer is more than local, sev-
eral of his numbers published by Theodore Presser, of Philadelphia, hav-
ing met with a large sale in the Lfnited States and Canada, and as organ-
ist of the Church of the Sacred Heart for the past sixteen years, lovers of
the grand organ have been delighted with his skillful manipulation of
that wonderful instrument. Mr. Braun was born in Bitsche in the dis-
trict of Kreis Sarrgemiind, Lorraine, about eight miles from Metz. the
province having passed from France to Germany as a result of the War
of 1870. During that war the town was shelled vigorously by the Ger-
mans, and in the final settlement it nearly remained a part of France, but
Belfort was retained instead and Bitsche ceded to Germany. While Mr.
Braun's family were Germans for many generations back and spoke the
German language in common with a great majority of the people of the
town, they greatly preferred French rule, having thoroughly imbibed
the spirit of liberty, equality and fraternity. It was very hard for them
to pass under the rule of German imperialism and many thousands left
the province, Mr. Braun's parents among them. When he was nineteen
years of age he returned to his birthplace with his mother. As he had
been born under German rule, even though he had left when a baby, he
was called to render his allotted years of war military service, but he
crossed the border into France and there he remained at the home of an



400 NEW BEDFORD

uncle until joined by his mother. His father, Nicholas Braun, was
organist in Bitsche until 1877, then came to America, settling in Mon-
treal, Canada, being there appointed organist at the Sacred Heart Church,
a position he filled for thirty-five years.

Leon Pierre Braun, born in Bitsche, Alsace-Lorraine, Germany, in
1873, was brought to Montreal, Canada, by his parents in 1877, and there
was educated and received musical instruction from his talented father,
who was his only teacher on the pipe organ. He completed a commercial
course at Sacred Heart School, at the age of fourteen, and a classical
course at St. Mary's Jesuits College, Montreal, at the age of twenty, and
while at college was organist of the college choir. While abroad on his
visit to his birthplace with his mother, previously mentioned, they spent
some time in Paris, where he took a course of instruction on the piano
under the celebrated teacher, Louis Diemer. After leaving college he
began teaching music, and in 1894 was appointed organist and choir-
master at the Church of the Nativity, Montreal. He filled that position
most acceptably until 1898, then for one year occupied the same relation
to the Church of St. Vincent de Paul. In the year 1900, he came to the
United States to fill an engagement as organist at the Church "des
Saints Agnes," St. Albans, Vermont, there remaining until 1901, when
he came to New Bedford as organist and choir-master at the Church of
the Sacred Heart.

His connection with the music of Sacred Heart Church brought him
into relation with musicians and music lovers, and he has been most
favorably received as a teacher and tuner. His classes of both piano and
organ students are large, and through a business arrangement with the
music dealing firms he is able to negotiate occasional sales of instru-
ments. He is a member of Local No. 214, American Federation of Musi-
cians, and has contributed largely toward raising New Bedford's musical
standard. He has composed many numbers which have been published,
most of them carefully arranged for the use of students and very care-
fully graded. Among these is a popular tarantella, "Napolita," "Pansies
and Roses," "Risette," a petite farandole, "Dancing Nymphs," "Young
Heroes March," all published by Presser, of Philadelphia, and valse de
concert, "Les Fleurs," published by C. W. Thompson, of Boston. Both
he and his wife are ardent supporters of everything that is good in music,
and wherever there is a good concert being given they are to be found.
Mr. Braun, with his wide and varied experience and musical attainments,
is exerting an influence in the right direction and one result of his work
is seen in the German singing society, "Arbeiter Liedertafel," of which
he was conductor for several years until obliged to retire through press
of engagements. He is a member of the Loyal Order of Moose, the
Francs Tireurs, Workmen's Sick and Death Benefit Association, Ameri-
can Federation of Musicians, Arbeiter Leidertafel, Chamber De Com-
merce (Franco-Americaine), and a communicant of Sacred Heart Parish,
Roman Catholic.



NEW BEDFORD 401

Mr. Braun married in Montreal, Canada, January 30, 1901, Laura
Angelina Roy, born at Lacadie, Province of Quebec, Canada, January 15,
1875, daughter of Laurent and Eleonore Roy. her father a retired farmer.
Mr. and Mrs. Braun are the parents of four children: Leon Alfred Nicho-
las, born February 22, 1902; Leopold Laurent Simon, July 13, 1903;
Laurette Julie Beatrice, November 9, 1907; Marcel Emile, July 19, 1914.



WILLIAM W. CRAPO.

