Zeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) Pease.

History of New Bedford (Volume III) online

. (page 14 of 33)
Online LibraryZeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) PeaseHistory of New Bedford (Volume III) → online text (page 14 of 33)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


at rest in Oak Grove Cemetery, there was an unusual display of public
sorrow. The many corporations with which he was connected passed
suitable resolutions of respect and many eulogies were uttered. One of
these expressions of respect was that passed, August 21, 1893, by the
board of directors of the National Bank of Commerce :

Resolved, That the Directors of the National Bank of Commerce of
New Bedford recognize that in the death of their late vice-president, the
Hon. William J. Rotch, they have lost not only the guidance and assist-
ance of one upon whose wisdom and character they were accustomed to
lean, but also the companionship of one whose charmmg personality
commanded the respect and won the friendship of his associates. And
they desire thus to record their appreciation of the value to this bank
of his long and constant service of more than forty years.

William J. Rotch married (first) in 1842, Emily Morgan, eldest
daughter of Charles W. and Sarah (Rodman) Morgan. Mrs. Rotch died
in 1861, leaving seven children, one, Charles M., dying in infancy. The
others are: i. William, married Mary Rotch Eliot, of New Bedford, now
resident of Boston. 2. Helen, married Dr. Thomas Morgan Rotch, for-
merly of Boston ; Dr. Rotch died March 9, 1914, and Mrs. Rotch died Sep-
tember 3, 1914. 3. Isabel M., the widow of Pierre Severance, of Boston,
who died in 1886. 4. Sarah R., the widow of Frederick Swift, of New
Bedford. 5. Emily M., married Dr. J. T. Bullard, of New Bedford. 6.
Anna S., married Francis H. Stone, of New Bedford. Mr. Rotch mar-
ried (second) in 1866, Clara, youngest sister of his first wife, who sur-
vives him. The daughter of this marriage, Mary R. Rotch, died Febru-
ary 19, 1917. From 1S76 until 1881, the winter home of the family was
in Boston, the summer home, the County Street Mansion, built by James
Arnold, an uncle of Mr. Rotch. In 1881-1882 Mr. Rotch with his wife
and four daughters toured Europe, returning to New Bedford in the fall
of 1882.

Mrs. Clara (Morgan) Rotch is a daughter of Charles Wain Mor-
gan, born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 14, 1796, died at his
home on County street (the present site of New High School), New Bed-
ford, Massachusetts, April 7, 1861, son of Thomas and Anne (Wain)
Morgan. He located in New Bedford in 1819, became an extensive ship-
ping merchant in connection with the whaling industry, and ranked
among the wealthy and prominent men of the city. He was a man of
strict integrity, and most generous nature, there yet existing monuments
to his philanthropy and bountiful liberality. Mr. Morgan was an incor-
porator of the New Bedford Institution for Savings in 1825 ; a founder



412 NEW BEDFORD

of the New Bedford Lyceum in 1826; member of the committee in charge
of the erection of the First Congregational Church, 1836-38; a contribu-
tor to the fund to establish Friends' Academy ; donor of the second trust
fund to New Bedford Free Public Library, established under the act of
1851 ; portraits of George Howland, Jr., donor of the first fund, and of
Charles W. Morgan adorning the library walls, with those of other
friends of the institution.

Mr. Morgan married, June 3, 1819, Sarah Rodman, born October 31,
1793, died September 26. 1888, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Rotch)
Rodman, a direct descendant of John Rodman, of Barbadoes, tather of
Thomas Rodman, of the same place and Newport, Rhode Island, 1640-
172S. Charles \V. and Sarah (Rodman) Morgan were the parents of:
Emily, born December 31, 1821, died in 1861, married William J. Rotch;
Samuel Rodman, born August 18, 1824, married Josephine Wharton
Craig, of Philadelphia; Isabel, born October 21, 1829, died May 18, 1847;
Elizabeth Rodman, born February 20, 1833, the widow of George Hus-
sey, of New Bedford, Mrs. Hussey is still living at an advanced age;
Clara, born December i, 1836, married \\'illiam J. Rotch, whom she sur-
vives, a resident of New Bedford.



FRANK RIVERS KIRBY.



For over thirty years Frank Rivers Kirby was one of New Bedford's
successful merchants, and when, at the close of his years, sixty-five, he
journeyed to "that bourne from which no traveler ever returns," he left
behind him the memory of a man, genial and kindly to all, honorable and
upright in every business transaction, quiet and retiring, very fond of
his home and family. He came to New Bedford a man of mature years,
and experienced in mercantile business, and in the city of his adoption
bought out an established bakery and confectionery store, later known
as Bates, Kirby & Company.

Mr. Kirby was of the eighth generation of the family founded in
Lynn, Massachusetts, in 1636, by Richard Kirby, who the next year
was one of the founders of Sandwich, and later of the town of Dart-
mouth that ancient town which at one time included New Bedford.
This Richard Kirby moved to Dartmouth after 1660, and there died
in 1688. being succeeded by his son, Richard (2) Kirby, of Sandwich
and Dartmouth. He married (first) Patience Gififord, of Sandwich,
their son, Robert Kirby, being a resident of that part of Dartmouth
which, in 1787. became the town of Westport, his homestead of two
hundred and twelve acres lying both sides of the Coaxit river. With
Robert Kirby membership in the Society of Friends began officially,
although both his father and grandfather were friendly to the Soci-
ety, but are not of record as members. Robert Kirby married Re-
becca Potter, the next in line being their son, Nathaniel Kirby, who mar-




"^s A^sfffj-r^a/ j^^



c^7V^^.^



Online LibraryZeph. W. (Zephaniah Walter) PeaseHistory of New Bedford (Volume III) → online text (page 14 of 33)