William Wallace Crapo is by unanimous consent reckoned the First
Citizen. This was an honor conceded to him many years ago, and he
has retained it through several generations. He is eighty-eight years old,
and the span of his life covers the transition of the city from a village to
the greatest whaling port in the world, and from the famous whaling
port to the first position among the cities of the United States in the
manufacture of cotton. Of these developments he has been a part, and
is still active in the management of great business afifairs connected with
the textile industry and its financing. He retains at the present time the
presidency of cotton mills and banks, and is consulted in the great affairs
of the community. His prominence as a business man would make his
local fame secure, but he receives admiring consideration from his fellow
citizens for other attributes and services. For a half century he has been
considered the most graceful and captivating orator. He has been the
first choice as a speaker whenever any extraordinary occasion has called
the citizens together. His reputation would be secure and permanent if
it rested alone upon the addresses, charming in reminiscence and polished
in style, delivered upon the occasion of the celebration of the great anni-
versaries in local history, which have called the people together in the
past, at the two hundredth Dartmouth anniversary in 1867, at the Cen-
tennial in 1876, the fiftieth anniversary of the incorporation of the city in
1897, and when it came to the selection of the most effective orator for
the dedication of the Bourne Whaling Museum, but two years ago, he
was still, by common agreement, the first choice. Not only has he
achieved the leading position in the business and literary life of the com-
munity, but he acquired State and National prominence in his political
career, and wide fame as public servant, historian and leading member
of the local bar. And to-day, as he walks the streets amid the lengthen-
ing shadows, he carries dignity and reverence in his presence, is full of
honors and crowned with esteem.

Mr Crapo is sentimentally attached to every nook and corner of Old
Dartmouth and has done more than any other man to preserve its his-
tory. The collections at the Free Public Library and the Old Dart-
mouth Historical Society are enriched by his contributions, not only of
his own research and literature, but by paintings, books and pamphlets.



N B— 25



402 NEW BEDFORD

The statue of "The Harpooner," elsewhere described, was his gift to the
city. Every morning Mr. Crapo is at his desk in the law- offices of Crapo,
Clifford & Prescott, and he is still the trusted advisor and inspirer of
many perplexed and often discouraged business men who seek his com-
forting philosophy. He can recall how in the past the perplexities and
discouragements of earlier generations have resolved into the general
prosperity of the community.

William Wallace Crapo, of the sixth recorded generation of his fam-
ily, only son of Henry Howland Crapo, who was afterwards Governor of
Michigan, was born at Barney's Joy, in the town of Dartmouth, May i6,
1830. Two years later his parents moved to New Bedford, where he has
since dwelt. Like his father, he was an accomplished student, and mak-
ing the law his goal, neglected no detail of preliminary preparation. He
completed New Bedford public school courses with graduation from
high school, and in turn was graduated from Phillips Academy, An-
dover; Friends' Academy, New Bedford, and Yale College, being
awarded his Bachelor's degree with the class of 1852. In college he was
conspicuous for literary achievements and was chosen class poet. After
graduation from Yale, Mr. Crapo began the study of law in the office of
Governor John H. Clifford, then entered Harvard Law School and was
graduated Bachelor of Laws in the class of 1854. He was admitted to
the Bristol county bar in 1855, located in New Bedford for practice, and
now, sixty-two years later, is the senior member of the law firm, Crapo,
Cliiiford & Prescott. every day to be found at his desk in the Masonic
building During his early years his practice was largely admiralty law
and he was connected with the "Geneva Award" and the distribution of
the "Alabama Claims." The "Alabama" destroyed scores of vessels and
the owners and crews, or their heirs, were compensated later on by Eng-
land. In later years Mr. Crapo's practice has been largely in connection
with the affairs of corporations. In his first year as a legal practitioner,
Mr. Crapo was appointed city solicitor and held the office from 1855 until
1867, a period of twelve years. He was chairman of the water board from
1865 to 1875. As the years progressed he was chosen to administer many
estates, often to serve as guardian and trustee, until more business of
that nature poured in upon him than he could attend to. There are few
enterprises of a public nature inaugurated in New Bedford during the
last half century with which his name is not connected in some capacity
and whether as legal adviser or official, his rare judgment, keen fore-
sight and wise counsel has been strongly relied upon to bring success.
In 1870 Mr. Crapo was chosen president of the Mechanics' National
Bank, and remained as the head of that institution until 1904. He was
chosen the executive head of the New Bedford Institution for Savings in
1896, a position he still holds. He is the president of the Wamsutta,
Potomska and Acushnet mills and is in his quietly aggressive way, a
power everywhere. Through his father, he became interested in Michi-



NEW BEDFORD 403

gan investments, was for many years president of the Flint & Pere Mar-
quette Railroad Company, acquiring extensive lumber interests. Mr.
Crapo is at the present time a director of the Genesee County Savings
Bank of Flint. He served many years as a director of the International
Trust Company of Boston, and held many directorships in manufactur-
ing and railroad corporations, his business interests being so extensive



Online LibraryZeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) PeaseHistory of New Bedford (Volume III) → online text (page 12 of 33)
Using the text of ebook History of New Bedford (Volume III) by Zeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) Pease active link like:
read the ebook History of New Bedford (Volume III) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014